Speaker 1: Hey, Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify, or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Hey, so, I'm gonna do a little psychic prediction for all our listeners who remember what connecting to the Internet with dial up sounded like. Okay, ready, I predict your back hurts.
Speaker 2: My back hurts. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Oh do I really have to explain it to me? How old are you if you remember what dial up sounds like?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wait, I get it? Yeah, okay, mine is the first thing to go.
Speaker 3: Apparently, I'm gonna pretend I got it and just.
Speaker 1: Kept silent like always. Hey, guess what it's Security this week. We've got a few stories for you. I'm Carl, that's Dwayne and Patrick. Let's start with Tom's hardware story. Critical mac os screen sharing flaw gives attackers remote root access Sissa bumps bug to nine point eight severity following active mono crypto jacking attacks.
Speaker 3: Finally, some love or is this hate for mac Os?
Speaker 2: I think it targets a Target's a target, that's true. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Well, in the past, you know, Apple users thought they were impervious to bugs and hacking and and all that stuff in the past. Yeah, in the past really started.
Speaker 2: The president and future was yesterday.
Speaker 1: The past well, okay, but a long long time ago, I mean forever. Yea, you know they've been rubbing in in our face. Hey, mac Os doesn't crash, right and probably you know, by design they own the hardware, they own everything. And yeah, Microsoft, well.
Speaker 3: It didn't also didn't hurt that they only had one percent market share.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. But Microsoft has a Windows has a hardware abstraction layer and drivers that are built by all these third party companies, so by design they're more susceptible to crashing. But yeah, I agree, I'm I'm feeling a little a little smug right now.
Speaker 4: Live shot in Freida live shot in Now this this one was also upgraded, so the cv the CVSS score went from seven to one to nine point eight.
Speaker 2: But is it warranted August fourteenth, Yeah, it is. So what it happened before is this was classified as a not so important. You know, yes, somebody can bypass it, but they have to have a local, low priview user and.
Speaker 3: It wasn't catastrophic in their opinion based on the first exploit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So, you know, it is interesting to watch some of these some of these scores change and one of the major reasons this one changed is because now they're saying the attack is what's called automatable.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't require any access.
Speaker 2: At all exactly. So now a as long as you have access to that port, you don't need a user name and password, and you can you can absolutely exploit this, and that's that's why they were seeing all these crypto minors. It was literally just automatable. So that actually up the score.
Speaker 1: When you say automatable, does that mean you have to be in the proximity of it or on the same network or what.
Speaker 2: Just as long as Port fifty nine hundred is actually open to the internet. So if you want to remote desktop into your you know, your Mac, yeah, and start using things, right, that port's probably open. I mean, if honestly, the dear listener, you probably should have a VPN. But yes, we've seen this, oh my god, yeah, this many times. You know, easy put it up there so that you can actually connect to it from anywhere. And the problem is, how about a firewall too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, Mac users don't use firewalls. No, no, no need, we don't need those stinking firewalls.
Speaker 2: Very very secure.
Speaker 3: Now so far, they're lucky that the Manaro crypto mining is the only thing that's happening. And I've seen there's been actually a lessening of ransomware.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that is, but maybe it's because crypto is doing better.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I haven't looked, but you're you're absolutely right. There's there's a couple of different stories that I went through where it looks like crypto mining is back. A lot of it's minarrow. Actually, Minero is really good if you want to hide what you're buying, okay, Dwayne, because of the way it works anyways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's like the difference between someone burning or how down or ordering a fake pizza. Yeah, true, I'd much rather have the fake pizza than the burning yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know it is interesting. I think you know, we're going to probably start to see automatable be a more important statistic in attacks, especially with AI. Right, right, if I can get an AI, because automatable now is not. Hey, do you have a really bright developer who can write a script that kind of bypasses things? It's hey, can you talk to an AI?
