Speaker 1: What is up, Fellasiko's I am Dan Valley coming at you with the one, the only, this certified, fantabulous mister Grant hues he's getting ready to leave us for a little bit for vacation, but has agreed to do the NBA most confusing team's draft. We know you're all excited for it. Coming at you a full twelve hours earlier, then, I accidentally scheduled this live show for so Apologies to anyone who was waiting for us to be going live at two o'clock Eastern time in the morning. That's not when we were planning on going live. It was around two o'clock in me in the afternoon. A lot of just missteps on my end, Grant, As you said, I should probably start getting some sleep, but my question to you, I'm not so in my sleep deprived state. I will not forget this. How the heck are you doing? We need to know the answer.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be here. It feels like it's been a really long time. It because we didn't We haven't potted for a full week, is that correct? Is it more than that? It feels like almost two weeks. That's why it feels like a long time. I do feel like regular listeners would have immediately flagged the two am Eastern live stream start time and said that must be a mistake, because we're all well aware that that's several hours past my bedtime. There's no way I would appear on a live stream that's that late. If I did, it would be really unexciting because I would be unconscious. I would be asleep, which, you know, maybe that's something to put behind the paywall.
Speaker 1: I don't know how often we need to do a podcast, but how often are you up past eleven pm? Your time?
Speaker 2: No more than once a week, I would say, like that, and that's just how oft Well I could ask you the same question, but I know the answer. The time you were asleep before eleven pm? Oh like on purpose, not like you crashed out at four in the afternoon, And it doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Uh. Probably when I used to have a bedtime, I was probably being bottle fed at that point. I have no idea, if.
Speaker 2: You think about it, we really could we need to find a job where it's like a twenty four hour thing and we could just both hold the position and just work opposite twelve hours, you know, because I don't function outside of like normal working hours, and you only function outside of normal working hours, so there must be some way for us to exploit this. Should we do a twenty four hour live stream where it just we just tag in and tag out.
Speaker 1: Twelve hours of each year, we do it in like four hour increments. We need to You got me thinking, though, is we need to do if we get a thousand more Patreon members the next month, Grant, we'll do a pod, a live stream podcast after midnight his time. I'm doing it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, easy light list for you.
Speaker 1: We'll have to see what type of state he's in? Is he like? What does he consume to stay up past midnight?
Speaker 2: I can't even imagine. I can't imagine. It wouldn't be pretty, it would Yeah, yeah, you know what, I'll commit to it though. A thousand more subscribers, I'm happy to I'm happy to debase myself by staying up late.
Speaker 1: I guess debase yourself, Grant, the most Confusing Teams draft. Ideally we'd be doing this when Lebron post Lebron James's next decision, which should be coming imminently, maybe while we're recording this podcast. Probably not, I think most people think it'll happen sometime after the World Cup final, but enough stuff has happened that we can sit here survey the lay of the land, and even when we're kind of baking in, this team clearly doesn't feel like it's finished. Uh, there are other teams that are just confusing me, ever, living heck out of me. So is there anything as you went about this before we start going through our picks that is there a certain set of criteria that stands out to you? Or is it are these if you're going through when you've built your big board? Was the prevailing theme? This is a team that I didn't think made sense leading into the off season and they're still confusing me. Or has a lot of this stuff been transaction driven over the off season?
Speaker 2: Great question? I think. I think the first thing is that it used to be easier to point to a team and say this one doesn't make any sense because that was just shorthand for well, they're they're not going for a championship and they're not tanking, and so that's so like, what's the plan. You know, the Raptors have occupied that space for.
Speaker 1: A long time.
Speaker 2: The Bulls kind of and lived in it for they were like the poster team for that type of things. You know, any any team that was like in the play in mix or whatever, and it just didn't feel like they were going for one or extreme or the other. You'd say, like, well, that's confusing. Why would you try to say it's different now? It's different now with the way the lottery odds are, like, there's there's certainly not a payoff for being abjectly terrible on purpose, or at least your odds are are not as favorable. And so I really found myself trying to avoid just the teams that are kind of in the middle, or at least not choosing them for that reason alone. Like there needed to be to answer your question more precisely, like there needed to be roster stuff that that struck me as ill conceived or like just unfinished, or you couldn't really find the sense of or just the way management is operating. I've got a team that has some ownership issues that are confusing to me. I'm sure they're on your list too, stuff like that. You know, it's all the basics, but it can't and it can't just be well, they don't seem to have it can't only be well, this is like a team that's going to finish between thirty two and forty two wins, So what's the point Because you could get away with that before, but I think you need to look a little harder. Now what do you think do you? Does that resonate with you? That was that an issue as you were putting your list together too, of like, oh, this is kind of different than it used to.
Speaker 1: Be, right, and it's just so as like a spoiler, like the Chicago Bulls would not be high up on my big board. But what I did all also factor in is that a lot of this goes beyond just this coming season too. It's not about trying to figure out, okay, well we kind of understand what the Bulls are doing in the long term, or at least get like it's all right, new front office regime, so we understand what they're doing this year or what the overarching picture should be. Some of these teams you look at and a lot of it could be just awkward fit with players or on court stuff driven by all of that. But there are a couple of teams where it's not just what's the end goal this season, but what is the plan long term. They every team in theory all has the same endgame. But if you haven't acted like a team that's cobbled together any type of long term vision, and you're not clearly all in on winning next season, that's a I mean, it's a red flag or confuses the hell out of me. I call it more of a red flag than confusing. But it goes into the roster construction or the construction of a vision and the incoherence of it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd agree with that. I think if if I had to, if I divert from your methodology at all, it's that I did focus a little more on this upcoming season. But I do think if if something about your team is confusing in the short term, there's a really good chance that it's also like your big picture is kind of a mess too, because right, you know, yeah, because here we are three months from the start of the year, and if things are weird now, it's it's not like you're you know, this isn't a case where like, well I can see the vision of Team X. It's it's all confusing now, but like once things line up in twenty twenty eight, I get it. It's not. You know, usually it's it's kind of like systemically confused.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's probably never been harder to measure a team's longer term viability or trajectory, even if they're an established contender. It's sort of use windows just feel as if they're built to open and shut one a whim.
Speaker 2: The flip side of that is, we're just lots of preamble, but we haven't talked in two weeks or whatever. I'm working on something ranking like trade ships, you know, and it's not it can't be like wemben Yama, but it's like the types of stuff you would use to acquire the next available superstar, right, So, like young players, or like draft picks and trying to rank draft picks, Like, okay, the Nuggets twenty thirty two, that's out there, you know that the Nets have. It's like, okay, that seems really choice, but that's so far away, Like the Nuggets could have gone through two competitive cycles by then, or even more than that. So does that mean like a twenty twenty eight pick is what you want? Or what about? So? I to your point, it's really hard to game out anything past a year or two at this point because just the way the lottery works, the way the aprons of affected team building, it's it's a you know what, confusing times we live in, confusing times, uncertain times.
Speaker 1: I'm with you there, and because I'm a kind and generous person, I will give you the first pick of the most confusing teams draft.
Speaker 2: So this was the first team that came to mind. It's the one that I tease a little bit. They have to be on your list. We've talked about them a little bit. I don't know if they justify the first pick, but first thought, best thought, the Portland Trail Blazers are a confusing basketball team to me.
Speaker 1: You know how well I know that we're in lockstep. Is John Moran in a Blazers jersey is the front and center of our YouTube thumb now for this episode. We didn't go into this knowing what each other's big boards were, but I knew they would be a team that were on both of our lists, and I thought they would go first.
Speaker 2: Overall, Okay, great, they have to be so this the Ja Morant of it all is part of it. I want to start though with there are a lot of things I like about this team, Like we both were Denny Avviapild. We think he's great, great contract. We like some of their young guards. We're never giving up on Scoot Donovan Klingen, Like there is a version of this team that has just built around young guys as an Ovidia that I think we like a lot, Like even some of their marginal moves like Brandon Carlson might be helpful, and like we're never giving up on young handsome and like what if Shade and Sharp becomes something, then maybe that deal turns out to be a pot. There's a lot to like, is all I'm saying, Like the defensive infrastructure, they're just a couple shooters away all that stuff. But starting from the very top with ownership, what is happening here? Like where will this? Is this a team that is now suddenly like a real threat to move because of what Tom Dundan has said about public funds and like basically telegraphing his feeling that hey, Portland, you're lucky I'm even here, Like that's a that's talk about red flags right, Like that is the ownership situation there kind of puts anything in place. So I don't know if confusing is even the right word. It's like ominous. You know, there's unstable concerning whatever you want to use, So start there, move down the list to Mike and nor is on like the least stable head coach contract we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Just it's he's one instantly.
Speaker 2: Right, like what could go what could go wrong? Like surely there's no real reason why teams have forever avoided employing lame duck coaches, Like what you know? So there's that. Then you get to the roster. The jaw trade is crazy. We've talked about that plenty. He's kind of in the way of a lot of people. It creates a bunch of roster crunch issues. His effect on Danny Avdya feels like certainly negative, proved me wrong. I would love to be wrong, But that that doesn't Those two don't make a ton of sense together. This team hasn't added shooters, and they were twenty seventh and three point shooting accuracy last year despite getting up the fourth most in terms of share of their shots. Like, I don't, I don't know how you look at what happened last year and decide adding Jah Moran and not shooting is the solution. I We could go on, but like those are the sort of the pillars of like what I don't get about what's going on with Portland? Do you have anything to add to that? Would they have been your first pick? Yeah?
