Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: So I want you to imagine standing outside on a clear night, right away from the city lights.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, best way to see the sky exactly.
Speaker 2: You look up and you just see thousands of stars. And for well the entirety of human history, those stars have been little more than untouchable points of light.
Speaker 3: To us, right, just distant data points.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, we measure their luminosity, We watch them wobble to guess if their planets. We do all as crazy spectroscopic analysis on the light. But the idea of actually getting a visual you know, yeah, like a true ultra high definition, twenty meter resolution photograph of a planet orbiting an entirely different sun.
Speaker 3: It sounds like pure science fiction, right.
Speaker 2: It always felt like something fundamentally locked away behind centuries of future engineering. The distances are just they're too.
Speaker 3: Vast there, really are. I mean, space is big in a way the human brain isn't built to understand exactly.
Speaker 2: But and this is what we're getting into today on this deep dive. There is a meticulously detailed engineering roadmap out there now. T. Marshall Eubanks and the team at Space Initiatives, Inc. They've demonstrated that within our lifetime we could actually have those images.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of a planet orbiting our closest stellar neighbor. Right.
Speaker 2: We are moving from the realm of abstract telescopic data to tangible, close up visual evidence of another solar system, and not in five hundred years, but within the span of a normal human life, which is just wild to me.
Speaker 3: It forces a complete reassessment of our whole technological trajectory really, because we are looking at the in situ exploration of Proxima B.
Speaker 2: Approxima B is the exoplanet right in the habitable zone Approxima century right exactly.
Speaker 3: And that phrase in situ, that's the game changer here. It fundamentally alters the scientific return. We're no longer talking about just relying on a few photons that have traveled four light years to hit a mirror in Earth orbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hoping we catch a glimmer.
Speaker 3: Right, we are talking about physical presence in that alien system, and doing it within a human timeframe means we have to completely abandon the incremental advancements we've been making in traditional propulsion, because.
Speaker 2: The Apollo air mechanics, right, lighting a controlled explosion under a giant metal cylinder, that won't get us there, not even close. I mean, if we look at the Voyager one spacecraft, it's currently moving at roughly what thirty eight thousand miles per hour around that Yeah, which sounds fast.
Speaker 3: Right by terrestrial standards, that's blistering, but by interstellar standards, it's basically a rounding error above zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at that velocity, reaching Proxima Centauri would take well over seventy.
Speaker 3: Thousand years seventy thousand, So to bridge a gap of over four light years, which is about twenty four trillion miles within a couple of decades, we have to defeat what they call the tyranny of the rocket equation.
Speaker 2: The Coosky rocket equation. Yeah, it is the absolute supreme bottleneck of spaceflight.
Speaker 3: Break that down for us a bit.
Speaker 2: So simply put every gram of payload you want to move, requires propellant to move.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. But that propellant has a mass, right, so now you need additional propellant to accelerate the initial propellant. Oh wow, it becomes this brutal exponential penalty. You end up with vehicles where ninety nine percent of the mass is just highly explosive liquid just to nudge a tiny, tiny fraction of functional payload up into a vacuum.
Speaker 2: So if you want to go really fast, if we want to.
Speaker 3: Travel at relativistic speeds, say twenty percent, the speed of light carrying fuel becomes a physical impossibility. The mass ratio just becomes infinite.
Speaker 2: So the solution they propose is conceptually simple, but from an engineering standpoint absolutely terrifying.
Speaker 3: Oh it's wild.
Speaker 2: We just leave the fuel behind exactly. Instead of putting the engine on the spacecraft, we heat the engine on Earth. We build an enormously powerful laser array and use it to push an incredibly lightweight spacecraft that's equipped with a photon sail.
Speaker 3: And people might wonder, how does light push anything? Light has no mass?
Speaker 2: Right, I was going to ask that, But.
Speaker 3: Because energy and momentum are inextricably linked in physics. Photons do actually carry momentum, so when a laser photon strikes a highly reflective sail and bounces off, it transfers a minuscule physical push.
Speaker 2: So it's like windsurfing, but instead of the wind pushing your sail, you have a giant stationary fan on the beach, aimed perfectly at your back, just pushing you across the ocean.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect analogy, actually, and it is the relentless accumulation of that microscopic momentum that makes this viable. A single photon's momentum is negligible.
Speaker 2: Sure, don't feel flashlight beam hitting.
