Speaker 1: I just felt like, if I'm Gracie, maybe I have a different reaction to learning that just everybody has lied to me my whole life. And I have a different father. Who's this man named Brian who just showed up today, And I'm a thirteen year old girl. I'm going through a lot of emotions and this man's just standing at a window while I'm dancing, And that's my father, and I'm just riding right now.
Speaker 2: I was not saying it was accurate. I was not saying it was an accurate description of what actually would happen.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the rom com Rewine Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Sarah and I'm Devin, and like you, I love rewatching movies over and over again.
Speaker 1: You're here, you found us, you're listening to us. You probably love romantic comedies, which is great news because we do as well.
Speaker 2: So this is a show where we rewatch rom coms, break them down a bit for you, maybe take a peek behind the curtain, take beneath the surface, and aside does it still hold up today?
Speaker 1: We have oho And the biggest way that you can help support the pod if you're listening and if you like what you're hearing, is for us, fallow on Instagram, at romcom, rewind, or leave a review on whatever platform you're listening to us. Both of these things help more people find us, and we always love to engage and chat with you.
Speaker 2: We have a message from Claire. This is actually off of something that we chatted about last podcast, Devon's what is it reenacting old rom coms into like new versions of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Claire said, love Devon's Nodding Hill sequel, But you'd have to account for the fact that Anna Scott was pregnant at the end of the original movie with Will Thacker's child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's some creative license that we would just whisk away into the into the nether realm.
Speaker 2: She did say it would be interesting for him to go looking for his dad's old flame and find her and his half brother.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, that's better. Never mind, never mind, take it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I do like it. That's good. That's new.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, Claire.
Speaker 1: Aloha is a twenty fifteen rom com directed by Cameron Crowe. We watched this on Netflix's the story of military contractor Brian Gilcrest, played by Bradley Cooper after a freak accident in Afghanistan, and as well he has a history in the armed forces. Brian knabs a job with former employer Carson Welch. Carson also employed him back in Afghanistan, but Carson Waltz played by Bill Murray, Brian accompanies him on a land deal to launch a satellite from Hawaii. That's kind of the setting of our story. Brian has some history here though, history in an ex Tracy played by Rachel McAdams her now husband Woody played by John Krasinski. We learn, and I'm not going to tell you too much about it right now, but there was a little bit of a maybe a gray zone between those two relationships for Tracy, so those two know each other. His former military companions Ainger is played by Danny McBride is here, also General Dixon played by Alec Baldwin, and through his time in Hawaii working with Carson Wilch alongside the military, He's also shadowed by Alison played by Emma Stone. Brian has to contend with his past, reconcile with some of the mistakes he's made, and perhaps find some love along the way somewhere. That's your lead in for Aloha. You can't let one to small mouth out destroy the second chance doesn't want a second chance. Your old boss.
Speaker 3: Wants you back.
Speaker 2: It's Hawaii, our old stomping ground.
Speaker 1: A lalha, Gilcrest, You're back in the game.
Speaker 2: I want to introduce you to your Air Force liaison.
Speaker 1: She's a fast burner a double espresso, sir, I'm so jack, make that a triple the old ex girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Pause for the memories.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember why we broke up because you're a workaholic who creates work to avoid real work.
Speaker 4: Who I'm still working on that direct everything and I put my life back together.
Speaker 1: And of you, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: This movie has a massive and I mean massive cast, yes, but huge, but is somewhat of the most random movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Plot Like it's literally like I found like it's a weird good movie, but there's really nothing to it, and like you leave kind of like you're like, oh, like happy ending, great, but then you're like, what happened.
Speaker 1: I find in this era of rom coms like after like let's say, like the bottom fell out on rom coms in like the early to mid twenty tens. Yeah, we ended up with some of these where.
Speaker 2: It was just kind of like find yourself, yes, yes, and pray love.
Speaker 1: It's exactly. It's almost like rom comms themselves are trying to find themselves. So they ended up making all these very like kind of odd movies where you're like, yeah, this is like there is a plot here, there is a premise, but it kind of just plods along for a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Which it plods along. That's great. Like I love that. I've never heard you say that, but I love it.
Speaker 1: But like, and most of the time it drives me crazy in romantic comedies. This one I actually really loved. But we've done some other ones of this era where it's like, what is happening here? Nothing's happening. I think it's just because I love Emma Stone.
Speaker 2: I think it is because you love them Stone, But I will say I love Rachel McAdams and John Krasinski, Oh, Bradley Cooper too. Like I said, massive cast, I think the the cast I think carried the movie certainly. I think, yeah, I don't know, it's just an interesting take on a few things. But yeah, like it was a good movie again, just plodding along. I love that.
Speaker 1: I can tell I'm gonna like this a lot more than you. And that's okay because I I do see the knits that should be picked in this movie. But like I would say, my best way to describe it is, it felt very breezy.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, crazy, sure, you know, I mean it's in and I should actually look up where the filming of this movie was. But if it wasn't Hawaii, I mean.
Speaker 1: It certainly was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, breezy.