Speaker 1: They would have been my first pick. And I think the Tom Dundan stuff only just adds to the confusion because it's it's not even just the are they still gonna be here in five years or whatever it's is he actually will? They were linked to some of these bigger names, including John Morant, but that was a value playing a vacuum, But it's are they gonna be willing to pay Denny Avia next summer? Is a renegotiating extent or even when he's up for a new contract and hits restrict unrestricted free agency? Like, what are going to be their limits when it comes to investing in players? We've seen their limits when it comes to investing in what surrounds the players, and it's not great. It's not great so far. The guard glut I was just insane to me. Now, I don't see how you caught to trade Chris Murray wasn't a big part of what they're doing, but to trade like two wings who can help you on defense? For John Morant, who nukes your spacing and hurts your defense, and you're also gonna play him with Damian Lillard, is what their early speculation sounds like. I don't know what that's like. I don't know what that says about what these teams core lineups are gonna be, because then it's you get into well, then one of Tamani Kamara or Drew Holliday is gonna be kind of left out in the cold, or you're gonna be playing smaller a lot. But oh, it's kind of harder to play smaller now that Jeremy Grant isn't there. And you also did resign Robert Williams the third, so you would assume between young handsome Brandon Carlson r W three and Donovan Klingon that you want more of a traditional big man rotation anyway. I And then just like, what does John Morant look like on this team? Have you done him a disservice on the court? You know, we're saying that John Morant comes in and complicates a lot of stuff. You've probably not put John Morant in his best on court situation just because you don't have the surrounding space and to capitalize on whatever he's able to provide in terms of rim pressure. I this it's just so interesting because they were one of the teams. I don't know if you could call him a feel good story. I thought Tiago's did great work after Chauncey Billups went through the whole indictment process, so like to kind of keep a stable baseline there. They were pretty strong defensively at points you saw just tons of growth from certain players. I like to go in this direction. I don't like the Jahn Morant was it just oh, he's so cheap, Like we're gonna roll the dice and hope it works out. The problem with that is, even if it works out, I don't really know what the ceiling of that kind of look like. What does the best case scenario of John Morant on this team look like? And finally, you mentioned Shandon Sharp and also Scoot Henderson. What's going on there and with Scoot specifically, is extension eligible and it's you could say, yeah, they definitely haven't seen enough to pay him, and I would agree unless the price is just so low. At the same time, you haven't built a team that makes it seem as if you're even invested in him in the slightest and you could make the same case for Shade and Sharp. And in addition to being part of why they feel confusing, is not just because we I look at what's in place and say, well, this is what they're clearly trying to move forward with this season. I look at it and say, there's no way that they can be done this offseason, right, is part of what my brain is saying. Yeah, I don't know whether that's true, but that's when you look at the roster. I think it's that's a reasonable conclusion to come to if you had no inside information on what the Blazers are planning.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a charitable conclusion too, because you're assuming you're looking at it and saying, well, like, no, sane you know, decision maker would would stop here, right because for all the reasons we just went through. Do you think we can't know this? But do you think that acquiring Jah Morant was done with the idea of this is just a pure asset play. This is a by low guy that maybe plays well for us and we can turn him into something like is that maybe the move that needs to be made for stuff to make more sense here. Obviously moving him would make more sense, But like, do you think think that was the logic behind it, or do you think the Blazers looked at him and said, this is a guy that we can imagine being a core piece, like because John Moran is not a supporting player, right, Like that's one of the issues with him, is like he does not have a skill set that lends itself to being a skill set matched with sort of an ego or like a willingness to accept that type of role to be like a smaller time piece. It's like, if you have him on the team and he's playing like he's kind of in the middle of everything. So do you think which which of the two seems more likely to you as far as they're justification for adding him.
Speaker 1: It has to be the former, because if you're saying the latter, what have you seen over the past three years that would make you think one that player has appeared at any point during that time or two this is someone who because he was so reliant on his athleticism and he's he is a really good passer, but because so much of his game was rooted in athleticism. Even if you rehabilitate his value. What does that window look like or does what we say at the top apply here to where these these windows are opening and shutting so quickly that even if it is for two years, But it's just I don't know, especially with the way his contract is. He is two years left, and so you kind of need to make a decision on him after this season the way the extension game works. Yeah, so I think it's where do you land on. I think it's kind of just stab in the dark. They viewed it as opportunism, and this was you know, if the alternative was Jalen Brown might have been a better fit or a higher end acquisition. He also, even though we criticized or were I guess we were more on the Sixers' side of that deal, he would have cost substantially more than what they gave up for jaw Rant, Like they didn't give up any draft equity for.
Speaker 2: Him, right, I mean I lean more towards just the like the first the form, like the asset play, the potential upside measured against the low cost of adding him. Partly because like if you let's take the alternative, uh, if you thought that, you know what somewhere in here there's a core of jaw Denny Avdia and Donovan Klingen, Like we can. We can, especially if Clingon develops as a shooter, like I guess, But like I just don't see the Avdya jaw fit because I don't want to take the ball out of Avdya's hands. I want shooting around him and he gets to run the off. I just I believe that that's a more effective more effective maybe not Like if the the highest ceiling version of the Blazers is John Morant looks like he did five years ago and and he's like your your top ten MVP candidate. You build the whole thing around him with shooting in defense, Like sure, I would concede that's probably better than Avidya could make the team maybe, But I just don't. They're not they're not acting. They didn't just go out and find every shooter on the market, right they they Because if you really thought that, like we're gonna build a team around this guy or even just him and Obdia, you just go find shooting. So to me, it's just this is all it costs to get a guy that like there's a five percent chance he could be an All NBA player again, Like, I guess you just pay that right, and that's that leads to confusing teams because you're just like, well, we'll take him, but he doesn't make any sense in any way for us, and so that's how you end up the first pick.
Speaker 1: We spend enough time on that, But what does we oh we were wrong about the Blazers look like? Like what has happened in you? Like? Because I think with some of these teams you could at least envision X happens and that's where we could be. It doesn't feel likely, but X happens, and it feels like we could be wrong. I keep trying to sit here and figure out, well, what are we missing? Because you can say all that stuff is fine about the value play on John Morant, okay, great, doesn't necessarily make him just because you think there's a five percent chance of be an All NBA player again doesn't mean that you've set up the ecosystem or the like, have the supporting cast to make that happen. So the theory of this roster right now feels jagged for sure.
Speaker 2: I think I think the one way that it does make sense, and this is not a positive, but it could be something that teams maybe should think about more. Is because, as we've said, there just seem to be a lot of players that are kind of in each other's way. Here if forty of the roster is hurt basically all season, right, because then it's like if Scoot Scoots had plenty of injury problems, Dame was coming off the Achille who knows right, Robert Williams is not a reliable guy from a health perspective, Drew Holidays Old Like suddenly you're not sitting there thinking like how are we going to possibly play Scoot and Shade and Sharp Andrew Holliday and Dame Lollard and John Moran and like how does that all work? With Obdy and eating the ball? It's like, well, if four of those guys are hurt on any given night, suddenly the rotation makes a little more sense, just because it's like it's clearer who should play because you you just play your better players and you figure it like that element of it can make more sense. The overall build, which again is short on shooting and kind of lighter on forwards, and that whole thing that I don't know what the best. Like how you look at that and say, well, it could work out if this like there's just it's a weirdly built roster. The only positive is like it could just because of injuries, there wouldn't be quite as much overlap as there seems. There's definitely going to be Right now.
Speaker 1: What is up, fellowsikos, You're listening to this episode right now thinking wow, it would be so cool if there were no ads on it.
Speaker 2: We have the power to make this the last ad you ever hear. And that's not a threat, it's more of a promise. The best way to support the podcast is to join our Patreon, which you can do at patreon dot com. Slash Hardwood Knocks NBA tons of perks there. In addition to the promise of and not threat. Can't emphasize that enough of no more ads, which is a huge bonus. We're going to do a couple of Patreon subscriber only pods every month. You get access to our discord. You just get to be a bigger part of this community. You get our sincerest appreciation, which really can you put a price on it? If you want to support the pod, that is the best way to do it. Thank you again as always for listening and for watching.
Speaker 1: And now back to the show with the second pick in the most confusing NBA Teams Draft to select the Washington Wizards. I there's the Trey Young contract, which you know we want to talk about the Bucks coming to terms of Gary Trent Junior a year or two ago. It feels like this Trey Young deal was agreed upon as part of his trade to Washington to where he gets the four years, two hundred the max that he could the four year max basically he could have gotten from another team of four years and two hundred and twelve point nine million dollars after declining his player option given the market. That just doesn't make sense to me in a vacuum from a pure value perspective, I thought we were gonna reach a point. What do I keep saying every summer is when are we gonna reach a point where actual negotiations are happening with perceived stars? And what happens Victor Wamanyama takes a fifty million dollar discount like before, there's negotiation happening on Trey Young to the next contract. Wild to me, what still is confusing about this? And you could look at some of the other moves. By the way, good friend Chris Middleton, he's back. I would have probably preferred them to like lean more towards just a pure shooter. When you're looking at who else is on this roster, their big man rotation is now okay, getting off the Jaden Hardy contract fine. Getting DeAndre eighton eight million dollars backup five also fine. You have Alex hard and Anthony Davis, and you needed to give up second round picks to make it happen. The other thing is, when you're looking at investing in Trey Young at this level, you just drafted Aj Debantsa, who I think needs to be on the ball more often than Darren Peterson. This is the only viable alternative at this point. Maybe I'll prove wrong. Summer League is not a good gauge of that, just because all of these guys are going to be on the ball a ton. That being said, like Cam Boozer is a better shooter than Aj Debantsa is. Right now, when you're looking at like the three point stuff, do you trust Trey Young? There's something to be said about No, AJ doesn't need to be the number one option. He probably shouldn't be the number one option. He can be uplifted by funneling that usage towards someone else where, then he's gonna get a lot of the secondary looks. Is Trey Young the type of player that can function differently because when you look at the percentage of his team's on ball possessions he has used when on the floor. Since entering the league, he has never ranked lower than seventh in the entire league grant and he's only ranked outside the top five once when he was seventh, and I think that was this past year. By the way, Like what now you're adding Anthony Davis, it will presumably endo them mas Anty David still going to be there. He didn't get any He's he he's going to be extension eligible? Are you giving him one?
