Speaker 1: Welcome Friends Podcast podcasting time show Jack again, Bryan, they're talking to black.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode three hundred and eleven, brought to you by Mister Boy Productions. I'm Zachiysan. I'm here with Brian Hall, and it is the last day of February.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, wow, yeah, no Leapier.
Speaker 2: For us, that's right, not this year, not a one in four proposition this time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you have friends that were born on Leapier?
Speaker 2: I I'm sure I do, And nobody comes to mind off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I was growing up, one of my best friends had a leap your birthday, and so, you know, as was our way, we'd be like you're only two, you know, like you're only threes. Yeah, it was really funny. It holds up as a joke.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's quality comedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's timeless.
Speaker 2: How you doing you know, it's it's uh, it's nice. I mean, you know, we're we're recording on a on a Friday morning, So definitely I'm feeling a little bit of the relaxation of the week coming to a close.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, wait, actually that's the opposite of what I would expect you to say. I mean, are you feeling like the weekend will offer some relaxation or is that when things get busy?
Speaker 2: Well, for me, I make it a point to to have as little to do on the weekends as possible.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: So that's I'm because because I'm I'm hustling all week and I really I just need I need my I need my me time. Oh yeah, on the weekend. So so I'm kind of I'm I'm in the ramp down period. I'm I'm making an active effort to to like keep just the news of the world to one side. Like I'm, I'm, I have a feeling this is something many of our listeners are trying to figure out. How to balance knowing everything that's going on with knowing everything that's going on.
Speaker 3: It's hard when so much news makes your body tighten, Yes, because you're like, how much more tightening can my body do? So true.
Speaker 2: So one thing I've been doing a lot of is I've made it a point that like when I'm in the car in the morning, I will I will put on some news and just get a sense of what's going on, and then that is my news for the day.
Speaker 3: You know, I would say maybe something similar, but I mean I'll still click on articles and whatnot. But something I've really enjoyed is I subscribe to the Washington Post. Sure, they have something called the Seven, okay, and so in the morning they'll shoot out an email that will have seven major news stories with bullet points and there's links if you want to go deeper. But it gives you an idea, like an overview of the major stories of them moments. And I've really found that to be a good way to sort of start the day, you know, kind of have a general idea of what's going on, and then if I'm want to learn more and then you got can dig in.
Speaker 2: I literally, just just two days ago canceled my subscription to the Post.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And if I'm being honest, it was a very difficult decision because I'm somebody I believe in the importance of journalism. I believe that if you want news, you have to pay for it. I'm I'm I'm a big supporter of like, you got to pay for the news, yep. And uh, you know, for those listening just as a stickpin in time, you know, Jeff Bezos, who owns the the who owns the Post?
Speaker 3: He he he went full Lex Luthor. Heel, turn, you got ahead of me because I was gonna say, well, see, you've always been a superman guy. I'm kind of a Lex Luthor guy. It's literally like like, this is like if Lex buys.
Speaker 2: The planet, the Daily Planet, that is, you know. And so he basically put out this edict that from now on the editorial page of the op ed section of the Post will only cover personal liberty and free markets.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And I'm like, so the free thought section of the newspaper, now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is my thoughts only, you know? And I literally I was like, that could not be more super villainy if he was brandishing a shard of kryptonite while putting that memo out. You know, yes, what else do I do if you don't laugh your cry? I've been a subscriber to the Post for literally decades. At this point, I was like, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: You know, well, I do want to mention if anyone is interested. I'm not judging, no, no, no, I'm just kidding. Sorry, no, but I was going to say, you don't have to subscribe for that, And I actually I don't subscribe to it. And by the way, this isn't me like backpedaling, because but I promise I was not trying to put you in an awkward But if anyone found that format intriguing, I'm sure there are other places that do it too. It doesn't but you don't actually have to subscribe just to get those bullet points of the major news stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's good. Yeah, and it's by the way, I should say the news operation at the Post that the journalists are doing amazing things. Yeah, trying really hard under very difficult circumstances. But this gets to something.
Speaker 3: Broader, which is like maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: You know, just like conglomerates and billionaires owning all the news is not a great idea, I know.
Speaker 3: I mean it's novel thought, right, Like, let's not have people whose interests involve billions of dollars, yeah, in charge of the information we receive.
Speaker 2: So I was really wrestling with this earlier this week because I was reading about how I don't know if you heard about this, but you know, Donald Trump, as a candidate before you even became president, was suing sixty minutes, yes, right, because he alleged that he alleged election interference because they interviewed Kamala Harris and they edited the interview in order to fit in, you know, the time slot, which like, yeah, that's how it works. That's that's how interviews work. You edit them. That's I do interviews for the print for the newspaper all the time. That's just how it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean you see it often in print. We'll say condensed for clarity and you know whatever exactly. That's just that's just common practice.
Speaker 2: And and and by the way, Donald Trump knows it's common practice.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But sixty Minutes, which is owned by CBS, which is part of Paramount Corporation, is about to be acquired by sky Dance, and so that acquisition requires, you know, a federal approval, and so in order to grease the skids for that acquisition, CBS will likely settle the lawsuit, even though it's a joke lawsuit to the two whatever, it is twenty five million, So it's literally it's like a twenty five million dollars bribe. Wow, right, And this is not conspiracy talk, Yeah, this is just what's happening. And my point is, like, in a broader sense, this is not good. It's just not good because the precedent it sets is horrific. It diminishes the value of actual journalism, and it diminishes their ability to actually hold power to account if powers like actually don't hold power to account, right you know? Yeah, so I don't know. That's where we're at, man, I know, I know. Anyway, So the point I was making way way earlier was I've been diminishing my news intake, and to make up for that, I've been listening to more audio books.
Speaker 3: No, what are you listening to?
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm currently listening to a book that I think our listeners would find interesting. And it's called Box Office Poison. Oh yes, you sent me a link to this, Yeah, so you would. I think you would find it really enjoyable. And basically this is a book by Tim Robi and it's called Hollywood's Story in a Century of Flops. So yeah, crazy right, Yeah, And so you've got essentially going from from nineteen sixteen to twenty nineteen, that's the and so not every single flop ever, obviously, but certain key flops and what they said about Hollywood at that moment.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating. I like that because I would like to learn about a flop in a time that I know nothing about. Because you can see, you know, probably things that feel familiar. It also teaches something about the era. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for example, the very first chapter is about a movie called Intolerance, which was directed by d. W. Griffith. You know, you know Griffith, right, heeded Birth of a Nation. So after doing Birth of a Nation, which is just a horrifically racist, awful movie, he tried to be like, no, I'm not a racist, and he made a movie that's equally offensive for different reasons. And then we've got another chapter about Dune, the nineteen eighty four Dune.
Speaker 3: Ah nice.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, there's a chapter about the Magnificent Embersin's no. Yeah, well I have to get it exactly. There was actually the couple ones. Actually there was. There was one chapter about the movie super Nova, which it's it's it was directed by Walter Hill. I think it ended up as like an Alan Smithy situation. I think, okay, And I remember watching that in the theater back in two thousand with Paul.
Speaker 3: Wow two thousand, I was thinking this was this some eighties movie I missed or.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, yeah, this is more relatively more recent than that. And it's a total catastrophe. But what's hilarious. It's like the sci fi thing, shades of of you know, Event Horizon and kind of but way way worse. And and you've got a pretty decent cast, right, Angela Bassett, James Spader, and you know, there's a total mess. And so sometimes you watch these things and you're like, God, this is the story behind how they made it is almost more interesting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, sure, that's this.
Speaker 2: This is actually this one is kind of funny. There's this amazing So it's set in space and there's like a zero gravity love scene okay with Peter Faschinelle and Robin Tunney, Okay, and they're like floating and doing it. Okay, Okay, now wild. So the movie gets shot and it's done, and then at some point MGM brought in Francis Coppola to try to recut it.
Speaker 3: Huh okay, And so.
Speaker 2: They're trying to recut it, and they're trying to so I guess the Spader character and the Angela Basset character. Bear in mind, I've seen this movie. I saw it twenty five years ago.
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 2: Remember what it's about. Sure, it's just vapor. But anyway, the Spader character angel bass they have a they have some kind of a romance, and so as they're cutting the movie together, they're trying to highlight the romance between them, but there's no footage. So what they did was they took this amazing brand. They took the footage from the Robin Tunny Peter Faschinelli love scene.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they digitally.
Speaker 2: Darkened Robin Tunny and intercut shots of Angela Bassett's face to make us think it's the same sex scene. But once it's like, it's the darker version.
Speaker 3: All right, let's skin tone aside. Let's put that on the table for a second more. I mean, does their hair even look similar?
Speaker 2: No, what they did, it's just like certain shots that avoid her face and then you just intercut like close ups of Angela Bassett and James Spader.
Speaker 3: I guess part of it. Why I'm even thinking that is in my mind I always picture Robin Tuny with short hair. I don't know why. The movies I've seen her in.
Speaker 2: Yeah no and in this also yeah yeah, So they just like you don't see her face, I.
Speaker 3: See, I see. Uh, Well, I gotta google that now I have to know. So wait, so they did is that with existing footage of Angela Bassett? Like they didn't bring her in for reshoots just.
Speaker 2: No, they just like, you know, probably ends in whatever of her face.
Speaker 3: Like so she it's like her eating a meal and she's like, hmm, that's good, and they're like, oh, for use that. Use that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I suppose I'm picturing the editors here just trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It's pretty good, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've ever had that come to my mind to say that, I'm really impressed. Secondly, I didn't make it up. No, No, I know, I'm just I have to vocalize how pressed I am.
Speaker 2: But so that that by itself was a fascinating like chapter.
Speaker 3: See, that's this is the stuff obviously doing this show. People know we love, like we really love not just movies but filmmaking and stories like this. I mean, I just yeah, gobble that stuff up.