Speaker 1: I have a thing about movies shots and set in Hawaii. Yes it it's oh okay, but yeah, I think thematically musically it hits a lot of those notes. It struck a really nice chord with me. I don't know why I'm doing music puns right now. It just started to happen. But me, but especially like us rewatching this, you know, it's kind of dog days of summer. We're in July. It felt very right and yeah, like should we just acknowledge the there is like a small elephant in the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as soon as like, and I haven't seen this one in a while, but as soon as I rewatched and I was like, oh, yeah, I remember that. That's weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it and and like we're not trying to poke holes that don't need to be poked, I guess, and we're not trying to you know. Uh Slam, a movie that might be very beloved for album, was very criticized. What you need You need to acknowledge that. As much as I love Emma Stone and RCR fam you know, listen to the pod She's on my Mount rushmore of rom com greatness. We have a character in Allison played by Emma Stone and did she talks at length throughout the movie how she is a quarter Chinese and a quarter Hawaiian, to which is inaccurate to who Emmastone is. And that faced a lot of backlash, especially this film came out in an era where like whitewashing in Hollywood was a big topic of conversation, and this was kind of part of that conversation. I mean Sandra Oh a few years later during the words ceremony at the Academy or no it was the Golden Globes she was hosting with Andy Samdberg, and she cracked a joke about this movie alongside like.
Speaker 5: Crazy Occasions is nominates and I Best Picture Musical. It is the first studio film with an Asian American lead since ghosts in Michell and Aloha.
Speaker 1: And you can hear Emma Stone in this clip actually yell from the sidelines because I think she was there for Lawa Land. She's like, I'm so sorry because everybody kind of acknowledged after the fact, like, yeah, that part of this movie did not land well, nor should it have, like with how they did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's it's that, you know, these are fictional characters that are written and then it's casted. There is little to no excuse as to why it wouldn't have been properly casted or you know, written to somebody, you know. I guess the question is did they have Emma Stone in mind or did they have this character written in mind? And so if it's the character written, then you should then cast it appropriately. It's an easy thing to do. And I think I think the writing came under fire for this movie quite a bit. I don't think necessarily that's Emma Stone's fault.
Speaker 1: She has acknowledged herself, yes, that in retrospect she regrets it.
Speaker 2: So I think there's just, you know, accountability to be held in some aspects. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I just completely and a million percent agree with you because the director and a lot of the production staff and people like writers behind the scenes. Apparently their stance was like, listen, we always wrote this character to not look like her heritage. She's a quarter Chinese and a quarter Hawaiian, but like we wrote the character and she didn't look like that. Yeah, and you're like, this is a made up character. You can write them however you want, but like the way you wrote it has made it a problem, then.
Speaker 2: Fulfill it appropriately, exactly, knowledge appropriately, or just.
Speaker 1: Have Emma Stone's character be like I'm from Hawaii. They don't need to have all this huge backstory that causes an issue that, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's controversy exactly, like in this instance is warranted.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean again, we're not this is the only time, well you know, chat about it, but we did want to bring it up that that was something that it bothered me and I know bothered you.
Speaker 1: And and it's funny same as you, like I remember, like as I was rewatching, I'm like, oh, right, Sandra Oh made that joke about this movie at the Awards show, and it kind of was in the zeitgeist of conversation. So that's why we bring it up. We'd be remiss if we did this pod without mentioning that. I mean, as we're going to go through. Like, I thoroughly enjoy this movie, but it's kind of something I think we need to acknowledge upfront for sure. Let's dive in, shall we.
Speaker 2: We meet Brian Gilcrest. He, like you said, was in the military, leaves the military, does private consulting and is now heading back to Hawaii to do a good gate opening ceremony, and is put back on base again, still not back in the military, but working as a consultant on base for this project Brian Lance. He sees an old friend Fingers, and then his ex girlfriend Tracy. He then meets the captain Captain NG, who will be shadowing him and essentially babysitting him while he's on bass.
Speaker 1: Played by Emma Stone. She gives solid Golden Retriever energy when we meet her.
Speaker 2: She has crazy eyes and solid golden retriever energy. Absolutely, she is his liaison. While on base, Tracy, his ex girlfriend, shows up and starts talking to him, and clearly there are definitely things left unsaid between them. Hey, I refuse to talk to you. Who uses pro cap collars?
Speaker 1: Are you okay? That's so good, super super.
Speaker 4: Whody never told me you were coming, sir if I may talk to me? Oh yeah, that's because you do not marrying to him. Hey, I called you five times last year.
Speaker 2: I was worried about you.
Speaker 4: Would you believe I am had of the department.
Speaker 2: I make my own hours. It's not getting more beautiful.
Speaker 1: Last four second, I'm gonna end this.
Speaker 2: And it turns out Woody played by John Krasinski, is Tracy's husband. He's a pilot as well.
Speaker 1: So Sarah big lover of John Krasinsky.
Speaker 2: I have yep, I am huge crush.
Speaker 1: Who is our favorite John Krasinsky? And I'm gonna give you four options.
Speaker 2: I can tell you right now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you four options. There is early Years the Office, so like seasons one to three, seasons three on of the Office. This John Krasinski or Jack Ryan, Jack Ryan, Okay, Jack Ryan.
Speaker 2: I can tell you right now. I love the spy aspect of it all, and it makes him like a hundred times more attractive.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, So John Krasinski selling paper not attractive?