Speaker 3: In exactly, but a gigawat class laser array focused on a specialized sail in the vacuum of space that delivers trillions upon trillions of photons every single second.
Speaker 2: And there's no air resistance.
Speaker 3: Right without atmospheric drag to slow it down. That continuous bombardment accelerates the craft continuously. You apply that gigawat beam for just a few minutes or hours, and the craft reaches twenty percent the speed of light before it even leaves our solar system.
Speaker 2: Okay, but wait, the challenge with that frictionless ocean of space. Is that the laser itself isn't perfect, right. Look, if you're aiming massive, incredibly powerful lasers into space, are we sure we can actually hit something that small over such vast distances.
Speaker 3: That is a massive hurdle. You're talking about the diffraction limit, right. A beam of light naturally spreads out the further it travels. If we are firing from Earth or even Earth orbit, keeping that beam tight enough to hit a meter wide sail a million mile away requires an optical array of just staggering proportions.
Speaker 2: Because it'll just turn into a wide, weak flashlight beam.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, precisely to keep the spot size of the laser small enough to remain entirely on the sale at lunar distances and beyond, you essentially need a phased array of lasers spanning square kilometers.
Speaker 2: Square kilometers of lasers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you build it on the Earth's surface, you introduce the absolute nightmare of atmospheric distortion. The atmosphere is always boiling and churning.
Speaker 2: Which makes stars twinkle, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, But that twinkling would scatter a concentrated laser beam instantly, so you have to employ extreme adaptive optics. We're talking deformable mirrors that physically change shape thousands of times a second to perfectly counteract the atmospheric turculence.
Speaker 2: That's insane, it.
Speaker 3: Is It ensures the combined beam wavefront is perfectly flat as it exits the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: And we aren't pulling this concept out of thin air either. Like the Japanese Space Agency JAXA demonstrated the foundational physics with icrows back into using solar photons.
Speaker 3: YEAP sunlight pushing a sale.
Speaker 2: And the Planetary Society followed up with light Sale two. Plus you had the Breakthrough Starshot initiative, which spent millions mathematically validating the transition from solar power to focused laser power. So the physics of a light driven sail are solid.
Speaker 3: The physics are extremely solid, but the propulsion system dictates the entire anatomy of the spacecraft.
Speaker 2: Right, because if the laser array is pushing, the payload has to be virtually massless. We can't attach a heavy mars er over to a photon sale.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: We are looking at a payload measured not in tons but in grams. And Ubank's team they call them coracles soracles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the microengineering required for a coracle is arguably as daunting as the laser array itself. To achieve a fifth of light speed without requiring a laser that consumes the energy output of a medium sized country, the entire spacecraft, including the sale, must weigh just a couple of grams.
Speaker 2: A couple of grams.
Speaker 3: You have to pack propulsion, navigation, powered generation, communication, and scientific instrumentation onto a platform the size and weight of a paper clip.
Speaker 2: It's the ultimate exercise in miniaturization. Let's break down what's actually in that payload. Because you obviously can't fit a standard telescopic lens on something that flat, right.
Speaker 3: A long camera tube is out of the question.
Speaker 2: So they're proposing a two hundred millimeter annulus aperture folded optic.
Speaker 3: Camera, which is a brilliant piece of engineering.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Essentially they are etching microscopic mirrors into a flat wafer, bouncing the incoming light back and forth internally to mimic the focal length of a massive bulky camera. It gives you deep space telescopic resolution in a completely two dimensional form factor.
Speaker 3: And alongside that folded optic system, you need a communication layer. A gram scale probe obviously cannot house a high gain radio dish like standard probes.
Speaker 2: So how does it phone home?
Speaker 3: It relies on the sale itself acting as an antenna, or, in some designs, highly specialized meta materials woven to directly into the sale fabric. But we have to face a harsh reality here. A single gram scale camera, no matter how brilliantly engineered, is scientifically weak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd imagine.
Speaker 3: So if you send one single coracle to Proximu Sentaury, the signal to noise ratio of its transmission back to Earth would be atrocious, the imaging would be highly restricted.
Speaker 2: Basically, you send one, you get a blurry, noisy thumbnail after a twenty year weight exactly.
Speaker 3: So, the paradigm shift here is abandoning the monolithic spacecraft model. We aren't sending a flagship like Cassini or Voyager. We're sending an insects swarm.
