Speaker 1: Seven oh six fifty five cars de talk station. Look at the German music. It must be because we had returned into fifty five carssee Morning show. I call them our resident German expert and expert in all things German. Don Heinrich, Toltzman, d Gate and Zee. Welcome to the Morning Show.
Speaker 2: Gluten Morgan, Escape News Air Goacher.
Speaker 1: Underba with you feeling Donk going well? Sir, appreciate you being on the program, and I actually I think I anticipate where you are on this particular subject matter. The first one we're going to talk about is FC Cincinnati demolishing those historic beer beer tunnels for their three hundred million dollar expansion project. Aren't this protected historic relics? They're done well.
Speaker 2: You know, I might protest my comments by saying, and we've been talking recently together, we have a great brewing heritage here and I've written a lot about German heritage and a brewing heritage. Historically, were a major beer brewing center along with Saint Louis and Milwaukee. And it's not surprising that in the greater Cincinnati area we have about fifty breweries that have come about and they're brewing all kinds of great october Fest beer, and I hope we can get together at one of these festivals we have. October Fest Cincinnati is coming up in a week, the biggest one outside of Munich. And one thing that should be noted with all these great breweries we had here, especially before Prohibition, they built some wonderful and beautiful breweries. They look like castles. Unfortunately they've all been demolished. The moor Line Brewery and over the Rhine near Filly Market, the Hawk Brewery in the West End, the wado Win Brewery in Newport, they've all been demolished, whereas another you know, in other cities in places. Fortunately some of these have been repurposed, but we've lost some great ones here in our area unfortunately, maybe landmarks. Uh. Now. Recently, as you referenced, it was reported that FC Cincinnati would demolish the Lager beer tunnels in what was the old Lion Brewery. It's on the southwest corner of Central Parkway and Liberty Street. And I should say when you talk about lager beer, lager was a German is a German word for to store and age, and when Germans came here, all they found was a top fermented beer called ale it's called the common beer. And they wanted a bottom fermented beer that was stored and aged, usually for about a month. And more so they had they had had lagger beer sellers tunnels underground where they could store an age the beer. Now, the Lion Brewery was built in eighteen sixty six by the vendors Milhauser Brewing Company. It was one of the largest brewing companies in our area, second only to the more Line Brewery. Later on, prohibition, of course, put a lot of these breweries out of business, but it was re used, most recently by Burger Brewing, but then that closed down and in nineteen ninety three the main brewery building was demolishing. I'd like to say something about that brewery because I'd written about it in some of my books. It was a wonderful example of brewery architecture. It was like a castle. It had round arches called Romanesque Revival architecture. And right where Central Parkway is now it was the Miami Erie Canal, so it was located right there along the canal. People like to be on the canal because you could ship and receive stuff. I mean, you know that whole area was defined by the canal became known as the Rhine, and a lot of breweries were of course and over the Rhine, but many were also in the West End, such as the Hawk Brewery, which unfortunately it's a beautiful building, was also torn down, and so the Lion. It was called the Lion Brewery. And think about this, the storage tunnels it could store their thirty thousand barrels of beer. Whoa, but enough for many Logger beer festivals, I would say. But these these Louder beer sellers, there were rock lined vaults underground where they could store the beer. Now, the reports which have been in the media indicate that these Louder tunnels were planned to become a restaurant or bar uh and there would be skylights uh uh leading down to a stairway into space below where there there's be a bar or restaurant. And the reports that I read said this was supposed to be a tribute to our brewing heritage. But now plans have apparently changed, which ans to me like a bait and switch game. Uh. Promise something and then change it. Uh. The new reports indicate that the location of these stone vaults interfere with plans for a massive mixed use construction near the new the stadium, the FC Cincinnati Stadium, and the reports that they need to uh remove these vaults for the construction there. And so I should also add that FC Cincinnati was responsible for the demolition of a church building nearby that recently housed the Revelation Baptist Church and was originally a German Lutheran church. So you know, there there are a lot of structures and buildings that have been demolished in our area that are parts of part of the cultural heritage of our area. I know many people for example, they talk about the alb uh Theater downtown and there's other buildings. But once you demolish something, uh, it's gone.