Speaker 2: No, Hey, I mean I could I could watch him watch paint dry. I could watch him watch paint dry. You know, like, Wow, that's a new level that would be appropriate for me.
Speaker 1: You're not even watching the paint dry. We're watching him watch the paint dry. I guess that could be more interesting than watching the paint ry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but yeah, I think that's probably my favorite John because I like, like he had like a little bit of a babyface in the office, but like he's in the Jack Ryan, you know, he's matured. Yeah, he looks very nice.
Speaker 1: He does. Yeah, And in this he looks very nice. And I think at the end of this scene we get.
Speaker 2: I actually like him in his uniform.
Speaker 1: Wow, in this movie, come on, they did that on purpose. Who doesn't like a tall John Krasinski in a flight suit. That's clearly gonna work.
Speaker 2: Totally totally.
Speaker 1: But we do see Woody is his name, that is character. We see him with Tracy and their family, and he's returned home and he you know, kisses his daughter on the forehead and is chatting with his son. And I do think we get a sense as the audience Brian Gilcrest there's something missing in his life and Woody has found what he's missing. Yes, you know, like wood he has the thing that Brian probably subconsciously is yearning for what he's got it all. He still works for the military, he's living in Hawaii, he's got the wife, he's got the kids, he's got the family. He's kind of got it all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Alison NG brings Brian to his hotel. She also has a room in the hotel beside him. She wants to get a drink, but he declines and goes into his room. They're sharing, like I said, rooms beside each other. He leans over or sorry, he overhears Alison on a call with her mother. I guess it's on a frequency of some sort that he can overhear her talking, and it's all about him, basically about how he is a total like.
Speaker 3: Before that all came apart, there is greatness in this guy. Oh a couple of movie He's got kind of like a chili presence, Like you look into his eyes and it's miles of blue. He's just a brilliant, compelling, innovative, commanding, stop freaking wrack of a guy. He's like a sad city coyote.
Speaker 2: So the next day she's all about being his bestie, sucking up to him, and then he starts howling and she realizes he overheard her. Deeply embarrassed about it, they try to get to one of the island communities, but they can't get there, so they take a trail through the jungle and a first glance. When they get there, they aren't welcomed until Brian speaks with the king, but the king won't budge on providing a blessing for the ceremony that's in a few days. They eat in the community and then Brian tries to negotiate, but again the king says no. Brian says the military can give them forty more kilometers of land. He won't do it until he gets two mountains in cell phone service, and that is what is agreed upon. When they leave. The next night, Brian goes over to Tracy and Woody's house for dinner at the captain Captain Ing goes over as well, which I feel like, like, why do you need to go over there? I don't really know, Like, yes, you're his babysitter. I totally get that, but like, you also weren't invited. How did the invitation feats you?
Speaker 1: Oh? You don't like that. Emma Stone was there.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand why she would be there, but like, but it's funny that she was there, Like.
Speaker 1: Why she's got to watch him, She's got to shadow him, so if he goes do an awkward dinner with his ex girlfriend, she's gotta follow along. I guess it.
Speaker 2: Just that was a weird. Again, there are pieces of this movie that are just like there and they just happen and you're like, okay, like what he doesn't speak through the whole movie essentially, like John John Krasinski's character maybe has like I don't know, ten sentences in the entire movie. Yeah, half of them are unspoken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Like, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just such a bizarre aspect to the movie. It is my best scene at the end.
Speaker 1: But oh that's your best scene.
Speaker 2: Interesting, but it was just such a funny, like interesting take to the movie. Again, Alison ing joining this family close dinner, Yeah weird.
Speaker 1: I do agree. Like the woody John Krasinski thing, like he never talks is something you could have explained in dialogue, like Tracy is in this scene divulging all these feelings to Brian and you know, rehashing they why they weren't working out. But she could have just said, like wood he never talks to me. He doesn't talk about my feelings. Instead, like we had to really let the audience know, like he doesn't talk so much that you're never gonna see him talk, Like really, is that what we're doing?
Speaker 2: And at one point they have subtitles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at one point near the end there's subset at.
Speaker 2: Any way, it's just a little bizarre. The kids can totally tell that their mom Tracy has a little bit more pep beinner step with Brian.
Speaker 1: There yea.
Speaker 2: He finds an old photo of Tracy and realizes that it's one that he's actually in and then it's been folded over and goes back into the room and grabs a beer. And you can tell that there is still something between them and that it's not resolved. And I think Tracy would genuinely leave Woody if if the cards were on the table. She realizes that she doesn't have everything she wants with Woody. We find out that they broke up because he didn't show up for their vacation and he and Brian felt that it was an ultimatum. She tells them that they really needed to talk and that they had a lot to go through. She tells him that she really did love him Wood. He comes into the kitchen, doesn't say a word, but comes up to Brian, grabs his shoulder and says everything without saying a word. Just his body language tells Brian everything he needs to know, and Tracy just yeah. He says a lot without actually saying anything and basically says, yeah, you missed out. I got her welcome to my home.
Speaker 1: And I did get that for the great acting sad me too, I did get that, like the gist of what he was getting at.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Later on, they go to a holiday party that same night and something seems.
Speaker 1: To be up my best SA.