Speaker 3: And is it deterministic versus probabilistic? Yeah, exactly, We've talked about that before. Deterministic is like a calculator you type in you know five plus seven is eleven?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: No, no, it's twelve. But anyways you're supposed to say, right, anyways, I know five plus seven is twelve every time you put in a calculator. But there are some race conditions that are part of exploits where you might try it seven times and it doesn't work six right. It doesn't mean it's not workable. It's means that the stars weren't aligned for you to get in and you have to try it again. That makes it not really automatable or not as automatable.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it could be automatable. It's just that it may have more errors, you know, but it's.
Speaker 3: But it can it may, but then you get yeah.
Speaker 1: Looped so much that it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I think I think that's noisy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing that's interesting, especially with AI, on the back end of a lot of these things that are maybe non deterministic. Right, maybe you have to run in a thousand times is it used to be? You know, if it succeeded, great, If it failed, just keep trying. And now you can say, well, if it let's say it's it kind of succeeded, or we're seeing this new error message, or we're seeing this kind of rape throttling or whatever. Right, Instead of being a developer where you'd write a branch for each of those things that you know, if we're being ray throttled, then use fireprocs. If we see this error, then do right where we would do that, we would write really really robust attack toolkits. And now with AI, it's like, hey, if you get stopped, write something that goes around it, right, and it will then start routing through different places.
Speaker 1: And that's first off, right, yep, okay, next story, next door open claw agent independently hacks gym website to move its owner up the queue. I think I saw this before the Elebor or maybe it was.
Speaker 3: The elect for a little bit. Yeah, this is this came out when when when all the frontier labs started saying, oh our our our AI is so dangerous powerful, it's so dangerous. It's so powerful that it's hacking things. And somebody basically let their open claw go and in order to get them a slot in a class, it deleted someone.
Speaker 2: I want to call BS on this. Really, Okay, all right, here's the deal. Take it from somebody who has who knows how hard it is to prompt a frontier model to get it to break into a site. Just take that for what it's worth. This guy didn't just say, Hey, I want to go to the gym and or four on the queue. Can you get me closer to one, and it just magically decided to go out and hack the website.
Speaker 1: He probably would have said it like this, Hi, Mike, I want to go to the gym and there's no room in the class, so can you move me up? I reckon you?
Speaker 2: Kind of Maybe that's what it is. That's the jail prompt.
Speaker 3: It kind of went Boston for a minute there.
Speaker 2: Well, right, so it just seems it just seems like, you know, all I did was I asked to be closer to number one in the queue, and then it just magically deleted a single person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, that doesn't seem right.
Speaker 2: Just seems weird. And then obviously this guy reported it and whatever. But still it just seemed it seemed there's there's something missing here because we've been playing around with a ton of open claws, slash Hermes, slash, you name it agents and by default they do not just go out and reach out to webs sites and starting.
Speaker 3: Well it does it? What do you think? How much does it matter? I'm kind of setting you up for the spike. How much does it matter which model they were using?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, that's a good point. It matters actually quite a bit. Yeah. True, just try and get Opus five to do anything hack hacky.
Speaker 3: No, but if you're using Quinn.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. Yeah, if you're using something like Quinn or but.
Speaker 1: These in Australia, these big models, it is.
Speaker 3: Much more likely to use a Chinese model.
Speaker 1: These big models, though, are really good at finding zero days and exploiting them. Oh absolutely, So that's what happened. The AI agent found a software bright in the gym website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's the part that's not written here is if they were using Fable, it wouldn't do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wouldn't have gone out and done it.
Speaker 3: It would have said, oh no. And if they're using Kimmy or Quinn or deep Seek, it probably would have. The guardrails are just night and day.
Speaker 1: So do you think that so?
Speaker 3: I think that might be part of it.
Speaker 1: Do you think that this person asked the AI to go examine the AI and the API and see if there was a way.
Speaker 3: Through it without making an accusation. We suspect that maybe the user was a little less innocent than they said.
Speaker 2: Maybe prompt Yeah, maybe prompted it a little bit more than just make you know, get me a closer list to because that's.
