Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive Helping Guardians fans say hundreds on Car Insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rose and Auce along with you from downtown Cleveland and Progressive Field. Great to be home for a show for the first time in a little while. Good show lined up for you today. As coming up a little bit later on in the program, Stephen Osterer, the vice president of Player Development, will have a full farm report focusing in on TRIPAA Columbus. This week. We'll also hear from Dodgers manager and former Cleveland Indian Dave Roberts with some good memories of his time here in Cleveland. We'll visit with NASCAR driver Ty Dillan who has a Cleveland connection, and also here from Jose Ramirez and the inspirational story of pitcher nick Enright. But first, our weekend review, and it begins well with a series against the Dodgers that was not going well the first two nights, the Dodgers heavy winners seven to two and nine to five. The final scores Dodger victories, Otani hitting home runs in each game and just too much for the Guardians to handle until Wednesday. That's when Cleveland jumped on top of the first inning a double from on Hell Martinez brought Jose Ramirez to the plate, sitting on a twenty game hit streak and looking to extend it.
Speaker 1: Michael Brantley had a twenty two game hitting streak in twenty twelve, and nobody has had a twenty game hit streak since that time until Jose here in twenty twenty five. He drives one the left down the line, fair ball, base it into the corner. He's on his way a second in the score. Martina's feet first slide tag not in time. Rojas thought he got the tag on him. Won nothing Cleveland. Jose Ramirez now with a twenty one game hitting streak.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, on the mound for the Guardians, who was kolbe Allard getting the spots start and he answered the call down.
Speaker 1: The wind in the O two swung broken bad roller up the middle to his right, Banken Sneenan throws across the body got him. Bat went as far as the baseball and Kobe Aller dazzling through three, but that high power Dodgers offense got it going with two runs in the fourth, another in the sixth, and one more in the seventh and made it a four to one LA lead the Guardians, though we'll get one of those runs back. In the bottom half of the seventh, Jose Ramirez, with a two out double, brought Carlos Santana to the plate. The high hold by Trevino and the delivery swung on a rocket to right base it near the line. A sliding cutoff by Hernandez in front of the warning track holds Santana to a single, but Ramirez will score and the Guardians won. Two punch of Ramirez and Santana combining for six hits, Santana with his twenty eighth RBI and Cleveland now trailing at four to two.
Speaker 2: It was still four to two in the eighth thenning when the Guardian's got something going. A pair of singles from John Kenzie, Noel and Will Wilson followed by a walk to Daniel Steamen that loaded the bases for Nolan Jones.
Speaker 1: Now the one two swung on grumble in the whole basin in the left, Noel scores, Wilson coming around third, he will score.
Speaker 3: We are tied at four.
Speaker 1: Nolan Jones a three hit game. He just punched it through the left side of the infield and the fifth blown saved for Tanner Scott and his day is done.
Speaker 2: And then after a pitching change for the Dodgers, on Hell Martinez stepped in with two men on banning right handed on Neil Martinez pants three forty six, left handed two forty five. He's batting right handed.
Speaker 3: The pitch swung on trill deep what field A way back, go, on Helm Martinez.
Speaker 1: They will take a joyous stroll around the basis. A three run bullet to the bleachers and left, and the Guardians leaded seven to four on a five run.
Speaker 2: Eighth inning, and in the ninth the annual Classe was on for the save on field a bit toward right for Hernandez. Class as ready, here it.
Speaker 1: Comes, swinging in the best ball game, A wicked slider away Class A wipees on Hernandez and one of the bigger wins of the season for Cleveland five in the eighth and they stun the Dodger seven to four.
Speaker 2: Off Day Thursday for the Guardians, and then Friday, No, the Angels were too much to handle in a four to one Los Angeles win at your weekend review. Stay with us when we come back. We'll visit with Pose Ramirez. That's next Don the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio on that board.