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 1: I don't think the eight and acquisition signals that, oh, we want to we're more likely to trade Anthony Davis. If anything, it signals do we want to play a lot of Alex Sar with another big type lineups? And if that is a default, what does that mean for a wing rotation that's fairly stacked at this point? When you look at debantsa when you look at having Keishon, George Black, Kulabaly still being there. Oh, Cam Whitmore's still on this team. So it was justin Champenny and we just brought back Chris Middleton. I am so confused by this shruster. Not in a way where I'm necessarily down on it, but I also just find myself looking what Trey Johnson was able to do in Summer League, and I kind of find myself wondering, well, how does he work into all of this? And if he works into all this, what does that mean for Bob Carrington. There's this roster is all over the place, even when you're looking at like just we probably get too caught up in timelines, but like, on the one hand, you have Anthony Davis and Trey Young taking up sixty plus percent of your cap, and on the other hand, you have the number one overall pick from this draft. You have Keishaan George who before he missed time last year, who's having a breakout campaign. You have alexar who's drafted number two overall two years ago. Is what is even with the idea of Okay lottery reformation, this team's been rebuilding for a minute now. They want to make a jump. I don't even understand what type of jump they're trying to make. Is it to just be in the the middle at this point? Did they internally just because they do have some of the name power, they have not necessarily transacted like a team that is desperate to be in the top six in the East per se. But you did just give Trey Young a quasi max and you have Trey Young and Anthony Davis just hashtag on this team. So I don't know honestly what the wizards Is short term game is, and you could even long term I still think right there are some clear core pieces in place, But do they view Trey Young and AD as one of those pieces? I honestly, Trey Young certainly seems like they might.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's not, i'd sure like to know what they would have paid him. Isn't this this is kind of a wild sort of like turn about because I think we both were probably I don't know what the breakdown was, but we both liked the Young trade and the Davis trade to varying. He's like, I wouldn't say, don't let me put words in your mouth, but like in both cases, I was kind of like I think if that's the cost, you just do it. By the way, a lot more trades happening these days where that's the justification of it with so which maybe suggests that like that shouldn't be the cost. But were you there at like with with both Trey and Davis when they made those trades. It's like, yeah, man, I guess like that's just an asset you take for the for the price.
Speaker 1: Which is why didn't we just say that when we were talking about John Morant with the Blazers.
Speaker 2: Well that's why I kind of asked, like, I'm coming around to that perspective, but we went through I like, well, actually, this is just it's actively damaging maybe in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: No, you're not putting words in my mouth. I went back and forth with more on this at the time where I was like, no, these trades make sense as an opportunity, Like as a matter of opportunity. It's oh, if they go turn around and give them these massive deals, that's when you have questions and what did they do?
Speaker 2: Guess what they got some questions? Yeah, I so the trading extension spun me all the way back around to this before. But like, this is just the same organization that gave Bradley Beal that contract, and this is just like this is this just feels like so right on brand for a team that we really thought was doing things a little more sensibly. So I would echo everything you said. I this in a lot of ways, this is more confused. This team is more confusing than Portland. It's just that like it's not quite at every level because the Dundon and the Morant pieces are just so like just confounding. But let's be looking. Let's let's try to give the Wizards the benefit of the doubt. I can't do it with the young extension. That's never gonna make sense. But like maybe there's some element of we got all these young guys, if any of them are any good, they'll be good enough to prove it in suboptimal circumstances. Look what Cooper Flag did in Dallas last year, Like you know, he kind of the role wasn't great. There weren't like a ton of veterans that like we're eating into his time and if anything, like he had to play it difficult role because they didn't have good alternatives. But if you just throw Debanza and Sar and Keishan George and Trey Johnson and you neglected to mention my guy Will Riley in the mix, and like just toss them all in there with Anthony Davis and like something emerges and it becomes clear organically, like who belongs and who doesn't and who fits whatever timeline you're on. That feels more like just that doesn't feel like a plan to me, Like that just feels like we cobble. We've thrown together guys all across the age bracket and we'll get what we get. And like, sure, in a world where being absolutely terrible doesn't pay, you might find something that gets you on the most optimistic end of things out above the plane or something. I don't think that's happening the East is crazy, but like you don't get to if things work out here, it will feel more like happenstance than an organized sort of effort to get this team to wherever it's trying to go. I feel like the Debanza pick provided them cover to go to Trey Young and say, hey, whatever we agreed to, like we didn't contemplate we were gonna have this potentially generational guy. We're kind of going in a different direction, here's twenty five million a year with like a team option on the third. Godspeed if you can go beat this somewhere else, Like circumstances changed, you understand, and if he walks, he walks, it didn't cost you anything to get him like that, the doubling down whether it was being I do you believe that the reporting that like the Wizards were afraid somebody else was gonna put you like That's just the.
Speaker 1: Only team I could think of is because they traded for Julius Randle was the Nets would they have preferred to? But if they guards right, who went off in the summer League and then they drafted Mikel Brown Junior, So I think that would have possibily would have come off the table. I don't see another team that this. This is just like the Bucks had suitors for Gary Trent Junior and sign in trades potentially at this four year, sixty four million dollar number.
Speaker 2: This, so then you're what you said initially was right, is this was agreed to at the time of the trade, which.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't see that happen where one player gets salary dumped only to turn around and then sign a near ax deal. With them.
Speaker 2: The market just told you what he was worth, and it wasn't fifty million dollars a year. It was dead. It was basically dead Corey Kispert's contract and dead money, which six and one half done the other Like if.
Speaker 1: You McCollum won the Hawks a playoff game, he really did, he really did.
Speaker 2: I might like this team better if CJ. McCollum were on it instead of Tree Young, certainly at his new contract. Yeah, it doesn't make a ton of sense. Yeah, Phil Barksdale feel like Washington went on a shopping spree on Facebook marketplace a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 1: The one difference I will say between them and Portland is, at least in theory Trey Young and Anthony Davish Phil needs where was they didn't have a floor general of the future and if you wanted Alex Are to play alongside a more physical big man done in Portland, it's I don't know what I think job Rant exacerbates the problems they were supposed to address. When you're looking at the shooting, that's damning with fame praise for Washington, but but it's also different because I do look at this roster and it's not even Portland. I'm pretty sure is going to be disappointing just because of the makeup of the team with washing Art. Yeah, I can't fathom what this team divisions itself being enough to know whether they're going to be disappointing or exceed expectations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, all right, I got an I got another pick here. It's a little bit of a different type of team because I think those two were I think the Wizards probably would have been my second pick as well. So I'm gonna go Dallas Mavericks. This is it's a bizarre roster can struction. It's just the powerful. I mean, I'm gonna forget some. But you have Cooper Flag, you traded for Santi Aldama. Naji Marshall's probably best used as a for PJ Washington. Same there, Klay Thompson is a is a for at least do me a favor.
Speaker 1: Just name the team players on this team who aren't best suit forward Kyrie Irving?
Speaker 2: Right sure, yeah, I don't know. Right. Defensively is can you hold up so a million forwards? Not a lot of point guard depth behind Kyrie Irving because Brandon Williams has not comeback yet. I feel I think that's someone they should definitely want to keep around if they can. Uh, Center seems fine, but you've got Derek Lively's health, you've got Gafford kind of underperforming. It's just a lot of fours, and it does, again feel like a roster setup. That I mean, it's it's not designed to make things easier functionally for Cooper Flag again two years in a row. Now we're going in where it's like, I just I don't know that it's it's it's it doesn't feel like trial by fire, like on purpose, because like why would you do that too? You know what I mean? Like it feels like they're making it deliberately hard on him, but I don't know how deliberate that is. It's just this is a weird collection of players and it doesn't seem to suit a Flag all that well. I do think if Irving is healthy, you get a lot more reps where he's playing off of somebody, and maybe you then get to see the defensive ceiling that everybody thought was an absolute given. If flags lyft on offense isn't quite as high. And we come out of this coming this following year thinking even more highly of him right, because well, we've seen him exceed expectations as an offensive playmaker, as an on ball guy, and then the defense showed up second year, and then we're primed to put him on all NBA teams this third year or whatever. If he doesn't do that this season, then you're still relying on Kyrie Irving to be healthy and productive for most of this year and to be on the team. Because he still profiles as a trade candidate. There's plenty of teams that could u him. So this is more strictly you.
Speaker 1: Think Portland takes a look, kicks the tires.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know again, he just he fits a tight So yeah, that this is this is a more narrow thing. But as I was going through the rosters around the league, this one just just jumps out of me. Is why why is it built this way? Like if they drafted more as Johnson too, who like I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, that's the what seems just as a fit with Cooper Flag, I think it's terrible. And then also I don't that is the you don't necessarily make that pick because it's at the best fit with Cooper Flag. I mean, Brydon Burry's and that's bot I think would have been the right call there. That being said, the Santi aldomitrate is the one that I still just can't That was my well, what is going You can talk your stuff, all right, if they think Marcus Sasser is going to provide some shooting and not gonna get trucked. Defensively, they're another team and maybe they're just a suit they're assuming that they'll go about more of their business in the middle of the season. But they're another team where this just sort of feels unfinished because you're every I would echo everything you said. I like, defensively, they're gonna be huge and pretty versatile when you look at the guys that are on the roster.
Speaker 2: Right, we said that exact thing last year, too, right, it was I remember when we talked about Dallas. It was like, they're gonna rebound the shit out of the ball. They're gonna be big at every position, they're gonna defend. The offense is gonna suck, and maybe they win forty games that way. It's like the personnel's kind of different, but it's also kind of the same. Like going in I can imagine we might say very similar things about Dallas, except Kyrie Irving will be there, Like you know what I mean, they kind of have recreated the same problems they faced last year, but with just some new personnel.
Speaker 1: Right, and they haven't like do they They were so they were twenty sixth in offensive rebounding last year? Is that like something that you see them improving upon with this but like something al Dama's not gonna give you much of that, maybe more as Johnson helps you there a little bit, but it's confusing. The one thing I have wondered, and I don't know if this puts their off season a better light, but if you're incredibly concerned about the health of Derek Lively moving forward, does that help explain the off season a little bit more?
Speaker 2: I mean a little bit. But it's not like a lot of these fours that we just listed are also potential fives, you know, Like I think if I mean, maybe Johnson, I can't claim to have watched a heck of a lot of college basketball this year, but maybe Johnson is someone they view as I don't know, in like a Colin Murray Boyle's mold where it's like he's not really a five, but he can do it, you know, like like Murray Boyle's is. If Johnson is anywhere close to the defender of Murray Boyles is like, then I retracked everything I said. You have your center. He's not a power forward all that stuff, but it doesn't seem like that's the profile for him. I do agree that this seems like a situation you can trade yourself out of because teams will be interested in Washington and Marshall. I think as long as you're not trying to get first back or anything like that, you can clean up the roster that way. But they're not out a wings here like Max Christy and Caleb Martin. I guess who really like is kind of a forore even might add him to the pile of power forwards. Really, so Marcus Sasser, i'd like, is he you can use him as a combo guard? I guess I just I don't know. It's unbalanced.