Speaker 3: What don't come back until you get me in the class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's definitely more prompting here. I mean, for anybody who's listening to the podcast, who's ever tried to get an AI agent to do anything and just book lunch for you somewhere you've realized you've had to prompt it a hundred times to do something.
Speaker 1: But if it seems innocuous, like, for example, this agent found that there was no authorization checks on the API for canceling other people's reservations. It discovered that you could go basically and say, hey, I'm developing this API and I want you to, you know, tell me if there are any vulnerabilities that I need to shore up, and how would I do that? Right?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: But the where where that's where that's circuit trips is then enumerating the other three users on the list, finding their unique IDs, and then submitting those IDs to the back end API to camp So you got me there, right, And now that's where those models would be like yeah, I can't do this.
Speaker 3: And you're already saying that the user was doing more than just saying oh can you get me in this class?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: That's what Twain's talking about, is goading it more than was admitted.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and I think what Carl saying is, well, okay, could could open claw using a you know, frontier model? Just could it? Could it have been autonomous enough to be like, well, oh I don't have to use the JavaScript y stuff on the front to make a cancelation for somebody, which is the easiest way for me to move you up. I just will call the API directly right, but that they're in, they're in. Like I said with with with a lot of those really high end models, it will not execute those that coat right, even even if open claws in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I guess I think I'm on your sideway. But I think there's also a possibility that we're getting again, not even the AI. If I give the AI, if we all three of them give the same AI the same prompt, we will get three different results.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: And so if fifty thousand people ask it to see if it can book, one of them might do something out of the ordinary like this. It's possible just to play Devil's advocate. Because that's the thing a lot of people don't realize. It is not like I'm doing a Google search and it's the same right five times in a row. Because it's the same query and it's deterministic. I'm trying to put this language in people's vocabulary so they understand. In hacking, we've talked about deterministic versus probabilistic. In quantum we're going to be talking about that, but it's also here in AI. AI. You ask it the same thing on two different systems exactly under the same circumstances, you'll get different answers. Okay, you'll get different results.
Speaker 1: All right, good enough, All right, let's move on the hacker. News says hackers compromised fourteen thousand, five hundred plus d.
Speaker 2: Daho way Way.
Speaker 1: Is that how you say it? Doway?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Hua?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 1: Okay, fourteen and a half thousand plus Dowway devices using credential attacks off bypasses and p' top.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is good old stuff. This isn't I didn't use an LM. This is hey, I'm attacking credentials yep?
Speaker 2: Or is it no? It absolutely is the thing that I was digging in on this. I mean, listen, cameras have had issues for a long time, and a lot of people who put cameras up don't change passwords, right, so using default user names and passwords that happens, you know, doing all sorts of bypassing things that happens. The thing that was interesting to me is because there's a you know, authentication bypassed law. That's fine, Okay, so you didn't patch whatever it says it did it through a P two P relay technique peer to peer, right, right, So you'd say, okay, well, peer to peer means it's non routable. It's it's I turn on my computer here and I want to play a game with Patrick. He has to have his computer on this same network because it's not going to route out it to the internet. Right. It's not like, you know, we're both playing a game that uses peer to peer and he's at home and he fires it up and he sees every computer on the Internet that's playing that game right now, right, That's just not what happens with peer to peer. So so the thing that confused me about this article, and actually dug a little bit deeper to figure out why this is is how did they compromise via a P to P And if if we go down that route, I'll explain how this happens. In this case, the P to P, the peer to peer for them, is actually a cloud service. So let's say, for example, I have an app on my phone and I want to see the cameras, and obviously that's nice to do when you're local, right, But what if you're remote. Well, if I'm remote and I open up that phone app, I still want to see the cameras. Right, I'm you know, out with friends. I want to see what's going on, you know, at the store. Yeah, whatever it is. The way that works is when you fire the camera up, it connects out of your firewall to a cloud service managed in this case it's called easy Easy four IP or the easy four IP cloud managed by a Dahay. And that way, your camera has now created a connection out of your network. There's no open port right on your network. Your phone connects into the easy four IP cloud and requests your camera yep, and then you get access.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like how file sharing works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no authentication to that. So what happens is the camera system doc way has decided, oh, well the cameras are. They have a web login page. There's no need for us to authenticate the user to the right camera because the camera you're gonna have to give a username and password to The camera.
