Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 1: Last spring, I wrote a letter to Kelly Wilson's mom, Kathy. The thirtieth anniversary of Kelly's disappearance from Gilmer, Texas had just passed that January. I introduced myself and asked if we could meet. A few weeks later, my phone rang an anonymous call. When I picked up, I instantly recognized Cathy's voice. She has a Southern accent. It's kind of twangy. She was polite, but she didn't have much to say. To my disappointment, Kathy declined to meet for an interview. She said she had good reason not to talk. There were new developments in the search for her daughter, Kelly. Kathy didn't want to do anything to compromise the case. I had also written a letter to Kelly's dad, Robbie. Unlike his ex wife, Robbie was happy to meet.
Speaker 3: Hey, mister Wilson. Yes, Hey, I'm west Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Oh we have a couple weeks.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, very nice to meet you.
Speaker 5: Good to meet you.
Speaker 1: Robbie looked really good for seventy years old. He spent decades working in management at paper Mills. We're retired now. He wears a tidy gray beard and stays fit on the golf course. And he lives in a lake house in Nakadish, the small town in Louisiana where Kelly grew up before she moved to East Texas as a teenager.
Speaker 3: Beautiful home. Yeah, yeah, from Texas right.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It was clear most of the way, and then past twenty minutes or so started coming down, all right, ah, right on the water.
Speaker 1: The view from the lake through Robbie's back window was stunning. Sheets of rain swept across the water, rippling the surface. We set down in the living room. Although Robbie's second wife, Waverlin, died in twenty twenty, you could still feel a woman's presence in all the furniture and home decor. I explained to Robbie why I was so interested in Kelly's case, that I was twelve years old when she vanished, that my first newspaper editor had given me the idea that maybe I could help find Kelly. I had always, you know, wanted to come back to the story because you know, a lot of it just didn't really make sense.
Speaker 6: It's a long sworded twisted boots and just went on with the story that propersed you. Now it's a nice cold case. Now there's a lot of there's a lot of questions. There's more questions than answers to this thing.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 7: I'm not a father yet, and I can't imagine what that's like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not it's not easy, and you don't you know, I don't know how you deal with it other than the fact that.
Speaker 5: You just wake up every day to live.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: You get to the day and you wake up the next day and you do it again, you know, and it gets easier, but it never goes away.
Speaker 1: I asked Robbie to tell me what he remembered about Kelly when she still lived with him in Louisiana.
Speaker 5: Did she have.
Speaker 3: Hobbies, pastimes? You know what he's telling me? More about her personality?
Speaker 2: She I mean, she.
Speaker 6: Had schoogle activities, you know, I think she was she might have been in what do you call it? And she not the cheerleaders, but the pep squad and all that kind of thing in school. Had pretty typical young lady type activities. She kind of liked myth a little bit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: Some of the sciences. She was small enough she could have done whatever she wanted.
Speaker 1: But Kelly was also headstrong. We got into that in the first episode, how Kelly bucked against the rules of Robbie's house. He was a single dad doing his best, and he says his daughter was more than a handful.
Speaker 3: I grew up with two brothers.
Speaker 5: I didn't have any idea what to do with with a teenage daughter.
Speaker 6: Actually one that was, you know, pretty attractive, very outgoing. I mean, she was a handful from the time she was and Kelly matured way way. It is almost unfair she I mean she retured from like she was eleven and a half years old, and until she turned fifteen or sixteen, she didn't actually had a brain in her head. And I guess the homeowners were just raging, you know, a couple with the fact that her parents split up and her mother was steadily just agitating the situation to get at.
Speaker 5: Me, Frankie.
Speaker 6: Her mother and I both grew up in a little town called Plain Dealing. I don't know if you've contacted her mother or I talked to her yesterday.
Speaker 5: I don't even know where she I guess she's still in Plaine DeLand.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Plain Dealing is a tiny town in northwestern Louisiana.
Speaker 5: Just out of curiosity, she'd whe her to talk to you.
Speaker 3: She said, no, that's a surprise.
Speaker 1: Robbie and Kelly's mom, Kathy, are estranged. They haven't spoken since nineteen ninety four. Of that is due to their ugly divorce and custody battle for Kelly and her little brother Kyle, but also Robbie has leveled serious accusations against Kathy, wondering if she knows more about her daughter's disappearance than she's letting on.
Speaker 3: What do you think is the most plausible thing that happened?