Speaker 1: There's a lot on Kyrie Irving being healthy and then Sergio de la Area gonna be good right away. There's a lot of that happening here, and I guess maybe that speaks to when you're looking at Sergio, Oh, we'll have the runway or maybe they'll give Marcus Sassar more agency than he ever had in Detroit because Massiu Jerry, by way, the moves that made sense. Hiring Massiu Jerry, sure firing Jason Kidd. I won't claim to know enough about what Dusty May is gonna bring as a head coach just yet. We'll dig into that like before the season starts. Those are all fine. I just this roster offensively specifically again and then also just getting ready to even if Kyrie Irving is playing, aren't you getting ready to kind of pull your hair out at why as Cooper flag like your two or your three? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, dijita vous a little bit. We were asking the same questions last.
Speaker 1: Year with the fourth overall pick, my second overall pick in the most confusing teams NBA draft. I feel like you're gonna be able to guess where we're going with this, the New Orleans Pelicans.
Speaker 2: So are the comments.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing I don't understand, like the let's start here, this is not They're not confusing in the sense that we have to sit here and demand that they should have traded everybody at this point. I think that's a reasonable thing to say, is they should have held some kind of fire sale grant. Their transactions this year have been basically exercising Karla Makovich's team option, declining Kava Luni's team option, and re signing DeAndre Jordan on a two year deal not a one year deal, so that they would get They were so worried about the market that he had that they had to give him two guaranteed years, which more power to him being a great locker room presence. And that is believable because remember what happened in Brooklyn, where not only did Kyrie and Kevin Durant force the Nets to sign him, they both took Kyrie took less and Durant lowered his uh like he took an incentive based structure so that the Nets could overpay DeAndre Jordan. So this is not There is a precedent for needing DeAndre Jordan in the locker room apparently. I'm not saying it's good, but there is a precedent for it. What is I saw and she's no longer employed by the team, but I saw. Teresa Witherspoon had a quote the other day about like, yeah, if they finally give the keys to Zion Williamson, and I'm in my mid like, well, hold up, that's that's not the way that this roster is built. There's okay. If de Jontay Murray's there and Trey Murphy's they're okay, fine, Like you've Jeremiah Fears and Derek Queen. That is the antithesis of trying to build around Zion Williamson. I'm not saying they should have traded him for pennies on the dollar if there's no value there, But at the same time, I'm kind of saying, what is like pick a I want to say pick a lane, but I don't even know like what laying they're in right now. It's not even like they're just they're careening, like from side to side or they've already gone off the cliff. I don't look at like they don't. If you point to anyone on this roster, or trying to point to anyone on this roster and say, who is our north star, the person that's gonna guide us our decisions moving forward, the closest you get to an answer, it's still Zion Williamson. It can't be like Trey Murphy fits everywhere, but he's not high enough end to say that's the guy that's gonna direct like kind of how we flesh out the rest of our roster and now if you wanted to go whatever this current direction is is my god, did you need to acquire more shooting than you have on the roster right now? There is Trey Murphy and that's it, Like if you if we want to go, we want to talk about it. Herb Jones, Yeah, Jordan Poole before he got to New Orleans. So that's just like they were better when de Jontay Murray came back next season and so having that kind of organizer type, but where where does that even fit into what we just have Derrek, Queen, Enzion Williamson and Jeremiah Field Fears, all three of whom can cannot shoot. I don't want to say that about Jeremiah Fears, but he's not He's nowhere near a knockdown shooter. His game is pride on I can get to the basket and my liveable when I'm in the lane. I don't know what this team is trying to do. And this this is kind of an extension of do you remember this was like a month before the trade deadline this past year where it came out I think was Chris Haynes had the report that the Pelicans were basically closer business and little did we know that he was also talking about the offseason as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, the core issue here seems to be it's at the top, right, it's the ownership management thing, Like Joe Dumars and Troy Weaver get put in. It's true Weaver, right, that's who that's who's there kind of him and Dumars are splitting the gig? Do I have that right? I know what It's like everything you said is right about how the roster makes no sense. I would even add that it used to be that you had to build such a specific team around Zion that it like no roster could make sense with Zion and without you know, so that was always a huge challenge with him. Now it's like you still have to do that. He still probably is there North Star, only he's not good enough to justify being built around in that way.
Speaker 1: Good news.
Speaker 2: The Pelicans aren't trying to build anything. They're not doing anything, so so like the inaction is confusing because it well, let's let's let you speak for the Pelicans right now, do you think they believe that this roster is good enough? Or is it a situation where it's like or it makes sense and has upside and whatever, or there is a situation where, like the ownership management situation is so out to lunch that it's like we're not even like making calls. We're all like Joe Dumars has like has passed his expiration data as a decision maker and it's just like we're not doing anything because we're just collecting a check and whatever. You know what I mean, Like, is it just everybody is asleep at the wheel or is it do.
Speaker 1: You think Troy Weavers at that point of you could make that case for Joe Dumars and Gail Benson, But do you think Troy Weavers that like don't you think?
Speaker 2: Well, but is he empowered to do anything? Maybe is the sub question?
Speaker 1: Je Bay is on this team, so why not?
Speaker 2: I just this is why it's confusing. I don't even know, Yeah, we don't know what they think about this team, Like.
Speaker 1: Well, they're acting as if they are they're acting they're not necessarily acting as if they think they're good. They're acting as if they believe they already have the big picture talent in place, and both by the way, both vantage points would be wrong. You're not good. And I thought there Queen and Jeremiah Fears were fine last year. They each had their bright spots, and I think I'm higher on Queen than Jeremiah Fears at this point, I don't look at any one of them and say, that's like a potential cornerstone right there. Maybe they are, but you don't have enough information and so you don't even have so forget if we throw if we give them the benefit of the doubt and say, and I'm not prepared to give them better for the doubt. But let's hypothetically say they're not sitting there thinking they are good. They know that they don't measure up to the rest of the Western Conference. They are then sitting here kind of like thinking Detroit Pistons before, like their breakthrough season, not last year, but the year before, where it's like, you know, we haven't been good yet, but there's no reason to do anything nuclear to sell off guys, or to go consolidate into someone who might be our face of the present, or to pair with Zion or to pair with Maybe they fear uh, fear Fear Fear, feel about Fears or Queen with you need like, But that's wrong too because you don't have like, You don't have that blue chip talent that you could definitively say and that's not This doesn't mean that every move needs to be geared towards we either need another star or we need this super high end youngster. But you gotta do something. And if you believe that Jeremiah Fears and Derek Queen are the future, let's just let's just assume they believe that is why do you not have more shooting on this roster? Why are you not working the Like Anthony Simon's went for six point three million dollars six million dollars year. I'm not saying he would have taken that to go to New Orleans, but like, you could have got out there and done something anything. Their financial situation, I wouldn't say is enviable, but they're not so close to the tax. They're eight point four million dollars beneath the tax. That is, you could have signed somebody better than DeAndre Jordan. You could have gone out and tried to make a trade without attaching meaningful draft equity to the assets. That were going out. I just don't. I don't get any of this, and I would have this isn't I don't want to veer into just do something territory. But wouldn't you have been more encouraged if they just took the jah Morant type package or Tray Young type package for Zion, because then you can point to, you know what, Oh, they're fully invested in Queen and Fears. I don't know if I feel good about it, but at least they're showing that that's what they're fully invested in.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I think the moment he had positive value, if that ever happened at any point this past season, they should have traded him. But well, you I think you're right that the moment Zion had neutral value. They should have moved him, just because it organizes your team in a way that like, you're probably wrong, But then you do get to say, all right, it's Queen and Fears and we're going to figure it out around these guys, and we can we can make roster decisions with them at the center of it. Speaking of which, who's playing center for this team? That's another confusing aspect.
Speaker 1: Andre Jordan, right, thank you.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, what about the other forty six and a half minutes of the game, Like it's fine, oh, perfect, great, Yeah, that was a problem. That's been a problem since time I memorial. The Pelicans to me feel like, do you ever have like a like a just like a basic office job that maybe like there's a it's like a branch office and there's like a middle manager in charge, and morale sucks, like the person in charge doesn't really have any power, is not motivated to improve anything, and like the copier doesn't work. It's like one out of every three days the copier works, and it's like we need this fixed, and everybody's like I don't want to fill out the work order, like I just it's just fuck it. We'll just we'll get through it. Like that's what the Pelicans feel like to me, where like nobody's motivated or empowered to actually do anything, and so you just kind of like zombie walk along and and don't have any like any incentive to or ambition to change anything or fixtion.
Speaker 1: But what's interesting is that there are they in a position to even think that way, because it's not like the if we're talking about I guess Portland's at the top of the list now when you're talking about relocation. But New Orleans is the team, and I'm not advocating for it, but that is the market that is pointed to as if relocation, like there shouldn't be a basketball team in New Orleans. And so if you're is that what you're trying to do, fast track yourself out out of here?
Speaker 2: In a major league situation where ownership is trying to tank the teams, it gets, it gets moved if you have to.
Speaker 1: Be I would be curious to know what Pelicans fan out there is reasonably high on this team to the point that show me the pathway to the Pelicans being a top eight team in the Western Conference next season. It does not exist. It does not exist.
Speaker 2: It's it's yeah, it's it's I mean, hasn't the like the main the overarching issue with New Orleans for however long been that like it's not the top priority of ownership. It's because the Saints. It's the Saints that mat and the Pelicans get like reduced staff or like staff pulling double duty for both organizations, and they're just like the little brother that no one's paying attention to isn't like that's that feels like.
Speaker 1: Tick to that this team makes no sense and is confusing as hell.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, well, nobody's it. I don't know what else to say. This is like I think the first comment Rome said, uh, there's nothing confusing about the Pelicans. They're a terrible team. Like, yeah, maybe we've overthought it a little bit. They are just bad. Okay, is it my pick? Yea, Pelicans are on my list for sure. Okay, Uh, let's go. Let's go Phoenix Suns here. Oh, this is enough.
Speaker 1: You're trying to insinuate that giving up a twenty thirty three first round pick for the right to pay Miles Bridges is in Well, Dan, it's not.