Speaker 2: Thousands of these individual coracles launched in rapid succession. And the swarm isn't just for redundancy, right, like, it's not just backups. The swarm is the fundamental mechanism of how the science actually works.
Speaker 3: Yes, the swarm operates as a vast distributed interferometer.
Speaker 2: Okay, interferometer, explain that for us.
Speaker 3: So interferometry relies on the wave nature of light. If you have two small telescopes separated by say ten kilometers, and they observe the exact same target simultaneously, you can mathematically combine their light waves. Okay, when those waves interfere with each other, they synthesize an image with the resolution of a single mirror that is ten kilometers wide.
Speaker 2: Way, so it's like sending one highly trained, heavily armored knight versus sending an entire colony of ants. One ant can't do much, but the colony together can move mountains.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to look at it.
Speaker 2: And we did exactly this to capture the first image of a black hole with the event horizon telescope. Right, We networked observatories across the globe to turn the Earth into one giant lens.
Speaker 3: We did, But applying that to the coracles is just wild. You have this diffuse cloud of microscopic cameras spread out over thousands of kilometers, hurtling through the target solar system at sixty thousand kilometers a second. Mind blowing, and by time stamping and combining their individual observations, they synthesize an optical capability larger than our entire planet.
Speaker 2: It totally circumvents the mass limit brilliantly, you distribute the mass of a massive telescope across thousands of gram scale nodes. But I mean that astronomical capability requires a target worthy of the effort, oh definitely, And we are aiming this swarm at the Proximus Centauri system, which is the tertiary component of the Alpha Centaury group. And Proxima Centauri is an m dwarf. It's a red dwarf star. It's violently different from our yellow Sun.
Speaker 3: Very different. It's a fraction of the mass, significantly cooler, and it emits most of its light in the infrared spectrum.
Speaker 2: And the target proxima B orbits within the star's habitable zone. But because red dwarfs are so cool, that habitable zone practically scrapes the surface of the star, like Proxima B orbits closer to its star than Vircuy does.
Speaker 3: To our Sun, which introduces some extreme conditions that close proximity almost guarantees the planet is tidally.
Speaker 2: Locked, meaning one side always faces the star exactly.
Speaker 3: The gravitational gradients across the planet's diameter, over billions of years, dissipate its rotational energy. Eventually its orbital period matches its rotational period. So one hemisphere faces the eternal, glaring red Sun while the other faces the freezing absolute zero of deep space.
Speaker 2: So because Proximobe is tidally locked, we aren't just looking at a static terminator line like some peaceful twilight zone in the middle.
Speaker 3: Now, the atmospheric dynamics would be chaotic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The atmospheric circulation models suggest ferocious supersonic winds constantly transferring heat from the boiling day side to the frozen night side.
Speaker 3: And that assumes the planet has managed to hold on to its atmosphere at all, because we have to factor in the tantrums. The tantrums m dwarfs are violently convective. They undergo magnetic reconnection events that utterly dwarfs anything our Sun produces. The stellar flares from proximusentaury are catastrophic. They periodically bathe the habitable zone and lethal doses of ultraviolet radiation and high energy X rays.
Speaker 2: So an unshielded atmosphere subjected to that relentless stellar wind and flaring activity instantly at risk of being stripped away completely, leaving just a sterile, irradiated rock.
Speaker 3: Exactly. It's a harsh.
Speaker 2: Neighborhood, which raises the immediate question for me, why go Like if astrobiologists snow proximusentry regularly sceralizes its inner system with X ray flares, why dedicate the first interstellar mission to looking for biology there? Doesn't that make it a terrible place for biology. It feels like pointing our most advanced technology at a cosmic blast furnace.
Speaker 3: That is a very common objection, but it is the ultimate test of biological resilience. You have to remember M. Dwarf's account for roughly seventy to eighty percent of the stellar population in our galaxy.
Speaker 2: Wow that many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are the standard, not the exception. Our Sun is actually kind of the odd ball. So if life requires the quiet, stable environment of a G type star like our Sun, then life is exceptionally ruer in the universe.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 3: However, if we survey Proxima B and find that a thick atmosphere has survived, or that biology has somehow adapted, perhaps retreating to subsers. We're thriving under the ice of the dark side. It implies that life is aggressively tenacious.
Speaker 2: Well, that makes sense. Proximabe is the crucible that will tell us that the galaxy is teeming with life or mostly just dead space.