Speaker 2: So there there's another chapter as it happens. And this is relevant because we were just talking about John mctiernan's chapter about.
Speaker 3: Roller Ball, which I know was a notorious flop but I don't know why. I've never even seen it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, you are not alone, we know that. Yeah, that's a weird one, right because because that one it it effectively killed John mccernan's career right.
Speaker 3: In a couple of ways, right. I mean there was the film not performing, But wasn't that the movie where he was wired tapping a producer on the film.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: And I got in trouble for that. I think I don't even know if he got in much trouble for that, but it was that he lied.
Speaker 2: Right, he lied about it? Yeah. Yeah, so that's all, like, you know, okay, and it really I mean, when you think about it, what kind of a fifty megaton bomb must a movie be to kill the career of the guy who made Diehard and Predator?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, Thomas Crown, Like I mean, he's he's made some bona fide hits. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's the whole thing that gets into that, and and it is fascinating because the the I haven't watched the remake of Rollerball since it came out, but I've seen the the James con one relatively recently, and I'm like, this is a good movie. Hmmm, Like it's a legitimately good movie. It's not cheesy, it's it's pretty good. It's got something to say, it has a point of view, you know, And so to take whatever that movie had going for and just turn it into this probably the most two thousand movie you could ever make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can kind of picture it in my mind. It has llll cool j right, and Chris Kleine and Chris.
Speaker 2: Klein in the James conrole. Right there, you got a problem, right, right, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the thing with him. He gets dumped on a lot, but I think he was cast badly a lot. That's very good at what he does.
Speaker 2: Well, well, that's the thing, right, I mean his his uh uh, his American Pie character.
Speaker 3: Notwithstanding election, he was he was very good just friends, you know, he's good in those Yeah. Well, I I think I think, Wow, I didn't realize we were going to be like the defending Chris Kling. Yeah, he seemed just from election.
Speaker 2: He seems like a a perfectly cromulent personality, right, just just a nice guy.
Speaker 3: He seems like a nice guy.
Speaker 2: And that, to me is the problem, at least from the two that come to mind where they're trying to have him buck buck his persona which.
Speaker 3: Is Rollerball and and that.
Speaker 2: Street Fighter movie. It's like, well, he's not like a badass. Yeah, yeah, exactly right, and so why are you trying to force him into that? And then yeah, I don't know what he's done lately, but that movie, I mean, it pretty much destroyed everybody's career, you know.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, and Cis came a call into llll cool J and he's like yes and jumped on that train car and rode away.
Speaker 2: When a CBS procedural knocks onder your door, you damn sure better better answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, ll cool J.
Speaker 2: And Chris O'Donnell both man.
Speaker 3: I'll bet you they're sitting there every day. Every day they open.
Speaker 2: Their mailbox and there's a little residual check for fourteen years of NCIS Los Angeles or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Oh man, should be right.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing. So, so I was recommended this book by uh, shoot, you know what. I wish I could remember the person who recommended to me, but but it was a good recommendation. I've really enjoyed listening to it. And the great thing is each chapter is about a movie, but you listen to it all and you're getting a story, right because because it's all contextualized. So, for example, you talk about speed Racer and it's not just oh and speed Racer came out it sucked or whatever, or it flopped. It's like that year this movie was a big hit, and you know, so it's giving you the moment that the movie emerged into.
Speaker 3: Right, right, that's an interesting one too. By the way. I know it has its fans, Yeah, people that think it was misunderstood and love it, and it's made me want to go back and rewatch it, but I just never am in the mood or something. You know.
Speaker 2: I just rewatched it recently, and just for that reason because exactly what we're saying. I mean, there are people who are very much on board with with what it's offering. And I always say about speed Racer, I'm like, you know, I appreciate that it's doing some kind of kind of off the wall. It's just on a frequency that is not playing for me.
Speaker 3: Mmm, sure, right.
Speaker 2: I think I think I applaud the watchousekis for for being like, hey, we're just gonna we're gonna go wild with Warner Brothers money. Yeah, you know, you do that enough and eventually Warner Brothers is gonna stop giving you its money. Which is it seems to have happened.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, interesting, Okay, Okay, well maybe I want then, So unless everyone wants to write in and persuade.
Speaker 2: Me, oh, I know, there's plenty of very dedicated fans of that movie out there, so it does know. But but like I said, if anybody's interested, the book is called Box Office Poison, Hollywood Story in a Century of flops, and and it is very very it's entertaining and informative, all right.
Speaker 3: And you say you're doing the audiobook, you enjoy the the narrator good narration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always a you know, sometimes you got a good book with bad narration, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I've mentioned this before, and not that it was bad, but I many many years ago, I tried to do to Kill a Mockingbird through an audio boo. Just I wanted to revisit it, but I was like, I'll do it while I'm doing things. And the woman it was read by this really old woman, and she was talking very slowly even when I sped it up, and it just I didn't finish it actually I was like, you know, what's screwed this? I'm just gonna read it.
Speaker 2: Well, they got you to read, so that's something that's true. I remember there was a there was a this is not exactly an audiobook, but it was like an animated comic of Watchmen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember that right.
Speaker 2: And it was like one person doing all the voices and everything. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, so it was like an.
Speaker 3: Audiobook and I just I was like, I can't take this seriously, you know. You know that happened to me when I did the audiobook for eleven twenty two sixty three, the Stephen King Story, which was sure, sure, by the way, I adored someday I would love to sit down and read it, but it's just so damn big. I don't know. But anyway, yes, you had that as man narrating it, and it's a a love story, so it'll be like I love you, Josie, I love you too, Brant, you know, and I'm like that drives men. Yeah, It's like I could tell it like didn't work for me by a couple of degrees, even though I did love it overall, where I was like, I don't know, maybe just tire like a woman too, you know, like you know what that that you know what that reminds me.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we're doing like a total tangent here, but that reminds me of the very first audiobook I ever read or heard, excuse me, was Roddy McDowell reading The Batman eighty nine novelization.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a get right.
Speaker 2: Back in eighty nine, you know, and I just remember, uh, it's the scene where you know, you've got the the Harvey Dent press conference, you.
Speaker 3: Know, uh huh. And then and then Alicia looked at Jack pretty tough talk about Carl.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm like, to this day, I remember what that sounds.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, did he do his Nicholson?
Speaker 3: I didn't ask.
Speaker 2: I'm glad he didn't. Actually, yeah, that could have gone. He did a joker. That was what I realized in hindsight. His joker was his mad header, because he was the mad hacker in the series.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know I was wondering, Yeah, if you went a little more Caesar Romero or something, he went a little nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah he got nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, come on, that's great.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what have you seen lately, Brian?
Speaker 3: I've seen a couple of things. I'll talk about two things, then one thing we both saw, so we can talk about that. But I saw a movie that I have not heard a lot about called My Dead Friend Zoe.
Speaker 2: Yes, have you heard of this?
Speaker 3: I've heard of it, Okay, So apparently it comes out today. It is a smaller film, but it is from Universal, and it's a story about an arm vet who served in Afghanistan who comes home and has to take care of her grandfather played by Ed Harris, and his health is declining, and all the while, she's basically hanging out with the ghost of her best friend who she was stationed with in Afghanistan. And so and the ghost is a real sort of sarcastic, wise cracking sort of force that drives our hero crazy a little bit. And it's interesting because it's it's basically a dark comedy, like a dramedy ghost story about PTSD. And it's funny because I really was intrigued by the premise. And I'll have to be honest, like when I started it, I wasn't quite sure what to make of the movie. At first. It begins like a little slower paced, and I wasn't sure all the comedy was landing. But you know, I decided, sorry I should say I saw this as a screener and so I but I decided to stick with it, and I thought the actors were good. And then it just slowly started to click in the place, the tone, the characters, the story. It starts revealing things, so we start to understand a little bit more context between the friends. And I went from starting the movie a little bit like I appreciate the efforts, you know, to by the end I had tears streaming down my face. Wow, So I would I would say it's a little uneven, but ultimately it was really impactful. And it's worth noting that it was co written and directed by Kyle Hassman Stokes, who himself is a veteran and this movie was inspired by two friends that he lost. And I really do feel like that enhances what you're watching because you can just sense that this comes from a really personal place. And yeah, I mean by the end of it, when all of a sudden done, I mean, I really do think it turned out to be a really lovely and affecting tribute to his friends and to veterans and to anyone's suffering from PTSD. Really pretty powerful by the end. So that's great. Yeah, yeah, I was really glad that I got to. Be honest, I don't know if I would have even heard of it if it hadn't been sent to me. And I just again for a little bit of context, I was I couldn't beam it to my TV for some reason, so I had to watch it on my laptop, which I wasn't crazy about, and and like you know, I wasn't quite on its wavelength at the beginning, and I did find myself looking around a little bit. And then to this film's credit, I mean when it started clicking, I forgot all that it had my full attention, and like I said, I had tears at the end of it. So's it's a first directorial effort from Houseman Stokes, and I think he you know, like I said, it's very personal, and I think he did a really great job sort of like distilling complicated thing, you know, like obviously something from his life, but the way that he was able to turn it into this weird ghost comedy and have me understand something about him that I don't know that I would have, you know, understood when just written on paper, Like oh yeah, I came back from this place and I lost a friend and it makes me feel like this. You're like, well, that's oh, that sounds terrible, but like experiencing it through these characters in this unique and interesting take really brought me into it and made me feel a lot of feelings. And I think he did a really great job.