Speaker 4: Progressive knows when you're on your boat, you're already on vacation, and vacation you forgets all your worries. Vacation you doesn't even keep track of time and knows that time is a meaningless construct designed to control us man. But regular you knows you don't want to be too far out in the water after the sun goes down because of vacation you doesn't know how to navigate in the dark.
Speaker 5: Yet, Vacation you.
Speaker 4: And regular you really need to get on the same page. So bundle your boat with your Homer Auto policy and in an automatic discount from Progressive and spend the savings on the both of you. Progressive costal the insurance company if we had another insurch not available in all states or situations.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, Jim Rosenhouse along with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland, where the Guardians are taking on the Angels this weekend. One of the hot hitters for Cleveland is it any surprise that Jose Ramirez he has had a tremendously hot stretch and we had a chance to catch up with him about a week ago with translator Augi Rivero, and he talked about some of the keys to getting on a roll like he is right now.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, my hon.
Speaker 6: I mean that those are things that you don't have control over. I feel like you always have to have the same control this in preparation over you routines and your preparation, and then the results sometimes come with you. So this time we're lucky that we're getting the results that we want. But that's something you cannot control.
Speaker 2: And as the years go by, obviously other teams they focus on you and they don't pitch you the same. How do you manage to still get good pitches to hit and do damage?
Speaker 6: It was the same Also the adjustment that they make. I try to make the same adjustment as well, And it comes down to the focus, the focus that I see the warehold they're attacking for me, also being able to put a good trend in that different type of way they attack me.
Speaker 2: Is it hard to stay patient in spots like that?
Speaker 6: YEFF think it's difficult. That's a real difficulty. Always you're trying to find the way the pitches are again to do damage. You know they're not going to come with the fast fall middle and that I.
Speaker 3: Like to hit.
Speaker 6: But that's that's part of the challeng Just get to find a good pitch and be able to execute it. And that's part of the again because they don't want to find ways, but also I have to find ways how to create some damage.
Speaker 2: Jose Ramirez joining us and OSEI, we wanted to have you on to talk about a milestone that you reached, and there's so many that have been coming in recent years, but the two hundred and fifty stolen bases, two hundred and fifty home runs. You stole your two hundred and fiftieth base a little while back. Did you know what was coming in and what did it mean to you when when you started to hear how rare that is in this game.
Speaker 6: So in Bore, you always keep trackling with things, even though you don't put the most important it, but it's really important. You know, it's a difficult thing to achieve and a very happy we're able to do it, and most importantly thanking God for keeping me healthy. For being able to achieve thus, because for me, the most important part is being able to play and help the team win. And even though we achieved that in significant, the most important part for me continues to try to win games.
Speaker 2: And you do it with one team and only three others Robin Ye, Craig Bihio, Derek Jeter the only others who now Jose Ramirez who did it with the one team. How important is it that you've done it with Cleveland and only Cleveland?
Speaker 7: Impul, Dante Impul.
Speaker 6: That's want to be the dream of mine. Try to do it with our organization and you know, you never know when, and you want to accomplish it, and to tell the truth, doing I's going to do it? I don't know, but that's a goal that I had and luckily we did it. And and the big fortune for me is that it's we one team. So thanking God that allowed me to be here and hoping and hoping as well that I can continue to finish those those careers and those goals here.
Speaker 2: And you did it in a win and poor part of the game winning rally. The reaction of your teammates, what did that mean to you? Just seeing some of the looks on their faces and reactions after the game.
Speaker 7: Impul down then pull done.
Speaker 6: It was very important, berry rewarding to get there. There the feedback and how they were happy for me and for me that was the most important to seeing them happy and seeing the team happy. And I break when I have one of the best teammates in the league, and for me, he's very exciting too. And from for now on, just keep going forward and trying to continue winning games.
Speaker 2: It was a great day in the season, full of them. Hosey, thanks for coming by. I appreciate it. Thank you, I'll get thank you.
