Speaker 1: So if he's got some good hands and feel, this is too good. It's not just the fact that least one, it's the way he's played the match. He has a candy bar and an RC coke.
Speaker 2: You are kidding me, Mark.
Speaker 1: And his unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Mike has caught some unbelievable energy to the court with the fans and then with his player as well, and with his personality. So it was very, very refreshing to play against an appoint like this, you know, who draws in the crowds and come with some great shop making.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he can play on grass.
Speaker 2: That's that's good, of course, it's the what you're talking about Willis podcast. You know that you've pressed the right buttons. I'm Dave ol but with me eighty P seventy nine career high ranking Marcus Willis.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's the real me, isn't it. I know, I know it's nice to get in the seventies. Had I lost that final, I'd have been eighty on the dot career high still, but doesn't sound the same as seventy nine.
Speaker 2: You won the Bergamo Challenger Final with Josh Paris. I want to come on to that a few years ago, you announced your retirement from tennis, You go to a building site, you tried coaching. Whatever. Would you have thought that we'd be talking November twenty twenty five, top eighty in the world.
Speaker 1: No, I would not, not me anyway, top eighty in the world. Maybe someone else.
Speaker 2: But do you ever stop to pinch yourself, stop to think about what's happening to you?
Speaker 1: I don't think I'd do it enough really, because it's I mean, now's a good time, but it's so so fast paced to tennis world that you kind of just focus on the next match, the next tournament, and then you don't really have time to take it all in. It's the better you get, the more intensitives as well, I suppose, But I know, I know what's happened is pretty pretty cool considering you know, where where I was at, and even my goals at the start of start of when I came back, was like, maybe I can get to maybe I can get to wimbledande once or you know, beat my career high of two o nine, get top two fifty, and you know, try and try and make it into wimbledand but it's it's, yeah, it's got more out of hand than that, I suppose.
Speaker 2: And done it not the easy way.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's not been easy.
Speaker 2: Well it's different, partners. You've done it at a different age to quite a lot of the players, and you've done it off the back of actually not competing at a high level for a little while after a gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I didn't do it that. I tend. I tend not to do things the easy way. But but no, yeah, I mean when I started, I and hit a professional ball for a good couple of years. Maybe, but yeah, I mean, and since that first match, I've obviously got a lot better. But yeah, I'm just I don't know. I can't say I improved overnight at any point. You just I guess I'm more accustomed to this level now. I've played some of the best players in the world the last year. And yeah, it's pretty cool, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, there we go atp seventy night, breaking news everyone, it's pretty cool to be in the top eighty in the world in tennis. All right, let's reflect on the Bergamot Challenger, mate, So you went there a bit of an iffy back, maybe not physically where you wanted to be. Third tournament in the same month with Josh Paris and you win it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean I turned up. I was in no pain again, but I hadn't hit a ball since Helsinki. So I went a little bit early, got a couple of days practicing, and by the time we finished our first round it was I woke up the next morning it was starting to feel sore again. Not as bad as it was, but you're definitely limiting somewhat. So I spent an awful lot of time with the physio last week, and an awful lot of time in restaurants as well.
Speaker 2: Well that's a given, hang on, because there is. I mean, success comes in natural talent and aptitude and resilience and being robust, but it also comes in the shape of red run for you. Yeah, horse horse, you ate horse?
Speaker 1: I ate horse? Yeah, sorry for all horse fans out there, but it's only UK and USA. I did, I did? I did you know? I did have a look after and UK and USA don't eat horse, but basically every other country does. So it was on the menu, shredded horse meeting a salad and I was like, you know what, it's like a starter. I was like, I'll give it a go. You know, I've tried rabbit, I tried frog's legs, I've tried you know, I'm up for trying things once and I ate that on the Monday and I won the tournament. But you know, here's the thing. I'm not going to go around searching for horse now.
Speaker 2: I was going to say he's superstitious. Now we're going to see around Newmarket at night or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Not in the UK us A, certainly not.
Speaker 2: What did it taste like?
