Speaker 1: In a dystopian alternate universe, the government has decided that all pre marital sex is now outlawed. However, under purge like circumstances, the singles are allowed to mingle annually for twelve hours on one night only. I'm Ronald Young Junior, and I'm leaving the theater. All right. This is Ronald and I Am leaving the theater after seeing one night Only. One night Only. Written by Travis Brawn, directed by Will Gluck, starring Monica Barbarro, Callum Turner, Maya Hawk, Julia Fox, King, Princess Ben Marshall, z Way, Molly Ringwald, ste Higham, and LeVar Burton per Usual. For complete cast listing of the cast and crew, you can check out the link in our show notes. I am not here alone today. I am here with Jonqueline Hill. Fan favorite Jacqueline Hill. I've heard at least one fan that says that you're their favorite.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, person said in it, so it technically counts.
Speaker 1: And there was somebody in the Patreon too, So oh, they're like really really, really really leveraged on this.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm sensing a pattern.
Speaker 1: That's the pattern me. Oh okay, yeah, that's a pattern, like, oh, okay, that makes sense, Okay, one night only. This is a romantic comedy set in New York City in a dystopian future or present in which.
Speaker 2: It could go either way. Like it and we'll get to it. I do think it has something to say.
Speaker 1: In a dystopian alternate universe in which sex before marriage is outlawed except for one night exemption from seven pm to seven am. It is the purge, but it is sex, and that is the premise. These two young people are out trying to also get some of that sex for themselves, and they end up on a night long venture of crossing paths over and over again, wondering why they keep ending up unlucky in love? Jonqueline Hill, what did you think of this? Your copy of the bank? Jocquolin Hill, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed this. This was like, this is kind of the rom com I think I've been itching for for a while. It is the twenty twenti's answer to the rom com. I feel like it falls in line with your say, Your New Year's Day, your Valentine's Day, those sort of ensemble movies. Even though this is not an ensemble. There are two stars. There are lots of cameos.
Speaker 1: There's lots of cameos.
Speaker 2: There's lots of Who's that. There's a lot of product.
Speaker 1: Placement, a lot of product placement.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, you want me to buy things? There are things you would like me to purchase. Y'all paid for this movie with.
Speaker 1: A y jelly and directs.
Speaker 2: Yes, they said we're a pair and we are going to get it on this. But at the same time, it was really fun. It was really enjoyable. I was skeptical of the premise at first going in, but it worked like they did it in a way that worked that didn't. I mean, all round, corn coms are a little corny, a little cheesy, but I think love is inherently corny and cheesy, and so it really it really worked for me. I enjoyed this. This was I had a fun time. Would you call it a romp?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I would call it a romp, But I really loved this movie. I had a really good time. Now I'm questioning on what my definition of a romp is, but I had a good time from the beginning to end. I like the music, I like the setting in New York. Granted, I am a sucker for movies set in New York, and now that I've spent a lot more time in New York, I think this is a one of the better depictions of being in New York. One of the better depictions. I'm not saying the best. I know this. New Yorkers are gonna watch this, like, what are you talking about? You can't get across town, and like, yes, I know all that's true, but just showing the little bits of it were very It was very fun. The setting and place. I thought. Callum Turner and Monica Barbaro, who is my new celebrity crush, I just I loved her so much. He's very charming. I think she's charming enough for the both of them. But I also think that Callum Turner played the role that he was playing very very well. I thought that, I don't know, they worked well together, Callum Turner more on the side of Klum Turner was doing more. I'm a focused man, I have goals, i have ambitions. I'm going in a certain direction. This is I want my life to be. And Monica Barbaro is more disillusioned with her life. She wants more. She's a dreamer, she's a creative, but she wants to fall in love. She wants romance. And both of them are arriving at the conclusion that they want to have sex on this night, but for both of them, they didn't want it to be meaningless. Until meaningless sex is kind of forced upon them in a not in a non consensual way, but more in a circumstantial way, which I don't know. I thought it worked in terms of moving the plot along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think one I understand why I do a lipa Mary Kalum Turner. I'm like, I see how this happened. It was a little bit. I'm like, these people can't get laid. Are we sure? Are we do? Sound it's looking like a skill issue because this should not be a problem. I found myself thinking, Okay, what is the politics of this movie? And it very much has something to say about our current political climate that we're in. It has a lot to say. It's kind of winking at the falling birth rate a little. Yes, it's really like and just like, and we're going to ge policies to do that. Now, this is a policy that I think would have the opposite effect but it gets at that at the same time as it's like, hey, let people do they want, we do what they want prosex. It's very much like but it can be meaningful like it's also a critique of hookup culture, and normally critiques of hookup culture make me roll my eyes because I feel like you should be able to do what you want, but it kind of like, hey, what if you don't want to do this. Something that I thought was interesting and appreciated is how little the internet.