Speaker 7: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: That's Jose Ramirez, who eventually extended his hitting streak to twenty one games before it ended in Friday night's game against Los Angeles. Well. Nick Enright is a young pitcher who has called up to the Major league so over the weekend in Detroit and for en Right making his debut that's special for any young pitcher, and he did so Sunday in Detroit. But for en Right, he has battled cancer since twenty twenty two. It has caused him to put his career on hold for certain time periods, but he has still managed to work his way up through the Guardian's pharmacistem and finally had that chance to pitch in the big leagues last Sunday in Detroit, and wouldn't you know it, he got through two scoreless innings and then after another inning against the Dodgers. He was optioned back to TRIPAA earlier this week, but we caught up with him after that debut game on Sunday in Detroit, and he talked about how much it meant to be able to pitch in the major leagues after going through such a major health battle.
Speaker 7: It was incredible, you know, especially right when I was diagnosed. There was a lot of doubts that a daylight today would have ever come. And there was a lot of time in the beginning in the middle where we're wondering is all this worth it? Am I doing the right thing? And so being able to be out there on that mound, and especially when I got that third out in the second inning, being able to walk off the mountain and see my wife, see my family in the stands, that moment is you know, I can't even put into words how special that was. It made all of the grueling hours that I've gone through these last couple of years all the more worth it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting you come up and to pitch the bottom of the seventh and on a Sunday, a lot of ballparks play God Bless America, so there's a delay for that picture. Who comes in at that time, and that was you making your major league debut. Was that helpful in any way for you? And can you describe what it was like coming in from the pen at that point?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it was really helpful. So I got there, the umpire did the hand check, and then we both stood there and looked at the American flag while the God Bless America was playing. And for me, it gave me some time to reflect on my journey, everything that's happened these last couple of years, to be thankful that I am where my feed are, everything that's happened, and it was just it gave me some time to just reflect. And then when the song finished, it was like, Okay, now it's time to just go play baseball. Everything that's happened these last couple of years, everything I've gone through, it made being there just all the more worth it.
Speaker 2: And you were rattling off some names that you've come up in this organization with who are here now with the Guardians, tell us who's been close with you way back when before you even got here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean me and Kate Smith are very close. Tim Herron, Joey Cantillo. I've thrown to bow for what feels like my whole career here, you know, Will Brennan, Logan Allen. I mean everywhere I look at guys that I've played with, and again that made it feel all the more special because at the same time, those are all guys who reached out to me when I was getting diagnosed and going through that, and those are guys I leaned on, and those are guys who were around me in the twenty twenty three season when I was in Columbus and I really wasn't myself. I was backpedaling away from everything that had happened those couple of months, and all those guys were there and supportive of me and not just being there for me as a player, but being there for me as a person. And so seeing all those guys knowing that they have my back then and have my back now was it was really special.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting you said you still have four treatments left and you scheduled those for November. How come I would want.
Speaker 7: Like nothing more than to be a part of a great, deep Guardians postseason run, that's for sure. And so so yeah, so I'd love more than anything to be a part of this club. You know. I was actually able to be in Cleveland during the playoff ern last year, and so my wife and I were in the stands for some of those games, which was awesome to experience. But I'd love more than anything to have those truments be very deep into November.
Speaker 2: Good planning on your part. You wear number fifty nine, and it sounds like that's not a coincidence. And for fans who follow this team for a long time, that's a special number. Tell us the significance to you.