Speaker 5: You know, I still go back to the family.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you look at if you look at these kinds of things statistically, that's where it's almost always is now what happened and how it happened. I couldn't I mean, you couldn't you let your imagination run wild.
Speaker 1: Remember, Kelly's stepdad, Robert Carlson, was the first person to find her eighty five Dodge Charger beside the video store on the morning after she vanished. According to the first news reports about Kelly's case, Robert told police he went out looking for Kelly at five am. Later, he would say he actually went searching two hours earlier, at three in the morning. Either way, the car was unlocked when he found it, a tire was slashed, and Kelly's purse was inside the vehicle.
Speaker 6: First of all, you rely on the fact that her purse was in the car strictly on what he says. You know, her stepdad says, right, You really don't know other than what he's telling you. Is that true or not true? Just depends on whether it has any reason alive why I was even out looking for at three am on this particular not any of the others she I mean, obviously out of his true you know, being out and party.
Speaker 1: And don't forget Kelly's tire had also been slashed outside the video store just two nights before she disappeared to get her right home that time on Friday. I've been told that Kelly called her stepdad to come pick her up. I have also heard that Kelly simply drove home on the flat tire on Sunday night when Kelly vanished. Practically every news report has repeated the detail that store manager Joe Henry was the last person to see her. But I found one report, just one that told a different story. It claimed the skateboarders who were on the town square that night watched Kelly go back inside the video store after her tire was slashed. The skater supposedly watched Kelly make a phone call. Who did Kelly call her stepdad or someone else? From Imperative Entertainment, I'm Wes Ferguson. This is Deviltown. This is Chapter eight Older Men. Over the years, Robbie Wilson has often questioned whether his ex wife, Kathy Carlson, had anything to do with Kelly's disappearance. One of Robbie's theories that he shared with law enforcement back in the nineties is that somehow Kelly found out her brother Kyle's blood type proved that he was not actually Robbie's son. Here's a direct quote from an investigator's report, which is publicly available from the Attorney General's office. Kelly was going to tell this to Robbie, and this may have been a motive. If Kathy Carlson had a hand in Kelly's demise, This seems really far fetched to me. Robert and Kathy Carlson have always adamantly denied involvement in Kelly's disappearance. And remember, Kelly's purse was in the car. If her stepdad had given her a ride home, she wouldn't have left her purse behind. Then again, we only have the stepdad's word about the purse.
Speaker 6: You know the issue was a perseh you know, been in a car or was it in a car? Who knows.
Speaker 1: Another wrinkle in the case involves the key to Kelly's Dodge charger. When Kelly's stepdad, Robert, discovered her car beside the video store early Monday morning, that key was nowhere to be found. Just days after Kelly's disappearance, the same key mysteriously appeared in their yard like someone who knew where Kelly lived drove by, tossed the key out the window, and drove away. This rumor has been swirling around Gilmer for decades, and I've been able to confirm it. This is what Kelly's mom and stepdad say happened. Kelly's dad, on the other hand, Robbie questions whether they're telling the truth. He wonders if Kelly got a ride home that night, just like she did two nights earlier, something happened and Kelly died. Robbie's theory is that her mom and stepdad made up the story of finding her purse in the unlocked car and the key in the yard to cover up something else, something worse. Again, this is all conjecture on Robbie's part. Robbie also claims that Cathy was already talking about funeral arrangements on the first morning Kelly didn't come home. Kelly had barely been missing at that point, no one knew anything. Robbie says it didn't sit well with him. Kathy's reaction to her missing daughter left other people in Gilmer scratching their heads as well.
Speaker 8: Anyway, her mom came in for a long time d asked man long about her mom.
Speaker 1: That was Joe Henry, who worked with Kelly and was the last person to talk to her at the video store. Here's local news reporter Philip Williams.
Speaker 9: The one thing about her mother that seems strange to me was Kathy. You would think the average mother of a teenage girl who very likely has been murdered would be boo who, boo who. When I would talk to Kathy Carlson, her mindset seemed to be anger that the cops hadn't gotten anything done. I never saw her show any grief. Now, different people handled grief differently, but you know, it just seems strange to me. The times that I talked to and it was a number of times that I never saw her sheditated, choke up, or anything like that, and that seemed odd.
Speaker 1: The detective leading the search for Kelly, Sergeant James York Brown, said Kathy even tried to shut down his investigation.
