Speaker 1: K I had kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 3: Yep, here I am at five o'clock straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, May twenty eighth. I'm Amy King. At an early start to the day today. Oh really, yeah, thanks to my stupid ring camera. You know, it does the little chimes when something goes past your door, and so it woke me up at two o'clock.
Speaker 2: Went past your door.
Speaker 4: Don't know.
Speaker 3: Was there a helicopter overhead? Nope, but I turned on the I turned on the you know, grabbed my phone and looked at it because I'm like, if somebody's at my front door at two o'clock in the morning, that's concerning. There was nothing there. The wind was blowing a little bit. But then last night loud bang near Dodger Stadium, Echo Park, Chinatown. What the heck was that? I get these It's NonStop. I want to turn them off, but it's it's kind of entertaining. It's kind of entertaining and addicted. Yeah, speaking of entertaining, I watched Handmaid's Tale season and serious finale. I'm not going to tell you anything, but I will tell you that to watch the finale, you kind of have to go back to the beginning. So I did because remember yesterday, Will and I were talking yesterday that I liked the previous seasons better. So I went after watching the series finale, I went back and watched the first episode, and then I watched the second episode, and then I watched the third episode. I like the first season a lot better. It's a lot more creepy, it's a lot more interesting. Spelling Bee National Spelling Bee four kids in southern California is still in the hunt who We've got some of those words too. I'm going to share them with you. In a couple of minutes. I'd be out in the first round. You know that a lot of people are watching. Sonny and Gizmo are a little eagles and Big Bear. They're up already. This morning yesterday I was watching. Fifty thousand people were watching. Again, I think it tapered off for a while. People kind of went, oh, well, they're just eagles, they're growing up. But now that they're getting close to leaving the nest, people are gonna getting excited. So you can watch the Big Bear be beagle cam. The eagle cam all hours of the day, and like I said, the kids are already awake this morning. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Thieves who cut through a roof and then through a wall have made off with more than two million dollars in cash and merchandise from a family owned jewelry store in Seem Valley. The owners say the burglars cut through the roof of a candy store next door to their business, then cut through a wall to get into their business. The burglars also cut through an eight inch safe and emptied it. La City councilors expected to finalize a revised nearly fourteen billion dollar budget after a vote scheduled for yesterday was delayed because of some paperwork issues. A new, highly contagious COVID strain has shown up in several states, including California. The strain was found as early as mid April, with infections in Washington, Virginia, and New York. The discovery comes after federal officials stated they would no longer support booster shots for healthy children or pregnant women. Coming up on Wake Up Called, President Trump's Big Beautiful Bill could be in trouble in the Republican controlled Senate. ABC Stephen Portnery's going to join us in just a couple of minutes to tell us who's pumping the brakes on it. We're talking with KTLA tech reporter Rich Demiro at five twenty what you can now get and what you still can't get on your iPad and websites that can save you money. That's always a cool thing. Amy's on it. It's a newer movie that makes you really appreciate the freedoms we have here in the US. I think you're going to like this one. And that's at the bottom of the hour. And then with summer travel season upon US Ihearts aviation specialist Jay Ratliffe is going to join us to tell us what to expect when we head to the airport, and surprisingly lax is a pretty good option. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The La County Assessor's Office is urging wildfire survivors to update their mailing addresses. Some property tex refund checks that are being mailed out have been returned as undeliverable because the homes that once stood at the original addresses have been destroyed, Residents need to update their information with their current location to get those checks. Nearly five months after they eat and fire, many in Altadena and Pasadena are still without long term housing.
Speaker 1: Judy Chu, who represents parts of Los Angeles County including Pasadena and Altadena, is calling on FEMA to launch a direct leasing program. She says fire survivors are struggling to find housing in LA's tight and expensive rental markets. Community leaders agree, saying many available units are out of reach due to high income and credit score requirements. Now urging the federal government to step in. Brigida Dugastino KFI News.
Speaker 3: News brought to you by American Vision Windows. New laws now in play allowing the FEDS to arrest illegal immigrants in jails in southern California. US Attorney Bill Assie tells kfi's John Cobalt, the city made the situation worse by not adhering to the original ice detainer.
Speaker 5: Now what they're forcing me to do is criminally prosecute the alien before they're deported. So not only are they going to get deported, but they're probably going to serve a couple of years.
