Speaker 1: On the morning of May twenty fourth, twenty nineteen, a woman dropped her five children off at school and returned home, just like she had done so many times before. But within a matter of hours, she vanished without a trace, leaving behind a house that suggested something had gone terribly wrong inside. As investigators began piecing together what happened, a timeline emerged that pointed not just to a disappearance, but to a carefully executed crime. And what followed was a case built on evidence, contradictions, and a question that still hasn't been answered. Where is Jennifer. This is the story of Jennifer Dulos.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material in more mature audience listener discretion. I need to stop doom scrolling on my phone so bad. I spent so much time just scrolling today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's pretty dang easy to do.
Speaker 1: It is. I just get sucked into this void and I hate it.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like I'm too bad, but often I'll go on like my photography page to look for something, and then ten minutes later, I'm like it's been scrolling and it's like, oh shit, what did I go on here to do? So if I go in there to look for something, I can get caught. But I don't feel like I tend to spend much time like doom scrolling.
Speaker 1: I think, like I don't have a problem with people consuming content. I like to consume content. I'm a content creator. I've spent time on social media.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with it, but I think I need.
Speaker 1: To make it a little more intentional. It's this like just like stuff that's just crammed in your face, this perfect analytic creation that the machine feeds you. Yeah, and you just get in this zombie state.
Speaker 2: I think I don't spend a lot of time because if I have a hot minute to go on social I'm the person that then has like fifty million reels that have been sent to me, so then I have to go and watch those.
Speaker 1: They're almost sure they're usually sent to you by me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah sorry, yeah, mostly by you and then a couple friends and stuff. So if I have a minute to doom scroll, I'm probably just going and checking these messages that people sent me with their doom scrolling.
Speaker 1: Which is yeah, fair enough, but I do want to say, if you want to curate your content not rely on the algorithm, you should head over to our patreon. So you got some cool content over there, just like Jennifer Whitmore, Melissa Smith, Cherry Kay Jen, and Jessica Carver all did. They went over there, they signed up, they get the exclusive behind the scenes. And today as this episode is dropping, also an exclusive episode is dropping over there on Patreon.
Speaker 2: Two. Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 1: You could be getting some more cool true crime content stories from us.
Speaker 2: You could get two on one day, which is pretty dope.
Speaker 1: That's like double the wickedness. H really is and it's not very grimp. Well, the stories might be, you know what I'm saying. Stories always are the stories are, and today, honestly, it's a little bit of a grim tail. Once again, I don't know if you're ready for this.
Speaker 2: I actually well, I was kind of listening to your intro, but I have no idea what the hell is going to happen, So well, let's do it.
Speaker 1: The intro I did leave it a little bit ambiguous. Try not to give too much away in the intros, because I've had some people tell me that I give too much away in the intros, so I'm trying to leave it a little bit more of a question mark hanging above it. If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Usually, if you read the description of the podcast, I give away a little bit more so if you, yeah, listen to the intro, read the description, you usually have a good, good feeling what the story's about. But I will say this one has a bit of a mystery still to the end of this story.
Speaker 2: Ah, I don't love that.