Speaker 2: So that's great. O.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wanted to shut that out and then Zachi, I did it. Last night, I spent three hours and forty minutes in a movie theater and I finally saw The Brutalist. Was it brutal the experience not the movie? Well, if you ask me, no, you asked my friend, I don't know what he would say. So for those who don't know, and I, you know what, I didn't really know what this was about when I went into it. I knew it was about an immigrant immigrating to the US after World War Two and he's an architect. That's all I knew. And that is that is what it is. It's a Hungarian Jewish Holocaust survivor comes over to the US. Prior to the war, he was an architect and once he gets to the US, he's struggling a little bit to find work, and he ends up redesigning a wealthy businessman's library. And I hesitate to say more than that, because it actually was nice, not knowing where it was going, but you know, needless to say, opportunities arise for him following that, and an opportunity comes up where he can make something grand and personal, and of course there are you know, obstacles along the way. This is a really interesting movie. It's I mean, I was lucky enough to see it on a big screen, but that aside just the filmmaking itself, it just feels very grand and gargantuan, and at the same time it also is very intimate, and it feels very lived in this story about the immigrant experience, and I walked away transported. I really liked it, and I talked about this many months back. But seeing the movie Civil War, where I know some people could you know, have some problems with it or be like, oh, yeah, I was pretty good, but I don't know about this and that, and I might even agree with you. But I was in another world for two hours, and that doesn't always happen. And I had the same feeling with this where I really felt like I left another like I almost time traveled to another era and hung around beside this person and just experienced someone else's life for three hours forty minutes. And that really moved me, and I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The other thing too, was not knowing even what the tone of this movie was. I didn't know what lay ahead. I didn't know if there was some huge tragedy that was going to happen. I didn't know if people were gonna like, I mean, it's someone gonna like murder someone like. I literally had no idea what the tone of this movie was. And there is this.
Speaker 2: Way to experience a movie, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It really is, And you know, there was this sustained unease in the air while I was watching it. I was uncomfortable. And you know what, I'm sure he had the same feeling that character. So I really did get to experience that along with him, where he's getting to do something exciting, and there was a moment where I almost wanted to clap my hand because I was so excited for him. But then there is the unease. You know, he doesn't know what lays ahead. Things, a lot of things are out of his control, and I feeling that, I feel like, maybe that is why I experiencing the movie the way that I did. I really felt transported with it. I'll say it's I've heard a lot of people speak about the fact that it's in two parts, so there's a you know, being almost four hours, there's an intermission in the middle, and I had heard a lot of people talk about preferring the first half to the second half, and I can understand that actually, because I think the first half has a lot of drive that's pretty irresistible. You know, this immigrant coming over and not knowing anyone, not knowing what he's going to do, and then finding opportunity, and that's it's paced. I should say it's paced pretty leisurely, so know that getting into it. I don't know if I call it slowburn, but I would say it's a little leisurely. But you really want to see things work out for this character, so I was really invested and interested in this person. The second half, I think people's feelings about it will depend on if you were invested completely at this point. So you want to know what's going to happen with this with this guy, so that keeps you motivated. The second half becomes a little bit more about him and his personal life, and if you just aren't into it, like if it didn't lock onto you, I could see people feeling like less interested as it went along. But yeah, no, it's it's just big, grand historical filmmaking. Like it reminded me actually of The Master, that kind of a feeling or a phantom thread both. Okay, pta movie great, great movies, great movies, And I don't know that I connected with this one as in the same ways that I did with those others. I think The Master, at least in terms of how that movie made me feel, is a good point of comparison.
Speaker 2: Do you think it would have worked better for you if Adrian Brody had a Rosta wig?
Speaker 3: By the way, did we talk about this when they showed that clip oh at the SNL thing that SNL fifty was someone like like, oh, he I'm not gonna I'm sure he doesn't get that oscar When they were doing I mean for people who don't know what we're talking about, years years, years back, when Adrian Brody hosted SNL, he was introducing Oh, I don't forget remember who the musical guests?
Speaker 2: Remember?
Speaker 3: I think they might have been like, have a reggae bent to them, so he went. Nobody knew he was going to do this. But when he you know, usually you go ladies and gentlemen, you know, Maroon five or something like that. Like he came out with a rosto like dreadlock wig on and started talking in a fake bad Jamaican accent and it and it went on for like what felt like forever. And can you imagine what Lorne Michaels was doing under the bleachers with like his his papers, probably you know, squeezing them in his hands watching it anyway, that's but yeah, anyway, so the brutalist. I don't know that it's paced or plotted for maybe like the casual moviegoer or something, someone who's looking for something to just pop on on a Friday night. This might not be for you, but like there is like wonderful acting in this, and it's a really intriguing character film, and it just feels like I say, I keep thinking of the word transportive and epic in this really unique and special way, and I was really glad to go on the journey with it.
Speaker 2: Well there you go, hey, that lights a fire under me to carve out the I don't know how I'm gonna make that three and a half, three hours and forty five minutes fit in with my schedule, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just it, isn't it. Wait? What was I seeing? Oh that Mickey seventeen. Yes, I was like, yeah, of course I want to see that. And then I saw it was over two hours, and I was like, why a lot.
Speaker 2: Of those stuff, all those short movies seem to be coming back. You know, there's a you know, under two seems to be more common than not these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what I was going to say real quick for you specifically, is you know, you obviously you could break it up. There's a natural break in the middle built into the movie. But I do wonder if the second half you almost need to come right off the first half to feel as this in the second half. I don't know, I think, what do you think Family Movie Night? No? No, no, no, sorry, I people haven't seen it, not that it would be obvious, but you know, it's funny. It's not that there's just like two sort of sex scene moments, and uh one at the beginning is like pretty graphic, but uh yeah, I mean I mean you could like sort of if you had like chapters, I'm sure you get like chapter skip or something, but yeah, but I did watch something else.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, before we can do that, we were talking about the SNL thing. I just wanted to get Yeah, I didn't get a chance to talk to you about it. What did you think of the SNL. We haven't talked about this out.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it. I mean we've we've said we're huge SNL people, and we still watch it every week, and we also love learning about the history, and so this was kind of all the above, right where you get to watch sketches and relive the greatest of from the past, but it was also kind of about the lore and shining a light on you know, there were all these documentaries that were dropping on Peacock about the writers specifically and how they focus on the cow Bell sketch for an hour and talk about what went into creating that and how it came to be as we know it, and I just devoured all that stuff, and.
Speaker 2: You know, I was thinking, yeah, I saw I saw some folks online who were like, what you know, something to the effect of like, why are they making such a big deal out of this SNL thing?
Speaker 3: And I'm like, cause it's the fiftieth and that's a huge deal, Like can we can we not? Well, I would say I say two things. One what you just said, because it's fifty years old and in television that's like monumental. Absolutely, And secondly, if you don't care, then why are you even commenting on it? Like, go pitch what you care about when you care about exactly?
Speaker 2: For me, yeah, I loved all the documentaries and then they had the concert the night.
Speaker 3: Before, which I yes, people have recommended it to me and I still haven't watched it, but I'd like to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen the clips you know, on YouTube and whatnot, but the actual yeah, the event, it was it was for me. It was one of those things I was watching with my oldest I was like, you know, I feel like it's like the rings of a tree trunk. How many SNL anniversary specials you get to watch, you know, mm hmm, because the twenty fifth and I don't think there was the thirtieth of the fortieth. Yeah, you know, that's the fun and that's the history, and that's the legacy and and I love all of that, you know, And what I realize is like, you know.
Speaker 3: The the the legacy of how you have your sketches and then those are the sketches that you share with your kids or that you shared with your parents, and it just gets.
Speaker 2: Passed along, right Yeah, yeah, And that's the amazing thing. That's what makes this so unique, you know totally. I think you know, because every couple of years we get the oh, the show sucks now whatever, and that's almost missing. The force for the trees, right is the existence of the show, and you know it's gonna be this this amazing thing that just carries on, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that's a real key to unlocking a love of the show, which is, yeah, every episode is uneven because they made it in six days, and that's part of its charm is when something does land, what a miracle, you know, and when it doesn't, you think, oh, I think I see what they were going for there, Like it just didn't come together, you know, like it's all part of.
Speaker 2: It, right, And just to pick up on what you're saying, what you realize is in any given season, with your twenty plus episode, there will be probably like five sketches that are just all timers. Sure, not to say the rest will suck. Right, There'll be varying degrees of amusing and some just won't at all. But there's gonna be a handful in any given season that are just like they are watched and talked about forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right. For every one cow Bell, there's how many that are just kind of you know, they just came and went, and that's the nature of the form and that's.
Speaker 3: What makes it fun, you know. I agree. I agree.
Speaker 2: I should also say we're talking about audiobooks. I downloaded the audiobook of Lorn, which is the biography. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I listened to a long form interview with the author, yes, and it made me really want to check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like, oh great, and then I saw it's twenty two hours, and I was like, oh, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Then do you ever get like a little giddy thrill though when you put it to like one point seven speed and all of a sudden it's like sixteen hours. You're like, hey, dude.
Speaker 2: Remember that that it was? I think it was a New York magazine about how the author of that book accidentally didn't do like a blind copy when she sent a mass email. Oh yes, yes, right, right, So she sent a mass email to like all these luminaries SNL related and not about like hey, I'm having like a cocktail for the book or something to that effect. And instead of doing a BCC, she accidentally just hit you know, just her entire address book, right right, And so before long this reply all theater started playing.
Speaker 3: Out right right with these really famous pechos, like famous people.
Speaker 2: Some people are like what Aaron Sorkin's like, why is everybody emailing me? And I'm like, what a fascinating list to it to be a part of right, Like that's its own little status symbol, right if you're in that mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something like that is like almost a historical document like that should be in the Library of Congress email chain.
Speaker 2: It was. It was very funny just reading reading the responses to the responses and stuff and the way it just kept escalating. So funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was anyway.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I just I didn't get a chance to talk to you.
Speaker 3: No, no, well, you know, And it's funny too because the show itself was very long, and I think, yeah, yeah, I watched it with some friends and I think we I don't know that we did it on purpose, but we started it a little late, so we were able to fast forward through a lot of the ads, and you know, I made it go a little easier. But it was fun. It just felt like a good celebration. You know. They brought back some of their famous sketches, but notably there were sketches that feature a huge cast of characters so they could slot in a bunch of major celebrities like Eddie Murphy and stuff to like just make it feel big in like a celebration. And and some of them hit, some of them didn't. And I was talking about that with my friends because we were like, oh, that didn't really work, did it? And I was like, yeah, just and l you know, like some of it works, some of it doesn't.