Speaker 2: So there's like there's a few people that Ran interacts with throughout this movie that our old friends are old consulting buddies, and you can just kind of tell from the room that there's something else more to this satellite than what meets the eye.
Speaker 1: Well, sir, are you talking about us meeting Alec Baldwin here?
Speaker 2: Alec Baldwin. We meet Alec.
Speaker 1: Baldwin outside of the of the Officers Club, and that's where the thing's happening. Actually, you know what, why don't we play a game real quick?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Because now I think we've introduced every main character in our movie. We have Danny McBride, don't forget about him. Yeah, but like Emma Stone, Bradley Cooper, John Krazinski, Rachel McAdams, Bill Murray, Alec Baldwin, this is a stack, Like.
Speaker 2: I said, huge cast, massive, Sarah.
Speaker 1: I've got a question for you, and I'm not talking about because we normally do like who's had the best movies? And that's very it's very hard to pin down who's had the best career. I want to ask you this group of talent has many accolades, who do you think has the best awards resume? Because because some of these people have gun on to do amazing things, some of these people had already done amazing things as of this movie coming out. Who would you say, is your your number one?
Speaker 2: Think Emma Stone is the only one with a Academy award?
Speaker 1: No? Is that your final answer? No? Putting Emma Stone on the board at NUMBERO.
Speaker 2: So are we talking like overall awards for the whole career?
Speaker 1: I'm talking no, no, no, I'm talking what you're talking like highlights? Give me like how many.
Speaker 2: Okay awards stolen globes?
Speaker 1: I think Emma Stone is a two to Bradley Cooper's number one. I think Emma Stone has two Academy Awards, two British Academy Film Awards, two Golden Globes. Yeah, and she was Time Magazine. Uh oh, she was the highest pid actress in twenty seventeen and was on the one hundred Most Influential People in the World and now the Tale of the Tape for Bradley Cooper. He also won a baff up. He won two Grammy Awards.
Speaker 2: What oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been nominated for twelve Academy Awards. I don't think he's ever won.
Speaker 2: No, right, she's the only one.
Speaker 1: Six Golden Globe Awards, and he has a Tony and he was Times list of one hundred most Influential people in the world back in twenty fifteen. So I mean, if you're talking just Academy Awards, she's got two. Yeah, he's got a lot of nominations. But yeah, now I'm gonna give you Alec Baldwin. He has not a nomination for an Academy Award, a BAFTA and a Tony. He's got three Golden Globes. Oh, and he has three Primetime Emmy Awards. Sorry, thirty Rocks is probably the show that that probably or maybe is Donald Trump impressions on us. Now, I don't know if they just give those for one ops interestin Bill Murray.
Speaker 2: However, that was going to be my other one. Bill Murray was going to be my other top.
Speaker 1: He's also got a lot, He's got a Bafter Award, he's got two Emmys, he has a Golden Globe.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's so she's not the only one, can't got it?
Speaker 1: Well, well, oh, the Academy still doesn't have an Academy Award, though she has a nomination for Lost in Translation, but he never won, and John Krasinski also does not have an Academy So she's the only she's the only.
Speaker 2: Winner Academy Award winner two.
Speaker 1: And you are yelling at your pod saying, what about Rachel McAdams. Yes, yes, she also has a nomination for an Academy Award, Screen Actors Guild Award, Critics Choice Awards. She yeah, she has, funny enough, not been the most awarded person.
Speaker 2: Which is amazing to me because she's I think she's a phenomenal actor.
Speaker 1: She's so good, so good. Yeah, so you're probably right, it's Emma Stone, and then a close second is Bradley Cooper, which is I find out fascinating because all of this would have happened after this movie came in twenty fifteen, right, probably because The Star Is Born was twenty eighteen. Land was around the same time, like just a couple of years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, that's very cool. Thank you for that highlight for sure.
Speaker 1: And then we've got my best scene is just the zaniness of this party. So we have you know, Tracy's in there with Woody, Alison and Gilchrest are also there. They're grabbing beverages and whatever, and there's like a little secret meeting that happens with Bill Murray's character and Bradley Cooper's character in the hallway and he gives him like a little flash drive and he's like, you're the only one who knows this. It's stuff about the satellite kind of what you were alluding to, Sarah. But my favorite thing about this scene is after that, everybody's in this room, all of these high powered actors, and we get a scene where it's Bill Murray and Emma Stone dancing like having a mini dance off hilarious. Rachel McAdams is in the corner with John Krasinski still, Bradley Cooper's kind of just watching from the bar, like it's almost like a fever dream. I'm like, is this happening? Yeah, like all this is happening, and they're getting with Bill Murray dance off right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean I would yeah, like if Bill Murray was like, hey, let's get to the dance where I'd be like, yeah, sure, like let's go dance.
Speaker 1: It's a very Bill Murray thing to happen. But it feels weird in this in this movie, you know, it's like, Okay, we're doing this now. Interesting well, and it was.
Speaker 2: And I think the only reason why they really did this part of the scene was because earlier on in the movie they had prefaced the fact that she used to dance, right, yeah, but how did he know that she used to be such like he goes up to her and goes, I hear you have great dancing skills, Like how would he know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They do talk about how she's kind of like a hot shot, like an up and comer in the military there in Hawaii, but I have no idea, right.