Speaker 1: It was seasoned pretty well, it was really purple like the actual meat. I think it was marinade and something but chewy, quite sweet in a way. Okay, nice, nice like it. And funny thing is that I went to the toilet. Billy Harris was at dinner as well, Billy Harris and Josh, and he ordered a salad to start, and it looked like a salad. It looked like cabbage or beet tree or something shredded. And then he started chewing into it. I was waiting, obviously, I don't know what horse looks like. We'll never had it before he starts humming into it and after three or four goes, he goes, cool, this tastes quite meaty, and then I've clicked that's probably mine, then, isn't it, considering that doesn't really look like a side salad cabbagead. So he's humming into it and going, oh, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's meat either, position mate. Because I have accidentally had horse as well, I realized in Sicily on holiday and it was pre having Google translate. It's the first holiday I went on with my now wife and we went to a restaurant. The bloke didn't speak a word of English ignorant. First of all, surely you can understand me speaking English slower and louder, Come on, guys, right Anyway, he just said, you know, we basically got there in the end of he's just going to deliver a food, ate the steak, and then he made the clip clop sound.
Speaker 1: To us, Oh golly, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: You know what, what was that and he gave it the.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 1: Was like a restaurant kind of was it kind of like a steak looking thing? It was like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, printed.
Speaker 2: It was fine. It was fine. I mean, yeah, yeah yeah. And I'm not bothered either, you know, like, uh, I'm not bothered about eating a horse, do you know who do get You know some countries eat dog. Yeah, like in our East, dog is a thing. Now I wouldn't fancy eating dog. You know who get away with that? The Swiss? The Swiss eat dog, do they? Yeah? This is purely someone told me this years ago. I'm actually going to search it now. Hang on, this is this is.
Speaker 1: Podcast from that Veella.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, this is an AI overview. Right, so this is from a very reputable source called Google, who never get things wrong. Yes, there are reports of limited practice of dog meat consumption in Switzerland, primarily in rural areas, are traditional though rare practice. It's legal to eat your own dog or cat, though selling it is illegal. So Martina hingis federer Favrinka. What's their secret? Lassie dog?
Speaker 1: You can't sell it, sell a dog, but you can eat you can kill it and eat it.
Speaker 2: You can sell dog met maybe you can buy a live dog. It's often made into sausages and used to create a fatty remedy for rheumatism. Right, Okay, Well then horse horse meat was was great. It resulted. I mean, it's purely the reason that you went on a tiebreak and four in the final and Josh Paris is up to one oh eight in the world as well, top hundred booth look at that, imagine imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tried some to be fair, like everyone had a bit. It's one of those things you try because it's there and then we'll see, we'll see. But yeah, he's top hundred. I'm playing with him next year. I'm looking for someone for Australian Open to try and get into that or get close to into that, so he can be alternates. Other than that week, I'll play a play as much as I can with him, and we're doing some training together. The end you see in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, I'd like to pop down and hang out if I could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course you can anytime you've got to get a bit bored.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. And so what's the cutoff for the Aussie Open. I know we've spoken about it before, but you know, two players inside, one inside the top eighty one inside to top hundred, what's the how does that work? Well?
Speaker 1: They the deadline was two weeks before we played Berghemer So my ranking of eighty three will we used and Josh was one ten or one o eight or something like that, so we won't get in at that at two hundred. So I'm looking for someone to get me close to one sixty because that was the cut last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is a combined rank.
Speaker 1: Mind ranking, but we can't use our ranking as of now. We have to use it when the cutoff was done. I don't know why they changed, but I'm sure there's reasons. I just don't really care about them.
Speaker 2: But you're looking at one of the top seventy seven players in the world, top seventy six players in the.
Speaker 1: World, Yes, doubles, and that's quite difficult because guys seventy six are looking for guys sixty six. Because you know there's a good chance the cut might be one four five or one fifty this year, Yeah, because more singles guys might play, because you can never predict which singles players are going to play. No, and typically Australia it's the first one of the year, a few might go at it. Last year was a bit different. But you know, if you're one sixty, you've got a good chance of getting in as an alternate worst case. So that's what I'm aiming for. Got until the fourteenth of December to find someone. But yeah, I've decided I'm not going down the singles route as previously discussed. Now, some other players might and then the singles player might turn up and play, and that's that's very well, but it's a risk I'm not willing to take it.
Speaker 2: Well on this podcast, we'll hear about that first.
Speaker 1: Right, absolutely, Yeah, I will keep you updated.
Speaker 2: So let's talk just before we move on to any other business with tennis. Financially, Bergamo as the winners, because you know, we've spoken before about how tough it is in professional tennis, even for someone who's in the top eighty in the world. Financially, do you come out of Bergamo and you're sorted now like you've not? How does that work?
