Speaker 1: Caloroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Fun One Today. Hey there, I'm Jenny Mack with your daily comedy news. Shane Gillis gave us some more insight about his discourse with Nick Saban. You may recall that a head of Notre Name's first round college football playoff game, Shane made some jokes about Alabama. Nick Saban didn't appreciate it. So it seems, let's listen to the original clip caught him a cheater earlier.
Speaker 1: I was just joking around. I don't think the SEC paid players eever. Period. I'm joking.
Speaker 3: Not a fun show, no serious. Alabama Jones is very serious. I'm not serious. I do believe in integrity. I was trying to run the program that way so players had a better chance to be successful.
Speaker 2: Money in the.
Speaker 3: NFL than any old school sixty one plays in the league. That was how we cheated redeveloped player.
Speaker 2: We recruit. So sorry. Jane was wondering if Saban was actually mad he spoke about it. Here you're gonna hear some dropouts in the audio, and that's where the f bombs were.
Speaker 1: He was like, what do you think about the game, And I was like, I don't know if fick Saban cheated. It was just a fulls faz. It was so good though, I mean that I get I'd like to explain that because that was so After I said that, we had to go into the stadium to sit at the desk. Then I got in there and right before we go on, he looks at me and he's like, I heard what you said, and I was like holy, And then Herb Street and McAfee were like, he's just breaking balls, dude. He loves messing with guys like he's literally just I was like, all right, off, put him back. I would have never done that if I thought he was serious. Yeah, they told me he was, so I started with him. And then as soon as we get done, I tell herber Street and McAfee, I'm like, bro, he was definitely serious, and they were like, no way, he was serious. Go talk to him. So I went up to him after news, like.
Speaker 3: You think the SEC dominated because we cheated, that's bullshit, and he likes are helping.
Speaker 1: But then so he was still on the stage and I was on the field, so after he yelled at me, I had to help him down, and he looked around to see if anybody else could help him, but I had to help him down.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to Nate BERGETSI. A gym will be named after him. Donaldson Christian Academy Gymnasium will be named in honor of Nate's on January seventeenth. Nate annually hosts a fundraiser golf tournament for the school, and Nate and his wife recently made a donation of one point one five million dollars towards the DC eight to go towards construction of an athletics indoor practice facility. Nice job all around. Newsday caught up with David Tel turning sixty. Dave says, I'm surprised I made it. I never thought it was gonna happen. In terms of comedy, I'm the oldest guy in the room now. When I started out, there was always some old grizzled comic in the corner, and now it's me. It's great to be able to see if I can still follow the new comics. I'm kind of like the old buffalo and the wolves are circling. Well, this is what I do, and I'll keep doing it for as long as I can. Dave addressed the good buzz on his twenty twenty four special Hot Cross Buns. I had that way up my list, and Tel said it kind of blew me away when it hit like that. I guess it's kind of fun to watch someone who's melting down and angry, unless you're in the subway, then it's scary. Newsday, that's a Long Island newspaper, talk to a Tale about what it was like when he lived there. I used to live there too, and I agree with what he says here at Tel said, I grew up on Long Island when you could get from the Lincoln Tunnel to Roosevelt Field in under three hours. That should be about a twenty five minute drive, maybe thirty minutes. But yeah, it's not that anymore. Tel says. Now that Newsday asked to tell about being revered by so many fellow comedians, Dave says, I don't say, because I'm one of them and we're all in it together. I think a lot of them like to watch me on stage because I'm pretty self destructive. I'll tell a joke that works, then tweak it and twist it until it fails, and then I get angry with myself and go off on tangents. I guess it's fun to see the ramblings of a madman mass. I've caught up with Kathy Griffin, who said, I am in the Guinness Book of World Records. I've done more TV streaming comedy specials than any comedian male or female, living or dad. And don't talk to me about the boys now. I think the transcription went sideways here because it says here, I'll read the two sentences, but then I'll tell you about the spelling. It says I love Dave Chappelle, but he doesn't come close. Matt Rice is the hot thing now, but I write my own stuff. But Chappelle doesn't have the E at the end, So that makes me think she actually said Matt Rife and not Matt Rice anyway. Spelling a side her comment on Matt Rife, he's the hot thing now, but I write my own stuff. Is she implying that Matt does not write his own stuff? Kathy says, you know, these other comics have three four openers, but not me. Do other comedians have three four openers? I've seen some pretty big headliners, usually one opener, sometimes two. Who's touring with four openers? Kathy says, you better be on time for the show, because I go right on at eight o'clock. I do two full hours. In fact, I do two hours when I'm a good girl, and they do two hours and fifteen minutes when I'm a bad girl. Mass Live was curious what happens during those fifteen minutes. Kathy, you know, if the audience is extra good, I make them pay. I make them pay the price by doing those few more minutes. But I love it. It's the only thing that gets me through. Even though all those years I was blacklisted, I was still writing stuff and planning stuff. I pitched every game show you can think of, every talk show you can think of, every sitcom you can think