Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago, we discussed the story that was gonna happen in California in the sperm Race. Yeah, and there weren't a lot of details, so it was kind of a h It was a story that she didn't have a lot of clarity to it. Well, I've now unclogged the pipes and have figured out what happened at the actual sperm race, okay, where it was gonna be USC versus UCLA classic. The guy that put this together, This was conceived by seventeen year old tech entrepreneur Eric Ju.
Speaker 2: Did you say it was conceived?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Got so many jokes here, seventeen year old Eric Ju. Okay, you should know this about him. He was kicked out of high school.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, He moved to San Francisco, he got in the tech world. Is kind of having a banteeing about with some tech companies. Then he met with the tech guy Peter Thiel. Oh yeah, okay, and Phil flew him to New York and said, what's your craziest idea? And he's like, as a joke, He's like, the sperm race. It feels like genius. Here's some money, let's do it, and he's like what, So he raises one point five million dollars the seventeen year old kid who was kicked out of high school, and they're gonna hold it at this event and men's health Senate journalists there to cover all this. They thought it would draw about five thousand people. The venue that they had booked holds four thousand people, so there's already a big red flag. So the day before the show, the venue cancels the event and they have to move it somewhere else because they thought too many people were going to be there. They spent all the money they had. They raised one point five million out. They spent all the money they had on this one event, which he casually said.
Speaker 2: In the interview might be stupid, but we did it anyways.
Speaker 1: The main event was a best of three race between a guy named Asher, a freshman at UCLA, a guy named Tristan, a sophomore at USC.
Speaker 2: Both have been given one thousand dollars to train.
Speaker 1: There's like prep period and then make some tongue in cheek, you know, promo videos and stuff like that, Drink some pineapple juice like all.
Speaker 2: Kinds of stuff. All right, what does that do I don't really know.
Speaker 1: Yep, the guy with the fastest swimmers would get ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: But again, how do you do that? Well, that's the whole thing is.
Speaker 1: They had some technology that's very hard to describe, but basically, they would put their sample into a container and then once some scientists took a look at it and determined which the fastest swimmers might be, and then it was on a microscopic It's hard. It's really hard to describe a microscopic model that represented a female's reproductive system, and then that was put on a JumboTron. Now they made a fight poster and everything, okay to make it like funny. Yeah, so they go at the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah they did.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, So they gave a sperm sample at the venue an hour before showtime, and then the doctors are the scientists on hand would filter it. The guy who did the circle said, when arrived now before the race, the arena bus with the kind of energy that screams, we're absolutely not gonna pull it off. This guy was wearing the same clothes he was wearing the day before, the guy that put on the event, and they were having chaos when the doors open. It was not four thousand people. It was more like four hundred people. Yeah. He asked one girl who was there how she heard about the event. She said, I saw a meme as she just went to it. He also met a nurse there. The nurse said that she was there representing an at home sperm testing startup and she was a loose sponsor.
Speaker 2: Of the event.
Speaker 1: But she was like, yeah, I don't really want my name in this article focus and I'm just understing what this is. So then here comes the guys and they bring him out with her entage like it's a boxing match. Them they're all wearing white like they little sperms. And then this guy was wearing a plastic paintball vest on it. The term nut King was striped and sharpie on his vest.
Speaker 2: God, so they got they have a big race. There was av glitches everywhere.
Speaker 1: Ty Dolla sign The rapper was booked to perform, but after five minutes, he said, he told the DJ to turn off the music and he stormed off stage.
Speaker 2: Wow like Firefast, it does it kind of was. It does feel very Silicon Valley Man. So there it was. If you've ever seen that show, on HBO.
Speaker 1: You kind of get the vibe there didn't work, but also they're gonna do another one.
Speaker 2: Let's go right.
Speaker 3: Fantastic reporting by Kevin Turner in the Suck Zone. Coming up next in the big finish, Let's get back into the Cooper flag stuff. Don't go anywhere. That's in just over four minutes. That's coming up momentarily. Don't go anywhere.