Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: I'm Andy Reesmeyer. Thanks for joining us on this Sunday, March second. It is just past three o'clock here, and I'm so excited for it to be the Oscars. Actually, we had Mike Capes on the last hour. Give it up for Mike Capes. Everybody, can we get a little applause for Mike Capes. He's a funny guy. He's very funny, and I'm excited for him going forward. He's just amazing to be able to make a movie, you know, to have an idea out of nowhere, and then be able to not only during a pandemic and then also a strike, be able to go out there, get the funding for it, funding fall through a couple times, and then get more funding for it, actually make the darn thing, put it together, and then see it out. So Invisible Raptor is the movie something you won't see tonight at the Oscars. Though Harrison Ford he was gonna be presenting, but he was diagnosed with shingles. I gotta tell you, shingles is maybe one of the words. I thankfully have not had it, but everybody who I know who has had it. My aunt had it a long time ago.
Speaker 3: I had it. You had it, yeah, my early twenties. Really. Yeah, so that's how usual.
Speaker 2: Well that's how stressed I was, because you know, it's like you have chicken pox, you have the virus. In my case, a lot of stress kind of like activated it. Oh that was not fun. Everybody who I've spoken to said that it was like the worst pain that they've ever been.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 2: I actually was cursing at the at the doctor that was going to diagnose me, because I you know, I played Doctor Google by that point, right, And I remember like letting out the biggest F bomb because I was in so much pain, and she said, Yep, it's definitely shingles, and I'm like, well obviously, but there were some other words that were in there.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was very painful because you just knew because it And how long did it last? About two and a half to three weeks. Does it come back?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 2: Is that a chance that you could? So if I get stressed too much, it could come back?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thankfully you don't do anything like working in a stressful job. No, of course, not just it's la right, living in a place that is stressful with a lot of traffic and no parking. Yeah, by the way, I'm glad you brought that up. We are still taking calls. You can reach us two different ways one hundred and five to two one KFI. That's one eight hundred five two zero one five three four And let us know what you think the worst parking lot in Los Angeles is. We're just sort of enjoying the couple of days Post American at brands, Memes bracket and CAA bracket.
Speaker 3: They came up with the bracket.
Speaker 2: It's showing we're gonna we are going to crown the worst parking lot in Los Angeles and we can all be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Uh and uh. We're also talking about the oscars.
Speaker 2: We're also talking about LA There's a story that I did earlier this week that I want to go back to because there is an update. It is the story of the epic Sherman Oaks tree House. That's what the La Times called it, an epic tree house. It is really incredible. It's been there for twenty five years and it is going to be torn down. So here is the first little background. Then I'll bring you in on an update. Here in a second econic treehouse in a Sherman Oaks neighborhood celebrated its last few days on Earth Saturday. The owner decided it was time to tear it down after a long legal battle with the city. But as of yesterday it was still there and with it a little bit of hope for its survival.
Speaker 5: This is a town built on creativity, It embraces it. It just seems like you would want to keep things like this up.
Speaker 3: That's owner Rick Polisi.
Speaker 2: He built the three story for his daughters twenty four years ago.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Rick tells me the trouble started when a neighbor got fed up with the attention and reported him. He said, the city is calling it an a to u and then he doesn't have the right permit.
Speaker 3: But Rick says he's been trying to make the.
Speaker 2: Treehouse legal forever, even though the city is not having it.
Speaker 5: Over fifty thousand dollars and it's been going on for seven years. It's a criminal case. We went to the pre trial last month. It was just so frustrating. We did not get to have our say. When we left, I just said I am not going back to this trial. I'll tear it down so that the case gets dismissed.
Speaker 2: If the family held an informal farewell for the treehouse Saturday night, warning it could be torn down this week.
Speaker 6: But an update now.
Speaker 2: Rick says that the office of council member Nthia Rahman has reached out saying that they want to help. He says they said the same thing to him last year, but nothing came of it. He said, it's now a criminal charge, a misdemeanor. And if you posted on any updates, all.