Speaker 7: So yeah, So Carlos Carrasco was the last person to wear that number. And right when I was diagnosed the trainer for the Marlin tests of connections with the New York Mets, and I had a text message from a Florida number was I was coming back from one of the hospitals from one of my many different tests where I'm getting poked and prodded, and it was Carlos Carrasco and he was reaching out to me to support me. We talked on the phone for a minute, and you know, he told me. You know, one of the things that he bout with was it was a very fork in the row moment for him where he decided, even though he had cancer, he wasn't going to let cancer have him and control him. And that's something where he reached out to me at a very crucial time because I was very I felt alone and in the dark and spiraling. And from that conversation on, I was able to be a lot more. You know, Okay, like you know, this is happening, but I'm not going to let it control who I am and I'm not going to let it dictate my life. And so being able to wear the number, you know, that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Fast forward to yesterday. You look great on them out. Let's just talk pitching. How do you feel? I know you missed some time in spring training with an injury, but it sounds like it's been going well and it seems like your stuff is where you like it to be or are you still working on some things?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I felt fantastic. You know, Hedges called fantastic game back there. I've always been a guy who, even though I might not light up the radar gun necessarily, my fastball has some good kind of under the hood metrics, and so I was fortunately I was able to get ahead to a bunch of guys. I was able to execute at the top of the zone in the outer half, and yeah, I felt really good. You know, it was the same pitch and catch, the same sixty feet six inches that it always has been, and so I feel really good. You know, for me, it's always been kind of the breaking ball command helped set up the fastball, and being able to throw some sliders early accounts get ahead with those kind of helped make them have to respect, Okay, it's not just going to be a fastball, and so that was really helpful.
Speaker 2: It was nice because you pitch for a major league baseball team, you can have a platform for people who are going through what you have have gone through. How much does that come into play for what you're all about now moving forward?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: One of the reasons that I wanted to kind of share my story with Zach over these last couple of years and share my story with everyone here has been you know, when I was diagnosed, one of the first things I did was look up other professional athletes to see how other professional athletes who been going through something similar to me, because it's that's what we do as people. We want to see and relate to what's going on and how other people have come through it. And so for me now being in this position, I want to be able other people to look to my story as a source of you know, inspiration, pull them up on a bad day knowing, you know, hey, because there are there were a plethora of bad, dark days going through this, but that's when it was I was leaning on family, leaning on friends, reading stories of other people who've gone through similar things, knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And so that's what I'd like to do with this, is, you know, to show people that you know, yes, I have cancer, I've gone through all these treatments, but I haven't let it, you know, derail what my life plans were.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on so many fronts. Great to have you here, Thanks for the time, Thank you so much. Inspirational story that he wants to share and he certainly should, and I am imagine we'll see and write again before the season concludes. But Nick enright an inspiration to many or his battle with cancer that he has beaten and now a major league pitcher. Even though he is back in the minor leagues now, he can always say he at least pitched a couple of games in the big leagues. And again, I think we'll see him again before it's all said. Stay tuned when we come back, we'll hear from Dodgers manager Dave Roberts. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: William says, the sign into the wine and tonight's first pitch swung on whack to right, one nothing, Dodgers deep into the lower deck. Show hey o'toni and that ball left the yard in the blink of an eye. And show hey o'toni as his nineteenth home run on the first pitch of the game. He's leading the National League in the home runs. And that didn't take long. Won nothing, LA And we're underway at the corner of Carnagian, Ontario, with a game time temperature of sixty three degrees.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenow's back with you from downtown Cleveland. A progressive field. The Dodgers were in town earlier this week, and we had a chance to sit down with their manager, Dave Roberts, a former Cleveland Indian, and talk about his early days in Cleveland. But first, as everyone around baseball wants to know what's the latest about the possible return of Show Hey Otani to the mound, and we asked if there's a little more stress added to the job when Otani does become that two way player once again.
Speaker 5: I think the fun part of it is seeing potentially seeing one of the greatest players of all time now take the mound as a Dodger, so that's always exciting. I think the the scary part of is how you kind of plug him in and how to manage him to, you know, not push him too much to make sure that you don't compromise the bat. But as a fan, I'm all in. Can't wait to see it and show he has been great and off to another MVP type season.
Speaker 2: Dodgers manager Dave Roberts joining us, You're back in Cleveland, where your playing career began as a major leaguer. How much do you remember about that that first time being called up and playing in the big leagues with a really good Cleveland team.