Speaker 1: Service just tells them where the IP address is in the port.
Speaker 2: And routes the traffic.
Speaker 1: So here go go connect. Oh, it routes it. It doesn't just say go connect it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's no, it's like it routes it. It's a tunnel for you.
Speaker 1: So it's not peer to peer.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. It's it says it's a peer to peer, but it's literally creating a tunnel up into the cloud that you get me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's no good.
Speaker 2: So what's really crazy is you can then say, oh, no, no, no, my camera is not serial number one, two three four five, it's serial number one two three four six ye, and it goes okay, cool, and it routes you to that camera and presents you with the web login. That's issue number one. There is no authentication on how you can cycle through the cameras. Issue number two is how they were doing the authentication. There's anuthentication bypass. So now imagine we're running this store, right that, the three of us run our Shark Laser Cages store, and I'm the night security guy, and I'm sitting at a terminal with a whole bunch of screens, and I have one of those little keyboards with the you know, the dials and the joystick so I can move the cameras around so I can watch people buying cages.
Speaker 1: And all of a sudden your monitor starts showing the fresh Prince of bel Air.
Speaker 2: Right right, of course, I mean, and doctor Evil's calling. So I'm sitting there, I'm using the little joystick thing. Well, that keyboard that has the joystick for moving the cameras around, and that'swar stuff. Is an accessory also sold by TAWA. It's called a web keyboard or mini keyboard or whatever. Their own authentication is called the net keyboard. So their own authentication says, oh, by the way, if you tell us that you're using the net keyboard, which is literally just submitted into the authentication as ameter.
Speaker 3: Then it's all good.
Speaker 2: We don't require a password.
Speaker 3: It's all good, jeez.
Speaker 2: Because we've realized you just have a little joist it. You can't type in the password.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's all the attackers did, is they logged into this easy four IP started cycling through all of the really not that random serial numbers and saying, I use a net keyboard. I use a net keyboard, and it would give full access and then they can install.
Speaker 1: And do a sort of It's interesting. The article says. Researchers said confirmed compromises were concentrated in Ukraine and Russia.
Speaker 2: Wait which side of the attack were they?
Speaker 1: Probably both?
Speaker 3: So I assume your weapon of choice in this kind of exploit would be burpsuite.
Speaker 2: So burpsweet is nice. I'd probably sprinkle in a little fireprox is. I don't want to be picked up on what I'm doing and I want to do it fast. Just throwing that out there, that's probably the way to go. But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Got to rename this show.
Speaker 3: You mean liability are criminal?
Speaker 1: Criminal career advice? Oh?
Speaker 3: Then really it would be on most wanted this and more than Malaysia.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised we aren't now.
Speaker 2: And to all of our Russian and Ukrainian listeners, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thanks for the story, Thank you, thank you. Okay, one morning, we take a break, stop and protect uses nearly two thousand hacked wait for it, word press sites to spread malware and steal data. I've never heard of such a thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is outrageous, the super secure word press. So breaking this one down. It's interesting, right, Well, WordPress is so ubiquitously you're able to break into it now. People are using hacked WordPress sites as commandic control. Right Yeah, so it's like, oh, I now have a framework thinking and literally there's a framework here that can go out and have all those hacked word press sites report into a commandic control structure. And then the attack here was actually a click fist fixed. So this was a social engineering attack. I get you to load a thing that will then go and do magical things. It will go, you know, it installs uh, you know, password stealers and all sorts of stuff. Right, so you're running a PowerShell script. At the end of the day, I con you into running a PowerShell script. But the need part is that PowerShell script that's now running there stealing stuff off my computer, is communicating with a back end of hacked WordPress sites. Yeah, and then I'm getting the information. The great thing about this method is it's not like I can say, oh, this is a known hacker's website, right, It could be any website, could be a site, could be yeah whatever, right exactly. So this this helps bypass a lot of the firewall rules and you know, endpoint detection rules and that sort of stuff. So I, uh, oh, word.