Speaker 2: In federal prison. Before their deportation.
Speaker 3: LA City Council voted last year to officially become a sanctuary city so that city resources could not be used to help enforce federal immigration laws. And a sick dog has caused a flight from Detroit to Los Angeles to make an unscheduled stop in Minneapolis. A dog in the cabin became ill during the flight on Monday night. The captain decided to land the plane so the dog and its owner could get off and get medical care. The stop caused a two and a half hour delay. A passenger told KTLA that the captain told them the dog is going to be okay your morning commute. Not okay. We got a nasty crash, really bad.
Speaker 6: It's a jack Knife's big rig that has shut down all westbound lanes of the ninety one Freeway. The ninety one Freeway completely closed westbound. Excuse that team in the background at Lake at Lakeview, all lanes completely shut down as they work to clear this huge mess. Traffic is backed up, as you can imagine all the way to the seventy one. Take if you can, Imperial Highway. That's one good way to get around this to the north or to the south. You can take the two forty one as an alternate. We'll keep you updated. But again, the ninety one westbound closed at Lakeview with Southern California's most accurate traffic reports.
Speaker 3: I'm Will Cole Schreiver. Yeah, that sounds like a nasty one. Will's going to help you get around that and other problems on the roads all morning long. It's five oh seven on your Wednesday morning wake up call. It's say good morning to ABC, Stephen Portnoy. Stephen. The House has passed the President's so called Big Beautiful Bill, but now it heads to the Senate, and with very narrow margins, it could be in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, we'll see.
Speaker 7: It doesn't help that over we learned that Elon Musk says he's disappointed by the Big Beautiful Bill and it doesn't cut enough. That the whole idea of a doge was to shepherd in cuts, and this bill doesn't cut it. If you will, So, you have Republican senators such as what Ron Johnson of Wisconsin Ran Paul of Kentucky who are already saying that they're going to make they're going to insist on tweaks to this bill, and you have House Speaker Mike Johnson this week in an interview with punch Bowl News describing it as trying to cross the Grand Canyon on a string of dental flaws. That's how difficult it was to get conservatives and moderates behind this big, beautiful bill that would make some cuts to some programs, also significantly ramp up spending, extend and expand the Trump era tax cuts. And so that's why you know there are concerns because this would, according to Republican opponents, expand the deficit and the debt by four trillion dollars over the decade, and they don't want to see that. In fact, they want to see further spending cuts. The question becomes, all right, where do you cut Because Josh Hawley, if Missouri, is one Republican who says you better not touch medicaid anymore than this proposal seeks to do.
Speaker 3: And we know that President Trump has said several times don't touch medicaid. So he's not he's not behind any of the cuts to Medicaid.
Speaker 7: Well, right, so it raises the question, Look, you have a couple of options. You could raise taxes. The President has indicated he would not oppose a new tax rate for millionaires at a certain threshold. But will Republicans get on board behind that, We'll see so far in the House they didn't. And you know, the other way would be to further cut spending. This bill proposes to increase it, particularly on the defense and border priorities of this president.
Speaker 3: Okay, So and Stephen, are they discussing it now? Is it on the floor for discussion or where does the bill stand for in the Senate?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, as you know, last week, by a single vote, the House passed the bill and sent it into the Senate. So right now it'll go to the committees of jurisdiction in the Senate and they'll take a look and try to propose their own tweaks. The Speaker's warning against that because anything that the Senate does to change the bill has to go back over to the House for ratification before it goes to the President. And there's a concern that any tweaks the Senate might make might make it difficult to.
Speaker 2: Pass in the House.
Speaker 7: So the deadline that has been set by leaders is July fourth. To have this big, beautiful bill on the President's desk. It's not just the symbolism of having it happen on that holiday, it's the idea that the embedded in the bill is an increase in the debt ceiling, and if that's not addressed by July, the Treasury Secretary has warned the US would be in default of its obligations.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we'll be watching at ABC. Stephen Portinoy, thanks so much for the information. As always, we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bet.
Speaker 3: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech Saturdays from eleven to two right here on KFI. It's KTLA Tech reporter Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 2: Morning, Rich, Hey, good morning, is you amy?
Speaker 3: Okay, So we got the iPad and we've got something that they finally have on the iPad and something that they still don't have on the iPad.