Speaker 1: Can't And well, these historic battles have been waged, you know, over time, and you know a lot of historic homes. We should preserve that. And then while who's going to pay for it? And that's usually what it comes down to, well, who's going to pay for it? But this is something that can exist on its own. It's there already. I don't know what These vaults don't need maintenance and upkeeper anything, do they They're just part of history in the right there and just not being used. So out they go, and then goes the new buildings and infrastructure. But I want to go back to the point you made about this is the bait and switch. They had promised to keep these vaults. That the original plan involved maintaining and and and upholding the brewing tradition of the city.
Speaker 2: That's what what I have read in the reports that the reports were that the plans were to have a restaurant and bar, that there red lighting and money was described as monumental stairs leading down into that space. So there apparently were those kinds of plans. I don't know what happened to them, but yeah, the recent plans looked like they've been changed. Now. You know, the beautiful brewery building itself was demolished in nineteen ninety three, and as a matter of fact, I wrote about that in the Cincinnati Inquire that time at the time about how buildings were being torn down and demolished. So what is underground is just like the last remnants of the of that brewery. And surprised that.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you can't coexist and.
Speaker 2: That you know, the demolition can be undone.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, I mean said the case all the time in terms of you know, in ninety early nineties, when they when they knocked down the historic building, was there a discussion about preserving it and transforming it into something that people would use, like a restaurant or you know, fill in the blank anything. There were their efforts to save it or was just like one day was there and the next day they knocked it down and in favor of building something else.
Speaker 2: Well, the parts of the building, the brewery building were used that weren't torn down. Part of it was used for the Cincinnati Ballet Company, so there were still some parts of the building that were left, but the main brew house was no longer there.
Speaker 1: But were there any efforts to keep it at the time? Was there any fight, because we have these historic building fights all the time, like you know, some win and some lose, some get knocked down, some are preserved. I don't know what factors or criteria go into the decision making. My question though, to you, Harry Toltzman, is at the time before they knocked that building down, were there efforts to preserve it, whether it was an argument made to keep it, or was it just no, it's going and it's gone.
Speaker 2: I think the decision was made at that time to tear it down because of the it hadn't been used as a brewery by that time for about twenty years, I think, so the decision then was made to demolish it rather than as far as I can recall, there were no ideas or proposals to preserve the building. So a lot of buildings were demolished. But you know, I can understand that that if the plan changed now and they want to come up with a new plan, I mean, it's understandable then it would be very costly and maybe to go back to this other idea of having an undernound restaurant and bar and so on. But what I would say, and I might want to mention too, the tomorrow I'm going to be talking at the house house in the west End. I'm going to be talking about John how west End bear on it?
Speaker 1: Well, Don I'll tell you what. I'll let you plug that we come back because were out of time and I want to hear a little bit more about what you're going to be speaking about in terms of the how KYU. So let's bring har Toltzman back for a couple more minutes at seven to seventeen right now for five ksy TALKX station. Let me mention twenty two three on Route forty two between Mason and eleven. My favorite gun store and favorite indoor range and my favorite people who own it. Wendy and Jeff are outstanding and they have great folks working there to assist you with your firearms, purchase your range time classes. They have a gunsmith there. They have everything you could hope for in an indoor range in firearm store. They have accessories, and they have ammunition, and they have membership options, training classes, literally everything. So tell Wendy and Jeff. Brian said, how many stop in? I suggest strongly you learn more about what they have and all the options they have. Go to the website twenty two three dot com. That's number twenty two, followed by the word three spelled out twenty two to three dot com.
Speaker 2: New Dy five karc dot com.
Speaker 1: We're less than two weeks so well, and he plods that. On the next segment, the owner of a brand new brewery talking about Don Tolten here on the fund since I brew in tradition, alive and well, he mentioned about fifty plus breweries right now in operation and Hearthbury is the newest one, so we'll hear about that next. In the meantime, you mentioned you're going to be at the John Hawk House tomorrow. He is one of the beer barons you wrote about in your book Cincinnati Beer Barons in the Golden Age Brewery.
