Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property. And for this week of May twenty six, we are wrapping up our watch of season one of Running Point on Netflix with episode ten, Game seven.
Speaker 3: And I just want to note that I thought.
Speaker 2: It was game seven of the entire championship. It was, and it was, yes, I mean they did say last week the playoffs, but so it was just to advance to the next round of the playoffs. You got, Okay, let's not get out of hand.
Speaker 1: And they lost me the moment we heard the voice over it's been a month since my fiance left me. At the end of last episode, he walks out, and we're thinking, well, how are they going to deal with this? How are they gonna you know, it's been a month. They're just like, forget it, it's done, it's over. You know, it ticked me off. Yes, the whole thing ticks me off, but that they're just like, oh, yeah, that was a month ago. We're not going to see any of the aftermath.
Speaker 3: Of that until she figures out.
Speaker 1: You know, we see some in this episode, but we're not going to see any of the immediate aftermath. Yeah, and she thinks that after a month, he's going to come back for his water pick and if this was like the next day, but if it's been a month, he's botty water sweetie, I'm.
Speaker 3: That hard to keep on a new one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh, that whole thing was just as annoying as we thought he was going to be. And you know, she does after a month go and talk to him when he sees she sees he's going to move to Minnesota. Yeah, okay, And she goes to his office to talk to him after a month did they talk anytime?
Speaker 2: I mean, when you've when you've been together for seven years or whatever, and you live and you're engaged, and you're engaged, there's a lot of you know, live together and just administrative stuff you would have to do, right, Like I don't know, he can't just like.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, who owns the lease?
Speaker 3: It's okay, So.
Speaker 1: It is, And they just didn't want to deal with any of that stuff. So it's like a month later, so.
Speaker 2: M hmmm.
Speaker 1: From one ups to the next, no closure for us. And she does track him to his office and there's some stupid thing about a birthday cake and some if we ever seen that character before, the girl who was so abnonscious, so like a completely random character being annoying instead of the two of them talking, which is what we wanted, and you know, he'll get back to her on it. But meanwhile the coach kisses her. So I was completely ready the same with the same fury. I yelled at the TV screen at the end of Shrinking that Brett Goldstein better not jump in front of the train. Oh, he was yelling if live was in this arena somewhere, And he comes walking up I am done.
Speaker 2: I am not watching, I said, I said, and cue the boyfriend, c cue the you know like here he is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, it wasn't on the jumbo tron or anything, was it. I It's just just, you know, don't have the personal stuff if you're going to be this annoying about it. But yeah, okay, we didn't even get to sing her to see her singing swift him. And also, why did I think did you always know he was a pediatrician for some reason?
Speaker 2: Because remember it's remember with the was a pediatricianal alone Hetty or the petas or whatever.
Speaker 1: But it could have been pediatric dentists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I knew he was a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know for some reason.
Speaker 2: And when she went to his office that time, it wasn't a dentist's office.
Speaker 3: It was a doctor's office.
Speaker 1: I guess. So the kid was sitting off to the side, but.
Speaker 3: He was sitting on like a like the kind of a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. He wasn't sitting in a chair. I feel like one time we went in a kid was in a chair, But I guess not. It's not impossible if they changed it part way through. See if he was a dentist. The water pick would be a lot more meaningful.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just saying, oh well, I just.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And also his coworkers dislike her big time. Did we know that before?
Speaker 3: Nope, no idea, Yeah that was like we.
Speaker 1: Should have or that we would have, right. Yeah. So it's just they're just retconning like crazy on this thing, probably because Max Greenfield is not available very much for next season because I think he's on two shows because I read something about him. He may not have much time to be on this show because he's now this new show he's going to be on, and the show he wasn't going to have much time for was not running for it was a due show. So dude's been working and I mean, I don't know what this streaming thing, what the schedule is. They may have filmed this two years ago. I don't know how that works. But it doesn't sound like he's gonna have a lot of time for this, so that maybe it may be one of those those actor availability decisions, which makes me slightly this mad about it, but also used to be he just goes somewhere and get some plastic surgery and come back as a different actor and we just move forward. But we don't do that.
Speaker 2: Anymore, yeah, I mean, or just like it.
Speaker 1: You know, there's two Darren's. There was two in which there was you know, stuff happens. You go over the off season, people forget what people look like. It's fine, but no, no, anyway, So both our guys are moving to other places and.
Speaker 2: Allegedly apparently I don't believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know they're gonna.
Speaker 1: But Cam is there at the end. Yes, and now that we've had we had a heartwarming family episode, family sticking together, and then the other brother shows up.
Speaker 2: Wah, Yeah, and we had the dance.
Speaker 1: Would, by the way, strongly not recommend running barefoot through downtown La. I think that's probably a bad point. Yeah, well, we're really anywhere, but especially well, yeah.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I mean talk about ridiculous, implausible, you know, four miles. Yeah, and she's wearing like a light like a pastel pink suit that has a very long hem, Like she's gonna look absolutely rash when she gets there, like, come on, it's television. Yeah, but we I mean, there had to have been some other way to introduce the drama of getting there.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like I guess.