Speaker 1: I didn't see the word patch or or SISA or score anywhere in this article, and that makes me even more concerned that we should change the name of this podcast to criminal career advice.
Speaker 2: We absolutely should. It's like, well, it's funny because this article. I think they didn't add patch because the only way to break into these word press sites was an unpatched plug in. And they're like, you know, we're not even gonna tell you do it anymore. Yeah, whatever.
Speaker 3: Well, and the click and the clickfix thing is a social engineering attack. It's you convince someone to do something right, the only one should never have thought of doing.
Speaker 2: The only way to patch that is with the lead pipe.
Speaker 3: In the conservatory will be patched when the robots take over.
Speaker 1: Maybe, yeah, what do you mean when? Yeah? Well, all right, on that note, we'll take a little break. We'll be right back after these very important messages, and we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Patrick, that's Twain. A few more stories here. New Manic and Trey malware can exfiltrate data through nearby devices. I don't like that. Listen. Is it as bad as it sounds?
Speaker 2: I don't why, and not really. I mean, yes, it's bad, but it's not that bad. I don't want to start the whole Holy war on the discord again. Android and iPhone.
Speaker 3: But why don't you just start with your god sucks.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 2: To distill this down to a two second SoundBite, this is you sideloading apps you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Well, however, it's you kind of get what you deserve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unique though, right, So they say, listen, we don't know how this is happening yet. There's no attribution yet to the type of app, the thing that everybody's doing. What's actually really kind of cool? I say, cool? Is this malway cool? I know this malwhere registers as an accessibility feature, so it puts an invisible overlay on top of apps. So when you type in your banking password, you're texting, you're doing whatever, it picks all that up and sends it to back end server. Exactly. Great analogy, Patrick, And it sounds like.
Speaker 1: It targets people who don't have good vision.
Speaker 2: It could, or it just people don't pay attention to the Hey, you downloaded this from a third party, or you okay with all of the requirements and they say yes, which turns on accessibility and does all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, would they download it for accessibility purposes? I guess that's my question.
Speaker 2: Oh, good question.
Speaker 3: I mean they might trick them into thinking anything anything they want that this will save you memory, it'll lower your your your charges, it'll increase your creatine levels.
Speaker 2: It's a new cool looking keyboard. Yeah yeah, whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it'll make it waterproof exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's a it's a skimmer. That is a great analogy, Patrick, because it does it watches you type on your s s. It watches you type your multi factor codes, and then it passes it along to the app.
Speaker 3: I'm good for one good one per show.
Speaker 2: I know, Jesus. That's it, Patrick, You're done. Take a vacation, Une, take a lot. Yeah, well done, well done. So I could say Apple wouldn't allow you to do this without jumping through all sorts of hoops, Like you can put your Apple phone into a developer mode and you can actually download.
Speaker 1: But when you do that, you auto even if you auto provision, right, they know who you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, I don't I have a band. I have a mobile app that I'm testing with the band. I'm not going to have them all come over and plug in their devices and sideload it onto their phones. Right, We're going to go through an app store? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, and that that gets much harder if you're going through an app store. So the the running theory is the is obviously pulled off of some you know, third party site or some third party app store after the phone's been rooted. But yeah, just be careful what you download and don't use Android.
Speaker 1: All right. So the next one is really really cool. I saw this cloud Flare workers specter attack exposed jot jwt at twelve bits per.
Speaker 3: Second, lightning fast.
Speaker 1: Now. I remember having a three hundred bod modem and I thought that was slow.
Speaker 3: This is actually a measure of fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, because it's only a jot token.
