Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to side Quest. This is our video game show here at geek Verse. I'm your host, Del Musina. With me the Joy of CON's Taylor Field. How are you doing, my friend doing good? Happy to be here, Happy to be here? Post Nintendo Switch launch, it's yeah. Today, you know, we have kind of two episodes released in the same day and thought might maybe better just split them into separate episodes. You're kind of getting two shorter episodes. Presumably right now, we're gonna talk about our switch to first impressions, as we both got our consoles last Thursday, last Friday, so we've had a few days now to mess around with this little device here or big device, spend on your perspective. Also, same day, you're probably gonna get the Xbox showcase breakdown. We're gonna record that after this last week was you know, very chaotic. We had Summer Game Fest episode, we had a State of Play episode. Before that, we had the Prediction So I don't know, my Predictions episode might be out of date already, you know, because all these things have happened at this point. But yeah, it's in a flurry, just spamming episodes at you and so thank you everyon for bearing with us. Next week we'll be back on the regular just once a week. You don't have to worry too much about your feeds. But you know, just very very quickly, I'll show our Patreon producers here and Bradon Aprile of Darkness, Jack Grant, Sam Superbread, Mic tgg Olm six Nigeriam Renner, Charlie Rendell and Cocktail Clay because you know, with all these episodes, that means there's a lot of ads. And if you're a Patreon producer, isn't this crazy tailor? You can just parry ads? Isn't that crazy? Just like a soul's game, you can just parry ads away. So that's the best place to go to go to patroon to get episodes early and ad free, especially with all this stuff you don't want to listen to with lousy ads that I'll add two hours to your day. So yea, go check that out. Support us. Always make sure to join the discord because uh yeah, we're always talking about these showcases live as they happen, which is fun. And I gotta say, no one else in our discord server has been talking about switch to I don't know if any of our listeners bought this bad boy or we're able to get their hands on one, So I don't know, we'll see if anyone is playing there is let us know what you're thinking of it's over. It's just been I'm surprisingly quiet for a console launch. But speaking of a console launch, yeah, the switch to is out. Thank you Taylor so much for you know, being the the Aprahaine you you you were able to get me a switch to. I don't know what I was trying to word it there through your Amazon account you got one as well. We both have them. Now just give me like, how are you feeling? Are you like this is obviously a weird week and never we've I don't think we've ever had a console launch during like all the E three you know, fake E three weekends, So it feels like it's drowned out a little bit of the noise of a new console launch. But how are you feeling? Are you hyped? Are you kind of just made you low? Where are you at right now in terms of you know, your console new console excitement?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty hyped.
Speaker 3: I am, and I mean I'm enjoying it and the excitement is there, the excitement could be a little bit higher if I had more new games, I guess for it, and that because I don't. I mean, I'm not a big Donkey Kong kind of guy myself. I know other people are, but it's not. And again that's next month too, So for now it's Mario Kart and that's been that's been great.
Speaker 2: I've I've been having a blast with it.
Speaker 3: So the excitement's been been there, and especially when you're in line then midnight launch kind of deal, and you know that that's got some hype to it too, and get the console and you get up to the front, it's like, oh, you see all the other accessories they've dropped out, like other controllers and all that kind of stuff. So yeah, there's lots of there's lots of little moments of nostalgia where it's like, oh, this is what it was like back ten years ago when I was in high school going to a console launch or a video game midnight launch or something like that. So there's lots of excitement to be had, and so experiencing those were definitely really really wonderful. And having the console and just seeing it in all its glory and setting it up and that in itself is a joy and it's exciting and.