Speaker 3: Right, so here is that update.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is in Sherman Oaks near the freeway, the one to one freeway in Cold Water Canyon. So it's in that neighborhood south of the freeway, and it's you can if you google it, you can see it. It is essentially three stumps or three trunks of trees that Rick Polizzi, who you heard, they're the owner. He and a friend shaved the truncks down and then they built these three decks.
Speaker 3: I mean it's big.
Speaker 2: This thing is three or four stories with a little roof deck on top of it, and you got a good view of the neighborhood. And like he said, it's always just been a place that people have come and hung out. La, as you know, doesn't have a ton of community. These kinds of things are very important to people in places like the San Fernando Valley that's very suburban, and so he always thought it was gonna be great. And like you heard there, a neighbor said no, look, you got to tear it down. They ratted on him, essentially said that they were running a cafe.
Speaker 3: They weren't running a cafe.
Speaker 2: The city got involved, and over a course of seven years now it's to a point where they're saying, look, you've got to tear it down, and there's a criminal charge for a treehouse. Now, as you probably would imagine, most comments on this this video that we did are doesn't LA have anything better to do. There's a lot of that, and there's a lot of and it's a little crass, but a lot of If it was a homeless encampment, it would be allowed to stay.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: He even says Rick pil Isy, the owner, he would like to get it legal and he's trying to figure out it out. The Only Times has an update here. They reached out to the office of City council member Nithia Rahman. She represents Sherman Oaks. She said her office had worked hard with Rick and city departments in the past to try to save this beloved staple of the Sherman Oaks community. That's what she told the La Times. Rick says a year ago her office had reached out and said, we'll do anything to help you make this make sense. We'll try to find a way to get you the right permit. And then nothing ever came of that. And so now, because the latest that we have is that it's still a criminal charge, he says, I don't want to deal with that.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have a misdemeanor.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be convicted of a criminal offense for having a tree house.
Speaker 3: So he's going to tear it down. I believe it is still there.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I went there about a week ago and it was supposed to be torn down last week. But I think all of the media attention has helped to at least maybe buy it some extra time. Another thing it's amazing from this La Times article that I read is that former La Mayor Eric Garcetti and his daughter have visited the tree top hang in the past, so everybody knows that it's cool. Everybody likes it, and you just think someone must be there aware, in the city or at LA Department of Building in Safety to try and make this thing, make make this thing work. The actual chargers were from the City Attorney, Highly Feldstein Soto. Her office didn't respond when The La Times asked for comment KTLA. I reached out through KTLA to try to get a comment from her office. They didn't respond to me. The case is with the City Attorney's office. But and this is again, I'm already bored even just talking about this, because it's so many different departments and it's so hard to just do something. And you look at this and everybody has the same reaction, which is this thing should just be able to stay for a good to make legal. But keep it there because it does it helps contribute to the essence of the creativity of this place. Where I'm from in Indiana, we have a lot of great stuff, but you don't have the kind of quirky, funky strange stuff like this all the time. You got other kind of quirky strange stuff, which we could get into at another time, but you don't have stuff like this. And I think it's a shame. It's a real shame that if this isn't able to be worked out. But hopefully somebody over there is paying attention. And you know, I think that the city, especially post fires, they.
Speaker 3: Need a win.
Speaker 2: It'd be nice for them to be able to get a win. So there, that is all right. Coming up, we're gonna talk a little bit more about those fires before and after on PCH really really very different. Why a lot of that A lot of those homes are still uncleared. There's too much of something that's keeping all of the debris from the Palisades fire and the Eating fires from being hauled out of here by the LA by rather the Army Corps engineers will talk about that plush. We'll check in and see if there's any more calls there as we head into the three o'clock hour here for this Oscar Sunday.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Hey, we have another caller here on KFI. I believe it is Katla's Samantha Cortese who's on the Ones and Twoes.
Speaker 3: Sam, can you hear me?
Speaker 7: I can hi? Andy?