Speaker 5: It was really special for me to make that drive. I think it was from Rochester to Cleveland to then take a plane down to Tampa. And that was the day that Wave Boggs got three thousand hits. Kenny had a hamstring injury, and I remember throwing out three hits and Bobby Witt was my first hit. And it's funny now that I'm the guy that goes to the Sun and says, hey, my first major League it was against your father, and so it's just amazing and my time here in Cleveland, I couldn't be more grateful, And just a real quick shout out to the Buchanans who hosted me when I was an Akron in Double A and they hosted me an Akron and they were always just great people for me.
Speaker 2: And when you come back here the series here this year, I think I saw you down on the field with Chris Antonetti yesterday. A chance to catch up with some old friends as a few that might still be around I did.
Speaker 5: I talked to Chris and we've got you've been we going to go way back, and there's still a handful of people that are still in the organization. You yourself, and you know, I talked to Bob Debass and yesterday I saw him And it's just crazy coming back here when I was a young kid essentially, and certainly my life has changed and kind of seeing where I'm at now, but this always has been a special place for me.
Speaker 2: Oh, Dave, I appreciate the time. Always good to see.
Speaker 5: Thank you all right, Rosie, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Fun stuff from Dave Roberts. One of the good guys in the game, and he has been at it for a long time now as the manager for the Dodgers, with two World Series titles under his belt. Also on this home stand, we had a chance to visit with a NASCAR driver. Ty Dillon was here as part of the Colleague Racing team right here in Northeast Ohio, which is pretty cool. Most of NASCAR, the teams and crews are down in the North Carolina area, the Charlotte area specifically, but not so for Colleague Racing. Yes, their shop is in Charlotte or on the outskirts of it, but the team is based right here in Northeast Ohio, And we had a chance to visit with tyd Dillon and talk to him about his role on that team and what brought him to Cleveland. In between races.
Speaker 8: We're visiting the great today to Cleveland, Ohio, and as my first time here, I've always followed the Guardians, but to be sitting here on the field watching bat and practice this is pretty awesome. But we're hanging out. My team owner, Matt call is so involved here in the state of Ohio and especially Cleveland, giving back to the community. So we're here promoting that. He has got a big golf tournament coming up, the Calle Companies Championship, and so we're promoting that and also just make sure that people in the Ohio area know that they have a race team in North Carolina that counts this as a home team to a home state for us as well, and hoping to build that fan base of college racing here in Ohio.
Speaker 2: And what Matt Collins trying to do with his race team at the Cup level, maybe if you can put in perspective for the fans how difficult it is to succeed at that Cup level. Because he's had success at the Expinity level. I know that, but where you're at now, how difficult is it to break through?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 8: Is difficult to break through, and I think Matt goes about it the best way. I think his consistent approach of wanting to get better, Like the focus of our race team is how can we make our race cars faster each week? And there's a lot that goes into it, the business side of which he is. You know, his career speaks for itself on the business side, and he has brought that in to our race team as well. And I think this year we're having as a team, probably one of the strongest years of college racing's ten year already and we're only looking forward to building on that. My teammate and I are having great years and we had a long way to go in the season to finish it out strong, but I think the future is really bright for us.
Speaker 2: And you mentioning earlier. Obviously speed is what it comes down to in one sense, but what else goes into it aside from speed that you really have to have to finish up front.
Speaker 8: I think everything comes together. You know, as a driver, you're the one who gets all the attention, but as a team you have to execute together. We have pit crew members. Our pit stops are very important, so not making mistakes on pit road, staying out of trouble, not getting penalized, to take that speed and capitalize the most out of your days. It's like playing a baseball game. You might have a day where you have a bunch of hits, but if you don't execute the easy routine ground balls, you're still going to lose if you have a lot of error. So if we've got to clean that up on our team, I think we're gonna hit ourselves in the right direction.