Speaker 1: Showed up that. Okay, now that you say that, I'm realizing, yeah, I mean it shows up. There's an app form at one point, and then I can't think of another time that it was really in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all talking to each other in person. And I was sitting there and I was thinking, if this was the universe we lived in, I would have been on the app days ago and been like, hey, like what's going on? Blah blah blah, Like it would have been like okay, and we're swiping and we're talking and we're swiping and what are we doing? Like let And it really didn't do that. It really was like, no, these people are meeting in real life. People are going off chemistry. They don't need one girl left her phone at home. Like I thought that was really interesting how it took the internet and phones out of the equation in a way that didn't feel like, oh, this isn't happening now. It spoke to how people when it comes to dating, when it comes to relationships, when it comes to sex, we're kind of tired of the apps. I think it got at that.
Speaker 1: I like this movie because I like anything that is a call that is basically a commentary on our present dating lives now, but set in kind of a dystopian or futuristic way. And I think what this does well is exactly what you said about the hookup culture, which is it is saying essentially, society seems to be forcing us in a direction, and there are quite a few people that are either resigned to their fate of going in that direction, which in this case is having the night of sex, and you know, like kind of throwing caution to the wind, doing what they have to do. And there's some people who are just like, Okay, I'll do it, but I don't really want to. I don't necessarily want to do this thing that everyone says that I have to do, and in some cases that is the relationship escalator to marriage, kids, house, and another case is it's hookup culture. And I feel like what this movie does well is strike a balance between the two of those things, because they did show all of these people getting wild about the hook up, and in another case they show a couple of people who are happily married, or there's some indications that people are happily married and not really worried about hooking up on this night. But then I like when they deal with the grappling of people who say, do we have to do this though, Like we weren't responsible for whatever caused this policy, and now we're kind of thrown into these circumstances that don't really They don't really we don't want to be a part of this. They like, we didn't ask for this. They're just thrust upon us, and we're participating because maybe we want to, or maybe we don't have any other choice, maybe we don't feel like we have any other choice. And I just I like a movie that does that because that's what I feel like dating is right now. I feel like the apps are you are either forced onto an app or you're like forced to go out to the party so you could meet people. It seem like you're being social when the truth is we just want to meet our person while doing the things that we already do and hoping that they have a life similar to ours and settle it that way. That would be the nicest way, And that's kind of what happens in this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like, oh, dang, meet cutes, Like everyone had a meet cute, like if whether it was people like Oh, I'm going out with my friends and I met them in line for the bath and we're gonna like, oh we were out and about like oh, we were at a party, Like meat cutes are happening, and I think the world is their sy for meat cutes. One other thing that I appreciated, which was very realistic, was the way there's a sea where someone is eating soup dumplings, and I'm like, yeah, that happens when you eat soup dumplings.
Speaker 1: Correct, like the fall apart?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like sorry, I'm great with chopsticks, but this is gonna happen with soup dumplings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed. I thought it was very realistic in that regard. Do you think I'm wondering in case of the hooking. Sorry now I'm thinking about soup dumplings. Do you think with regard to especially when it comes to hookup culture, dating all of that, do you think that this is this movie pro sex or anti sex? Where did you feel like it actually fell?