Speaker 3: It's just any And the old speed was like, what was it to two bit two bites per per minute?
Speaker 2: Twelve twelve bits per second before.
Speaker 3: Well that's twelve or second, but before it was like two per minute.
Speaker 2: Or No, the earlier attack was yeah, one hundred and twenty bits per hour. Okay, so a lot slower.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's unpack this one. Yeah, first of all, what's a jot? I love this.
Speaker 2: I love this these types of attacks. How do you tell us, Carl, what's a jaw?
Speaker 1: All right? A jot is a piece of gobbledygook. String that you used to as a token. When you're authenticated by a website, you get a JOT token or you send a jot token and then that identifies you kind of like a cookie for the for the session as long as you're logged in.
Speaker 3: It's a Java artifact. Yeah, Java web token.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a Java script web token.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, and it can have some neat things in there, right, like roll and all sorts of little information about maybe what you should and shouldn't have access to whatever it is. But right, you know what. I We've been doing this for a long time. This is over five years we've been doing this podcast. And I used to call these jawts all the time. I was like, this is a jawt. JB Like we hack them all the time. We're like, oh, did you get the jawt token whatever? Right, And when we were on with Carl at one point for an article maybe four years ago, he's like, yeah, JOT And I'm like, are you messing with me? They call it jot really and he's like, yeah, dude, it's wrong with you. Sounds like, oh I learned it.
Speaker 1: I learned that from brock Allen.
Speaker 3: Oh really Yeah, well Brock would know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the first guy I ever heard say, jot that's awesome.
Speaker 3: So yeah, let me jot that down.
Speaker 1: Let me jot it.
Speaker 2: So this is a side channel attack, and like a really cool side channel attack. So for those as old as us, I suppose you probably remember this specter. You may not remember a spector attack.
Speaker 1: If your back hurts the gunship, you probably yeah, not that one.
Speaker 2: Not that spector attack puffed the magic Dragon. So spector attacks are an attack. And I won't go into too much technical detail, but a spector attack is an attack on a CPU, and it's specifically an attack on how the architecture of CPU's work. And it's an attack on every CPU since nine made since ninety nine, right, so the architecture has not changed. What happens is CPUs, to sort of distill it down, CPUs are fast, right in making decisions, in branching and doing it they should. Access to memory is slow. So if you tell a CPU, go access memory, and if the answer is yes, go down path A. And if the answer is no, go down path P, what happens.
Speaker 1: My back hurts. That's about all I know anybody.
Speaker 3: So what happens is delay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What happens is the CPU doesn't stand there for one hundred cycles and go I'll wait. Yeah, the CPU says. The last ninety nine times I always asked this question, I was told to go down path A afterwards, so it speculates the path to go down hence specter attacks. CPU speculates, Oh yeah, the CPU speculates.
Speaker 1: I didn't know cp use could speculate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it creates goods down there were.
Speaker 3: Well they're trying, they're trying to optimize.
Speaker 2: No, it goes down this speculative path. Yeah, it's all optimization. And here's what it says. If I go down the speculative path and I was right, we're fast. If I was wrong, I roll back to that branch point, clean up memory, and I just continue. So I'm not any slower than if I just sat there waiting. So I might as well speculate.
Speaker 1: Except what happened during that path.
Speaker 2: That's the that's theerein lies the rub. So let's say I tell it go down path A, go down path A, go down path A a billion times, and then this next time I say, oh, by the way, instead of accessing my jot token, which would force you down PATHA, go access another JOT token from another area of memory, and it goes, oh, well, the last thousand times I accessed a JOT token, I went down PATHA. I'll go down PATHA and it violates the security barrier, grabs the JOT token and loads it into.
Speaker 1: Memory, and it could be the wrong token.
Speaker 2: It's most absolutely going to be the wrong token at this point. It's somebody else's token.
Speaker 1: Or it's not even a token, maybe it's maybe it's just gobbledygook.
