Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jagan zal Son, Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services. I'm sure your most prized possessions Kati z R, TUCSA and iHeartRadio Station The Good Afternoon.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Jagan Zaus and with us today we have a couple of people one a Friday guy in one and we have Lauren who may or may not stick with us.
Speaker 3: How an inn Yeah, it just depends on how you handle this today.
Speaker 2: This is like a warning label for your dad. Your parents need says be advised. Whatever that say.
Speaker 3: It's ten o'clock, you know, three o'clock. You know where your children are?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who they're learning? Laura, Welcome, Welcome to the shore. I hope you got your non COVID, but your your vaccine for entering the building.
Speaker 3: Next week, it's time to get out of here, Steve. Next week we'll be in our new studio on Tuesday, new studio, new phone system. Knew everything, Yes, and hopefully it sounds better, certainly gonna look better, right, and we'll know who calls us, and we're gonna know when you're calling usence, we're gonna know. We're gonna have your number, and if we don't like you, we're not gonna answer your call.
Speaker 2: That's Jay not to me.
Speaker 3: Right afternoon, We got to get out of here.
Speaker 2: What'd you tell me? The line was last week or yesterday on Arizona?
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty four and a half thirty five it's dropped at thirty five, thirty five points. Somebody foolish has been a lot of money. I might have to get up on that.
Speaker 2: Thirty five points. I don't know what happened or what Vegas knows, but thirty five points. I remember a ten point drop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, I mean there were a couple of a couple of games from last week that you know, there was a you know, there was a lines went up in the summer, right, so then they kind of changed over time. But ten points is a lot. I wonder what the hell right that's all about?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And I thought it was twenty well I heard it was twenty eight, So it's a lot more than we thought. I assume you're gonna be covering game one, yes again. How was your first experience.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was definitely different because I'm used to being a fan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, let's go there to let's go.
Speaker 5: The chair, and it was it was hard to hold it back. It was fine, it was fun.
Speaker 2: You'll get over.
Speaker 3: You didn't chair in the press box or anything, did.
Speaker 2: You No, No, there was. There was a lot of BS talking notes in the press. Did you get that too? What I mean, the usual BS talking, you know, the reporters talk too much and loud about stupid stuff. I'm sure you got that too, right, It's like, you know, no, WA's the game.
Speaker 5: It was cool to see all the fans filed in like it was cool to see the progression of the stadium actually getting filled.
Speaker 3: Tell me you're not the grumpy dad in the press box.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't say kids shut the hell because because that they have the police for that. But but that was your first chair, right, the first And it wasn't that bad as like in the past. But you could.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do remember that the press box was generally deadly silent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, n not anymore anymore, not as much. What are they talking about fantasy games? Life less?
Speaker 3: You know, not even the game.
Speaker 2: Not really not really, it's like, you know, stupid stuff. That's why you kind of kind of they have to tell them a time or two. They didn't do it over this last weekend where you know this, Remember this is a work box, you know, but it's other stuff. You know what I did, my laundry shut up, So so you know, I just kind of listened and say, please say something.
Speaker 3: About this love.
Speaker 2: No, what is true? I mean, come out? Am I joking?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No, I mean I ended up talking about how Nick Saban did on game day that morning.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but that's what you kind of football related. You're in the front, but a lot of the conversations are in the front, if you know what I mean. But you know, it'll it'll get better. You'll see. I'm not going to cover this game this week. I'm gonna be a fan for the first time in forever. I'm gonna go a fan game.
Speaker 3: No, No, I have to do the show, to do the pre game show. So I'm ready for anytime you're done, we all out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you'll be done. Oh yeah, so there's that. How many people you think the game? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I bet forty five and change more than the last week. Yes, really, because I think there were a lot of you know, labor Day weekend last week. I think probably kept a lot of people out.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Don't you think last games performance may keep some out?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think the performance will. I think the fact that it's in a you might, okay, which is why I don't think it'll go to forty eight, But I think I think forty five and change.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think it's gonna be lower.
Speaker 3: I've given over under of like forty five four hundred, and it's gonna be hot. It could be hot, but it's always hot. Steve, you know, well, what's the worst? What's the crypto knight of this town? The kryptonite is anything. It can be hot, it could be late, early, it could be cold, it could be raining. Wellple night. Yeah, there's a lot of that, you know. I mean like when it rained last week, you know, during the tail gate, I thought, okay, they just probably lost a thousand fans.
Speaker 2: It was good, it was a good thing.
Speaker 3: It was a good thing. It was nice and cool. But there are probably I know, maybe a couple of hundred fans that said, oh it's raining, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going Mildred, we can't go out this.
Speaker 3: It's rain and I'm not gonna go. They don't know how to drive. Yeah, I'm just gonna watch it. Here beers are three bus The seats are gonna be wet. I'm not going.