Speaker 2: The first bullet point on my list of notes, but it is the first sub bullet right under Bridges trade. There's giving up twenty thirty three first is right there. Uh, that's that's another one where I've mentioned how, like Washington, we were kind of like, all right, things are making sense here. For a brief moment last year it seemed like the Suns were, to our surprise, like functional and had made some good decisions. And I mean, I I don't know how you've we've talked a little bit about it, like Colin bless by, Colin Gillespie a new contract, great, Jordan Goodwin great, happy with that too, Mark Williams don't love it, but not a crippling number there. Uh. Their return on Kevin Durant seemed fine, like Dylan Brooks played pretty well for them. Mala Watch has looked like pretty darn interesting in summer League. He's hitting threes like.
Speaker 1: He's humble, did you see it? Humble as hell? Where he's talking about no such there's no such thing as being too good for summer league. Automatically love him.
Speaker 2: Can we you know what, can we make you trash your pick based on no? No, No, I will not, I will not. Let's take an official stance right now. I think, come on, Malawatch is like he's it needs to be one of our guys. I think I think it's not too late. He's he has the official Hardwood Knocks endorsement. He's he's he gets it.
Speaker 1: But now it's this team used to have that endorsement, like last year was the oh we were so wrong about them, and that they played hard and they they had non bigs offensive rebounding and they they were gritty on defense, and like, what is Dylan Brooks doing is to look at Jordan Goodwin's locking people up and it's it's not the fault of the players that we're here, but it's just it's tough to make them. I can't give them the Hardwood Knocks over arching stamp endorsement stamp just because of like the Miles you might be on Mute Grant or.
Speaker 2: Phoenix Phoenix as a team because Bert's over here whining he doesn't like the Suns either. No, Phoenix as a team doesn't get it. But but Malawatch has the stamp. We'll come up with an official stamp. We like him, doesn't mean it's to be great.
Speaker 1: He plays more minutes this year. Him or Mark Williams.
Speaker 2: I mean, I really hope it's Malwatch. But also I really like oh so a Gadaro too, So.
Speaker 1: That's not That's another thing they That's not the question. I was a factory, Mark factory in Mark Williams's injury history and probably the investment you have in malea Watch long term, I'm gonna pick this. He's our guy. The answer is Mile Watch Grant. You know what you hesitated, that's disappointing. Yeah, I mean, I just well because I'm a little reticent to suggest the Suns will make the right decisions. That's right, he didn't go to Michigan State, so that he did not it really I want to make this more complicated, but the glaring like red light of giving up that twenty thirty three first to bring in Miles Bridges for Royce O'Neil and Grayson Allen and that whatever worst of the worst of the worst twenty nine pick whatever it was, like I would take the picks out. I'm not trading, uh, Grayson Allen and Royce O'Neil for Miles Bridges, like start there, right. And then I'm also because part of the reason, not just like the Miles Bridges of it all is just like I think you and I are both like I'm not trading for that guy.
Speaker 2: You're not giving me that guy like that. I just I don't want him on the team. That's one this this Sun's team like had middling offensive performance because it shot the three like pretty well, and you just gave up two guys that you could rely on to do that for one that you can't. And then on top of that, the pick where this was kind of your like, of course it's your Alaska's, it's the furthest out you could move. Now to give that up just tells me that like much like the Wizards, it's kind of like, oh, you did just kind of show us who you are again, like you had you had a moment there where we've thought things were being done sensibly and now it's nope, we're willing to just fire this pick, you know, into space and we'll just continue having no outs, you know, for for for Miles Bridges, For Miles Bridges, it's crazy. Don't trade with Charlotte.
Speaker 1: That's that's where I'm miss Yeah, that's the moral of the story for for Phoenix. Yeah, look, if you there probably would have been if we were sitting here and they didn't do really any They brought back cong Lesbie resign, Mark Williams resigned, Jordan Goodwin, they're banking on common mile Watch getting better. I don't know that we would have criticized them heavily. We would have said, yeah, this is they were in the middle of the Western Conference, Like, it makes sense that they didn't fire their best trade chips that were left unless there was this name that made sense that could elevate them into a different tier in the West. I think some Suns fans might have said, we want to see them do more. They were talking about how happy they were with this past season, which is like, yes, they did surprise people, but like at the end of the day, they were a first round playoff stepping stone, and so not taking a bigger swing would have been disappointing to some. The alternative of doing nothing beats the quote unquote big swing that they just took. Because this is a team and I've said this many times, maybe he will prove me wrong on the basketball court in Phoenix. I think Miles Bridges is one of the biggest empty calorie guys in the league, not the single biggest one. You were just hovering around the bottom five in first chance offense, So forget about the offensive rebounding opportunities. This is not someone I've seen things about like he's a little bit better passer than you think, and he's gonna give them some like dribble penetration. It's not going to be a Charlotte was just better statistically without him on both sides of the ball. So trading for him is one I the off court stuff, the felody, domestic violence, him pleading no contest like that is that that should matter. But if you move that aside and look at the basketball element, if you wanted to trade for him, okay, to give up your best trade chip to do it makes zero sense. And it's like you said, it's the Wizards kind of maybe re revealing who they were. But in this case, it's what made you think like, at least with the Wizards, there was an there had to be an urgency because you were slow playing it maybe for too long for Ted Deansis's liking Phoenix just we were just exited in a miniature era of just awful vibes where they mortgaged everything to the hilt and got burned. And so you decided to do more of it for what the right to maybe finish sixth in the Western Conference, which I think if most people did their Western Conference tiers right now, they're not gonna beat the Timberwolves or the Nuggets, or the Spurs or the thunder. Are they gonna be ahead of the Lakers or the Rockets. So like we're already talking seventh type territory like this is they're confusing in the sense that I don't know. Were they so high on their own supply that they thought Miles Bridges is the difference between what and what like between where they were and maybe flirting with fifty winds because there's no way that's the case.
Speaker 2: No. I wish that I could have thought about nominating them for this because I don't love the Mark Williams move and been like, whoa, well, what about Mala watching a guitaro and then not done it because that's not sufficient and yet here and the Bridges move is just like I can't. I can't get there on any level. Who's your next pick? All right?
Speaker 1: So I think this is gonna enrage some people. I'm gonna go with the Los Angeles Lakers on my list. I actually do not It's risky, but I don't have a problem with the money they gave Walker Kestler one hundred and thirty million dollars just first starting caliber center who is statistically can be a transcendent like rimp protector and defensive base sure. Giving up control of four first round picks to outright two swaps insane, insane. I don't care that you Lukanchich on your team. He's not signed that deep to when those picks are going to convey, then to go out, and when we're in a market where you have Norman Powell who just made an All Star team, couldn't get more than one guaranteed year. Mam who gets four guaranteed years. I like Mamu. I think the deal is a little rich. I like Mama four guaranteed years. Quentin Grimes who need to sign the qualifying offer last year, four guaranteed years, Colin Sexton two guaranteed years, which wouldn't you have rather just had Marcus Smart back? Based on what your team needs? What is this team's identity? Also, here's another question, what are they doing at backup five? I get the JJ Reddick probably didn't like DeAndre Ayton. DeAndre Ayton is a backup versus DeAndre Ayton as a starter when you also lost Jackson Hayes. What is the plan here? Is it to downsize with Vando? Is it to use Mama with the five? Because I got news for people that's not gonna fly. You don't have like Desire Williams signing. I really liked that. Being linked to matist Thibele makes sense them being linked to Jonathan kaminga and being willing to give up a twenty thirty two swap to make a sign and trade happen. No, that doesn't make any sense. I they're confusing because for a team that needs to operate as if they're trying to maximize Luka Doncics's window, they feel like they chose this weird middle build that the end result. I'm open to the idea they might be better during the regular season reason Luca remain healthy. Sure in the playoffs, I don't see a team right now that can win more than a single playoff series. And if I had to guess we're gonna do, you should subscribe to our patron because we're gonna be doing the Superstar Trade Draft at the end of this month. I don't think. I honestly think this is the off season that is putting Luca's future in LA like it's the now in the coffin. This is gonna be another two season thing, Max, because this roster, what is there? I don't I keep seeing they they rebuilt this roster in the image of Luka Doncic. How was Luka Doncics blindfolded and just pointing at names on a board and that's what you did. I don't like, how is this team if it was rebuilt in the image of Luka Doncic aside from getting Walker Kessler, where's the evidence that, Like, how is Colin sext and someone who is in the image of Luke? Why is we're quite and grinding him so tight when he was in Dallas that yeah, we needed to bring him, bring him on. I don't And by the way, way this this franchise might be the best in the league at watching the complete opposite and decide like happening in the playoffs and decide, yo, we don't really need like true wings, like those are that important.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know how long the list of players in the league is.
Speaker 1: I forgot about it. Yeah, that's Cavanloney who couldn't get into Pelicans rotation.
Speaker 2: Ye great locker room presence, can't. I don't think you.
Speaker 1: Can play them anymore Looney or DeAndre Geordan.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a it's gonna go down to the wire. That might depend on if if somebody gets a game at the end of the year. Uh, I don't. It does seem like Luca put his thumb on the scale for Walker Kessler yes, I mean, like I think, I think that has to be a factor. I just don't think you should ever let like Lebron's a bad GM. Like the players are terrible at this, the guys because they don't think about it in terms of like, well, if we do this, not only are we paying him the money, we're giving up all the assets that we would need to have the flexibility for other moves to make this team better down the line, like Luca's not. I don't think, I mean, I'm just I'm just totally speculating, but like, I don't feel like players think about those things like the actual cost of going go get the guy that I like, and whether Kessler's the right guy or not remains to be seen. Like I think, I think the center depth issue is a massive problem, partly because you can't count on him to necessarily be healthy. I know he had like it's a shoulder injury so that it had surgery. Whatever. It's not like he has chronic like calf streams or whatever. But still the Senate def behind him is terrible. I don't think you can play MoMu as a backup center and get away with it.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Walker Kessler has averaged over thirty minutes a game once and it was the season in which he played five games. Yeah, and he's thirty minutes the season he played in fifty eight games, and then he's in the twenties. I'm not saying he can't do it, but they treated it as like a sure thing, and even through the lens of to take riks Risks with Luca on board. Sure, that was an insane cost that they gave it, Like the draft, the money you can get me on board with that, don't have the four years, one hundred and thirty million dollars feels based off the track record, but you are it is an investment in what you believe he can do, and so are the first round picks. But if the alternative is just I get to keep control of those four picks and not have Walker Kessler, Yeah, what just be the Mitchell Robinson team at that point, Like if that was the opportunity cost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think like there are some elements here that you can see the logic. I think in like, yes, we understand the type of team you should build around Luka Dancic because the MAVs did it and they made the finals. Like it and so okay, Austin Reeves is in the Jalen Brunson role, except he's making ten x whatever Jalen Brunson was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he took like five million less.