Speaker 2: Maybe in this particular case, because it's cloud Flare, I'm running on the same headless box as probably twelve other companies are running. So it'll violate the isolation layer, grab the JOT token from one of the other neighbors, and load it into memory. Now, then it'll come back and say, oh, by the way, you don't have access to that JOT token, but it's in memory, you know. I'll get my Yeah, I'll get my access denied. Came back from slow storage, And what happens is the CPU tries to roll it back, and when it rolls it back, it rolls back all the registers in the CPU, but it doesn't roll back the quick cash in the CPU. So now I can query the cash and whatever comes back fast I know was loaded in the cash.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I'll go and loop through all the cash, find what comes back fast, and say, oh, this is the JOT tooken. So this technique, in this particular case is ninety nine point one six percent accurate in pulling back a neighboring JOT token from somebody else running on your cloud Flare instance.
Speaker 1: Is that why slowing it down is an answer?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I I that problem. So here's what cloud Flair did. They said, we've known about specter since nineteen ninety five, well, actually a little later than nineteen ninety five, and cloud Flair said, we've added two different protections against this happening. Right, the only way for you to actually viably do this attack is to measure the time it takes for a request in a memory to come back. So if I request in a memory and it's and it's not in the cash, it should be slow. And if I request in a memory and it is in the cash, it should be fast. Right, that's the whole point of the attack, right, Load something in a cash that shouldn't have been there, and then see if you can pull it back so you need you need to have timing. You you have local timing in your code. Hey what's the time? Date dot now? Run some code to grab some cash, and then run date dot now again and see was that fast or was that slow? And what cloud Flair did is they said, uh huh, we're not allowing date dot now and we're not allowing all the thready wonky stuff you can do, which is like date dot now, We're not going to do it. What the researchers and here did is they said, okay, not a problem. We're just going to call out to an external service to get time. And it doesn't matter because it will always be slow. It'll always be when I call cashed memory, it'll be slow, but when I call not cash memory it'll be even slower. So it doesn't matter whether the timing measurement is local on the box will do it remotely. It's super NOI super noisy, and cloud Flair missed it. They were like, huh, yeah, we never thought anybody would call off box to do that. So that's the primary sort of quote unquote fix if you will, that cloud Flare put in place. They also have this really frigging at cloud Flair does an awesome job. They also have this really frigging cool the second mitigation. If they notice you query in cash and you constantly get no, that doesn't exist. No that doesn't exist, No that doesn't exist. Yes it does know that doesn't exist. They actually realize you're trying to violate specter attack. They grab your process and they throw it in jail and they put it on its own machine in a way that it can't access anything else.
Speaker 1: They gave you a timeout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So they have these two mechanisms to try and protect and what happened here is researchers discovered a way around the first mechanisms that it didn't actually look like it was an issue. It was tested, it does work, and you know, cloud flare making some small changes to their to their timing protections. But this is yeah, this is awesome. This is a really cool attack.
Speaker 1: Wow. Anything we can do about it, n just.
Speaker 2: Know it exists. Hopefully the listeners are a little bit more learned on spector attacks and now that all works.
Speaker 1: But all right, finally our top story, NASA a t gooey flaws could let unauthenticated attackers issue spacecraft commands and AI T stands for almost instrument Toolkit, which is NASA JPL's open source toolkit. Yeah, and gooey is graphical user interface. Obviously.
Speaker 3: You remember how when you want to say something is really smart, you say it's a rocket scientist. Yeah, you can't say that anymore.
Speaker 1: It's not rocket science. Actually it is.
Speaker 3: It's not that bad. It's not that bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly. I mean you have these images of somebody, some attacker, you know, connecting into a spacecraft with no password and you know, landing in the middle of New York.
Speaker 3: Or actually I think the worst scenario was driving a satellite down into a you know, thirty six thousand miles an hour into some naval ship.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I guess I go more evil than you even sometimes I know.