Speaker 3: Exactly if life can survive there, it can probably survive anywhere.
Speaker 2: So we have a target that could redefine biology, and we have a propulsion system to get us there in twenty years. But bridging those two points introduces the most severe navigational challenge ever conceived.
Speaker 3: It's an absolute nightmare.
Speaker 2: Because you have thousands of disconnected paper clips flying at twenty percent of light speed. They are over four light years away. If a coracle detects a trajectory error and radios Earth for a course correction, that radio wave takes over four years to reach.
Speaker 3: Us, right, and our reply takes another four years.
Speaker 2: That is an eight year ping for a single instruction. Like, they cannot be remote controlled. You can't have a guy with a joystick on Earth.
Speaker 3: No. Complete autonomy is absolute mandatory, and you can't use standard inertial navigation systems either. Yeah, gyroscopes and accelerometers, they naturally drift over a twenty year cruise. They just aren't precise enough over that time span, so they have to navigate by the cosmos itself. They'll be utilizing pulsar navigation.
Speaker 2: Using stars as lighthouses.
Speaker 3: Specifically millisecond pulsars. These are rapidly rotating neutron stars emitting beams of electromagnetic radiation with literal atomic clock precision.
Speaker 2: So the probes measure the arrival times of these X ray pulses. But it's not as simple timing exercise, as it.
Speaker 3: Not at all. At twenty percent the speed of light, the probe experiences significant relativistic time dilation.
Speaker 2: Okay, Einstein's relativity kicks out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the onboard clock actually ticks slower relative to the rest of the universe. Furthermore, as the probe races toward a pulsar or away from it, the incoming X ray pulses are severely Doppler shifted.
Speaker 2: Like the siren of an ambulance changing pitch as it drives past you.
Speaker 3: Exactly the same principle, but with light and X rays. So the autonomous software has to calculate complex Lorenz transfers just to figure out where it is in the three D space.
Speaker 2: Wait, so the computational density required to process relativistic pulsar navigation on a gram scale chip. Yep, that is immense.
Speaker 3: It is a phenomenal software and hardware challenge. But knowing your location is only the first step. You also have to coordinate with the rest of the.
Speaker 2: Swarm, right because of the interferometry we talked about exactly now.
Speaker 3: The researchers model three operational modes for this. The first is sending them as entirely independent agents. They drift, they don't talk to each other, They just fly by and snap photos.
Speaker 2: Which I guess drastically lowers the engineering threshold, but it kind of ruins the science.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it It does. Without coordination, you can't synthesize the interferometer, you just get thousands of redundant, blurry images of the same hemisphere.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what's the second option?
Speaker 3: The ideal, and by far the most challenging, is what they call the time coherent swarm. In this architecture, the probes actively monitor their relative positions when the flyby occurs. They don't just bro podcast randomly. They calculate the exact distance to Earth and synchronize their radio transmissions down to the picosecond.
Speaker 2: Down to the piico second.
Speaker 3: Yes, the goal is for the individual weak radio waves from thousands of pobes to physically align their phases in the interstellar medium so they arrive at Earth as a single, unified, coherent wavefront.
Speaker 2: Wow. I picture it like a stadium full of people holding up flashlights. If everyone turns their flashlight on and waves it around randomly, this statium just looks like a chaotic blur from a distance exactly. But if you network them all and every single person flashes their light at the exact same nanosecond, it creates a blinding focused beacon that could be seen from low Earth orbit.
Speaker 3: That is the exact principle.
Speaker 2: Yes, But getting thousands of independent probes to execute that nanosecond synchronization while dodging interstellar dust that sounds like a nightmare.
Speaker 3: And you brought up a great point. Dodging interstellar dust. The interstellar medium is not completely empty. It is filled with microscopic dust, grain, and stray hydrogen atoms. When you collide with a speck of dust at sixty thousand kilometers per second, the kinetic energy exchange.
Speaker 2: Is explosive because of the speed right, it.
Speaker 3: Will physically pit the optics, it'll shred the ultra thin sale, and it will completely fry the microscopic circuitry.
Speaker 2: So we are effectively firing a cosmic shotgun blast and just hoping a few of the pellets hit the exact right spot to take a picture.
Speaker 3: Yes, you essentially have to accept a brutal attrition rate. Maybe you launch ten thousand coracles and the dust claims half of them. The relativistic impacts simply vaporize them en route.