Speaker 2: We're joined by NASCAR driver Tie Dylan. Tie up racing history for you. You have a great racing family. Explain how long you've been involved in this and how far back it goes back in your family.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I started racing I was thirteen, but my grandfather should your childrens who owned Dillarnheart's race team. So for the time I was born, I was around race cars. I was around NASCAR. As a kid, I've tried to play every other sport, baseball, football, I wrestled in school and tried to do everything else, and then when everybody out grew me, I got in the race car and whatever clicked from my family's blood I think clicked in because I've loved it and have attacked it ever since I was thirteen years old. And yeah, so I have a long lineage of it. I raced against my brother in the Cup Series and we ran over two hundred and fifty races against each other in that series. So it's a family thing for us for sure, and it's a great sport to be a part of.
Speaker 2: We see it here with Guardians. Players so often where it's their first time in the major leagues or they've been in the major leagues, have to go back to the minor leagues, come back and then make something of that major league opportunity. And I know you've been in the Cup Series before, you had to take a step back. Now you're back. How tough is it to get back to a Cup Series ride when you've had to take that step back.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think for all of us, we all have different journeys of where you make it to kind of the pinnacle of your sport, and sometimes that journey is what makes you the best. And for me, coming in and out of the Cup Series, racing a different series, different teams and grinding through my careers made me a resilient person on and off the track. Maybe probably the best person I could be by having to go through a little bit of struggle, and I feel like I'm the strongest mentally and physically I've ever been in the race car. I'm in the best opportunity I've ever been, So for me, it's taught me so many life lessons that I hope to pass on to my kids. And just never giving up on your dreams. I think that's one thing about me, is like I'll never quit. And I've been through the ups and downs and you couldn't get me to quit then, So I'm not gonna quit now. And I take that into every single race with me. We're gonna battle to the last lap and they throw the checker and pull us off.
Speaker 6: Tight.
Speaker 2: Great to meet to you, good luck, appreciate it, looking forward to That's NASCAR driver Ty Dylan. Thanks for his time talking about racing baseball and the correlation between the two if there is one. And it's fun to visit with him and hear about his race team, Colleague racing. Stay with us, We'll let more to come after this short break.
Speaker 4: Progressive knows when you're in your RV, you're already on vacation.
Speaker 1: That's when you.
Speaker 4: Become vacation you who just camped where there's absolutely no shade. Even though regular you burns easily, In fact, vacation you burns too, but it's too stubborn to admit it, which is why regular you get in trouble at the dermatologists, because vacation you doesn't do doctors. So bundle your RV with your Homer Auto policy and earn an automatic discount from Progressive and spend the savings on the both of you. Progress a causualte insurance company if the leaves an other insurch not available in all states or situations.
Speaker 2: Well the back, It's Guardian's Weekly right here in downtown Cleveland, a Progressive field. Jim rows and now so along with you this weekend, and we had a chance as always to catch up with Steven Osterer, the vice president of player development for the Guardians, and we talked Columbus this week, beginning with Chase Delatter, who is now healthy and active with the Clippers, and Austy talked about how the latter has progressed so far since joining Columbus.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks, Rosie.
Speaker 10: Happy to be back chatting with you, you know, exciting obviously to get chased back out in the field. Yeah, he's incredibly talented as a players. Yeah, he's a true outfielder. He can really hammer the paul. So getting him back out is exciting. I think the key here is just ensuring, you know that we're doing what we can to progress them back to a normal workload of games in a week. Yeah, while supporting you know, that jumping intensity that you'd expect, you can you can imagine that as much as you want the ACL games to be as stressful as Triple A ones, they just aren't. So yeah, right now, the focus for Chases is really just about building up exposed your distress and controlling what he can to support long term development and hopefully major league impact soon. So you know, really again exciting to have Chase back out in the field and the lineup seeing hitting the ball and running around the basis.