Speaker 2: Or can you imagine? I wonder what the feasibility of using it as an assassination weapon would be? Jeez, very I mean, could you could you?
Speaker 3: I think the problem would be that the.
Speaker 2: Orbital mechanics could we determine?
Speaker 3: I've thought about this. I think I think you could.
Speaker 2: I think that I've thought about this.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is that it would will likely burn up unless you had something big like Skylab, So you'd have to adjust.
Speaker 1: Dwayne, do you teach evil lessons? Can I take evil lessons from you?
Speaker 3: You'd have to adjust the trade and the speed so that it didn't burn up completely before it reached its target.
Speaker 2: Have you guys ever seen Mark Rober name name rings?
Speaker 1: A belle comedian?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, A brilliant engineer. Wasn't he from Mit?
Speaker 3: Wasn't he Jack Ritters and Chrisy's land lord?
Speaker 2: You're speaking? And that dated everybody on this podcast?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, Mark Robert. He's a brilliant engineer graduated I think my Tea if I remember correctly, but probably one of the most well known mechanical engineers of our time. But anyways, he actually did a science that's what he does. He has his YouTube channel millions of people following that sort of stuff. But one of the science experiments he did was could you drop a tungsten rod from space and hit a target? And he actually did.
Speaker 3: Tungsten rods from God.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He he actually tried to work out the you know, targeting and ballistics and all that other good stuff, and it's surprisingly hard to drop on a target. Yeah, you know that small but.
Speaker 3: Because of the the wins mostly I think.
Speaker 2: When a fact did a lot into orbit, yeah, yep, yeah yeah, and if you were dropping out of orbit, like just the angle that it's hitting and you know what pieces of the object flake off will change, right, So there just there's all sorts of mechanics around.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, Like one of the things that a needle at the speed of light would pretty much wipe up the planet. Sure, so you know if you get good enough speed coming. But but then the thing has to survive as well. So actually to some extent, as long as you get it in the zip code, it's probably going to do enough damage.
Speaker 2: Now Patrick's talking about taking an entire city block. Needless to say, before we go any further.
Speaker 1: What is this XKCD, Before we go.
Speaker 2: Any further, this sounds really scary, right. There's a you know, an application that they use for commandy control with spacecraft that oh my gosh. And if you look at the web site, it's literally like sitting at the cockpit, right. There's all sorts of things you can do in there. You know, everything from no password to get into the site to you know CSRF issues where I can make requests locally to them binding the to zero zero zero, which means it's open to everything and it ignores its own local configure. There's all sorts of issues in this. So this sounds like just a disaster waiting to happen. But here's what we will tell you. We've rated this is not that important. It's it's an interesting article, it's fun to talk about, but there are so many other safeguards between ground control of any you know, space object and and you know satellites, and you know Starlink satellites and and you know spacecraft and skylab and whatever. Right, all of those there's a lot more than just reading or radio waves and sending them up. You know, I've tried.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so why why has it got a nine point four score? And why hasn't it been issued a CV?
Speaker 2: So this is an interesting question. Yeah, So the nine point four score is is this is an open source project and the concern is people will take it at face value and use it without putting any of those safeguards that NASA and SpaceX and that sort of stuff would have put in. Using this is an a normal piece of code. Would this rate a nine point four?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean there's no authentication in certain cases, it's not protecting. There's no cross site request forgery protection and tokens and that sort of stuff. So yeah, absolutely the things a soup sandwich when it comes to, you know, trying to use it in a secure fashion. That's where that number comes from. Not really, because you know we're at risk, all right, So no signtle ice dropping on your head. A little bit more clickbaity than usual click baity Clickie makes movies.
Speaker 3: None of these references are less than fifty years old.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: Well, anybody who's back hurts, they can laugh along with us.
Speaker 2: You get us, you get us, You're.
Speaker 1: Back, doesn't hurt. You're too young, all right. Well, I guess that's a show. And that's all the things that we could come up with that happened last week. We'll see you next week on Security this week, Bye bye, bye bye