Speaker 2: Than nine point seven head And I yeah, you go get Kessler because that's you. You got to have that center position, the room rolling guy, the paint protector, got to have that. But like, there's unless you really think Zion Williams is gonna fill this role, and I'm with you, like for the price, you absolutely sign him for that, or if you think Quentin Grimes is up for this. I don't see the defensively versatile athletic combo forwards and wings that will make threes and defend, Like I just that element is just not present here. So that's really, as much as anything why this team is confusing, because you seem to understand some of the pieces of what a Luka Doncicch led team should be, but you really glossed over, maybe like the core element of what you've got to have to make this whole thing work. So I agree, and I haven't really thought about the is this pushing Luca out? But in the sense that, like, so, how do you improve this team now without moving some of your key pieces for like not and not getting back the best player in any of those deals because you know Sweeten like.
Speaker 1: And also watch off their non Luca players has positive trade value right now? Austin Reeves maybe like that. Let's just say, Austin Reeves, does Walker Kessler have positive trade value on this deal? I would say, TBD, Well, you're not getting back what you gave up for Walker Kessler. No you're not.
Speaker 2: You're not getting Yeah, I I I don't know, so yeah, I agree, they're on my list too. All right, we gotta get another team here. Dang, I think you took Amine, so I got to go off the board here.
Speaker 1: You only had a list of three teams.
Speaker 2: At six, that's right, we boke All six of mine were on your list. Let's see. Well, I mean, do you want to talk about the Warriors?
Speaker 1: I could?
Speaker 2: I mean, because at at a base level, they're trying to maximize Steph Curry. This is all old news. They're trying to maximize Steph's prime, and the hope in achieving that rest so on Lebron James choosing them. And if he doesn't, how can you go into this season saying anything better than what happened last year is possible, and last year was not nearly good enough. There was that one play in game where I was like, oh, and I'll treasure it forever because it was a great STEPH game. Steve is never gonna stop talking about it. How like that was our reminder of what it felt like. That was that was pure basketball. That's all you got really, So I don't think you could say it's I don't know. Really what's happened here is like the heart, it keeps winning over the head, which I'm fine with because that's how I think about the Warriors. But if you don't get Lebron, what is your argument going into this season that anything will be different and that we will be that that better, better things can happen than we saw last year.
Speaker 1: Is Jimmy Butler having a half season off is going to be fresh and you catch lighting at a ball, I'm not even and Jacksville London Brok's able to contribute, right, which I will say about Yaxville. So after he played twenty seven plus minutes against the Knicks the other night, he was out there in between timeouts during Miami Toronto summer League basically like holding the T shirt toss. He was throwing the T shirts out in the street clothes, so that that dude gets it. And I think that's where at least one first place Rookie of the Year vote alone, I just want to throw it out there. That's that's the pathway. And by the way, the reason I don't find them confusing is this has been their stick for a while, is we will be.
Speaker 2: Well, we're just used to it though, We're just that doesn't mean it's not like illogical.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, you're well, yeah, all right, you're right. So just because I understand their their irrationality doesn't make it rational. Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, but it's hasn't it been the same song and dance basically every summer for the past since they won the title. Words, we're kind of sort of linked to this one big name, and we weren't really all in because with Lebron it's are we sure they're like ready to give him the non text mL.
Speaker 2: I mean, if that's a sticking point, we gotta have a conversation.
Speaker 1: So they're confusing. But they've been confusing for a while, and maybe that's what makes them not as confusing to me is that they seem very content to just let this ride off into the sunset while being mediocre, and they're gonna, you know, let it ride out with Steph, and that's I guess they've earned that right with four titles. But they can't come out and just say then they kind of have in so many ways said it, But you can't come out and just say, yeah, we're not trying to win titles anymore, like this is just that would be too expensive and too risky and we'd mortgage too much of our future for an abridged window that might not even end up panning out. But the fact that Steph is just when he's playing, is still very clearly like a top ten to twelve player in the.
Speaker 2: League is well, and even if he is not, it's it's like he's top five in giving you the feelings you want to feel, you know, if you're a Warriors fan, it's just like you're just every every like little you know, three possession scoring streak in a row is just like just scratches that little itch of like, hey, hey remember when this was like remember when things were this way all the time? And that's enough, honestly, I think for like the vast majority of Warriors fans, but I nominated them, so I have to concede that, like, from a purely logical perspective, what they've done for the last like two or three years, it's just like, this isn't This isn't how a normal team should be operating.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you there. I didn't want to get your thoughts though on someone posts this in the discord and now I can't find it. Okay, so I can't convert, so kill Haws and our discord posted Lebron James. Oh no, this is it turns out that it did not happen, so I'm not going to bring it up. Never mind, then, but are you still clinging to Lebron James? Using the meaningful basketball is sort of a clue that, oh, maybe he really is considering I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I feel like when I said that to you, you really were like, this is this?
Speaker 1: I haven't like Grant. I've done podcasts in radio spots where I've brought up that moment as that I was so short was Cleveland or bust and then my co host comes in just with this like baseless bread crumb that I'm now clinging to and.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's it's good to believe, it's it's important to believe in something. I think. Uh I I am less sure that it's gonna happen than I was initially when like, oh my god, they're gonna do They're gonna do a d and Lebron Like that's that's that's how it's gonna work out. Like if you force me to give a percentage likelihood on Anthony Davis and Lebron being on the team next year. At that time when that news was just breaking out of been like sixty five, it's like overwhelmingly likely. Don't know what, you would never bet against it, you'd be a fool. But now it's like, it doesn't seem like Davis is going anywhere. I will say, like getting Lebron still seems We talked about it off air a little bit. The Warriors make as much sense as anybody. Like Cleveland's a sentimental pick. If I had to guess, I would just say Cleveland because I don't know if it just yeah, he's gonna go finish where he started, like that kind of thing. But I think the Warriors to me are like second or third most likely, and it may maybe the gap isn't even that big between one and two and three and then getting Lebron. I do think if if they are finally ready to like put some chips on the table, maybe the next guy that gets you know, itchy to leave a big star is like maybe the Warriors are higher on my list of teams I'll extend with or want to steer myself too, because like Lebron is there, and that's more enticing than just like well Steph in half a season of Jimmy Butler and.
Speaker 1: Like you're talking about a Bronni consolidation trade is sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever you have to give up to get him, I think I think you probably do it. No.
Speaker 1: I know, if I was the Warriors, I was just try and trade for him. Right now, it's just sort of a like.
Speaker 2: A ransom situation, like just like do you ever want to see him again? Play with him every day?
Speaker 1: Do you ever want to see him outside of the G League? You're gonna you're design with us.
Speaker 2: I like, Mike, don't leave you on the phone with like one of those voice disguisers, like we have your boy. You know what you need to do? Uh Yeah, I don't know. I I hope they get Lebron. I don't know how likely it is anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't Hey, look, this is why you subcribe to our Patreon for more on bias takes Like I hope the Warriors get Lebron.
Speaker 2: I mean, isn't that Isn't that more fun than Cleveland unless you live in Cleveland, and then you're.
Speaker 1: Like I would say, with the exception of Miami, any spot is more fun than Cleveland. Just because I don't think he meaningfully improve there's that word improves their championship equity and poetic like the poeticism of it. You can't like the emotional component. I can't argue against it. I just want to see something new with him, and if you want another title with just a different team I have. I've had people come up to me normal that's the only place I go. Not a brag, but like at the gym and when they try to invariably talk to me about the NBA. I don't like Lebron. He just plays for whichever team he wants and like Jordan was undefeated in the finals, could be times Lebron got to the finals and like winning a championship with all these different franchises is incredibly difficult. So I would I want him Golden. To see him play with Steph I think would be high up on my League Pass rankings. But I would love to see him go to Minnesota or Denver. Yeah, it would be there's a lot of big Oh right, he's a basket He's a real basketball sick go. Speaking of Grant though, with the what is this the eighth pick, Yeah, I'm going to go to one of Lebron James's potential teams that has also kind of been ruled out as one of no longer his potential teams, the Denver Nuggets. I do find it interesting that in a summer in which Nicoliokich has so far declined to extension for reasons, we could talk about the financial reasons. Right now. He can get the Donovan Mitchell Special, which would be four years and two hundred and seventy seven plus millionllion dollars, or he could wait next year and if he wants to sign a full five year contract that could be worth three hundred and fifty three point two million is the projected total. By the way, that number is going to go down because the NBA salary cap projection is just keep being lowered. I love how people are still some people are still using like the ten percent year over year. That's not it's not happened anymore. But he hasn't signed an extension, which last year that raised eye brows. It should be raising eyebrows no matter what you think he might be saying publicly. There was that that Serbian interview that we also where he has said he wants to retire in Denver. I don't I don't doubt those intentions. You've done basically jack shit. You lost Tim Hardaway.
Speaker 2: Junior high Jones, Dan, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: You brought back Tias Jones and so that just leads me to say, oh, you still need a backup point guard. You signed Diallo and is are we but okay? Cool? But like Spencer Jones is it? Is he part of the planet anymore? And you still have the big note here is Peyton Watson slowing around in the restricted free agency market. Now I'm not criticizing or saying the Nuggets are confusing because they haven't paid him yet. This is how RFA works. The way the Pistons are playing with Jayleen Duran is perfect. I know there are other teams like the Nets and the Clippers that have been interested in Peyton Watson, but there's been no offer sheet and so everything has to run through the Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm looking at this and thinking, you bring back Peyton Watson? Is that just enough? Are we also assuming that they're not gonna like there was the report from the Steinline that well, they're not obligated to cut money if they go into the second apron. They're inside, They're like right at the second apron at this moment, they're not there, but they're pretty close. Peyton Watson's getting even if you think he gets less than Christian Brown, he's not getting less than twenty million right to start.