Speaker 2: They've already wink, they've already done like stuck in traffic.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, yeah, with all the other stuff going on, I was willing to go with that just okay, fine, let's just move along. Shell And then she gives the john Wick speech, which was funny. But I have have you ever watched a john Wick movie? My husband enjoys them quite a bit. I have not, and I enjoyed the general idea of them, but have not watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know the apparently it's I know the thing about how like basically it all starts because someone kills his dog. So but then there's many more things that.
Speaker 1: Many many people killed. Yeah, but so how do we feel about the way this game went? They were so close?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was like kind of like it we're gonna win in ted Lasso, where you're like it would be too like yeah to pat if they if they want it.
Speaker 1: It would be you know, So that is true.
Speaker 3: I didn't really that is true.
Speaker 1: So they won it in a way that they sort of won. They just the last time, last minute, something happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this is what I was saying recently about basketball. How you don't need to watch the game except for the last thirty seconds because that's.
Speaker 1: When I just looked the score afterwards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and Jackie and the Dancer had a little yeah moment barely And it looks like that's they're setting that up for next season, which is good.
Speaker 3: Yes, And we like that for him.
Speaker 1: And you know, he sort of brought the family together and yes, people were nice to him, and it's good. I like to end with that, right, teaching them how to be family? Yeah, that's a parenting related thing. Teaches you how to be family?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: The mom? Usually the mom? Probably the mom. How the mom defines family is how things are going to move home pretty much. Yeah, whether you have a terrible dad like theirs or a good dad. But probably used to, did it used to at some point? Is it always? It's probably always been the mom that defines family for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I feel like the dads want to think it's it's actually.
Speaker 1: The mom is kind of winking behind me, Yes, exactly, but that should.
Speaker 3: Have his opinions.
Speaker 2: But you know, when it really comes to it, who's calling the.
Speaker 1: Yes, the mom makes the culture. So we really have heard nothing about any of their moms, and I'm sure that's something that will prop up in the future. Yeah, and I'm thinking they will probably be on the same sort of subtlety level as Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as Travis and Travis is moll Yeah. Yeah, Well and they did.
Speaker 1: Imply that they will be big and awful in variety of ways. Yes, so that's something to look forward to.
Speaker 3: Can't wait?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is the how do we feel about a season?
Speaker 3: You know there is going to be a season two? Are we gonna? Are we gonna watch it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know. I was really very annoyed with it in a lot of ways. But it's perfectly watchable. Yeah, I think it occasionally throw things at the screen. I think it will. We can maybe watch it on the side and just talk about talk about it for five minutes. But it's fine. It's fine. But it's not something that like I can't wait to see the next episode, right, So, you know, in terms of something like shrinking in which I become really invested in it, this was just perfectly enjoyable watch with you know, enjoyable characters, and it looks pretty and you know, the plotting I have had problems, but it's a sitcom. It's going to do what a sitcom does. So you know, what can you what can you say?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Speaker 1: When it we will.
Speaker 3: When it returns, because I'm not sure when.
Speaker 1: That streaming shows. It's like they're coming back.
Speaker 2: Sometime in the years, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, I keep thinking we're due for another Bridge orton, but I think it's not coming back till next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I've heard as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gilded Age is coming. I keep seeing press releases on shrinking adding additional actors for this next season. I think Jeff Daniels is going to be Jason Siegel's dad, and Michael J. Fox is on it, presumably in a storyline with Harrison Ford's character and a few other people that I recognize. But it's like, great, sounds wonderful. When are we going to be seeing that exactly? Oh, sometime sometime in the future. It's coming.
Speaker 3: Just be patient.
Speaker 2: So next Wednesday we'll kick off a new watch and you know, because we can't get enough of JJ Abrams and Josh Holloway, we are going to check out their new show on HBO Max.
Speaker 3: It is called Duster and it's set in the Jeff.
Speaker 1: And Josh Holloway seems to sport the same hair.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's lust.
Speaker 2: He apparently does not particularly a so yeah, anyway, he plays like somebody who is sort of a.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you want to call it? With it.
Speaker 2: He's a ghetaway driver, a driver, he's a getaway driver for a organized crime group. And so this FBI agent comes and tries to recruit him, basically to flip him. And so we're going to start with watching the first two and.
Speaker 1: It's it takes place in the groovy seventies, right, It takes.
Speaker 2: Place in the groovy seventies and in Phoenix, So there's gonna be a lot of, you know, dusty desert vibes.
Speaker 1: I was in high school in the groovy seventies in California, So yeah, maybe it was a time maybe familiar. It was a time of extremely unfortunate fashion choices. I can't wait to see that, many of which I'm myself made. So yeah, so we'll save you some streaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll start with the first two and then we'll probably go to one per week. HBO Max is dropping them once a week, So we're going to start with the first two. Number one is called Baltimore Changes Everything, and number two is called Suspicious mind.
Speaker 1: Ooh okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, so we'll check that out and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.
Speaker 1: M