Speaker 1: All right, what is going on?
Speaker 2: It's Drive Times on a Thursday afternoon, about six minutes past the hour of two o'clock. Mary, post Christmas to you. Hope you had a great holiday yesterday. Hope you had a great time with friends and family, maybe getting some time off of work, or if you did not and you stayed on the grind, shout out to you. But it is Christmas Week and we are back live on air for the first time since Monday. Had a best of show on Tuesday. We were off yesterday for Christmas, and now back today and tomorrow to close out Christmas Week. So great to have you along for the ride, as it is every single day. Spence check. It's behind the Mike. Olivia is filling in for Porter today, who is off once again for a couple of days. Porter will be back on Monday. So Olivia filling in, doing a great job today and tomorrow. We've got a lot to get to since you and I last spoke, A lot has happened. Christmas Day NFL action not awesome, NBA Christmas Day action very much awesome. Lebron James after the game, looking into the camera and saying, I love the NFL, but Christmas is our day, and for one day it was now the Dwarfs that of the NBA, so that will not change.
Speaker 1: But I thought it was a.
Speaker 2: Fun day for people to maybe be reintroduced to NBA basketball if you've not been watching A friend of the show. Chris Harring wrote a piece for ESPN dot com today outlining some of the great storylines that are happening in pro basketball. So we'll get to some of those on the program today. The Utah Jazz are in action tonight. It is a late tip. It's an eight o'clock tip, as they're up in the Great Pacific Northwest to take on the Portland Trailblazers. Both these teams are not very good at basketball this year. But I'm gonna be nice to the Jazz. I was scolded by somebody who I respect, who works over there, who says I'm being too negative. I'm not trying to be negative. Nobody wants the Jazz to win more than I do. I can tell you that much. So we'll talk to some Jazz basketball, some NBA basketball. We will get you ready for the final tilt of Week sixteen in Pro football, little Thursday Night action, and then we'll get to the week seventeen storylines. It should be a lot of fun. So Seahawks Bears tonight Soldier Field, Seattle is a five point favorite on the road. And then we've just got a bevy of action coming up as pro football is really starting to get very interesting. A good Sunday slate coming up with a lot on the line. Quite frankly, did you enjoy the Netflix presentation our good friend? Well, good friends? I should say the Eagles father and son duo. I an Eagle calling the morning game and then no Eagle call in the afternoon game.
Speaker 1: No one's gonna hop on the show tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I want to see what his experience was like calling NFL football on Netflix. So we'll get to some storylines in that direction. There are some breaking news as pat Riley has come out and said they're not going to trade Jimmy Butler. Now we'll see if that changes, because Jimmy Butler is the one name on the pro basketball trading block right now that, if moved, could certainly change the landscape of a team and maybe the landscape of the league. So the latest on the NBA trade deadline. Every time a trade deadline primer or preview is really whether it's a story that you read or somebody you listen to. The Jazz are mentioned and will the Jazz be active prior to that trade deadline.
Speaker 1: We'll get to it.
Speaker 2: The latest on the transfer portal, I know what you guys want. Latest on the transfer portal for Utah football. Latest on the transfer portal for BYU football. Had a couple of interesting conversations while we were off. Shed a little light on just exactly how BYU was able to land aj Debanta and where they're at kind of with their collective efforts and their nil efforts and the people that have stepped up the much needed people that have stepped up in provo. Is the same thing happening here in Salt Lake. We'll get to that on the show. As far as the latest with both BYU and Utah as college football, plenty of games left, including BYU Colorado should be a really fun one. Excited for that one and then hopefully the second round the quarterfinals of the CFP look a little more exciting than the first round did. We got the Peach Bowl with Texas Arizona State. We have the Rose Bowl with Ohio State and Oregon, Penn State Boys State is the Fiesta Bowl, then Notre Dame Georgia is the Sugar Bowl.
Speaker 1: Eight teams left standing, and.
Speaker 2: Of course BYU and Colorado to play what, in my estimation, should be one of the most exciting non CFP Bowl games. Excited to see how BYU stacks up to Colorado and excited to see how that game plays out. So a lot to get to on the program today. The Utah Hockey Club back in action tomorrow, They're off tonight. College basketball starting to get interesting. University of Utah men's hoops will get rolling with their Big twelve slate coming up next week against Baylor. So a ton going on today and a good guest list too. We're going to catch up with Jim Herman, who played college ball at BYU and I was able to catch up with Jim and spend some time with him at Steve Young's charity golf tournament a couple months back, and Jim's been on the show before. So we're going to talk to the latest with BYU, and the latest with the college football current slate and the situation at il Transfer Portal and such with Jim Herman, get his thoughts on Klonia satake his contract extension of the future of college football here in the state.
Speaker 1: The TV voice of the.
Speaker 2: Utah Jazz, Craig Bowler, Jack will stop by prior to him calling the game tonight with the Jazz and the Blazers. Then we'll visit with Gordon Monson. It's the big Show, Big hour. We do it here on the Drive every Thursday afternoon. We'll bring an Eric Weddle former Ute stops by today as well, and then Zach Harper NBA Daily Assist style. So busy guest list, a lot of college football, a little NFL and of course some NBA and some Utah Jazz on the show today. So Jim Herman, Craig Bowler, Jack, Gordon Monts and Eric Weddel and Zach Harper. Jim's going to join us right out of the gates as our first guest. But before we get to Jim Herman, courtesy of our friends at Standard Restaurant Supply, it's your one stop shop for all your tailgate needs on a Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 1: It's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check. It's on Utah's number one Sports Talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurants Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Restaurants Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 2: So this time of year, when it comes to the college football, the current state of the game, current state of college football locally and nationally, it's kind of an interesting media cycle to consume, and certainly as part of this job, to do the best I can to keep up with all of the pieces of news that come in fast and furious, and then listen to what other people have to say and try to understand exactly what's most interesting right now to college football fans. And it's odd and maybe this would be different if Utah football was in I don't know, even just a marginal bowl game, let alone the CFP, but it does seem like right now in college football, the most popular topics and the most popular content has to do with the transfer portal and what your team is going to look like next year. And look, there's plenty of time left, so ultimately we're not dismissing or anointing any teams on the show today. You know that would be silly to do because they're plenty of players that are in the portal that have not elected where they're going to play. And the most maddening part of all of this, and the most idiotic dynamic of all of this right now, is that college football finds itself in free agency during the season. It's beyond stupid, and that will change, And I'm convinced that's going to change even as quickly as next year, because anybody who's been asked about it, like nobody has made the case for it. Nobody, and typically with the debate with how many talking heads there are these days, not just radio and television, but podcasts and YouTube channels, there are a couple of dudes that will zig when everyone else zags. There are a couple of dudes that will try to take the contrarian viewpoint.
Speaker 1: Nobody has done that with this.
Speaker 2: It has been summarily dismissed, and it feels like it's a consensus of how stupid that it is that a sport has free agency while games are still being played. You save free agency for the offseason, because, of course you do to be analogous, can you imagine in football or basketball when the biggest games are left, because that's what's left in college football. The college football Playoff is going on, and these players are getting called by agents to ask if they want to enter the transfer port because you have to do it if you want to sort of find out what hand you've been dealt and what your worth is on the open market, which I'm all for. If you listen to the show, first of all, thank you. Second of all, you know that I'm for that. I've been for that for a long time. Yes, college athletes should have always had the same basic economic rights that you and I have, Okay, But now that we're in that reality, it really is time to frame it with some guardrails that just make it more sensible and easier to kind of traverse for mostly coaches quite frankly, and yes, players too. But the players aren't necessarily the ones that are being stung by the new reality of college football. The players are the ones that are being taken care of because they can now make money. And like I said, they should have always been in this space. But there's a reason why in the pros I can't believe I'm going to say it out loud. There's a reason why in the pros free agency is during the off season. It's like, it's the most basic thing we can possibly talk about. There's a reason why in the pros they wait until the offseason to allow players to change teams via free agency.
Speaker 1: Now you can make trades during the year, right And.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, I always kind of scoff at the whole loyalty conversation with players who do leave via free agency.
Speaker 1: As fans, you get stung.
Speaker 2: You know, you're bummed when your Fourth of July is ruined when Gordon Hayward decides he's going to Boston.
Speaker 1: And I get that.
Speaker 2: But if you work in an industry where essentially, if your boss decides you're somewhat disposable, he can just trade you tomorrow and give you a call in the am and say, hey, you live in Cleveland now, then you should have an avenue and the ability to decide where you do, what you do, and where you're gonna play basketball. I've always found it interesting that these basketball players, these football players, these baseball players, soccer players in the world at what they do, yet they are told where they have to do that. I'm not completely comfortable with it entirely. Now there's a side non sequitor conversation about what it means for a city like Salt Lake to try to build a pro basketball franchise. And that's why the NBA does have guardrails in place to ensure that if you draft and develop a player, you at least have seven eight years with them. Now, unfortunately that doesn't guarantee anything beyond that. But that's when the conversation gets interesting, because should a free agent.
Speaker 1: I always go back to the Kevin Garnett thing.
Speaker 2: You know, Garnett gave Minnesota basically a decade, and they had a couple of good teams when they had Sam Cassel and the Treil Spree. Well, they went to the Western Conference finals, but they were never close to winning an NBA championship and quite frankly, never that close to winning the West, even though that had a couple of decent teams. And so after a decade, I had no issue with Garnett looking around and saying, hey, I gave you ten years and I was one of the best players of this generation.
Speaker 1: I want to go win a championship and.
Speaker 2: Minnesota and Kevin McHale at the time did right by him by trading him to Boston and their executive Danny Ainge built a championship team around Garnett and Paul Pierce and Ray Allen and I had no problem with that. Now, if you're a Timberwolves fan, it sucks. And if you're a Jazz fan, you're watching Donovan Mitchell have a career year for a team in Cleveland that is just nasty. And Donovan didn't leave in free agency. He was traded, but if you followed that story, Donovan had one foot out the door basically the entire final year he was here, leaving a lot of fans to fill the trade. So there isn't a perfect solution that will make everybody happy, but there has to be guardrails in plays for college football that at least allow coaches who really are the ones against The coaches and the fans are the ones that currently are losing out as a result of the new format and model of collegiate athletics. It's not the players, it's administrators, coaches, and fans. But in order for these coaches have a fair shot at putting a good product on the field, free agency can't be while you're still playing games. Okay, because from a coaching perspective, you're running practice. Okay, you're Kalani Satake, You're running practice down in Provo. You're getting ready for what should be a really fun bowl game against Colorado, a game that will bring a lot of eyes because Dion does that in the Alamo Bowl seven point thirty by the way, ABC, and ironically enough, you can hear the BYU game on our radio station, so stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: But Dion brings a lot of eyes. BYU is a big brand.
Speaker 2: There will be I don't know, I would guess four or five six million people watching that game. BYU getting like a six million dollar payoff. This is a good bowl game, and BYU's earned it because of their ten win season. But if you're Kialani, if you're Jay Hill, if you're a rod, if you're that coaching staff, you're running practice to prepare for Colorado, and then you say good night after practice is done, and then you have to wonder whether or not any of your players are going to be entering the transfer portal because b Yu, I think at last check as six guys did have entered the transfer portal. It makes it really hard to prepare for a game, and after all, the games are what all of this should be about, you know, And that's why I kind of started the segment off with some interesting, I don't know, observations from my standpoint that the most popular topic for college football fans right now, it does seem to be the transfer portal as opposed to the games. Now first round of the CFP not awesome. And we'll get to the latest with the University of Utah. You know, it was tough. Right before we said good night on Monday afternoon, it was announced that Kiana Tanavasa was in the transfer portal.
Speaker 1: That one stings.
Speaker 2: So does Cameron Calhoun Keanu unless I missed it because I'm not one who lives online. I don't record TikTok videos or coming Twitter for information. If he announced something, I just haven't seen it. And so that of course continues to open up the possibility that maybe thought of us that lands back here, and that should be your hope, because man, he's good. A lot of these players, all due respect, you know, from Utah that have entered the transfer portal. You know, Djon Stanley, for instance, nice kid had an insanely good game right out of the Gates to start the year off for the University of Utah, but never really broke into rotation, and outside of catching a couple of swing passes that you or I probably could have caught, didn't do much. So you know, you wish Djon well and you said him on his way. Same thing with like Damien Alford or even Brandon Rose.
Speaker 1: You know, Isaac Wilson has elected to come back, so that's good.
Speaker 2: But a lot of the players you just kind of say, all right, best of luck, congrats on whatever you were able to get in the open market. But a ton of us and Calhoun, those two specifically, they hurt, they do. And you know it's not just Utah, of course, it's every program across the landscape of the state, every program across the landscape of college football that ultimately are trying to figure out how to traverse this. I mean, the latest BYU list as far as and I have this up, this is current as of an hour ago. You got one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. You have fourteen BYU players in the transfer portal. BYU has locked in five players from the transfer portal, and of course plenty is left to analyze here but that's a good portion of your roster that you're trying to utilize at your disposal to prepare for games.
Speaker 1: And it's almost just unfair, it's almost impossible.
Speaker 2: And some of these programs will be rebuilding every year. In pro sports, you run into a rebuild situation. And by the way, it's no matter where you are. It's New York. The Knicks felt like they were rebuilding for twenty years. Nobody talks about the Nick van Exel, Elden Campbell Laker years, but the Lakers were rebuilding for years. The heat were horrible for a long time before they kind of got things figured out. In pro sports, every I don't know, depending on your circumstances, depending on your front office, your ownership, how savvy you've been in roster construction, you're going to run into a rebuild every seven, eight, nine years, and hopefully you don't run into a rebuild that takes very long. And that's what the Jazz have been really good at historically speaking. Present day excluded because the jury is very much still out, but you hope you can get it turned around within a couple of years and then you have another generation of at least competitive basketball or football, and most good front offices are able to do that see Oklahoma City. But the reality for a lot of teams in college football, if the guardrails are not added and the rules are not executed, there are gonna be a lot of college football programs that will be rebuilding every year. That's not sustainable. You'll have plenty of smart college football coaches and administrators choosing to do something else with their lives because this is impossible. And it's too bad, because it really is such a great product and such a great sport and the fact that the ratings have not taken a hit, attendance has a little bit, and the secondary market for the first round of the CFP, there were Penn State Oregon tickets that you could find in the secondary market for ten bucks, for ten dollars for those two teams that are playing for a national championship. So there are some situations, ancillary situations that have been adversely affected, but not a ton. And the reason is the sport is awesome, and the product is great, and it's really fun to watch, it's really.
Speaker 1: Fun to consume.
Speaker 2: And that's why even though the current situation is untenable, and I believe that it is, we still sit down and watch. So can you imagine what this product will look like when all of the ducks are actually in a row? And when will that happen? Hopefully it's sooner rather than later. Hopefully we don't have to wait four or five years. And hopefully when the dust settles and there is a new reality where college football looks very much like pro football, both Utah and BYU get that invice because that's the crew to be in. And if Utah.
Speaker 1: And BYU before we catch a break.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if this pro model comes to fruition and there are forty teams that are in sitting at the right lunch table, that are in this new college football reality that very much looks like pro football, you know, is it the ACC versus excuse me? Is it the SEC versus the Big Ten? Do they come up with new names just for reference? Think AFCNFC. It's going to look like a lot like the NFL. And if Utah and BYU get invites to join this group, it will be the closest thing, quite frankly, that we'll ever probably have to pro football in our market. But it will be a lot like the NFL model. And it will eliminate a lot of the FCSFBS games, a lot of the big dogs taking on the little dudes that most people don't watch week in and week out.
Speaker 1: It will be blue.