Speaker 2: That's right. Uh. Their fans don't say that you're generalizing.
Speaker 3: I am generalizing. Okay, I hate the bad fans.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's right.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Them, Yeah, there are. We'll see, we'll see if it gets better.
Speaker 3: I still think it gets to forty five.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, that's good. I think this that's a good number because you know, any use an a U and.
Speaker 3: But you gotta remember too, any U fan, you know, there's a lot of Tucson and you know Arizona kids, you know play for an AU. There fans might you know, they'll come. I bet you get to forty five. Okay, we'll see. Uh, we'll see what happens. We're gonna have so many chimneys that our tail. Gay. Oh there you go, you gasped.
Speaker 5: I'm hungry right now.
Speaker 2: There's your chance. There's your chance.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, you had a mountain of fried chicken last week?
Speaker 2: Did you you left leftovers?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I took some home and then my sister came over and stole it.
Speaker 2: Did you did you Did you have a chance to listen to the show? No?
Speaker 3: Your show?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: No, the yesterday's press conference with Brendan.
Speaker 3: No, I still didn't.
Speaker 6: So no.
Speaker 3: Bringing the knowledge to the show against what what's he going to say?
Speaker 2: No, I don't going to say.
Speaker 3: What's he gonna say? You know, look, the defense has got to get better, you know, you gotta spread the ball around. And he used a really good team, which I always say, uh, we got you know, we got to play better. We gotta take steps forward. There there's the press conference right there Therese you're you're a sad reporter if you're tell me that's not the press and you're yeah, that's you're right, you right?
Speaker 2: What else could he say? And pick up that pick up?
Speaker 3: You know, justin spears story tomorrow and Mike left today and that'll be exactly what's in there. And you know they're gonna talk about t Mac and he's a he's a great player, one of the best players in the country.
Speaker 2: YadA YadA, YadA, improvement and wanted and yeah, got.
Speaker 3: To make improvement. You know, we gotta gotta get you know, get some things in order because we've got a big game against Kansas State next week.
Speaker 2: Right, right, and that's gonna be a key to Kansas State place too. Lane. This weekend was more about them, and that's a Friday night game, so Friday night, so they have an extra day to prepare, right, So we'll be we'll be busy that Friday at the New Spot talking about that game that night. Right, And is it a be busy Friday, you'll be here, right, yeah, I'm sure you're geting cover it online or on on TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, our show, and right is the game is about to kick off. Last time that happened, it was a bad, very bad thing for what happened. I remember it, seventy to.
Speaker 2: Seven, seventy seven. You were the game.
Speaker 3: The game started right when we ended the show, and by the time I got home, it was all hell in a hand basket. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he lost a coach, which was a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, okay, let's let's talk about today's show Friday. Welcome to Friday. We'll talk about the game on for tomorrow, but first we'll talk to Mike Fader, our friend Mike Vader, right, who will talk about the Mexican Piesta.
Speaker 3: Baseball fester coming up in a month, getting prepped for that. Arizona will be playing in it, so it should be fun. And again we'll remind everybody about all the cool things go on.
Speaker 2: For that event, right, and then we're gonna have your guy, what's today? Newman?
Speaker 3: Eric Newman. He's the sports editor for the airs on the Daily Sun, which is the daily paper up in Flagstaff. We had him on the show before the NAU game last year, and so we're gonna have him on again today. We'll just let him talk to us about ANAU. They blasted a team from some small college and in California. We'll see if they leaned anything from that. You know, Arizona is a better team than they were last year, so we'll see. We'll see what they're thinking. I'm sure they're not thinking that they're going to come in here and beat Arizona, but certainly, you know, I want to find out what kind of a team are they? Right? Are they going to sling the ball all over the field? Can they run the ball? Who they got? So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, the last time or lasting memory I have ANYU was some kid or two. Well, no, coach. I think it was getting in the elevator in the press conference press room. We own Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get out of here. You owned it for like five minutes.
Speaker 2: For like five minutes. Yeah, in the next game, and remind me how you felt after that game.
Speaker 3: I was pissed. I was pissed. I was pissed, and I'd come to the realization that things were one hundred times worse than that we thought they were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that should never happen under any congression. You can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we should be able to get eleven guys in this building and beat.
Speaker 2: ANAU and you're gonna put on a helmet.
Speaker 3: Yeah you could, Yeah, exactly, you know we could get Yeah, you know, so that never should have happened. It's it's still embarrassing that it did, because because in the modern era, Arizona can't be losing to NAU, right, I mean maybe they think maybe they did sixty years ago, when you know, there were you know, fourteen guys, you know playing football for Arizona and there were eleven in NAU and they would play and you'd play you know, East New Mexico Teachers College, and you know, they would beat you yeah, but today, in today's you know, college football, that never should have happened under any service. Well he came out of that, okay, and that was Washington.