Speaker 2: In addition to the the health equation, which is a huge part of this, what do you need to see performance wise you think as he gets rolling into this thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I think it's just you know, a lot of what he's done and shown in his samples so far in the minor leagues, where you know, he has a really good eye. You know, he walks a ton, doesn't strike out a ton, and you know, consistently, you know, damages the baseball. I mean, he's a really good hitter all around and does a lot of things well. So you know, it's continuing to just get the back back to normally. You know, again, it's been a ton of times since he's played a huge chunk games.
Speaker 9: But you know, there's some work in the outfield that we're doing, and.
Speaker 10: He's put a dent into over the last year in a bit in terms of his throwing and maybe raising the slot a little bit to make him, you know, take more effective out there with the arm.
Speaker 9: But again, there's a lot to like here.
Speaker 10: It's still a lot of things to work on, but getting them back into the groove of playing consistent games is a huge focus.
Speaker 2: And a player who has been playing a lot of games and playing them very well is c J. Kafus, how's that adjustment going to triple A pitching? Because the numbers look great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's right, Rosie, it's carried over.
Speaker 10: I mean, he continues to hit, he continues to have you know, really good at bats out there, and you know, hasn't been phased at all by the jump and level and the jump and pitching. So you know, it's it's been exciting to see him continue to go out there and perform and you know, do a lot of the things that he was doing in Double A, but seeing them against a stronger competition.
Speaker 9: I think as he continues.
Speaker 10: To to get exposure to you know, the higher level pitching, it's you know, preparing and adjusting and being as focused as he can to ensure that he continues to have quality at bats. So, you know, seeing him do that at the Triple A level has been really fun.
Speaker 2: Johnathan Rodriguez as a power hitter who we've seen up here a couple of different times, has torn up Triple A when he's been there, And at this point in time, what do you need to see from him that would indicate maybe more success if he gets that chance in the big leagues again.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 10: I mean, he had a very short stint with the major league team in April this year.
Speaker 9: And honestly just didn't get a ton of the bats.
Speaker 10: I think the focus right now is just tuning in his swing and be a bit tighter, maybe smaller and more controlled movements and hopefully that gives him a little bit more adjustability to play, to reduce chase and just to add to his already plus power. So we're seeing some positive trends in the training environments, and I think it's just a matter of getting those to transfer and stick in game and for it to be a little bit more consistent.
Speaker 9: So he's putting in.
Speaker 10: The work and we're excited to see how that kind of transfers as we continue to move forward.
Speaker 2: Pete Halpin as a young author that we've seen in Major league camp in spring and it looks like he's off to a nice start this season. And what have you seen from him so far that looks good?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we talked about him at the end of spring training and some of the leading indicators maybe that we were seeing for him having a good year offensively, you know, he's a really good defender, you know in the outfield that he's got plus top speed and can really run the ball down in center field, and that bat was was something that you needed to come along. I think there is you know, obviously some pieces of last year where maybe the risks was bothering him and there are some issues there, and you know, he's fully healthy put in a lot of good work.
Speaker 9: His preparation has been excellent.
Speaker 10: He's learned a lot from some of the more veteran players around him, who've you know, what it's like to prepare at the major league level and to get ready.
Speaker 9: To face really good hittings.
Speaker 10: So you know, he's taken all of that and you've seen some really positive strides for PD at the plate, and he continues to get better as the season goes on and almost accelerating a little bit with the performance of the plate. So it's been fun to see that development since in spring training, and you know, we're hoping that that continues to grow and develop for him as we move forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a shortstop at Columbus. It's very familiar to Guardians fans, and Brian Rochio started the season regular shortstop for Cleveland and has since been sent to the minor leagues, I know, with a mission to work on some things. And what have you seen from him in terms of that work ethic and also progress as he gets deeper into it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, obviously it's it's never easy being sent down, especially when you've been up.
Speaker 9: For a while.
Speaker 10: The credit to Brian is he's shown up with a really good attitude and wants to work.
Speaker 9: So a lot of that work there is is meant to get him every.