Speaker 2: Bloods playing blue bloods almost every single week, and brands playing brands every single week, and that'll be really exciting. In the meantime, there's just a lot to figure out for these people that are in charge of this great sport that we all love it. We're gonna bring in Jim Herman coming up next, continue the conversation about the current landscape of college football. Bowler will stop by, so will Gordon Mont and Eric Weddell and Zach Harper. Busy Thursday show, keep it right here on ESPN seven hundred. We got Pittsburgh and Toledo going on right now. The game above Sports Bowl Bowl season b YU is gonna take on Colorado coming up on Saturday, should be one of the best non CFP Bowl games. That's gonna be a five to thirty kick time on ABC and the Alamo Bowl right now, Colorado is a four point favorite. Excited to catch up with our next guest. He joined the show a few times back in the day when I was doing with Gordo. He is a legend, played at Brigham Young, played a little NFL football. Great to have Jim Herm on the drive on a Thursday. Jim, Merry Christmas season.
Speaker 1: How are you, sir?
Speaker 4: Merry Christmas to you, Spence, Thank you. Yeah, good for having me. Good things are good. Got through Christmas, survived and enjoying it and excited for the new year. I can't believe it's twenty twenty five already.
Speaker 2: I know, man, I know what does Christmas look like in the Herman household?
Speaker 4: Man, it's great. I got three boys, they're all married. I actually hard to believe I actually have grandkids, as crazy as that is. Wow, So I get to see them. I got a couple kids living in LA right now, building a business and everyone's home and so we're having a great time, family and fun and all sorts of great things. And I grew up in Wisconsin, so I actually have some Wisconsin family that owns a place up in Deer Valley and they're coming out. My mother in law's coming. So yeah, good things.
Speaker 1: Very nice, great to hear, great to hear.
Speaker 2: So I started the show off today Jim with just what I perceive to be a broken sport, albeit a great product in college football, and you know, it's it's insane to me that essentially what we're dealing with is free agency during the year, right, So you have coaches that are trying to coach their team up for bowl games or CFP games to try to win national championships, and then after practice they've got to run collateral damage to make sure their players aren't being contacted by agents. And so many teams that are still playing, including Brigham Young, have several players that are in the portal while the season is still going on. What are your thoughts on this dynamic specifically, the college football essentially has free agency wall games are being played.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, Actually, I agree with you Spence. I actually think it's worse than free agency because free agency has some rules and some guardrails, and there's actually seems to be a method to the manus. Certainly at the NFL level, people change teams. At that level, it's a job, and they're looking out for opportunities and places to go enhance their careers. Weirdly that's trickled down to college football. But the there just seems to be no rules for sport that I grew up in and was around for years, and my brother played college football, obviously, lots of friends of mine, and you know, as long as I can remember, until the you know, real, not too distant future, was the strict guidelines of the NCAAA. My gosh. You couldn't get an ice cream cone, You couldn't you couldn't even think about transferring unless you've sat out a year, and there are all these rules and restrictions, and now it just seems to be a total free for all, which I don't really understand. I don't know why someone hasn't stepped in there. There used to seem to be a governing body that would try to curtail some of these things, but now it just seems to every year the rules change, and you know, maybe there's there's the Wizard of Oz out there that's making it all work in some chaotic form or fashion, but I'm with you, it seems to absolutely be crazy. I mean, Crew Wakeley, who I think is you know, one of DA's best defensive backs is in the portal, not going to play in the game that hurts against an unbelievable Colorado team that throws the ball and has crazy skilled positions and and is really apt at testing defensive backfields all around the country, and now vas at a disadvantage, and it seems weirdly, it seems to Colorado's kind of kept it all together. I'm not as informed as to the comings and goings over there on their team, but from the from the macro landscape of college football, it seems to be a mess. And I keep hoping. I really defer to you know, certainly I'm influenced by the NFL model one because I think it works. I grew up in a state where the Green Bay Packers are in a tiny little town smaller than Logan, Utah, and they fill a stadium of ninety thousand people, and there's they're the only way that can survive is because their central leadership with a game plan to make sure that all the teams within the league played by the same rules and have the opportunity to compete whether you're in a big market, small market, big school, small school. And they've done a really good job of putting what I think is a framework that, based on where college football is going, could could work at the college football level. But until their central leadership in college football, you know, getting back to the free agency question, I don't know how. I don't know how it changes because the Big twelve kills about the Big twelve, the Pac Ten. I'm sorry, the the SEC cares about the SEC. The Big ten cares about the Big ten. And someone's supposed to be caring about you know, college football as a whole, and I don't know who that is, because it just seems to be running crazy, crazy wild.
Speaker 2: I wonder what your thoughts are, Jim, on what could be next, because I wholeheardly agree and I've talked on the show a lot about rip the band aid off and just use the pro model. Okay, allow the players unionize collectively, bargain with the people in charge, and that way, you know, I'm not saying they sign four or five year contracts, but sign contracts that you're gonna be with the program for a couple of years, maybe with an option after that, and that way you don't have to rebuild your program every single year if you know you have a player for two or three years or something like it. It seems like coaches are for it. It seems like players would be for it because then the contracts could be legal and above board with Right now, there's no regulation. If you want to pay a quarterback a billion dollars to play at BYU, you can pay them eight billion dollars.
Speaker 1: So move to the pro model.
Speaker 2: I know there will be unfortunate collateral damage of athletic departments that don't have the same amount of revenue.
Speaker 1: Because football is the cash cow.
Speaker 2: But I also believe Jim, at some point and you exist in some of these spaces right now as well, private equity guys are going to get involved here and they're gonna start buying college football teams, buying stakes and college football teams infusing the programs with money up front with the promise that their investment will pay incredible dividends once this pro model becomes a reality.
Speaker 1: But in your opinion, you're a smart guy. What do you think is.
Speaker 2: Standing in the way now of college football just getting this done? Because I believe it would solve the majority of the issues that face the sport right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, couldn't agree more Spence. I mean you and I are fully aligned. What I think standing in place is just to echo what I said, it's central leadership. I you know, lover hate Roger Goodell he represents the owners right. And I was a union member when I was in the NFL. I paid my union dues. We had representatives, We talked, we met, we discussed issues that were relevant to us as players, and we relied on our representatives to be union to you know, speak for us as a union voice to the owners when they got together and collectively bargained. I was injured right before the strike here, way back in eyighty seven eighty eight. So I played eighty five eighty six, then got injured. Then there was a strike here, and then I actually got a couple surgeries and then actually signed after the second collective bargaining agreement with the LA Raiders, And so I saw it and I live it now. We started an NFL alumni chapter here, and it's amazing what's changed and what's transpired for as players. But certainly from a current player standpoint and someone who's in the league, there's rules, there's representation, there's a there's a plan, but it only comes with central leadership. In my opinion, I just don't as of right now, the SEC is so powerful and the Big Pens not far behind, or vice versa. I'm not actually sure who generates more on a perching basis, but weirdly, as a conference, they kind of collectively bargain. So the way I understand that the Big Ten goes out and negotiates rights, media rights and creates content, and that content's distributed and they're paid by the distributors of the content, and then that is equally divided amongst the schools in the Big Ten and the SEC. So they're doing it on a conference basis. But people need to understand. And I wasn't a member of the PAC twelve or part of the school that was a member of the PAC twelve, but this is the nation's favorite sport. It spans from coast to coast, and I think it's a travesty what happened on the pack to the PAC twelve and on the West coast. But someone needs to look out for that. There should not be two teams in LA that get on a plane on a weekly basis and fly to Maryland or Happy Valley, Pennsylvania to participate. And it sounds great for football because you're on a chartered flight, but there's some volleyball player, female volleyball player who's a scholar athlete who has to take a psyche test on Thursday, and she traveled to Rutgers on Tuesday, and she took the red Eye back with three connections on the way back to use La studied, took her test on Thursday, and then got on a plane and flew to Minnesota. It's just nuts. And until someone gets their act together and figures out that college football specifically, and I think maybe college football needs to be its own thing. Not own thing in the sense that it's not a sport tied to college at you know, college and universities, but it might need to be its own revenue model and have its own representation, both from an ownership standpoint all of the university and or private equity who has the opportunity to buy into some of these programs and then collectively bargained for the players, because it definitely is the goose that's laying the golden egg, and it helps funds lots of other sports. And until this is all figured out, sadly, what it's made college football so great in America is just starting to disintegrate before our very own eyes. We certainly love it, I'm tuning in, I'm watching it, but it's it's hard as a fan. It's hard as a fan to feel something strongly about a team that there was a young man who represented your school and next year is going to represent another school, and next year is going to represent another school, which, by the way, I thought you could only transfer once, and it seems guys now are transferring two, three, four times. It's just it just is absolutely crazy. But to answers question specifically, I think what's standing in its way is we need we need a Roger Goodell of college football to represent uh. I guess really the media or and or the universities collectively. And then we need to, you know, figure out a way to make sure the athletes are representative and representative. And I don't know if it has to be at quite the level that the NFL is, and maybe I'm being naive on that, but players, look, you know, there's lots of coaches and universities making tons of money, and certainly with a matter of time before some of those resources need to be directed to players because some of them are maimed for life. Some of them get great educations and they move on and it was an unbelievable experience, and some of them are generating huge amounts of revenue for schools and coaches that are making millions and millions of dollars. So to get those guys a share of the pot, I don't think is necessarily a negative thing. But it's just now seems to be the wild wild West with a system with no rules.
Speaker 2: I wonder, And let's just one one more thing here, then we can move on, because I want to ask you about the Bowl game and colonial all.
Speaker 1: That good stuff.
Speaker 2: But let's let's talk through this real quick to see if there's anything there, because I do think a game changer will be private equity money. You know, venture capitalists coming in to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in the sport. Is there a way that you could get enough? You know, private equity venture capitalists in a room that all want to invest in this, and then because of the money, they're willing to really give up front to programs and then say you can use this with nil, you can use this to upgrade facilities or pay or cut or whatever.
Speaker 1: And you know, these guys you're in the space.
Speaker 2: The one thing that they will not do is invest the money unless they think they can get great dividends on the back end.
Speaker 4: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: So if they're willing to step up and write these big checks, could they as a group gardner enough power to pick a Roger Goodell of college football and say this is the guy that's going to run this thing for us.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does. I mean certainly being in the space. For those of you who don't know, and not that I work for private equity firm. Actually, my partners in the Hall of Fame in the NFL and in the Hall of Fame football, Steve Young and our partners in a private equity firm, Hunting Gay Global capitalis GGC, and we have lots of money under management. We are looking we have a thematic sourcing initiative within our firm to look for sports athletic, sports centric businesses to invest in. Right, It's something that is important to us as individuals and as a firm, and so we're trying to find ways to put money to work in professional athletics. All that being said, the model in college athletics is unique. I'm with you kind of from a macro viewpoint, But how do you make that work when some of these teams are owned by states, either owned by state institutions, they owned by the University of Utah. Takes a lot of state money. And I don't know how what the ownership looks like in the University of Utah, how that was set up, what the charter was when the University of Utah was established, And I don't know what hurdles that impose on private equity, right, I mean, like you said, private equity is kind of is what it says. It is. It's taking private dollars, investing it in an asset, figuring out a way to create value in that asset and get a return for the shareholders. And that, to me, I think is going to be complicated based on the landscape of college football. But concessfully, what you're saying do I agree with absolutely, And I'm not sure. I don't know if it's private equity. I hate to say it. I'm a capitalist. I believe in the free enterprise and free market system. I don't I believe less governments better. I do think potentially one way to get control of this crazy monster is to have the federal government step in in one way, shape or form or the other and then act laws because some of these school like I said, these schools are federally owned, state owned. Some of them are one hundred years old, one hundred and fifty two hundred years old institutions that I'm not sure they would be willing to take private equity money. Although they take lots of private equity money and to fund endowments, I don't know if they're going to take private equity money to give up ownership in an asset that's some two hundred year old educational institution is owns. So I don't know, Spence, I don't know how to divvy it up. But I do think what you're saying resonates and it has to happen. And whether d I saw Dion on a clip the other day on TikTok or Instagram or Facebook or somewhere on a reel, I saw Nick Saban, everyone's saying the same chip, same thing, Chip Kelly said the same thing. Right, It's like, look, guys, we're generating a lot of money. Let's figure out how much money goes to the school. Let's figure out how much money goes to the players. Let's divvy that up. Let's have some guardrails this money. You know, and I'm a believer that you know, Green Bay gets the same amount of Dallas, and Dallas gets the same amount as the New York Giants, and the New York Giants get the same amount as the LA Rams And that makes it work, right. Any given Sunday wasn't some crazy marketing you know slogan. It was to create an even system. It was to create parody. And I think that's what we want in college football. We certainly want it regionally. I don't think anyone at the at Oregon State wakes up on a Saturday and says, I wonder what's happening in a Georgia Tech today. I sure hope they win, or I sure hope they lose, right, I mean, what's made college football so great are regional and conference rivalries that are part of this global, you know, American landscape of college football. I mean, it's kind of all part of this giant quilt. But there's patches that are more relevant to certain people. And Oregon State cares about Oregon and Washington and and you know, cal down the road, at least they used to. And Michigan is always going to care about Ohio State, and no, SiO State's always gonna care about Michigan because they border each other, and b what's always gonna care about Utah? And Utah is always gonna care about BYU and the See schools are the same, and so let's figure out a way to get the University of Tennessee the same amount of money as Oregon State. And some people will their eyes at that, but I think that's what makes it work. I mean, right now, the big ten schools, they all make the same. No one seems to roll their eyes at Rutgers, who is not great at anything, is getting the same cash payout that Ohio State's getting. Right, I mean, they make that work because they all need each other. They need each other in that conference. And it's the same with the SEC. Vanderbilt has been getting their share, the same share that Alabama and George has been getting in the SEC since they've been divving up those cash those funds for media rightes. And so I just don't understand why we can't do that on a global landscape. And maybe it's shrinks. Maybe it's instead of one hundred and thirty teams or one hundred and thirty five teams or whatever it is, maybe there's a group of five and there's a different group and whether that's eighty or ninety, or sixty or or one hundred, I don't know what the number is. But right now, there's a lot of money generated for the schools in the Big ten. There's a lot of money generated for the schools in the SEC. There's a lot of money generated for the schools in the Big twelve. And there used to be a lot of money gener for the Pack twelve and the PAC twelve just had horrible leadership and people lost their minds and they said, look for an extra ten million dollars. I'm willing to forego our unbelievable history as a conference and I'm going to join a conference that that means nothing to us, and then we have to travel all across the country for a few extra dollars. So why not find a way to make the pie bigger? And that's what that's what the NFL has done. Everyone gets their slice and and they're unified. They want to put the best product forward. I mean, there's a great acquired podcast that if you're a podquest cast or spence about how they did it and why they did it, and it was entertainment and it was it was a way to create a product and the product was the NFL, and our product is college football and people love it and let's not kill it. And we're freaking killing it because we don't have someone driving the bus. And it just bums me out a.
Speaker 1: Lot of good stuff there.
Speaker 2: It feels like you guys need to get involved because I know life is really good for Steve, but you could do worse as a college football commissioner.