Speaker 1: No, the winners get seventy two hundred seven two hundred euros split, so that's yeah, thirty thirty six hundred euros, but then you lose thirty percent of that through through tax and then minus are stringing, which is about one hundred euros. I got four rackets done over the week, so I'm getting about twenty four hundred euros.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so that's two grand two thousand, two hundred pounds something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so minus the flights and food and stuff like that. It's still good. You're still in profit for the week, don't get me wrong, but it's not by the time your tax and everything's come off, and it's not that's not where you make your money. You make your money at the LAMB. It's like the US Open third round and UMAG final and you know, wimbled and queens stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so overall last week, you know, being crass about it, you take him. By the time the flights and little bits suspending here and there have done, you've you've went on thousand to fifteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Pounds exactly something like that, which is which is pretty much some people rent. No, it's it's not. It's not pretty. But this is why, this is why, you know, I'm always looking for sponsors and opportunities. And you know a lot of people understood that, but there was there was a little bit of you know, people didn't really understand because you're a ranking and people like, well, you must be what you need a sponsor for, you must be kind of well, yeah, if I was, if I was nineteen, I didn't have a family, and and you know, I'd living with parents or something like that. It might be a bit easier, but no, you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 1: You don't make money until you're regularly playing at the Slams and winning matches there. So I've had a good financial year, I think, my best ever, but you know that's not taking into account tax and the cost. And then I've had coaches with me some weeks, and but yeah, I've got I've got you know, a few few gem gem gem people angels. I don't know, angels is probably the wrong word, but I've got some some really nice people helping me out and we're we're we're taking along. It's not lovely, not it's not you know, it's not. Yeah, money, money is great, but it's not my first motivator. I want to play all the Slams. I want to do as well as I can, and of course I want to be comfortable, and of course I want to get on the market at some point, but that will all come. I can't worry about that anymore because I always did and everything's kind of worked out, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I think the one thing about the you know, why I bring up the money is because it is just so tough, you know, like you're it's It's it's all such on a knife edge of an injury, you know, a canceled flight, a tiebreak, lost in the second round, and all of a sudden things aren't so bright.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I feel like atp W t A they're kind of conning people where they put in the prize money. You know, So looking at the page, your page here is four hundred thousand dollars of prize money. Somebody looks at that and they have a little you know, they just do that fag packet maths on it and they go four hundred thousand. Wow, you must have live in a nice house for that. You've got no mortgage if you bought a half of that, And it's just such a myth. Yeah. And you know, you look at other sporting careers and the prize money so much more evenly split. There's players in the second division in football, in the Championship who were on forty sixty eighty thousand a week. There was a Championship football or a few years ago on over one hundred grand a week. Really yeah yeah, Mitro Pitch at Fulham really yeah wow. And you look at you know, and that Newcastle team that went down with Joey Barton and those guys. They none of them had relegation wage clauses, so that's why they all hung around in the championship for a year. But that, you know, you look at that, and then you look at other sports, you know, especially the American sports or golf, and the prize money splits more even and it makes it easier to be a pro. And I just think tennis needs to learn some big lessons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, I think the PTPA are in a legal case with the ATP at the moment WTA, and are just highlighting some of the yeah, trying to change it, trying to make it better. Just prize money is just one thing that the schedule is another one, which I'm kind of I'm kind of, you know, in two minds about I don't, yeah, the schedule. I don't like the fact that there's mandatory events because you know, I know one player that's turned up injured and played and it just makes things worse in order not to lose money. The prize money is, it's bad. They share. They share eighteen or nineteen percent of profits with players. Yeah, we're Premier League are fifty or sixty and all the.
Speaker 2: Big sports, i'd say, yeah, maybe eighty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's just it's just something that Yeah, and the Slams are less. You get paid more at the Slams, but you get less of the share apparently. Yeah, yeah, but it's a big payday. Look, it's not you know, you'd think at top hundred in the world, that's something, Yeah, you would own a house or or you know, at least be a lot more more comfortable. But you know, you're top ten of the world at doubles and you're a lot it's a different story. But I feel like the ranking places shouldn't shouldn't jump that much. Yeah, you know, right terms of ten places that you're owning significantly less, you know, ten to twenty, twenty to thirty, thirty, forty. It's it's it doesn't seem right. But you know, we know the deal. We turn out, we play, so hopefully it changes, but not really in my control.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's talk about things that aren't linked with money necessarily. But the Davis Cup. So Italy win the Davis Cup. Yeah, there's prize money of a couple of million, and let's all share that shed between the team. Do you care about the Davis Cup.
Speaker 1: Not so much now. Like I watched the British guys because you know, I know them and I want them to do well. But when they change the format, I lost a lot of interest. If I'm all in all honesty, it's it's kind of the fact you only need two tennis players to be crown best in the world seems a bit wrong to me as well.