Speaker 2: That sounds disastrous.
Speaker 3: Actually that's the beauty of the swarm architecture. It completely inverts traditional mission risks. Oh how so, think about a billion dollar monolithic probe. If it hits a dust grain and loses its main bus, the mission is entirely dead, twenty years of planning gone. But if the swarm loses five thousand units, the remaining five thousand just recalibrate the in frometry baseline. They just adapt, They absorb the casualties and keep flying. Statistical resilience is their armor.
Speaker 2: That makes total sense. So by the time this surviving vanguard reaches the Proximus Andry system, the swarm has likely drifted into a sprawling cloud roughly one hundred thousand kilometers across.
Speaker 3: A massive diffuse cloud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that sprawling formation brings us to the climax of the mission, which is violently brief. Yeah, because they cannot decelerate right. The close approach flyaby approximate b lasts less than sixty seconds, less than a minute. You travel silently for twenty years dodging microscopic bombs in the void, all for a sixty second window. The velocity is sixty thousand kilometers every second. The cameras have to run at absurd speeds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, The payload specifications demand high dynamic range cameras firing up to one million frames per second.
Speaker 2: A million frames a second, because the logic there is that at those speeds, a standard exposure time would just capture a blurred streak right.
Speaker 3: Now, exactly, You need microsecond exposures just to freeze the terrain, which means you need millions of them to successfully map the surface as you scream past.
Speaker 2: But the data generation during that minute must be catastrophic, like a single probe. Firing a megapixel camera at a million frames per second generates terabytes of raw data almost instantly.
Speaker 3: It does multiply that across a swarm of thousands of surviving probes, and you have petabytes of deep space imagery sitting in their memory banks.
Speaker 2: And here hits the brutal physics of the communication bottleneck. You have an antenna the size of a postage stamp, backed by a microwatt power source, trying to push data through four light years of interference.
Speaker 3: The bandwidth is agonizingly thin.
Speaker 2: Even if the probe survive the flyby and spend the next fifty years doing nothing to transmitting, they can only physically send a tiny fraction of the data they collected.
Speaker 3: Right. This creates an acute triagen crisis. The probes have terabytes of data, but they can only send megabytes. They have to aggressively filter, and they have to do it autonomously.
Speaker 2: Because Earth can't help them decide. No.
Speaker 3: Earth is four years away by radio. So this requires edge computing driven by a highly specialized on board neural network, and.
Speaker 2: They use what's called a look ahead strategy.
Speaker 3: Right now, Yes, because the swarm is a deep cloud, right, it's spread out along the axis of travel. So the vanguard probes, the ones at the very front they arrive hours or even a day before the main cluster. Okay, As they approach, they take preliminary low resolution optical and thermal readings of the system. Their onboard AI processes those approach vectors. It is specifically trained to ignore the mundane.
Speaker 2: Like vast stretches of empty ocean or barren rock.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it looks for anomalies. The AI is hunting for high albedo reflections that might indicate ice caps or specific thermal gradients that suggest active cry volcanism. Or maybe it spots an unusual shadow profile that might be an uncataloged exa moon. Once the vanguard AI flags an anomaly, it broadcasts the coordinates backward to the trailing main fleet.
Speaker 2: It effectively acts as a spotter. It's like trying to photograph a specific license plate on a highway while you are blasting past at mock ten and you only have enough memory card space to save three pictures. The AI is the passenger screaming look left, take the shot.
Speaker 3: That's a brilliant way to put it. It tells the thousands of trailing cameras ignore the northern hemisphere, focus all folded optics on this specific coordinate cluster near the terminator line.
Speaker 2: That is so smart.
Speaker 3: And more importantly, once the main fleet executes the flyby and fills its memory banks, the AI dictates exactly which packets of data represent the highest scientific value. It ruthlessly deletes petabytes of dark sky and redundant terrain to ensure the exact frames containing a potential coastline or strange atmospheric cloud are prioritized for the transmission back to Earth.
Speaker 2: It is localized light speed decision making, So assuming the eye performs perfectly, the data is compressed, the phase alignment is locked, and the time coherence WARM broadcasts its wall of light back home, and then.
Speaker 3: Four point two years later, that highly refined data stream washes over our radio observatories here on Earth.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if this wall of light reaches us, what are we actually going to see? What secrets will proximate field? The primary return is the optical data. Right through the synthesized aperture of the swarm, we achieve twenty meters surface resolution of proxima.