Speaker 1: The Steve Young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, life is good for Steven. Steve. Steve is very smart, he said. I mean, I mean, I'm certainly biased, but I mean I studied my a off for the l SAT and got eighty four percent, and I don't think he's studied once, and he was in the ninety nine percent. He's he's a smart guy. He's connected, he's he's respected, and he sees the he sees what the opportunity is and he's cold pete at the highest level of both and and you know, and maybe it's him, and maybe it's a panel. Maybe it's him and Nick Saban and a few other players. I mean people that have been around and experienced what they needed to experience to understand how to protect a really strong American asset that the that you know, a lot of people that live in this country care about and before we go too far down the path, we we get it back and headed in the right direction. And I'm hopeful that's going to happen. I mean, I just heared Nick Saban now on Game Day and and he's a voice, he's got a platform now and he talks about it. Then. You know, social media, if anything, has created a platform and an opportunity for people to share their opinions. And most of the people that I see share their opinions kind of are saying the same thing you're saying, Sence. You know, they want to fix this before it gets too late.
Speaker 2: Let's move over now to what's going on to your alma mater. And you know, as soon as the NIO, as soon as it became a reality, when the NCAA was basically thrown out of court and told that you're a serial anti trust violator, get out of my courtroom and go figure it out, and suddenly the landscape started to shift. On the show, I said that day, this feels like it could be really good news for Buyu, who you know at the time independence you know, they were kind of looking for a home then the Big Twelve invite happens, and you know, Killani year two in the Big Twelve wins ten games and nearly wins the whole thing. And you know, down at Steve's golf tournament, I caught up with Brian Santiago. We talked about all of the really cool initiatives they have in place, and right now now it feels like BYU's Collective or whatever they're calling it, is in a really healthy spot in a way that Utah's isn't. As of now, they lock in AJ DEBANTSA and Jim. I don't know if you've seen this kid play my Goodness like he is for real.
Speaker 1: So it feels like BYU.
Speaker 2: Right now, with their collective and their NIL initiatives, have figured some things out and it's going in the right direction. Can you shed some light on the mechanisms about how they've been able to kind of make this work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and you know, it's interesting to hear your perspective, and I totally agree. One is, I think what Bery has figured a bunch of things out right. One is, you know, it's it's good to be liked, and it's good to like other people, And I think BAU has figured out that. Look, you know, I went to BAU is a non member kid from Wisconsin. I didn't know any LDS people back where I grew up. I'd never heard of THEYU. I went there, I had an unbelievable experience. I was part of a fraternity that was pretty diverse and and so you know, it was I mean, it was still part of the great BYU community, which which actually I embraced and figured out, this is gonna be really cool. Like It's something I don't know about, and I'm willing to learn and I'm excited to kind of, you know, expand my horizons and be part of a community that I didn't grow up in. And I think BA is doing the same thing kind of on a broader landscape, which is college athletics.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: They're they're looking to bring people in from other universities and other places. I mean, my goodness, they have a you know, they're starting quarterbacks, a Jewish young man who's embraced being a Jew at BYU. And what that means all the positives around that whole scenario. And I think I have not had a chance to see an age of but my goodness, I just heer unbelievable things. I have a lot of friends certainly involved at BYU and the basketball community, both collegiately and otherwise that just just tell me this kid is just unbelievable. And I think this is where NIL really paid off. And I'm not talking about by U Nil because the way I understand it, and I could be mistaken, but I've got some pretty deep sources and I got it, got some pretty good information. Is he was going to get a vast majority of the money that everyone sees that dollar figure, whether it's seven million or eight million, or six and a half or eight and a half or whatever the number is, the vast majority of that is coming from true Nil, right, which is what it was supposed to be, right, A big chunk coming from Nike. And oh, by the way, you know when he was on HISPN and he made the announcement, he had a little Red Bull logo on the side of his bou had a big chunk is coming from red Bull. Now he's got a big water pop money in his pocket, right, And so now he's gonna go get a chunk of money from other schools, whether it be Kentucky or Duke or Kansas or BYU, and he got a chunk of money from BYU. But that chunk of money from BYU, I don't think necessarily carried the day. It just made it competitive, right. They didn't have to that whole number. They could write a percentage of that number coupled with true nil money. And he's like, you know what, I'm gonna make the same money here if I make it at Kansas, I'm not gonna make a whole lot more there. I'm not gonna make a whole lot more at North Carolina. And by the way, I went to high school here and my parents really liked the environment at BUYU, and I've made some friends in the community in Utah, and I liked their coaching staff, and so it gave BYU a chance. And I think that's where nil can be And you know, it can level the playing field to a certain extent. And it's not really just outbidding someone like by You didn't go and outbid other people. They just were competitive and they offered things that were important to him and his family. So I think that's the positive side of it. And you're right when they said, you know, let's and I hate to even say nil because look, there's a professional sports team to tea they canna very well. You know the Utah Jazz, And I don't know about you. I don't see a ton of Utah Jazz guys getting nil money in the local market. And usually they the non starters. They're the guys that are doing the used car dealership for Larry Miller, so they get the use of a car and they get an extra fifty K, or they're on a credit Union commercial. But people that are in the business world, like myself and other people, you need an ROI on those dollars. And people just aren't scratching checks to both collegiate players or NBA players in the market unless somehow they feel it's going to make their business thrive and there's going to be a return on that dollar investment, and Nike certainly can do that. Right, they're betting on this kid being the next Michael Jordan or the likes thereof right and Red Bull is you're wanting to affiliate with this guy because he's just an unbelievable talent. And then you've got a university that can throw in some dollars to say, hey, oh and by the way, we really like you too, and we want you to come and we use them. And I had NL dollars and we have a collective. I shouldn't say naal. You know, I get a little miffed sometimes when people throw nil around and it's really not nil. It's just pay to play. But we've got a pool of funds that we can pay you to come play for us, and it's all going to work out. And to kudles to BYU because I think, you know, obviously the ownership of BYU is unique, and they care about what people think about that institution and then as a as a as a culture, and I think they said, you know what, hey, look we can do a lot of good by being competitive on the field, and yes, we're willing to back this to a certain extent. I think if it gets crazy, you know, you might feel that change. But right now they're like saying, yeah, let's go along, let's be really mindful. They hired a GM, which you know basically is a lawyer to come make sure they're doing everything dot in the eyes and crossing the t's and doing everything by the book, and it seems to be working. So I'm grateful that, you know, my school that I went to school and played at with. By the way, call Whittingham was my teammates. So I get the same thing at Buy at b U. And I'm friends with Kyle and I'm friends with Freddie, and I talked to these guys, those guys about these same issues, and you know, they're they're important to their program, just like it's important to BUYU and it's important to them as fans of the of the sport. So I don't know if I answered the question, but yes, it's it's it's crazy what's happening down there. And I think it's really good, you know, I think the portal has been a real benefit for him. They're just in this last week a couple of kids that I coached in high school that you know, I coached Tsilia Kanna, who was a you know, top forty recruit in the country. I mean, he had one hundred offers. Then he went to Texas and you know, some good, some not ideal, and thought it might be good to come closer to where he went, you know, grew up and from from a high school standpoint, and came back here and made the rounds and and he's going to go to Buyu. I'm because I coached him in high school and now I can to see him playing in person. He's an awesome human being and he's a phenomenal talent, and so I you know, I see some of those things kind of work out in our favor, just like it's working out at Utah. You know, it's sad to see some guys go, but it's also exciting to get some talent. But it can't be a revolving door. It's like, my goodness, come and play for us. And like you said earlier, if you're gonna sign a contract, a contract means something usually has a term. It's usually not you know, three months, it's usually a year or two years, or there's gonna be something that triggers another opportunity for you to leave. But if you're gonna take cash and you're gonna play for my school, I'm gonna say you're gonna play in all the games, including the Bowl game. That's where I give Dion a ton of credit, and you're gonna stick around because we're gonna we're gonna come up with some resources, and that's you know, quid pro quo. You play for us, you get cash and it's it's got to be some sort of commitment. So yeah, all those things, all those things, Spence, you and I could talk about for hours because I'm passionate about it. It sounds like you care as well, and so yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, Jim. I appreciate your time today. I knew it would be good, and I'm glad you had a great Christmas. I wish you a happy New Year's and love to have you on again at some point.
Speaker 4: Okay, appreciate it. Hey, come to our next golf tournament. Was great to see you.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: It's going to be the same fours now.
Speaker 1: I'd love to Jim.
Speaker 4: Thank you, sir, Okay, thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Jim Herman played college ball at b YU, was the captain of that nineteen eighty four National Championship game, played in the NFL for Dallas and Cincinnati, and now working with Steve young Over in the eventual venture capitalist Space Private Equity Money.
Speaker 1: Good dude, sharp guy.
Speaker 2: Thought he would have a good perspective on the current landscape of college football, which you did. So if you missed that, it'll be up on the website of the podcast page momentarily. All right, we'll shift gears. Craig Bowler Jack joins us. Coming up next, the TV Voice the Utah Jazz on a Thursday Drive. So keep it right here on ESPN seven.
Speaker 6: Hundred line the new Swimm size with a single pill underneath. Sing the seasons of the Battle Queen Space.
Speaker 2: And the Bears, Seahawks and the Bears. Today Thursday Night Football. Right after we say good night, it'll wrap up the week seventeen slate. Hard to believe that we're almost done now with the NFL.
Speaker 1: Great stuff.
Speaker 2: Jim Herman today, former b YU Cougar, former NFL player for a number of years, and now doing some work with Steve Young in the venture capitalist private equity space, So appreciate his time. Today we are efforting Craig Bowler Jack, the TV voice of the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 1: Jazz aren't action tonight.
Speaker 2: They're taking on the Portland trail Blazers, and so we'll get to some stuff here.
Speaker 1: They've been better as of late.
Speaker 2: My fear is that they're going to accidentally win twenty five or thirty games and draft eighth or ninth again, which we'll just put this thing in a perpetual rebuild, which is of course what nobody wants, so we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 1: But they have been better. So it's a late tip tonight.
Speaker 2: It's eight o'clock because they're up in Portland and let's bring him in now, the legend himself, the TV voice of Utah Jazz on a Thursday afternoon, Craig Bowler, Jack Bowler.
Speaker 1: Happy post Christmas, sir, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm good, Spence, Happy post Christmas and happy almost New Year.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 1: I love it? I love it.
Speaker 2: Were you able to spend the holidays with that great family of yours?
Speaker 7: You know it was we got in late late, I had you know, I love Christmas Eve. I enjoyed that, had a little Christmas morning and then on a plane and we got a hit for your last night around six thirty. So yeah, quick, a quick turnaround. But that's that's the life of the NBA.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: So before we get to tonight specifically, you know, I think it's fair to say the play has been improved over the past ittle did.
Speaker 1: Of course, wins always help.
Speaker 2: Back to back wins against a couple of teams that are kind of in the same spot.
Speaker 1: The Jazz are and then they played the Cavs pretty tough.
Speaker 2: Gives I know, nobody gives a rip about that, but over the past i'd say three games or so, Craig, it feels like they've been playing a little bit better.
Speaker 1: They're a little bit more competitive. What are you see in from your seat?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you see the younger players, and I'm talking about the second year players and even the third year player and mister Walker Kessler seems to be a much more confident big in this league right now. Sends the ball has had a moment or two. Jusang has had his moments as well. It's all about consistency, Spence. You and I've talked a lot about that with Gordo, and you know that's probably the biggest issue that will faces every night is can you be consistent? Can you play and allow your miscues to two minutes instead of six?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: And I thought against even Cleveland team in the NBA, look, they were full, they weren't. They brought everybody, and you know the Jazz, you know hit a three point shot nineteen and forty four, Walker had a huge rebound game and you know, five players again in double figures. The Vets have played a role. But I think also some of the some of the younger guys are beginning to be I hate to keep using the word but connected, you know, more cohesive. They understand who they are, they understand their teammates. The turnovers are still high, but yet not as suffocating, and at least they're more competitive. And I think that's what the Jazz are looking for right now, is growth and be competitive. If you lose, that's part of the game plan, but still learning the process and hopefully that's what the Jazz are doing.
Speaker 2: You know, we've talked about the dynamic Craig and you know this as well, if not better than anybody. Oftentimes, for whatever reason, and the reasons vary, a lot of really good players for the Jazz end up going elsewhere and never fully recapturing what they were when they were here. You know the examples of Gordon Hayward, who of course got hurt, so that's different, and then d Will Darren himself, who has admitted he probably should have stuck around, but you know, he decided and he was traded, but obviously he went elsewhere with the New Jersey nets, not the Brooklyn nets, and never fully recaptured who he was here, which was one of the best lead guards in pro basketball for like four years. But the Donovan stuff, I think will always sting a little bit because he's still smack dab in the middle of his prime and he's just he's awesome. He just is. You've seen it up close for years. I don't know, did you have a chance to say hello? How does it seem to be going? He's having The numbers are pretty similar to what they have been, but his efficiency is better. He seems to be a little bit more engaged defensively, and maybe, you know, year six or seven for him, he finally realizes if he's going to answer questions come playoff time, he's got to change a little bit. Kenny Atkinson has done a great odd. That team is really good. What was it like seeing Donovan and watching what he's doing for the Cavs.
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 7: Honestly, it's hard not to just embrace the guy the smile. Five years in Salt Lake, you know, with the Jazz, I think the pressure is off a bit. I mean, Darius Garland is having a tremendous year. Evan Mobley, that's a tough threesome with the big guy Jared Allen, you know, two in the middle, and their bench with LeVert and even George Nyang former jazz man. It's weird when you go around and see the guys the Minivan, you know, one of the fan favorites during his tenure, and even Joe Joe Ingles still hanging around up in Minnesota and will Go Gobert and Conley. The names just are all over the NBA and they're still producing at a pretty high rate. But yeah, I think Donovan has found a real good home. I think they're on the cusp of being obviously competitive once again. Can they beat Boston That's yet to be seen. But at the moment, best best record in the NBA. And they're solid, they're built to win, They're fast, they hit shots. Uh, they're will cook excuse me there will coach as you said by Kenny uh and Uh it was I think you know what Spence. Even though things happened the way they did, I think Donovan still, you know, always will have a soft soft spot for the Jazz. Not not sure about jazz fans will feel about it, but there was some good times there.
Speaker 5: I mean the go Bear combo. Uh.
Speaker 7: It's sad that COVID hit and the issues from the bubble began to bubble over or not to play on words, but in reality, that's what it was.
Speaker 4: Time to move on.
Speaker 7: And it is interesting that I've talked to Booze. We got to put him in the conversation along with you Will and Heyward. There's a lot of players around the league that have great memories here and think, boy, I shouldn't have listened to, whether it's family, whether it's friends, whether it's your agent, that they had a good deal going. Boozer and d Will had a pick and roll going like Carl and John in a lot of ways. That was a very good team with a lot of good pieces. But then Slowan and d Will and we all know the story and how it went from there and was traded to New Jersey. But yeah, there's a lot of players who've come back and have mentioned that to me, that man, it was a good deal here, had a good time and I was playing some of their best basketball of their career. In fact, it never was the same after they left the Jazz. So we'll see. Donovan has proven that wrong. He's still at a very high level. Eighth year hard to believe, right, in the NBA and a five time All Star, and I don't see him slowing down anytime soon.
Speaker 2: So I wonder I referenced a couple of wins the team was able to snag on the road, and yes, neither Detroit or Brooklyn are very good. But it has been tough sledding. It will be tough sledding. Did you notice a little bit of a lighter atmosphere after a couple of wins on you know, around the team as you're kind of traveling on the road with them, did it feel like, you know, after three straight l's in a season where you haven't won a ton, just getting a couple of back to back wins on the road kind of eased the burden a little bit, I guess is what I say.