Speaker 2: I mean I used to love it twenty plus years ago. You know, when you when you're a kid and you're getting into the tennis or whatever. As a young adult, I used to love the Davis Cup. I thought it looked different, it sounded different. I used to love Artisa. It was always you know, Tim and Greg. You were involved in a squad, weren't you with John Lloyd?
Speaker 1: Yeah they have two thousand and six or two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was great home and away tie. So you get you get drawn away in South America and they put you an altitude because their players are used to it, and and it was a very difficult fixture. Yeah, and it's best to five and you have the you know, the reverse single. So the middle day doubles really mattered, and you know, you need you needed four players, at least three players sometimes to to you know, win that rubber. Now it's kind of you have two good singles players and there's no doubles and it's best of three, and it's it's just more tennis, more of the same players, more of the same tennis. But you do get some like I mean Berg's Chibali had had a fantastic match seventeen fifteen the third tiebreak, and you still get players, you know, playing above and beyond their normal level for their country and vice versa. So it's still you know, I still follow it, and there's still some some very good matches. It's just very very quick for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me, I'm going to make you the star of the Davis Cup for one day or fewer, whichever you prefer. I think Davis Cup this is what I would do. I would copy football. I would make it a qualification process through groups, and I would copy football and have the leagues of four where they play fast four singles matches, fast four doubles matches in the group phase. They go five set knockouts from the round after the group so call the finals on well, last sixty called the finals onwards and it's all done on a purpose built island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 1: Uh. I like it. It's better than what's that rather than.
Speaker 2: And I'd have the women in it as well. Right, it's not just the men. I think there's fed Cold Billy, Jean King Cup whatever, there's that as well running concurrently. Maybe there's some mixed but basically less is more. Go pick that apart dragon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only thing I'd be hesitant as a fast four. But if there's a lot of tennis going on, they need that, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other one is, you know in football World Cups, you get the nations there that aren't traditional football nations, but because of the way football works, they can camp out in their box and keep score lines quite respectable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like.
Speaker 2: They might even nick a break, right, so you get New Zealand qualifying or something like that. Yea, and they might nick a one or Senegal had a great World Cup, didn't they. And so the reason for the fast four is we just don't want to see Italy against Zimbabwe. Love and love got yeah, yeah in the fast four is some deaf juice you might then, you know, it might might have like before two, four one great and then But essentially like the Football World Cup, like the Champions League, it's all geared towards getting the big is, playing the big matches in five sets in the lads of stages and having a bit of a festival of tennis at the start.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with home and away in the group stage that I.
Speaker 2: Like a home and away? As soon as you said it, I thought, yeah, I like the home and away.
Speaker 1: Because it's I mean, the atmosphere at these Davis Cup ties.
Speaker 4: Used to just be yeah partisan, yeah, remember when Britain beat Belgium away in that final, yeah, lob yeah, but just the atmosphere that the bands everything, and you still get that in small amounts now, but I find it at one one place.
Speaker 1: For the finals a bit. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't follow it. I actually follow the qualifying more because it's home and away ties and you know, we're away Japan last time Britain were and they didn't get the win. But you know now they're away in Norway and it's like all Casper Ruby playing what surface are they going to play on? And and it's more interesting to me and of course there's the mess of where does it fit in?
Speaker 2: Then you've got the labor carp and yeah, I mean it's a tough one because they're scheduling stuff and whatever. But I just essentially copy the Football World Cup. Yeah, the Football World Cups not the best football. I don't think the Davis Cup is going to be or the Fed Cup is going to be the best tennis. There's something different. And where the Football World Cup is great is that group stage. And it's only every four years.
Speaker 1: I just I'd like to see more players involved as well, like your top four singles players and your top maybe.
Speaker 2: It's more every four years. You can you can get sponsors in for that and absolutely stack of cash. Let's be honest. Money talks, right, because these guys, you know, the their schedules really tight and their bodies are really tired. But if shake Bin Howie Mohammad gives them seven and a half million dollars, they'll play. So you know there's something to be said for that. If you do it every four years, surely you could save up the money and spend it wisely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'd watch it, especially every four years. And you've got yeah, you've got a bit of depth, a few more players, four singles, four doubles. Like you know how County Cups runs, the winter singles just gone you place, you play six singles and three doubles and it's best of nine. It's a long day. And I'm not saying do that, but it's more depth. Imagine if County Cup was just your top two players. Yeah, I know, yeah, and you go, oh, they're an amazing county. They are. They've only got three guys that play tennis, but two of them are amazing. It's well, no, I don't. I don't like the fact that's it's you can beat a country by just getting two points. Yeah, by by winning four sets of tennis, you're better country than them. It doesn't doesn't add up to me, really, But I don't know. It can't be that easy. But you know, i'd love to say proper team event when you've got you know, your number four or fifth player battling out with their fifth player and the number ones are getting involved in getting pumped up. That's what it was County Cup. You know, I'm playing one and you're cheering the sixers and fives on and going in between sets and coaching them, and you know it was a real team event.