Speaker 3: B twenty meters, which is.
Speaker 2: That isn't just a pixelated blob of color. At twenty meters, you are resolving major geological formations. You are seeing the jagged edges of mountain ranges, the distinct boundaries of continent sized land masses, and potentially the swirling fourtexes of extreme weather systems. Driven by those tidally locked temperature extremes.
Speaker 3: We might even see weather patterns. And because the vanguard captures approach and departure angles, we even get thermal mapping of the dark side.
Speaker 2: The visual data is visceral just thinking about it, but the most profound discoveries will likely come from transmission spectroscopy, won't they.
Speaker 3: Yes, almost certainly. As the swarm flies through the system, it will position itself so that the light from proximusentry passes through the atmosphere of Proxima B before hitting the cameras.
Speaker 2: Right, And we do that now with the games Web Space telescope exactly when an exoplanet transits its star. We analyze the starlight that silters through the planet's atmospheric rim different molecules like water, methane, carbon dioxide. They absorb very specific wavelengths of light. By looking at the spectrum that makes it to our telescope and seeing which colors are quote unquote missing, we can determine exactly what the atmosphere is made of.
Speaker 3: But the limitation of web is distance and noise. We are looking across light years. The coracles are doing it in situ, right there in the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Oh, the clarity must be unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It is. And because they are moving at relativistic speeds, the onboard spectrometers must account for massive Doppler shifting.
Speaker 2: Again right, Because they are flying toward.
Speaker 3: The light, the starlight hitting the probe is heavily blue shifted as the probe races toward the star, and the absorption lines of the atmosphere areviolently skewed by the relative velocity. But once the AI corrects for that, the sensitivity of the data allows us to hunt for specific complex molecular chains.
Speaker 2: We are hunting for biomarkers exactly. Finding methane is interesting, but methane can be geological.
Speaker 3: Right right. Volcanoes make methane.
Speaker 2: But finding methane alongside high concentrations of oxygen is a massive red flag because those gases react and deplete each other quickly. If they are both present in a stable atmosphere, something is actively and continuously replenishing them, and.
Speaker 3: In our experience on Earth. That's something is a global biological mechanism life life.
Speaker 2: But the search extends beyond biology to techno signatures too, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, the spectrometers will be tuned to look for molecules that do not occur through natural, thermodynamic or geological processes, like what complex chlorofluorocarbons, nitrogen dioxide and unnatural concentrations or specific isotopic ratios of heavy metals in the atmosphere. Finding those would strongly indicate active industrial scale artificial chemistry.
Speaker 2: Finding alien industrial smog on the closest star to Earth.
Speaker 3: It would change everything.
Speaker 2: It would be the most chilling and paradigm shattering discovery in human history. But and this is where the mission profile gets crazy. There is a secondary method of chemical analysis proposed that is far more aggressive. Ah. Yes, the impactors the swarm relies on density and near the center of the formation. The probes are tightly clustered. Statistically, it is a near certainty that several coracles will not execute a clean flyby their trajectory will intersect the planet itself.
Speaker 3: They essentially become kinetic impactors kamacaze probes right.
Speaker 2: And a gram of mass might sound insignificant, but kinetic energy scales with the square velocity right, so it's sixty thousand kilometers per second. The kinetic energy of a single gram is roughly equivalent to forty tons of TNT.
Speaker 3: It's a massive explosion.
Speaker 2: If it hits the atmosphere, it doesn't gracefully burn up like a shooting star. It undergoes near instantaneous vaporization. It creates a highly energetic plasma flash in the upper atmosphere. And if the planet has no atmosphere, the probe slams into the bedrock, creating a hypervelocity crater and an explosive plume of ejected mantle material.
Speaker 3: And the incredible thing is this isn't viewed as a failure. It is leveraged as impact spectroscopy.
Speaker 2: Oh, they use the explosion.
Speaker 3: Yes, the trailing members of the swarm, positioned just off the impact vector, will train their million frame per second cameras directly on the explosive flash.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: By running a spectroscopic analysis on the light emitted from that vaporized plasma, they gather an exact elemental breakdown of the planetary surface or deep atmospheric layers. That standard transmission spectroscopy could never penetrate.
