Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today, we're diving into Microsoft Defender for Cloud. Think of it as this like central security hub. It watches over your Azure stuff, sure, but also your on premises gear and even other clouds aws, GCP, the whole lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it aims for that unified view exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We've gone through the Microsoft Defender for Cloud book by Uri Diogenes and Tom Janichek. These guys really know their stuff and cybersecurity and the Microsoft.
Speaker 2: World definitely credible sources.
Speaker 1: Our mission here is to pull out the really critical insights for you.
Speaker 2: Right, what does Defender for Cloud actually do, Why do you need it? And how does it help secure things today?
Speaker 1: In the book, it's written for lots of different people, right, security, ab in support, pros.
Speaker 2: Developers, engineers. Yeah, it's broad, so we're filtering it down to the essentials for you fast.
Speaker 1: Perfect. So let's just jump in the threat landscape. It's always shifting, isn't it. Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's not like the old attacks disappear, fishing, RDP, brute Force sister reports show they're still you know, very.
Speaker 1: Effective, still working.
Speaker 2: It's still working. But then you have this huge rise in sophistication especially with ransomware as a service ross Rise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds bad. It is.
Speaker 2: It's basically become this organized criminal business model. Developers create the ransomware, affiliates deploy it. It lowers the bar for attackers.
Speaker 1: So more attacks, maybe more targeted ones.
Speaker 2: Too, potentially. Yeah, And the book uses the Solar Winds attack as a big example.
Speaker 1: Right twenty twenty. That really puts supply chain attacks on the map.
Speaker 2: It really did injecting malicious code into trusted software. It showed how these advanced actors, maybe nation states can get deep persistent access very stuff. The book traces the kill chain. There recon compromise, staying hidden, moving laterally, and it makes you think, how can something like Defender for cloud spot this or break that chain?
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does it try to break that chain? Is there a framework it follows.
Speaker 2: Well, it aligns with the mid ATT and CK framework that gives a common language for tactics and techniques. Okay, So Defender uses that to structure its defenses and detections. And when you look at common threats, Microsoft's data points to RDP attacks still being a major gateway for ransomware. Still RDP well and verizons reports. Phishing is always up there, plus maybe surprisingly simple misconfigurations in the cloud, like leaving a storage bugget open exactly that kind of thing, which leads to what Microsoft calls cloud weaponization, attackers using your cloud resources against others.
Speaker 1: So you need to protect your stuff and make sure it's not being used maliciously.
Speaker 2: Precisely and beyond specific attacks. The book emphasizes core security areas for the cloud, like what compliance compliance Definitely, internal rules, external regulations, Risk management is key. Identity and access management that's huge. Now, identity is the new perimeter you.
Speaker 1: Know, heard that before makes sense.
Speaker 2: Then operational security monitoring, incident response, endpoint protections still fundamental.
Speaker 1: And data protection protecting data wherever it.
Speaker 2: Is right in use, in transit, at rest, and remembering even in the cloud, you are responsible for your data, especially any you keep on BREM.
Speaker 1: Shared responsibility, the shared responsibility model, Yeah, always important. Okay, let's zoom in on Azure itself. How is security built into the Azuro platform.
Speaker 2: Azure uses defense in depth layers. It starts with the physical security of the data.
Speaker 1: Centers, guards and gates basically cards and gates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then hardware, software security, strong identity controls, network security and security baked into the services.
Speaker 1: And for users managing Azure, controlling who does what seems critical.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's Azure Role based Access control or RBAC. It's all about least privilege, only give the permissions needed.
Speaker 1: Got it. And networking, we hear about.
Speaker 2: V nets Azure virtual networks. Yeah, think of a v net as your own private slice of the Azure network, logically isolated.
Speaker 1: Like your own land, but in the cloud kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You define your private eype space, deploy resources like vms into it, and to control traffic flow. That's Network Security Groups NSG.
Speaker 1: N SGZ. Okay, so those are the gatekeepers for network.
Speaker 2: Traffic exactly like stateful packet filters. You apply them to subnets or individual network interfaces.
Speaker 1: The book mentions using multiple v nets for segmentation. Why do that?
Speaker 2: It's a core security practice. Isolate workloads. Maybe put your web servers in one v net, databases in another. Stricter rules between them.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, create zones, right.
Speaker 2: And NSG rules are based on priority and that classic five couple.
Speaker 1: Source of destination IP, Source of destination Port protocol standard stuff, standard stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how you define what traffic is allowed or denied.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about big network attacks like VTOS does as your.
Speaker 2: Health there, Yes, Azure d'dos protection. There's a basic tier automatically on for infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Protection, so some protection by default some yes.
Speaker 2: But for more serious application level protection there's the standard tier. And what a standard AD it adds active traffic monitoring, mitigation, tune to your specific app, traffic alerts, metrics, cost protection, guarantees. It's much more comprehensive.
Speaker 1: Good to know their options. Switching gears a bit data encryption? How do we protect data on Azure discs?