Speaker 8: Well, it's only taken about fifteen years to get this application, but it is finally there. And that app is WhatsApp. That is the app. That's basically the entire story. People love WhatsApp all over the world. They use it to communicate. It is fully encrypted end to end, which people really like. It is owned by Meta, but it's on the iPad now, so you can have it on multiple devices, your phone, your Mac, your iPad. Messages do stay in sync and the end to end encryption stays intact across all devices.
Speaker 3: Okay, so go get it. I have a question, and that is that WhatsApp has been available on the iPhone but not on the iPad. Is there a reason for that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 8: I think part of it was the encryption situation, because when WhatsApp was first available, the reason I didn't use it is because you can only use it on one device, so the time, it had to be linked to a phone number on a phone, and then they sort of expanded that over the years. I don't know what the reason for the iPad lag was, but it's there now. The only other app that Meta needs to make for the iPad is Instagram, which people are baffled why there's not an official Instagram app.
Speaker 2: You know, you can put the phone app on.
Speaker 8: There, but there's no official sort of like big screen Instagram app for some reason.
Speaker 2: So maybe that will be next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't even know that because I have an iPad, I rarely use it because I just use my phone so often. But that's just crazy that the IG isn't on the iPad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you would think there would be, but you know, I think at some point Instagram had like a reason for it, like oh, we want to keep it, you know, more intimate with your phone versus like your iPad. But you know, it's like, come on, give us options.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I think that we've talked about this before about how you can turn your when take notes and stuff, you can turn it into a podcast, and now that's available in more places.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we talked about this a couple weeks ago. Notebook LM is the tool. So this sort of was an experiment at Google, just like a small thing. It went viral because of this audio overview feature, which basically allows you to toss any information you want into this notebook LM app and it will convert it into a podcast basically with two hosts kind of talking about the information. But you can put anything in there, so you can you can, you know, put PDFs in there, you can put a website, YouTube, video, anything you want to learn more about. And what's neat about this is that it's only using that information, so it's kind of like a little bit cleaner than it would be if you just use like straight up AI because it's trying to pull just from your info. But the other thing is amy you can also ask questions. You know, you can sit there and like type in questions about things that you want to ask about the information you.
Speaker 2: Put in there.
Speaker 8: So anyway, it's a really cool learning feature available through Google. And now they finally came out with an app on iPhone and Android. This only took them like two years, so that's not too yet. But the cool thing is you can listen to those audio overviews anywhere basically.
Speaker 3: Okay, So my question is if it's taking your information, it's not going out searching the web. It's taking your information and making the podcast. Is this for like your own edification or to share with like, is it to help you study or is it exactly to share?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's I mean, you could share it.
Speaker 8: You could download the podcasts and share it out, but it's not meant to like make podcasts for you that you can like share with friends and family. That's not really the idea. The idea is that you're going to a foreign country. You want to learn everything you could possibly learn about it, and so you drop that information into notebook LM.
Speaker 2: It generates a podcast.
Speaker 8: I'm doing a panel discussion today, so they gave me a whole briefing book. I dropped that into notebook. I listened to that in my car, and now I'm briefed on all the things that everyone wants to talk about, the panelists, the background, whatever. But it's only that information. So it's really just you know, you want to learn a new law, you know, throw it in there. That Take it Down Act that they passed a couple of weeks ago. You can throw that in there and you can learn about that. So it's just a different way to learn. A lot of college students use it, a lot of lifelong learners.
Speaker 2: It's just a.
Speaker 8: Really different and convenient way to learn. Thanks to AI.
Speaker 3: Okay, and let's talk phones. Because you have been playing with the brand new S twenty five Edge for the last couple of weeks and you said you we talked to you about it, or we talked to you when you first got it, and you said, I'm gonna play with it for a while. Well now you have.
Speaker 8: Yes, So it's been about three weeks. I've been using it on a daily basis. This is Samsung's thinnest phone yet it goes on sale on Friday. It's super thin, it's super light. I do love that aspect of it. I don't love the fact that there's no dedicated zoom lens. It has become not a issue, but it's definitely not ideal if you're coming from like a phone that has that.
Speaker 2: But if you don't really care the phone, the camera.
Speaker 8: Is excellent on this device, like, really really impressive. I've used it in all kinds of different situations and it's a great phone. The battery life was my other question. I would say that the battery life is fine. If you have a charger, you're going to be fine. I would say it's not going to have as good battery life towards the end of the day as some of the main other phones, but still overall, I really like this device.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Samsung Galaxy S twenty five Edge available in stores now right Friday, Available in stores Friday. And how much does it cost?