Speaker 1: It is a solved case though. Okay, there still a mystery to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: Well, most people don't end up in a completely different life overnight. It usually happens slowly. Things change a little bit at a time, and you adjust as you go. You get used to certain conversations or certain patterns and different tensions and things in your life, and before long, it just becomes a new part of your normal day to day. You still go to work, you still take care of your family, showing up where you need to be. The routines are all there. It's not like there's a single moment where everything clearly falls apart. It's more like a gradual shift that only really makes sense when you're the one living inside of it. At some point, though, you start to realize that things aren't settling back into place like they should be. The same issues keep coming up, the same feelings stick around, and you might try to ignore it for a while or convince yourself it's temporary, but eventually it gets harder for you to do that. You start thinking about what it would actually mean to make a change, and whether that's even something you can do, And when you finally decide that you are in fact going to move forward, it feels very practical and even necessary, like something just had to happen, even if it's uncomfortable or uncertain. It's a situation a lot of people can relate in many ways, trying to move forward, trying to make the right decision, and hoping that once you do, things will start getting better from there. In some cases, those changes, even if they are made for the right reason, they can lead to deadly results. In the late morning on May twenty fourth, twenty nineteen, things should have been very routine, just another week day, with the school drop offs being done and the house becoming a little quieter once again. When the nanny pulled into the driveway at Jennifer Dulo's home in this story in New Canon, Connecticut, about an hour northeast of New York City. Nothing seemed at a place. The house looked the same as it always did, but as she walked inside, small details started to feel off. Jennifer, for example, wasn't there at first. That alone wasn't alarming. She could have stepped out or gone to run some errands or something. But then her purse was still inside, and her phone wasn't being answered, And there was even a cup of coffee that was still left sitting there untouched. And then there were paper towels they were nearly gone. It wasn't one single thing, it was everything altogether. You know, the kind of feeling you can explain right away, but you know something isn't right when these things start to not add up. Now, before anything really felt wrong, before the eventual investigation and headlines, In fact, Jennifer Dulos had built a life that looked almost ideal to many. She was born Jennifer Farber in New York City in nineteen sixty eight into a wealthy and well connected family. Her father was a successful banker, her mother deeply involved in philanthropy and Jennifer grew up surrounded by opportunity, but the people who knew her didn't describe her in terms of money or status. They described her as thoughtful and creative, someone who paid attention to people in ways that made them feel seen. She went to Brown University, where she focused on writing, as it was something she cared deeply about. She wrote plays, she wrote essays, and later kept a blog where she shared pieces of her life, often centered around her children. She had a way of capturing small, everyday moments and turning them into something very meaningful. That was the life she wanted, not just success, but connection, family, and a home that felt full now. During her time at Brown University, that is where she met a man by the name of Potus Dulos. At the time, nothing came of their relationship. Their lives moved in different directions for years. But later and in the early two thousands, they reconnected, and this time things moved rather quickly. They fell head over heels for one another, and they got married in two thousand and four. Soon after that, they settled into a large home in Farmington, Connecticut. Over the next several years, they had five children together, and Jennifer stepped into the role of a full time mother, raising them in a life that seemed to have everything, space, security, opportunity, and most importantly love, and for a while it worked like a picture of the ideal happily ever after type life. She wrote about her kids often, things like their personalities and routines, and of course the little things that made them who they were. Her life became centered around them and it was everything she had ever wanted. But inside that life, things weren't as stable as they seemed. At first. The changes were subtle, nothing you could point to right away and say that's the moment that everything went wrong kind of thing. It was much more slower, and it was more of a gradual shift now. Fotus he had always been very ambitious. He built his career developing high end homes through his company for group, and he had an image that mattered to him. You know, how things looked and how he appeared from the outside. He had success, control and presentation to worry about. It was all part of it. Now. In the beginning, that drive felt like confidence, but it started to feel very different. With more time than passed. He was gone a lot. He was focused on work, a lot and on projects and maintaining a certain lifestyle, and as that part of his life expanded, Jennifer's world seemed to shrink smaller and smaller. She was at home, raising their five children, managing everything that came with it, and the balance between the two of them began to tilt, and with it came tension. There were ongoing arguments that didn't seem to resolve, with moments where things escalated further than they should have, with his behavior seemed to become more controlling and more intense. There were instances where he would become angry very quickly, and situations turned rather confrontational. Jennifer started to feel something. She didn't always say it outright, but in the way she wrote, in the way she described her life, that's where the hints were. A sense that things in Wonderland, if you will, weren't stable, a sense that something underneath the surface wasn't correct. And as time went on, that feeling didn't go away, it only grew. Now by twenty seventeen, the marriage had already been understrained, but it hadn't fully broken apart. But that changed when Fotus told Jennifer that he had been having an affair.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting that the.
Speaker 1: Woman he was seeing was someone named Michelle to Connus, and she had quickly become a central person in his life.
Speaker 2: Oh I hate that.
Speaker 1: Now this turmoil and infidelity wasn't something that stayed hidden and wasn't privately handled exactly. The relationship became very obvious and the situation between them was growing rather difficult. At one point, Fotus even actually suggested that his girlfriend, Michelle, well, his home wrecker of a girlfriend, I should actually say, he suggested that she should move into the house them, proposing that they all continue living together under one roof.
Speaker 2: Like he wants to live with his wife, girlfriend and his five kids under one roof.
Speaker 1: Correct, So we had got the shit. He has a home with his wife and five kids, and he's like, hey, what if my girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Moves in nobody That's not how it works, right, It just you can't have the best of both worlds there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it was a suggestion that clearly made it obvious how far things had moved and it was not something that was resembling a functional marriage for Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes me angry. That even that suggestion.