Speaker 2: Like there's just some funny things that kind of just happen, and they just happened.
Speaker 1: I also the scene right before that, before Gilchrist goes into the hallway, he has an interaction with Alec Baldwin's character and Baldwin's character goes up to the DJ. Oh I forgot the best part of my best scene. All this is happening and Danny freakin McBride is the DJ, and you're just like, what is going on? It's like a Santa hat. You're like, this is strange. Alec Baldwin's character is like, hey, turn on so good Tears for Fears. Everybody wants to rule the world, which I think. I think like in fifty years, we're still going to be playing this song because I think it's still continued to be so relevant and this scene, I think that was a really cool like song to have in this scene because we're about to have an interaction in the hallway. Clearly, Bill Murray's character Welch is kind of like an Elon Musk type a villain. He's the villain, but he's very suave and a lot of people, a lot of people are illusioned by the fact that he's the villain. Maybe, Oh, absolutely, We've got the general over here playing everybody wants to rule the world like it feels very.
Speaker 2: Dangling a carrot in front of them and all they want is what he can give them.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, very very fascinating song to be played there, and it's been used a lot in pop culture lately too, which I like.
Speaker 2: I do love when a song can play what is exactly happening exactly without actually having too. You know, there's Woody who doesn't talk in this movie, and then there's this song that says so much by just playing it at this point in time and in the movie totally. Yeah. So later on that evening, Allison comes over to Brian's hotel room. They talk about the sky and everything, and then they end up sleeping together. Bang Captain ang Or. Allison goes over to Tracy and Woody's house to thank them and sees what their son had been filming in the middle of the night, and goes to resign to her superior and is told that the whole thing is being run by private money, global one company. She asks how much Brian knows and Finger says he probably knows enough, which really disappoints her. The next day, she meets for lunch with Brian, and Brian's totally like, I'm all in, I bought you this cute hat explains what it like, you know that he wants to be a couple with her, He is just like a goner. Then she says that she knows what he knows, and he still doesn't get it. Then he finally gets it. They argue, saying that he lied to the Hawaiians and that he is a lost individual.
Speaker 1: And back to my best scene, like including the hallway scene with Welch and Brian, Welch does reveal something that I think speaks a lot to Brian's character and that in his previous role with Welch he was skimming money off of a deal with people from Afghanistan. So we do get a sense from his character that maybe he's morally great ambiguous exactly, and this kind of speaks to that that you know, I mean, granted, he just learned this knowledge that something Shadey's going on with the satellite, but still it speaks a lot to his character that the ends justify the means, I think, and Allison's not down for that.
Speaker 2: Back at Tracy and what he gets home. There's distance between him and Tracy. He blames it on Gilcrest, but Tracy says, you know, we had problems before Gilcrest even came back. You don't want to talk to me. He tells Tracy that he's gonna leave. He leaves and starts trashing Santa in his front lawn. Tracy and her daughter Gracy I know. They go see Brian. She wants to talk to him about stuff, and she says, you know, we have to talk. We have to clear the air with certain things that we didn't get to talk about thirteen years ago. And he said, I think it's probably something that I already know. And she says, we'll just say it because I've been keeping this secret for thirteen years. And he says, let me put it this way. It's Father's Day. Do I celebrate or not? And she says, you celebrate.
Speaker 1: What a reveal.
Speaker 2: We find out that he is the father of Gracy and that she's been the only one to know for the past thirteen years. And she also tells him that Wood he left. I don't know, you just kind of read the room and then she just leaves. You just like drop this bomb. Wood he left and you leave, Like it was just kind of like, are you gonna wait to see what he says, or like is he interested? Maybe not? Do you want him to be interested? Maybe not anymore? Maybe you've you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think she had let go of him, but that, yeah, that thing of like but he's the father of my daughter has been and I think that's all she wanted to do, like I just want to tell you this, and that's massive.
Speaker 2: You kind of get some foreshadowing at the beginning of the movie. I don't know if you caught this, but in their very initial conversation in the kitchen when they're arguing about why he didn't show up to the vacation, Yes, she does say we had things we needed to talk about.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I was talking about a different line, No.
Speaker 2: She says, you know, I loved you so much, and she said I wanted to talk. I wanted I wanted to go away with you. We had things we needed to talk about.
Speaker 1: See, there was.
Speaker 2: A gets something to tell you, is what she said.
Speaker 1: There was a different line that I caught as well, where Brian is, you know, talking about Tracy's kids and he's like, wow, you know, Grace is just so beautiful and and she says, luckily she got my looks. And I I took it as like that would be a weird dig against Woody, her husband, So like it's a weird thing to say to somebody. John Krasinski's a good looking guy, so we can only assume like that's a jab at her real father, mister Gilcrest.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so we go to the gate blessing. Brian and Allison get called away quickly because the rocket has to be launched imminently because there is a hack coming in from China and they need to make sure that the hack doesn't go through and that they launch it before the data is corrupt. Brian realizes that he can't live with him doing this by launching this satellite into the air knowing that there are weapons on board destroys the satellite with sound. Would the cacophony of sound have a video in it too? Like That's what I think is hilarious, is yeah, when they're so okay when they released this sound from this other satellite that's up there, it's supposed to interact with this Brave Angel satellite that they've put up there with weapons, et cetera. Et cetera. And it's supposed to basically blow up the satellite with all of this sound, every piece of sound at every single frequency ever known to man, all at once. But the funny part, in order to show that happening, they also show all of the videos that are attributed to the sound. And it's a cacophony of sound. But it's just you also get the video. You'd never get the sound and see the videos. It's they're not one and the same.