Speaker 2: That's that's the show, the fact that and you and I we talked about this. You know that they had the Black Jeopardy sketch and you had Tracy Morgan as a character. Yeah, and then Eddie Murphy playing Tracy Morgan right right right, And I was like, imagine being Tracy Morgan. Yes, he probably grew up idolizing Eddie Murphy and now he's on stage imitating you.
Speaker 3: I know, I thought that I thought that very thing, what a What a mind trip, What a moment. Anyway, what else did you see? Well, I saw something. We both watched the same thing, which was September five. Yeah, yeah, which is kind of fascinating because this, I I believe came out last year. I think the thinking was it would be an Awards contender, and it just I don't even know when it actually dropped. It just streaming. I mean, this just completely flew under the radar. I mean, this was this was not a it was not a streaming original, right, No, No, I think this wasn't well you know what, I feel like. I do remember it playing at my regal for at least a week or something, and I thought, oh, I'm curious about that. But yeah, it's interesting. I kind of wonder why that is. But well, I I if I were to guess, yeah, well we probably have the same guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So well we should say, first of all, so it's about the terrorist attack at the Munich Olympics in nineteen seventy two. But it's specifically about how the ABC Sports team, uh we're the only uh TV crew that was positioned to actually cover the story. Yeah, from like from from a front row seat, and what what I really. You know, I just realized I'm talking right right, I cut you off.
Speaker 3: I bath, no, no, no, no, you're exactly yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I So anybody who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of just like journalism movies. This is my sweet spot. And and multiple listeners reached out to me and were like, Zach, you got to watch this.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I know, I know it's on my radar, but I love Oh people know me. That's good. But what I love is.
Speaker 2: It it truly exists only within the field of awareness of these TV people.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: We any any information we get, we only get if they get right. And that's what I really liked about it. I thought, Peter uh uh, Peter Sarsgard in the lead role, he's rude art Ledge. It was like, like, this is what a dork I am, Like, I know, Rune Arlich, oh really yeah, but he's very good in the lead and and really like it's a very small scale, but but the steaks feel very high, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and I wanted to call out John mcgarth macgaro, yeah, from from The Big Short. Oh yeah, I didn't. I didn't place him, but he is captivating. I mean, he's very understated, but captivating. It's we talk about competence porn and how much we love that in our stories, which is basically something happens and smart, competent people are thinking quickly on their feet and doing the best they can, and the best thing can is pretty damn good, right.
Speaker 2: And well, and and just to add to that and grappling with the ramifications if if they get it.
Speaker 3: Wrong, yes, yes, yes, Like there's a whole moment where they're deciding who to call the perpetrators, like are they terrorists? It's like, well, terrorists is a charge word. Do we know? Like who are they? Blah blah blahlah, Like they don't know anything, and they're figuring it out as they go, and they have a responsibility as like you said, the sole people who will be bringing this live to the world. And it's an analog world, right, Like there's this moment at the beginning I loved where this is happening in the Olympic village, which they're pretty close to their broadcast operation, and so just again being in nineteen seventy two, they don't have little handheld cameras and stuff, so they have to take a TV camera, like a big clunky sitcom look in TV camera and they make the decision like I don't know how find cable long enough and just roll that thing out onto a hill. And I don't know, just the quick thinking and the innovation, like they don't realize it, but they're innovating live news coverage. Yeah. I loved this movie. I thought it was riveting. Yeah I think that.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, Benjamin Walker, who he was the guy from Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
Speaker 3: Wait who did you play?
Speaker 2: He plays Peter Jennings.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, wait was he Lincoln?
Speaker 2: He was Lincoln?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll be damned right. And and his Peter Jennings was incredible, no joke. I yes, I I his voice is spot on, right, Yeah. I was like, that is exactly Peter Jennings's voice, you know. Yeah, yeah, no, I I think I texted you afterwards and was like, how did everyone miss this? This is just really and it's like ninety minutes, it's only what it needs to be and I, I don't know, I was I was riveted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I so. I suspect that current geopolitics played a role in Yeah, this one probably getting getting you know, swept under the rug a little bit navy fan with a little hot button a little bit, yeah, and whether that's the right decision wrong. So I'm not going to get into that, but I think the movie itself works because it's just it's about the responsibility that comes with with, you know, being a journalist, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I mean, the movie isn't about politics or even the situation itself, you know, that's right. It's just a thing that's happening, and we're following the people that have to figure out in a time before this was commonplace, how do we as responsible journalists bring this to the world.
Speaker 2: And in a marked contrast from the brutalist this one is ninety four minutes soaking wet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is great.
Speaker 2: It's a nice little chaser.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh and then I want to also call out I don't know how to say her name, but Leoni Binesh maybe. Yes, she's the German translator and she was in a movie I really liked, called The Teacher's Lounge, so I was happy to see her again. Oh great, Yeah, well there we go. Yeah, I'm glad we both like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well, yeah, you know, I think it's on streaming now. I don't know if it's on like VOD or p VOD streaming. I don't know if any what service is going to have it, but if it comes across your radar, it's worth watching. I think it's pretty terrific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it's screenplay is nominated either for Best Screenplay or Best Adapted Screenplay. I'm not sure. Oh, okay, well there you go.
Speaker 2: So that's something at least. Hey, we got some listener letters here, Brian. Oh great, So here's a note we got from Spencer Toyson. And this is in regards to our commentary track for Office Space. Okay, and he says, hello, dudes, So the same feeling that the culture has for Office Space I have for Superman three. It's appropriate because the two movies are intertwined.
Speaker 3: That's right, he says.
Speaker 2: Definitely not a critical or financial success, but I can't help but feel and acknowledge how purposefully goofy and intentional Superman three is large, cowboy hats, suitcases full of alcohol, and unemployed man being a super hacker. Well, it's like he's describing my life. It's wonderful. As a Superman feature, it's not the adaptation you'd think for sure. However, if Evil Superman's worst crime is blowing out the Olympic torch, come on, that's gold. Terrorizing a sculptor, making Pisa models platinum.
Speaker 3: Maybe one of my top moments in the whole Superman series.
Speaker 2: It's so great. I love it, he says. If anything, if there's anything that the film has given us, it's the resurgence of my use of the word keyster. And I should say, by those for those of you who came in late, that's because you and I, Brian, during the course of our commentary track for that film, I said that Superman must have taken that. How did he get that jar of acid past the computer, the supercomputer? Obviously he keystered it.
Speaker 3: Yes, he key stirred the acid.
Speaker 2: He keysterred the acid. And thus a catchphrase for the ages was born and Spencer's and for that, I'm forever grateful. It's further away from release, but I'm hopeful that generations might find the gem that is Richard Pryor v Superman. Thank you Spencer for that. And then we have another note from Adam O and this is in regards to our Diehard with.
Speaker 3: A vengeance commentary track, Oh we Are our last episode.
Speaker 2: Most recently, he says, this was the first Diehard movie I saw, so I have a soft spot for it. It's a big incoherent in the middle. Excuse me, let me try that again, Ran, Sorry, it's a bit incoherent in the middle, But Willis and Jackson have such great chemistry it makes up for any flaws here here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're big fans. I think that's sort of you know.
Speaker 2: I think, like any big franchise, you sort of glom onto whichever one you happen to see first. So I do wonder about that a little bit like Diehard three really blows up the paradigm, right, So do if you watch that one first and then you watch the previous two, are you like, Oh, this is so like small scale.
Speaker 3: It's confined. He doesn't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's just in the one building. What's that all about? But I think it has withstood the test of time, I.
Speaker 3: Think so, I think so. I think, yeah, time has been kind to it. Also, I think it's more beloved now than it's been. I think it's been people have gone back and re evaluated it, or at least the people who weren't crazy about it to begin with, right, because I always liked it too because I was kind of young and just took it for what it was and what.
Speaker 2: Was it not? Well, like my recollection is that it.
Speaker 3: I mean it did really well, which we talked about when it came out. I feel like there was a moment and I don't know, it could just be in my sphere, but when I talked about it with people that was not a favorite.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's my memory of it because I remember having this feeling always being surprised and being like, oh really, I don't know. I think it's kind of good that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I've never had like in depth conversations about the I heard films with anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was you know, like co workers and things.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well hey, thank you everybody for for those comments on our commentaries. Yeah, I had gotten one. I got a message on Blue Sky from Terrence who just said, hey, guys, I love listening to the show and I just want to ask how are you guys doing, which I just I was tickled by that message because because you know, no but nobody asks us how we're doing. Brian. Yeah, no, and I just want to say Terrence, thank you, a thank you for asking don okay, I think, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's so funny. I was thinking of like a comedy album like Adam Sandler when they have all the foley like I wish you could hear like ice. I'm like, well and then here like ice clinking in a glass, and.
Speaker 2: You know I I my usual response is is taking it one day at a time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'd say the same. I mean, look, I it'd be easy for me to say like good, yeah good. You know people like how you doing? Oh good? Good? Like you just say good. It's just like a response. You know, life's got it. It's ups and downs at the moment. I'll be entirely honest.
Speaker 2: To quote the Just the Ten of Us theme song, we're doing it the best we can.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So definitely, there are days when you know you're you're doing something and it's really fun with your friends and you're like, oh wow, I feel very lucky. I feel very blessed for these people and the things that I get to do and and that sort of thing. And then there are other days when you know life's not going your way and you feel a little down, you know, So it's yeah, I would I would say kind of up and down, but you know, truly, and this is being honest. This doing this show and getting to talk to Zachi for two hours every week is truly highlight and lifts me up every time. And the engagement with everybody, I mean, people leave comments after the show and we get these listener letters, and I just feel so touched by all of it, and so I enjoy the connection that comes from this absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, speaking of just the ten of us, I don't know if you knew this. I happened to be on YouTube the other day and they had the opening credits for that, you know, and it's it has a very catchy intro theme, so you do have to kind of listen to it. The kid like the did you ever watch that show?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I remember it, but no you're like aware of it though, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah I was not. I was not a you know, a regular viewer. But the kid on that show, the young boy, is Matt Shackman.