Speaker 1: There, with that suggestion, she knew this was a very clear line that was being marked. So whatever remained between the two of them, it was obviously officially over. And so in June of twenty seventeen she made the decision to leave. So she packed up her five children and moved out of that Farmington home and relocated to New Canon, Connecticut, and the following day she filed for divorce. Now what stood out in that filing wasn't just that the marriage had ended, but how she described it. See, Jennifer detailed what she believed had been a pattern of escalating behavior from her husband, Fotus. She described him as irrational, unsafe, and very controlling, especially increasingly so. Not to mention, she made it clear that she was actually afraid, not just of the situation, but what he might do. In this situation. She wrote that she believed filing for divorce would enrage him and that he would retaliate by trying to harm her in some way. This wasn't something written casually. I want to make that clear. It was very direct, a statement of concern documented in court filings. This is with her divorce papers. There were also specific incidents that were referenced and included. She alleged that he had purchased a gun, that he had threatened to take the children, and that during one confrontation, he even followed her into a room, blocked the exit, and physically intimidated her as she tried to leave. Now, Fotus, of course, denied that all of that actually occurred. He said that he had never threatened her, that he had never acted in a way that was dangerous or controlling whatsoever. Instead, he framed the situation as a breakdown in communication rather than something serious as what Jennifer was alleging. Now, from what he said, the focus should remain on maintaining a relationship for the sake of the children. But by that point, Jennifer was no longer trying to preserve anything as far as a relationship goes. She was focused on leaving and protecting herself and her children first.
Speaker 2: Well, fair enough, because he started that with the affair exactly right. He made that decision that they were not going to be moving forward in this for the sake of the kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he drew a line where the family was and he was trying to reshape it in a way that he wanted not what works in a marriage, right, a marriage you worked together. He was not working together. He was working for the sake of himself. Yeah, so with that comes separation. Now what followed from there was not a clean or quiet divorce. It quickly became something far more drawn out and even aggressive, you could say, stretching over months and then years, with both sides locking into legal battle that showed no signs of slowing down. At the center of this divorce was, of course, the custody battle over the kids. Initially, the court granted shared custody of the five children while the divorce proceedings move forward, but almost immediately Jennifer pushed for full custody, arguing that Photus' behavior made it unsafe for the kids to be in his care without any supervision. The whole thing started as a dispute over parenting arrangements, but quickly it turned into another prolonged fight, with filings, counter filings, and motions tot up over time. By the end, there were hundreds of court documents tied to this case, making it one of the most contentious divorces in Connecticut at the time. Now, as the legal proceedings unfolded. The whole situation became increasingly restrictive for fotus, and eventually Jennifer was granted sole custody of the children and his access was limited to supervised visitations. Now that was very significant, because not only had the marriage ended, but his role in the children's daily lives had been reduced in a very public and legal way to be enforced to well down to the bare minimum. At the same time, the financial pressure on him was building. Jennifer's family had previously supported his business ventures, including his real estate development company, and so the relationship began to deteriorate there as well, and that support actually turned into a legal dispute in its own self.
Speaker 2: Oh Goodness's okay, that makes it even more messy.
Speaker 1: It does, so soon a lawsuit was filed seeking repayment of millions of dollars, adding to a whole nother layer of pressure on top of the already unstable situation.
Speaker 2: But honestly, that's not surprising. Of course, they would probably support their daughter, right why not? So it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what happens in separations. Separations occur, but there's a lot more things tied to relationships finances, children's children's children, businesses, all these sort of things, companies. It gets messy.
Speaker 2: It's almost surprising that he didn't think that's true.
Speaker 1: I guess, but well, lots of time people don't.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 1: So now his finances were strained, and the legal cost from the divorce only made things worse. When it came to the court proceedings themselves, they were very intense. There were multiple legal teams involved, repeated hearings and moments where the conflict between Jennifer and Fotus played direct out in front of the judge, and at one point, after dismissing his attorney, Fotus even chose to represent himself in court, and that decision allowed him to personally question Jennifer under oath, turning what was a very tense process into another confrontation wide open in court. Now. During one of these early hearings, the judge overseeing the case actually took a very unusual step. After listening to hours of testimony, he paused the proceedings and he spoke directly to both Jennifer and Fotus. He acknowledged that they were very intelligent and capable people with resources and opportunities that many families didn't have, and he warned them about the direction of things and how they were headed. He told them in very simple terms that if they couldn't find a way to resolve these things themselves, the court would of course continue to step in, and that process would only make things harder, not easier. He urged them to consider how the situation would even affect their children, and what it would look like from the outside if those children were sitting in the courtroom watching this unfold for themselves. It was a moment that, in hindsight, felt like a warning, but unfortunately nothing changed.
Speaker 2: I'm just sitting here, though, and how you described this judge having to sit there for hours listening to this, right, that must be the one of the least fun jobs out there. I feel that would just be hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're being a mediator between two individuals who are doing he said, She said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who are hating each other. And oh, I just think it would give you a headache by the end of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the judge basically wanted them to just like suck it up, get this over with and move on with your lives already. I just picture like, like, you know, like a kindergarten teacher listening to two kids argue over at the playground over who's juice boxes who's and the teachers just like, I don't fucking care.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just think I would hate that. But honestly, I think that it's fairly common, right, I mean, there's a lot of emotions going into ending a relationship, and especially when you have kids involved in stuff, So I kind of get it, but I'm just like, that would just be hell to have to sit there and listen.
Speaker 1: To all of that, definitely. So there's it makes sense, Like you say, a lot of emotions and everything, but you've got to try and find the line, the common ground, if you will, and that common ground is it's very hard for people to find, especially when you have very messy situations like finances, like companies, like children in the picture. Now, if anything, this conflict only continued to escalate. The filings continued, the accusations continued, and what was supposed to be just a divorce had turned into a prolonged fight over control over the children, finances, and how the story would ultimately be told. And as the pressure continued to build, it created a situation that was just all unstable, as if everything was being pushed towards a breaking point that hadn't quite happened yet, but that pressure that was building, it was getting closer and closer to breaking.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: On May twenty fourth, twenty nineteen, it didn't begin with anything out of the ordinary, at least not from Jennifer's point of view. She woke up, she got her children ready for the day, and followed the same routine she'd done countless times before that. It was just before eight am when she left her home in New Cannon and drove them to school. At around seven to fifty eight am, she dropped her children off, and a few minutes later, just after eight am, she returned home. That moment, when she pulled back into her driveway would later become the last confirmed sighting of Jennifer. Now. Earlier that morning, more than an hour before she returned home, a red Toyota Tacoma had left a property connected to Potus in Farmington. Now, the vehicle did belonged to him directly, In fact, it was from an employee of his, But we'll touch on that vehicle a bit later. At approximately seven point thirty one am, Surveillance footage from that area near Jennifer's home captured a figure riding a bicycle in the direction of her street. Now, that doesn't stand out. People ride bikes all their time, especially early morning right getting your exercise. Yea, so it wasn't unusual. But later, when the investigators began reviewing the timeline, that detail it stuck out. But again we'll get to that. By the time Jennifer arrived back at her home just after eight am, whoever had been moving through the area earlier that morning was already there waiting, and sometime within the next two hours, between approximately eight h five am and ten twenty five AM, something happened inside her house, something that would shift everything. At ten twenty five am, Jennifer's black Shae Chevrolet Suburban was seen leaving the property. However, she wasn't driving it now. By the time the nanny arrived at the house later that morning, it was around eleven thirty am. As she pulled into the driveway, the house looked the same as it always did. It was quiet, but not unusual for that time a day with the kid's gone. Inside, though, things didn't feel right. Jennifer wasn't there like she usually was, which you know, it's not cause for alarm at first. Could be you know, her stepping out for the day or doing an errand especially after finishing dropping kids off at school, who knows. But that's when the details began to stack up. Her purse was still inside the house, there was a cup of coffee that would have been left sitting there, and it was untouched. And when the nanny tried to reach her, there was no response, no call back, no message, nothing. There were also signs that something had been used quickly, in large amounts. Paper towel, which was normally stocked in the house, well, it was nearly gone. It wasn't something that made sense on its own, but in the context of everything else, it added to the feeling that something had happened. It didn't quite fit the normal morning routine. The longer the nanny went without any response from Jennifer, the harder it became to explain these things away. See, Jennifer was someone who stayed very connected, especially when it came to her children. She didn't just disappear without letting someone know where she was. She didn't leave her belongings behind and ignore calls. So by early afternoon, concern had set in A call was soon placed and the situation was reported to police. At first, the situation was treated as a missing person's case. There was, however, still a possibility, at least early on, that Jennifer had left on her own, that there was some explanation that hadn't surfaced yet, But that possibility began to disappear as soon as investigators stepped inside the home and made their way into the garage. What they found there shifted the direction of the case. Immediately inside, officers found blood, a lot of it, and I mean a lot of it. It certainly wasn't minimal by any means, and it was very clear it wasn't accidental. However, it had been cleaned well enough that you may not notice it at first glance, but it was certainly there. Now. The blood covered an extensive area. It was found across multiple surfaces, on the garage floor, along the walls, and on the door leading into the house. It wasn't even contained to that just one area. It wasn't something that could be explained by a minor injury either or an isolated event. Forensic experts were in fact soon called in and they tested the blood, and DNA testing confirmed that the blood belonged to Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Mmm, okay, which is expected, but holy moly.