Speaker 2: Azure disc Encryption or AD. It encrypts OS and data discs for VMS.
Speaker 1: Using what technology BitLocker.
Speaker 2: It uses BitLocker for Windows and dmcrypt for Linux. But there are dependencies like what well. Often it needs Azure AD for authentication, and it relies on azule key vault to securely store the encryption keys. The VM needs network access to those services too.
Speaker 1: So networking and identity play a role even in disc encryption.
Speaker 2: They do, and the book warns about batential conflicts with on prem group policies if they also manage. BitLocker needs planning.
Speaker 1: Right, not just a simple switch. Okay, for investigations, audits. Logging is everything. What logs does Azure provide crucial?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Azure has different log types. Think control plane versus data plane.
Speaker 1: Control plane is managing Azure resources, data plane is using them.
Speaker 2: You got it. Creating a VM is control plane. Reading data from a database is data plane.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The Azura activity log captures those control plane actions. Who did what when?
Speaker 1: Very important? Cracking changes, yeah.
Speaker 2: And diagnostic logs capture the data plane activity within a resource. The book gives a good example using the activity log to see who changed a defender for cloud.
Speaker 1: Setting practical okay. Containers are everywhere now Kubernetes aks. How does networking work there in Azure?
Speaker 2: Right? With Azure Kubernetes service AKS pods typically get IP addresses from your v net.
Speaker 1: So they can talk to other things on the network directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, other vnet resources, even on prem stuff via gateways. You can use nsgs on the underlying.
Speaker 1: Nodes vms running the containers right, But for.
Speaker 2: More granular control between pods. Kubernetes has network policies ah.
Speaker 1: So policy within Kubernetes itself exactly.
Speaker 2: The book mentions two AKS network models, kubernet and Azure CNI. CNI generally gives pods direct v net IPS and network policies are kind of the Kubernetes native way to segment traffic inside the cluster.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So NSG's for the infrastructure network policies for the pods.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, solid foundation on Azure security. Let's finally pivot fully to Microsoft Defender for Cloud itself. What is it in an ushell?
Speaker 2: Okay? So Defender for Cloud is positioned as this unified security management system and advance threat protection.
Speaker 1: Unified meaning across different environments.
Speaker 2: Exactly Azure on premises servers via Azure Arc, even AWS and GCP. It pulls it all together.
Speaker 1: What's the main benefit? Why use it?
Speaker 2: Visibility is huge seeing your security posture across everything. Then control enforcing policies. It gives recommendations to.
Speaker 1: Improve security like hardening advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actionable recommendations based on security benchmarks and critically threat detection using Microsoft's threat intelligence plus centralized policy management.
Speaker 1: So posture management and threat detection. The book mentioned a free tier and enhanced options.
Speaker 2: Right. The free tier gives you that foundational cloud security posture management CSPM policy assessment recommendations, Secure score.
Speaker 1: Cure score Okay, good baseline, very good baseline. The enhanced security options those are the Cloud Workload Protection Platform or CWPP features. That's where the advanced threat detection comes in for specific resources.
Speaker 2: And these enhanced options are broken down by workload. Yes, there are specific defender plans Defender for servers, Defender for storage, Defender for SQL, Defender for containers, key Vault, DNS, app service, Cosmos, dB, open relational Databases, resource manager, even DevOps.
Speaker 1: Now, wow, that's comprehensive, covering a lot of Azure services.
Speaker 2: It really is. And the book notes you get a thirty day free trial for these enhanced plans.
Speaker 1: Good way to test the waters. Yeah, so how does it actually collect all the info needed for assessments and threat detection?
Speaker 2: On Linux, it often uses the Audit framework collects Audit logs. The log Analytics agent sends that up even.
Speaker 1: If Audit isn't running as a service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can tap into the kernel module directly, which is clever. On Windows. Again, the lag analytics agent is key. It pulls security events, etw traces, process info, OS logs, lots of telemetry.
Speaker 1: So agents are pretty central to the data collection on servers.
Speaker 2: For the deep workload protection, Yes, the agent is usually involved.
Speaker 1: And who uses Defender for Cloud inside an organization? Seems like multiple teams would touch it definitely.
Speaker 2: The book calls out a few cloud security teams for the CSPM side, governance teams for policy enforcement makes sense, the SoC Security Operations Center. They consume the alerts, often piping them into a some like Microsoft Sentinel like Sentinel exactly. Yeah, and compliance teams use it to check against regulations.
Speaker 1: So it serves quite a few different roles. If an organization is just starting with it, what's the recommended path? Seems like a lot.
Speaker 2: The advice is usually start with visibility, enable that free tier everywhere, get.
Speaker 1: The secure score. See the initial recommendations right.
Speaker 2: Understand your baseline posture. Address the big red flags first. Then you start layering on the enhanced workload protection, the CWPP stuff for your critical assets HAZEDE.
Speaker 1: Approach, build the foundation, then add thread detection.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Don't try to boil the ocean on day one.
Speaker 1: The book mentioned at GitHub repo too. What's useful there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Defender for Cloud. GitHub Repo has some handy tools workbooks like a workbook to estimate the cost of Defender for storage based on your transaction volume community scripts too.
Speaker 1: Oh cost estimation. That's practical, helpful for planning definitely and sim integration. We mentioned Sentinel. That's a common pattern.
Speaker 2: Very common for mature security teams. Sending Defender alerts to Sentinel allows correlation with other security signals endpoint identity network for a much richer investigation context.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Connect the dots. What about vulnerability assessment? Does Defender do that itself?
Speaker 2: It integrates VA capable abilities, You've got choices. It bundles a Qualis scanner.
Speaker 1: Qualis okay, big name MVA right, or you.
Speaker 2: Can use Microsoft's own Threat Vulnerability Management TVM.
Speaker 1: What's the difference there?
Speaker 2: Well, the built in Qualist scanner uses an agent or extension. TVM is actually part of Microsoft Defender for endpoint, So if you're using MD, TVM is essentially agentless from a Defender.
Speaker 1: For cloud perspective, ah leverage is the existing MD sensor.
Speaker 2: Correct. You can also bring your own Qualis license if you already have one. The results from either Qualities or TVM show up as recommendations right inside Defender for cloud flexible options.
Speaker 1: Then what about larger organizations with many Azure subscriptions, how do they manage Defender consistently? Good question.
Speaker 2: Defender is enabled per subscription, but as your management groups.
Speaker 1: Are key here. Management groups let you group subscriptions.
Speaker 2: Right and you can apply as your policy including policies that enable Defender plans at the management group level that enforces consuncy across all the subs underneath it.
Speaker 1: Centralized control is essential for scale absolutely so final planning stage setting up Azure with Defender in mind, what are the key prerequisites or considerations?
Speaker 2: Well, remember it's subscription based coverage for supported resources and for servers. Getting that log analytics agent deployed is fundamental for the deeper insights and the guest configuration extension too for certain policy checks.
Speaker 1: How do you get those agents out reliably manually?
Speaker 2: You can, but Defender has auto provisioning features. You can configure it to automatically deploy the log Analytics agent to Azure VMS and Azure ARC enabled servers, ARC.
Speaker 1: Enabled so on prem and other clouds too.
Speaker 2: Oh, exactly same for the components needed for Defender for containers on AKS and ARC enabled kubernates. You can choose default or custom log analytics workspaces for the data.
Speaker 1: And there are Azure policies to help enforce this.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are built in policies you can assign to ensure auto provisioning is turned on where you want. It helps maintain coverage.
Speaker 1: Automation is your friends there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And onboarding AWS or GCP. How does that work?
Speaker 2: There are connectors. You set up a connection to your AWS account or GCP project within Defender for Cloud okay. Once connected, you can deploy the necessary agents or configurations, often using Azure arc again and then enable the Defender plans like Defender for Servers on those non Azure machines.
Speaker 1: Truly multi cloud. Then one last thing, the Azure Security Benchmark. What is that role?
Speaker 2: The ASHER Security Benchmark is Microsoft's collection of security best practices for Azure. It's implemented as an Azure Policy initiative, a group of.
Speaker 1: Policies okay, a baseline standard pretty much.
Speaker 2: Defender for Cloud actually assigns this benchmark automatically to a subscription the first time you access the Defender.
Speaker 1: Portal for that sub Oh convenient.
Speaker 2: It is, but for full coverage, especially across many subs, or ensuring new ones get it manually Assigning it at a management group level is often recommended. It ensures that baseline is applied everywhere.
Speaker 1: Got it establishes that foundational security posture. Wow, Okay, we've definitely covered a lot.
Speaker 2: Of ground here, we really have. I think the key takeaway is that Defender for Cloud provides this really comprehensive, layered security approach. It spans different.
Speaker 1: Environments hybrid, multi cloud, right.
Speaker 2: And it gives you insights all the way from high level threat intelligence down to specific configuration recommendations, proactive posture management, and.
Speaker 1: Hopefully for you listening, this deep dive gives you that solid foundation understanding what Defender for Cloud offers, how it can boost your security without drowning in every single feature immediately exactly.
Speaker 2: And it leads to that thinking point, doesn't it? With threats getting smarter, environments getting more complex, how do you really weave a tool like Defender for Cloud into your existing security strategy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How do you make it work seamlessly with what you already have?
Speaker 2: To achieve that truly resilient posture, It probably means digging into the specific Defender plans that matter most for your workloads, your risks.
Speaker 1: Definitely requires ongoing effort. Cloud security isn't static.
Speaker 2: Not at all, constant evolution. Staying informed is key.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll be back with more deep dines into cloud security topics, maybe even drilling down into some specific defender plans in the future. For now, thanks for tuning in.