Speaker 3: Wait, I know that name.
Speaker 2: He's the director of The Fantastic four. Wow. So he did Wanda Vision and then you know, based on the back of that he did the Fantastic four or he's doing the fantas I was like, I was like, is that the same? And I looked it up and it is indeed the same guy. I'm like, well, he really for doing it the best he can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: There there is a YouTube channel that is dedicated to taking This is for our listeners that you already know about the spring taking the Just the Ten of Us theme song and placing it on the opening the intro sequences from other shows under the thesis that the just the Ten of Us theme song works for any show, and it is rather remarkable because I would say it works about eighty percent of the time, like flawlessly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that reminds me. Yeah yeah, I think you sent me that a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like, there's just something about seeing Walter White making meth with the with the just the Ten of Us theme in the background that just kind of puts it puts a little spring in your step. I have to say, yeah, hey, we got some we got some news here, Brian Man, Yeah, a lot of news.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, a lot of passings have happened very recently and sort of clumped together. This is from a couple months ago, but I did want to mention it given that it very much overlaps with the things we talk about. John Irwin passed away. He was eighty eight years old, and you may not know the name, you may not know the face, but I suspect you know his voice because he's the voice of he Man in the nineteen eighties animated series.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was also the voice of Reggie in the Archie cartoon show. And he was the voice of Morris the Cat from the TV commercials.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, I remember that. Yeah. And then I saw a random sort of little fact about him that I sent to you, which is he is also the voice of the radio sportscaster in That Is the Future Part two, who's announcing the football game when Old Biff is trying to prove to young Biff that the Sports Almanac is real.
Speaker 2: So that's hilarious. Yeah, so definitely, you know when when when you say he Man's voice, like, I can I know exactly what that voice is same, Yeah, I can hear it in my head, right, And and really what's kind of amazing is he did both Prince Adam and he Man and it was just a matter of you know, lowering it by an octave and sounding heroic, right, and you go a little higher pitched and you know you sound like like dorky Prince Adam.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean yeah, and of course I can hear the echoe. I have the power.
Speaker 2: It is amazing how like that character has resonated, right, I mean, you know we joke about like, well it's fallen out of favor or whatever, but like that that cartoon, people still watch it and kids continue and I honestly like I think a big part of that is because he was voiced in such a welcoming way. Yeah, Like he seems like, uh like the friend you'd want to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, Like like the connection I draw is like Peter Cullen as optimist prime right.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: What what what Culin did so effect does so effectively is he has like the you know, the gravel to give it, you know, the sense of of uh like seriousness, right.
Speaker 3: But he he's he has the softness to make him sound like a friend. That I really do. I can't think of examples off the top of my head, but I have noticed this in films or shows or whatever where yeah, it's like when you have the toughest nails or hard boiled leader, that's great, but you also want to feel like it's a person who would bring you in, you know, like would not be like beat it, Brian, you can't hang you. You know, I really do feel like that's a really uh an unspoken part ingredient that's really important to those types of characters, where you feel like they'd feel like they want you to be a part of the heist too. You know, you're right, And both of those voice actors do a great job of imbuing their characters with that quality.
Speaker 2: Like I think at least part of the reason that eighty seven live action movie was not received particularly well is that, well, Dolph Vungren doesn't sound like he man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, yeah, well, speaking of I mean, there were some I don't know if they're leaked, but there was some set up pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess this movie is actually happening. I know, you and I joked because they've been saying they're going to make a Masters of the Universe movie for I mean decades.
Speaker 2: I mean certainly the entire life of this podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And there have been scripts and you know, stops and starts. But you and I were joking, you know, when our butts are in seats in the theater and it's actually rolling in front of us, that's when we'll believe it. But we saw set photos and actually I don't know the actor's name.
Speaker 2: But Nicholas Gallazine.
Speaker 3: Okay, looks pretty good. Yeah, I think, well, well my wife is suddenly a fan. Well we should say two things. One, there's some sort of like teaser poster image thing where you just see a gripped fist holding the sword, which is awesome because it looks exactly against a Peck.
Speaker 2: We should say.
Speaker 3: Against the pack. Yeah, and that Gregory Peck's descendants. We're talking. No. But the set photo is kind of interesting and you have to think about it a little bit because we're seeing he Man or Prince Adam whoever in jeans and a button up shirt in modern times. So you're led to wonder, oh, is this another movie where he Man is sent to Earth? Kind of like the eighties film what's the story going to be here? I think some people were a little like, not this again. We have this take place on Eternia. I don't know. I mean, I'll ep an open mind, but I mean, what did you think when you saw that?
Speaker 2: Well, as soon as I saw the picture, I was like, oh, well, he's wearing a a white T shirt and a pink button down, so he looks like Prince Adam, right, So I was like, oh, so it's Prince Adam, it's not he Man. I was like, oh, so they're doing the thing like the old filmation show where he's got the exact same physique, right.
Speaker 3: Right, right right.
Speaker 2: But like people, people, people are like, oh, how can nobody recognize Superman when he takes the glasses of I'm like, hey, he Man just takes his shirt off and nobody recognizes it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets tan and and half naked. If I were to guess I don't know anything about this this movie thus far plot lives, but I would guess he's on Eternia and he doesn't know who he is.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I wonder if this is a hook situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that right exactly, you know that, that would be my guess. I have no idea, but the mirror.
Speaker 3: He looks pretty good. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And I saw interviews of him from like a year ago, and he was like this this you know, very thin looking guy. So I'm like, damn, he put in the.
Speaker 3: Work, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got a great cast. So and Travis knight By, though he's directing, he did he did Bumblebee Oh, which I liked exactly right, and that certainly had the exact right flavor in terms of respecting uh An eighties mythos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much. So you're right, yeah, the whole eighties thing. And then it also had humor and heart and so to me, the cast list is well, okay, Jared Leto eskeletor notwithstanding, and even that I'm willing to hold out for because I feel like there's the potential of Leto doing something fun and interesting with Frankly, if he must do this at all, that could actually kind of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and it's going to be a CG thing and whatever, it's fine, but but like, and we talked about Idris Elba playing Man at Arms and Marina mcaren is the sorceress and all that sad I'm like, wow, I and I read that it's like trap Jaw and triclops and Fisto and I'm like, I know all of those guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like actually going for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So I'm like, you know, show me, show me what battle Cat looks like, and let's get the sucker going, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Orco will there be Orco? That's that's the eternal question. I remember having a toy had that little zip thing that you pull through it. Yeah, it was like a drag strip, right, you know what. I love a filmation.
Speaker 2: The company that made the show was notoriously cheap, right, because they would you know, if you watch the show, they would reuse the same animation sequences and whatever. Right. So, Orco who was created for the show. He was originally going to be called Gorpo, and the reason they changed him to yeah is because if you put a G on his chest, yeah, you can't flip the cell.
Speaker 3: Oh. I thought, you're even. I thought it's going to be even more like my new show where it was like lip flap, because then you'd have to have a different sort of you could go orc. Oh no, that's good.
Speaker 2: No, it's just because he had a O on his chest.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so funny. That makes complete sense, And you know what, I respect that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey man, because here's the thing. Because filmation, even as a kid like I knew filmation shows and I was like, oh, filmation, they're the ones that always reuse the animation hm which a is entirely appropriate because he Man toys like constantly reused parts, right, And I knew, like even as a kid, I knew that.
Speaker 3: Right, Like as another beefy musclely action figures, just he Man's body painted green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well the best, the most, the most mercenary use of this was a character called Faker, okay, which was it was he Man, it was it was the body was he Man, but it was it was molded in blue plastic.
Speaker 3: Mm hm oh.
Speaker 2: And they gave him Skeletor's harness in orange, so he's a blue he Man with an orange Skeletor harness. And they're like, this is Faker. He's the evil he Man robot. And I'm like, golf clap for that, right, because even as a kid, I was like, that is some bullshit right there. I know what y'all doing.
Speaker 3: They could have just taken he Man and put like an old timey mustache on him and called a Faker. So I gotta at least they used some paint, you know.
Speaker 2: So that was like Mattel was notorious for that Filmation to do the same thing. So I'm like, you know, I respect that partly because at the time in the eighties, Mattel was the sorry. Filmation was the only animation company that was fully made in the United States. Wow, And so that's how they kept costing and everyone else was shipping their work overseas. And guess what, we have no domestic animation now because overseas just does a cheaper so Filmation was holding down the line.
Speaker 3: I respect that, Yeah, totally. Anyway, he Man movie. We don't even know what it's called.
Speaker 2: Is it called Masters of the Universe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that is.
Speaker 2: It's coming out next summer, so not twenty five but twenty six.
Speaker 3: I'm into it. It's tickling a little nostalgia for me. I really hope. I hope it's fun.
Speaker 2: Well, this is going to be an Amazon MGM release, so Brian, you know what that means.
Speaker 3: You know, we might be.
Speaker 2: Looking at a shared cinematic universe with Double O seven and Jack Reacher and I'm gonna say Bill and Ted. Yeah, maybe RoboCop or throw a RoboCop in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe. Uh. Fred Astaire brought back through special effects. It'll be like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or something. Yeah. Oh man, Actually, you know what would be the most amazing magic trick ever, as if they did do something that ridiculous, but they're like, no, no, no, it's going to be good, Like let's really make something brilliant, play it totally straight. Yeah. I don't know why. That's just my thing. I want to see people do something that's really really stupid, but like really you know, like manipulate everyone, and then they're like, wait, I think that's actually good. I don't know how to feel about this.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like bell Air, right, the show, The Peacock Show.
Speaker 3: Oh right, yes, where again.
Speaker 2: That it started as like a trailer like let's let's do it like play it straight, and that's what makes it funny, like.
Speaker 3: A funnier die kind of thing. Yeah, yeah, like what if?
Speaker 2: And it's like pretty decent. That's yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know, So you watched first season.
Speaker 2: At least I've watched the first season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, interesting and Will Smith I mean, because it didn't it start literally as a parody and then Will Smith was like, let's talk yeah exactly, yeah, Will Smith Man, you know you know, he is a producer on like on Cobra Kai. Interesting, right, and I didn't I would assume that whatever rights he had thanks to the twenty ten movie, he somehow still he gets he gets to dip his beak.
Speaker 2: You know, I totally forgot about that. Yeah, right, So I'm like, hey, you know, good, good for him. Yeah, totally make that money. So John Irwin a voice for the ages, truly, and he will be missed. Another another person who just passed away a couple days ago as we record this, Michelle Trachtenberg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was shocking.
Speaker 2: Came as a surprise. She was of course she I think for many people came on the scene with Harriet the Spy in the nineties. I knew her as as Dawn. She was Buffy the Vampire Slayer's younger sister. But of course she had been in Gossip Girl, she was in the movie euro Trip. Died at age thirty nine for a cause of death undetermined, But obviously age thirty nine is not you know, generally that's a normal thing, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, well, and she had had a surgery recently, right, something involved a liver transplant. Oh okay, so yeah, I mean you can kind of imagine. But yeah, see seeing that headline in the number thirty nine, it just feels like a kick to your chest. You shouldn't see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was somebody. I mean, she had continued to work, but you know, she had dealt with some stuff, you know. I mean I remember a couple of years ago when when all this stuff came out about about Joss Whedon, one of the things that was said is that he was not allowed to be alone with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And so that made me think, like, man, you know, she was probably dealing with a lot of this Hollywood bullshit from a very young age and for most of her life probably, and that's just a rough thing in general, you know.
Speaker 3: And and then after she passed, I mean, what's sort of heartening to see is that all the tributes to her and all the people who had worked whether through all those years, just had nothing but really lovely and heartfelt things to say about her and her character. And so I mean, through it all, it sounds like she was someone that people really loved and enjoyed working with.
Speaker 2: So yeah, some Michelle Trackenberg gone at thirty nine. Also, this this is a big one. Gene Hackman died.
Speaker 3: This was shocking. I mean shocking. It's it's I mean, he was ninety five.
Speaker 2: Right, I feel like to some extent it was, at least for me. I'm not gonna speak for you, but it's like, well, once you're over ninety you're sort of like, well, this is a headline that's going to be coming at some point.
Speaker 3: But let me yes, I think what I mean is he is one of those people though he kind of disappeared from public life, so he's locked into my mind one years ago. Yeah, so like twenty some years ago, which is not too far from Royal ten and bombs or something, So in my mind he's still like that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, but.
Speaker 3: No, he's ninety five and that's a heck of a life. And but this, this one's kind of.
Speaker 2: Weird, right, we don't know the full extent the circumstances. We may not know for for a while.
Speaker 3: Well, because his wife was also found dead, the two of them, and then also one of their dogs, that's right. And at first it seemed like, oh, this this feels like if they were all dead in their home, maybe it's a carbon monoxide kind of situation. But then police were saying that now this is suspicious in quotes circumstances, and there's some story that they're going to have to try to dig into to see what happened.
Speaker 2: What what I read is there were open pill bottles that were found and they were in different rooms. Yes, it is a moving target in terms of the full extent of what happened, and that is that is it'll all, you know, come out and due time. However, ultimately we're talking about a legend, yes, truly, I mean, like one of the greatest actors of all time, one of the most indelible screen presences. And I love what Zach Stantz said on social media. He says, be so good at what you do that you can die more than a decade after you retirement at age ninety five, and it will still feel like an unspeakable.
Speaker 3: Loss, right right, yeah, right, And that's really like.
Speaker 2: There was no precedent or antecedent for Gene Hackman. He was one of a kind, right obviously for me, and I would assume for many people listening, maybe even you.
Speaker 3: The first time I saw him was Superman probably, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: And I remember even as a kid when I was able to read, I was like, oh, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Superman, Christopher I was like, so this guy is a big deal.
Speaker 3: That means right, credited before himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And and he was just a fact of movie going life, certainly for our childhoods.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. And then of course you know Unforgiven and yeah, Hoosiers all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can keep going the conversation French Connection one and to. But he was great in Runaway Jury, which was one of the last movies he did obviously mentioned Royal Tenenbaumbs. I mean, even like the the thing is he he whatever the movie was like like Superman four, nobody's gonna argue that's a good movie. M even Christopher Reeve looks like he's halfway out the door. Gen Hackman shows up man, He's he is not the bad part of that movie, right, right, he comes to play he right, And and you know, there's a there's a great story that Ben Stiller told about working with him on Royal Tannon Bombs where Stiller is like super intimidated working with him and he wants to talk to him about how much he loved him in the Posidon Adventure. And so the whole shoot. After several you know, weeks of knowing him whatever, feeling comfortable with him, he says, you know, Gene, I just want to say how much you know, I saw The Pasigon Adventure when I was a kid, and it's changed my life. It made me want to become a filmmaker and had such a big impact on me. And and Hackman goes, yeah, that was a money job. And then he gets up and walks away. I'm like, hey, he still showed up, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know what's funny is like I can imagine initially like maybe a little disappointment in that moment for Stiller, but then you're like, nah, man, that's Hackman. Like I just had a Hackman moment.
Speaker 2: You gotta well. And I love this quote. This was from Gene Hackman. He says, no matter what you feel about the project, be the best you can be because sometime somewhere someone we'll see it. It's great, isn't that something?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I read that quote, you know, as soon as this broke But that quote has been like living in my head for the last you know, thirty six hours, because I mean it's incredibly profound when you think about it. Yeah, And clearly, like you can draw a corollary with the pussign Adventure. Look, man, Ben Stillard didn't know. He just did that for the money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And then I mean, look at look at the impact he's had, you know, inspired by your work early on. That's right, by the way. I'm just looking at all his movies here, and I just have to call it Crimson Tide because fantast good lord him and Denzel squaring off in like tight, sweaty submarine quarters. I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeap, that one. And you and I we just watched Enemy of the State recently.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm hm.
Speaker 2: He's great, great in that obviously, the conversation. Even like Behind Enemy Lines, which is not a movie I'm crazy about, he showed up, you know. Yeah, he was memorable in it. And I distinctly I remember when he had stopped acting and he said something. It was a couple of years after Welcome to Mooseport, which is his last movie, just like, yeah, I've done acting, and I was like, oh, man, that's a bummer, just not being able to see him. But I remember thinking, also imagine having the centeredness of being a huge Hollywood star and just being like you know.
Speaker 3: What I'm done. Yeah, Like it's not like Hollywood walked away from him, right right, because the truth of it is, he could have kept acting as long as he wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like, you know, I'm good. I've had a career.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know what's cool is he wrote a couple of books also, so he found like a new you know, passion, hobby, whatever you want to call it. And I love that, Like maybe, yeah, he had done what he felt like he needed to do or all that he wanted to do when it came to acting, so then he found another thing to invest themself. And yeah, you don't only see that. Yeah, it's refreshing. You know.
Speaker 2: What are some of your you mentioned Crimson Tide, What are some of your other favorites?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I like Superman obviously was really big. I'm just like looking through his things. I'm actually they're the obvious ones, right, like, yeah, the conversation and stuff, but like I'm looking at the ones that I've kind of forgotten about, like the Firm, Oh sure, yeah, you know, or the Quick and the Dead. Of course he's so just so recently. Yeah, I mean he's a real sob in that movie. It's it's so good, and I'll admit there's ones in here I'm looking at that. I feel like I haven't seen that. I want to watch. I've never seen French Connection two. Kind of curious.
Speaker 2: I think I've said before. I'm like, it's it's more Popeye Doyle. It's not as good as the first one, but Shirting it's a it's a perfectly fine movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. Or Postcards from the Edge, I've never seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, I mean there's a lot, a lot of work here to dig through. Mississippi Burning, I think is a terrific movie. You know, I've never seen that. I recognized the poster as a VHS case.
Speaker 2: From my childhood, right, Yeah, Like, I mean, it's it's it's it's uh, Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe investigating, you know, hate crimes in Mississippi's Lex luthoran the Green Goblin teaming up. Yeah, that's right, that's a that's a very good one.
Speaker 3: He's in Monny. Yes, I don't know that movie. I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Bonnie and Clyde has kind of put him on the map, right, he's Clyde's brother.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's been a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, I would say, because that that's what really got the ball rolling for him, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bat twenty one, that's like a movie that used to be on like Fox thirty two on a Saturday. It's like bringing back memories classic.
Speaker 2: There's the.
Speaker 3: It was a movie with with Hugh Grant called Extreme he Measures. Yep, I'm looking at it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I've always liked that one too, you know, the bird Cage that's like a I've never seen that.