Speaker 10: Day reps and get the confidence up and you know, work on improving some of the swing decisions, pitch recognition, pieces to his plate appearances and hopefully lower his chase rates. And so far he's hitting the ball lot better. You shown again a really good attitude in the training environments, the practice and the work day to day and doing the things that he to do to get back to where I think we think he can go up and help the major league team. So you have some good development and a great attitude from Brian so far as kind of move the needle a little bit on his performance at the plate, and you know, you can see there's growing confidence with every game.
Speaker 2: We're joined by Steven ostro Or, the vice president of player development for the Guardians, talking Triple A Columbus this week, and we switched to the mound. You have a big guy who's put up some really solid numbers as a regular starter in the rotation down there at Columbus and Parker Messik and I know we talked about him back in spring training. It looks like the start of his season has gone really well. And what have you liked so far?
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's he's been really good in Triple A and has made a great adjustment from that jump from Double A to Triple A that you know sometimes takes a period of time for people to settle in, but that didn't seem to be the case for Parker. So you know, the change up continues to be his bread and butter and has played very well. You know, he's incredibly tough on the right handed hitters. With that, he's striking guys out at a pretty good clip. And he's been getting more more efficient in his pitch counts over time, so getting you know a little bit more deeper into games to relative to how many pitches you know, he's gotten as he's progressed his workload. You know, there's there's still things to work on though, you know, he's got to cut down some of the walks and you get ahead and control counts a little bit better, which he's been working on. You know, he's added a sinker to mix in and give a different look off the fastball. Yeah, so there's there's just continue to be an emphasis to make him, you know, a more efficient pitcher, a more complete pitcher is you know, he continues again to face better and better competition and yeah, knowing Park and his work habits, Yeah, he's just going to continue to make strides on everything that's thrown at him and get better over time and as the season goes along. It's that's been a calling card for him in his career. And you know, he's he's such a good kid, works really hard and there's a pretty high standard of excellence that he sets for himself and I think he'll reach that.
Speaker 2: And one more picture, this one out of the bullpen. We've seen him a little bit in major league camp and injuries have held him back somewhat, Franco Alamann And when he's been healthy, looks like he can really dominate at times. And how's his health first, and then how is he progressing when he is able to pitch.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's healthy and he's back out there, which is awesome. You know, as he noted, the forty man had in the off season started a little bit behind him. He was recovering from an Inguinolarnia, and you know, is totally back to normal health and feeling good.
Speaker 9: You know, he's been there for a couple of weeks and has.
Speaker 10: Been showing, you know, flashes of what put him on the forty roster in the off season. His carrying trade is still that fastball. Yeah, he's hitting ninety six right now. He's up to ninety nine most doubtings. He's got plus extension in his release, so that pitches, you know, has caused fits for his his entire career. And you know, he's continuing to show those elite with rates that we've seen. So yeah, he's also been throwing a slider harder, which has been a focus in emphasis for the last couple of years. He's starting to mix in a splitter to give him a third look to hitters. And I know it's only been about eight innings at this point, but he's striking out forty five percent of the batters he's facing, which is truly elite.
Speaker 9: At any level.
Speaker 10: So yeah, a lot of work left there, Rosie on controlling counts and controlling the running game, and you know, being prepared and able to handle the type of workload that we see our.
Speaker 9: Relievers get at the major league level.
Speaker 10: But you know, it's exciting again to have him back back healthy and be able to work towards those things and just see you know, Franco dominate out there.
Speaker 2: Something to look forward to for sure, Osty, always a pleasure having you on. Thanks for the update on Triple A Columbus and we'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 9: Thanks, Rosie Ticker.
Speaker 2: That is Vice President of Player Development Stephen Ostro talking Triple A Columbus, and that's going to do it for our show this week. As always, want to thank Brian Matze for helping to put together our show each and every week. We will join you next weekend right back here at Progressive. You'll just a short road trip for the Guardians midweek in New York against the Yankees, and then they're back home next weekend to take on the Houston Astros. So until then, this is Jim rosen House reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive, helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance