Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM sixty on demand.
Speaker 2: It's always a pleasure and honor spending time with you. Special coverage today of the ongoing protests and then the response, and now National Guard is on the ground. So we'll be turning with our reporter Michael Monks, who's kind of bouncing between downtown and the detention center in Alameda Street. So we'll check with Michael Monks here very shortly as we continue here for the next couple of hours. More protests are scheduled today, and I think sometimes we tend to conflate the word protest with riot. There are more protests scheduled today at two o'clock. Now will those turn violent? Will they turn unruly? That remains to be seen. Protesting still allowed, unruly violence not allowed. The governor has said that he's that the bringing on of the National Guard, the militarization of the police, is going to escalate things that is inflaming and already tense SITUATIONUA. The President had remarked in the past that he wished he had responded more forcefully in his first term when the Black Lives Matter protests erupted, and he said the next time around he's not going to wait. This seems to be that example of the next time around, the first time that the president has called for the National Guard without consultation from a governor since I believe Alabama nineteen sixty five when they were trying to get kids into desegregated schools. So it is an historical a time that we're saying, we haven't seen this in sixty years that a president has acted outside of a consultation with a governor to deploy the National Guard.
Speaker 3: But that is what we're seeing.
Speaker 2: The President said he's going to send two thousand National Guards men and women. The governor says it's only about three hundred that are here right now. We do have an update that White House borders are Tom Holman was talking with NBC News Jacob sober Off and said that the raids are going to continue in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: They're not going to be deterred.
Speaker 2: Demonstrations and clashes with law enforcement are not going to stop ice efforts.
Speaker 3: When asked what was.
Speaker 2: Different as a National Guard has never been deployed in that capacity by the president, Holman said that I'm going violent rhetoric could lead to a loss of life. This from ABC seven. Here's what Homan said. The protesters are purpose excuse me, purposely trying to overwhelm law enforcement. President Trump's bringing in the National Guard again. I want to be clear, not just to protect the law enforcement officers, to protect this community because people are going to get in. I'm telling you, the rhetoric is so high against ice officers in this city. It's a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt.
Speaker 3: He continued.
Speaker 2: If this rhetoric continues, this violence continue, someone's going to lose their life. It's an anti Trump agenda and anti ICE agenda, and they're going to keep coming. But we got help coming and we're going to do our job, continue doing that job. He went on to then say that there could be charges not just against the demonstrators, protesters, people turning violent, but actually against elected officials. Governor Gavin Newsom and Mayor Karen Bass could face federal charges if their response to ICE raids exceed legal boundaries. He says, I'll say it about anybody, if you cross that line. It's a felony to knowingly harbor and conceal an illegal alien. It's a felony to impede law enforcement from doing their job. When asked if Bass was crossing the line, he said, if she crosses that line, we'll ask the DOJ to prosecute. Do I think she's crossing I don't think she's crossed the line yet, but I'm telling you the warning we're signing, Yes, the warning we're signing is we're not going to tolerate people attacking our officers. Holman had suggested that the Attorney General, Pam Bondi, was considering charges against officials who supported the protests. When asked, he said, I think Pambondi the Department of Justice is looking at that. And you know, like I said, many times, he's elected officials or these non government organizations.
Speaker 3: They can't cross the line either.
Speaker 2: I mean, we got people like you know, Hakim Jeffrey is saying he's going to doc's ice employees.
Speaker 3: So I guess we're looking at arresting anybody who disagrees.
Speaker 2: There's a big difference between protesting, disagreeing, vehemently disagreeing, and even that dirty word rhetoric just means talk and taking malicious action. And one of the things that I think we're starting to witness here, and we see this in most authoritarian type regimes is that if you're not with us, you're against us.
Speaker 3: In other words, if you're.
Speaker 2: Protesting the crackdown on illegal immigration, which is which is a quite visible crackdown. The numbers are not exorbitant, the numbers aren't crazy. The numbers are in line with what we've seen with previous presidents. But what we're seeing is a very public display of might. So we've got ice that's going out, we want to make sure there's cameras on them.
Speaker 3: We've got the.
Speaker 2: Homeland Security Secretary who's gonna go out and she's gonna put on her bullet proof vest and she's going to go out there and accompany these officers and make sure there's cameras on them. And then we're seeing crackdowns on people who are by no means a threat to their communities. We're seeing crackdowns on people that have been members of the community for years. We're seeing crackdowns on kids nine year olds, and they're all very visible. And this is a bit of signaling to the base that the president is doing what he promised. He is getting rid of anyone who is here without documents, and those documents are the most important things. And so when people stand up and they say, how dare you? And we've seen this in red states too. There was a story that was being covered with a woman who was running a cafe in Kentucky where eighty percent voted for Trump, and Ice came in and arrested her. She'd been there for decades, and the people said, wait a minute, well that's we liked her.
Speaker 3: We didn't know what it was going to be about that.
Speaker 2: We thought it was just we thought it was people in California, right, And there's no there doesn't seem to be any differentiation because for the longest time during the campaign, he heard from the president and actually you heard from Elon Musk back when they were still buddies, that the goal was to get rid of the worst, right, the gang bangers, the drug dealers, the rapists, the murderers. But it turns out we're actually targeting the some people I suppose are probably good people. Part of his his equation, it's easier to grab somebody who's a law abiding citizen. We're seeing this at a number of immigration court hearings across the country, where you've got the person who's here is showing up for their status hearing they're showing up and then ICE pops in. The prosecutors dismissed the case so that there's no reason to hold them any longer. Ice shows up and arrest them of the parking lot, sin it all over the place, and of course this ends up erupting into the protests that we saw, you know, over the weekend, and then obviously as things started to get ugly last night, they turned very destructive.
Speaker 3: KTLA was covering some of what was happening.
Speaker 4: Chaos and calamity rocked Paramount Saturday, on the second day of demonstrations against federal immigration operations in southern California. KTLA was on the ground and in the air, capturing the explosive environment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the shots you're hearing are rubber bullets that they're using, the mayor of Paramount says.
Speaker 4: Tension escalated after US Immigration and Customs Enforcement or ICE, and other federal agents were apparently staging at or near a local home depot center, but.
Speaker 5: I here in the community.
Speaker 4: Throngs of protesters gathered in the industrial area, sparking more clashes between law enforcement and members of the community. Crowds taunted authorities, with some people going so far as to block a US Marshal's service bus, while others hurled rocks and other objects at law enforcement vehicles. According to the La County Sheriff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean we saw the videos. It's not even a According to the sheriff, our eyes don't deceive us. We saw people throwing rocks at the vehicles.
Speaker 4: Federal agents responded with pepperballs, rubber bullets, tear gas, and flash bangs in the.
Speaker 3: Last several hours. I mean, that's like warzone, right, war zone. So unfortunately the crowd.
Speaker 2: Has Honestly, if it weren't for the clothes that people are wearing, and I'm serious right now, if it weren't for the clothes that people were wearing, if you saw this footage, would you know the difference between this and say Gaza or the streets of Kiev. No, No, I mean you'd see, you'd see a military presence, you'd see people throwing rocks, and you'd see the military using a heavy handed response. I mean, we are, we are seeing a certain portion of civilization unraveling, and the problem. The problem is both sides are fighting over how to be more civilized. One side says we need to be more authoritariative, more authoritative, and if we just take control then people will be free. Nothing's just freedom like control. Then you've got the other side that's saying, how dare you be so heavy handed? We are going to fight you with violence because nothing says civil like violence, and nothing says leave us alone, like come and get us. You're not dealing with the you know, dealing with a whole lot of people that are thinking through things, are you? The crowd has grown, we believe at this time it's at approximately three hundred and fifty, maybe four hundred.
Speaker 3: As the crowd has grown, it has become more violent.
Speaker 4: A wooden palette and then a car went up in flames during the unrest, sending black smoke into the air.
Speaker 3: And why are you lighting cars on fire? What the hell sense does that? Bank?
Speaker 2: Ah, we're protesting, only are you then? I mean you look like you're celebrating a Dodgers World series. Stop lighting cars on fire? What is the matter with you? Not a lot of thinking through by anybody here. The strategy by law.
Speaker 3: Enforcement is to crush opposition.
Speaker 2: And even Tom Holman, the the borders are said, we're gonna get them. They're anti Trump literally says, they're anti Trump. So is this about Trump? Is this about undocumented immigrants? Is this about getting the rapists, the murderers, the drug dealers? Trendea Ragua I always mispronounced that.
Speaker 3: What is this about? He says.
Speaker 2: If the violence continues, if the rhetoric continues, someone's going to lose their life. It's an anti Trump agenda.
Speaker 6: U H.
Speaker 3: So is that what this is about? It's all political?
Speaker 2: Is it about safety or is it about the anti Trump agenda. We'll talk with Michael Monks, who is live and in the midst of where we assume there's gonna be some more protests this afternoon. Those are supposed to start at two o'clock. Will they turn unruly? Hard to say. Will the presence of the National Guard there make things safer? Or will that inflame the already burning embers of what we saw happen yesterday.
Speaker 3: We'll find out from Michael Monks. Next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: More protests was scheduled for two o'clock exceptternoon downtown our own Michael Monks is all over and actually Michael's been working since early this morning and he's gonna be working throughout the day to make sure that you have the latest the raids. Yesterday the ice raids turned destructive because you had ice raids and then you had protesters.
Speaker 3: You had a staging area.
Speaker 2: In Paramount where people got word, hey, there's a staging area going on here, and then they started protesting and it turned ugly, which, if I'm being honest, is kind of what I think some people wanted to see. They wanted an excuse to come in with the heavy hand. They wanted to be able to send in the military and say, look how strong, look how mighty we are, and this administration and is not going to allow the criminal element to run wild in our streets any longer.
Speaker 3: And then they made it political.
Speaker 2: Too, the presidents of these Democrat run cities. Democratic run cities, but that's right, Democrat run cities, he said, are the problem, which means that if you don't have documents, go to Orange County, because that's not they're not focusing They're not focusing on Republican areas. So just if you don't have documents, just grab the fam head to Orange County. You're gonna be safe there. I mean, that's not true, but probably safer.
Speaker 7: We're seeing new video shows from maybe seven showing the chaotic moments protesters and federal agents clashed across Los Angeles.
Speaker 8: It marked the second day in a row of unrest as ice rates continue. Explosive flash bangs and clouds of tear gas filled downtown LA. Last night, is police declared an unlawful assembly. There also appears to be some looting at a cannon store and Compton lapd sais Why are you looting?
Speaker 3: They?
Speaker 9: Ah?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: I really support people who are here fighting for their lives.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna support him even better with these peanut m and ms.
Speaker 2: But Michael Monks is KFI reporter who has been covering this. Michael, I know you've been working since early this morning and all this stuff, So thank you so much for taking time and then doing it at this special coverage broadcast that we have going on today.
Speaker 3: Where are you now and what's the latest that you're hearing.
Speaker 5: I'm on Alameda Street outside the Federal Building, and I'll tell you there's a lot of spray paint on the wall, there's a lot of noise, and you know, you might think this is just a usual day in downtown Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't be wrong.
Speaker 5: The difference this time is that there are military guys here, uniformed military personnel with very large guns, with large sticks, and they are lined up facing off with about one hundred hundred and fifty protesters right now. It's what you might describe as team a little bit of chirpiness, a little bit of barking and jawing back and forth, some birds being flipped.
Speaker 3: That sort of thing to have no sort of action. But there are.
Speaker 5: Military vehicles parked here, DHS police are here outside this federal building right now. A lot of honking on the street, honking and support, a lot of chance. But so far it's just kind of a stare down.
Speaker 3: Does it feel tense with this starenup?
Speaker 5: No, You've got a couple of rabble rousers in the crowd that are trying to get a little more action going. Whether or not that's going to be effective is yet to be seen. It's been interesting over the past few days because it's daytime right now, and it has been in the daytime where most of the violent activity has taken place. It seems at nighttime it looks more like this a little chippiness, a little bit of violence, not much, but mostly just staring down until finally it evaporates. But it has been in the daytime where most of the activity has taken place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seems a little bit odd to me.
Speaker 2: Usually, you know, your protesters, your genuine protesters, will head home and then you've got the rabble rousers out a little bit later at night.
Speaker 3: Doesn't seem to necessarily be the case this time around them, No, not at all.
Speaker 5: And you know, this has drawn a pretty sizable crowd. There's also apparently some demonstrations according to the laped outside their Central Division office as well as on Olvera Street. I've not made it over to either of those locations yet. This seems to be ground zero for these protests for the past few days.
Speaker 3: It's believed that some.
Speaker 5: Of the people who have been detained by ice may be housed inside this building. And it is absolutely covered in profanity and a variety of different messages that have been spray painted here over the past forty eight seventy two hours. And there looks like there's some folks who may be anxious to get back.
Speaker 3: To that type of work. But with the military here, the vibe is a little different.
Speaker 2: So what's the involvement of the LAPD right now? I mean this is this is in their backyard. So are they showing up or are they leaving everything to the National Guard or to the federal enforcement.
Speaker 5: Well, this looks like a jurisdictional situation. This is fout property. So there is Department of Homeland Security police. They are uniformed and they are wearing their heavy gear as well. They've got their mask on, they've got their weapons at they're ready, and they are also surrounded by what is believed to be California National Guardsmen who have been deployed here at a few different sites around LA. So this is not the LAPD's jurisdiction. Should it spill out into the streets, should we start to see that type of activity take place like we've seen the past couple of days, that's where you'll start to see LAPD.
Speaker 3: Need to answer the call.
Speaker 5: And that's also where we've seen conflicting reports from local officials and national officials about the speed and urgency with which LAPD has responded. Because LAPD has a policy they have since the seventies they don't assist in immigration enforcement efforts.
Speaker 3: But they are supposed to keep the peace otherwise.
Speaker 5: So whether or not they've done it on a time frame that has been acceptable, that's what's been debated.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Michael Monks is downtown, he's said, near the while we I think it's the detention center. It's the federal building off Alameda, and Michael, the vibe right now is chill. Have you been able to talk with any of the protesters? I just wonder what goes through their minds on a day like this when they know they're going to go protest, They know they're going to face somebody who's holding a big gun, probably a helmet, and has been told stands still, don't react unless you know you have to whatever. So I mean, how does one this is gonna sound silly, but I mean it. How does one just go about their normal day as they prepare for something like this. Have you been able to talk with any of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think this is what we've heard from folks is they're angry or they're scared, and like many protests, this is something that gives you the opportunity to let it out a little bit, even if nothing is going to change today. You got the shout, you got to point you let some anger out. The challenge will be whether people who came down to protest in a First Amendment way, in a peaceful way, even if they're a little loud, even if they're a little profane, are they going to get swept up in people that see this as an opportunity to misbehave. Even if these other folks don't support the calls at hand, they just want to engage in mischief. That's that's got to be some of their concerns as well. Yeah, I think that's what we see so often with these protests that get out of hand, is you have you have the the truble.
Speaker 3: Looting? I mean, why is anybody looting? Doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: It never does whenever we see any of these protests, whether it was Black Lives Matter, whether it's this, whether it's Rodney King, Why are we stealing things? It just just there's no there's no logic to it other than crimes of opportunity. Protesters have a very fine line that they have to walk in order to garner sympathy from people that otherwise haven't.
Speaker 3: Been paying attention.
Speaker 5: And you know, you cross that fine line in the wrong direction, you're gonna lose folks forever.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely all right, Michael Muggs at the detention center.
Speaker 3: We'll check with you a little bit later on here too.
Speaker 2: Michael, thank you so much for for the ongoing coverage and putting yourself there.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking, if you're if you're somebody who is who's big into this cause, and you're getting ready and you're going to protest, and you know it's going to be a big day, and you know that things could potentially turn.
Speaker 3: Violent, you don't know. You hope they don't.
Speaker 2: Some do, but you know, I'm just the average Joe Schmo. I'm just thinking, I mean, what do you have for breakfast? It sounds facetious, but it's not think about when you get up, Like you go to sleep after whatever happened yesterday, and you're probably all wound up. You probably don't sleep very well. Then you wake up and you go, okay, I mean, I'm going to go back downtown, so do you. But I gotta take a shower, walk the dog, have some oatmeal.
Speaker 3: The whole time.
Speaker 2: It's got to be this weird, almost purgatory feel before you're about to get back into what has the potential to be a very volatile situation. At the very least, your plans are I'm just going to scream and I'm gonna let my frustrations out, as Michael said, yep, But does.
Speaker 3: It does it get worse? Does it boil over?
Speaker 2: And if it does boil over, maybe they don't even know where they plan on landing if things start to get violent.
Speaker 3: Tough to say.
Speaker 2: I talked about some of the rubber bullets. You're going to hear about these rubber bullets in just a few moments. As the protests are scheduled to begin again today. As you hear Michael Monks say, about one hundred people already at the federal building off Alameda, and there are more planning on showing up a little bit later on this afternoon.
Speaker 3: More on that next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: First time a president has called for National Guard deployment without consultation of the local governor since nineteen sixty five. So a big deal that's going on, and the National Guard has arrived.
Speaker 3: They are on the scene.
Speaker 7: We're seeing new video showing the chaotic moments protesters and federal agents clashed across Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: From maybec seven plus.
Speaker 8: It marked the second day in a row of unread as ice rates continue. Explosive flash bangs and clouds of tear gas filled downtown LA.
Speaker 3: Last night. Is police declared an unlawful assembly.
Speaker 8: There also appears to be some looting at a convenience store in Compton.
Speaker 2: Lapd says, yeah, I made mention of this in the last eightment. What it sense. It doesn't make any sense to go looting. But listen, if you are someone who is you gotta go to the convenience store. Do you want to pick up your rock Star energy and maybe a bag of Doritos? Just be cautious. There's people out there that are looking to start looting for the sake of looting.
Speaker 8: I guess they detained several people and eventually arrested twenty seven.
Speaker 7: And this comes as the National Guard troops that President Trump ordered have started to arrive.
Speaker 8: When assumes reporter Amanda Pelasios joins US Live from downtown Los Angeles with the breaking update.
Speaker 6: Amanda, good morning, yew. We've already seen a large, growing National Guard presidence here in downtown LA. If you take a look behind me here you can see. Troops are stationed along Alameda Street as another protest is expected to take place later today near City Hall.
Speaker 2: And that is similar to what we heard from Michael Monks, who was there right now. We'll check with Michael here in about another ten or fifteen minutes too.
Speaker 6: This follows President Trump's deployment of two thousand National Guard members in response to a series of immigration protests across the city. This is new video from overnight showing the troops arrive. They stopped at City Hall after driving through Paramount, then knitted up here at the Federal Building meantime. This follows another night of protest all right, and video from last night shows tense moments in downtown LA as protesters clashed with police, some setting off fireworks and starting fires. Officers responded with what appeared to be tear gas to disperse the crowds, and a separate incident, demonstrators were seen entering a damaged convenience store in Compton and looting items for I'm inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we said that. That doesn't make any sense to me. According to the LP, I just don't have the mindset. I'm fine with the mindset of a protester. I'm fine with the mindset of somebody that's so frustrated they have to go to the streets and they have to scream and they have to say what they got to say. And look, that's not political. We've seen that from the left, from the right. That is, someone who's passionate about their viewpoint. Our country was founded on that. But turning things into looting just doesn't make any sense. There's no logic behind it whatsoever.
Speaker 6: According to the LPD, multiple individuals who would turn to the area after disperse order was issued on Elemeda Street were detained in our expect to be to be booked for failure to disperse.
Speaker 2: All right, so that's civil infraction. They're booked for that. My guess probably chargers are going to be dropped. We see this all the time when it comes to civil civil unrest and civil disobedience, where you get people who are arrested for staying in the way and not leaving when they're supposed to. They get arrested and then the charges end up getting dropped or they end up with something, you know, community service.
Speaker 3: Or somebody of that sort.
Speaker 6: We spoke with meyerbas about the deployment of the National Guard and believes it's not necessary.
Speaker 3: Oh what she.
Speaker 9: Said, my concern. And we have experienced civil unrest, and I remember nineteen ninety two very well that one of the worst things you can do is have an extreme presence of law enforcement that gets everybody agitated, and the Violence Act actually escalates it.
Speaker 6: Okay, And today's protest is scheduled for two PM, and the LPED says officers and the National Guard were remain stationed in this area reporting in downtown Late Amanda Plosius.
Speaker 2: All right, so national Guard is there. About three hundred troops, is what we're hearing. The President said he was going to send two thousand, but it ends up being like three hundred so far. That doesn't mean we're not going to have two thousand. It's three hundred so far. So larger protests expected around two o'clock.
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Honestly, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And I think this is why it's such a tense and anxious moment for everyone that's witnessing this.
Speaker 3: This is happening in your city or your backyard. Right.
Speaker 2: This is a Southern California issue. I can tell you the people of Omaha are not paying very close attention to this. Other than the political wonks who want to be able to argue about this over coffee with someone who has a different viewpoint, those are the only people who are really paying attention to this outside of our area, other than people who may have documentation issues. They're watching what's going on in southern California as well, which is part of why this show of force is so important for the administration to show we're cracking down, we're doing it right, We're coming after you, and if you're here without documents, self deport now right. It's part of the messaging. What will be interesting to see is if cooler heads prevail, And by cooler I don't mean don't yell, don't scream, whatever. What I mean is they're going to be rock throwing. Will there be water bottles being thrown? Will there will we have to see tear gas and rubber bullets and things of that nature. Again, rubber bullets, of course, were being used uh yesterday as well, and I would assume that the rubber bullet guns are are loaded and ready for today.
Speaker 10: The Violin clash and Paramount protesters face to face with Border Patrol agents one side, hurling rocks and bottles the other firing back with pepper spray and rubber bullets.
Speaker 2: Just chaos, man, Just chaos. Now, some of this, some of this is coming from the protesters. So you're hearing some of the explosions, the flash bangs, the the tear gas, the rubber bullets that are coming from U enforcement. But some of what you're hearing, like the fireworks, those are coming from the protesters, which, of course, the whole situation continues to get escalated.
Speaker 10: Sources tel Fox eleven Border Patrol agents Saturday morning. We're here across the street from Home Depot for a staging area possibly prepping for an immigration rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, across the street from the Home depot. And as we know, there have been other raids that have happened at the home depots. Look, you've got people who are there without documents, that are sitting out front and they're they're looking for daytime labor jobs.
Speaker 3: It is it is, uh, it is easy pickings for ice. Boom.
Speaker 2: They pull in surround these guys and you go, I'm gonna grab you and you and you and you and you and you and you and you everybody in the van boom and then they go boop. We got our dozen guys today. You don't have to go tracking people down, you don't have to go finding somebody who's in a gang.
Speaker 3: You know, it's really easy pickings. That's exactly what they're doing.
Speaker 10: Protesters then moved in.
Speaker 1: You think it's get in our hand, not patrol everybody.
Speaker 10: Right now, local officials speaking with demonstrators.
Speaker 1: These are hard working community members.
Speaker 3: People are rich. That's why I'm here.
Speaker 1: These We have to protect community and make sure they have rights like anybody else.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So there's somebody this protesting because they believe very firmly in their stance, Okay, And I think that gets lost sometimes. I think what we end up seeing is this this binary choice that media is covering law enforcement and law breakers.
Speaker 3: Right, there is no middle ground.
Speaker 2: It's undocumented immigrants who are throwing rocks at law enforcement who are trying to keep America safe, and that sort of eliminates the gray area.
Speaker 10: Video obtained exclusively by Fox shows federal authorities trying to leave the ten situation, taking on rocks and chunks of concrete. At least one agent injured.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not cool, alright, So we're.
Speaker 10: Seeing agitators throwing items towards numbers of black and they're firing right back. It feels like a war zone out.
Speaker 3: Here, which is the point I made earlier. It's a war zone right now.
Speaker 2: And if you're a protester who's throwing something, you're an agitator. If you're law enforcement who's throwing something, well, you're part of a controlling the crowd perspective is everything, isn't it. We'll check with Michael Monks, who continues his reporting from outside the detention set of the Federal Building off of Alameda.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks joins us.
Speaker 1: Next, you're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand, a.
Speaker 2: Special coverage of the ongoing protests, and we'll find out exactly whether or not things are gonna get violent again today. Hopefully what we saw yesterday, the clashes that were going on to Paramount Compton are the the culmination of the most that we see of the protests turning violent. Michael Monks, though, is at the Federal Building downtown, and really we had three different sites yesterday, right we had Compton, we had Paramount, and then Downtown didn't really get all that violent.
Speaker 3: At least that was some of the reporting I was hearing.
Speaker 5: Now downtown kept itself relatively tame last night, and it looks as though the issues in Compton spilled over from Paramount once the protest was pushed out of that area, So it did end up being at three different sites, but kind of a two different events. Right here now on Alameda Street outside the Federal Building, where we do see military in their full military guard, military vehicles, military weapons, along with Department of Homeland Security police. This crowd of anti ice demonstrators has grown probably doubled in size since we talked twenty or so minutes ago, and it's gotten much louder, and now it's become a bit of a traffic issue, a traffic very slow moving across Alameda, and that's because it's spilled into the streets a little bit. And so brazen was one guy that he's parked his mini van blocking two lanes and pulled out a couple of grills as if we were about to have a little asada out here on a Sunday afternoon. He seems to have been disabused of that notion and has packed up his grill and is starting to leave. But you hear the honking. Some of those are honks of support. Some of those are honks of frustration by people who maybe didn't get the mimmo and just want to get out of dodge.
Speaker 3: But it is, you know, there's a lot of tones.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of honking, a lot of yelling, and yes, the atmosphere is certainly intensified, certainly the volume, but still not a lot of violent activity right now. Just a lot of shouting, a lot of jib jabbing so.
Speaker 2: Far, okay, and that's great, that's fine. What is the demeor of the National guardsmen that are there, the others that are standing guard.
Speaker 5: Are they being chill and just observing, stonefaced, good stoic standing here, just looking at the crowd, not engaging at all. They clearly got their orders and no better than to engage, so they are prepared though. They've got pretty good sized guns here and pretty good.
Speaker 3: Sized sticks as well.
Speaker 5: If these folks here's the scene, basically, we're in the loading dock behind the main entrance of the federal building and there are military vehicles part tier. This protest is taking place on the sidewalk. If folks start to spill into that loading dock area, the parking lot outside the loading dock that's when they might meet some of these sticks.
Speaker 2: Okay, And that's based on what I was seeing from some of the other reporting, and obviously I'm working from the confines of the studio. This is kind of where we saw things happening yesterday as well. Was right at the loading docks. In fact, some people I believe were trying to get into the building yesterday and that's when they were repelled out with some of the tear gas yesterday.
Speaker 3: But again didn't turn all that violent.
Speaker 2: Just seem to be a lot of what you're seeing today, plus some people trying to get into the building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll note that.
Speaker 5: Look, there are protests happening across the country and they're going to continue as long as this ice activity take place.
Speaker 3: But I would say Lay's special.
Speaker 5: Breed when it comes to organizing and getting people to protest. The message goes out and people respond quickly, and the numbers typically swell, and there are agitators. There are people that are always at the ready to escalate the situation, who really want to take out more than just frustration. They want to take out long simmering anger on governments, on industries, on traditions, and those sorts of things, and that's what I think we've seen in La so far when it has escalated. Don't see much of that right now, but that doesn't mean it's not going to come. There is a bigger rally scheduled at about two o'clock at city Halls the few blocks from here, and we'll see what type of characters show up for that.
Speaker 2: So Michael Bunks is reporting from the Federal building there on Alameda, and I'm looking at the I'm looking at the traffic maps right now, and that looks like such a mess.
Speaker 3: Did you say that the dude he set up his grill like on Elamina.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he pulled a minivan over and blocked the two right lanes and then pulled out a pair of grills and looked like he was prepared to start cooking. But he has since packed up the grill, but his van is still blocking two lanes. Traffic pretty slow moving past here, and that's because the sidewalk is only so large here, and now it is spilling out into the street. And my curiosity is now towards who's coming down for the city hall protests?
Speaker 3: Are they going to stop by here first? How big is this crowd going?
Speaker 5: To get and is this crowd going to disperse and go to city hall or are you going to have multiple scenes taking place?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's check in with you again here after we do news, Michael, if that's all right, because I do want to hear I know you were at city hall earlier. I want to hear a little bit about that and then I can hear it sounds like sounds like more people keep showing up the longer than than I keep talking. So absolutely discussing. You're just a few boma sor right. Thank you very much, Michael, monksters live there. I just got word from the city of Pasadena is aware of a gathering taking place near a location within the city and members of the Pasadena Police Department are monitoring that situation. The city encourages all those in attendance to remain peaceful, in law abiding is nonviolent. Protest is a powerful tool for those who seek change. At this time, the city is not aware of any federal law enforcement action in the city, including those regarding immigration. So that is a statement from Pasadena. You heard Michael say that there were protests elsewhere. There are Chicago, New York, a lot of it happening. But something unique about Los Angeles is he did point out that we seem to have agitators at the ready. Be curious to see if those agitators are at the ready to really make these shenanigans violent this afternoon, or if this is more about civil disobedience and in simply obstruction of you know, ICE doing whatever it is that they're going to do. But honestly, if ICE isn't doing anything other than detaining people, then there's really unless they're going out and arresting people. I don't know that these agitators are going to get worked up, right. There's nothing to really escalate the situation unless they decide to start escalating that situation. Be curious to hear from Michael Monks. We will after one o'clock about what the situation is at City Hall. He may mention that there were protests that were set to go on there. We do hear that there's going to be protests going on starting at two o'clock this afternoon. So we are going to be live right up until two o'clock. Then we'll hand things over to another live show. I'm back this afternoon at four. We'll have a bit of a recap of what we see going on here and then some of the other things that are going on in southern California. Of course across the United States as well. Because of the tensions that are happening, we are seeing that there are some other events where the organizers have just no, I'm not talking about protest organizers. Other organizers of other events in the area have just said, not really worth our time. It's not worth going out there and being at the center of a news story tomorrow. So we're seeing some cancelations. If you had plans today, you're gonna want to check and see if they're still going on, because some places they're saying nope.
Speaker 11: This is from KTLA breaking news out of the city of Whittier, where a swap meet that happens typically every Sunday over at cal Hi in the parking lot has been canceled due to possible ice activity.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 11: An email and a Facebook post was sent out informing all the vendors of the cancelation. Impossible ice activity again in Whittier. Also in commerce in Santa Fe Springs, the vendors who weren't aware were told.
Speaker 3: To go home once they arrived. That's a booger.
Speaker 12: It's sad. It's sad the way we're living. People living in fear like this, it's incredible. I mean, I never lived through something like this, where people are living in fear because they got to watch out for ice.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 12: This is crazy.
Speaker 11: The Whittier Swap Meet again held at the California High School every Sunday in the parking lot there. The hundreds of weekly vendors are hopeful that they can return next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope so too. Love me a good swap meet.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get the latest from Michael Munksy was at city Hall earlier. I believe he is going to be back there for the protests That is scheduled for two o'clock at City Hall, but right now an awful lot of people are gathering there at the Federal Building off Alameda. You'll hear live from downtown next KFI AM six forty on demand