Speaker 7: You know, when your seven wins Spence and yes and at the time five and you get two on the road, I think it had to rejuvenate just the whole way you work out, the way you react to your teammates. And you know, I've talked to Will about it. Players you know have to win. I mean that's part of it. Look, they know the score too, young developments, you got the vets in here, try to help, and then you have the Vets play it. They're playing pretty well by the way Sexton Collins, you know, and Marketing's had a little more of a breakout game of those two games because some other other players were scoring. But you know, it is what it is. But to win it gives you the the pri back the hard work says, Okay, that paid off tonight because they didn't make as many mistakes or they hit free throws, they hit threes, they played really good defense. Mind you, team defense, and that's the key. And so you're starting to see sometimes that they all come together, but they still have work to do. How do you overcome twenty eight turnovers and thirty five points in a win? You hit threes and you hit a ton of free throws. That's how you do it, and play some good d at times, not all the time, but sometimes. And that's kind of what they were able to find on the road against teams that are also trying to find their way back. You just made that point. You know, these are teams that are all talking lottery, right, and so one win could either disrupt that run to the top one of the top three picks or the number one pick along the way, and it's just going to be intriguing once we get to the trade deadline and after the All Star break. You know what direction all these teams decided to go and how it all falls into place. That's really kind of the other underline storyline that's going to continue to play out, you know, through the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: All Right, Craig, I don't really fully know how to ask this, so we're just going to give it a try, because I'll say, like when they have when Lowry's healthy, first and foremost, when Clarkson's kind of doing his thing, and obviously he's a little bit older, but there have been some pretty vintage Jordan moments over the past few games, including a nice night against the Calves and Collins got it going a little bit, and Walker, who you reference earlier to me, continues to be the feel good success story of the Jazz season period, like when they have all of their players and when they are kind of playing the style of basketball that Will wants them to play, and also when they're engaged offensively, because there's so many moments that just are not good enough at that's at that end of the floor. There's still a part of me. That's like, are they going to do the thing where they win thirty games again and draft eight or ninth? Because I watch a lot of NBA basketball, and the teams that are front facing about tanking don't necessarily have the talent on paper the Jazz do. Like watch Washington or Toronto. You know, there are some horrible, horrible teams in the league, and the Jazz at seven and twenty one are certainly near the bottom. And I know that incrementally we have seen and probably will continue to see players sit. But when they are playing at their peak, how good is your good? The old saying, do you feel like there's a chance they might be too good to essentially be back in the lottery with a great chance to get the number one pick and maybe win thirty thirty two games a draft eight or ninth because part of me is scared we might be headed for that again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Spence, It's the hottest topic of conversation is that there are talented players on this Jazz team, Okay, and there are the veterans and Walker, as you just said, it's been rumored to be in multiple conversations, and a lot of people like what Walker can and.
Speaker 4: His defense has improved.
Speaker 7: His free throw shooting has not, and that's going to be the biggest issue for him moving forward in my opinion. But he put together the players you just mentioned, and you let them run free, I think, and let them play an intermix with some of the younger guys that the Jazz have drafted. Yeah, I could see thirty wins and flirting with in or out once again of the playoffs or the play in I should say that's not what the Jazz want to do. And I would say that prior to the trade deadline, one of those veterans we just spoke of or two most likely won't be here and that will be the deciding factor again like it has been the last two seasons, of helping a career along and also Spence potentially and this is just me right talking potentially allowing them to improve their trade status to help the Jazz, if that makes sense. John Collins has had a fantastic year. I thought it was the MVP through the first twenty or so games. Now Walker has made a step up. And we know what Sexton is and we know what jay c is all about. Do they stay do they go? But I think they've improved their trade status. That would only help the Jazz if that's the direction that Danny and Justin decided to go, and I think you would agree that then, like with Olenik and Fontechio last year, just put the Jazz to who they were and they put the guys on the floor to finish out the season. I can't remember because I try to forget. I think the Jazz lost twenty four to the last twenty seven. Am I closest I believe that.
Speaker 4: I think it's the way it.
Speaker 7: Went, and I think it's kind of probably the same game plan to see what draft, you know, more picks that may come Danny's way if they do decide to move the Vets, who I think have helped themselves with another contract or potentially a team that needs them to push them further deeper into the playoffs. But again that's going to play itself out. But I don't think Sexton has hurt himself. I don't think Jac's hurt himself. I think John has really improved after his first year with the Jazz to help himself. If they do decide to move him to another spot, He's only helped himself become a better player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and none of these decisions are are easy to make. It just it just makes you curious as to, you know, how long it's going to take to get this thing on track, because it just feels like there's so many people around the community that are just bummed out that there has not been a tremendous amount of tangible progress over the three years now almost three years since they traded go Baron Mitchell. But it's hard to do in the modern day NBA, Craig, because it's a different landscape now. And you know, I've just kind of been considering what the direction could look like for the Jazz to get back to where we're accustomed to seeing them get back to, and certainly it feels like the draft has to be that avenue. But the draft picks the Jazz have hit on recently have turned out to only be temporary residents of this community.
Speaker 1: They leave after a few years.
Speaker 2: So as far as as far as the macro view long term, I guess what I'll say is what gives you the most confidence that you're going to be calling winning basketball sooner.
Speaker 1: Rather than later.
Speaker 7: Well, that's another question, you know, I asked myself, I'll be totally transparent. It's difficult t and I talked about it all the time. Look, I'm into business because.
Speaker 4: I love the game.
Speaker 7: I like, you know, I love football as well. Anything they've given me a chance to do during my career. I jump in the booth and I want competitive, competitive game. I love winning. Of course it makes my job easier. But you get to know these guys, especially on the Jazz side, and you go, wow, they're good guys on top of it. You know, it's hard not to like sex, and it's hard not to like JC. And I've got to know John Collins.
Speaker 4: You know, good guy.
Speaker 7: But it may be a while.
Speaker 5: Honestly.
Speaker 7: You make a great point that the Jazz have developed players in the past, but yet they choose to leave, and it does happen in other cities as well. Salt Lake is not by itself, but it's still is probably the biggest concern the franchise has. And I've watched it myself, as have you over the years, and Donovan would be one of those. The Jazz decided to move Rudy and got assets back, but he liked it here. And I think the foreign the uptick and foreign play and talent. I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the equation for more than just the Jazz, many several other franchises that may have to depend on a lowry market. And per Se who actually do like the slower pace, who loves the mountains because he's from Finland reminds him of a bit of home, does play a part of his decision making. He actually liked it in salt Lake, and you know a lot of players do when they come back and visit. That's interesting, right, But it's you know, Boo's likes it here, Dee Will decided to stick around here, and Hayward wanted to maybe come back at one point in time. So it's interesting that the dynamics of Salt Lake growing at a rapid rate, by the way, and will that change that may be down the road a discussion we'll all get into is how much is salt Lake changing? What will down to the town look like? What did the Olympics in thirty four bring again? And maybe it's you know, it turns and maybe players find themselves more intrigued to stay and work a career. But what happens Spence as I ramble, But it's true, you win, and things good things usually happen. Cleveland not the best destination point in my opinion as a traveler and as I jump in, but they find ways to keep players there because they win and they have chances to win titles. And that's what it becomes. If you have if you have the title or the chance to win a title, they will come for how long not probably too long, but enough of that window to give you the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Before I saw you lose Craig some good stuff there.
Speaker 2: I want to bring you into really what's become the national conversation surrounding pro basketball about lack of interest and lack of ratings, and the conversation at this point has become exhausting because I think there have been a number of different theories thrown out there that are just basically noise and garbage. But one of the consistent themes I hear not just from media members who cover the league, not just people who are kind of in the league, but fans who have been watching pro basketball from a macro viewpoint, not just Jazz basketball. They don't like the product as much. It's three point heavy and Kevin Durant, if you miss Durant's like diatribe on the lead right now. I thought it was really good, and he's right, like, there are plenty of guys taking threes that have no business taking threes. It's just the analytics tell you that, you know, thirty eight percent from three is better than a contested eighteen foot mid range shot, So let's not take those anymore. And ultimately, it seems like all these coaches have leaned into relying a lot on the three point shot.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't agree with the statement.
Speaker 2: That I've heard a couple of times all the teams play the same because teams go about trying to get their looks differently, and when you have Steph Curry, it's a little different thing than if you have Colin Sexton. I'll due respect, but you travel and you go on the road, you call all these games.
Speaker 1: Do you think the product is down?
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like there's more talented players in pro basketball now than there ever has been, and that's just evolution and growth of the modern athlete. But do you feel like the product has suffered what a lot of people believe to be the reason for these declining ratings this year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, these conversations are everywhere and Spence talk about it on the road in the press room, and there's concern there absolutely what's wrong with a mid range jumper because analytics have started to come into play more and more, and that's something I think the league has to step back and ask. You know, basketball has three levels of scoring, not one. You know, you can go play low in the post, and the old big man day came and gone, and the mid range game has come and now it's taken out to the three point line. And also I think the All Star Game became part of the issue where it was just a playground. Look, I think people like competition, they like the entertainment part, but you know what, when we become so open where a guy throws a half court pass, guy catches it and nobody even comes into defend, these guys are just having a great time and they still want competition, and I think that's what the league has to be very careful about. I'm glad to see Adam Silver actually try something new with the All Star weekend that there is still competitive to bring back competitive play. I don't know how it's gonna work, but at least they're trying. But I am concerned that it's that it's only a three point league, and maybe this happens down the ranks. Suspence, this happens with aau that it's just a three point game. Kids watch Sports Center or whatever, you know, whatever you choose, and they only see the highlight of the day, which is what it's a game winning three, or it's a three point barrage by Sam Merrill, let's say, from Utah State Bountiful High who has that one thing the big t always talks about it.
Speaker 5: You can do.
Speaker 7: You can knock down eight threes against us, which he did the last time out before we saw him in Cleveland a few days ago, but then he warmed up again. So it's it's how we all absorbed the game and what we see. And I think in network television the three ball is celebrated quite a bit. Steph Curry obviously is a master at hitting the three, and we lose our focus on what Durant actually and Booker do in Phoenix, two of the best mid range shooters in the NBA. But that doesn't really stir the pot. That doesn't that doesn't, you know, really feed the beast of highlights or the three point shot is keen and I think it's something the league has got to take a look at and be careful with. We talked about this recently and again, tell me I'm crazy, but should the league limit how many three point shot attempts that a team can take? It's something to think about, right, is it forty? And then after that you've got to make sure you have a few left in your belt in the fourth quarter. It's something to think about. But I you know, as more and more fans get a little bit more turned off by this, I think the league has to really take a long, hard look and decide what direction they want to go. It has its purpose, But you know what, I don't mind some low post play. I like to see some good hard, you know, defense down low in the post, like quote the old days. But also I like the mid range game. It's a three three level league, but not much lately. I'm talking about scoring three level scoring. But there's concerns out there. I hear it all the time.
Speaker 2: All right, bowler, Well, I appreciate your time. On a game day, I'll be hoping for a good game tonight, if for no other reason, so you can call some good basketball jazz Blazers, So have a great call. Travel safle chat soon.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you, thank you, since that's the key, be competitive, man, so that that impacts the fans. Right the TV sets stay on and you'll like to see good competition. So that's all I pray for every night, man. That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 2: Tonight, no doubt, Thank you, sir. Be well, okay, all right, take care, all right. Coming up on the other side, Gordon Monson stops, but I will get back to some college football at Gordon as BYU is in action on Saturday against Colorado. The latest on the transfer portal for the Utes, and we'll do at a little NFL if time allows.
Speaker 1: With Gordon. We also have Eric Weddle on the show today.
Speaker 2: Former Ute, you can called out about a half hour from right now, move over to Zach Harper later on. We'll say goodnight at six o'clock in time for some Thursday night football to drive on a Thursday, So keep it right here on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: We're Bullhos on the road tonight.
Speaker 2: God Garret Weddle, he's gonna stop by just in about twenty five minutes from right now. Former Youths always appreciate his time. Zach Harper for a little NBA later on as well, but joining us now the day after Christmas, My guy, my old radio partner, still over at the Salt Lake Tribune doing great work. Gordon Monson on a Thursday afternoon, Gordo, happy post Christmas, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing just fine, Thanks Spence, and same to you. I hope you have a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was fun, just real quick.
Speaker 2: Are you still participating with the crew diss festivities by making that little bean cast role while least asked to make everything else?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I do that for Thanksgiving, but for Christmas she does. She does an old family tradition Italian dinner that I try not to mess up. So in fact, one time I tried to help, she kicked me out of the kitchen. Oh dear, yeah, she kicks me out. So no, but we have a really good day. And I got to tell you something. Do you have a turntable?
Speaker 1: I have a record player?
Speaker 5: Record play well whatever?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: My daughters gave me that yesterday along with four Beatles albums nice And I can't tell you the last time I actually took a needle and put it down on some vinyl. Man, it was it's been fun. Let's hear it for the old style.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. It's a great way to listen.
Speaker 2: And also I still like listening to albums, and these days, you know, these days it's like they released a single, you call up Spotify and you can listen to albums. But what I like about my record players, I just turned to put a record on and listen to the entire album.
Speaker 1: So I still very much enjoy that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's and there's something about the sound, even you know, the little imperfections at times.
Speaker 4: It just makes it.
Speaker 5: It makes it feel real. And so I just listened to the White album and it was it was fantastic. And by the way, you know a lot of people say different things they like about John Lennon, but that song he wrote to his mom Julia, is that not just the sweetest thing you ever heard? I mean, it's just fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tremendous songwriter, one of the best of all time.
Speaker 2: You know that I'm a Lennon over McCartney guy, But McCartney's awesome too.
Speaker 1: You can you can like both, Gordon. You're allowed to.
Speaker 5: Write, Yes, indeed, mcclemen.
Speaker 2: I love it, love it all right, really illuminating conversation with Jim Herman earlier. Jim used to join you and I on our old show from time to time, and he's a smart guy. He's a former Cougar, played in the NFL, and now he's working with Steve Young and you know, in the private equity VC space and they've been very successful, very smart guys. We were talking about just the current chaos in college football and Gordon they have free agency while the season is still being played.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it's like beyond insane.
Speaker 2: This can't continue, yes, I mean you have coaches preparing teams to try to win a national championship and then they wrap up practice and they've got to run, you know, the interference to make sure their players aren't transferring. DYU has players in the transfer portal that will not play on Saturday, and they're even teams in the CFP that have had players enter the tand like, this can't continue. Yes, this has to change.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I agree with you one percent. They've got to do something. There's a lot of things. It's amazing to me that something that's as popular as college football can have the numerous problems or issues that it needs to have solved, and this is one of them. And it seems like it would be fairly easy at least to make it look like it's done without the chaos. Now it actually preventing the chaos maybe a different matter, but at least make it seem like it a little more difficult for this to happen the way it is. And there's other problems to Spence. And I hate to say it because you and I both love college football, but you know, the SEC is trying to run college football. You know, you heard all the complaints about the first round games in the playoff, and you know, I thought it was interesting that the SEC and the Big Ten were actually kind of sniping at each other over you know, Indiana shouldn't have been in there. They got crossed by Notre Dame. And then other people say, well, wait a minute, look at Tennessee, look what happened there. I mean, it's just there's all this stuff going on, and maybe it's always been that way, but this is the first batch that we're all sort of looking at right now.
Speaker 2: So I mean, ultimately, and I talked about this with Jim. You and I have kind of kicked the tires on it. I just Gordon, I feel like they've got to rip the band aid off and they've got to lean into the pro model. And that's not a super popular take because from what I've read and from what I understand, coaches want that.
Speaker 1: I think it would be better for the players.
Speaker 2: The players aren't necessarily being adversely affected right now because they're finally making money, which they always should have been able to do in a free market system. They now just have the same basic economic rights you and I have, So I'm for that, But there really isn't any issue the teems to be plaguing college football right now that can't be solved by simply leaning into the pro model and allowing players to collectively bargain and unionize. And the question is where's the central leadership? What does the college football equivalent of the Commissioner's office in the NFL look like?