Speaker 8: It starts at eleven hundred dollars, but there are many many deals out there, so be on the look out. If you pay full price for that thing, you're doing something wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, speaking of not paying full price, just real quick money saving websites you have some tips so we can save some money, which I always I'm gonna have my ears perked up for this one.
Speaker 8: This is great if you visit my website one time this year, go today rich on tech dot tv. I've got five different sites on there. Number one shop Back, this brand new cash back shopping assistant that just launched in the US. You get a dollar back on every Amazon order, plus cash back on other sites.
Speaker 2: Simply Codes.
Speaker 8: If you're looking for working codes, these promo codes actually work. It's the only promo code site I use. There's a website called The Big List of Streaming Deals. If you want free Peacock or a free trial on Paramount plus Apple TV plus Stars.
Speaker 2: It is all there.
Speaker 8: It's updated on daily basis. Plus I've got some more all at rich on tech dot tv. Amy It's a roundup of some really great sites today.
Speaker 3: Definitely going to check that out. The simply codes, especially because I've got those sites where they go here, try this code, try this code, and they all go nope, nope, nope, nope, never work, never works.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 8: This is the one I use, and it works. If there is a code out there, this site nine out of ten times.
Speaker 3: It Okay, thanks, that's so great to know. This is the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's our very own Rich Demiro. Also, you can see him weekdays on KTLA. You can hear him live every Saturday from eleven am to two pm on KFI. You can follow him on Instagram, Rich on Tech and of course, uh the website with those great ways to save money rich on Tech dot TV. Thanks so much, Rich. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 2: Have a great one, all right, you two.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about that one. I gotta go do a little perusing, save some money, especially the Amazons. Save a buck on every Amazon order. I could save thousands of dollars a year. That's the point, all right, Amy, on it as on it? What am I on? Well, I'm on the stream movies, TV shows, you name it. And as you might have noticed by now, I tend to jump down rabbit holes and when I start watching one thing, it takes me on to more things. And that's kind of what happened with this one. This week. I'm on the Diplomat. It's not the Carrie Russell TV series, The Diplomat. It's a movie. It's on Netflix and it's based on true events. I always love movies about true events. So here's the gist of it. An Indian woman shows up at the Indian embassy in Pakistan and she runs up to the window and says, I need asylum. She tries to get in. Of course, they're very skeptical of why she's trying to get in, and what unfolds is a pretty horrifying tale of betrayal and deceit and a diplomat who tries to figure out if the woman is telling the truth, is she tries to get out of the country, or if she's just playing them, and of course someone from Pakistan trying to keep her there, and you're figuring out what's going on there, how she got to be there, and the story unfolds. They don't want to tell you much about it, even though it's based on a true story, but it is a very very interesting story. It reminded me of Argo, remember Argo. Totally different circumstances, but still a story about a foreign citizen trapped in another country and a brutal regime that's trying to keep them there. It has you wondering one if she's telling the truth or she's just a terrorist trying to get it into the embassy. There are no known actors in this movie. It's not I'm trying to think, now, is there anybody? I don't think there was anybody, which I love because then you don't have the kind of preconceived notions of the actors. You just get to really enjoy the story. Another takeaway from this movie, and maybe it's because of a lot of movies, is that the soundtrack can really help advance the movie and have a really powerful impact on your viewing experience. This soundtrack is not great. It sounds like something out of a cheap seventies movie's. It was distracting to me at times, but it makes you appreciate really great music and movies, you know, like a John Williams or something like that. It's a good watch. It's riveting. It makes you think about the world we live in and how lucky we are to be where we are with our freedoms, and also what happens when there's deception and those freedoms get snatched away from you. I love a story that makes you think, and this one does because I kept going, oh my gosh, how did she get into the situation and what would I do if I found myself in that situation, So it kind of helps you suspend reality, even though it's based on a real story. Definitely on The Diplomat and I mentioned it reminded me of Argo, which I think was a spectacular movie had Ben Affleck, John Goodman, Brian Cranston, Alan Arkin, Tate, Donovan, Victor Garber. I've watched it several times, and even though I know how it ends, and it's based on a true story, so before I even saw it, I knew how it ended, it's just a nail bier for me every time. So Argo is soundtrack too. Argo's soundtrack is fabulous. So this week I'm on both The Diplomat and Argo, and I think you should be too. Okay, time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 4: Good morning. How are we today?