Speaker 3: Hey, how are things going with you? I know you're a first longtime caller, first time listener.
Speaker 7: Hey, congratulations, this is another fun hat to add to the code rack of the employment you have. You know you're doing a great job. Thank you, Sana Kfi And I know this must be very fun for you. So it is great job.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: And and I'm joking a little bit, but I was a little nervous, but I'm really thankful that people have been very nice to me.
Speaker 3: They've been very kind.
Speaker 2: I think we picked some good stories and you know, like you said, it's another way to stay busy here. And truly, what I'm trying to do is at least as far as everybody else is concerned, one up Kirk Hawkins just at one other thing. You know, we've done a lot of the same stuff, but I have not seen him do any radio yet, So you're moved.
Speaker 7: Well, now he's going to because he said that I.
Speaker 2: Should also start selling houses. I feel like this might be not a great time to do that. What do you have to on this Sunday afternoon? Have you got a big Oscars party planned or what's happening?
Speaker 7: No, I'm in the forty percent who hasn't seen any of the astronams. But I did want to call because you said everyone's been really nice. Everyone is responding really well. I also did something this weekend that I've never done before, and I played the role of an auctioneer for a gala hey, and I thought it well, Yes, I thought it went really well until afterward when everyone had suggestions for how I can do it next year. And I'm just you know, maybe right after the show ends. I think you're on for another forty five or so. Everyone's a great job, happy for you.
Speaker 3: Then well they'll start giving me the notes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well that's that's okay, you know, not natural, it'll happen.
Speaker 2: I'm scheduled for today and next Sunday, and if I don't get invited back after that, that's fine. Like I'll never hit my stride, that's okay, you know, I'll go back to my regular job if if that, if it doesn't work out, So tell what hold on Before we go any further here, I want to know more about this auction. And you were an auctioneer. Did you have like a little pattern? Did you like a four? Forty five, five, five, six? Can I do say seven? Did you do any of that?
Speaker 7: So I did my best. This was the Sacred Heart School fundraiser the twenty fourth something like that, and I'm an alumna Sacred Heart in Palm Desert, California, in my hometown, so they asked me to come back host to thank Usually they have that guy, but they didn't this year, and it was up to me, which was incredibly awkward asking people for money who've already, you know, spent hundreds of dollars to be at this event. But when people put their paddles up at the same time, I don't know what to do. I don't know who to call, who to give the thing to, who to give the money to. So I got plenty of suggestions for next year. We did auction off a puppy, which I feel like Peter may not be super no, but the puppy is Pomeranian and went for five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: You're kidding me?
Speaker 7: A little five thousand dollars puppies?
Speaker 3: Is that the going rate for I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've never bought a dog before.
Speaker 7: The name of charity, so I don't really think there's a standard. Wow, right, So I'm told this woman has purchased puppies at this event in the past, and they're in her home with her kids.
Speaker 2: We're with Kati al Samantha Cortese here right now on CAFI. So that you were doing an auction out in the desert and that's where.
Speaker 7: You're from, right, Yes, I'm from Palm Desert's super fun, But hey, Andy, I really just wanted to say how far we've come since the days of KKLA A five Live, the digital show over at KTLA's right, And it's really such a shame that streaming medium never really took off.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that people just don't stream. They just say, I like terrestrial radio, I like cable, but streaming isn't for me.
Speaker 3: No, maybe some other day.
Speaker 2: You know what I think we should do is you know we had Mike Capes earlier on He's a good friend. Next week, with your permission, we should if you're if you're busy, I understand your your big time anchor at KTL.
Speaker 7: I think i'm I'm I think I'm feeling sick.
Speaker 2: Next Sunday, you and Bobby and Robert from five Live should come in here and we should do a little a little reunion.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're gonna make fun of me, but I do actually have a haircut scheduled.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, do you guys hear this? This is what TV people are like. I mean, the cell phone works.