Speaker 1: And it feels like a lot of.
Speaker 2: These private equity guys are going to get involved and buy stakes and teams, and maybe there's something there, but there's a lot of red tape you have to traverse. I know administrators don't love this idea. They don't want there. I'll just use the term even though I'm gonna puke in my mouth. Student athletes to be employees, you know they don't. And schools are owned in no small part by states, and private institutions have different challenges. Public institutions, you probably have to include the governor and you probably have to include our local legislators to figure out something to be done if you want to buy forty eight percent of Utah football. But I can tell you and you know, if the venture capitalists, private equity guys get involved with this, they will make sure it's ran the right way because one thing rich people don't like to do is lose money on investments.
Speaker 1: They want to make sure their money's taken care of.
Speaker 2: This feels like an angle where maybe the guys in charge the money and the golden rule is you know, we know the golden rule.
Speaker 1: The man who has the gold makes the rules.
Speaker 2: Maybe they can come up with a governing body with central leadership to get this thing going in the right direction. So give me your thoughts on that type of approach, because something it needs to be done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, however that will be formed. Please don't let the government get involved in it because I mean, legislature screw everything up. They screw up a lot of things, right. I don't want to get political or but it's just there's got to be a way. But it just takes college football. It just takes them forever. It's glacial the way they move. And what's happened is we saw how long it took them to expand the playoff, right, I mean we had all that run up to it, and all those arguments and discussion leading up to what seems like it should have been in place a long time ago. And I don't care if they expand it, but it just takes forever to get it to go. And now all these issues come about relatively quickly, and it's so cumbersome. It's like turning an aircraft carrier. It's difficult to get these guys to come together to do what's best for the game and maybe for the student athlete. If you use that term again, I agree with you. Private equity firms will get involved, it will be professionalized, and when that happens, then those people are going to insist upon having a little more organization, a better form to what they're dealing with, because they will make money when they get involved in it, and the colleges will accept their influence and their money because they love money. That's why that's what they'll do. And I think it will be fixed. It's just a matter of how long it's going on.
Speaker 2: Page probably excuse me strictly from a BYU standpoint. You know, it's interesting when the Aj Debanson news was announced and then the nil figure of seven million dollars to play basketball at brigab Young for five months was floated out there, automatically folks pointed to Ryan and Danny, Ryan Smith and Danny Ainge. Danny, of course, was in Massachusetts when Aj was growing up, and my understanding is he met with a family a couple of times Ryan sent out on social media, did not know essentially pay Aj. You can color me unconvinced that that's the case, but ultimately I do believe that BYU's collective with money from Ryan and others. I've been told they have nine seven figure donors right now, and Utah's number isn't that high. I think it's three or four for Utah, and there is a bit of an arms race. But what do you attribute most to what appears to be a pretty successful traversing of the space with the early data size from Brigham Young.
Speaker 1: At this point, because.
Speaker 5: They do have the money, they have access to the money. It's funny because in the past and by years gone by, they've always had certain people in place to help them. It was a matter whether the institution itself, by institutions, they take it all the way up to the church, whether they would be willing to accept that and set that model in place. And so the money has been there, and contrary to what a lot of people think, I don't think it's necessarily church money pouring into these things. However, you can figure out whichever category you want the way you know, the stacks, the piles are on the table he or there, and maybe they get mixed up sometimes. But I think it's just coming from very motivated boosters who want to be involved with what's happened. And I've always wanted to be involved, and now they've been given the green light to do exactly that. So that's what BYU has done and Utah. I don't know where the line is between Utah catching up and where BYU is, but Utah will close the gap. I'm relatively certain of that. Because their folks are going to rally too, And.
Speaker 2: That's where I wanted to go next, because we both have sort of teased this potential good news coming down the pipeline for Utah football, and I continue to try to gently walk around the subject a little bit without betraying the trust of people that have informed you of certain things. But I know you've been informed of similar things, and I've been told the timeline hopefully you know, end of January, maybe February ish. But the type of transaction that is in the works right now regarding Utah and what this could look like for the athletic department and the football team specifically, let's call it how it is, should really excite you fans.
Speaker 1: And I don't know that I can say anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you have anything else to add, but right now, the narrative around town is that in this arms race, BYU is lapping Utah. And certainly from a basketball standpoint, when you lock in a generational talent and then a football standpoint, when you just come off a ten win season and have an allible bowl matchup against an intriguing team, it's easy to connect the dots and say, right now BYU appears to be in the lead.
Speaker 1: But any anything.
Speaker 2: Else you'd like to add about this potential really exciting news for Utah Athletics that is coming down the pipeline within the next few months.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, you and I whispered back and forth about it, and I know you have your sources, I have mine. I think Utah well is in a good position to uh, to get a little deeper pockets and to close that gap that you were speaking of. As far as the way it's gonna pertain to basketball, that I don't know, because it just seems like utall basketball right now. I don't even know how to really describe it. As far as the program itself, and as far as the ability to draw fans put fans in the seats, that's where BYU is really out doing the utes right now. But football, you wouldn't expect football to be relatively even in this regard because of the success the youths have had in recent years or recent decades. I guess and I think it's it's going to come. It's going to happen, and youth fans don't fret too much because it's going to be put in place in a way that I think, as far as the money goes, will be extremely competitive. And if there's money there and it's properly utilized, then guess what follows wins success and that will be in place for both Utah and BYU.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I concur there with that last point. So as of now, according to twenty four to seven Sports, University of Utah has the number twenty two ranked transfer portal class.
Speaker 1: They have twelve commits.
Speaker 2: BYU is down at this point fifty seven with four commits. There have been a few BYU players who announced that they're in the portal that will not be playing on Saturday, which is wild as we talked about, namely Crew Wakeley, one of their really good defensive backs. But from a Utah perspective, they've had to rely on transfers. Twelve in coming thirteen actually with some news that came down with the Utah state wide receiver. But they're losing twenty two players. Well, they're twenty two players in the portal. You gotta be careful. But at this point, Cameron Calhoun has already committed to Alabama and then right before we signed off air on Monday, was announced that Keyato Tnavasa, which hurt badly, is also in the portal. Now he hasn't announced his intention. Maybe he comes back. But Utah football is essentially rebuilding. It's like a one year rebuild. I mean it's going to be a new quarterback, a new running back, new defensive lineman, new defensive backs, and BYU seems to be relying more on continuity and growth in house that worked for them a year ago.
Speaker 1: Two different models. Are you confident that both can work?
Speaker 2: I mean, Arizona State just showed us and Kenny Dillingham just showed us that you can get this thing going quickly. I mean Arizona State was a program left for dead after Herm Edwards left it in in shambles, and they're winning their champs of the Big Twelve. They're in the CFP with a first round by So if you're a BYU fan or a youth fan, I guess right now mostly just.
Speaker 1: A youth fan because BYU had a good year.
Speaker 2: There are models to look at that indicate that you can get this thing going in the right direction in the Big Twelve quickly.
Speaker 1: But if you're a.
Speaker 2: Rebuilding like Utah is, how realistic is that next year.
Speaker 5: Well, what is contrasting to this idea of what Utah will need to do is what they've done in the past. Think about how they've developed players in the past. Well, the past isn't the present. I mean, if BYU wants to try and follow that model because they had a successful year this year and they think they can develop by recruiting high school athletes and then maybe filling in a few transfers here and there, then if they think they can do that, then.
Speaker 4: They did it.
Speaker 5: They did it this year. But you know a lot of BYU's games were pretty tight, and so for I've heard that said by some of the folks down at BYU that hey, we had a really good year. We don't need to change a whole lot of things. Well, you got to keep progressing because if you just sit where you were, I'm not sure that's going to get it done. And maybe some of those games that were so close this last year, you know, it just it may not work out in your favor moving forward.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I understand that all the teams are whittling down to that one oh five number, and so they've got to unload some players. But you heard Kyle Whittingham say as the season ended that they were going to go out and get forty new players, half of them via the transfer portal, and that that's right on schedule, and the others are other recruits. And I just don't think the difference between the programs this last year were that great. Yeah, BYU had the upper hand and they had the far better season, but man, I'll tell you, that line is pretty thin, and you you always got to progress forward or else someone's going to catch you or lap you or beat you. And so I think BYU is they don't want to disrupt the chemistry they have down there, and I guess I understand that, and they feel like the culture is pretty good. So you know the old saying, if he broke and by fix it, but you got to continually add talent. But Utah is doing exactly that out of sheer necessity. Man, last year, that just isn't going to sit well with Utah fans, nor with the coaches that are on hand, or the players for.
Speaker 1: That matter, Utah State.
Speaker 2: You know, Bronco's got work to do, And I'm just curious as to get your take on how long you think this will take Bronco to kind of get on the right direction.
Speaker 1: They have two incoming transfers.
Speaker 2: Miles Davis, who was at BYU last year, is going to go up and play at Utah State. Kidnamed Brevin Hamblin, who I don't know much about, is also going to play up in Logan Auto Tea, a really good wide receiver up there just announce his intent to come to Salt Lake to play for the youth.
Speaker 1: So he was in the transfer portal and now he is not coming back.
Speaker 2: They currently have twenty seven players in the transfer portal. And we talked last week about Broncos pedigree of really being able to He's been tasked with turnarounds at at least two different spots, if not three, and has shown that he is up for this challenge. But for our Aggie fans, Gordon, how long do you think it's going to take Bronco to get this thing back where it needs to.
Speaker 5: Be a little while it won't be immediate, but you will see immediate improvement. Why Because bronkleman and holds a good coach, and he knows how to motivate players, and I think in some cases recognize what needs to be plugged in where I mean the first year he was the head coach at BYU. The fact that BYU went to a bowl game that year unbelievable with the talent they had at that particular time. What were they I was six and six. I can't remember the exact numbers. But he really turned it there. He turned it at Virginia, and he'll turn it at Utah State, and he turned it into New Mexico too, in a positive direction. So you can mark this down now. And I'm a little hesitant to say this since I also predicted that the youths were to win the conference and go to a college football playoff this last year. So take this for what it's worth. But I think Bronkleman in the hall will turn that program around. And if I had to give you a timeframe, I think I would say within two years.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I like that, but it is going to take a minute, for sure.
Speaker 2: But his pedigree is a program kind of rebuilder, is undeniable. All right, before we set you loose, I don't know what to ask you about the jazz, but we had Bowler on last segment, and so what I'll ask is the same question asked him. If you looked in the Gordon Motts and Godfather Crystal Ball. When will Craig Bowlerjack be calling high level winning basketball.
Speaker 5: Again, I would Well, I'll say it this way. At first, all the Jazz fans out there are the root.
Speaker 4: For the Jazz to lose.
Speaker 5: That's just what has to happen. You and I have talked about this before. Root for the Jazz to lose and celebrate every time they do. That's a good news bad news thing, because yeah, you want to develop a few of the players that you have, but I think some of the few useful pieces of the Jazz can improve greatly as talent is added to them. And the only way they could really do that unless Danny Inge is going to outsmart somebody in some kind of big deal that nobody sees right now. It's going to take some time, but they have to have fortuitous draft picks, and if they do that, then a time frame there. Spence, I really wonder whether it will happen within Bowler's time frame. And what I mean, what Bowler's going to work until he's ninety five, right, I mean, so I guess it might happen within his career, but it's not going to happen for a number of years.
Speaker 2: If I asked you to send me a picture of the bean cast role next Thanksgiving, is that something that you're willing to do, Because I'm not convinced that you actually do this.
Speaker 5: I will send you a picture. You know, I'm surprised nobody has asked me for that in the past. But I do have testimonials if you're willing to accept those, but I will take a picture and send it along. I do that. I mean I made when Quinn Steinder was here, he came up with that chocolate dessert pie thing, ice cream pie thing, and I replicated that I took a picture of it and sent it to him, and he was impressed. And I've been bragging for forty three years about my great spaghetti, and my kids never believed me. And I whipped up a batch earlier, a couple of months ago, took a picture of it. They all were I'd say, well, let me say it this way. There used to be a show called The Galloping Gourmet. It was a cooking show. And I will confess that this particular jockey in the kitchen is at a slow trot right now.
Speaker 2: The Galloping Gourmet let's see when when was this? This was like nineteen sixty eight. Gordon, what do you do referencing a show that was on in the sixties.
Speaker 5: Well, look my favorite music. When I talk to you about the Beatles, you know, I'm maybe I'm then just stuck in that time war from some sport. I don't know, but I do remember that show. And like I said, I'm just trotting along. It's trotting, not galloping. Trotting.
Speaker 1: Hey, well, it's better than standing still.
Speaker 2: As long as you keeping you keep moving forward, Gordon, that's all we ask. All right, my friend. If I don't see her, talk to you. Happy New Year to you and yours. Thanks for the time, and we'll get you on soon.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, Bence, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: All right, the great Gordon Monson from the Salt Lake Tribune, my longtime radio partner back in the old days, brought to you today by Clearwater Distilling. It's the only distillery and Utah County open on Sundays. With the holidays around the corner, make Clearwater a one stop shop. With their bottles, swag and gift cards. They make the perfect stocking stuffer. It's a perfect time, right now because they just did a major rebrand of their cinema and whiskey. It's now called Canela Cinnamon Whiskey, formerly their Scandalust. If you need a spot to celebrate this holiday season with your loved ones or your co workers, make it clear Water Distilling. Their Victorian tasting room makes a great date night or a fun activity anytime. You can buy their spirits and stay liquor stores online or make a trip to their beautiful distillery. More can be found at Clearwaterdistilling dot com. All right, about two hours down. We got about two hours to go. Eric Weddell and Zach Harper are your four o'clock hour. Some college football and some NBA, So keep it right here on ESPN seven hundred silk tampty, silk trampty coaches, let me check it out to you. Zach Barber is gonna roll by.
Speaker 1: NBA daily assist style.
Speaker 2: Good NBA games yesterday, a couple of NFL games that were just blowouts. The week of pro football wraps up tonight. We have the Thursday night game. It's the Bears in the Seahawks. You'll hear that right after we say it out at six o'clock. But let's do some more college football. One of our favorites, the legend himself, Eric Weddle, on a Thursday, he went, happy post Christmas, buddy, how are we doing.
Speaker 8: I'm doing fantastic merk Christmas to you and the fam. I hope everyone had a great one. Good to be on.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time as always.
Speaker 2: And you know, we find ourselves in such an interesting landscape Eric, as you know, and I've been talking about it all show with college football guests, excited to get.
Speaker 1: Your take on it.
Speaker 2: We have free agency while the season is still going on, you know, like coaches are trying to coach, like Kalonie's getting ready for a good game Alible Bowl against Colorado. He's got like ten kids that are in the portal that aren't going to play in the game.
Speaker 1: And then there are teams.
Speaker 2: That are trying to win a national championship and coaches are trying to prepare for the biggest games of the season and their players are into the transfer port Like, help me fix the sport that you and I both love.
Speaker 8: Gosh, I mean, that's gone a whole hour about this, the way the state of college football is and how it's affecting the high school kids the most. I mean, of all the kids that are getting the shafts and all this, it's the high school kids. And now it's a JC rule going through. If it stands, why would any coach recruit high school kids when you can recruit JC kids that have two years that won't count against their eligibility for the four year schools. So there's a lot of craziness, a lot of things that I don't agree with. And it's pay to play. It's not name, image and likeness. Where can I go to make the most money. And it's not culture building. It's not what university could help me become a great man. And it's none of that. And it's hard to watch can fault the kids. The system is what it is. How I fixed it, I get rid of the portal. I would put some regulations on what you can earn or your name, image and like. And it's not hey give you a million dollars here to come play for me. That's not what it was designed for. So so many issues with it. It's just hard to be involved with.