Speaker 2: He was one of the great brewers in our area. He brewed a beer that was called a premium beer and had a magnificent brewery that was in the West End. Unfortunately, that's now gone by The Hulk House is the residents of the Hawk family is still there and it's maintained and owned by the Cincinnati Preservation Association. So I'm going to be speaking there tomorrow at ten thirty. I'm going to talk about how and beer bearings, and also I make reference to these buildings that have been demolished. And one thing I might mention. I understand that with the current plans in place, that they have to demolish what is left, what is the remnants of a magnificent brewery, wipes out part of the heritage, the brewing heritage. But I would say this, Okay, I can understand the rationale, but why not then make a contribution to amend for the loss of this part of the brewing heritage. And I would say, could FC Cincinnati, for example, make a contribution to the how House that would in some way compensate for the loss of all the brewery buildings that we've lost here. People forget them, uh, And I appreciate we're getting new breweries, but we had a great tradition here. So I would I would say this, and I would appeal to the conscience of SC Cincinnati, that is, if it has one to make a contribution for all the billings and the Lion Brewery in particular, that we have lost in this church. I mentioned, uh that I don't think they should be forgotten and just swept away and the how John Howe was an important brewer. These brewers gave back to the community. He for example, saved the Cincinnati Zoo from bankruptcy when it was just about going to fold and close down. He introduced he owned the Cincinnati Reds. He introduced the beer being served at a Reds baseball game. So think about that when you go to a baseball and we say, for granted, you can get a beer. Well, at one time beer was not served at a baseball game. People were against it, part of the Puritan Yeah, so he pioneered that. So I mean what I'm talking about, what I've been trying to record as well. Know we talked about many times there are a lot of things in our heritage that should of the Cincinnati area. They are important, and this is why people come to our area because of our great beer. We have here a great heritage, and things get lost in the course of time. Some of them ought to be remembered, and I think the Lion Brewery was an important part of the architectural heritage of our area.
Speaker 1: Well, what time are you going to be at the house house which is located for my listeners, it's eight twelve Dayton Street, downtown Cincinnati, eight and it is a beautiful Italianate home, so absolutely gorgeous historic home that's being preserved. What time are you going to be there?
Speaker 2: Done? I'm going to be there at ten thirty. And I should also mention we have some great brewing memorabilia collectors and a good friend of mine, Carl Grows, will be there and he'll have some interesting, beautiful pieces of glassware and someone that was produced by the how Brewery. They're going to be on display there, so I hope people interested in brewing heritage would come out. And I would like to thank you too, Brian, for all you do to help preserve interest and the heritage of our area and all.
Speaker 1: In my mind it all surrounds fun. Anytime I'm hanging out with the Germans or these festivals and doing anything with the Germans, it seems to be a festive party like atmosphere. And mentioning the word again Gamuti Kite, which always comes up. Don Heinrich Toltzman, always a pleasure to talk with, my friend. Good luck with that speech tomorrow again the Houke House. It's located at eight twelve Dayton Street. Jos Jrek will put the link air on the blog page fifty five care Sea dot com. We'll talk again soon. I hope don have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. Won't keep in touch.
Speaker 1: My pleasure coming up at seven twenty seven, coming up on beer and he plugs that hearthbrewer, gonna learn all about it from his garage to his own brewery. Continuing the historic tradition in Cincinnati, first fast and pro roofing, doing great roofing work like they have been for so many years since nineteen ninety nine helping out folks in the Greater Cincinnati area with great roofing work. Starting with honesty. That's one of the reasons they enjoy a plus with a better business bearer, because there's a lot of ripoff artists in the roofing industry. If you're one of those, you know who you are, and you're an evil person for taking people for a ride. Most people don't know anything about rus. Most people don't get on the roofs like me, and you don't know if you have a problem up there. That's why you call Fast and Pro. It's a free roof inspection. You should kind of put it on your calendar every several years and say, hey, I wonder how that roof is doing, because once your roof gets you know, ten to fifty, however many years under its spelt, could be that you've had a hail problem.
Speaker 2: That's what I had.
Speaker 1: You know, roof wasn't that old, but I had to replace it because it was ruined by hail. Fastened Pro Roofing brought that to my attentions actually by way of Chimney Care Fireplace in Stove, who was working with my chimney. So one thing led to another roof replacement. I took the time to had the gutter's replace and the siding on the back replace. Got rid of that old ugly vinyl we had on the back rear of our upper rear of our house. Now I got hardyboard. The work they do is absolutely superior. Confidently call them if you need a replacement roof shingle. They do all kinds of roofs, residential and commercial, but if you need as a shingle replacement roof, they'll automatically upgrade you to the certainty Landmark pro fifty year shingle, no additional cost to you. Fastendproroofing dot Com fast E N. Fastenproroofing dot Com. Five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: The tox to