Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews, The Lee Matthews Podcast More what You Hear Weekday Afternoon's on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Been a fan of his from some of the great rock and roll hits that he's cranked out, like Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Transistor, Sister Palisades Park, and many many others. Freddie Boom Boom Cannon is back and he's back with a Halloween record call Hey Spoolie, and he's joining us now. Freddie Boom Boom Cannon, Greetings, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, Lee, thank his nice to be here with you on the show. And I appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Been playing your music on the air for years and years and years. But I gotta start with the title of your new song. Sven GOOLEI just who is Sven Gooley?
Speaker 3: Seven? Gooley is a A He's the host of a TV show on Saturday nights for Place Horror Movies. And I watch his show because I like the old universal you know, Frankenstein, a Wolfman and all those movies, and that gave me the inspiration when I watched him to write this song called Hey Fengoli and I when I when I had a subject to write it, I said you know, don't see how god this goes? Well? I finished the song. I wrote it in July, cut it in now August, and it came you have it? Now what I did? We send it over to me TV in Chicago. That's why they he does this television show on Cable network. And they were they weren't nuts, they weren't crazy. They loved it so much. And that's now they're making the video. So I don't know who's in this video, but they got people calling up, you know, actors and singers and everybody wants to be on this video. And uh, what can I say? It's a Freddie Cannon rocker and a sing along. So I'm happy that all this is going on. And thanks to the IT guys like you helping helping me. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so so Ben Goolie, I guess it's kind of our local We have a local version of that. We had Count greg Or in Oklahoma City and then in Tulsa it was Gaylor Sartagne and Gary Busey's Doctor Mazippa Pampa zoidis UNCA Film Festival in Camp Meeting, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm sure that that's been going along for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's and but sveng Gooli still at it.
Speaker 3: He's still at it. Yeah, okay, it show is doing very well. Oh yeah, it's like his forty fifth anniversary. They're gonna debut this song, Hey, sveng Gooli probably Saturday night on next Saturday Night, and we'll see what happens. You know, they've got the videos gonna come and it's gonna be a big, big entourage of craziness on there. So he's pretty funny. So uh, it's gonna be good. And uh and I'm sure your listeners that listen to Uli, we'll get a kick out.
Speaker 2: Of it, and they get a kick out of you. Freddie Boom Boom Cannon. It's kind of a modern version of our own monster mash, just in time for Halloween. In preparation for the debuting of Hayes be Gooli later this month on Me TV. Let's talk about your career a little bit. You your music was always good, fun party music.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was happy that I did that kind of music, and you know, it came to me easy to sing. When I wrote Tallahassee Lassie, which is my first song in nineteen fifty nine. My mom and I wrote that together. My mom wrote a poem you know that that started all of this. And I put the melody to Tallahassee Lassie in this song, and that was a type of hell I was doing. I had a little band in Massachusetts. I've lived in Revere, Massachusetts, little bit and we used to do record hops for other stations around around Boston. So yeah, so we did the record hops and I would sing this song and it hadn't been recorded yet, and I would do a bunch of Chuck Berry records, and I would do Chuck Berry because to me, Chuck Berry is really the king of rock and roll. He's he he was, He was the greatest artist, and I worked with him so many times. But it was it was my my feeling was I could sing and rock with this kind of music and and I fit in. So that was that was great.
Speaker 2: One thing about Chuck Berry he was a very good businessman too. He took it seriously and he was not it was nobody's fool behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: That's true, You're right, he was and I saw, you know, I worked with him when he was in his uh and as young he is, and man. He would take the house down, that guy. And I learned a lot on for on stage, in front of in front of a crowd from him. Watching him taught me a lot. So you know that's that's what I'm saying. Oh yeah, he's he was.
Speaker 2: Great talking to Freddie Boom Boom Cannon. You know him from Tallahassee Lassie fame way down yonder in New Orleans Palisades Park and his newest out now is an ode to Spin Goolie, a cable TV horror movie host. It's called uh, it's called Hay Spin Gooley and we're gonna sample it in just a minute here on the on the drive, uh, getting back to Palisades Park. I'm always amused that that was written by Chuck Barris. What uh did? What was your interaction with him?
Speaker 3: I didn't know him, uh Lee At that time he was friends with the owner of Swan Records, and he he.
Speaker 2: Called I don't think anybody knew him at that time.
Speaker 3: Right, And he called up he called up on Records to talk to He knew Bernie Bennet, the owner, and he said, Bernie, I got a song I just wrote, you know, I said, can you tell me it was the phone number of Dilon. He wanted Dlon to sing this song, and Bernie Bennick told him, now, I don't have the phone number, but I got an honist named Freddie Cannon here. What kind of a song? Is it? A sass song? Up tempo? He said yeah, he said, well send it over. He send it over, and Bob Crewe, who did the Four Seasons Records, changed the title. The palis These Park and the rest is history. I mean the record the song became such a giant, monstrous record. I mean it was. It went crazy. I was everywhere, you know.
Speaker 2: And so did Chuck Barris later hosting The Gong Show. He was a big TV producer, and I did he play as well? I mean every now and then you'd see him playing on the Gong Show. But I didn't know if he was really playing. Do you know if he played.
Speaker 3: You mean the guitar? Yeah, yeah, I think he played a little bit. I'm not sure. I never heard you. Thank you questioned like that.
Speaker 2: That's unusual, Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had a good question there. I think he might have, but you know, I can't quote and say he did. Uh. He just see he likes real lyrics. He would like real lyrics enough. He had to write the melody, so I don't know how he did it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I could talk to you all day, but we've got to listen to your newest hits. It's called Hayes van Gholie. Freddy Boom Boom Cannon. Here we go, sixty five years after his Billboard top ten hit Tallahassee Lassie, just in time for the season. We thank you for joining us and for all the great music. Freddy Boom Boom Canon.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and Ihearts Media presentation