Speaker 2: I'm right in saying they've made changes to County Cup though.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they've got rid of the winter singers.
Speaker 2: They've got rid of the winter they.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think one of the ways to open up tennis and to gain participation and interest in it is to have less. Just cancel it. Yeah, I like that. That three in the morning. I imagine as three in the morning decision with an astray overflowing with cigarette butts. Yeah, it's just right. Just can it do less? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do less? It is. It's difficult for me because I'm in a very different position and obviously, you know I did my ankle a few years ago when I just came back at Winter Singles after four games, and it put me out for seven eight weeks. But you know, I've been very careful about playing county events since, saying because my career comes first. But when I was young, I was fourteen, fifteen, you know county tennis with everything. Yeah, yeah, selectors play for your county. You're playing, you're playing at two against Chris Lewis or whatever, or just really good player. I went to Hull and won about ten games in three matches once. It was just great, made me you realize and made me think and made me feel nerves and and I don't know, I don't know. I love team environments and I feel like the bigger the team than whether it is. You know, when teams win the World Cup, there's twenty four people running on the pitch plus teams plus it's nice to see, isn't it, Yeah, rather than two or three people going yeah, but no, yeah, it's a shame bag County cap I don't know. I don't know the ins and out. I think it's to save money. I think it costs the else a lot. But you know, I'm sure people will say, well, why don't they redistribute money somewhere else and keep it alive? But I don't know there'll be a reason they've done it. I know there's people signing petitions to stop it happening. And I think County tennis is incredibly important for a pathway if you want to be a player. I don't know many. I don't know many top players who haven't used County as a good springboard for sure.
Speaker 2: And look still now I'm in Surrey now and Mark Whitehouse is the captain of Surrey, who's partnered you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to play with him this this week, but I pulled out after my quarters last week of this week because yeah, after the final, I spent two hours at the physio and a lot of pain. I don't think I'd have been able to be much used this week. But I was going to play with him this week as well.
Speaker 2: And we both know Mark. He's a great guy. And yeah, that's just an indication, isn't it of the quality there? But go next, yek be ready for a football season or something this time of year. Exactly, pencil more tennis, exactly good decisions.
Speaker 1: I'd say cancel more tennis anyway.
Speaker 2: Just a quick one. Toby Samuel beats j clark in a challenger, so Toby won the Progress Tour. Here Barry Forlcher's Progress and you can listen to Barry talking about competitive opportunities for younger British players on a previous podcast we did. He's at four one eight in the world and he beat Jake Clarker. You know, well, it's great and't it singles get your first challenger win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't know what that feels like, but I never won a Challenger. No, it's great to see them both in the final. It's good to see Jay stepping up playing good tennis injury free again. Yeah, Toby, Toby, I think he's missed. I bet it's a n s due to injury the last last year or so. But having seen him player a couple of times, big, big game. Yeah, good player, just just good player. And and I mean the battlef of these guys is being able to play twenty five thirty weeks of the year injury free, because I mean, he's good enough. They're all good Enough's good enough, Toby's good enough. Now it's about saying pro finally, it's keeping the keeping the body fresh. If you can play thirty weeks a year, then you've got a good chance of getting your ranking right up there. But yeah, I'm not I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby Samy at Wimbledon as well next year or the year after. I just wouldn't be surprised at all. He's a very good player, certainly is.
Speaker 2: And there's other Brits kind of doing it as well, some girls in the doubles, Louis max Stead. In the futures. There was actually a trio of British wins at the twenty five k levels and it's you know, like that your eighth in the country, in the top eighty in the world in doubles, like the straight and depth is He's really there, isn't it. It's quiet.
Speaker 1: I'm seventh now seventh. Yeah, I'm going to correct you on that because you know, seventy nine to seventh. It's a big deal difference between seventh and eighth.
Speaker 2: It is a big deal. Man.
Speaker 1: You know, if we get the tone of man Davis Cup, I might get in.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm going to leave it there. I'm going to start building the island in the Pacific.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, I'll see that. I'll bring some bricks because I've got some experience of an icer. Well done, mate, Top eighty in the world, top eighty in the world. It's pretty cool.