Speaker 3: That's a blind spot for me. I gotta watch that one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of a lot of a lot of very good movies. And Runaway Jury you talk about it's it's him and and Dustin Hoffman on opposite sides of a of a legal war. I'm like, come on, man, a chance to watch these two guys square off totally?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, So uh, That's kind of the great thing is you look at his filmography and more often than not, you've got some really good movies waiting for you.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So so a life well lived and a career that is enviable regardless of what industry when happens to be in you know, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Other news I thought this. This literally just happened as as we as we hopped on, Joseph Wamba passed away.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I wasn't familiar with him, but you started telling me about him in his career and how influential he was, and I'm excited to talk about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so uh, he's a he was an ex cop who he started out writing. He wrote for TV, he wrote for procedurals like Dragnet and whatnot. But what he started to do by virtue of his novels he wrote, he wrote a book called The New Centurions, which was kind of a real seminal work in terms of getting into the inner the inner turmoil of police, right, and that was in turn what led to the creation of shows like Police Story in the seventies, and that in turn led directly to your NPD Blues or or I mean, gosh even er, you know, to something like like Hill Street Blues NYPD, but like the idea of of police officers who are not just impervious and you know and Jack Webb, you know, and Dragnet, but they they are they have insecurities and everything else, and they grapple with the consequence of what they do. You know, the stuff that makes for great drama. And so again you get your Hill Street Blues, you get air M and IPD and seriously Er, which is not a cop show, but but it it takes that same approach, right, the inner turmoil of somebody who is in essence serving the public right And and you don't get the wire and any of this stuff, you know, without what Joseph Wamba did. You know, I have a whole unit in my media class where I talk about police procedurals and so Wamba, you know, has a pretty pretty big chunk of that history. You know, he gets he gets to claim that The New Centurions was was a movie and it started oh gosh, Georgia Scott. It starred Georgy Scott, and it's pretty great. It's based on his book.
Speaker 3: Yes, I say here in nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, that's we're worth watching, you know.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, yeah, amazing, isn't it Isn't that interesting? Sometimes it just takes one person to lock onto something. Yeah, and then that's just the thing that everything else takes its cues from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And it's it's I would think, I mean, you know, over the course of his career, with the course of his life spent, he saw the ups and downs of how policing was perceived, and you know, I mean that was something he always maintained. He kept one foot in by virtue of the writing that he did. He was writing up through the twenty tens.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, there's a whole series of books called called the Hollywood Station Series which which look at you know, local police versus you know, the federal the federal role in policing and stuff. Really interesting stuff and certainly a very distinctive point of view. And again we can get into things like copaganda and all that stuff, which is still very you know, those are heated conversations. But in terms of the drama that has emerged, you know, I I think that The Wire, which is a show that you absolutely adore, and YPD Blue people know how I feel about that. You know, these are these are beacons, you know, of good drama, and they wouldn't exist if not for for things that Joseph Wamba sort of shot shone a light on.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, so R I P R I P certainly, Yeah, Well I think I hear some music, Brian, So I think that means we have some Star Wars.
Speaker 3: News finally again, right. I mean it's uh, this used to be a reoccurring thing that we'd have every single week. It was a it was a regular feature. Yeah yeah, people people look.
Speaker 2: Forward to it.
Speaker 3: Families would gather around their iPhones. He's a sh here it comes here, right, And it's funny. I was picturing like one of those big stand up radios and kids running in with their dinner plates and lying on the ground.
Speaker 2: With their bowls of C three pos cereal.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they're hearing the Star Wars music. But they weren't like, oh, the continuing Adventures of Luke Skywalker. They're like no, no, Brian and Zachy are talking. Yeah, they have opinions. Yeah. Well it's you know, this is kind of appropriate that we're even talking about that specifically, because I feel like we started Star Wars News probably because of this sale yeh, from Lucas to Disney and bringing in Kathleen Kennedy right to oversee lucasfilm. And now this week we've learned that she will be stepping down maybe not what we don't know. Wait, I thought she was retiring.
Speaker 2: It's a moving target because she has said, she has said. She herself said I am not retiring.
Speaker 3: I should. It's so funny. The only reason I said retires because I had the article in front of me and I saw that word not retiring. Of course, because she said, yes, she's never going to retire from filmmaking. She said she's going to die making movies. But I thought she was thinking about bringing someone up into her role and she would then show them the ropes, train them, and then step down in the near future. Is that correct or is that well?
Speaker 2: So that's the that's the confusing aspect of all of this, because because essentially what we had was a situation where we're earlier this week as we record this, there's a guy from Puck News named Matt Baloney who apparently dropped some blogoney Brian yes, because he put a very breathless report.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: She's out of here. She's been shown the door. Don't let the door hit you. Where the Lord split you, That's what Bob Iger said, according to according to Boloney, yeah, so so, and then of course this really started making making the rounds everywhere. She's out the door, and you know, contextualizing this a little bit, you know, for the last several years, there are portions of the Internet, I'm gonna say the shittiest portions of the Internet which have been like Star Wars is woke because Kathleen Kennedy and show her the door and whatever. Right, so they were they were salivating over this news. However, according to Kathleen Kennedy, she's what she's saying is, look, at some point I need to think about, well, who's gonna take over. We need to have a succession plan in place. It doesn't mean I'm retiring anytime soon, I see now. According to her, she's like, look, there's no chaos or anything. This is just we're just you know, these are this is the stuff you do in a company.
Speaker 3: M m. Maybe that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know enough. Brian. I'm I'm I'm a naive bumpkin from from the Midwest.
Speaker 3: Well, it feels like a pretty consuming role. She's done it for over a decade. I you know, lucasfilm Star Wars whatever is not necessarily her her baby, right, so it makes sense she was raising George Lucas's baby kind of yeah, like bring it in, bringing it into a new era. And then uh, you know hand over the reins, and like she said, I mean she's a producer. She's been producing since freaking Raiders the Lost Arc, right, yeah, so I'm sure there's other worlds she wants to to shepherd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I don't, I don't. I mean, I don't know, and I I think there's the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, by the way, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't mean to sound naive. I mean yeah. I think the problem is that.
Speaker 2: Even if she was making some noise about, hey, we need to find a succession plan, I think that it's very important both for her and for Disney to not make it seem like the trolls claimed a scalp.
Speaker 3: Right, And I don't even know that they necessarily did. But I'm sure she's probably don't.
Speaker 2: Like it, but they don't. They don't want to give the perception.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, but I'm sure she's probably gained a few gray hairs and is like, all right, I did what I said I do, and I've accomplished some things here that I can be proud of, and you know, time to move on.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing, right, Like number one, she's done the job for what thirteen years now, And I say this all the time. I'm like, who the hell would want to do this job? I'd say, let's say she leaves tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody is going to be like not it. Yeah, you would think, right right, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Who it is. I don't care if it's Dave Feloni or John Favreau or George Lucas.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I mean you're just no matter what, you're walking in front of a firing squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So that that's kind of the issue.
Speaker 2: So in that sense, I think Disney would be like, look, stay as long as you want like that, that would be my guess. Like, I think, on balance, she has She's shepherded the franchise in a decent enough way, and not to say that it has been perfect, but I you know, just off the top of my head, I feel like there have been more more more successes than not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I mean, we're we're pretty honest about it. You know, there's things we've connected with, there's things we haven't. You know, if you really who knows how long in history lucasfilm is going to be a thing. But if you look at it, let's just say it. It'll lasts for oh wow, it probably has lasted for fifty years. I was gonna say fifty cause snl. But let's say one hundred years. Okay. If Lucas isn't gonna be there forever, and you look at as this long, long timeline, of course, you'd look at the Lucas years, and then you look at the whatever transition is next. Of course, there's going to be like a slight little dip because people have to what is your identity without George Lucas? What is lucasfilm without Lucas? Yeah, right, there's gonna be a transition period and then they're gonna figure out what works what doesn't. And then in the long span of its timeline, of course, it's probably gonna find some highs again, probably gonna find some lows again. And it's a experiment with other things, and that's just kind of the way it goes, you know, with something that's going to exist for this long you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm I'm contextualizing this with last week's news about Amazon taking over the James Bond franchise. Yeah, which, by the way, if anybody listening to this is interested in our thoughts on that. We did an in depth conversation for a good half hour on our Patreon feed, So if you want to hear our thoughts on that, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Zaki especially, he's got feelings because he's he's you know, he's big Bond fan. So I was, I was pretty interested to hear what you thought about it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's it's easy to sort of just be cynical about all of it, right, like it's just more corporate product, and and I I hesitate to do that because I'm like, well, these are still made by people, and I I think it's possible to have people making this this corporate product that's compelling and meaningful and whatever. Right, I mean, like, you know, the Marvel Universe is this big expansive thing, but like it like Kevin Figy is still the guy doing it m hm, and you know, he doesn't always get on base, but for the most part, he's he's kept that thing, you know that they're he's kept our interest, you know. Yeah, And and so I think it's possible to whether we're talking about Star Wars or James Bond, that to find people who care and want it to be you know, the best it can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I'm probably just gonna repeat exactly what you said, but like that was sort of where I landed with the whole Amazon Bond thing, because yes, I do feel a little cynical about it, where it just becomes something that used to be owned and curated by the people in the family, you know, in the families who created it, so they would rather make a good movie than have something that hits a certain timeline for a good quarterly profit. Right, And so now that it's owned by a company that wants to figure out how to make their streaming service profitable, you can be certain it's going to be exploited to some degree. The hope then, is that the people who are put in charge of the creative aspects of it really give a crap about James Bond. So it's like, all right, well, if the show's going to exist, let's make it the best darn show possible. Yeah. Right, So I guess both can be true. You can be a little cynical about it but also kind of hopeful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's a hard place to find yourself, because you know, it's just easier to be cynical.
Speaker 3: I think I'm feeling more cynical than I have in a long time because I'm getting that well with the Bond thing. But I was hearing about like dark, dark, stubbly Brian, Yes, yeah, this is a Spider Man three, Peter Parker, Brian. What does he say like under his breath? Like does he whisper something like cool? Oh yeah, yeah, I don't remember, and he's like snaps in a jazz trio place. But no, I think when I heard Goonies two was actually like in the process of being developed at least that was like what the straw that brokes Brian's.