of, every reality show. Nobody bit not one single soul in seven years. Thank God for real live people that buy tickets with real life money, because now they're all eating crap and they're like, oh, Kathy Griffin just played fifty Cities. I have no love for my own industry, but I have nothing but love for the actual audience. The New York Times are reviewed at Leanne Morgan's recent book What in the World, A Southern Woman's Guide to Laughing at Life's unexpected curveballs and beautiful blessings, and they write and you may have questions, For example, is this one of those top tier comic memoirs like those from Tina Fey, Trevor Noah, and Steve Martin. The answer no, but it's got a frazzle charm and it works. Is it as funny as Morgan stand up? Not quite a hard thing about trying to be funny on the page, as posted in front of audience, is that you lose your delivery. Morgan's sweet tone southern accent has bestowed on her a world class delivery system. Gabe Iglesias talked to the Hollywood Reporter and said, nowadays people can take anything you say wrong, and that's the time we're living in. He used to worry about it. I was always looking on my phone reading messages. But the more I continue to do this, the more I realized that as long as you do what you said you were going to do, your fan base is going to be there. The people who disagree are the ones on the outside making all that noise. I can't worry about people who are not even fans, who don't understand what I do and how I do it, because people will watch a clip online all of a sudden they have an opinion. They don't realize that this person's been doing this for almost thirty years, and maybe there's a reason why they've been around so long. I've lost a lot of time worrying, and nothing that I ever worried about happened. The Holly reporter asked Gabe if he tweaks the material for where he's playing in the country, and he says, I'm always listening to see how things go over, but I don't change something. For example, he has a bit about guns. I don't try to make it so California's cool with it. I try to push this idea of Look, you might not agree with it, but let me tell you why I did it. I'm not just going to throw that out there. I'm letting you know that I start off the same way as you, and this is what happened to me that led me to go another way again, reacting to situations. So even if people disagree with certain ideas, you can't do agree with the person being affected by what's happening around them that led them to that. I don't think I'm losing anybody from that. When I say I'm a registered gun owner. I've had people in the crowd boo too. All I ask is you listen to my story, and if you still feel like booing me after I tell you my story, I welcome it. But to boom me without hearing the full thing makes you look like the bad person. So at least give me the opportunity to share with you why I'm this way, and then people are like, all right, and at the end of it, I've yet to get another boo. The thirty five seat Theater Public Displays of Altadena, known as PDA, was in the path of the Eton wildfire and was burned down. Some have called it the unofficial home of LA's a clown scene. Located in a strip mall alongside a liquor store in a pizza shop, the micro theater opened in twenty twenty two after a crowdfunding campaign. Ria Bamford recorded her twenty twenty three special Local act there. The owners are trying to figure out what happens next. Right now they are canceling things, trying to refund people. They've launched a crowdfunding campaign that's already raised over fifteen thousand dollars to try to find a new venue. A post on the GoFundMe page says, with your generosity and time, we pledged to rebuild PDA and come back stronger, more resilient, and ready to serve our community once again. While I was on the trip to Antarctica, Just for Last Vancouver announced a pretty cool lineup. I'm psyched to see that the reconstituted Just for Laughs is continuing with all the old programming. This is fantastic. JFL Vancouver, February thirteenth through the twenty third. Pretty snazzy lineup here including Jerry Seinfeld, come on on, Gianni, Tim Dillon, Margaret Show, Roywood, Junior, Pete Holmes, Master Browny. I mean this is great, Ashley Gavin, Brian Simpson, Sam Jay, Irene TiO, i'van Decker, Jay Jorden, and a whole bunch of others. Seventy plus shows Fantastic Just for Laughs, Vancouver, February thirteenth through the twenty third. If you are a longtime listener, you may remember this story. The Supreme Court of Canada has rejected a request to hear an appeal by Sylvie Gabriel. Gabriel had been seeking to reverse a lower court decision that dismissed her lawsuits seeking compensation from comedian Mike Ward. Jeremy Gabriel had become a celebrity in Quebec as a teenager after he appeared alongside Celine Dion and the Pope. Ward had mocked Gabriel in his act between twenty ten and twenty thirteen, joking at one point that he thought the boy's illness was terminal and people were only nice to him because they thought the boy would soon die. Canadian Supreme Court found in twenty twenty one that Ward's comments did not amount to discrimination under Quebec's rights. Shorter from chort All The Next Big Thing Award has listed ten comedians who could be the next Big Thing. The British Comedy Guide has picked Celia ab Dan, Tiernan, Josh Pugh, Katie Norris, Michael Attawalle, Oka Kach Patty Young, Rachel Fairburn, Rob Copeland and tarat Or is it Terrot ta Rot. The website had asked one hundred professionals for the acts they believed most represented the future of comedy. They got a long list. They've now cut it down to ten. That panel will now choose a winner to be announced on an unspecified date HMMs A mystery. That is your comedy news for today. If you enjoy the per I'm joining us in the Facebook group. It's daily comedy news podcast group. We can talk about stuff. I'll see you tomorrow