Speaker 10: Orse winner and became one Kitty's clue. That's when it's really sent up red flags.
Speaker 3: Did she say why she wanted the case closed?
Speaker 5: She was tired of it all.
Speaker 10: That's not a good reason. And I said that won't happen. Could we find her and bring her home?
Speaker 1: It was strange, but, like Philip Williams pointed out, everyone handles grief in their own way. Beyond these idle suspicions, I have not found a lick of evidence linking Kathy to the crime. Let's get back to Robbie's house in Louisiana. He and I had been talking for about half an hour when he offered to play a taping of an old news special about Kelly's case. I was carrying my stuff into Robbie's bedroom, whereas TV is when he brought up Kathy again, let's go in here.
Speaker 5: With the big team. Okay, she declined to speak with you.
Speaker 7: Huh, well she said that, but she uh big Old TV said that there's she has engaged with some new investigator and didn't want to compromise it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I won't call BS on that. I talked to Kathy, she declined.
Speaker 3: And you're the first person that I've actually met with.
Speaker 6: It doesn't surprise me. She didn't want to. I can't answer. Yeah, well, and I can't answer. I can't tell you all that, you know, I'm like I said, I won't I'm won't call BS on it.
Speaker 5: She got somebody investigating.
Speaker 1: After my interview with Robbie ended and I talked to a few more people, I wanted to let Kathy know that he and others were tossing around all these allegations against her. If nothing else, Kathy should have a chance to defend herself. I couldn't find a phone number, so I wrote another letter. Three days later, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize.
Speaker 11: Hello, Wes, this is Amanda Gamble. I'm a private investigator. That is investigating Kelly Wilson's case. Ms Kathy has received another letter from you. If you could give me a call back, I would sure appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Huh So there really was a private investigator, someone named Amanda Gamble. I called her back.
Speaker 12: I just wanted to talk to you briefly about Chilley's case. I know more than likely and you can tell me if I'm wrong that the narrative that you're going to go with is what's been published at this point. Correct.
Speaker 3: Well, no, ma'am.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to interview everyone I can to create a new narrative that's as complete and accurate as possible.
Speaker 12: What I can tell you is that we are very deep into the investigation of this case, to the point to where shortly we'll be turning everything over to the FBI. We've had to reinvestigate the case as if it's never been investigated, and it could be a huge detriment to the case at this point if we give any information not already published and out in public record. We have found new evidence and it has taken us in a completely different direction, and so we would really like to thoroughly investigate this case for justice for Kelly and to hopefully locate her body. And I feel that if we if we released any information at this time, that's going to jeopardize that. Okay, well, I completely understand that, and I would not want to want one would not want to jeopardize that either.
Speaker 3: What's your Do you.
Speaker 6: Have any any timeline for when you think you'll be ready to give that to the DA's office.
Speaker 12: We're not going to the DA's office. We're going to go straight to THEB So I would say probably three to six months at the at the most, honestly, and I'll tell you this, the the truth is going to be stranger within the fiction. What's been printed at this point is just fiction. You know. I've talked to Mss Cathy and and you know, she's just been through a lot as far as media goes. They kind of put her through the wringer for you know, thirty years ago. More than anything, it was you know, hugely published, Kelly's case was, but it just wasn't ever investigated. And you know, thirty years later, she still doesn't have her daughter till later rest. And that's our main objective is to get justice and find Kelly. We're in a very pivotal point of the investigation right now. The tithes of tongues. Anything that we say at this point that is released in any way, shake, fashion, or form, could jeopardize the case. And I just don't want that to happen. Understood completely, And I'll tell you now, the one thing with Mss Cathy is you know her trust and her you know, she has lost a lot of faith and a lot of people, and a lot of trust and a lot of people, and you know, building that rapport with her is what is most important because she is a very very gentle and good hearted lady and a mother that can't greet, that has more that cannot greet. Like I said, we have gathered new evidence and there are things that did come up thirty years ago that they never ever released, that they never further investigated. They swept it completely under the rugs and they went with their narrative. That narrative. You can see where that went. It went absolutely nowhere and was thrown out of port. You know, all of the Satanic panic was just a smoke. Strange, that's all that was. I'm just letting you know the truth is stranger than the fiction. But I think you will, you know, if you enjoy telling the truth and you enjoy getting the truth out there, I think that you will really appreciate the story. But at this point, I'm still completely covertly investigating it. And if we let anything out in any way, that's gonna blow my cover, and that could also hurt and harm people. I mean it really could. It could put people's lives in danger, and we don't want that. We don't want that at all.