Speaker 3: Well, we're doing good, but apparently you're not doing great if you like to shop at home. Yes, there is a company called at home. Is that the shop the one that does the home parties or is it a different company.
Speaker 9: It's a different company. They have a lot of furniture they have. It's it's kind of like a competitor to Home Goods, but it's actually a little more focused on furniture.
Speaker 4: It's actually kind of neat.
Speaker 9: There's one actually not that far away from me, but there's also one in Long Beach too. But they're raising their concerns about tariffs, they say sources are telling us that they're preparing to file for bankruptcy in the coming weeks. So they've been facing a cash crunch in recent months, and tariffs are further complicating the situation. But at Home has been trying to shift away from sourcing a lot of its products in China and has been recently ramping up efforts to engage with suppliers from other countries, including India. I hope it sticks around. It's a great little store. I love it when you find great little homes stores.
Speaker 3: There's a couple that used to be here that aren't here anymore, and it just I'm like, so where am I going to go when I need this now? Because exactly like sometimes I just want to shop and I don't want to do it on Amazon.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I got a nice little table from them recently, so it was It's cute. It's It's again feels a lot like being in home goods finding a lot of different deals. They have a lot of nice lighting too. It's a little bit different because if you go into home goods it has just more small items like napkins and things like that. You're going to find more furniture and at home location.
Speaker 3: Okay called at home and they're in Long Beach okay. Staying with retail, not everybody's bailing on shopping at malls. Apparently no.
Speaker 9: And Macy's is one company that's doing quite well because they're shaking up their strategy and it seems to be paying off. So we all know department stores that has changed so much in recent years because people are going to Amazon, they're shopping more online, and luxury brands are increasingly selling directly to consumers, so they're not sending their stuff to department stores. So macy said, we have to change our strategy. They prioritize closing some struggling locations, but focusing on the one hundred and twenty five stores that they have that the retailer beliefs has the most potential. As a result, Macy's reported better than expected quarterly results. This turnaround seems to be paying off. They also kept their financial forecast for the year the same, which is very different from what we heard from a lot of other retailers who said, you know what, tariffs are really going to hit us. So investors are rewarding them shares of Macy's. Seeing a pretty nice pop in the pre market. So it's looking like a good day for Macy's and trading of that stock.
Speaker 3: Okay, And speaking of a pop, we had quite a pop in the stock market yesterday.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, no doubt about it.
Speaker 9: Wall Street kicked off the shortened trading week yesterday with a rally the US the UK taking steps to speed up their trade negotiations that supported stocks. We saw the Dow jumping seven hundred and forty one points. Now this morning, we're losing a bit of steam. We are just slightly higher. SMP futures are up to tenths of a percent, DOWT futures are a little change. But attention turns to Nvidia. They report earnings after the closing bell today, and of course their chips are vital to artificial intelligence.
Speaker 4: They are a bell weather of a lot of stuff.
Speaker 9: So we're going to be watching what's going on with them after the bell today.
Speaker 4: We're going to be talking about that tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, personally i'd be okay with a calm day on Wall Street. My goodness, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I know, it's been a rollercoaster.
Speaker 3: It's may.
Speaker 4: Anytime we hear.
Speaker 9: The word tariff on Wall Street, everybody either gets excited when they're getting pulled back, or they're a little upset when we hear that there's tariffs coming, or they're large tariffs.
Speaker 4: Look at what happened on Friday, yep.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Thanks so much for getting in your business like we do every day. Let's do again tomorrow. Shall we see you later? All right, take care. Let's say good morning now to Ihearts Aviation specialist Jay Ratliffe, Morning Jay.
Speaker 5: Hey, pleasant, good morning.
Speaker 3: He wanted to talk to you because a lot of people finalizing their summer travel plans. We thought it would be fun to give them a little insight into what they can expect. And surprisingly, when it comes to traveling through an airport, LAX is looking like a pretty good option.