Speaker 2: Were you there? You had to be there? Yeah, you were a student high school? Is that your first year?
Speaker 5: Was my freshman year?
Speaker 2: And what did you think?
Speaker 3: Did you kill anybody?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: Did you want to kill anybody?
Speaker 2: Did you cry?
Speaker 3: I wasn't surprised, you weren't surprised if they lost.
Speaker 5: I didn't think we were in a place to be nau. We were still that very much on the totem pole, really low.
Speaker 3: I know the totem pole, the tone pole is underground, but I mean, there's no way you should be losing.
Speaker 5: Any at that point. We didn't even have u our starting quarterback figured out. We were figuring out that game.
Speaker 3: I know, but you should have been able to come out of the seats and play quarterback that night and win that game.
Speaker 2: I wanted to you could have.
Speaker 5: I tried yelling it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would have put you in.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: Cruise was the guy, right, was that Cruise?
Speaker 3: Well they used they used Cruise and Plumber in that game. Jordan McLeod, he came in at the end of that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, because he was a UCLA he was the head guy at UCLA by that time, right that year, he was the bing guy. Eventually, McLoud, well he did until you heard, right, but they had already gone through the two and then McLoud Yeah, yeah, Well here you are have a quarterback and they have a receiver, and they have a lot more brew players, better players.
Speaker 3: I like the over under in that that's sixty one and a half.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good number.
Speaker 3: That's a good number. I mean you figure, well, look if Arizona puts up fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty nine seven touchdown seven touchdown?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or you know, I think that's a I think that's a reasonable and I'm sid sixty even with sixty one good luck because you said fourteen, you'd give fourteen? Yeah? Say, and he scores a couple of touchdowns were you know, we're gonna talk to Eric Newman. He's gonna tell us if any you can score a couple of touchdowns, and if they can, I'm taking the over.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you. I'll bet you right now that he says, yes, they'll score at least fourteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, just in which case farzeone scores fifty you cover, Yeah, forty nine.
Speaker 2: That's very likely, revery likely. Okay, we'll talk about that when he comes on the show. We'll talk to Mike here in about ten five minutes or so. And anything else going on to the clearing house. Uh, you have breaking news, right anything going.
Speaker 5: To some good stuff, some NFL extensions and contracts. Okay, getting ready for week one. There was a good game last night.
Speaker 3: What about that game last night? Do see my thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw your thing.
Speaker 3: I hear I hear him by that much of a toe by toe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good game.
Speaker 3: After after my head exploded thinking that they had scored the touchdown because it would have been a push on the point spread. The line was three. So if if the Chiefs win by three, which often happens, then over time, you know, I lose that. You know, I had the over that was that was done. So I my head exploded when they when they hit that pass and I thought, I thought I'd lost it. And then I immediately saw in the replay I thought his toes.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, right right away. You could tell that. Do you think that? I think all the talk today was that Baltimore got screwed officiating wise. Oh, a lot of the personal.
Speaker 3: Well, they kept doing their own stupid stuff. They have kept having guys lining up too far back, their tackles, kept lining up too far back. They got that called like four or five times, like okay, you get it called once. Baltimore, Yeah, Baltimore. Yeah, they're they're they're they're offensive linemen. They kept getting called for lining up in the backfield because they were they were sitting too far back. I don't know how many times that happened. I didn't see anything referee wise. It made me think somebody was getting hose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some some personal penalties. Number zero got them.
Speaker 3: Late hits they I don't even called. They crushed Patrick couple. They crushed Patrick Mahomes out of bounds and didn't call that. Did you see that one? I mean they said the guy when he touched him and was trying to hold up, No, he wasn't. He pushed him and he pushed him like four yards out of bounds and they don't call it. Though. I thought they were going to kill the refs on that one. So no, I didn't. I didn't see that. All I saw was that Knas City won by enough for me to cover and hit a Dube two lake parlay. So your comments are not biased, not at all. Sure, Sure, let's take a break and just get back here with my favor On the other side.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 9: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 8: Wood type and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock boulders, gravel, soil and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 10: Where do you buy exercise equickax Arizona.
Speaker 11: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goal. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 12: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 9: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volt Team dot com. That's volpe team dot com or call five two oh sixet eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A KO Ninez two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lindrixson Credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with unumbers.
Speaker 7: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle So for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie So for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fund hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards.
Speaker 13: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 2: That really insured.
Speaker 3: N CUA.
Speaker 4: Guide bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant into Son that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home Danny Roth at five to zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the excess at OH, It's Steve Rivera and Jaden Salvez. This is I Am the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wrying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jacobs Sauce. I'm now on the phone. We have Mike Vader from the Mexican Baseball Fiesta How you doing, Mike.