Speaker 2: Tell me from your end, because you referenced how it's affecting the high school kids, and that's your space. Now you're doing some coaching, I would be genuinely curious, is somebody like you who knows how to lead? You did it as a player, both in college and the pros. What do you say to your kids as they're getting ready to enter this space where they're going to hear from colleges and potentially agents, Like how does a high school coach handle the modern landscape of college football?
Speaker 8: Right now? Eric, you got to have a good head on your shoulders, and you got to what's most important to you? Is is it to make a quick buck or is it to make relationships that I last the lifetime? Is it somewhere where you can build the right attributes to be a great man someday and to learn how to handle adversity, learn how to be a good teammate, learn how to lead. Those things happen to being part of a program, not jumping program to program every six months, trying to learn new system, try to learn your teammates, trying to learn the head coach like that stuff doesn't lead to success in my opinion. So reality is is this is what it is. I would hope for programs to start emphasizing development and building from the youth with high school kids and pouring into the younger guys that cherish and value the culture and value the program, value the team. Are we not meet type attitude? That's what I would focus in instead of trying to get the quick takes of a portal kid to just build some holes on your roster.
Speaker 2: It's it's difficult because you also have a situation here in Saul Lake Eric as we move over to the University of Utah. I mean, coach with referenced the number of forty players that they want to bring in. And that's both with high school recruits in coming to campus and then the transfer portal as well. And that essentially means that Utah football will be entirely rebuilt in one year. And in pro football or pro basketball or pro sports, you run into rebuilds every I don't know, six seven, eight years. It depends on how smart your front office is, It depends on how good your ownership is. But right now, a lot of programs, namely the University of Utah, are going to be marching out a team next year that's totally rebuilt. Like what's what's what's reasonable to expect from Utah football when they're really can have a brand new coaching staff a lot of ways in a brand new roster.
Speaker 8: Sure, yeah, I mean I don't. I don't have the answers to that. I just know turning over your roster isn't in my opinion, Kay, I'm not in it, So take my take my opinion with a grand assault, right. But I think that if you build, you know, maybe the number is fifty to fifty high school support of kids, maybe it's seventy thirty. You pick holes that you need an immediate starter right now, but you develop from within you. You almost like in the NFL, you reward a guy that you drafted with a new contract because he earned it and he's a great ambassador of your organization for the city. Like it's no different now it's a college landscape. So why do you want someone else that leaving the program for whatever reason as a stop apps. Well, if you pour into the young guys in your program, they're going to be loyal to you, Hugh Hope at the end of the day, I just don't understand for the life of me, how even gets to the point where you're entering the portal as a returning starter, Like they need to crack down on the guardrails of who's communicating with these kids, Who's who's the ones that are inside these universities knowing what they can offer these kids if they hit the portal, Like that needs to be relled in. That should be non existing. Like these kids are returning starters going to the portal for note, how do they even know that they're going to get that? Like that's it's just slimy and wrong on so many ways, and everyone's doing it. But how is that not how does that not putin so in that if you communicate with a kid, then that should be illegal and should the school should get reprimanded for it, Like it's it's just it's just, oh, this is hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard, and it's unfortunate. You know, it really is too bad. But I will say, what does it say to you about the product of college football and the sport of college football that even with the chaos off the field, the ratings keep rising and people still watch. I mean, it has to speak to the power of what this sport is that regardless of how bad the business is run, consumers still consume it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say it's a great product. The product is less than a year in a year out with the rule changes with the amount of turnover on your roster every year. That limits what you can do offen defensive festivals. Okay, so that means you're limiting what you can do, limiting what you can put out there on the field. You can't stress them enough. If they were in the system for one year, two year, three years, will they know it? That means you could expand it. That means you could push them harder. It's sign you dummy it down. So these guys can learn in a quick time. It means everyone's running the same crap. The team spread them out, you got RPOs, you got inside zone, a little sprint out action and they all line up on the side. They don't huddle out of the huddle, and I mean they don't break the huddle and they look at the silent for the route. Take What are we really teaching and developing these kids? Right? They don't know formations, they don't know motions, they don't know shifts, they don't know check with me, they don't know audible. It's type. And you get into the NFL, and that's why you see some struggle and some has a easy transition, but you know, that's what the NFL is becoming a lot of basic, generic offenses out there that are easy to translate. So I don't I don't know the landscape. It is what it is like. Basketball is horrendous to watch. Nobody watches that. Baseball is born to watch unless you're in persons. Hockey the same thing. So I think society is the only thing really exciting to watch is the NFL and college football. So it doesn't surprise me that the ratings are so high. It does know if people play the game. No, the product is not a very good product that we're watching.
Speaker 1: See that's really interesting.
Speaker 2: So let me follow up because I've not heard very many people offer the opinion that the product is suffering on the college football landscape, and you kind of outlined reasons as to why. So I guess what I'll ask you is, do you is there like this permeating fear that, in your opinion, the product will continue to suffer unless we get things figured out where there's a little more continuity. And are you concerned about the future of the sport?
Speaker 8: Well, I think I think a lot of it. I'm speaking more of the NFL compared to the CAUSE. A lot of how the NFL is run is you're limited on added practices. You're limited on how much tackling you're doing. Most cases, second of the year, you're not even intact at that moment. So it trickles down to college, like how much are you really practicing blocking and tackling? That is football? Okay? The great teams that win block the best and tackle the Bestay, it's not seven on seven, it's not. Hey, we throw the ball fifty sixty times a game, and what you're seeing is less time dedicated to that and more time to making it simplified so the guys can transition from a new school, get on the field and do what they do best.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 8: So I don't know. In my mind, I'm never gonna sacrifice steam and scheme because that gives us an advantage every time we cross the field, right, that is our advantage. We're not just gonna sacrifice that so other guys can just quickly if they can't adjust, it shouldn't be a part of our program, and maybe you should developed within. Like that's my opinion on that.
Speaker 1: Some really interesting stuff.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I feel like the narrative is a lot of folks continue to watch and really love college football despite.
Speaker 5: The kids watch.
Speaker 8: Ye, the ones that played know, the type of football that we're watching is not high level football. You could ask any old player that's played NFL or college, and when you watch it, it's not sophisticated. It's not high level x'es and o's. You're not seeing in timing, you're not seeing you know, multiple things offense, defense, Schematically, it's very vanilla, basic line up and play.
Speaker 2: Are there exceptions to that? Are there coaching staff? You like, who do you like to watch?
Speaker 8: Shoot, you're talking collegia or NFL.
Speaker 1: Either way, either level.
Speaker 8: Well, the top organizations in the league have a standard and they do what they do, you know, offensively, I think Detroit Ben Johnson, I mean, he's on he's on another level, uh, dramatically and how he draws up plays and gives the team advantage. I think Sean LeVay obviously have a close relationship with him. And you know, when you're talking collegiate uh, you know, you could say the history and how they developed their skill guys and quarterbacks for the last three years of Ohio State, But man, have they winner the last time they be one in a big game, you know, so, uh, it goes back. They beat who they're supposed to be, they get in the big game, We'll see how they do against Oregon. But you know it's, uh, you only can do with with what you have. Kay, I'm not naive. You know you have players you're coaching. If you don't win, you're probably gonna get fired. But I get that, and you got to adapt. I'm not saying don't adapt, but I'm saying, structurally, as a program, what are we laying our hat on. Are we laying our hat on you know, Bill turn out forty to fifty guys a year, or are we hanging our hat on development, culture, program building? And for me and as a lum, that's what I wish or hope that we continue to do or try to do instead of just trying to find the next plug and play player.
Speaker 2: So tell me what the confidence level is Eric with you and you know your friends that played up at the University of Utah, Because what you just described, in my opinion, describes a Kyle Whittingham program. Player development always has been and it's a new different era in college football. Do you feel like Utah and the coaching staff have adjusted, and will they still be able to use the old approach that works so well in the new day and age of college football.
Speaker 8: I think it can work, but again I'm I'm not in there. I don't know what's going on. How those conversations happened for a guy like Kyle hun Did they have a meeting with them? Did they talk about what he's getting paid? Does it need to be up for a high level starter in the Big twelve?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 8: I don't know those questions, right, And I don't know what he got at Alabama. My point is, why is even in the portal? Right?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 8: How does that even happen where they think I can get more? I'm not happy here? Like what is when is enough enough?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: And so I don't know. I think they're going too much portal kids and not enough younger guys and keeping them. But I don't know the situation. Are they being told to leave right?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 8: Do they not want to be there because they're back? Und I don't know those questions. So it's hard for me to say what I wish we would do because I'm not intimate in those conversations in the roster buildings and what they have compared to what they need. So I just would say what I would do, and I would try to do it like sixty forty seventy thirty of high school development and then those two to four players you need to plug and play because you have a hole. You go find those guys and get them.
Speaker 2: When we last had you on and Eric weddles with us to the former Youth Legend Super Bowl CHAMPI when we last had you on, Eric, we weren't sure if coach wit was coming back and there was not an offensive coordinator. Well in the time that's past. Kyle whittied Ham is elected to come back for year twenty one and Jason Beck is the new OC. Just wanted to get your reaction when you heard those two pieces of news.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I expected coach with to come back. I mean if I doesn't want to go out like that, you know, with the situation with Morgan hanging in the balance, and was it this year? Is it next year? Like, I think that needs to be communicated with everyone, right, Like we're not hanging at the NFC for the recruits for the program, but I'm guys coming back. He's the legend. You know, I wouldn't be here today I'll coach with so I think it's better that he's around and moving forward, you know. With the offensive coordinator, I don't know, you know, like I hope, I hope they hired a great guy and he's innovative and he pushes the limit and he makes our offense better than one it's been because we've struggled at times and we've been really good at times. And then I think a lot of times it comes back to players, and you can only do so much as a coach, right, Players win games. Coaches most times find ways to lose.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 2: H interesting perspective, all right, Before I say you loose, I just want to get I know you're in a lum and I know you love the staff, and I know you love the team, and I know you're always going to look at it through a ute positive lens.
Speaker 1: But there is a there's a feel around here.
Speaker 2: There's a nervous feel from the fan base that after a rough, rough year and you know, a new coaching staff and talented players leaving either via graduation or transfer portal, that this next season might feel like the last. I'm going to ask you Eric, before I show you loose, what gives you the most confidence that year two in the Big twelve will look better than your one did well?
Speaker 8: I mean, we have a standard, and the standard is that we're a top knots program on and off the fields. Okay, that didn't happen last year for a number of reasons. Reality is, we didn't get it done, So changes were made. You got to hope and believe that the higher end on the offensive side and the system that he's going to bring in place is going to be a good one that to maximize our potential offensively defense, we're always going to have a top Knox defense. So if we could couple our offensive productions, then we'll be one of the best things of the Big twelve in the country. And that's been the case for the last fifteen years, so that doesn't change. I will always have confidence that we play our style of football offensive and sust things we could be anybody on the field. Now we couple it with people counts that football players play together. Players one, you got a special team. If you can't have that dynamic with the team and how close they are playing together and playing complmer a football, then you're gonna struggle. That's whether you have new coaches or not.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, Eric, I appreciate the time, man. I always appreciate the truth telling. So I'll wish you a happy New Year. Thank you for your time. I'll love to have you back on soon.
Speaker 8: Okay, you got it, but anytime.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: The great Eric Weddle legendary career here and then killed it in pro football, won a Super Bowl probably high speed out of the Hall of Fame. Certainly should be appreciate Eric's time. On this Thursday afternoon, we're gonna shift gears and do a little NBA and some jazz. Coming up, we're back to college football in the five o'clock hour. Zach Harper will join us on the other side of a quick break. But let's welcome in Ryan from the dish professionals. During the holiday season, you probably spend a lot of time at home. Well, how's your Internet? Are you paying too much for it? How's your television watching experience? Do you look at your streaming and cable bill and bemoan how much you're paying for it? How about your wireless situation? You and your family affordable options for all three of those with Ryan from the Dish pros if you dial eight oh one, four to two four Dish, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Ryan?
Speaker 2: All right, we'll try to get Ryan back on. He dropped. My guess is he's driving around town running Samarons. So we're gonna bring in Zach Harper. Coming up, we'll get back to college football in the five o'clock hour. Want to remind you that you can hear the final game of the Pro Football Weeks last weekend coming up tonight on the station. It is going to be the Seahawks and the Bears live at Soldier Field in Chicago. It's a must win for Seattle if they want to stay alive in the playoff race. Chicago. At this point, you might as well just lose to get better draft capital, surround your young quarterback with better pieces. Seattle five point favorite over Unders forty one point five. It looks like it'll be a decent forecast in Chicago for this time of year, about forty six degrees, so that'll come your way coming up after we say goodnight. The Jazz are in action tonight taking on the Portland Trailblazers. That is going to be an eight o'clock kicktime excuse me. Football on the mind eight o'clock tiptime, Jazz and the Blazers in action tonight, and then obviously College Football Bowl Season rolling along a couple of days away from BYU Colorado coming up on Saturday. Then hopefully the quarterfinals of the CFP are a little bit better than the first round. So that's kind of the bulk of the show today. Pat Riley came out today and said the Miami Heat are not trading Jimmy Butler. So for all the teams that were hoping to grab Jimmy Butler, apparently he's off the table. I'll just tell you to give Ryan from the Dispros a call numbers eight oh one, four to two four dish.
Speaker 1: That's eight oh one four too four dish.
Speaker 2: You gonna bring in Zach Harper coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred. The Red Hot Utah Jazz are in action tonight, taking on the Portland Trail Blazers. The Jazz have won two of three two teams in an't graded basketball we'll do battle. We had a fun Christmas Day slate of games. Porter is out of town, which means I'm picking the music today, so you might not know that it's Zach Harper, no pit bull, but Zach I figured a little roundball round round ball rock would be good this this Thursday.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's the only acceptable substitution.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, I'm glad I knock that out of the park. What did Christmas Day look like at the Harper household this year?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, it was great.
Speaker 9: We cooked, we opened presents, we we watched basketball, We played Clue, we played that.
Speaker 2: We did everything you played Clue, the old school board game.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, that's a big battle with with my with my nieces and my sister and my brother in law. Like it's a it's a big battle we do every time they're here.
Speaker 1: Gotta love it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, man, The Christmas Day NBA slate was great.
Speaker 1: Football games were a blowout.
Speaker 2: But what were some of the more enjoyable moments of watching NBA basketball on Christmas Day?
Speaker 9: I mean, I think, like we could start with Wemby right, Like Wemby forty two points eighteen rebounds, Like he was just remarkable. And I think, you know, while he's been good for a while and we've obviously known that he's great and everything, and we've seen some incredible stat lines out of him. He had a bad game at Madison Square Garden last year as a rookie. I was very early on in his rookie season. He hadn't really found his footing yet.
Speaker 4: But to follow that up, I.
Speaker 9: Think he had like fourteen points on fourteen shots in that one. To follow that up with forty two eighteen four and four hitting six three is like, he's just unreal.
Speaker 4: And then and then that whole moment.
Speaker 9: With you know, Steph leaving that comeback against the Lakers, and and and then Austin Reeves getting that lay up at the end. I mean, it's just that was That's the kind of action the NBA needs. When the NFL starts encroaching on everything that they're doing on Christmas Day, do.