Speaker 2: Okay? I think that's interesting because there's a moment towards the end that made me think, is this a promise ring ass movie? Is this a a Are we doing purity? Are we doing purity culture? And as someone who I mean, I don't I don't tell you grew up in church and during the Bush years, yeah, a lot of abstinence education literally in public school.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, And so there was a moment where it's like, hmmm, what are you saying? But I think I think the movie is pro hey, you should do what you want to do and happy, healthy and safe ways. Yeah, Like I think that's really what it comes down to, Like we have elders. I'm getting very interesting. There's one person where it's like, ooh, is this gonna be like, hey, don't run off with that guy. See what happens, And it's like, no, it actually ended up fine, and like I'm having a great time and this is exactly what I wanted. We're doing what we're doing, and then there are other people who are like, well, yeah, I like you, but I don't want to rush this. I kind of want to like get to know you and date for real and see what happens, and all right, if we got a way a year, we got a wait a year. So I don't I think it was on the way out of the movie. I did have a moment where is this anti sex? Is this? And I I don't think it falls in the line of like anti rpro. I think it's very much do what you want and a take. I'm just not used to take that nuanced anymore.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think it's very nuanced. I think this movie is pro nuance, which is good. I think it's it doesn't fall firmly on one side or the other. I think it sticks to the rules of romance in terms of its leads and saying, well, these two people are falling in love and they're having some hesitations about their other connections, which is a very real thing that you don't often see depicted, saying I could hook up with other people. I could, but I kind of don't want to, you know what, I mean like I kinda I don't. I like, I have this opportunity, but babe, and it doesn't happen, and I'm kind of glad that it didn't because I still kind of like this person and I would rather put my energy into them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you go through this, but like, as a person who is out on the apps, sometimes I'm like, yeah, I'm gonna swipe, I'm gonna go on dates, and other times I'm like, yeah, I want to find someone, but I just don't feel like doing this and I'm not gonna do it if my heart's not in it. I think it's very much like, don't do it if your heart's not in it.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree.
Speaker 2: I think it's also the movie is also just like that's a great lesson. However, the movie it's also like capitalism, capitalism, capitalism, oh uh, like subway signs. Every business featured in it acknowledges it. They're like, oh yeah, we would totally do it at campaign for that, and it's that almost is that is also dystopian, where it's just like wow, America runs every night and the one night like oh uh, want to get fluent in Spanish and.
Speaker 1: Love yeah, yeah, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very much like that. At the same time, they kind of the the an underlying plotline is them making fun of that shameless capitalism. Yeah, and so it's like it's a wink and a nod. It's a wink and a nod to be like, yeah, we know.
Speaker 1: It's savvy in the way that it incorporates advertising into the film itself, but also the advertising is a bit of a plot device that kind of is good for world building, if you will, in a way that I enjoyed, I thought was good. With all of that being said, here on leaving the theater, we rate movies out of five stars. I think you know the rating system. Well, three means you'd see it again, five means perfect satisfying, one hated it, two didn't like it, four loved it. Jocquelin Hill, what do you rate this movie out of five stars?
Speaker 2: I'm a solid four. When the movie was ending, I texted several group chats where I was like, Hey, go see this movie. I even posted, Hey, I know it's become a meme and we're rolling our eyes, but this is actually a really cute movie. I think it's really good it's nice to see. Is it a mid budget wrong? Come? Also, who are the people friends with? Because everyone was in that movie? Every single person was in that movie. There was a moment where I was like, am I in this movie? Was I in this movie? Like? What? What? And at first I thought, Oh, it's like every now there's one big one. And I was like, oh, it's like every now, and then they're being like, hey, we got we got a big one. And then I was like, oh, this is a lot of big ones. How much did that cost? Were these favors called in? Some people don't even make an actual appearance, it's just their photo. But even that is like, whoa what? Whoa what? Everyone is in this movie.
Speaker 1: I give it a four point one zero stars. And the reason why is because I gave The Odyssey and The Invite four stars, and I like Spider Man a little more than that at four point one stars. I liked this as much as I like Spider Man. I want to see both of them again. It was just it was good, It was enjoyable. It was a light, fun time. It was for those people who listen to this show that are looking for a movie that is it's not gonna get a lot of fanfare. It's gonna get swallowed up by Spider Man that is already made a billion dollars in like six days, and it's up against that again this weekend. If you're looking for something that's not that and you want to just go to the movies and feel the nostalgia of being at the movies in a simpler time, this is the film for you. This is the film for you. It's just it's easy, it's right down the middle. It's enjoyable. I want to watch it again. I want to show it to a bunch of people. I want them all to watch it. I just really enjoyed it. I think there's I think it could have been a little shorter. I think they stretched the ending a little bit. That's the only reason why it's not getting like a four point five or even a five star rating, because there was a couple parts in which, especially at the end, where I was satisfied at one point, and it kind of kept going a little bit, maybe like two to three minutes longer than I think it needed to.
