Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today, we're jumping into enterprise cybersecurity, which, let's be honest, feels like trying to hit a moving target sometimes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The threats are just getting well smarter, more spread out, hitting from all angles. It's relentless.
Speaker 1: And it's not just the threats changing, right, the way we work is totally different completely.
Speaker 2: Clouds, sauce, apps everywhere, people working from home, coffee shops, anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've got this massive explosion of apps and users, but also deeper security holes opening up because.
Speaker 2: Of it exactly, And that old idea of a secure walled garden, you know, the corporate network gone pretty much dissolved.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: It's now this amorphous edge. It's fluid, it's everywhere, and companies are frankly struggling to keep up security wise.
Speaker 1: The old ways just don't cut it anymore, not at all.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to saw Secure Access service edge.
Speaker 1: Okay, sauce, we hear that term a lot Gartner coined it.
Speaker 2: They did. It's basically an architectural framework, a new way of thinking designed specific for this client to cloud world we're in.
Speaker 1: Now, So not just another buzzword, hopefully definitely not.
Speaker 2: It's it's really a necessary shift.
Speaker 1: So our mission today on this deep.
Speaker 2: Dive is to really unpack sauces for you. What's actually in it, why does it matter so much now, how does it work?
Speaker 1: And maybe what should you look for if you're considering it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. We're drawing insights from Sasize for Dummies versus Networks Special Edition. The goal is you walk away feeling like you've got a solid handle on it.
Speaker 1: Great, let's start with that perimeter shift because that really sets the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So the old model.
Speaker 1: Everyone's in the office right connected to the company data.
Speaker 2: Center, uh, using those private secure MPLS networks mostly.
Speaker 1: And the security was basically just being inside the walls pretty much.
Speaker 2: It was private fixed. If you were in, you were generally trusted. Simple. Maybe a bit too.
Speaker 1: Simple now, okay, so what changed? Everything you mentioned work from anywhere.
Speaker 2: That was huge, plus everyone adopting sauce apps like Salesforce Office three sixty five, you.
Speaker 1: Name it, and moving workloads to different clouds right aws Azure exactly.
Speaker 2: So suddenly you've got more people, more data, more everything outside the old walls than inside.
Speaker 1: So the perimeter isn't a place anymore.
Speaker 2: Not really, it's like software defined now. It pops up transiently around the user, the device, the app, wherever.
Speaker 1: They are individual virtual perimeters.
Speaker 2: That's the concept, yeh, a fundamental shift.
Speaker 1: And those old WANs, the NPLS networks that must be groaning under the strain.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, major pain points, super complex to manage it.
Speaker 1: Every branch expensive too, right, MPLS bandwidth isn't cheap, not.
Speaker 2: At all, and you often lack visibility agility. Plus that whole model of backhauling all Internet traffic to a central point, like.
Speaker 1: Forcing all international slites through one airport.
Speaker 2: Exactly, huge bottleneck doesn't work for distributed users needing cloud apps.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the old walls are down, the old roads are jammed. Enter SASE. You said it's not one thing but a package.
Speaker 2: Right, think of it as an integrated framework, a bundle of technologies designed to work together from the start, not.
Speaker 1: Just like duct taping different security tools.
Speaker 2: Now, that's the key difference. The integration is where the power comes from.
Speaker 1: So what's in this ASE toolkit?
Speaker 2: Okay? At the foundation you've got SD one software defined.
Speaker 1: Wants, right, we've heard of that, yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's evolved it's not just about saving money on connections anymore. It's full networking, smart traffic steering, even security built in, allowing direct Internet access safely from branches.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the network foundation. What about the security layers?
Speaker 2: Then you later on things like SWGs secure web gateways.
Speaker 1: Protecting users browsing the Internet.
Speaker 2: Exactly, filtering URLs, blocking malware, preventing data loss for those remote users. And closely related are casbs Cloud Access Security Brokers cafsbs.
Speaker 1: They handle the cloud app side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they give you visibility and controller or how your sasaps are being used. Crucially, they help secure your data even when it's sitting in someone else's cloud system.
Speaker 1: That's important. Okay, what else?
Speaker 2: And a really big piece ZTNA zero trust network.
Speaker 1: Access, zero trust trusts nothing pretty much.
Speaker 2: It's not about building walls, it's about putting a bouncer at every single door inside. It constantly verifies identity, device health context before letting anyone access anything, so you.
Speaker 1: Only get access to exactly what you need and nothing more.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it hides applications from view unless you're explicitly allowed, massively reduces the attack surface if someone does get in they can't just wander around.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, limits the blast radius totally.
Speaker 2: And finally, you integrate f waws firewall as a service, often using ngngfw's next gen firewalls.
Speaker 1: So advanced firewalling but delivered from the cloud.