Speaker 2: It would be shocking.
Speaker 1: So you're a repeater team who's blowing past the second apron to field the same core that lost in the first round. I'd call schnet on that. So something afoot has to be happening here. But what is it? And do the Nuggets come out of this? Is there any scenery in which the Nuggets exit this off season and you feel better about this team than you did entering last year. And I'm struggling to find the I mean, I like, hey, Trayvon Brazil drop thirty five yard right and he was my guy. But to be with all sincerity, I don't know what's going on here, but for a team that I'm not saying they needed to do something reckless, trade everybody. Because you and I have talked at length, it's easy to say, well, just trade Jamal Murray or Aaron Gordon for who and how do you how does that make you better? But in an off season, in a summer, when it doesn't seem like Nicolaiokich is gonna commit, like formally commit to you in the future, like for this to be what's happened so far, or even just bringing back Peyton Watson or running it back in general, it feels unsettling.
Speaker 2: I was, you know, I've been thinking lately that so for a while there the sort of examples of what the second apron Era was going to do to team building were Boston, who stripped it down and maybe still the Jayalen Brown trade is kind of like the final move of like this is what happens or the thunder, but then the thunder just kind of managed it well enough, like there are still a little ways away from the real pain. I'm starting to wonder if maybe Denver is actually the team that you see the Like this is quint essentially what happens when you win a championship and things get expensive and there's just over the ensuing years, there's just the degradation and talent as your own players cost more and you try to hold it together and you make these cost cutting moves that everybody hates. But like this is where you end up, which is they have to make a move, and it's kind of impossible to imagine them in the aftermath being better, where it's just you keep running into it's hard to stay even as good as you were, because if you're even if you're selling off pieces and trading picks or whatever, like it's just like over time, and it's not a long time. It wasn't that long ago they won the title. You just you just kind of slowly by degrees, have to tear yourself apart. And like, in some ways that's more painful than what Boston had to do, or like what the Thunder may eventually have to do, because it's just there's a hopelessness attached to it, and like an inescapability attached to it. It's it's kind of bleak, right because, like, paint me the scenario where we go into this season saying Denver actually has a better chance to advance a long way than they did last year, and what's that look like? It's just what I mean, right, they might get out of the first but like their profile as a more serious contender. It's just like Peyton Watson takes a leap, they keep him, they pay what it costs, they take he takes a leap, and they're willing to pay massive repeater tax. Like they haven't acted like a team that ever been willing to do that. So I just it is they do now feel to me like the team you'd point to, like say you're criticizing your team or any team for doing what the Celtics did last summer or like those kinds of moves. He's like, do you want to end up like Denver where it's just like you just slowly degrade and there's no you just don't have the ability to like improve yourself like that. That seems worse than what Boston went through because I like looking forward, like Boston seems like like a hopeful place, like we don't like that trade, but but you know what I mean, it feels like Denver is just like, what do you do?
Speaker 1: I do think part of it, though, is and we're pointing to one move here is so yes, there has been that slow degradation. But last years a perfect example. Looking back, even if we ended up being too low or I was, I don't remember where you ended up on it. So I want to put words in your mouth. Even if I ended up being too low on the Cam Johnson for Michael Porter Junior twenty thirty two first round pick deal, that was your last best bullet on the trade market, and that's what you did. Is that acceptable when framed through that view? And the answer is just no. I thought Cam Johnson was fine for them last year by like, he didn't start out too great, but by the end of the playoffs he was one of their most trustworthy guys. And he still ended up the percentages from three we're still pretty hot, and he just had moments where's, oh, okay, I see the vision here, but now we're talking about, oh, are they gonna need to like just dump him because we know they're not going to go this far into the second apron and by the way, for a team that you don't think can make it out of the conference, No, you shouldn't be like twenty million dollars into the second apron or whatever it is. That's a fact. So it's not. Yes, again, there was sort of the gradual decline from them, and they had some injuries crop up. But it's also I don't know that they've maximized the opportunities that were before them since they won the title. I don't think they have it all. They didn't negotiate with Jamal Murray at all, Like if we want to hammer the Wizards for Trey Young or the Spurs for Darren Fox, certain teams where you have the margin for error where it's no, you shouldn't have done that. But look at the Spurs because so many of the guys are on their their rookie scales, or Wemby's just not gonna take the escalator language in Washington. You just haven't paid anybody yet. So not that it's a good move, but it's, oh, we can stomach this. You knew you were gonna get progressively more expensive. And what was the market for Murray now? I'm not if he wanted to explore the open market. I'm not saying just from running the team the way things are working right now, like they're just even Aaron Gordon on his extension, I think he's invaluable to this team. He's also probably more valuable to the Nugget than any other team in the league. And so to not negotiate harder on those types of deals when it was like the climate isn't necessarily what it is now, but it had shifted enough to people thought the Aaron Gordon extension, it feels as if people were mostly okay with they might have acknowledged, oh, the back end of that could be rough. The Jamal Murray deal, it was actually viewed until this season is worse than it is now, Like people are, oh, you might have net positive value or be a slightly met positive So there's just been too many missteps or missed opportunities there and now I don't know how you get better is the answer. Like that's why they're confusing and the fact that they've done so, Look, who's the best shooter on Like, Okay, it's not Jamal Like aside from Jamal Murray and Nikole Jokic, you have Cam Johnson. Like I get is that enough shooting? I guess in an offense when the Kohle Jokic, it doesn't matter, You're just gonna be top three.
Speaker 2: It's depth and defense, depth and defense for them, like nice too. Yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, I don't know. The thing is, like I guess, sort of implicit in what I've been saying of like, this is what happens if you just try to hold it together. Uh. In the apron era, if they had done the opposite and moved Murray or or played hardball with Gordon, like, we might be in a situation where it's like Yokic isn't even on this team anymore because he's just like forget it, you know, like I can't win here. You guys are going in a different direction by trading all these players that I view as integral to our whole operation, and you force him out sooner it's kind of I mean, I don't know. And in a roundabout way, this is just illustrative of the corner that the apron era sort of allows you to paint yourself into where there isn't like a good way. There's no there's no like there's a way that doesn't hurt in some fashion to to sort of go forward after you've been successful and you have expensive players because they were good and helped you win at a high level, Like this is just where you end up.
Speaker 1: Do you think Wemby's painted Yokic into a corner where now he yes, he's gonna need to take a pay cut.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you guys talked about this a little bit, but like I I my suspicion is that I wasn't surprised that Wemby did what he did. If anything, I was surprised he didn't take an even bigger discount. I gotta believe this was the largest discount he felt he could take without incurring the wrath of like every other player.
Speaker 1: The players Union, yeah, which already wasn't happy by it, right, Which I think that's what this was. This is off topic a little bit, but we got a lot of pushback from that, saying like, why are we criticizing what's happening with the Bucks and Gary Trent Junior? But why isn't it salary caps or a convention with what Jalen Brunson and Victor Woman Yama did. I just wanted to point out I didn't know that that was a thing. It was a more common response than I thought, and some people were like, pretty I don't want to use the word hostile, like they were pretty passionate about it. One. I think the bigger difference is those players were already under contracts with these teams, and Jalen Brunson's case, he took the maximum allowed to him at the time. There's no the The issue is, and now, if we find out that the Spurs and Wemby or the Knicks and Brunson have an agreement in place, you sign something like when you're like inking these contracts or electronically signing these contracts that said there is no other agreement in place. It's apparently a big stipulation when you're signing minimum deals specifically, which is what Gary Trent Junior was on. And the other thing is that Gary Trent Junior then proceeded to get like Victor O Miyama had a Gary Tran Junior signed a three year minimum deal or something, and he just said like, yeah, this is not what I'm worth. I could make more, but I'm signing this three year minimum deal. There's actually nothing wrong with it. Like Wemby is saying I'm taking this for the life of this deal. It's still technically the maximum allowed or close to it. It just doesn't have the hypotheticals in this. The same thing with Jalen Brunson, like the Gary Trang Junior when he did get paid, Jalen Brunson and Victor Miyam are being paid below market money. Let's say characters jug got way above his market value. So like, that's just I was. I don't they seem like apples and oranges situations to be either all looped under the same umbrella of is like do players need to take less? Or like, is this a way to gain the system in the case of the bucks, so that if you're good and you're trying to maximize the window, can you get guys who are implact players to come in a lower number. But I was surprised that it was more of a common refrain than I had. Honestly, I hadn't even thought about, well, what's the why isn't what Wemby's doing or what Jolen Brunson did salary cap circ convention.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I think it's kind of apples and orangesy. It's also kind of like when what about ism is taken to like an even stupid or extreme where it's like, well but how about this, like why aren't you That's like they're not the same. It's Gary Trent's situation is he's being paid far more than he is worth after taking deals that one of them was maybe like it's a player last year, yeah right, so and and whereas like a player sacrifice, like it's I get it, Like I guess, I guess on some level they share the fact that a player is taking less than he could get. But unless you're willing to show how Brunson and Wemby are like gonna be made whole or more than whole on the back end with some other deal that's already been agreed to, this is not the same thing, right even if so, let's let's not just signing a below more market value, it's a contract. It's doing that knowing that you will be paid above market or paid in some other way as a result of taking that deal.
Speaker 1: And maybe that becomes an issue with Jalen Brunson on his next deal, But when he's extension eligible next summer, the Knicks probably give him a max deal unless he's want to take less can you sit there and say definitely, Like Jallen Brunson isn't a max player, why would you get right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like it's such a difference of degree, Like if Jalen Brunson had a terrible year going into when he's eligible to sign his next contract, you'd still be like, he's still worth it. You know.
Speaker 1: The Bucks went through this a little bit with Bobby Porus, and we even saw the Clippers with Nicholas Batoom when those guys ended up signing deals though they were at least a round market value, right, we're looking at this garage, at the four guaranteed years that way above market values. The issue I didn't mean that they're else there. I have one more team on my list. Do you have another team?
Speaker 2: I could like vamp and pick one, but let's just talk about your last one. Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised we haven't talked about them yet, But maybe the bar solow that we didn't.