Speaker 1: Now, forensics also confirmed that there were patterns in what was left behind, Signs in the blood that something had happened quickly and whatever followed involved movement, perhaps a prolonged struggle. Areas had of course been wiped down, and attempts to clean the scene were very visible, but they hadn't been enough to remove the evidence entirely, which of course explains that missing paper towel. But then there was one detail that stood apart from everything else. On the kitchen faucet, investigators found a mixture of blood. It was confirmed to be a combination of both Jennifer's blood and someone else's. Now, this suggested that whoever had been involved in what happened in the garage had sustained an injury as well, even if it was just minor. Then they proceeded into the house to clean themselves up in the kitchen sink and accidentally left their DNA behind, and that's someone else. Well. The DNA was confirmed to be that of her ex husband, Fotus.
Speaker 2: It was hey, oh my goodness, this is just brutal.
Speaker 1: Now. It was a small piece of evidence compared to the rest of the crime. But of course, this being someone else's DNA, it carried a lot of weight. It placed him inside the home in a physical, measurable way connected to the same event that left so much blood behind. Now, remember this is not his house. This is Jennifer's place. This is where she divorced him and moved to.
Speaker 2: She moved away from the house.
Speaker 1: Okay, exactly, so there's much less reason for his DNA to be there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it shouldn't be there at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, at that point, the investigation was no longer about finding someone who might have left voluntarily. The condition of the garage made that extremely unlikely. The amount of blood, in fact, made it impossible to ignore what it suggested, and investigators began working under a different assumption that Jennifer hadn't simply disappeared, but that she had likely been killed and that Photus was somehow involved.
Speaker 2: This is always so hard to understand because this is the regard of the beef that you have with her, Like, this is the mother of your kids, So it just doesn't make any sense that you go about harming them, because like your kids obviously love her and meet her so what what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 1: You're harming more people than just the person you're targeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then also, buddy, are you stupid because you're very much so going to be the first one everyone looks at.
Speaker 1: Right obviously, Now, I do want to mention forensics Also, they found with the amount of blood left behind, that without immediate medical attention, Jennifer wouldn't likely not survive really, and there were no reports of her seeing or receiving any sort of medical attention whatsoever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, that's devastating.
Speaker 1: Now, investigators started reconstructing the morning of May twenty fourth as best as they could, looking at vehicle movements, surveillance footage, and phone activity. The goal wasn't to jump to any sort of conclusion, but to understand what had actually happened, you know, step by step, following the evidence and let it tell the story. And those steps were laid out and inconsistencies began to appear. Now, the suburban leaving Jennifer's home at ten twenty five am became a very central piece of this timeline. If she hadn't been seen after returning home just after eight am, then whoever had driven that vehicle had to have had access to the house, but the question was who could have been there during that window of time. Up to this point, the investigation had been building very slowly. Investigators were working through the timeline, examining the home, trying to understand what had happened inside that garage. There were strong indications that a violent incident had taken place, yes, of course, but there was still a need to connect the events to something more concrete outside the house, and that connection came later that same day through surveillance footage in Hartford. Now, on the evening of May twenty fourth, between approximately seven point thirty and eight pm, cameras captured a red Toyota Ta Coma moving through several areas of the city. The vehicle stopped multiple times along a relatively short route. At each stop, the driver would pull over near a trash bin, step out of the vehicle, and place a black garbage bag inside before continuing on to the next one. Now, of course, people throw away garbage every day all the time, but the number of stops, the spacing between them, and the deliberate nature of the movement suggested it was not a routine.
Speaker 2: Errand yeah, that's very ominous.