Speaker 2: I think it did a thing.
Speaker 1: Are alert, don't actually spoil it?
Speaker 2: Yeah they're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do it without spoiling a jocolate.
Speaker 2: There is a satisfaction you want to have in the movie that you kind of get but don't, and I think they tried to have it both ways. I agree, And you know what, I understand why they had to have it both ways, because this particular element of movies we don't get anymore.
Speaker 1: We really don't.
Speaker 2: We don't. I one time I was homesick and I watched Ghost for the first time, and I was like, we're not doing it like this anymore. The angle like, we're not doing it like this anymore. And I think we're still not doing it like this anymore. If we were, we'd be out of five. But they were like, well, maybe we can just a little, like we can be like we know what the people want and one can give them little of it, maybe both ways, both ways, And it's like you can't have it both ways.
Speaker 1: I think there's one scene in particular, and you're right both ways. I think there's one scene in particular that just went like you either I'll just say this, you either in the movie with a dance number or you in the movie with a time jump. You cannot end with both.
Speaker 2: Ooh yeah, yeah, Actually, now I think of it. I think one of I think the more ridiculous ending would have been the best one.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: I think you have been so funny.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, I think you just you you there. In most rom coms, there's a scene where the person runs and it was you all along and they look at each other and they have a little kiss, and the classic ones will do the time jump right there and it's over, or you end on music, or you do the time jump and in with music in the time jump. You don't end with music and then fade out and then do a time jump. You just don't do that. And I think that's probably we're out of practice. So I'll just say that we're out of practice because that part, At that point, I was like, hmm, what are we doing here? Just we I get it. I'm happy. Stop stop doing what you're doing. You're you're selling past the clothes. As they say, you've closed the deal. You don't need to keep selling anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think we could have had a fun after credits scene.
Speaker 1: Mid credits. Yes, Hitch did that. Hitch did that. They're dancing through the credits and that's fine, you know what I mean, Like that's it is what it is.
Speaker 2: With all those different people. I would have loved.
Speaker 1: To see I'll take real. Yes in the credits.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there are funny people in this movie.
Speaker 1: I know they had some mouth ting.
Speaker 2: I know there's riffing. There's one with two actors where it's just like, what is this combination of people l the cops.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was the fake house at the bar, the guys at the bar. Oh. Yes, yes another one, yes, yes, yes, Like we're not riffing.
Speaker 2: We're not riffing. We're not doing more with magic cards.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're doing anyway. We're out of the review. This is our normal drive home conversation we're having now, all right with that? Leave at the Theater is a production of Oh It's Big Rod Studios. I mixed this episode. We are now the second week past the big announcement that has been posted on Patreon, which has to do with the new podcast that I am producing. I've been working on it. I have done a lot of recording. I've done a lot of traveling. I just listened to the last available recorded tape today and I highlighted it all. And I'll now I have to write, write episodes and send them downstream to my editor. And make sure that it is good. I am so excited about this. Every time I listen back to tape, I wonder did I actually get it? And I realize that I have something, and now the right is what takes it over the next edge to make it into the thing, the special that it's supposed to be. I am doing that. And today I went to the library and I was working, and I came here and I watched the screening and then I recorded this episode. I'll go home, I'll download this. I'll do a lot of writing tomorrow morning, and arranging and thinking and dreaming. I'll do all of that tomorrow and more of it on Thursday, and then i'll do more on Saturday. I have a lot of work, and I'm excited about the work. It is truly a labor of love to work for Oh It's Big Ron Studios. But it's still labor. If that means something to you, go to patreon dot com slash oh It's Big Ron, or go to the link in our show notes. Show art from Heather Wilder, theme music by the mysterious Breakmaster Cylinder. For more information about One Night Only or Jocquallin Hill, check out our show notes. You can follow me on Instagram, Blue Sky, TikTok, threads, or letterbox at Owitz Big Ron. That's at O H I T S b I g R O N. You can find out more about this show and other Ois Big Ron Studio shows by following us on Instagram at Owens Big Ron Studios. Leaving the theater will be back soon. Thanks for listening and thanks for being on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me friend. This was great. Give Ronald your money so he can make cool stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm Ronald Young Junior and I'm thinking about zoop tumplinks.