Speaker 2: Think as well. I mean, this is I don't want to cut you off, but this is one where it's like you could just make the case that they're bad and stupid and it's not that confusing and we're used to it, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Look anytime that like your big offseason move outside of the draft is waving Demard rozen and then potentially stretching his salary so that you can make sure you're not in the luxury tax for a twenty something win team. Fireworks, Baby, I don't Here's here's the thing. I don't actually know. This is why they're being taken Solow. They're still confusing as hell because I don't understand the theory of this team and the I felt so bad for Kings fans. I didn't watch a ton of him in Summer League, but there was a game where I, like Darius A. Cuptry just not looked like he was engaged at all the defensive end or anything, and I was just like, oh my god, Kings fans need like some type of a reprieve from this shit show. You can't write them off based on that. I like Nee Clifford still like the maxim right, no good. Find Dylan Cardwell, who was pissed after one of the games, which if you're gonna get mad after some of league, I respect it.
Speaker 2: You have that guy has to be on this team like to just to make sure there's always going to be a pulse. He absolutely provides that, Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: What you could sit here and say is what did you want them to do? The answer is going to be blow it up. Do any of their individual players have value in a vacuum? And that's fair, that's why they're being taken so low. But they talked about a lot as just what Scott Perry's vision for this roster is going to be moving forward. I still have no idea what that vision entails. And if we're sitting here in the middle of July and we know that they're not planning anything bigger, just because you did waive to Martos and you couldn't find a trade candidate for him, or the plan wasn't to then use him and trade it his full number, Like I thought the precious Chua deal was fine two years and eleven million bucks and he had played some really good minutes for them. Time will tell what whether Darius A. Cuff Junior was the right pick. It's just you know that they're not trying to be good and that they're they've kind of boxed themselves into a corner. But I look at this team, I'm just like, what is actually going on? Like what what is the identity. First of all, they don't have a defensive identity. I don't know, like forget about what is their offensive identity.
Speaker 2: It's it's I mean to me, what's happening here, if you want to be as nice about it as possible is they're kind of just waiting it out because I don't think. I don't you can't trade Levine for anything, at least right now. Maybe that changes if he is great in the first half and somebody's willing to pay this, you know, half of his his salary after the trade deadline or less than that. Actually, Sabonis, I don't think has positive trade value like Kegan Murray of all people, like was untouchable a couple of years ago, And but I don't know if he has positive trade value, Like he has to play himself into like being tradeable, and I don't think want to trade him just as a threshold issue. I think you're just kind of waiting for some of these contracts to get closer to their conclusions, and like that's not the You certainly cannot cannot attach draft assets to move off of these bad contracts that you stuck yourself with. You just have to sit there and wear it until until they're movable for something that doesn't compromise your future. So like, it's it's confusing how they got here. It's confusing how they empowered the people that contributed to getting them here, Like Doug Christy is still the coach.
Speaker 1: Like I don't like.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe maybe the logic there is like we know we can't do anything, so why go get Like it doesn't even matter who the coach is. Like that feels kind of crazy to me because you do have a rookie in a cuff that, in theory is gonna be like he's got the keys, I think, so you definitely want like a better developmental environment for him. But this is just sort of mess. It's it's confusing as to what's confusing is like how did it get this bad? That's that's that's hard to fathom because it took so many, so many great contributors over so many years to put them into the condition.
Speaker 1: What was the inflection point for them? Do you think it was the decision to move on from Mike Brown and everything sort of snowballing from there.
Speaker 2: I I don't know that Mike Brown would have saved this, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think, but think about what that led to the relationship with dearon Fox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you really wanted to go back, it might just be the Halliburton for Sabonis trade, because they've made a decision at that point that like the type of player we believe we should be led by is Fox and then Sabonis, and so we will then surround them with Derozen and Levine and that type. And like maybe if you just picked Tyre's Halliburton, you build differently. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't honestly, I didn't see the Tyre's Haliburton trade coming up. I'm sure King's fans really appreciate you.
Speaker 2: And that, I mean, that was terrible at the time. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Can I provide a peak behind the curtain though, of your loyal of your actual respect for the King.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: We have a new merch line that is going to drop, hopefully shortly, and Grant and the test merch that is being sent to him as we speak, hopefully there They are team themed, So that's your little peak behind the curtain. Grant picked four teams and the Kings were one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't follow up in the moment when I when I actually wish we wanted passure. I was just like, is this like a bit are you kidding?
Speaker 2: It's a great design. Sorry, sorry, I love great design. The logo it works perfectly because it's because the lettering makes sense. It like looks a lot like the logo, like the actual King's script and logo on first look. I don't want to give too much away, but it jumped out of me like that's a good one, and so I had to have it. I you know, I don't discriminate. I'm not listening. My anti King's bias does not extend to good logos.
Speaker 1: And and we've established that you are a fashion used to too, absolutely, I mean look good, feel good.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: So just to get us to ten teams, I want to nominate another one very quickly. I'm kind of balancing back and forth. I think some people are gonna pick the pistons. I want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Well, so let's real quick, let's pick them, because I do I did. I did kind of have them out of the corner of my eyes. I was looking at just a list. Is what's confusing about them? I don't think anything's confusing to me about how they're handling Jalen Duran, because I think this means they're drawing an appropriately hard line on what they're willing to pay him. That part's fine, just the it's kind of been a few years of this issue of like just put the right kind of support staff around kid Cunningham, you know. And we can't be that critical because they won sixty games, But is that a lot? It seems like a decent number, you know, it didn't amount youer than seventy four, but still fier than seventy four, but more than more than fifty nine. Uh, it just you. So Tobias Harris goes out like they've chosen John Collins. I'm doing this off the top of my head. I should have our transaction lists open here?
Speaker 1: Who are the other Isaiah Joe? They get in there right, which ends up confused.
Speaker 2: For them essentially swapped out Isaiah Stewart, which I'm okay with, especially after some of that reporting that like he was pissed off about his minutes in the playoffs and Paul reid Is was playing over him and it's a lot cheaper, So I'm fine with that.
Speaker 1: I also think, so here can I give you what I think might be a hot take is I am more confused at this point by the Miami Heat that I am the Detroit Pistons. I ultimately would have settled on the Miami Heat because, well.
Speaker 2: But you fully understand why the Heat did what they did. It's just a bad decision.
Speaker 1: No, it's a bad decision. But then what have they done? Like?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Like? How have they made it make sense that we're just gonna have no ball handlers? Then why did you negotiate? What's confusing is why didn't you negotiats? Again, it was a market of two teams. Why weren't you negotiating harder in the honest trade. But for the Pistons, here's what's confusing about them. Nothing I'm with you, Nothing about the Jayleen dur and stuff. I actually think he's John Collins. I'm not. I'm surprised that Isaiah Stewart had so little value on balance, But I actually like John Collins for this team because he's a higher volume three point shooter and so you can play him next to Jayleender and if you want, he's a higher volume pree point shooter than even Tobias Harris. I think this team will miss what becomes confusing about this team is they seem to be making a big bet on spacing, improved spacing and internal development. I'm fine with the spacing aspect of I think going from Tobias Harris and Isaiah Stewart to John Collins and Isaiah Joe that's a spacing upgrade, right like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you think Kevin Hurder is going to be better, which apparently the Pistons do, based, yeah, do you.
Speaker 1: Need contracts to trade? But that that is confusing? Yes, I do believe. What's even so you you then make the Karris Lavert trade. What what is confusing is they don't have the internal development part is I don't look at this roster and say, between Donnish, Jenkins or even Asar Thompson, is that secondary ball that primary secondary ball handler in place? My answer to that is still no. And so that leads me to believe they're so far under the tax right now? Are they waiting for the Jalhen Duran thing to settle so that they could then Is there another move in play here? Because their off season does feel anti climactic. But actually, don't think that's confusing when you do look at what the logic of these moves would be I think that they have improved the spacing and I don't know that they've weakened Yeah, And I would say they probably haven't. Like Karris Lavert was not a huge part of what they were doing last year. So have they weakened the secondary creation around Ky Cunningham. The answer is no, it does. The confusing part is, well, what are you have to be waiting for something? Because the grand theory of this team can't be like, well, yeah, we're gonna sign John Collins, bringing Isaiah Joe, bring back Jalen Durnham, like now we're ready to win the championship.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think too maybe you're right that, like, if there's anything confusing here, it's I it's maybe procedural, just because like it to illustrate, like if they had already agreed to terms with Jalen Durant and then still hadn't done anything to address the lack of improved secondary playmaking, that would feel a little weirder. And then maybe even then the argument would just be, like, you know, contrary to our hardballing Jalen duran Uh, we think he's got even more secondary creation in him after the breakthrough he made last year as an offensive player. Like, I don't know that that would feel kind of kind of like a weird uh double talk, but it is, I guess because the Duran stuff sort of needs to resolve before they go do something else. Like maybe that explains some of it, but they couldn't. Just doesn't outside of outside of Kate Cunningham in the postseason. Yeah, and they didn't go get anybody else that can create a shot.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, Gary Harrison, Torrian Princes aren't going to do that for you again. Yeah, they'll prove the creation for you. So they're they're lightly confusing, but I'm actually personally more confused. Bye, Miami, that's fair. Do you have anything else that you'd like to get to before we skidaddle out here?
Speaker 2: So we can skidattle. Great to speak to you again. Let's not do two weeks. Well, we might have to be two weeks off because don't want.
Speaker 1: To apologize for anyone who's coming here at two o'clock am Eastern time, why we're not live.
Speaker 2: Hope you had a great pay good night, sleep well, good luck, Yeah, good night and good luck. Thanks everybody for listening, for watching. Remember to rate, review, and subscribe. Tell your friends, tell your ammies, look forward to that merch We're gonna be dropping soon. Dan tease it, so I'm gonna talk about it a little bit more. The best way though, to support the podcast. If you like what you're hearing, please consider becoming a Patreon member at patreon dot com. Slash Hardwood Knocks NBA number one way to support us, number one way to have more input on what we do. We're gonna we'll have a couple of episodes to subscribers only every month. The aforementioned UH Trade candidate Superstar Next Superstar Trade Candidate will be one of those. Get all these episodes ad free will be that bonus content I mentioned discounts on merch access to our discord links for that in the YouTube and podcast description. I think that covers it. Thanks to everybody who commented, for everybody that was here twelve hours before yet out shouts Frank milikin apologies, Jared Allen