Speaker 1: Just and the music that plays like when you're like you know, setting up your internet, doing your transfer. You know, classic Nintendo, like all their stuff, like you know, whether there's the we like shop channel or like all the Wei music in general, just their console themes and whatnot. I feel like that music was really groovy, h when you're just like doing the most boring stuff ever of like oh I kinda put in what is my WiFi password? Again? Like put in all this stuff. But yeah, they it feels like an experience, which I feel like I got a lot of tech. Does that you know when I recently, I guess last year, got like a newer car. Whenever I turn my car on, it does like a just makes like a noise. Like I feel like tech they're just trying to make things feel like experiences, and I think they definitely tried to make it feel like that when you're getting this new console, because you know, the UIs like the exact same as the Switch ones, I feel like, where can we add other fanfare? And they did that through like some fun sound effects and things like that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think for me, I'm like pretty low. This is probably the least hype I've ever been on a console launch, and I think it's basically what you said of just like you know, the games like Mario Kart, Like I had no issues with Maro craaid, I would still play that game up up until recently. And so to get new Mariro Kart is fun, and we'll talk about that a little bit. And I've only I haven't played a ton of it, maybe like two or three hours. I also haven't had anyone to play with over the weekends. I just been like single player Marocart, which of course is not going to be the same highs as playing with friends and whatnot. But yeah, I think, you know, going into the console, I kind of expected this. This is almost exactly the hype of like I was expecting, where this very much feels like a sequel console. Obviously, it has that name in it, which Nintendo doesn't often do except for like the three DS or the two DS. I guess like in some ways as like a number in it that sequalizes it. But usually it's like a new experience every time. And this is like the most or like the least of that that they've ever had. It's very much just like, here's the same thing, little improvements, bills and whistles here or there, and then, as you mentioned, like the games, we're kind of still waiting on the big hype things. I think Donkey Kong will whin is when this thing's gonna feel brand new and fun and cool, and we'll see what that's like. But so far, you know, it looks pretty much the same. It runs a little better, it looks bit better, the screen's a bit nicer, the controllers are a little bit bigger, all that kind of stuff. Mario Kart's fun. But yeah, I'm not too blown away. But I kind of knew that I was getting this for the future and not for now. You know, I got this because like, at some point I'm gonna get a Smash Bros. These other big Nintendo games and things I'm not even like seen coming. Donkey Kong's what I'm excited for, as well maybe Metroid and other things like this. But yeah, like one, I don't think I've ever been less Hypedot've been getting a new console, but once again kind of expected. So that's that's kind of that's kind of fine. Walk me through like, you know, obviously you plug this bad boy in, you drop your innet in there, you do your data transfer. But like, what is the first kind of things are or thing you did when you kind of got this thing unpacked and booted up and passed that initialization.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, So the first thing I did once it was up and running was okay, I gotta update my first switch switch one because I'm trying to do the transfer stuff.
Speaker 2: So that caught me off.
Speaker 1: I didn't do that in advance either. I was like, damn it, I should have seen this.
Speaker 2: Uh so yeah I did that, and then uh.
Speaker 3: Screen protector tossed that bad boy on there pretty quick, did.
Speaker 2: A terrible job at it, so i'mn have to like reapply.
Speaker 1: That's like a little bubbles in there, you mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one little like bubble right in the middle. So just a pain in the ass. But yeah, so that was that's all taken care of.
Speaker 3: And then I thought, okay, once I installed my express card as well, because I picked up one of those because I was talking to the personality be Games, because I saw everyone in line in front of me was grabbing one of those, I thought, do I need one of these?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know what this really is supposed to do. So they had a bunch.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know what, Okay, I'm gonna buy it, and if I don't need it, I'll return it.
Speaker 1: So I bought a much more hard drive hard drive space what you're talking.
Speaker 2: About, that's exactly it. Yeah, and how how.
Speaker 1: Gigs did you get on there? It was like t ed something.
Speaker 3: I think the yeah, the it's two and fifty six in the console internally, and then I think this the express card is like another two and fifty six or something like that.
Speaker 2: So I just thought, whatever, I got it.
Speaker 3: And then when I was migrating everything over, it prompted me to put it in there. So it's like, okay, well i'll put it in maybe I'm supposed to do and I just I didn't know what I was doing half the time. I was just following the instructions.
Speaker 2: So did it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Got the card in there? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I upgraded my switch membership to the full year with the GameCube, game Boy all that kind of stuff because I was paying monthly and just like the very basic plan. So yeah, now I've got like the top tier one, which is stellar.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Started installing a few of the games. Everything transferred, but I was just putting in some of the games too, or setting them to install. And then still the same night of that I got the console, I booted up some of the games just to see how they're running, and just to see if my saves are still in there, which they were, and so everything was good.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, then I closed it off. I didn't touch Mario Kart yet.