Speaker 2: YEP, deep packet inspection, understanding applications, preventing intrusions, all that good stuff, but integrated into the safety fabric.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's SD one, swgcasb Z ten A flaws all rolled into one.
Speaker 2: But the real magic, like you said, isn't just having the pieces, it's that they're.
Speaker 1: Integrated, designed to work together from the ground up exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a single cohesive system, not of Frankenstein's monster of different security boxes. That integration makes it faster, smarter, more comprehensive.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to make this all work smoothly, there must be some core principles, right, some architectural must haves.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's a kind of secret sauce to doing SaaS properly for performance and security.
Speaker 1: Give us the ingredients.
Speaker 2: First off, hardware neutrality, moving away from needing specific proprietary boxes for.
Speaker 1: Everything, ah, avoiding appliance sprawl exactly.
Speaker 2: I think flexible software. You can run on standard hardware, VMS containers, one integrated stack, handling, routing, security optimization, everything much simpler, less.
Speaker 1: Costly, okay, flexibility, what else?
Speaker 2: Performance is key? So single pass execution this is crucial. Single pass Yeah. Instead of a data packet being stopped, unpacked, inspected, repacked, then sent to the next box to do.
Speaker 1: It all again, which sounds slow, very.
Speaker 2: With single pass, the packet is unpacked once all the security engines, firewall, IPS, malware detection inspected in parallel. Then it's a repacked and.
Speaker 1: Sent on like an efficient assembly line versus separate workshops.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy, dramatically lower latency, much better performance.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. What about scaling? Needs change?
Speaker 2: Right, So you need elastic scale out and a design using containers and micro services. Think lego blocks instead of a solid.
Speaker 1: Statue, easy to add a remove capacity exactly.
Speaker 2: Spin up resources, scale horizontally, deploy temporary branches in the cloud almost instantly, super agile and resilient.
Speaker 1: It's cloud native thinking and for users everywhere.
Speaker 2: Global distribution is vital. You need SaaS points of presence or pops spread around the world close to your users. Reduces latency, improves their experience.
Speaker 1: Local access basically.
Speaker 2: YEP, and related to security in line encryption, SaaS has to be able to handle encrypted traffic, decrypt, inspect based on policy, then re encrypted scale without needing special hardware.
Speaker 1: Can't let threats hide in encrypted tunnels precisely.
Speaker 2: And finally, segmentation with multi tenancy, SAS needs to isolate traffic internally and for service providers, multi tenancy allows them to securely serve multiple customers on shared infrastructure, keeping everyone separate.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a solid foundation. Now let's talk more about the security capabilities. How does SAS actually make things more secure day to day?
Speaker 2: It brings advanced tools together intelligently take advanced threat protection, the integrated IDPs, intrusion detection and prevention.
Speaker 1: Systems, so not just spotting attacks, but stopping them.
Speaker 2: Right using everything from known attack signatures to anomaly detection, behavioral analysis, sandboxing suspicious files, all working together, and crucially being able to decrypt TLS traffic to see.
Speaker 1: Inside because so much traffic is encrypted.
Speaker 2: Now exactly, you can't protect what you can't see.
Speaker 1: What about protecting basic things like browsing or DNAs aocin enhances.
Speaker 2: That too, DNA security features like dns sec filtering known bad domains help prevent basic hijacking and fishing. And then there's remote browser isolation or RBI.
Speaker 1: RBI that sounds interesting. How does that work?
Speaker 2: It's pretty clever. Instead of your browser directly loading a web page, the browsing happens on a remote, isolated server in the cloud. Only a safe image of the page is streamed to your device.
Speaker 1: So if there's malware on the web page.
Speaker 2: It detonates harmlessly in that isolated cloud container, not on your machine. Your endpoint stays clean.
Speaker 1: Nitt trick. Okay. What about controlling data and understanding user actions.
Speaker 2: That's where ueboor it comes in. User and entity behavior analytics.
Speaker 1: Behavior analytics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it learns what's normal activity for users and devices, then flags anomalies so you can spot compromised accounts or insider threats based on weird behavior.
Speaker 1: Not just static rules, more context aware security exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which ties into sensitive data protection. Says can understand the content text of data, is it sensitive, who's accessing it, where is it going, and apply policies automatically block uploads, force encryption, watermark files based on risk.
Speaker 1: And this all falls under that UTM umbrella. Sometimes unified threat management often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, UTM is just a way of saying, you've got a comprehensive suite firewall, IPS, malware protection, DLP, the works all integrated.
Speaker 1: Got it, so a very layered, integrated defense. How does all this tech actually help businesses transform? Though? What's the link to bigger goals?