Speaker 6: God, how are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're doing okay. We figured you're a month away and we want to check in. How's it going. Are you kind of already hectic? Are you just kind of easing into this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 14: Not, And you know we've done this for twelve years, so I would say he is right. A lot of stuff to do there. It's more than me working on it.
Speaker 6: So we'll be fun.
Speaker 14: We've got we're working.
Speaker 6: On the games in Phoenix. You know the stadium at Camelback. I'm sure Jay is very familiar with the facility. Uh huh, and you know, so it's just it's just a matter of just getting things done. I mean, uh so, No, I feel good about where we are.
Speaker 2: You are you at the Grand Canyon? You're breaking up a little?
Speaker 6: I mean actually in my office behind in the back of my house is sometimes the signal. Right, So I'll try and talk closer.
Speaker 3: To the phone, but don't fall because we know you're still in that boot for your for your torn up achilles. Remind me how many where where are the games played? I know Tuson, you got Phoenix and then Vegas or is there any anything?
Speaker 6: No Vegas? So the weekend, the weekend before we are in the Phoenix area. Uh, and we're going to be the first day on Thursday. Let me get the date here for you. Uh, it's it's well, we're in Tucson October third or fifth and six, so it's one week before that. We're in Maryvale on this Thursday, which is a home of the Brewers. And then Friday's there Sunday were a camp Back Ranch?
Speaker 2: Is that by design or how does that work?
Speaker 6: Well? Not? We you know, we want quality facilities. We were at Slowm Park for a long time and it was just time to make a change. And we think, you know, we just thought how great the camp Back Ranch facility was. It's as the home of the Dodgers and White sax and and we just, you know, we we wanted to make the change. And the West Valley is fairly populated in the Sapanic community. Uh, And we just we just thought it was it was time to make the switch.
Speaker 2: Let me let me ask you, so is that atmosphere that I'm sure it's the same as Tucson, But is it a different vibe up there compared to here? How was it not?
Speaker 6: Not at all? It's it's it's the same people who love the Mexican Winter League. It's the same people who who's grandma and grandpa and mom and dad has lived in Mexico and went to games down there, so it virtually is the same. We you know, we've talked over the years about a group called Lobresa Labreca will be up there. Contacto Norte, another big band from Mexico will be up there. So now it's I I guess to give me a good example, the person who plays the music for the Animal Seal team is working the games in Phoenix and Tucson, so he creates the atmosphere. So it's it's it's the same.
Speaker 2: So after twelve years, does Mike Faders speak better Spanish than the Gazales in Rivera?
Speaker 6: That would be knowing you guys both have Hispanic names and I don't. So that's that's what partners are for, exactly exactly, and you know, and his son quite oddly, I mean, we we found over the years. Uh, most people are are acclimated that they could speak some English, so I never feel out of place at the if I do, I reached over to somebody five feet for me and get to help me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, so how big of a deal is it for you guys to get the U of A in this And I don't know we've ever even that. I know we always talk about the fact that they're in it, but how how meaningful is it to the event down here that you know that you get them to play in this thing? And and and for the same reason do you get I mean, I don't know. You don't get a SU to play up there?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 6: Well? Chip Ale actually said that that Derek Derek Coach was interested in doing it. We we just couldn't work it out this year. Okay, So I guess you guys know me well enough. Do you want me to give you an answer or political answer?
Speaker 3: Honest answer? We always went on his answers.
Speaker 6: Okay, So it does it? Is it one of the events that draws an enormous amount of people? Know it doesn't, but in my opinion, it really has credibility. Both of you have been to the fiesta and place yourself in high corbage field, uh and look around the fan base. Will tell me what it looks like.
Speaker 2: For these games, for these games, for the for you of A games for you again? Oh god, I haven't been there forever, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well where I sit is well the students, you know the answer where I said, is where the students sit, But you go sit underneath the you know, in the grandstand. It's all old people, correct, well.
Speaker 6: So the and I think they are a great crowds. So the U of A crowd is a lot of older people, the older Arizona Wildcats fans to go to High Corbett. The fiesta is a little maybe a little too much because of all the music in the sound. But I'm going to tell you right now, the people who follow the U of A casually love it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Chip Hale loves the event. Uh you know it's Ship. When I asked Chip if they want to come back the following year, I do it when I after the game, when I thank him, and he says, yeah, put me down. I mean it takes that long to make a decision. And he feels that it's a great incentive for his players to get used to rock his crowds and music and noise and and and he if anything, I told the story on the air with you guys before a few days before Ship blows the music out Hispanic Mexican music and the practice is played under those under those circumstances because he wants his players to get used to it. So he said, his players love it. So I do think it's it's good for us to have it because the U of A is such a great brand. Uh And and and they're very very helpful with us. I mean they do everything. They help promote it. You know Brett uh the s I d he'll do anything. I mean, he's the spring scheduled today and the theft that was mentioned prominently, and there's the first exhibition game that the Wildcats play. So it's it's just something that we love of the Arizona Wildcats.
