Speaker 1: And now it's time for bas Sweet Day Up Day, featuring veteran news anchor kt fon tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world. There is a bill on Capitol Hill and it's gonna go back to the Senate here and it might get passed. All right, here's the story. There was a bill requiring classroom displays of the Ten Commandment, so basically tin commandments have to be posted in the classroom I.
Speaker 2: Think they have that in Louisiana already.
Speaker 1: So it was the House passed it, it was amended yesterday, and it's going back to the Senate and then Governor Abbott will probably sign this and it'll probably pass. I do think we talked about this earlier, about the teacher thing. I think the majority of people out there don't really care, Okay. I think you have a segment of people who really think this should happen. I think you have a probably a smaller segment of people who think it really shouldn't happen. And you got a lot of people the man whose life doesn't change either way, right, they don't make any more money, like the Commandments are in the classroom or not. Yeah, the first thing I wanted to do before I play. You guys, Madio's ask you, do you guys know the Ten Commandments?
Speaker 2: Do you know him? Christina love my neighbor? What's the difference in that in the Bill of Rights?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not one of the What didn't Jesus give us the right to bear arms? That's it. The commandments and amendments are big words for kids too.
Speaker 3: Have you guys ever seen or heard of the original Melbrooks movie The History of the World, Part one? So he's got a scene where he's it's Moses with the Ten Commandments, right, yeah, I don't even remember my Bible stories.
Speaker 2: And he's holding three tablets and he goes, I.
Speaker 3: Give to the fifteen Commandments, and then one of the tablets drops and breaks and he goes ten ten Commandments.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 2: That's pretty damn great.
Speaker 1: Okay, take advantage, ill spin the match. You Okay, you're not going to bang your neighbor's wife. You shall have no other gods before me yep, unless he's a political leader. You shall make no idols.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You shall not take the name of the Lord of God in vain, I say g D.
Speaker 2: Probably twenty five times ago.
Speaker 1: Dang it, I didn't know that one keep the Sabbath day holy.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Honor your mother and your father. That's good. You shall not murder, Yeah, you shall not committed ultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor, and you shall not come it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not fine.
Speaker 3: I don't wipe your feet. Always wipe your feet before you walk in. If your feet are muddy, wipe them at the front door. That's like, that's one of them.
Speaker 1: So I want to be clear here. The guy I'm gonna play audio from you is again named James tall Rico. He's a representative of from Austin. He is a Democrat, Okay, he is against this, right, but he is also a Christian, okay, all right. And I do think there's something a little slimy about him. I do feel like there's he's like a lot of TikTok followers, Okay, but he's absolutely dunking on people. But as they were trying to pass this across over the weekend, which is violating one of the commandments, okay.
Speaker 4: The fourth commandment, part of keeping the Sabbath holy, is not working on the Sabbath. Yeah, what day is the Jewish Sabbath?
Speaker 1: It is on Saturday.
Speaker 4: And what day is it today?
Speaker 1: It is Saturday.
Speaker 4: Here we are the Christian Sabbath.
Speaker 1: Is what day Sunday?
Speaker 5: In honor of the day that Jesus rose from the dead.
Speaker 4: And we're scheduled to give this bill a final vote on what day of the week.
Speaker 5: It's ironic, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Would you be willing to postpone your bills so that we're not breaking the Ten Commandments by working on the Jewish or Christian Sabbath. I love that you said that, because you're saying that you'd rather tell people to follow the Ten Commandments than follow it yourself.
Speaker 5: I would rather have had this bill passed the other day when it was time.
Speaker 4: We as a legislature are about to force every teacher in the state to post the Ten Commandments in their classrooms if they are of the Texas legislature, follow the Ten Commandments.
Speaker 5: So again, this bill is about honoring our historical, educational, and judicial heritage.
Speaker 4: The ninth commandment is thou shalt not bear false witness? Are you aware of any legislators who have lied about anything?
Speaker 5: That is? You know you know there there might be one coming up in a minute.
Speaker 1: If you keep talking, we'll see.
Speaker 4: The seventh commandment is thou shalt not commit adultery?
Speaker 1: Yes, do you think that here? That's here's some guy yelled Ken Paxton. He yells at you.
Speaker 4: Do you think that members of.
Speaker 2: The legislature Jeff Passing the baseball writer, do.
Speaker 4: You think that members of the legislature should focus more on trying to follow the ten commandments rather than telling others to follow them? The post?
Speaker 5: I am, I am? You know it is.
Speaker 3: Did you hear that person to the side what their excuse was? Maybe they didn't have them posted.
Speaker 1: Okay, look.
Speaker 2: They're all the worse. This is funny.
Speaker 1: This is funny. And this guy I've seen this guy do stuff like this before though, I mean he's actual, you know, he's elected official. It's not like he's some guy going to city council meetings getting followers. But it always it's got a little smart ass to it, but it is. It's a clear dunk right here. Yeah, like we can maybe not do this on Sunday. Yeah, yeah, you gotta be that smart.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: You mentioned like a lot of people are just kind of like whatever, and For the most part, I'm that, but I don't like. I don't I feel that a separation of church and state is good, and I feel like public schools are funded by the state, and so if we're going to post the Ten Commandments, then we should. If someone that was of a Muslim faith wanted to post something from the Koran, which I don't know anything, I'm not knowledgeable on it, but then I think it should be open for everyone to have their religions posted up there. If we're going to go down the road, like there's a separation in our country because of the Forefathers what they were running from. Over in Europe, there's historical precedent for this. We don't want government to have religion in it because then it can be utilized the way the Vatican does for example. There's a historical reason we don't do this, and now we're going against it. So I don't like all the Hey, we're a constitutionalists and we're patriots, unless we want to bend it for our own personal benefit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when the religion is more about power than it is loved, then we have a problem. I think.
Speaker 3: You know what would be great is if they offered like fifteen minutes every school day for no matter what religion you practice, to have time to practice that religion. And maybe I feel this way because when I was a kid, they built a mosque right by our elementary school. And this is late seventies and there's a lot of Middle East paranoia.
Speaker 2: They came and they taught our school.
Speaker 3: About Islam so that we wouldn't be afraid of the mosque around the corner, and it had an impact, Like I looked at it differently growing up. So I don't know, man, what Texas is just it's just a bunch of people grandstanding and then going against what they say.
Speaker 2: They stand for. It's all politicians. Thank you, KT. That was fantastic work by you.
Speaker 3: Anything fantastic coming up next? What a spectacular weekend we had. Oh my god, let's talk about BFD, let's talk about Choctaw. We'll do it all next in the big finish.