Speaker 1: I found out from Amanda that she and I are basically the same age. She grew up in a little town near Gilmer, and like me, had always wondered what happened to Kelly. So when Amanda got her private investigator's license, she offered to work for Kathy pro bono. Amanda had only been on the case three months, and she'd already found so much.
Speaker 12: I'm kind of locked up. Fright train is the way I would describe myself. Once I get started on something, and once I start finding leads and once I start finding truth, I barrel through and I don't stop it. I'm trying to not let the stone in turn. And if you'll just kind of hang on with us and how hold out, I could let you know, Hey, this is six and a halfned and be there and your story.
Speaker 13: Would be.
Speaker 4: Cute.
Speaker 1: Amanda told me she'd filed a request for the case files from the Attorney General's office. I let her know I already had a copy of the AG's files at a cost of seven hundred and twenty dollars. My access to the files seemed to pique a man's interest. This job was pro bono.
Speaker 12: After all, I'm also in the process of getting stuff from the FBI.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 12: We're on the same page you're with Do you have your private.
Speaker 13: Vestcut of Boston?
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I'm just a journalist.
Speaker 12: I'm trying to figure out what to do here with.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 12: I'm almost tempted, and I'll be quite honest.
Speaker 9: With you.
Speaker 12: To work with you on this, but nothing can be released until it's time to take it to the FBI.
Speaker 3: I could agree to that.
Speaker 12: You and I can get together as soon as possible. We'll sit down together. I'll show you everything that I have, and we can go from there. You can do some interviews, we can do something together. I can do something, but we share what we've got, and I think we would make a bigger headway quicker, I will tell you my main suspect is without a doubt.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I promised Amanda I wouldn't give this away just yet. From here on out, I have to be pretty careful about what I disclose, not to be overly dramatic about it. All in due time, right. Ever since that first phone call, Amanda and I have been talking through everyone who might be a suspect in Kelly's disappearance. What about Joe Henry, the video store manager. Sure, Joe was the last person to see Kelly on the night she vanished, but he had an alibi. He'd gone to the grocery store and talked to a friend on the phone after getting off work. Plus, Joe just seems like a nice guy to me. Philip Williams, the local news reporter, is always quick to vouch for Joe. A month after my first trip to Gilmer, I went to see Philip again. I found him sitting in an old recliner near the front door of his furniture store right off the town square.
Speaker 2: Jo Henry up here to that Burger place?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I popped in the same day I talked to you.
Speaker 9: Joe and I had known each other a long time when all this happened. He was one of my best friends, and poor guy talking about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: Naturally he looked like a suspect because he walked out with her that night.
Speaker 9: Well, ain't no way, and hell, Joe Henry kill anybody unless it was self defense. I mean, he's just you know, never has been a violent person.
Speaker 2: He has been squeaming this year about talking about it.
Speaker 9: And one thing you're probably going to discover, and I want to explain this to you in case you do, if you don't already know, Joe has a conviction for child or audi.
Speaker 2: That happened eighteen years ago or so.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 9: What happened was he had a friend who was into it heavy. Joe had told him to get rid of it, and he's certainly no pediphile. He was downloading zip, zip bounds and knees groups for this guy who is now dead.
Speaker 2: They came and got Joe's computer one day.
Speaker 9: And found ten images on there, and Joe told me that he was downloaded stuff for his Tony and couldn't see what he was download when turn that was child pornography and I traced it to his computer.
Speaker 2: So he played no contest.
Speaker 1: Philip told me that Joe's lawyer advised him to accept a plea deal even though he was innocent, to avoid the risk of a long prison sentence. On January fifth, two thousand and five, by sheer coincidence, thirteen years to the day since Kelly was last seen, Joe pleaded no contest to possession of child pornography, a third degree felony. He was given five years probation.
Speaker 9: Satisfactory completed his provide with no sweat. Of course, his picture was on TV and everything as a wonder didn't ruin his business. But in any event, I've never believed he was.
Speaker 2: Guilty, and I mean talk to people like me. I've known him a long time. Deptay, you ain't know Wayne hall So.
Speaker 9: Hendry's child less through pedophile, but I figured you might uncover this in the course of your research, and I wanted you to know what the truth story, as far as I.
Speaker 5: Believe it to be.