Speaker 2: I would assume too, that benefits them because it's probably the best competition they'll see until the actual rigular season.
Speaker 6: Without rushing and think about this one. The two teams that played last year on the Thursday night were the Arizona Wildcast against the Airmo Ceo Non and Harrows. Right, both of them won their conference championships. Uh uh And we'll Ceo won the Mexican Winter League and went onto the Caribbean World Series. So I guess there might have been something lucky about being playing in the beginning of the fifth.
Speaker 3: Okay, I guess there's that, right, Yeah, yeah that Hey, you know you take all the good luck you can get, so no doubt, and you're you're.
Speaker 2: A baseful guy, so even quite athlete.
Speaker 6: This year, we've got a larger group of teams than we probably have had in a long time. We've added Jalisco, We've added Wave uh you know, and the typical one there will see over Go in Mexicali uh Alvahola. They're all returning. So we've got a great lineup of teams. So the only team that people ask for that's not here that might be in Phoenix this year is Coolia. Cooliacon is one of the name brands in the Mexican Winter League. Uh and and they actually have a really good following in the valley, more so than Touso because of geographics.
Speaker 2: So I think we've probably asked you this in the past. Of course, Uh, you covered the Triple A team or you're the GM with the Triple A team here forever. What level is this likened to.
Speaker 6: I think it's similar.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 6: Some people will tell you not as good. Others will tell you it's it's it's approaching you know. I I think you guys know him a big cub stant. Uh he's Scott Parades. That comes their baseman who's not hit worth a damn right now. Uh, you have played for Air Mustel last year in the last half of the season and in the Caribbean World City. Uh. So you've got players like that, you know, Uh Salazar sat Salazar, Yeah, Uh, you know he obviously played for the u of A. And and now is it a big leaguxact leave with Uston Astros. Uh so you have fringe guys. If you're a darting player in the big leagues and you're gonna play six months, you're you're not coming down here. Uh. You know, you gotta rest. But if you're a guy who's maybe not getting as much playing time, uh, then you might consider it. You know. The Cubs also have a pitcher who I'm trying to think with the glasses, you know what I mean. No, okay, I'll think of his name. But he pitched up the last two three years and and it really helped him and getting ready for the big league.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, that's and do you have I know you're really busy as you walk around and try to facilitate for the people that are there. Do you have a chance to watch you personally have a chance to watch baseball at all?
Speaker 6: No, not really. I I'm more interested in the music and the food and all the other things that are going on. My partner, Francisco Gamez, is the general manager of the Animal Sale team as well. Right now, he's watching every inning of every of every game. So as long as he's watching nets, I like, here about I do nothing that affects who plays in that in that yes, so I just I just want them to have a good game and enjoy themselves and hope that nobody gets hurt.
Speaker 3: All right, if I go to the game, or if anybody goes to the game, what specific food item are you recommending?
Speaker 6: I'm the worst answer to that question, and Steve knows why. I am the pickiest eater around. Okay, so I would never eat any of the Mexican food because you know, I got kind of the tender tummy and the spices would tear me up.
Speaker 3: Oh you big baby, Come on, you've been here like one hundred years.
Speaker 6: I would agree with you. I mean, Jay, you've been there. What do you eat when you come?
Speaker 3: Everything?
Speaker 6: Okay? Well, there's the answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jays tell me has never been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's why that's why I was asking you, because I'll eat everything, but you know, I'm looking for somebody who's got something specific. They say, Okay, this is the best thing over there.
Speaker 6: Now they I watched people, you know items in Mexico. They it's cruchy salta. They put salta on ships, and they put fruit and they put all kinds of stuff and they and they vented in the stands. People love it. I'm it's not one of the people of eating it.
Speaker 2: So like, let me ask you this. Give me the percentage because I would take a guess some probably be wrong, but maybe maybe not. You have a baseball game, you have a party. How many people go to see the baseball game, and how many people go see the party? Percentage wise, I would.
Speaker 6: Say forty thirty percent go to watch a baseball game. Wow, those are the loyal ones who know those teams from Mexico. And I would say on Saturday, that's higher because we get people traveling from Mexico uh to come to the games.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And so it's their team. I mean they want to see their team UH play and you know and and get ready for the start of their season. So, uh, it's important to them. I would say, if I were to ask you, guys, and you've been to games in and out, how many people could tell you the score of the game or who won when they leave the stadium, I would say it's not a great percentage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they probably the last score they knew was before their their first.
Speaker 6: Beer or whatever, well or third or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's a dance party, yes.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 6: And let's just say, uh, what is the prevailing concession item? That would be called something called surveys? Yes, by the way, the name the name are I was trying to think of.