Speaker 3: I didn't play that until Friday when my friend came over and I had a few hours to dish it out.
Speaker 1: What were those games that you booted up just to see how they ran?
Speaker 3: Three D all Stars booted that up and I re downloaded that, redownload it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Nice. What was the other one I did?
Speaker 3: I was going to do Ultimate Alliance three, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: I heard that's a little bit improved. I like, obviously I didn't get a sixty frames packed or anything, because that's going to require more than just the new console. They don't have to patch that, which they probably won't. But I've heard it runs a bit better, like doesn't drop frames as much and has like a little bit better loading time.
Speaker 3: That's cool, okay, uh? And then yeah, Smash Brothers was the other one, and then I thought I did one more. I can't if I did the Luigi's Mansion or not. I don't think I did. I didn't try Pokemon, although Reuben was telling me that Pokemon got a bit of a buff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard. That's huge for Scarlett and Violet in particular, which is great because those games obviously were not not in a beautiful state when they when they came out. What other peripheral do you have any other peroher roles that you got any other little tech hardware things for it other than the hard drivest.
Speaker 2: What else did I do? No?
Speaker 3: I think I almost bought another one of the like the the thing Ima jiggers, whatever you call it, the thing that they.
Speaker 1: Say the controller joy controllers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then I thought, well, no, if we're playing Mario Kart, I don't need a second one of those because I have to just get the joy Cons to go with it. So yeah, and then that completely changed my world when we figure out the whole other joy Con scenario. But if anything, I wanted to get one of the game Cube Pro controllers. I really want to, but obviously those are sold out, so for now, my I still have my Wii U GameCube controllers after that plugs in with the two USB things. So I plugged that into my switch, took my GameCube controller up and it works just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful. Yeah. I think when I booted it up, the first thing I did was, I think immediately played like a Grand Prix in Mario Kart. And then well, actually I guess first before that is like one, it queued like a million downloads, like things that were downloaded on my switch one, which I and I had like an external hard driver to all my switch one, so it's more things than I think it could fit, although it has more space than the switch one, so I don't know exactly if that's the case, but I, you know, stopped a bunch of downloads. I'm like, I don't need this. Minornet's kind of bad too, so it's gonna take seven years for that to happen. Redownload a couple of things that I forgot about, made sure, like you know, the Smash Bros And the things I need on there are downloaded, but with a priority on, Like okay, let's put Mario Kart top of the stack here so I can play this as soon as this is done, and then yeah, I think just of course checking out the Shop, which I heard just runs a lot better, and it does, which is great, because that was really I don't know, I don't know how they even considered that acceptable on the switch one. It was so bad to use that thing, like, I don't know from the beginning, but just like as more and more stuff gets added to it, definitely made trick at the game. The GameCube app downloaded, Lady was on that tier, so I just had to download it. And you know, there's only three games on there right now, Win Waker, F Zero and Soul Caliber, so it's it's pretty light so far. But I already booted up win Waker and have played a little bit of that, a little bit of Soul Caliber as well, which is which is fun to go check those games out. I'm excited for the rest of those games to drop. But yeah, mostly it's just been Mario Kart because I think, you know, I've just more seen on like Reddit and stuff that like Smash Bros. You know, there's nothing really changing about it. That game already ran really well. Maybe the low times are a little bit better, but otherwise nothing to be surprising there. Ultimate Lines Threw is definitely what I was hoping would get, like a nice upgrade, but like I said, it won't go past thirty frames unless they actually patch the game, because you know, it was just always built for thirty frames. So I don't think that'll happen. I don't know how well that games sold, but I'd love to be surprise there, but yeah, I don't think I I oh, yeah, I