Speaker 1: I know Philip wants to believe the best of his friend, but just to be sure, I got my hands on his case file. One of the documents was an affidavit the cops used to secure the search warrant of Joe's house and his burger place. According to the affidavit, Joe's problems started when another guy from Gilbert named Tony Elardo got busted with five thousand images of child porn. He had it on computers, floppy disks, compact discs, and removable hard drives. When Lardo was arrested, he told the police he got most of the illegal porn from Joe. One of the hard drives even had Joe's written on it in black marker. If that wasn't bad enough, the FBI had also seized the database of a Fort Worth company that offered memberships for child porn websites. According to the affidavit, Joe Henry's name and personal information were right there in the database. The police were able to prove that Joe had even used his own credit cards to purchase the memberships. It's horrifying, and yet none of that means Joe had a hand in Kelly's disappearance. I had no idea about any of this when I first met Joe at his burger joint, But it turns out Joe had a reputation for inappropriate behavior with the high school girls who worked with him at the video store.
Speaker 14: Then that's all.
Speaker 15: Joe was the creepiest person on the face planet.
Speaker 1: This is Kelly's high school friend Lee Taylor.
Speaker 15: He just was a creeper. He gave us all the oh, you know, he just was always lurking around, always lurking around. My mom grew up with Joe, and I remember her being uneasy about us, all of us girls hanging out up there. All my friends were working at the movie store, and I wanted to work at the movie store with all my friends, and she would not let me. My mother would not. She was like, I don't want you around him.
Speaker 1: Joe has even admitted that he wants propositioned Kelly. He was in his mid thirties and she was seventeen. Although Joe has always maintained that he offered her one thousand dollars for sex as a joke.
Speaker 15: I want to say, like one thousand dollars I have sex with him or something, you know, And in nineteen ninety one, one thousand dollars was a lot of money, and you know, and I remember we would tell her you need to watch out for her. He is a total fucking creepster. Right grows yup and she's like, oh, I know he's harmless. Do you remember her staying one time like, oh, he's tried to get me to be with him or something like that.
Speaker 1: Joe has also admitted that he pulled down Kelly's sweatpants another time when he was trying to give her a wedgie. To be honest, this is shocking to me, but I remember how a lot of older men acted around teenage girls when I was younger. Other grown ups just kind of turned a blind eye to these men, bosses, teachers, church leaders. It was innocent flirting till it wasn't. Here's Kelly's other friend, Michelle, the one who lived with Kelly's family after she had a baby during their junior year.
Speaker 14: So many things were normalized, Like I remember in high school there were kids sleeping with coaches. I didn't get into that, but a lot of girls did. So I just feel like there was something going on in the community that we didn't know about, and it was making it too acceptable. And when you're that age, when you're fifteen or six, I have three daughters, When you're that age, you can taking advantage of so easily, and things can be normalized so quickly that you feel like those type of things are okay when they're not and you don't realize you're being victimized. That's what's very frustrating to me because I feel like that was going on, so it was different and you didn't have social media. People weren't blasted, and I feel like a lot of these older people were protected, like they just didn't believe young girls very much, you know, And that's why it's really hard for young girls to come forward because says, well, they were intoxicated, so they didn't know what they were doing, so they agreed to it. They shouldn't have been wearing a skirt that short, they asked for it. There's so many things that if a young girl comes forward, she even starts to have her own friends or you know, people at school saying, well, she's a slut anyway, you know, she's always sleeping around, and so it makes it very very hard for a young female to ever come forward because they start being criticized. And I don't care how big of a slut you are, you don't deserve to be taken advantage of. You don't deserve to be raped.
Speaker 1: During their junior year, when Michelle was still living with Kelly's family, There was a night that Kelly didn't come home.
Speaker 14: Miss Cathy was panicking and had me calling everybody. But I was making phone calls and calling people I knew to call, which was probably younger people.
Speaker 13: Have you seen Kelly's Kelly with you? Have you seen her?
Speaker 14: And I was doing all of those things and pacing, you know, rather in the living room or in the kitchen. It was dark outside, and I saw carlight, and when I saw car lights, got outside.
Speaker 13: But by the time I got outside.
Speaker 14: And got down the steps, they were getting back in the car pulling off.
Speaker 13: So I did.
Speaker 14: My focus was on Kelly, not on the car, because I can tell she needed assistance. So I hollered for Miss Kathy and I ran out there to get her. So and I know it was somebody older dropping her off. She was dressed in a long black gown and that long blonde hair was tousled up on her head. I mean she looked thirty and they dropped her off so and she wasn't coherent. They propped her up against the fence. But you've probably seen her dealt with the intoxicated person, whether it's alcohol or drug use, whatever it is. She wasn't like a sleep, passed out, but just wasn't with it, you know what I mean. She told me the next day that she couldn't remember anything, and I just I didn't believe her.
Speaker 13: But I didn't press her either.
Speaker 14: I mean, she had done so much for me if she'd made a mistake, I just really didn't want to hold her feet to the fire. But I do wish now i'd ask more questions. I was too young to know to ask more questions, and it drives me nuts because I feel like I could have found out a lot more what was going on with her because I had no idea what she had stepped off into.
Speaker 1: Michelle is being hard on herself. Afterward, she tried to find out who the car belonged to.
Speaker 13: It was a black luxury car.
Speaker 14: I asked around at school, does anybody know whose car this is?
Speaker 1: Michelle doesn't want to reveal anything more about the car, at least not yet. Just to be clear, since we mentioned him a minute ago, Joe Henry did not have a black luxury car. He drove a pickup truck. This was someone else. And there was this one dude, Clint, who was pushing thirty when he met Kelly during her junior year. At the time, Kelly had an after school job at a buffet restaurant. How did you meet Kelly?
Speaker 16: Through my youngest sister. They worked together at the Golden Crowle there in Gilmourt. I was working out of town pipeline and stuff. I'd come in on the weekends occasionally, and we had a little bonfire party one night at my mom and dad's house. She was a young Preddie Blunt had a girl. We probably didn't, you know, I don't even want to call it dating, because I mean I was going all the time. It probably wasn't several times that I seen her.
Speaker 3: Where would you all go?
Speaker 16: Hell, I don't remember it's going anywhere. She would come out to the house. I'd already drove fourteen hours to come home, and usually it was just you know, uh, drink alcohol and do what folks do you know? It's kind of a deal. I made good money. I could come in for a job and give her a hundred dollars bills, send her the mall.
Speaker 5: She was a happy girl.
Speaker 16: Six times in three months is all I ever seen her. And I hadn't seen her in probably nine months when she disappeared. Hell, I'd already got red. She was a sweet girl. Well, like I say, you know, I was older than her and that was probably just a flinging deal for her or something other, just because you know, I had one hundred dollars bills in my pocket or something.
Speaker 3: Did she could you tell? Did she kind of expect that or was it.
Speaker 16: Just I No, No, she didn't ask me for money at all. I would just say, hey, here's a hunter, go dropping because I had plenty.
Speaker 1: The way Clint puts it, Kelly was casual fun on the rare occasions he was back in town from work. But her friend Michelle remembers Kelly taking their relationship pretty seriously.
Speaker 14: She was dating him when I moved in with her, and when my parents found out that she was dating him, they talked to Miss Kathy, and Miss Kathy made her break up with me. She spent two days in that bedroom balling and squalling over that. Whatever Kelly was doing was normalized. I don't feel like she thought she was being taken advantage of. I think what she was doing she felt like it.
Speaker 13: It was okay.
Speaker 1: Like Clint said, he was already married by the time Kelly went missing. The night Kelly disappeared Clint and his wife were competing in an all night bingo tournament at their church. It's pretty clear he had nothing to do with Kelly's disappearance. The other day, I tried to stop by Joe's place. There was a note on the window his burger joint was closed due to a health issue. If he was really sick, I didn't want to bother him, but I also needed to ask him some difficult questions. So I looked up Joe's home address and knocked on his door.
Speaker 5: Hey, where's come yet?
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, man, i've been seeing I heard that.
Speaker 5: What's wrong?
Speaker 8: I've got to think out acolasia and it's a man.
Speaker 3: It just got me down. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I almost didn't recognize Joe. He was in a bathrobe, skin and bone. It had been a few months since I saw him last, but he looked like he'd aged twenty years.
Speaker 3: Do you think you're going to be on the mend? Are you feeling any better at all? Well, I'm feeling better.
Speaker 4: I lost I went down from two ten to nine.
Speaker 3: Well, I can tell you're very slim now.
Speaker 2: And I've lost all my strength on my muscle mass. I was eating supper one night and the food wouldn't go down.
Speaker 8: It hung right here, and then I started throwing up.
Speaker 2: For two months.
Speaker 1: It took his doctors a long time to figure out what was wrong. Eventually they gave Joe some botox injections in his stomach.
Speaker 8: Well, then about three hours, I was starting to get appetite back, and I'm I'm eating pretty good now, but I just have lost all my strength and I don't even know if I'm gonna be able to go back to work.
Speaker 3: So I told everyone that.
Speaker 17: I haven't made a decision on that yet, but if I don't get back to where I need to be, then there's no way I can work.
Speaker 1: Joe says he will probably wait till next year to see if he is well enough to reopen the burger joint. If not, he'll probably have to sell it and retire.
Speaker 17: My customers say that if I'm not there, or if I'm not cooking them, it's not.
Speaker 1: Not kind of hamburg Of course, I hadn't come to Joe's house to ask him about Hamburgers this difficult question.
Speaker 3: But the thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, that was totally out of context. That was just some horseplay that was not definitely not serious, no, just you know, just saying things you shouldn't absolutely not. But yeah, they blew that all out of out of whack. But that was horseplay. That and just saying things that you shouldn't do. But now that was that was certainly not done, but taken out of context as to what it was, what was saying it.
Speaker 1: Joe said he'd earned a thousand dollars from his side hustle repairing BCRs. Kelly was taking the money out of the cash drawer when Joe made the joke. He thinks the customer overheard him.
Speaker 4: It is just jumped, very embarrassing after that came out, but it was it was I assure he was just junk top. Sam Founs was brought up.
Speaker 12: That was.
Speaker 3: I think it was like pulling pulling up, Yeah, that's right that way. It was what's the word?
Speaker 4: What's what are they call when you pull your pants up? Aggie Weggie, Well again that was, you know, one of those things. And she jumped and I came down and I didn't go look and I'm like, oh sorry, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and that was totally wrong.
Speaker 4: She would have been doing that kind of stuff just for us playing. But that was what that was a past.
Speaker 1: I pressed Joe on a few other things. If he knew about Kelly seeing older men, maybe with money changing hands, if he'd heard where her body might be buried, a few other rumors I'd heard around town. Joe didn't seem to know anything more than what he'd already told me. After a while, I got up to leave. Joe gave me a plastic grocery bag so I could gather some pears from the tree in his front yard.
Speaker 4: Always come by anytime you want too, Yes, sir, I'm always.
Speaker 5: Here at now.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, keep feeling better, keep eating well, I'm gonna keep eat that ice cream.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna eat all ice cream on the handle.
Speaker 1: As I've mentioned before, police eliminated Joe as a suspect a long time ago. There are other leads to follow people to interview. One interesting thing that Amanda, the private investigator told me involves Kelly's friend group. They were teenage girls when Kelly disappeared in nineteen ninety two. Now they're moms, some with teenagers of their own. Earlier this year, around the thirtieth anniversary of Kelly's disappearance, Kelly's friends got back together to talk trade notes. What do you remember? What did you tell police?
Speaker 14: That they ignored and all of us girls talked about it, and none of us were really involved in the search. They didn't involve this. I didn't want involvement from her friends, and we were young and weren't aggressive enough to say, hey, what's going on. We were really depending on the adults in the community to do what needed to be done.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, the adults weren't that interested in what the girls knew. On top of that, back then, Michelle had another reason to keep her distance from the case, a warning from her own mom and stepdad.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 14: One of the things that was very alarming to me is that, you know, my parents were very involved in a different world, and they sat me and my best friend down after she was gone and we had gone through all the questions and did everything we were supposed to do. They sat us down then said, now that you've you know, gone through all this, don't talk to anybody else, don't talk to investigators, don't talk to the media. I think they are more concerned with the media. They said, you really need to stay quiet, and you need to stay out of everything, because this has nothing to do with the teenagers. They're looking at it has to do with higher ups in the community. And my stepdad put the fear of God in us. He said, your life will be in grave danger if you get too involved in this case.
Speaker 1: We get into that next time on Deviletown.
Speaker 18: I'm just gonna say it. There was a lot of sexual payments made to Killy. We are pretty confident that she was pregnant. We're looking at wereking some bad people. I mean, with that a doubt and if we're not careful, we could have lives.
Speaker 2: And thank you.
Speaker 1: Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak. Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis. Recording by Austin Sissler at Eastside Studios. If you like the show, leave a review and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.