Speaker 2: You feel like it's intentional? Do you feel like it's an and I thought Lebron after the game, I love the NFL, but this is our day.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it calculated by the NFL to do this or do they just exist in a different stratosphere where the rules don't really apply to them.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think I think it's both. Like, I think it's intentional and I think the rules don't apply to the NFL because they're the NFL. But they I mean, they've played, they played two football games on a Wednesday. Like, you can't tell me that's not intentional. If it falls on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday. For them to throw games out on those days on a Wednesday, it doesn't even make sense with their scheduling in the slightest and so it's definitely intentional. But also, you know, I don't think they care if the NBA is upset. They don't have to be friends with the NBA. But none of that has to be the case. That's kind of like, you know, not to I'm gonna here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna be a blogger from twenty eleven and make a comparison to the wire. It's like when you know, Marlow starts trying to go for everybody's corners, Like that's what it is like. The NFL is going for the NBA's corners.
Speaker 2: Welcome into the Bill Simmons Podcast with Zachar I just playing, kids, I just playing, and I you know, I thought I thought it was a good day for the league.
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you heard this but Bob Myers before before the Laker Warrior game, he said there are only three superstars in the league right now, Lebron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant. Well, what's your take on that? What your and why do you think he made that statement?
Speaker 9: I think those are the three stars the NBA knows how to market right now. I mean, you know, like even I don't know how real these numbers are what they mean. But you know, there was some top ten list of like the NBA put out of like the most viewed players on on social media, and seven of those players ended up ended up playing on Christmas Day. But like you know, John Morant was number two for most viewed on on social media. LaMelo Ball was in there, like you know, there there are stars. Wenby was in there, like there are other stars in the league. Now not every network talks about those other stars in the league. But like Yo gets is a superstar, Giannis is a superstar. Like I thought Giannis's comments, while it was kind of sour grapes about not being on Christmas Day, I altill think there's something to it, Like if you can't figure out how to market the uh, you know, the the Bucks with Jannis and Dame and put them in a a in a big time game. Like, yeah, I think that's a bit of an issue, you know, with Shae Yild's dobsanner, I've been I mean, you know, I've been lying about this for two weeks now, Like it's not just it's thunder or a small market, or that Shay is an unknown superstar. It's just the NBA's bad at marketing them.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: Because it seems to be something that if it's not going to affect you now, like Lebron's forty and Steph's thirty six, and you know KD hasn't been able to stay healthy for a full season for.
Speaker 1: A long long time.
Speaker 2: Like what do you think the deal is with the NBA's either inability or unwillingness to lean into what will come next after these players decide they're done, which is not going to be very long.
Speaker 9: Now, Yeah, I mean I think it's you know, I'm not equating them to this quality of whatever, but I think marketing Lebron and Steph and KD, it's it's like deciding to have fast food for dinner, right, It's easy, Like you know what it is. You know what it's gonna be, and it's easy and you don't have to do much to prepare for it. Whereas oh, I got to figure out how to make Memphis and job Morant exciting. It shouldn't be hard. Just show clips of job Moran playing basketball. We all watch it, and we all marvel at it. But for some reason, you know, I think part of this is a is the landscape of media and the platforms and everything and everything being so spread out. I think part of it is that. I think part of it is Adam Silver is just not as good at that stuff.
Speaker 4: As David Stern was.
Speaker 9: And I think David Stern could make stars out of just about anybody. I think Adam Silver struggled to do that. But you know, to your point, they've only got a couple more years until they got to force these other guys, and maybe Wenby will be so good by then that it won't matter, and that will be the goliath to topple. But you know, it's it's just something of them he struggles with. And I don't understand why, because we watch all that, all those other stars, and if you can't make them interesting, I don't I don't think you're good.
Speaker 4: At marketing well.
Speaker 2: And also they really I mean, say what you want about the tired discourse of ratings going down, but the NBA has not done a very good job of telling their story as to what the context is with those And Kevin Durant came out with some interesting comments and when when when Durant gets insightful and honest and he actually wants to give people time. He's pretty good at this stuff, always has been. It's just these moments are few and far between. But the context is how many people have cut the cord and the fact that ratings are down everywhere, including the NFL. Now, the NFL is only down four percent, but you know, you have now Netflix in the game, You've got Amazon Prime in the game, You've got Peacock in the game, and you still have linear television. But the linear ratings that everybody continues to uh, you know reference when it comes to the NBA's fall and interest are affecting everybody. But I just don't think the league is like told that story very well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I don't think they want to tell that story right because it's probably a harsh reality in some sense. I also don't think it's a big deal in the grand scheme of things because of that media rights deal that came through and everything. But I think it'll be very interesting to see how the NBA operates and presents viewership numbers and viewership results of the streaming services in the next once that next deal kicks in, which is which is next season, with things being on Peacock, with things being on Amazon Prime, with you know, more stuff being streaming. You know, then at that point, you know, we've never really know what stuff does on Netflix, right, there's no like check and balance for for what their viewership is. We know a lot of people have Netflix, we know they have a lot of money, but we never know how many people are actually watching. So you can kind of promoted and massage it however you want. I'm curious how the NBA will do that in the streaming era. What's this next deal kicks in next season?
Speaker 2: One of the consistent things that I've either read or heard or the you know, we've got a lot of good NBA guests on the show, and it's not everybody, but a lot of people have indicated they do believe the product has suffered. Now I feel like there's more talent in the league than there ever has been. And I've never been the whole like let's go back to the nineties guy. But I do think at times the lack of effort is pretty obvious, you know, if some of the All Star game stuff is spilled into some of the regular season stuff. But in your opinion, the product itself, the game itself, the product of NBA basketball, Does it feel different or compromise to you at all when you sit down and watch a game, man.
Speaker 9: Like I would have said yes a year ago, But I like the start of the season, the basketball is in awesome, Like it's it's really been incredible, and so I kind of think it's a it's a lazy criticism of the product on the floor, Like people just look at three point now and say, oh, it's too many threes. Yeah, it might be too many threes. But for the most part, the game so far this season, the product on the floor so far this season has been excellent. It can improve. I think they should bring back hand checking. With the way that you know, skill sets and athleticism and everything is now, I think you can compromise a little bit of offense to create more competition, and I think it would be a benefit to the league, But I don't. I don't feel the way about the product I did a year ago. I actually think it's improved quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Is that mainly in your estimation a result of influx of talent younger talented players growing, Like when Minyama just looks different this year than he did a year ago, and he looked awesome a year ago. And you've got a lot of young players that are kind of growing them you know, growing into themselves a little bit. And also it should be doted like I referenced earlier, you know, Lebron and Stephen kd and these guys are probably retiring sometime soon. They're still playing at a really high level at advanced age. Do you think it's just like the old guard continues to do what it does and young players understanding how to be pros. What do you attribute to what you call an improved product year over year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think everything you just said is part of it. Like I do think it has become such a young league, and as we know, like it's really hard to win and play consistent basketball even when guys have good numbers. But with such young talent, it's really hard to create the winning culture in a lot of places, so that's definitely part of it. How does it think the change the league made with allowing more physicality, Yes, it still needs to be called consistently and that's still an issue. But the way that the league changed things after last year's debacle of an All Star Game, I think it greatly improved the product. I think it's mostly held into the action this season. It's not quite as good as what we saw at the end of last season, but I do think I do think that change after the All Star weekend has created a big sense of competition that's allowed.
Speaker 2: Now do you think either you know, I'll just say all three if we're continuing with this theme of you know, Lebron, Durant staph As the most marketable players and the biggest celebrities or whatever superstars according to Bob Myers in the league, do you think any of the three teams Lakers, Warriors, Suns has a legitimate chance to represent the West and maybe win a championship this year?
Speaker 4: I don't see it. With the Lakers.
Speaker 9: I do think they're not as bad as everyone says, but I don't think we've seen a championship level from them. I do think the Warriors can get there, but they need to find a little bit of help. But we've seen through flashes here and there. We've seen them look like, you know, kind of that twenty twenty two team that won it all, and then before Katie got hurt this season, it was I mean, the Suns looked legit, you know, like, I don't know if they can get back to that. I don't know if that was a little bit of a fluke early on the season, but they're kind of borderline for me. I do think the Warriors at their best is better than any of those other teams at their best.
Speaker 2: The deal with Phoenix, man, then you know this, Zach, like, tell me that they're fully healthy for four rounds and we can talk.
Speaker 1: I just don't think they're building in one round right right, right round?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you do you really think they can stay healthy to make a long run.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen it.
Speaker 9: No, I think, you know, they haven't been together that long, but but no, I mean, this team made the finals in twenty twenty one. They made big changes, which anybody would do. Getting Durant, you know, you can argue about the bradley Field deal, uh and whether or not that was a good idea in this era. But but no, like that team is legitimate. That team has been good for a few years now. And yeah, if they're healthy, like sign me up. But there, why would we believe like they They're kind of in.
Speaker 4: That zone of all right, I got to see it.
Speaker 9: I got to see you be healthy to believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So back to yesterday, A couple of different things. When when the seventy six ers are fully healthy and back to the health thing, but when they have all their players and when they're playing like their best basketball, because there are moments yesterday obviously it's the Celtics and everyone else in the East.
Speaker 1: Maybe the Cavs have something to say about it.
Speaker 2: What is the best What's what's the Zach Carper best case scenario for Philly this year? If everything kind of falls into play.
Speaker 9: Man, I don't know, like I think, I don't see anything pass the second round.
Speaker 4: I want to be optimist.
Speaker 9: I have been more impressed with them over the last you know, eleven games or so. They they look better there. It's been nothing dominant, but it's not incompetent, right, which is what we saw in the first you know, nineteen games or whatever whatever it was, seventeen games, and so they're obviously much better when those three guys are healthy. We saw great stuff out of Caleb Martin yesterday, but I'm still I'm still waiting to see with them, Like, I mean, how many times has indeed had different things.
Speaker 4: So far this season?
Speaker 9: How many times is Paul George of different things so far this season? Like, there's just no reason to believe in their health.
Speaker 2: Who's the one Eastern Conference team that you think keeps Joe Miszoola up at night?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a good question.
Speaker 9: It might be Cleveland. I still haven't completely bought in with Cleveland, but decide the three point shooting, the wrinkles to Kenny Atkinson's offense that he's implemented from what they were doing last year. There is something there. I don't know if it's enough to take down Boston, but that's there's a lot of talent on that Cleveland team.
Speaker 2: All Right, before I say you lose, contractually obligated to ask you a question about the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 1: So here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: Well, how about this.
Speaker 9: I'm going to the game tonight.
Speaker 4: Oh you are Jazz Blazers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm going so ask.
Speaker 4: Me whatever you want.
Speaker 1: You're from Sacramento. What's the Portland tie?
Speaker 4: My parents?
Speaker 9: My parents live in Oregon. So we're all going up, niece's and nephew. We're all going up and checking out the game.
Speaker 2: Do they know anything about basketball or do they ask you all the questions?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: No, they like they play basketball.
Speaker 4: That's with basketball.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, they're into it all right.
Speaker 2: I guess what are you most excited about as the seven and twenty one Utah Jazz take on the nine and twenty Blazers tonight.
Speaker 4: Ooh, that's a good question.
Speaker 9: I think hmm, I think I'm most excit. I had to see if we can get a great offensive game. Like I don't know, like neither of these teams offensively are very good, but I do think, like, yeah, Anthony Simons could go for forty, Lowry could go for forty, like you could get you could get a good game out of this. I just don't know that we that we should expect it. But I do think when you have two teams in this zone, there's a chance you get a good game.
Speaker 2: And you know, I was actually talking about this earlier. We had we had boller On. He's calling the game tonight. And there are moments when the Jazz are fully healthy. First of all, when marketing's on the floor and we've seen a couple of vintage Clarkson games, he's not that guy consistently anymore. But then Colin kind of gets going and Keyante just doesn't screw it all up and Walker is playing really well. There there are still moments where I look at this team and I say they better not win thirty games in Draft ninth because there's actually some talent on on the floor.
Speaker 9: Yeah, agreed, I think I think that's again. I mean, look, it was one moment. But that game against Detroit, what was that a week or two ago? Whenever, that was a fun game you had, you had Kiante George with that big dunk on Jalen Durham.
Speaker 4: Like stuff can happen in these Jazz games.
Speaker 1: They can be fun.
Speaker 4: They're not, but they can be right.
Speaker 2: And hope this time of year is a good thing, Zach. So we'll end it there.
Speaker 1: Enjoy the game, Happy new your brother, Thanks for the.
Speaker 4: Time, appreciate it. Happy to you. Thanks.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll catch a quick break in and do a quick sports court with our friends from Handy and Handy. Then we'll get into the five o'clock hour, which will be college football. Jim Herman joins us. So a lot to do before we say a United six and time for some Thursday night football right here on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 10: All right, it's time to check in with Preston Handy and Garrett Handy of Handy and Handy for sports court. Handy and Handy are your accident and personal injury attorneys ready to assist with any related questions. You may have visit them online at Handy Law Utah dot com. Big firm experience, small firm attention. Now let's get out to sports court on the drive with Spendle check. It's on jutus number one Sports Talk, ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: It is sports court time. We do it every Thursday right about now. We're they're good friends over at Handy and Handy. It is Christmas time, so Preston is playing Scrooge and Grinch somewhere and you know, dampening the Christmas spirit. So we want to keep things positive. We're bringing in the more positive of the duo. It's just me and Garrett today, Garrett Handy, Happy Christmas season. How you doing, Buddy?
Speaker 11: Hey, Happy Christmas to you.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: And Preston, if you're listening, we love you. I'm just teasing. I don't want to hurt our guys feelings.
Speaker 11: We do love Preston, We do all right.
Speaker 2: So we're going to do something a little different today. We're gonna do like a little year in review of some of the biggest and best stories we've covered on throughout the course of this really fun segment that I look forward to every week with you guys over in Handy and Handy on Sports Court. So there has been very few editions of Sports Court without talking about the NCAA and how they are facing multiple anti trust lawsuits they're trying to traverse their way through the nil and the number one settlement that we've covered that really affects a lot of people to love college football in the sport, of course, is the house first, the NC DOUBLEA. So let's kind of dig into these storylines regarding the NC DOUBLEA and their antitrust lawsuits and what our listeners should know about where the NCAA finds themselves.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, and you're.
Speaker 11: Right, Spence. I mean, that's definitely. I think the biggest story of the year is just week after week it seems like the NCAA getting hit with some new lawsuit and most of it revolving around nil right and the rights of athletes versus the NCAA and their ability to participate. And so the big lawsuit, of course was the House versus NCAA case. You know, this case was filed. It was a class action lawsuit and it covers any student athletes back to twenty sixteen, and so it's going to allow nil money, allow them to be paid, and revenue sharing from broadcast rights. This was settled back in May for two point seventy five billion dollars and it you know, I think we kind of saw this coming, and we've seen the trend for years now. There was the Obannon case and then the Austin decision, and so it seems like the House case is kind of the natural progression in this and but I mean, really, I mean, in twenty twenty four, it seems like the ground sort of shifted beneath us with this this decision.
Speaker 2: I think I also want to touch on the NCAA transfer rule situation because it is such a hot button topic right now with the University of Utah essentially rebuilding their team from the ground up in one year, it's such a tough thing to do. So let's review that a little bit, and then I'm going to ask you, from your vantage point with your legal expertise, whether or not you think there will be more changes moving forward so they you know, don't have free agency while this season is still going.
Speaker 11: Yeah, right, So I mean this this started out at the beginning of twenty twenty four. I mean there was a you know, preliminary injunction was granted and the and Justice joined this lawsuit as well.
Speaker 4: But it allowed players.