guess. The other one I did is download Tiers of the Kingdom and then downloaded that like switch to patch version for it. And it's funny. I played like a half an hour hour that I was excited to get back into Tiers of the Kingdom because like you know, the game didn't run well and I was like, Kash should give this game another chance. Played for like a half hour hour, I'm like, god, I remember why. I just didn't like this game a whole lot. I went into like a couple shrines and they were just so annoying. I'm like, fuck this game, Like I wish I could love this game as much as everyone else does, but it's still not my cup of tea. So I think I just went back to win Waker at that point. So yeah, it's honestly like, I think I'll just play some Mario kard if I have friends over. But until Donkey Kong, I don't know if I'll be using this much. I don't think there's any third party stuff I'll be picking up. I still have like multiple things that go on the go, like I'm playing on Xbox and things like that. Death Stranding comes out pretty soon, so I think this thing will be collecting dust a little bit until Donkey Kong, and then after I've played don Kong for a couple of weeks, you know, until we get that next uh Nintendo Direct and see what the next slate of things are and if there's anything else coming out later this year. For me, yeah, I don't think I will be playing it much in the meantime, which maybe sounds like some people were like, why'd you buy this console if you're kind of this low hyped on it, But once again, I kind of got it for the future, So that's that's what to expect there. And then yeah, I didn't really get anything else. I didn't get a storage thing. I have like a million game controllers here, so I'm like, yeah, they don't have the left bumper, but like I can get away without using that. I don't want the freaking camera. I don't need that. I have discord. Uh yeah, so I don't think I didn't get anything else. And then thank you for that tip that the joy cons from the switch one can connect. I didn't think they would. I don't think they talked about that pre launch because I think they wanted people to not to about that so they would just buy more switch to joycns and make some money there. But that's a huge hint. I mean, I'm gonna probably sell my switch one, so I might get rid of those. But anyway, that is a good thing to know if I want to play some miro Kart with some friends this week, I.
Speaker 2: Got my my rechargeable path, so I don't need my dock anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh nice thing. Wow that looks because it looks like the controller thing, but it just doesn't have the side pack.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have the sides yeah yeah, but it has the charging cord that works out there and it works works great.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome. Yeah, let's talk about the I guess hardware a little bit. So obviously, like I don't know, nothing really too surprising, but like the screen isn't that much bigger, but it's just more economically there's less of the bars I guess on the edges, so it just feels a lot better. It feels a lot more slick, and obviously like this back thing is, you know, not nearly as yanky as the old one was. What do you what do you think about the joy Con twos? Like were you in the same campus with me where the joy Con ones were just like you just don't like those are? Were you fine with them in the first place? Like, how do you feel about the upgrade here?
Speaker 3: The joy cons for the switch one definitely felt not perfect. They felt like just holding it like, I don't know, they don't feel I feel like they could break. I don't feel like they gotta like a toy strength. Yeah, they do feel like a toy. Even the plastic feels different, all that mumbo jumba. But when I start holding like the switch two joy cons, the thumb sticks feel better. Everything about this feels better. And also I got big hand Hans Madson's got little hands, so the joy cons, the one joy cons are easier for her, but the big joy cons.
Speaker 2: It is perfect.
Speaker 3: And when we're using before we're using the switch one joy Cons she specifically requested to use. I think it was the left the joy joy Con because her thumbstick was closer to the side for her thumb, whereas the right one her thumb. It was a bit difficult because it was further over right.
Speaker 2: That was kind of interesting. But for me, I got I got bigger hands, so either or works for me. It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I just thought that was an interesting scenario considering they are excessively bigger and better built than the first joy Cons are, right, so.
Speaker 1: The overall just a huge improvement for you because they just put your hands with better. Yeah, I haven't used it enough yet, and maybe because next week we are planning doing like a fuller episode on Mario Kart and we'll have Travis Jones there as well, and he'll share his thoughts on the console. That just he just hasn't had much time with it as as we have. I am still a joke on hater. These are maybe a little bit of improvement, but they honestly don't feel much different for me. After playing Mario Kart for a bit, like I did a round of Knockout Tour, which is like the Battle reality thing, and that's like, you know, you're playing for a while without a break, Like I don't know how long it is. It feels like twenty minutes or something. And like doing that, I had like a bit of hand pain in my right hand. I was like, fuck, okay, this is like maybe a little bit better, but I still have the hand pain that switch one gives me, And so you know that's part of me, just like turning thirty soon. I'm just old as old as dirt over here, and I climb all the time. My hands are fucked like I'm just done for. But I was hoping that these would be better hearing that, Like the sticks are a bit bigger and the controllers a little bit bigger, So you know, I need a few more hours with that to really come down on it. The only this is a very weird little nitpick. But with where my hand sits naturally on this controller, Taylor, specifically the right hand, if I want to like hit the plus button like the pause, like with where my hand sits naturally, I have to like fully readjust my hand and to hit that like it normally would always be like in reach of like a quick movement, but I'm like, the way I'm gaming here, I have to like like let go a bit and shift my hand up to hit that like comfortably, unless I was just like stretching. So it's a weird nippick. And I don't if you've noticed that, because obviously it's not like you're hitting plus too often when you're playing games. You just like are pausing or going to a menu or whatnot. But it's almost like slightly too big in a weird way. Uh So, once again that is my maybe nitpick of it all. But I was maybe hoping for a bit more organomics. But these things are still just like flat, you know, like they're not These are not built for a hend. These are I don't know what they're built for. But uh, obviously it's like form overfunction, I think. And yeah, so I was maybe home for a little bit more of a glow up, but uh, I don't know, I guess I'm I don't hate on them, but they're there. May be slightly better, but they honestly don't feel like much of a change for me other than like they look a lot slicker and the buttons feel a little bit better. But that's also probably just because they're new and not crusty like my uh switch one joy CON's at this point, hopefully they don't get drift. Apparently they're a lot better for drift prevention, because I definitely have had a pair of joy Funds that I have had drift, So hopefully that doesn't happen again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want that.
Speaker 3: It's funny you mentioned the reaching your right finger and like kind of removing your hand from the controller, or at least repositioning it to hit that button. I've naturally, and I've noticed this. I've naturally just been kind of angling my controller. So when I'm playing Xbox, I kind of go I pulled it kind of like like this. As I'm playing, Oh on an angle?
Speaker 1: Wait, like you actually hold it like this?
Speaker 3: I hold it so if I'm playing straight, I hold it kind of like this. As I'm playing, I hold it like on an incline, which is kind of weird. Interesting, And I noticed that when I'm playing switch on like this, I'm going like this too, I have it on an incline.
Speaker 1: Right, interesting, So huh, maybe I gotta try that. I'm at the point now where I have like a nice pillow and I like rest my wrists and hands on the pillow because that's helped me a lot alleviate the hand pain that I it from playing games, because I do get pain on like Xbox and stuff too if I'm gaming like a fucking mad man. But the pillow helps leave it out and everything except for the joy colns just because they're I don't know, they're too baby for I don't know if they're too baby for my hands or it's just because they have dog shit organomics. I'm not exactly sure, but you know, it's a slight improvement. But I still got beef with these bad boys. I'm trying to think about other things, like the screen. It's good you don't have an O laed switch, right, you just have the base.
Speaker 2: I got the Base number one switch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I've seen a lot of people who have the O LED one. When they get the switch too, they feel like this feels like a huge downgrade in terms of screen quality. I actually haven't really used it much in handheld yet, so I can't compare, but at least in terms of the size of the screen, it's much nicer. And then obviously justn't have the downgrade because I don't have the O lead model either, So yeah, what else is anything else? Like tech tech wise or just like about the switch console? We haven't mentioned it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd say depending on what TV you have, because I I went in and I set it to one hundred and twenty ear it's refresh rate, which is nice because my TV has that hence the courtesy of my Xbox series X SO did that and set it to make sure it was on four K and all that kind of stuff, and I don't think it didn't set it initially, so I had to go in and like manually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did not default a four K for mine either, which was weird. What to one hundred and twenty frames? I guess have you experienced a game that has that? I don't know if anything you have that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is the menu?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is the menu? Like? Holy shit, this is one hundred and twenty Like can you tell? Or the quality of.
Speaker 2: Like the dark mode gray background is phenomenal?
Speaker 1: No, I don't can cruise to the shop at one hundred and twenty frames? Second? Yeah, because yes, Like I can't even think back to when I because I talked you know, a bit ago when they announced one hundred and twenty frames thing that I'm kind of pissed because of my old TV was one hundred and twenty frames. I'd get a new TV, and since no games were really using one hundred and twenty frames, I'm like, fuck it, I'll just get a sixty frame TV and then this has one twenty frames, Like damn it, I missed out on that. But I don't remember when I had that on Xbox, Like did I notice that in menus or was it only just like when I was playing Doom or something that had like one hundred and twenty frames patch for it. So I'm curious to see what the first I guess it would be. Metroid is the one they announced, presumably that's the first one that comes out that has one hundred and twenty frames, which I don't even think you're playing on getting that game right, but if you do, that would maybe be the first one. But I'm curious to see what other games get the one hundred and twenty because that'll be a test case. I forget, does it run one hundred and twenty for the handheld as well? I think it does, uncertain.
Speaker 2: Feel like it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be surprised, which is pretty crazy, not four k obviously that would just be ten eighty, but an improvement from the seven to twenty that the Switch one had. Yeah, yeah, let's see what else. I guess we could talk about Mario Kart a little bit. Like I said, well, next week we'll do a full deep dive on on Mario Kart. But yeah, how much have you played of Mario Kart so far?
Speaker 2: I feel like I have sunk in a fair bit of time.
Speaker 3: Nice so that when my buddy came over on the Friday, that was around like ten eleven am and we're playing right up till three, So we sunk in. We completed all all the Grand Prix, unlocked the extra one that they've tossed in there, the Rainbow Road, and then we got most of the characters, which is pretty nice.
Speaker 2: And so at this point I'm just going through. I think it was just like the.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of costumes to unlock.
Speaker 3: That's right, there's a lot of costumes, and so I've just been working at getting costumes right now. I'm switching up every Grand Prix I do, I play a different characters and just hitting those sandwich bags throughout the course just to get the new costumes, and then I did do a bit of a free room.
Speaker 2: That's the way to do it.
Speaker 3: You can also do free roam and get certain sandwich bags on certain locations, and then you can get costumes that way, but for this point no, I've just been hitting the races and Grand Prix and getting the costumes that way.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the game so far. It's funny just how much Mark eight I've played at this point. I'm so into the muscle memory of that, just getting used to like the new drin where it feels a little bit i don't know what the word to use, a little bit squishier. It feels really good, but like you sink a bit more into your turn rather than like the tightness that I'm obviously just used to. But I think it feels really great. I like that they kind of simplified the you know, characters select well. Obviously there's a lot more characters in costumes, but in terms of the cart right, like you're picking, that is a little bit simpler than it was before. I still have a ton to unlock, obviously. I think I've played three or four Grand Prix. I did a round of Knockout Tour. I've done a little bit, maybe a half an hour hour of the Yeah, Free Rome. I haven't played battle Mode yet, and I'm surprised that was even in there, because I don't think that was in the Markard direct that they did like a couple months ago. I don't think they ever announced battle Mode. I think that was kind of a surprise when I was in there. Have you tried battle Mode yet? Because I'm curious what the maps are? I'm guessing they just like take a section of the world, right, because that's like what the rest of the courses do.
Speaker 2: I did not try a battle mode yet. I've just done Knockout and then the Grand Prix that's it, and Free Rom.
Speaker 1: I guess, Yeah, how did Knockout Tour and go for you?
Speaker 2: Uh? What did I do with that?
Speaker 3: Because we put Madison joined me for that because we played a bit and I think I said it to one hundred and fifty CC and when I did, I did that I had to lean forward, and when I lean forward, I'm playing games, I'm in game remote. Yeah, so that was definitely give me a run for my money, but it was it was a lot of fun and I feel like this game too in general, like it's easier for I should say easier. Madison definitely is like she's she has a good time with Mario Kart, but this it's been a few times, so she's snuck it and she's got that like gets that second or first place, and I'm coming at third. I'm like, what the heck, because I'd say, at least with one hundred CC when I'm doing the Grand Prix, I'm usually out of the four races, three of them, I'm coming first place.
Speaker 2: I like my odds.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty consistent, and I hope that this appears again in the Gauntlet or whatever in the future, then we can I can.
Speaker 1: Yes, that would be I feel like I needed to learn these maps because there's so much more in in terms of like shortcuts and stuff, just because of the addition of wall riding and grinding and obviously a lot of that you can kind of figure out if you do some of these like piece switch things whatever in the free rom mode and whatnot. But yeah, I feel like there's a lot more like these. There's less maps than obviously Mark or eight has because that game has ton of DLC at this point. But yeah, the maps feel like they have a lot more depth to them in terms of like shortcuts and things. So I feel like that's going to take a long time to really master this game, which is kind of exciting, and I'm sure by the time we do, they'll have some more DLC maps to chuck at us, which will be exciting.
Speaker 3: The idea of doing the wall riding that blows my mind because I was doing the free roam and I was sitting those piece switches and just doing a bunch of different challenges and then the lo and behold, here comes my first one for wall driving and thought, okay, I had to watch a YouTube video how they were doing it, and so it was like you go along the left wall and then you have to go along the right wall, and it's a time trial, so you have limited amount of time to do this because you have to go along the left wall, go through a time extender, then jump to the right wall, hit that time extender, and then hit the last one on the ground straight ahead. And so I could do the left wall, I couldn't get over and do it on the right wall. It was just too it was too tricky. I and the essence of time too, is a factor as well, trying to figure that out because you're going you can't be turning. You get to be going straight, charge up your jump, jump off onto the side of the wall, and then jump off. But my brain and my fingers want to go into like a drift after I jump.
Speaker 2: Off that first wall.
Speaker 3: But this is one of those things where I feel like, Okay, it's just because I'm an old man now and you get like a six or seven year old in here, they're gonna do it in like ten seconds maybe, yeah, some crazy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like these are new mechanics, like just being able to jump, you know, whatever it is. I forget what the button conboys, if you hold the button then it hit the right trigger or something like that. You that's right, right, It's like that's that's new. But for like if you're kid, it's your first marrow kart, Like that's just a mechanic. But for us, it's like we got to rewire the brain's a bit to figure it out.
Speaker 3: And it applies not just to the wall jumps, but to like incoming projectiles. Right, I'm prety sure you can jump over shells doing it, and you can do other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, probably. Yeah, I don't. I've not I've definitely not mastered the jump at this point, so it's gonna take me a bit to get used to that.
Speaker 3: It's it's similar to the I guess the oh my gosh, the feather. The feather is like feather that jumps you.
Speaker 1: A huge jump, yeah, which I'm sure a lot of shortcuts will be tied to that, which is a cool item, and I like that. That's another because I feel like there's such a rare or a small pool of items that you can get if you're in like a high position like one, two, three, four. I think feather you can get. I don't know if you can get it if you're in first, but you can get it when you're in like a lot of those high positions. So it's fun to have like a new item there rather than just only getting coins or like the odd banana or the odd green shell. Now you get I can get something that you know you can use for a shortcut or just you know, I don't even know the bounds of all of the I'm sure you can dodge a lot of it shells with it and things too, So it's fun to have a new item for those those tiers. Yeah, I think I need to do a bit more of the open world to see how I feel about that, because like, some of the challenges, as you mentioned, are challenging, and some of them are quite fun, but it does feel a little basic, I guess, but you know, it is like and I guess. The other last thing I wanted to say about this is like, you know, one of the things that the Grand Prix they added is like you're traveling between the maps, and I wondered how that would work, but it turns out that like the map still ends, you know, everyone finishes, you see the scoreboard, and then you go back into the race, and then you drive from that map to the next map. But that's like included in the lap count. So the reason when I was the most recent when I did ended or ended up at some point at Warrior's Shipyard, which is such a cool map. But by the time I got to Warrio's Shipyard and it was already like a lap and a half into the race just driving there, and then I did like one lap of warriors Shipyard and then it was over, and I was like, I feel like I wanted to play on that map, but I spent instead spend half the time just like actually getting there on like which is still a decent little path, but it's not as exciting as the map itself. I've heard that if you go in like not Grand Prix but and just like verse mode I guess, and you pick maps that way, then you don't do the transition between them, You just do like three laps or whatever on the actual course. So that's something to try out too, because maybe this is fun for now to do the Grand Prix, but once you get the unlocks from it, maybe I would just go to Verse mode and like pick individual maps. So I'll try that out before next week's episode and report back on how that works in there. But yeah, like I said, next week, we will dive deeper tomorrow carp. But any other like top level thoughts on it you wanted to share or the console as a whole.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much. It's pretty much shit. The other one of the other kickers is why I want to upgrade my online subscription. I will, I will shut up because I really wanted to play fire Emblem on the Game Boy Advance.
Speaker 1: Ooh that excites me to hear? Hell yeah, which one? Which one? You playing or I'm which there were two on there, right, there's Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones.
Speaker 3: And Sacred Stones. Okay, then I'm pretty sure the one I popped on and is Sacred Stones. And I'm doing that because when when I was young, my cousin I go to his place and he has Game Boy Advance and he had Sacred Stones on there, and I he let me try it, and I loved it, loved it, loved it.
Speaker 2: And that's why years later.
Speaker 3: When the DS came out or three DS, maybe I picked up Shadow Dragon, which of course was fun, but it didn't satisfy that itch.
Speaker 1: So Shadow Dragon is crap. It's probably the worst fun in the series. I mean, it's a remake of the first game, so it's very basic and simple. Uh yeah, Sacred Stones is still the goat Fire Bloom game in my opinion, as someone who's played like twelve entries in the series, I'm so happy're playing that one because I've played that game probably through to credits at least four times. Maybe doesn't sound like a lot. That's a long ass game, and then started it like another twenty times in my life. It's just so good.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, like it's it's going back and playing it after all these years because I never was able to find it on game Boy Advance. So it's just it's an absolute delight. I'm having such a blast with it. I'm a few few missions in so far, and I love it. It's just it's bringing me back and it's it's such.
Speaker 1: Those battle animations. Oh, the most gorgeous picks alert in the world. Hey, it's fucking beautiful. Oh, I'm so happy you're playing that game. I'm gonna bug you every side quest now of like where you where it's.
Speaker 2: Please do it's easy to just hop on and pick up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think that's like those games have always been, especially now that you can like make save states mid level because of the switch like functionality of it. That's even or you can rewind if you know, you make a like you know, because that's a feature in the new Fireingblum games but not those old ones. So it's really nice, like through this roundabout way and the switch emulation to be able to do that stuff. That's really great. You did you ever play Path of Radiance, the one on GameCube? No, and that one hits When that one hits the catalog, you should definitely check that one out too, because that game is also I think it's still my second favorite in the series. Like there was something about that early mid two thousand spot where fire Emblem that was like absolutely perfect, and that game's gorgeous, has some beautiful like CG cut scenes and really colorful, great mechanics and all that, and I think you'll really like that one as well. So that's that's gonna be dropping on the announced that it's coming. Yeah, it was in that'll drop, So I don't know when. It's probably this year, I would assume at some point, which is cool because that game is super hard to find and like super expensive at game stores and things, so it's really nice that it'll be easily accessible. And I hope, well, I guess Kirkland doesn't have a switch too, but someday when he gets a switch to, I'm sure he'll jump into Path of Ratings as well. But dude, that's sweet. I'm so so glad you're playing Sacred Stones.
Speaker 2: It's good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any other closing thoughts here for today?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I've top my head. I can't I can't think of anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, no problem. This is kind of our first impressions, of course as it's titled, and next week we'll do but if a deeper diving to Mario Kart, we'll talk about, you know, just more switch to discoveries and things that we've been doing with this new console. So that'll be a fun update to one week from now. Thank you everyone for listening. Go check out our Xbox Show coverage and all the other showcases we did, and yeah, let us know what you're thinking of the console. If you have any questions about it, also send those our way, either on the Patreon or Discord or YouTube or whatever the heck. I'll see them and put them in next week's episode. And yeah, thank you for joining me, Taylor, and we'll see you all next week. Bye bye