Speaker 2: Is Javier Asad Alvira sad?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Is that a really good cup?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay? Anything else you want to add? Tickets available now or do you have to wait?
Speaker 6: Tickets go on sale in Tucson next Tuesday at nine o'clock. Ticket prices are the same they've been the last two years, twenty five dollars for box seats, twenty dollars or general mission kids under six to sixteen or ten dollars. Seniors are ten dollars. So it's it's affordably priced and they will not be on sale at the stadium till the Friday preceding our first game.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you you on the top of the head. You know these things at the park. How many people are able to go in there like to see, to sit and watch?
Speaker 6: What's the capacity when when Lebresa plays again, I'm not telling you that the best crowd is when Airmaltel plays Overgone. Uh, it's when this great band called Lobresa out out of Sonora. When they'll play, they'll have seven eight thousand people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, it's a standing room only top of the crowd.
Speaker 6: Well, that's it's close. I mean because we don't we don't necessarily see people in the in the Uh yeah, but we will never have a crowd of nine thousand or greater because in our configuration, he couldn't handle it comfortably. Yeah, but no, I mean for the Ammal seel Over game Overgone game on that Saturday every Saturday is traditional. It's a huge rivalry. We'll have five six thousand people.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, good luck with that this year. We'll talk to you more later about it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you checking in. Well maybe we before let's get a little more detail.
Speaker 2: Okay, so just real quick for tickets, the Google Mexican Baseball test. How do they find the tickets?
Speaker 6: Well, Google say Mexican Baseball yester dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's it.
Speaker 6: You go, okay, Elsie. And if for some reason you have relatives in the valley, they went on sale this week. So they're on sale right.
Speaker 3: Now online Phoenix. Okay, perfect, all right, Mike, thanks man, Thanks Mike, have a very weekend. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Let's take a break, come back and maybe we'll get some calls a lot of different things. Uh, are you done with your picks?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might do well this way. You might do well this way.
Speaker 3: I mean I've been look every week. I mean I'm listening reading stuff about games. If I have some games in mind, there's only one game that I'm set on, then I've got probably I'm curious about that, probably about eight games that I'm looking at. So I just got to decide I gotta pull I gotta pull the trigger on these games.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about your one game that you liked last week, how that went, you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, we're very back.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona Men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 10: Hi, this is former Wildcat Lemanhunely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home gm can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 12: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PMA dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio Whip. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteenth fifth Day.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Ribera, He's Jagan Zau's got one with us today, got Laura in the house. We got fourteen minutes. We want to call five two zero four one six seventy four forty. We'd like to hear from you, maybe your thoughts on the weekend game. Are you gonna go? Is it too hot?
Speaker 6: Is it this or that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it is gonna be really hot. Be prepared for that, you know. I mean we got lucky last week because you know, when it rained and the rain ended. Normally it rains like that and it becomes like a sauna, and it didn't do that. It was a little breeze. It was nice and cool. It was actually pleasant the whole night on Saturday. This time is supposed to be dang hot. But you know, again, either you're a fan or you're not, so just go and shut the hell.
Speaker 2: Up and go right you you by the way you you students you were were you a student?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: You worked?
Speaker 2: Uh that's the best they that's the best they've been in a long ting time.
Speaker 5: I was actually talking about it with the people up there. I said it was I think it was about an hour before kickoff and it was pretty much full. Ye said, they doesn't get this way until about five minutes into the game, right, And they stayed.
Speaker 2: And that's what it pressed me the most. They stayed still the whole thing, and it was they didn't need to because there was a blowout, which you know, neither here nor there, but they stayed.
Speaker 5: I think it was the fact that it was and mcmaillan they were putting on a show.
Speaker 2: So well, there's that and that could be a good thing. I mean that, yeah, maybe, and maybe that is it.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's a part of it is that you know, it's worth sticking around to see what they do, because you know, they were doing stuff till the very end. I thought, I you know, kind of what you know, going away from the subject, I thought Fefitita stayed in a little longer than I expect. I thought that that, uh, maybe five minutes left, maybe the second to last possession they got it put in the backup quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Did they score on that second to last they did? I can't remember that. In the last one, they didn't sixty one. I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Run. It was a long run. Yeah, so he was not gonna be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean they didn't throw they ran the ball more. They didn't throw the ball as much. But I still thought, you know, I was a little surprised when Faffita came in for the last series that he came in for. That's fine. You know, they were trying to cover. They were in striking distance. Yeah, so they gave up that last score by you know, in New Mexico. At that last score, they had a chance to cover.
Speaker 2: The fumble fumble fumble.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, see, I'm going perfect this week. I've got my picks.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna throw it out.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna throw it out for everybody. You want to be here for the last segment of the show, because you're gonna get five winners.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to some history here. When was the last time that happened.
Speaker 3: That I had a perfect I know I didn't have one last year the year before.
Speaker 2: Okay, last year you didn't come close.
Speaker 3: I know I didn't come close.
Speaker 2: I had three I think did you have three?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: So we'll see, we'll see. Come on, you gotta catch me now. I got I. I hope we don't have the same one.
Speaker 3: I'm good this week. I'm really good this week. I got this.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you, because I know his his answer to this, and I'll ask quiet, So do you listen to other sports talk shows?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, good, okay, No, never mind, it doesn't apply because Jay, he's the guy who studies too much.
Speaker 3: I don't study too much.
Speaker 2: They just hear things. He hears too many things, so that kind of sways him too how he thinks about the game. And I'm all for that because he gets good information, but he then he processes it and then he screws it up.
Speaker 3: This analysis.
Speaker 2: But that's that's what I love about you, because you you, especially for this contest, you listen to a lot of people and then you kind of well, this guy said and this, that doesn't that doesn't mean anything. Who the Stephen again?
Speaker 3: And again, I don't. I don't pick my games based on what other people pick. I picked my games based on information that I get from other people, and I process that myself. So just because wait to know, Stanford Steve or whoever picks a game X, that doesn't mean I take the game because he picked that. But if he gets I get some information that I don't have, I use that.
Speaker 2: So two years ago, when you stay close to me and beaten by half a point for you were taking Stafford Steeves or whoever the.
Speaker 3: Group again, you're taking it wrong. I was listening to those guys because I was getting information from those guys. But I wasn't picking games just because they picked that game. I was getting information from them. That's what I do.
Speaker 2: We have still have our your tapes on the We're gonna to go and review those. I'm gonna need the evidence. Well, I'm with it with it. How you pick your game, that's it.
Speaker 3: I get information then I then I use it. I interpret it myself. Just because Stanford Steve and they may like Chris Filica the bear he gets. Stanford Steve had that show together and I would listen that to religiously, but because Chris Filika would come up with trends and stats that I thought were useful. They are and they are, and he and Chris Filica still does, but he does it for Fox now, and he doesn't do it now. He does it in the weekend, right, yeah, on the weekend, So you can't, you can't, right, right, right? So yeah, I'm on Saturday. I'm going crap. I didn't know that, and they didn't know that. I didn't know that. I didn't know that. I wish i'd known that, Okay, But I do listen to others, and I read a lot of stuff on social media, all these a lot of these you know, betting sites who put their experts on and stuff like that. So I just get information and and then I decide on my own. Now, this week, I'm telling you that I'm just going with some some teams that I've got sort of a gut feeling you're playing that way? Yeah, yeah, you know, I'm trying real hard, real hard to not overreact to what we saw last.
Speaker 2: Week, right, And that happens a lot, and that's another week.
Speaker 3: Two Is the time for that?
Speaker 14: Is?
Speaker 3: Okay, you saw one game the previous week, that's how it's going to be the rest of your year.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not sure that in that case. For Arizona, I kind of wish that they were playing somebody like Kansas State because you improve some of the most in the first to second game, right, and it's second to third because that will happen.
Speaker 3: And we're really not going to know how much Arizona improves after they play in.
Speaker 2: AU, even even when they played Kansas State, because they played these two teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so we'll see. Yeah, So I'm looking you know, you got me all wrong.
Speaker 2: Now now I'm just looking forward to your picks.
Speaker 3: You got me all wrong. I got five good ones.
Speaker 2: I hope they're not much.
Speaker 3: I didn't feel good about my picks last week.
Speaker 2: You you were, you were here. Wasn't he gung ho on those picks?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 5: I was a gun ho?
Speaker 3: But like, well, I thought they were good picks, but I didn't feel like, you know, I'm going five for five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't see it the way I do right now. Last week, you don't see the fire.
Speaker 4: This week you do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, I got this this week. Are you here Friday next week?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll talk about it. I got this, man, Okay, No, that's cool. That's why we got to pick some pro games this week. I have those, I have them written down. I should move on sheet on other side, so you don't look at.
Speaker 3: We have to pick the Lions Rams game. Yeah, that's the one I'm fired up about this, Steve. I'm going I'm going yard.
Speaker 2: Okay, should we change the subject until next hour, next home? Okay, anything else, but we have to have six minutes. Would you want to call five two o four one, six, seventy four forty we'd like to hear from you. Anybody out there that micre, anybody.
Speaker 3: That car on Umbrassic game though, that's one of the best games of the day. Yeah, I'm really looking for to that. The rivalry, you know, there there was stuff. You know, there was a lot of talk before last year's game. This year, the kind of all talking nicey nicy about each other, and I respect him and you know all that.
Speaker 2: Did you read the course heat today or a good good He kind of just kind of touched the surface of him.
Speaker 3: Well just basically, Dion, quit being a big baby. You're you're you're like the.