Speaker 7: I'll happily do no. No, I would even move the haircut. I think it's so find five Live and KFI feel like our kindred spirit. Yeah, we look at the news through kind of a different lens, just kind of talk about it like people would in an Uber. I heard you were riding an uber driver earlier, so that was the fun thing to say on the internet and on the radio app.
Speaker 2: On the internet, we're on the radio, Sam, We're fifty thousands.
Speaker 7: I'm streaming through the website.
Speaker 2: I forgot that they do they not? Do they not get AM radio where you are?
Speaker 7: My car is ridiculous. I literally sat in there trying to figure it out. And I guess some new cars don't do AM radio.
Speaker 3: Oh it is really an electric vehicle illegal? Yeah, no, it seems partially, it seems tough.
Speaker 2: But what that means is that when the world ends and the only thing that you can listen to to tell you what you need to do to get out of Dodge is AM radio, all the electric car people are going to be stuck.
Speaker 7: Well, I know that I'll be a fifty eight hundred sonset boulevard.
Speaker 6: Yep, that is all going down.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I so appreciate you calling. You do a fantastic job. You really kept us all safe during the fires, and I'm sure that you have a great future ahead of you, and we'd love to have you back here. We'd love to have you back here next week. Samantha from KTLA everybody where? Can people find you on the internet?
Speaker 7: Thank you can sign me at KTLA Sam on Instagram, But really it's not you.
Speaker 2: Andy.
Speaker 7: Congrat good job having fun listening to you on KFI.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That's very sweet. There, she goes, Samantha, everybody.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being here with us on this Sunday. I got to say an apology to Andrew Caravella. I'm man enough to say it in public on air. I've been saying his name with an O and I am so sorry.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 2: I have a collection of media personalities that butcher my name. Well, you're just the next line up, just another notch in your bedpost. All right, interesting, Okay, Well, we have another caller here, Gary Feed calling us from Oh maha, Bra, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Gary. How you doing.
Speaker 6: Very well? Andy? How are you?
Speaker 3: And well? Gary?
Speaker 2: I know that you are a longtime viewer of five Live. That was the show I used to do with Samantha on KTLA. And you are you're an LA guy though originally right, an Orange County.
Speaker 6: Guy lives in Orange County, Yes, for several years and so forth and up and down the coast actually in California.
Speaker 2: And I know you get back here a lot and you wanted to call and put your two cents in on the worst parking lot in Los Angeles.
Speaker 6: Yes, there is. There is a lot. It's a valet lot, and it's underground. It's over on Orange just north of the Hollywood Boulevard, and it's a one way in, one way out type deal. And you go underground and it's like it's so narrow. I don't know how we get any cars in there without scraping the walls and damaging cars. And then the scariest thing is coming out and hoping somebody is not coming in at the same time.
Speaker 2: Terrible, you know, is it one of those where they have that I never really understood this. The the head in only parking do you know what I'm talking about. Where they say you can only park head and you can't back into the space.
Speaker 3: Is what that means?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 6: And the thing is, though, this is a this is a true valet deal. So you go down about on a one or two levels and then they take your car from you and you climb a stairway coming out in the kind of the plaza area where the where the theater is there? Man?
Speaker 2: Or is that the Hollywood in Highland where you go like six stories down underground?
Speaker 6: Uh? No, no, oranges west of.
Speaker 2: The That one is also. That one is also bad. And I'll tell you what they're there. That one is hot. Andrew's yah. That parking garage is just I've been there. It is a thickly hot the air there is discussing. Well, Gary, thank you for calling. How its thing doing out there in Omaha?
Speaker 6: Not too bad. It's a showy day, but at least it's sunny about fifty five.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for Colin. Thanks for being a fan of this show, being a fan of the other shows too. I really really appreciate it. And it's it's it's wonderful to hear from you, and wonderful to talk to you in person, because I think I only ever knew you on our Facebook group. But thank you for listening, and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Gary.