Speaker 1: Also, another thing that just bugged me a little bit about this And you know what, like I said, knits to pick about this movie. I actually really love this movie. But as soon as I saw that, my first thought was, everybody knows sound doesn't travel in space. Guys. That has been proven time after time. It's the vibration of atoms in the air, in the atmosphere. So there's like assuming that satellite has reached orbit and now he's hitting it with this ooh this sound thing that I developed. Sound doesn't travel in space. Though I'm not a smart guy, okay, r cr fam, I'm not, Oh my god, but this is stuff you can easily google. It's yeah, yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Thought that scene was very funny, but I know that they needed to show, you know, a movie in a movie what was happening, and that was the best way that they could. But it's just something that caught my eye again and I was like, I don't think that's a real thing. But the satellite explodes and he leaves and tells Alison that it's over between the two of them. He is going to be, you know, a toxic person and he can't be tied to her or sorry, she can't be. No, he can't be tied to her because it will ruin his career, ruin her career. Sorry. So Carshson, the villain in all this who owns the rocket, meets Brian Gilcrest at his hotel and basically says he's not going to get away with this. Gilcrest meets with the General afterwards and starts getting yelled at, and he tells the general this was bigger than you think it was. There were weapons on this satellite. But the General doesn't believe him because again that carrot dangling in front of them. They were going to get a new base. They were gonna get all these new things with Carson's money.
Speaker 1: Alec Baldwin, a great infuriated actor, like when he's really angry and just flying off the handle. He's very compelling. A great scene with him just just going off the rail. Yeah, losing his mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: General always speaks first.
Speaker 2: I don't say a word.
Speaker 1: You let him say what he has to say. You sit there, you take it. Hopefully the holiday spirit will have him in a good mood.
Speaker 3: Have you New Years?
Speaker 1: General?
Speaker 2: Happy New Year? And the General is here?
Speaker 3: Your death?
Speaker 1: Why, well, I remember the good times. There were no good times.
Speaker 2: Gilchrest goes over to Tracy's and she says, you know you did something to impress a girl, didn't you. And he says, yes, but I did get the girl. I let her go. Turns out that Woody in this instance, Tracy shares with Gilcrest that Woody wrote Tracy a letter, and oh my gosh, I like this was a little bit of a weep warning, a little bit a little I love Regional Gonds and I love John Krasinski. He says, I just.
Speaker 4: Hated the way you changed when Gilcrest came back to town. But I don't like to hate. It's bad for my brain. Every night when I come home, I start fresh. I don't bring what happens up there down here. I may not be the original owner of your heart, but I am the better owner and much healthier option too.
Speaker 2: I may not be the original owner of your heart.
Speaker 1: Oh so sweet, so sweet, so real so And I think that's such a relatable moment because I feel like so like everybody has a first love of fling that just kind of flames out, you know whatever, And uh yeah, I think that's a very relatable kind of thing to have in this movie of you know, there's Gilcrest over here, who, yeah, at the time, was not the right choice for even though she loved him Wood. He is absolutely the right owner of her owner.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah. Tracy tells Brian to go and find Alison ng that she lit up his sky wood. He gets home and Gilcrest is there. This is my best scene and he tells him without any words that he knows that he's Gracie's father. That gives him a big hug, and that he wants his family back Wood. He unspokenly asks Gilcrest if he slept, if he slept with his wife. Brian tells him no, he slept with ing. Again, massive massive hug. Gilcrest goes to the bar to see the general again in some of his military buddies and says, oh my gosh, Gilcrest, you were right, there were weapons on the satellite.
Speaker 1: We know you were doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, but because of his reputation, nobody took him seriously. Gilcrest goes to find Allison and he says.
Speaker 1: I want to know what you were like growing up.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite pair of shoes, what.
Speaker 1: Was your favorite cereal? What's the first car? Evertrow?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just getting started here. I know everything about you.
Speaker 3: Why are you still here?
Speaker 4: Wherever you're flying, come back, I'll be waiting for you.
Speaker 3: Ton words, it's a lot more than five prograss.
Speaker 4: I love you, Allison.
Speaker 2: You're heading out on another adventure. I will be here when you get back, and I love you, so he tells her.
Speaker 1: He says, I love you, and oh my gosh, Like I haven't really talked about the charm of Emma Stone throughout this movie, but I just I just want to make sure before we move on to other things. What a charming, lovely actress like. I just I love everything of Emma Stone, and even this character is kind of quirky, kind of like a little Golden Retriever better at the.
Speaker 2: End of the movie. Oh, I think she grows as a person as well throughout the throughout the movie and in the four days that this is spans Golden Retriever to like, I don't know, a trained Golden Retriever.