Speaker 1: It instead seemed much more methodical, as though the contents of those bags were being distributed intentionally rather than discarded in a single location. So they're spreading them out, trying to hide something likely. Now, as investigators reviewed that footage more closely, they identified the driver, and that was photus.
Speaker 2: Of course it was. You know, I don't know why my brain should have already predicted so much on this, I feel like, but I'm just sitting here a lot of on my own little world. And clearly he freaking dismembered her body, well, the bags and now is disposing of it.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, though, there was someone else on that footage too, Oh okay, there was someone sitting in the passenger seat of that red Toyota Tacoma and it was Michelle traconis his new girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Freck. Of course, it was now that.
Speaker 1: Immediately connected the activity in Hartford back to everything that had already been discovered earlier in that day. Investigators quickly began recovering the bags from each of the dumpsters at every single location seen on the camera, and what they found inside provided one of the cleanest links in the case so far. Now, unlike what you thought the contents were. In this case, the contents actually included items directly connected to Jennifer and the events that had taken place that morning, but not body part.
Speaker 2: Okay, so like wads of bloody paper towel maybe, Yeah, there were.
Speaker 1: Things like bloody clothing, things that had been cut apart, cleaning materials, tips, some paper towel, gloves, zip ties. All these things and several of these items were stained with crimson red blood, and DNA showed that it was in fact Jennifer's blood. Investigators also recovered altered license plates associated with her vehicle, indicating that the steps were taken again to disguise or conceal things and movements earlier that day too. The evidence from the garage was huge, and the evidence from the dumpster equally so, and it all showed that a violent event had indeed occurred, But the recovery of these items demonstrated that there was very much so a specific effort to try and dispose of material that were connected to the events, hiding what had happened, which means what happened inside that home did not end there. It continued outside into the world. But thankfully, instead of eliminating evidence, those actions created a clear picture of the truth, and they were thankfully recovered now. In the early stages of the case, there had been an effort to already establish where photos had been during that critical window of that morning. The evidence coming in with the security cameras, the DNA and everything else were very fantastic, yes, but they were already looking into him before all this came out now. At first, there were elements and evidence that appeared to place him away from new Canon, things like phone activity, movements tied to his property in Farmington, and other details. It seemed to suggest he had been elsewhere when Jennifer returned home, establishing a very possible alibi. But those details were examined more closely and the consistency began to break down fast. One of the key pieces of that investigators focused on was his phone activity. Records showed that his phone had been active in ways that showed normal movements and use during the time that Jennifer was believed to have been attacked. However, as interviews progressed and additional information came forward, it became clear that those records did not necessarily reflect his actual location, and investigators determined that his phone had not been in his possession the entire time. In fact, evidence showed that his girlfriend, Michelle, had been using his phone during key parts of that morning, so by making calls and sending messages, she had created a digital trail that gave the impression that photos was somewhere else, creating a false alibi. And at the same time, other inconsistencies began to emerge in Michelle's own statements that were being taken see during multiple interviews with investigators, her account of that day changed. Details about where she had seen Fotus, where he had been, and what they had done together did not remain consistent from one version to the next. In some instants, she even later acknowledged that earlier statements she had made were not accurate. Now other important discoveries added to that shift, and one was when investigators recovered handwritten notes that outlined a version of events that day. These notes, often referred to as alibi scripts, appeared to organize a timeline that matched in most parts what Michelle had told investigators. Some elements of the timeline aligned with known facts, others didn't, and the presence of these notes, what they suggested was that the account had been presented and planned that it was a rehearsed timeline of events.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes them well, I mean they're already in deep shit, but that makes it a little bit worse.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So, the policer are questioning her and she's giving a story of events, and they find this paper that they had prepared, already written out like a grocery list of what they're going to tell police. Was their story?
Speaker 2: Huh? And clearly though, she doesn't really do the best under pressure, for just the fact that her story is like periodically changing and it's not completely the same each time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very true.