Speaker 6: There he goes, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Alrighty. How about that Omaha, Nebraska. See, I hope the suits at KFI are listening. We got Reach, Yeah, Midwest, this show is at Reach. We got an Indiana caller. We had a call from Omaha. Yeah, this is what's next. Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oka, l Hma, Nope, can't, can't do it. If you're in Oklahoma, give us a call. The number is twenty hundred five to oh one KFI. That's one hundred and five to oh one five three four. I want to do a quick story here while we still have a little bit of time we do.
Speaker 3: It's about our friend Evan love It. Evan love It.
Speaker 2: You might not know his name, you probably do, but if you don't, he's the guy who does LA.
Speaker 3: In a minute, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Evan love It was the victim of burglary in Los Angeles last night.
Speaker 8: Listen, Hey, I just came home from my son's baseball game tonight to this. We had a break in in our house and luckily everybody's safe, but things were stolen. Clearly, it's safe with everything that my dad gave me after he passed away coins, valuables.
Speaker 2: We didn't preview that clip. Maybe he said this stuff is unnerving, it's not cool. He was a social media personality, of course, behind that popular LA in a Minute podcast. One of the biggest cheerleaders for LA, unfortunately was the victim then of a break in on Friday night. It wasn't Saturday, it was Friday night. He arrived home, like you said, he was at his little league game for one of his first son, and this is in I think we were saying.
Speaker 3: It was in Studio City.
Speaker 2: The glass for his back door was shattered, the safe was missing. You heard him there talking about how awful he feels. And I think one of the biggest things that's wild about this is that he said that he was on hold with nine to one one for nearly an hour. What is going on in this city? What are we doing here? Where you called nine one one? I don't know if I texted him last night and I wanted to get some clarity on this. I don't know if he called and they said, hey, is this like, do you need emergency services right now, or is the danger passed and then they put him on hold, or if nobody even answered, and then he just sat there for forty four I mean, you could have if you were in an emergency where there was somebody who was you know, you needed the police to stop. Forty nine minutes that's too long. And Evan is a big supporter of LA He was an LA Times writer. He's been on KTLA a lot. I believe he does some work for another radio station in town. But you of course know him from his social media posts, which are all about celebrating the culture and the stories of Los Angeles. And the LA Time says, look, we need more people, or the LA excuse me, I's at the LA Times. The Los Angeles Police Department says, look, we need more people.
Speaker 3: To work here for us.
Speaker 2: They acknowledged the department was a victim to understaffing. And it's interesting because it's the same day I believe the breaking happened. If it was on Friday, would have been the same day that Evan did a podcast about the vibe of Los Angeles and the feeling of LA being sad since the fires, how we've all felt a little bit on edge or a little bit like LA doesn't feel like LA, and then for that to happen to him, Oh boy, not good stuff. So lots of love to Evan and hope he can, hope he can feel some kind of safety. You know, you can't get that stuff back. It's not even that it's valuable things, even though there were some valuable things. There are valuables, but like things that come from late family members. Both of his parents have passed away. His items from his wife's grandmother. I mean they took the safe, they took all that stuff.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's gone awful. All right.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we're gonna quiz all of the KFI staff here on how well they've been paying attention during the week.
Speaker 3: It is the weekend News quiz is coming up.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: I'm Andy Reesemeyer. Thanks for joining us here on this Sunday. You made it so easy for me to just pop on in here and say hello, I will be with you next Sunday. Before we go, I wanted to test everybody's knowledge and see how well they've been paying attention. So we've got Andrew Caravella. We've got Robin, We've got Richie, and I believe we.
Speaker 3: Also have Chris Merrill. Is he with us yet? Hey, big hello, big hello to Chris. What's coming up on the big show for you?
Speaker 4: A really big show. Let me talk some of the fires, some of the argument between the mayor and the former fire chief. We'll talk about Newsom's recall, of course, we'll talk la law and we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 4: Let's get coming up just in the first hour alone, and then Pope watch goes on. And it wouldn't be it wouldn't be an entertaining show if we didn't talk about the Oscars happening. Yes, of course, so we got that going on. I do want to warn you, though, when TV people cover the shift that you're in right now, they generally get accosted by what's his name over there? Are gone Carvila.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, stop it, stop it. That fella.