Speaker 1: See. I loved her as the Golden Retriever untrained. I thought she was brilliant and uh, yeah, by the end of this I think she's just yeah, she's she's great.
Speaker 2: I love how this movie ends, though. I like that, yes, he has he has I think fulfilled what he is looking for in life, so finding you know, alison ing, but also finding and coming to terms with that. He's also a father. So it ends with him going to see Gracie's hula class and Gracie realizing in that moment that he is her dad. She starts crying happy tears, and she runs out to hug him, and that is how it ends.
Speaker 1: You liked how this ended?
Speaker 2: I did? You didn't. I think I think it was like him fulfilling all aspects of things missing in his life on all levels, and that yes, this is a rom com, but also it fulfilled him in the family aspect as well. By finding his daughter.
Speaker 1: I just felt like, if I'm Gracie, maybe I have a different reaction to learning that everybody has lied to me my whole life. And I have a different father. Who's this man named Brian who just showed up today, And I'm a thirteen year old girl. I'm going through a lot of emotions and this man's just standing at a window while I'm dancing, and that's my father and I'm just riding right now.
Speaker 2: I was not saying it was accurate. I was not saying it was an accurate description of what actually would happen Hollywood. But the way they've already written this movie, it kind of went with this what was plotting along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, You're right. I just she ran out, and I'm like, oh, is she gonna confront him? No, cries, hugs him, goes back to dancing, happy tears, and like, I mean, I feel like it would actually be a little different in real life. But okay, I think she.
Speaker 2: Too, though felt that there was something missing, but yeah, like I think I think. And actually, another note, they never really truly addressed all of the footage that the Little Boy took throughout this movie. That's a great point, say, like when he is definitely not allowed into those buildings and the footage that he takes is highly confidential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great plot holes, Sarah, because when Gilcrest was like, oh my life's over, it's like, well, just grab the footage from the kid. It's all on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, just like funny things, right, Like it's like, why have this kid take video of it when it's not going to be addressed further than Alison finding it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wouldn't Alison bring that up the chain? You're right and you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, just like interesting things.
Speaker 1: Quick facts.
Speaker 2: Among the massive trove of leaked that were released in twenty fourteen after Sony's computer systems were hacked were some that revealed that Sony executives were extremely critical of this movie's quality and pessimistic about its box office prospects long before it was films were released. In one of the emails, Amy Pascal, the co chair of Sony Pictures Entertainment, wrote that many aspects of this movie's characters and plot made no sense. I'm never starting a movie again when the script is ridiculous and we all know it. I don't care how much I love the director or the actors. It never, not once ever works. As much as I want movies to release, this is way worse. At least the marketing departments at both studios have something to sell that looks big and glossy. We have this movie in for a lot of dough and we better look at that. Scott Ruden didn't once go to set or help us in the editing room or fix the script.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, remember when the Sony leaks happened, like so much stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean she's not wrong. Is the thing? Like that's a tough email to get out to public, but like it made twenty six million dollars on a budget of thirty seven And she's right. You have all these big names, you have Cameron crow a massive director. But like there's there's some things in this film that, like she said, doesn't necessarily make sense.
Speaker 2: Bumpy who is the King is the Hawaiian nationalist leader and Tittler head of State of the Group Nations of Hawaii In real life. Ben Stiller and Reese Witherspoon were both attached to star in this movie, but left due to scheduling conflicts. Cameron Crowe then spent four years rewriting the script, making the characters younger. A quote from doctor Peter Venkman Bill Murray's character from Ghostbusters from nineteen eighty four, Let's show this prehistoric be how we do things downtown, can be heard during the audio montage from.
Speaker 1: The satellite Oh That's Funny.
Speaker 2: On June second, twenty fifteen, director Cameron Crowe apologized and piece written for his blog The Uncool for what he described as an odd or misguided casting choice, having Emmastone played a character whose father is half Chinese and half Hawaiian. He took full responsibility for the presentation of the character after the film caused controversy and criticism for presenting a whitewashed version of Hawaii and its residents. In early twenty twelve, Ellen DeGeneres bumped into Emma Stone before she had officially met her and Cameron Crowe at a restaurant and said, whatever you two do, it'll be great. At the Christmas party. In the movie, some of the Air Force personnel can be seen playing a game of crud c rud on the pool table, a game awe often played by both Canadian and American military personnel, where two teams throw the balls by hand at a target ball. One of the songs playing during the satellite sequence is the theme from Stripes from nineteen eighty one. Rachel McAdams previously auditioned for a role in Cameron Crowe's previous feature We Bought a Zoo from twenty eleven. This reunite It's Bradley Cooper with Rachel McAdams after Wedding Crashers, and it also reunites Emma Stone and Bradley Cooper after The Rocket from two thousand and eight. This is Alec Baldwin's second time to be in a Crow film, after Elizabethtown came out in twenty two thousand and five. Early on, Bradley Cooper tells Emma Stone an anecdote involving comic books. Both have played in the Marvel Cinematic universe. Bradley Cooper played Rocket Raccoon and Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and Emma Stone plays Gwen Stacy in The Amazing Spider Man in twenty twelve and The Amazing Spider Man two in twenty fourteen. This is the third time Emma Stone has been in a film with one of the stars of the Office She previously appeared in Crazy Stupid Love with Steve Curll, and The Rocker in two thousand and eight with Rain Wilson, and then this movie, of Course with Jim Albert. Yes, Emma Stone's character was originally called Lisa.