Speaker 5: You know it is, and you know we're seeing some surprising numbers of travelers of the TSA. Let us know that as we kicked off the summer travel season, which goes loosely from Memorial Day to Labor Day. On Friday, we had across the country more than three million people that were screened. And it's only been I think two other times that we've been over three million in a day last July seventh and December first, also of last year, so three times in the last year and a half that we've had more than three million people that have been screened. So we've kind of kicked off the busy summer travel season, and as long as the weather cooperates and computers do what they should do and people show up for work, we should be in pretty good shape. But one thing that we're going to be impacted with this summer that we've not more in the past is the shortage of bear traffic controllers. We have about thirty four hundred thirty five hundred that were short across the country, and we've seen in Austin, we've seen in newer we've seen in Denver and Orlando and other places where they've actually scaled back the number of flights or initiated ground stops when need be if they have too much traffic and they need to slow things down based on the number of controllers that they have, and that's certainly going to be a headache if we encounter much of this busy summer travel season.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Jay, when you talk about scaling back flights, do they just full out cancel flights that are already scheduled or do they just as you said, when they scale back, do they just slow them down to make sure that there's not too many planes in the sky at any given time.
Speaker 5: That's it. And you've traveled enough that you know that they had these ground stops where your flight schedule to leave at seven am, but you're under a ground stop headed to your airport and you're on the plane, but they can't leave until seven thirty five. And the reason for that is the congestion at whatever air corridor is a little bit congested, and they want to find it out a bit before they're going to introduce more airplanes into that traffic pattern. So the FAA, who I give them a hard time, rightfully, so when need being, they do a very good job of traffic management, making sure that their air traffic controllers don't have any more than they should. Now, the problem is these men and women are using technology that is decades old, that goes back forty and fifty years some of the technology, so they don't have anything as far as the latest and greatest technology to do their job. They're also overworked. Many of are exhausted, so it's very problematic and stressful for these air traffic controllers. So I'm glad that the FAA is doing what they can to maybe minimize some of that a bit by the number of flights that they're tracking at a given time. But look, the challenges are full and if it's technology or the number of air traffic controllers, it's going to take us years, years to correct both of those. So this is going to be a topic that, sadly, you and I are going to be talking about on and off for the next few years until both of those situations get resolved.
Speaker 3: Okay, And recently, Jay, they there was a report put out about some of the airports that are faring better than others have fewer flight disruptions, and so we have our tops and San Francisco actually has the fewest disruptions of any of the major airports in the country.
Speaker 5: Which was surprising to me. I will I won't lie to you there, because look, the weather situation being one, but it's also the idea of surrounding airports and how much flight activity you have coming in and out of there, and as a result, I mean a lot, so many times the West coast cities can fare rather well as opposed to perhaps another airport, let's say, smack dab in the middle of the Northeast, which is just it's problematic on a good day getting flights in and out on time. If you're talking about LaGuardia and Newark and sometimes JFKVE and Philadelphia and Boston. You throw in some bad weather and all bets are off. So but you know, people that are going to be traveling this summer are going to be seeing a lot of different things as they fly. And there have been some changes. Airlines have changed some of their check in times with some of the carriers, where it used to be forty five minutes you had to be there, Now with some of them, you've got to check in an hour beforehand. So make sure if you've not flown your airline in a while, go to their website. Make sure that you're aware of what that check in time is, the cutoff time, because if you're supposed to be checking in your bags an hour before departure, and you get there an hour and fifteen minutes, but the line is twenty minutes. So you're checking in now forty five or fifteen minutes before departure. There's a good chance your bags aren't going to make the flight. You might, but the bags are going to be on a flight behind you. So knowing that stuff before you fly, and obviously getting there two hours before departure is always the best way to go about it, so you don't run into that. But airlines, you're tweaking how they do business, and they expect us to keep up on it, and that's the last thing we keep up on. But you know, it's a good thing to keep in mind. If we head to the airport. They go to six flags or amusement parks and I tell them, you know, get to the airport two three hours in advance, and they look at me like I'm crazy. But these same people will go stand in a summer sun for three hours to ride a two minute ride and think nothing of it. So getting to the airport early, believe me, is very very critical during this busy summer travel season.
Speaker 3: Well, Jay, we want a thrill ride when we're at an amusement park. We do not want a thrill ride when we're at an airport and on an airplane. Jay Ratliffe, Ihearts Aviation Specialist, Thanks so much for the tips and information as we head into the busy summer travel season.
Speaker 5: Always good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: All Right, you too, We's talk soon. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty, anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app