Speaker 2: It's a massive enabler. Think about multi cloud, it's complex connecting securely to aws, asure Google Cloud, maybe private clouds nightmare. Sometimes SACY simplifies that traumatically. You can automatically discover and set up secure connections, managing both the data path and the control signals.
Speaker 1: So it smooths out multi.
Speaker 2: Cloud adoption definitely. And it brings cloud dated flexibility, automatic resource provisioning, consistent user experience wherever they are, simpler IT management. It just fits the modern way way of operating.
Speaker 1: So you get multi cloud readiness, built in security, better routing, smart traffic steerings.
Speaker 2: Sophisticated visibility analytics. Yeah, all those modern capabilities bundle together.
Speaker 1: Okay, talk about simplification for the IT teams out there feeling buried. How does SAC help with management and crucially the budget huge impact here.
Speaker 2: Faster administration and deployment is a big one. Automation handles a lot of the setup and monitoring policies are consistent everywhere.
Speaker 1: Less manual tinkering at each site wayless.
Speaker 2: And then there's single pain visibility. This is gold one dashboard to see everything, network performance, security events, user activity across your entire estate, offices, clouds, remote users.
Speaker 1: Moving from managing boxes to managing the user experience exactly.
Speaker 2: Which gives you complete control. You see issues instantly, you can change policies quickly, and this all drives down costs. How so well, Capital costs drop because you ditch most of that hardware appliance sprawl. Bandwidth costs often decrease using direct Internet acts instead of expensive mpls everywhere it. Staff costs go down thanks to automation and easier management.
Speaker 1: And fewer security breaches must save money too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Fewer breaches plus ZT and A shrinks the attack surface dramatically, and finally scalability costs. Need a new branch office or connect new cloud resource. Spin it up quickly and easily in the SAT cloud, much cheaper and faster.
Speaker 1: Let's make it concrete. Tell us about Acmebank. They had the old setup.
Speaker 2: Yep, Traditional Wan struggling with mobile banking demands, adopting cloud apps, supporting work from home. The usual story needed better security, performance, visibility, and less reliance on old telco lines. So they went SaaS they did to play a single platform, integrating everything, routing sd WAN security layers like Firewall, swgcsp DLP, even RBI and UEBA all delivered as a cloud native service and the result much simpler infrastructure. They could rapidly roll out secure access to home offices, temporary locations. Security was stronger, application performance improved, failover was better. Users got a consistent experience everywhere. It solved their core problems.
Speaker 1: That really illustrates the benefits. So if an organization is looking at SaaS, what are the key things to focus on best practices?
Speaker 2: Critically? Look for a true single software stack. Was it built integrated from day one or is it just different products stitched together?
Speaker 1: Why does that matter so much?
Speaker 2: Performance usually and fewer potential security gaps between the components. Easier management too. A ground up design.
Speaker 1: Is generally better, Okay, unified architecture, what else?
Speaker 2: Focus on contextual security and access? How well does it use identity, device posture, location, maybe even UiB insights to make access decisions that Role based access control RBAC needs to be really granular.
Speaker 1: And dynamic adaptive security right, and.
Speaker 2: Think about the future scalability for new technologies. Is the platform ready for IoT five G, whatever comes next? These things demand huge processing power and flexible secure. It needs to be future proof.
Speaker 1: Good point, So boiling it all down, what's the checklist for a good SaaS solution?
Speaker 2: Okay, key things flexible delivery, cloud on prem hybrid, check single pass architecture for performance, check global pops for low latency.
Speaker 1: Check single management console.
Speaker 2: Essential, future proof design, yes, elastic, scalable pricing important. Does it have integrated DLP UBR RBI. Look for those advanced features.
Speaker 1: And independence crucial.
Speaker 2: Needs to be independent of specific cloud providers, hardware vendors or network transports. Gives you freedom and avoids lock in.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. It really feels like SaaS isn't just incremental, It's a fundamental rething.
Speaker 2: It really is. It tackles the reality of today's distributed cloud first world head on by merging networking insecurity into one cloud native service.
Speaker 1: So we've covered a lot. AS is clearly here to stay and essential for modern enterprises.
Speaker 2: No doubt. It addresses the core security and connectivity challenges we.
Speaker 1: Face now, which leads to a final thought. As tech keeps blurring boundaries, think quantum computing, breaking encryption, or maybe fully immersive metaverses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whole new frontiers or edges.
Speaker 1: Exactly how does this trust nothing idea evolve beyond sas? What new edges are going to pop up that we haven't even imagined yet that will need securing?
Speaker 2: That's the multi billion dollar question. Isn't it something for everyone to ponder as they look at securing their own digital landscape today and tomorrow. SaaS is the path now, but the evolution won't stop.
Speaker 1: There a lot to think about. That wraps up this deep dive on SASE. We hope this gave you a clear view of this critical technology. Until next time, stay curious.