Speaker 2: Well wait, you're glossing over the planetary protection aspect. Like astrobiologists are hyper cautious about contaminating Christine environments. We bake our Mars rovers and industrial events for weeks just to kill terrestrial microbes. Very sure, here we are talking about intentionally or accidentally firing a man made object at relativistic speeds into a potentially habitable biosphere. Doesn't creating a hypervelocity explosion on an alien world raise some ethical questions. We are introducing artificial isotopes, heavy metals, and earth manufactured silicon directly into an alien ecosystem.
Speaker 3: It's a valid concern, but the planetary protection protocols focus primarily on biological contamination. At twenty percent the speed of light, the kinetic heat of impact is so absolute that the molecular bonds of any terrestrial biological hitchhiker are violently ripped.
Speaker 2: Apart, so nothing could survive the crash.
Speaker 3: The probe is sterilized on a subtomic level upon impact. And as for the material itself, you are introducing artificial isotopes, yes, but you must weigh that against the natural background mechanics of the system. We Proxima B is constantly bombarded by high velocity interstellar dust and natural micrometeorites. The addition of a gram of carbon, fiber and silicon, while unnatural, is a localized kinetic event that is practically indistinguishable from the background oars of cosmic bombardment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the scientific return of knowing the bedrock composition of an alien world is deemed worth the localized kinetic disruption exactly, and the mission continues even after the impactors are vaporized and the main fleet screams pass Proxima B because they can't stop. They are still moving at a fifth of light speed, heading out into the deeper black of the Alphacentury system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their journey isn't over. Roughly a year after the PROXIMY encounter, the surviving swarm will pass by the Alpha centaury Ab binary.
Speaker 2: Pair, the two larger stars in that system.
Speaker 3: Right, Alpha centaury A and B are much larger sun like stars. Now, the flyby will be distant, roughly ten thousand astronomical units away, but the swarm will reorient its folded.
Speaker 2: Optics to look back at them.
Speaker 3: Yes, they will use the vast baseline of their spread out formation to conduct deep field interfrometry on the binary stars. They'll be searching for planetary bodies in the orbits, mapping the stellar winds, and broadcasting that data back to Earth until their RADIOI stop batteries finally fail or the interstellar medium just degrades their sales completely.
Speaker 2: It is an almost unbelievable architectural vision. We started by looking at those untouchable points of light in the night sky, and the profound realization here is that the physics to touch them it already exists.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Zielkowski equation limits our rockets, but it doesn't limit our light.
Speaker 2: Building a gigawatt adaptive optic laser array on Earth and microengineering folded optic cameras onto a few grams of graphine. It's a monumental engineering mountain to climb, but it requires no new physics. It requires no warp drives or a theoretical wormhole.
Speaker 3: No, it just demands a total revision of what exploration means. The vanguard of humanity won't be heavy steel hulls occupied by astronauts. It will be a diffuse, artificially intelligent cloud of microscopic mirrors. Riding a silent beam of light, so beautifully put, they will absorb casualties. Autonomous networks will make split second triosh decisions, and they will synthesize an eye larger than our world to stare down the dark of a red dwarf star.
Speaker 2: It completely reframes our place in the technological timeline. We were the generation that possesses the theoretical capability to look back at the stars up close. But I want to leave you with a thought that flips this entire architecture on its head. We've discussed the colossal engineering required to build a gigawatt laser array here on Earth. That beam, focused tightly enough to push a swarm of sales across four light years would be incredibly.
Speaker 3: Bright, Oh incredible.
Speaker 2: It would punch right through the interstellar medium. If you stood on a planet fifty light years away and looked in our direction while the beamer was firing, you would see a distinct, artificial and blindingly powerful flash of light.
Speaker 3: The laser itself becomes an unmistakable techno signature, visible across galactic distances.
Speaker 2: Exactly so, if we can do it and the physics are universal, the timeline s as someone else out there could have already done it. Astronomers regularly catalog transient luminous events, these strange, unexplained, incredibly powerful flashes of light in the deep night sky that don't perfectly match the profile of supernovas or pulsars.
Speaker 3: That is a fascinating point.
Speaker 2: It really makes you wonder the next time you look up at a clear night sky and see a sudden, brief flare of light from a distant star system, you have to ask, are we watching a natural stellar phenomenon, or are we seeing the exhaust beam of another civilization firing up their own gigwatt lea's or array and launching their own swarm of corgels out into the dark