Speaker 4: He's blessing cost you and he will mug you for all the selfies you can.
Speaker 3: You know, a nick watch yourself.
Speaker 2: Swimicello is an incredible news voice, really incredible. Chris, will you join us for this little Oscars game? All right, all right, can we kick off a little bit of music to the set its tone?
Speaker 3: All right, here we go.
Speaker 2: So the way we'll do this is I'll ask a question and then you just shout out your name if you get the answer.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: The very first Oscars was held back in nineteen twenty nine at this iconic Hollywood hotel. It was also the inspiration for Hotel California. Does anybody know isn't that the Beverly Hilton?
Speaker 3: It is not, but you got a shout out your name?
Speaker 2: Oh, Andrew Davis, Chris Merrill, that's me.
Speaker 3: Hey, any other guesses it's the Richie Richie W.
Speaker 2: That was not the W hotel issue was not built nine.
Speaker 3: Rich would say there.
Speaker 2: It's probably one of the most famous hotels in Hollywood. Chie cecil, Yeah, Elizabelt Hotel. Hey, Richie is correct. It's a I don't know if you get a point for that, but it is the Hotel Rosa.
Speaker 3: I had my prom there. Okay, that's good. How'd that go for?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 3: Were you? You were the king?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: I started the prom dance, you started to dance. That's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Next question, what was the first sequel to ever win Best Picture. If you don't Caryl, Chris Merril, He's right. Meryl's points on the board. There all of us quoted this famous line from Sally Field from her speech after rich Meryl.
Speaker 4: You love me, you really love me?
Speaker 2: Almost, Oh, you don't necessarily it's a less less enthusiastic than love Richie, Richie me love you long time.
Speaker 3: That's not even close. Wow, that's not even close. Dark from half a point. I think Merril gets it. It's you like me, you really liked me. I think right.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna have to fact check that. Maybe Meryl gets the full point. He's on the board with two, Ritchie, I guess has one and a half. Let's see what's next. The nineteen ninety nine Oscars face controversy after the Best Picture did not go to Saving Private Ryan. Instead, it went to this Gwyneth Paltrow movie nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Chris Merril, Shakespeare in Love.
Speaker 3: Chris Merrill is killing it. You guys.
Speaker 2: I know, Richie, you were born ten years after that, So that's it's not your fault, all right. And finally, Fade Dounaway and Warren Beatty incorrectly first gave Moonlight's best picture Oscar to what Damien Chazelle film.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a deep cup.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's easy. Andrew Carravell, it's Lala Land. He's right.
Speaker 2: Andrew Carravella gets one point, Richie with one point, Chris with one and because I guess we'll see if we can solidify this. We got a question here that's not related to the Oscars. Oh no, I do have a last the last Oscar question for you. Titanic won Best Picture at the Oscars in nineteen ninety eight. Who was the man of mystery who presented the award?
Speaker 3: Austin Powers for Richie.
Speaker 2: Ritchie, it's we had This is something if you had been listening to the show about an.
Speaker 3: Hour ago, I was taking call, you were taking calls. That's true.
Speaker 2: Does anybody remember he was one of the most famous James Bonds, if not the most famous James Bond Son Connory. That is correct. Andrew Caravella gets that. Okay, we have a tie here. What are we gonna do for a tie? Break all the points? All the points here? Last question. This is from the news this week. A man in Denver was recently caught selling something highly questionable and flammable in large bags. Richie, Richie meth. Oh well, Richie, it wasn't meth. That wouldn't be a news story.
Speaker 3: Give us a hint.
Speaker 2: It's highly flammable and without it you would not be able to park that car in the garage.
Speaker 3: Oh h, gasoline, that's right.
Speaker 2: Hello, we have a tie here, Andrew Caravalen, Chris Merril, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: We so appreciate you guys. I'm Andy Reestmeyer. What's KFI? Stay tuned for Chris Merril
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty on demand