Speaker 2: Back broke inside of you that day?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean look at not that it hasn't already happened. I mean you really think about it. I mean Top Gun two. If you had said that five years ago, you'd be like, stop, just top top two. It doesn't need to happen. It can't possibly be good. Like it's locked. It's locked in time in the eighties. It's an artifact. It can't be replicated. But they did it, you know, Maverick's pretty pretty darn good. But it also makes you realize, oh, well, then with that success, why wouldn't they do Goonies too. Why wouldn't they do? But I get a little weirder about Goonies because the thing is, what works about that movie is like eighties childhood magic, and you can't like they're grown up, they're different. It won't be the same. When you do a sequel, you inherently have to undo every happy ending you did in the previous movie because you need to give them drama. I don't want to see how the Goonies kids divorced and unhappy, you know, And then you've got that.
Speaker 2: Let me a spoiler, that will for sure be the case for at least half of.
Speaker 3: Them, right or yeah, yeah, or one will have spent all the treasure in his destitute now, you know. And then they're gonna have these kids. And then it's like, really, you're gonna really try to recreate Lightning in a bottle with this like kid cast that we're all gonna love. And it's just a really tall order. I'm not saying they can't do it, but it's a tall order. And it just made me. People have been saying this for a long time, and I've been trying to be Pollyanna about it, but it's just like nothing is sacred anymore. Nothing is like it's all there to be exploited and to make all these companies streaming services stay afloat.
Speaker 2: And then I'm sort of sorry, Brian. Yeah, I'm just fascinated by the fact that I'm kind of at a more sanguine place about all of this than you are, which is new terrain and from this show.
Speaker 3: You know what, though, I it's not like this is keeping me up at night or anything, but I'm sort of resigned to it. I guess it's.
Speaker 2: Like, see, I reached resignation like a while ago. I think that's kind of See.
Speaker 3: Then I will reach sanguine soon. I'm I'm in the sort of defeated. Well, that's just the way it is now, you know, and we're not gonna that's not entirely true, but there's not a lot of new things being created so we can have sequels down the line. We're just continuing to pummel and exploit everything that already exists and everything that's beloved that hasn't been exploited yet, like is now you know it's gonna happen. Back to the future, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so this is my thought right like like two thousand and you know, summer of twenty twelve. One thing you knew is that there's not going to be any Star Wars without George Lucas says So, there's not gonna be any James Bond without the Broccolis say so, And there's not gonna be any Back to the Future without the Bobs say so. Well, two of those bulwarks are now gone. So right now, right now, Back to the Future is a load bearing structure in my psyche.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't even want to have this pass my lips, but also e t.
Speaker 2: But see, I think ET what works in favor of that never being revisited is that the re release flop so spectacularly.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I don't know why this is such like an inside joke between the two of us, but it's so true. It is it is. I mean, there's that that that Onion article we cite all the time right where it's like hed toys forced on uninterested children. Yeah. Although my friend Michael Olson literally texted me last night as I was walking out of The Brutalist. He wrote me this nice long text about showing ET to his kids and talking about what he wasn't sure if it would work, and they're varying ages. Some of them are quite young, and it worked on all of them. He said. They all cried, oh sure, I mean my kids love eat Yeah, And he said his I think I think it was his youngest and he's like, you know, poppatrawl, these sorts of things. He said. He turned to his dad at the end of the movie and said, that was the best movie I've ever seen. Wow, look at that. So I was like, all right, all right, maybe they don't want the toys.
Speaker 2: C Brian in the corner like mister Miagi at the end of the Karate Kid.
Speaker 3: Right. You know what, though I've literally missed it up reading that I really did it, I don't know what it is that movie imprint printed on me in such a powerful way as a child that I just I'm really moved hearing that kids are still moved by et So absolutely that can be true, and the fact that they don't want little action figures of him can also be true.
Speaker 2: So no, but but but this is the thing. Look, I hate to say this, but if the Broccolis can sign over James Bond to me back to the future, the clock is ticking, if you'll pardon the pun.
Speaker 3: You know what, though, I thought I just saw an interview. Someone emailed it to me. I apologize. I don't remember who, but it was the karate kid thing, Cobra Kai. The creators of Cobra Kai said they have a pitch. Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the final episode kind of like nods at that. Oh really okay in a funny way, which like, look, you know that that whoever is in charge at Universal whenever it happens, would be chomping at bits to get right to get that. Yeah, yeah, back in theaters. And again, look, whether it happens or doesn't happen, it's at this point I'm like, I rule nothing out. Mm hmmm, because again, you know, two of the pillars have already fallen.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: At some point, and you just have to kind of find your zen place where you're just like, well, this is my version is still there, it's there forever, and this new one maybe it'll be good, maybe it won't. You know.
Speaker 3: I will say that has been a saving grace for me, is that I have reached that with cultural things where I yeah, I used to be disheartened by a movie like Crystal Skull or something like that. But now, nah, I guess maybe you have to experience those things and have some time past to realize that the thing you love continues. You will always continue to love that thing, it will always continue exists, and that can be the one you keep going back to. You don't have to go to this other stuff.
Speaker 2: I remember, I mean speaking of Karate Kid, I remember when the remake came out in twenty ten, Yeah, and folks, a lot of folks were upset about that. Yeah, And I was one of the few people who was like, it's actually not that bad.
Speaker 3: I remember that. I remember that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know, when it comes to the whole Star Wars of it all, it is like, to me, no matter who takes over, what you realize is it's like Simpson's Season twenty eight, and it's not. It's not season five. It can never be season five, and so you have to judge it for what it is and either like or dislike it as its own thing, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and these things are becoming like corporate, you know, like I don't know if this is a great comparison, but like, yeah, something like Star Wars is almost like McDonald's. You know, it's like it's an American institution now, right, And so it will continue on and for a minute, they might decide they can make milkshakes quicker using chemicals or you know, it might not taste quite the same. But then someone might go, no, no, we tried that and it doesn't feel right. And then you know, and then we'll start us an ice cream again. Who knows like it's it's not going anywhere. It's going to last for a long time, and we will see ups and downs because of that. I think you know what to deliver that is that is.
Speaker 2: The most hopeful and optimistic place that I think we can leave this episode at.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think it's worth mentioning one more thing which I didn't realize. Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that there is going to be well, I know, I know how this goes, but but you know what, I think it's worth saying. Sean Levy has a Star Wars movie coming up. Apparently that will be the next movie in production after Mandalorian and Grogu and apparently it's set to star Ryan Gosling, which that's interesting. We talked about that I yeah, yeah, I guess so, or maybe I didn't know that that had come from her directly, but yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's set. That's kind of its own thing. It's not a Saga movie. They've still got the ray whatever the hell that's gonna end up being happening. And then Simon Kinberg m hm. So you know this is like a Mangold all right, the Dawn of the Jedi. Think, well, there's you know, there's some interesting stuff in the pipeline. Let's see what happens. I guess.
Speaker 3: And you know what, though, with the Ray thing, I will say this favorably as I've just sort of compared you know, this stuff to like mass production and they've got to please a corporate overlord and whatever. They could very well have just been like, well, we haven't quite cracked it, but we told Disney we'd have a ray movie by twenty twenty five, so you know, get the cameras rolling. But they haven't. Yeah, you know, I hopefully they've you know, taken some lessons from certain things and been like.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll do it own trilogy of sequels. Wait, what like their own trilogy.
Speaker 3: Of see sure? Yeah, yeah, I mean it's like, all right, this isn't working, Like, well, then let's we we won't roll cameras till we find it. That's what I hope is happening over there. What a concept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a hopeful place to leave things.
Speaker 3: Actually, I have some unfortunate place, Zachy. God damn it, I'm just kidding. Uh yeah, I just I want to I want to be in my zen place.
Speaker 2: I don't want to live there for a little while.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 2: Uh well, hey, but let's let us know your thoughts on on the state of the Star Wars franchise. Should Kathleen Kennedy uh get get tossed out all uh jazz on fresh prints or you know, maybe uh the have have a little bit of time where where she where she co heads the studio with with somebody with with new ideas, different ideas. Maybe she can handle the you know, kind of like what DC has where James Gunn doing the creative end and Peter Saffern doing the money in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe maybe maybe something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think, you know, Jon Favreau would be smart to stay as far away from that job as possible.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I don't know if he wants to be like in a boardroom, you know, like I want to see him make more movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Now he directed the Mandalorian movie, right, I believe so yeah, Okay, Which again, it's weird how that's that's this summer? Right, isn't it that this year?
Speaker 3: Isn't it the next one? Oh? In twenty twenty six?
Speaker 2: Now didn't they finished shooting it like four years ago or something?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm just looking at an article on Kizmoto.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think, look, when it comes to Star Wars, I've said it all along, we need to increase the scarcity. So that's fine, take take as long as you need. But I think the movie is done shooting, so I do wonder why they're just kind of sitting on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know that's right, but maybe you do.
Speaker 2: If you have thoughts on the delay of the Mandalorian and grow Goo, you can email us at moviefilmpodcast at gmail.
Speaker 3: Dot com if you're Jon Favreau and you want to tell us why.
Speaker 2: If you want to just han below low, you know, let us know, And you can also hit like on our Facebook page, John Fabreau, which is Facebook dot com slash moviefilm podcast and you can message just there, Brian. We also have a Patreon page, Yes we do.
Speaker 3: If you head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and receive every episode in commentary moving forward, absolutely ad free. It's our way of offering the most satisfying experience of listening to the podcast possible with allout all the ad breaks, and your subscription will go a long way and helping to support us and help sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 2: There you go, And if you're looking for me online, you can find me on social media at Zachie's Corner. That's the Aki S Corner. You can also find my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle, also at the Rap and ign and Brian, what do you What do you have going on?
Speaker 3: As always, you can find episodes I've written, a Puppy Dog, Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: There you go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Holl. My name is Zachie Saw.
Speaker 3: This has been movie film three eleven.
Speaker 2: We'll catch you next time, folks.
Speaker 1: Thanks welcome friends with podcast podcasting time show Jack again Bryan. They're talking dot broby Moming Now podcast on b