Speaker 2: Man you should be used to it by now. You're the guy.
Speaker 3: You're the Hall of Famer, like what we've been saying, You're the Hall of Famer. You're the guy's got nothing to prove why are you being such a big baby?
Speaker 2: You know what? What is the matter to you?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: What people think?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's you know, you're he's supposed to be the grown up in the room and instead he's a spoiled little kid. Went and told mommy and daddy what their people are doing.
Speaker 2: Well, you just said that, and that hit me. He's the dult in the room. He's the advisor or the mentor for the kids. Right, but what's he what's the advises kids.
Speaker 3: Whining to mom and dad?
Speaker 2: You know who?
Speaker 3: Study director? Will you send out a news tell those people not to talk bad about me?
Speaker 2: And here's the second thing. Here's the second thing because we talked about this maybe a little when when Colorado defended him on not talking to the reporter. Uh, why would why would the school get I know why they would get behind him? But don't don't go there.
Speaker 3: Why I bet there, I bet because he told them or else to do that or else or else. I'm out of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this will be it. This will be it.
Speaker 3: If you don't if you don't back me, if you don't have my back, I'm leaving. Yeah, or not not saying it that way, but basically saying, you guys need to have my back, and they interpreted that to be sure, Okay, we better have his back or he's gonna leave after this year because everybody thinks he is anyways.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but it's the whole thing, though, Steve of there's nothing for him to have to do or say yeah to say he's great. People think he's great. They think he's great as a coach, they thought he was great as a player. There's nothing that they that they should have that he should have to be thinking about as far as that. Yet he's sitting there and whining like a big baby.
Speaker 2: So next the next time they played Colorado, which is maybe a month or so, whatever, we'll have Brian Howins, how many people do you think the fan base of Colorado who likes him and doesn't like him because you know, there's the nut.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna say ninety five percent of the fans like it because they're saying he may be a butt heead, but he's our butt head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ninety five. I think that's maybe for me, maybe eighty eighty five.
Speaker 3: But I seve, if you're a Colorado fan and you see what he's done for the program. How do you not like?
Speaker 2: Well, because you can kind of be like us and see through the b but we're down here on Arizona. Yeah, but I still think that.
Speaker 3: There's well that's not that's to me, that's five percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay. I mean there's some people, you know, and there's some.
Speaker 3: People who absolutely all their entire lives hated the Cowboys and the Niners and all the teams he played for, and so they still I hate.
Speaker 2: Sure, they're pissing, including those on my list. I'm a fifteen, but I.
Speaker 3: Think I'm going to say, well into the nineties that people like what he's doing, support what he's doing. They're mad at the media.
Speaker 2: Well, the best thing they happened in Colorado was deone centers. Yeah, whether whether they like it or they do not like it, right, and they knew what they were getting into, probably because of the surgeon and all this stuff. But how long and you probably that it's not It's gonna be two or three years and then goodbye.
Speaker 3: Again. I shouldn't be this way, but I'm a I'm a I don't know what the right word it is. I'm not bitter I'm just I'm I'm a hater. I'm a hater, and I just gets the living crapped out of them this week, just to shut him up for no other reason, just shut him up for a week.
Speaker 2: It'll be, that'll be if that's happens, it'll be the start of the demise of the season. You could be, because did you see that either one and eight versus really good teams or a better team? Yeah, or go decent team?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, Well well they went, they went three and oh and then they would one game.
Speaker 2: That game they had Stanford on the ropes and they couldn't put that away. And that was when it all started, all that stuff. So I'm just.
Speaker 3: Again, I get upset with people who have everything and then they still go find something to complain about. That's that's I guess. That's what bothers me about him. He's got the he's got the world at his feet, and yet he's looking for stuff to be a big baby about, and he is, and that that bothers me. I I've never really disliked him. I didn't kind of like a lot of his flashiness. And you know, I'll look at me, look at me, look at me. Stuff throughout his pro career, but I didn't dislike him, and then I didn't even dislike him that much last year, but almost since the off seat, you know, because he got he got shown how hard this is. Yeah, you know, over the course of the season, and I thought, uh, for the most part, he was pretty humble about it. Yeah, but then you know, then this off season and all this stuff, and then now you know, the a writer write some stuff about you that you don't like. So you're you demand at your school that your entire athletic program banned the guy and not let him ask questions.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, well he not let him ask. He asked questions, but they don't have to answer.
Speaker 3: Or no, they said they're not taking questions. That's what I'm saying. He can still ask questions, but then they're not gonna they're not going to take they're not even they're not gonna even let him ask a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's come back talk to horror.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll fired out, Steve.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm here for. One your next it's a Friday, Steve.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get out of here, like with my head explode.
Speaker 2: Feed to him some nachos, that we'll be falling all right,