Speaker 1: Honorable mentions.
Speaker 2: Go, ah, this is the second movie. I'm going to say the cast, but I don't know, you know what, it's funny because I haven't seen Bill Murray in a movie in a really, really, really long time. His characters the villain was fun. You're gonna say am Stone, But I mean, do I like John Krasinski's ability to say nothing and get the points across?
Speaker 1: Kind of I'm not gonna say, am A Stone. Come on, an honorable mention can't be the star of the movie. The honorable mention this time around is the setting of Hawaii, which was such a big part of the premise of the story. So many of our plot lines go through the fact that this is Hawaii and our characters are Hawaiian. So I have for you, Sarah, I want the ranking, oh of best movies either filmed or based in Hawaii. Oh goodness, I'm gonna give you, like, like, let's say, like a top seven and you hit me with like your one, two three, all right, because we got some biggies. Okay, some biggies out of nowhere. Let's put this one on the list.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But let's also say hey forgetting Sarah Marshall. Set in Hawaii, yep, just go with it. Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston, Swai Sandler, Soul Surfer, I know you love it. Oh, set in Hawaii, obviously soul Surfer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who's that with.
Speaker 1: Anna Sophia rob Oh, I've never seen it. It's the one where she, I mean, this is gonna be tough, but like I'm pretty sure she gets her arm bitten off by a shop. Oh yes, Oh wow, I thought you loved that one for some reason. Crash. Okay, hey, stop reading what I'm reading.
Speaker 2: But that's what the movie I love is. I love Blue Crush.
Speaker 1: Reading my notes here, fifty first dates.
Speaker 2: Oh, another Adam Sandler movie.
Speaker 1: Like a huge Adam Sandler we're ignoring like The Pearl Harbors and stuff like that. So I'll also put The Descendants with George Clooney on there. But I don't know if you've seen that one. No, okay, let's put it on the list, because that's a good one. Finding o'hanna as well is pretty good. Give me your top three.
Speaker 2: Though, okay, Sarah forgetting Sarah Marshall, Fifty First States, and Blue Crash. Like it because they show a lot of a lot more of Hawaii than some other movies, right, I see a lot of the bass in Aloha. Yes you do, but you don't see like you know, there's certain pieces to the movie that you get to see a little bit more of of Hawaii at the Island.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like it a lot. What should have been? I think, like for my what should have been, we've we've discussed the situation with some of the characters and how they are cast, so I don't feel the need to go over it again. But that would be my what should have been. Either change the background of the characters or alter who you're casting. That's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. I would agree with that. I'm not going to say the same like I do wholeheartedly agree with that. I think either have John Krasinski talk or don't. I don't know, like pick one, you know, I just like, you know, like you didn't need subtitles, just have him have dialogue, Like give him a few lines. He's fully capable.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's great, he's right, he'll do it.
Speaker 2: They prepped him for that movie that you can't talk because the aliens will get you or the monsters will.
Speaker 1: Get Oh A quiet place, quiet place.
Speaker 2: They prepped him for that. With this movie, you know that he.
Speaker 1: Wrote I a whole I just realized, Uh, you made a mistake in your quick facts, because you talked about all the characters who have been in the Marvel universe. Yes, Bradley Cooper. Yeah, did you say Rachel McAdams. No, No, because she's in Doctor Strange. She is.
Speaker 2: But I was talking about how there's a conversation that occurs where there's an anecdote that Bradley Cooper has or I should say Gilcrest has with in this movie, and that ties that they've been in it. But if we're talking in grand scheme of things, yes, you're correct, Rachel McAdams is in Doctor Faulty Universe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so is John Krasinski.
Speaker 2: What does he play?
Speaker 1: He is mister incredible, right, mister fantastic, Sorry, mister incredible. It's not Pixar. He's mister fantastic. He is read the leader.
Speaker 2: Of right the fantastic four.
Speaker 1: Look at that he turns into Swiss cheese in front of uh scarlet Witch. But you know we're getting off on a tangent of marvel stuff rewatchability.
Speaker 2: So my rewatchability is as follows. Chemistry three point nine, storyline two, there's factor four point seven, imagination two point seven five, soundtrack four cheese three for an overall score of three point three nine out of five.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got I've got a slightly similar Okay, I've got slightly similar scores. I've got chemistry a little bit lower than you. A three point three five for chemistry, storyline two point nine to five, first factor four point seven nine. I totally agree the first factor across this movie is fantastic. I did have the imagination a little higher than you three point four to four. I feel like it is a fairly unique movie. Yeah, I feel that way. Four point twenty five for soundtrack. Amazing soundtrack on this and a cheese three point one five. So I feel like I was just a little bit higher than you on everything, which makes sense because my overall score is a three point hold on I lost it real quick three point sixty five out of five This has been the rom comedywind up. Aloha. Wherever you're listening to us, throw us a follow. Make sure if you've heard anything on the pod that you want to talk more about. Absolutely, Sarah responds to one hundred per center of our dms on Instagram at romcom rewind.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.