Speaker 11: To transfer and play immediately, where you know, you used to have to sit out of here or whatever, and you know, athletes would think twice about, well do I really want to transfer? But now it's hey, transfer and play right, We've got the transfer portal and twice a year, and so it's it's been a felt like kind of a moving target. And you know, I think another issue to kind of talk about and think about is really does a college degree really you know, how's that going to look? Does that matter, right. I mean, this is changing so much. And then especially you know, the other one I was going to touch on with dispense is this you know Diego Pavia rule that just came out and we just talked about this a couple of weeks ago on sports Court. But now you're not counting junior college those years that you played towards your eligibility. And again the idea is, hey, there's more years you can play, more years to earn nil money. And so yeah, it's really changing the landscape of of college sports.
Speaker 2: Any thought on what they may look to do, and we can move off if you don't have a take on it. But I'm just curious from your vantage point if you think they're going to actually try to corral this thing a little bit, because it's not it's not sustainable, Garrett, not as of now. Do you think they're going to try to do something different between now and the next college football season.
Speaker 11: I No, I agree with you. I don't think it's sustainable. I mean something's going to have to change, and I you know, we've talked about it before on sports Court. You know, there's been been discussion about like federal legislation. You know, or does each state try to tackle this. But there's this it's an arms race right between all the universities that you know in the states are included in that. They want their schools and their states to be competitive, and so nobody's really willing to tamp down on this quite yet. I think it's going to have to be a federal response, and with the how slow our federal government moves to get anything done, I don't see anything happening for a while. I just I kind of think twenty twenty five is going to be a little more of the same, where we're just figuring this out.
Speaker 4: As we go.
Speaker 2: In addition to constant stories about the NCAA being labeled as you know, serial anti trust violators and having to go to this court. In that court, a lot of coaches brought lawsuits against their former employers throughout the course of the season. So let's start with a review of Blake Anderson. It's a local angle who of course was up at Utah State and then let go along with some other folks up there in Bronco. Mendenhall hired to kind of recapture the Utah State days of old like you did at BYU But as you look back on the Blake Anderson Utah State situation, Garrett, what comes to mind?
Speaker 11: Well, for sure, I think this was a really big story locally for us. I mean, he just filed it and it was it was finally filed in November, but a fifteen million dollar lawsuit against Utah State, and he also named I think the athletic director and a few other people. But of course he was fired for cause over some employ reporting requirements. I mean, that's kind of the technicality, right of how a situation was handled and whether or not he reported that correctly. And so there's been, of course a ton of fallout. We've talked about it a lot on Sports Court over the last many months, but that case really is kind of just getting going with the lawsuit having been foiled that I think just about a month ago, and so we'll see. But I mean, it's you know, Utah State and you know, and I was gonna talk about this a little bit later too, but they're they're involved in several legal issues that we've talked about, you know. I mean, they're they're looking at some potentially big, big money, big fees, whether you're paying Blake Anderson or you know, you're paying the you know, Mount West exit fees, but being fired for cause, you know, and and getting out of that contract. I think anytime we see that where a coach is fired for cause, I think you can expect that there's going to be a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: I also wanted to revisit the John grudens that you because he's now Barstool sports newest employee and he continues to be in the news. And you know, once upon a time, John Gruden was thought to be like a wonder Kins head coach and then a wonder Kins broadcaster. Didn't take a lot of time to settle in as a great voice on Monday Night football gets back in the league and everything goes south. So let's review the John Gruden stuff before we move on to the other stories.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and John Gruden, just like Mel Tucker and Brian Flores. I mean, you've got these NFL coaches with lawsuits, but Gruden in particular, these cases are just they're going on forever, right, And his firing was over these old emails that were leaked to the media and he felt that those you know, his allegation has been that the NFL used these emails and that Roger Goodell did to kind of weaponize those to pressure the Raiders to fire him. And so that's there's been this whole dispute. Of course, anytime we're talking about an NFL coach being fired, there's this issue of arbitration, right, and how is the case going to get handled? Is Roger going to be the one to decide?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 11: He ends up being judge, jury, and executioner, and so right now his case, I think the latest on it's it's headed to the Nevada Supreme Court. They're going to review that issue. So again still going on, but you know, it's provided a lot of stuff to talk about, for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, your reference Utah state.
Speaker 2: They're among the topics in our next kind of a little silo, which is conference realignment.
Speaker 1: Lawsuits also seem to be a very consistent theme.
Speaker 2: Fsu clemsed in against the ACC, the Mountain West against the PAC twelve for poaching schools. Then you toss the end against the Mountain West for exit fees. Another kind of gift that kept on giving for content for this segment. But as you look back on the and they're also continuing, you know, the latest on the conference re alignment lawsuits.
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, they are, so, I mean, yeah, I think the trend is whether it's a school or a player, right, they're looking for, Hey, where can I get the best deal? Right, whether it's at a certain school or for these schools, what conference can it be in? So yeah, Utah State, of course. I mean, you know, bolting for the PAC twelve and the you know Mount West and there's these exit fees and I mean so there's been lawsuits back and forth right between the MOUNTA and West and the PAC twelve, and again Utah States gotten in on that, you know, to kind of go on the offensive a little bit. I think what's difficult for these schools is these are large, sophisticated institutions that got into these agreements with these conferences knowingly, knowing what they're doing. And I'm gonna have to go into it a lot. But I mean that's the same thing with Florida State and Clemson trying to get out of the ACC.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 11: That's the argument is these guys know what they're doing, what they're getting into. They benefit from these conference relationships and the revenue sharing with broadcast deals. But as soon as there's a better deal to come along, they want out, and they want out of the contract, and so I think these cases are going to go on for a long time as well. I mean, there's just a lot of money at stake. These penalties are pretty huge. I mean, luckily Utah States not looking at anything as steep as what you know Florida State and Clemson they have a one hundred and forty million dollars with draw penalty from the acc that they're fighting all.
Speaker 1: Right over to actual nil lawsuits.
Speaker 2: And once that door was open, I figured, you know, thousands of players would walk through it. And of course time will tell if other players add them themselves to this list. But former players include the eighty three wolf Pack team shout out Thorough Bailey, National champ Center, Jim Valvano, they're not Robinson, Broylan Edwards, who were really good for Michigan, and then Terrell pryor Ohio State.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the headline names.
Speaker 2: Some others will follow suit, and then they're the current situations as well. Let's start with the former players who've elected to try their hand with the nil lawsuits.
Speaker 11: Right, So again, the House settlement really just covers back to twenty sixteen, So you've got these former player players saying, hey, well wait a minute, my school or my conference, you know, for years has been profiting off of my name, image and likeness. And so you know you brought up to the eighty three wolf Pack team. And that's true, right, I mean, whether you know, every time you turn on March Madness, you're going to see the highlight of that famous team and they're Cinderella Run. And so you know, you've got these former players they're saying, hey, well wait a minute, I should have been entitled to something and looking for their piece. I mean, I think it's really interesting. Like you said, the floodgates are open. We've just seen kind of these big names of filing lawsuits. But you know, it'll be interesting to see what kind of president gets set as those cases get resolved in one way or another.
Speaker 2: The current player situation is also fascinating because again we're so early in our understanding of what this landscape is. Precedents will be set and others will follow suit. That's how it works. So it's Jaden Rashada who's suing Florida over a fourteen million dollar nil deal. Then the situation with Matt s Luca, the NLV quarterback who just left the team. Get it in writing, always get it in writing. But do you think this is the big getting of a trend? Is this an early preston that you think a lot of players are going to follow?
Speaker 1: Sue with.
Speaker 11: I think it is the beginning of a trend. I mean, and I, like you said, what we'll probably see is just there needs to be some more sophistication from the players and the schools in negotiating the terms of these nil deals, right. I mean it's in writing, right, You've got these recruiters from different schools going out and making big promises to players, whether it's money, and you know, A, do they have the authority to do that? And B is it going to be binding? And so I think we'll have to see schools, you know, can start kind of putting together their own policies and procedures on how they want to do this. But they got to be careful because you know, these are agreements being made, and even if it's not in writing, right, there can still be an oral contract. And so yeah, I think we're going to continue to see these things where I mean, there's just a lot of money at stake, So it's going to end up in lawsuits.
Speaker 1: The final little silo we're going to attack.
Speaker 2: And I don't mean to laugh, because legal problems are not laughing matter. But I've just reas remembering, like waking up to a text like, Hey, did you hear Scotty Scheffler got arrested trying to go into the tournament.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, he didn't.
Speaker 2: He as a choir boy. The Scotty Scheffler did not get arrested. And then the Tyreek Hill situation of bad luck, and of course Joey oh Tonnie, his translator, was found guilty and he's going to go to jail for a long long time. So let's hit on these individual legal issues, some a little bit comic and others pretty sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 11: Thought these were kind of the big ones from the year. I mean, the Scheffler and Tyreek Hill. I mean, it is kind of funny, right, You've got these two high profile professional athletes on either you know, Tyreek's on his way to the Dolphin Stadium and Scheffler's on the way to PGA Championship and they're both getting pulled over what kind of start out as kind of traffic violations. I mean Scotty Scheffler. I mean, if you remember that video, you know, in the allegation that you know, he it was a felony and three misdemeanors for assolding a police officer with his vehicle, and I mean those that he ends up. He was a choir boy. I guess the charge has got dropped pretty quickly for him. And then we had the Tyreek kill video, right, I mean that was pretty wild as well. But so anyway, just this issue right of these athletes and whether they think, you know, in those moments, hey, these traffic rules may not apply to me. You know, I'm important on my way to you know, people want to see me. The Otani case again, and I kind of included this one spence just because I think this issue, which might be something we talk about more in twenty twenty five, but it is the issue of sports betting, right, And of course Sotani, this is a case where his interpreter pled guilty to bank fraud and taking seventeen million dollars from Otani. And you know, we could speculate forever about whether or not Otani knew about that or you know, was a part of that or whether the interpreter just took.
Speaker 4: The fall for it.
Speaker 11: But we have had a few cases we've talked about on sports courts where you know players are betting, right. I mean, it's just it's easy to do and I think we'll see more candles regarding sports betting in the year to come.
Speaker 2: All right, Garrett, before I set you loose, For any of our listeners who have legal questions, how can they get ahold of you?
Speaker 1: Over at Handy and Handy.
Speaker 11: Yeah, be happy to talk to about any legal questions you have as social innaria personal injury, which is what we do. But you can reach us at eight zero one two six four sixty six seven seven or go to our website Handy Law Utah dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you, my friend. I hope you had a great holiday and we will catch up next week.
Speaker 11: Thanks you too, Spence, ce Ali.
Speaker 2: Garrett, Handy, get ahold of them if you have any legal questions. Really good people that are willing to help. We'll catch a quick break Drive at five comes Away coming up next than Jim Herman College Football the rest of the hour, and then we'll turn it over to Thursday Night football in the Pros. Little Bear Seahawks, and you can listen to it right here. AUDIESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 3: The five o'clock hour is here, and your commute home is begun. Let us keep you company during a rush hour on the drive with Spence Check it's it's time for the drive at five, all right.
Speaker 2: We were talking earlier about the potential of We had Eric Weddle on the show Fun Conversation with Eric. We're talking about the quality of the NFL games juxtaposed to the NBA action we saw yesterday. NBA had a good day. NFL the two games were a blowout. However, we have the data now. The doubleheader on Netflix resulted in the two most streamed games in NFL history. The Ravens and the Texans peaked at twenty four point three mil and the Chiefs and the Steelers twenty four point one, but the stream peaked at twenty seven million people during Beyonce's Time show. That further underscores my point that the NFL has done such a phenomenal job at creating a television product that is far.
Speaker 1: Superior to any other league.
Speaker 2: Even if you're not a football fan, even if you're not necessarily huge NFL fan, people are going to tune in, like your relatives want to watch it, maybe your sister wants to watch Beyonce or whatever it is. Like their television product with their primetime marquee events, really dwarfs anything that any other league does. And now we have the data. Have not seen how many people watched the NBA games yesterday. My guess is it's going to be a healthy number, but not close to what has turned out to be twenty seven million. That's your peak when Beyonce was performed at halftime, So that is pretty wild. The Christmas Day games for the NBA, this is just spilling in now. Most watched Christmas Days in five years, with viewership up eighty four percent last year across ABCESPN, ESPN two, and Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: So the Christmas Day games.
Speaker 2: Average seven point seven million and peaked with eight point three to two million when the Warriors and.
Speaker 1: The Lakers were playing. So that's a good day for the NBA.
Speaker 2: But a good day for the NBA is essentially one third of what it is for the NFL. And it was two games that were blowouts. I mean, how many of you watched all the NFL games unless you had some side situations manifesting themselves.
Speaker 1: My guess as you turn them off.
Speaker 2: All right, Jim Herman's going to join us, coming up back, We're going to do some college football. I want to tell you about my friends at prize Picks. It is the best place to get real money sports action. With over ten million members and more than our billions of dollars, I should say I've awarded winnings, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. It's very easy. Use an example for tonight's jazz game. All you do is pick more or less on at least two players for a shots went up to one thousand times your cash. So Lowry marketed more or less than nineteen point five points, Walker Kestler more or less than two point five blocks, things like that, Scoot Henderson more or less than seven point five assists, or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You get the idea.
Speaker 2: It's very very easy, and right now they're giving away free money. My suggestion to you is go grab the free money and then try it and see if you like it. And you do that by downloading the Prize Picks up today and use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 1: Download the prize picks up today.
Speaker 2: Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup Prize picks run your game all season long. Jim Hermon is our guest coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: All right, wrapping up the show on a Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you guys had a fantastic Christmas, and we'll wish you a happy holiday season, happy New Year as well. Although we'll be back on air tomorrow and back on air next week. Tomorrow we're going to be out and about Tim Dolly Nissan on remote, so come by and say hello. But hopefully you had a great holiday, spends the time with friends and family, ate some good food, took some time off work, all that good stuff. It's a busy night tonight, busy sports night tonight. We've got a little NBA action where the Jazz are taking on the Blazers. Blazers is a two point five point favorite in that game. On this radio station, you'll hear the final NFL game of the week seventeen. Slay cannot believe that we're here, but yes, it is the Seahawks and it is the Bears live from Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. Right now, Seattle is a four point five point favorite. The over under is forty two point five. Some bull action too in college football, of course, a lot of attention around here on the Alamo Bull coming up on Saturday. That is BYU and Colorado BYU a slight underdog, Colorado a four point favorite in that one.
Speaker 1: Got little Rutgers kse State.
Speaker 2: If you want to watch a little big twelve football that's going on right now, Arkansas State bowling Green That is the Hancock Whitney Stadium in Mobile, Alabama for the sixty eight Ventures Bowl. And then earlier today at the game above Sports Bowl, saw Toledo beat pitt in six overtimes. So you got a little college football action tonight, little NBA action tonight, and hopefully you enjoy your Thursday. And we have a very fun jam Pat Friday show for you guys, so make sure to join us for that. I want to say a very special thank you today too. Jim Herman, Craig Bowler, Jack Gordon Monson Eric Weddell and Zach Harper, very busy show, a lot of college football, some NFL of course, some NBA, and some Utah jazz. If you miss any of the sound from the show today, you can head on over to the website, which is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app. You can take our station on the go. It's how I listen to our station. It's the ESPN seven hundred app and that's available in the App Store or the Google play Store. And then fly for what we do in our space Afternoon Drive four hours every day. Check out our podcast page it's called The Drive with Spence Checkets and that's available wherever you get your shows. Please subscribe, rate, review, say nice things in the comments, give us all the stars. It actually does help for Olivia who's filling in for Porter. She'll be back on the ones and tuesdamorrow. My name is Spence Checket, saying to night Thursday Night Football NFL Style comes your way, coming up next.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you tomorrow right here on ESPN seven hundred