Speaker 2: So she couldn't have probably planned for that, right, not knowing exactly how intense it would be being questioned by the police when you actually are a guilty piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're a home wrecker to start with, I have a feeling you're someone who can't really keep stories straight. You just are used to getting your way and getting away with things. So she's probably just like, oh, yeah, I got this, And in reality, when she's actually questioned, actually pressured, that's when you know, those inconsistencies the bullshit comes to surface. So now, of course, by the time investigators reached this point, they were no longer working with isolated pieces of evidence. The timeline had been built, the physical evidence had been analyzed, and the inconsistencies and the alibi were already being idea. What they needed to do now, though, was to put those elements together into a sequence that explained what had likely happened from start to finish, and hopefully from there they could essentially reverse engineer where they could find Jennifer now. Investigators believed that Potus left Farmington before sunrise in that red Toyota Tacoma that had been borrowed from one of his employees. At some point, he made his way towards New Canon, parking the vehicle away from Jennifer's home to avoid drawing attention from there. They believed he approached the area on bicycle, which aligned with surveillance footage captured earlier that morning showing a rider heading towards her street, and by the time Jennifer arrived home at eight am, he was already there waiting. According to the reconstruction, he had entered the property and waited, and when Jennifer pulled into the garage and exited her vehicle, the attack occurred. Shortly after. Based on the evidence found at the scene, investigators believed she was overpowered quickly. Zip ties were likely used to restrain her, and the extent of the blood indicated that the injuries she sustained were severe. Investigators believed that after the attack, he cleaned up some of the scene in the garage. Paper towels were used in large quantities, and areas of the scene had been wiped down, though not nearly thoroughly enough to remove the evidence. Then, once the process was done, attention to turn towards removing Jennifer from the property. The reconstruction then placed her inside her own vehicle, the suburban, which was then driven away from the house at ten twenty five a m. That movement aligned with surveillance footage showing the vehicle leaving the property during that window. Now, at some point after leaving Buchanan, investigators believed that Jennifer was transferred from that suburban into the Toyota to Coma. That red truck that was borrowed and the suburbs was then abandoned near Wavennee Park, where it was later recovered. The Tacoma meanwhile continued moving. Later that day, a surveillance footage would show it was used during the series of stops in Hartford, where the items connected to the crime scene were disposed of in those garbage bags, things including the bloody clothing, the cleaning materials, and so on so forth. Investigators also identified additional steps that suggested there was an effort to eliminate more evidence. The Toyota Tacoma was later cleaned, including a paid car wash, and parts of the interior were altered, including the replacements of seats, but still, despite those efforts, traces of Jennifer's blood were still recovered from the vehicle as well. Now, taken together, the reconstruction provided a very continuous sequence of events connected the early morning movements, the attacks inside the garage, and the removal of Jennifer from her own home, plus the disposal of evidence later that day. What it did not provide, unfortunately, was a final location. And despite the details of the reconstruction, and despite the amounts of evidence recovered, Jennifer herself was never found.
Speaker 2: Seriously, her body has never been found.
Speaker 1: Jennifer has never been found. Her remains have never been found.
Speaker 2: Like you're telling me that this frickin' guy that oh okay, this is making me very This part is pissing me off. Bake time. I mean, the whole story's pissing me off. But the fact that this is like the this. You guys have kids together, Yeah, and you're not allowing the kids to put their mother to rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I told you. At the very beginning, I said there was a mystery to this, and in the intro I even said and one question that still hasn't been answered is where is Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Well, the only thing that would explain this is if he was dead as well, because if he is literally just hiding this, holy frickin' crap, I'm pissed.
Speaker 1: I can tell you pissed.
Speaker 2: Also, I have absolutely no idea what the draw is. What's her name? Freakin Michelle?
Speaker 1: The draw?
Speaker 2: Her draw is to him? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I see is going about killing his ex wife who really hasn't done anything, and she still just wants to be with this guy, Like, are you kidding me that? If that isn't a red flag, I don't know what the hell is?
Speaker 1: No shit, I mean, I think they're a match made in heaven. Maybe who knows a couple of douche canoes?
Speaker 2: No kidding?
Speaker 1: Now. On June first, twenty nineteen, over a week after Jennifer initially disappeared, Fotus and Michelle were officially arrested. The initial charges were not for murder, though, but for tampering with or fabricating physical evidence and for hindering prosecution. At that stage, investigators were working with what they could to prove immediately, you know, while can you need to build a larger case in the time to come. But Fotis and Michelle, of course, they pleaded not guilty. However, as the legal process began, Potus took a different approach than many in his position might have because, rather than staying quiet, he made the decision to speak publicly. Because this guy clearly has a confidence of arrogance around him, so he decided he's going to talk about it.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I want to know what he has to say.
Speaker 1: Well, in interviews and statements, he acknowledged how he was being perceived, but he pushed back against it. He basically said that he understood why people saw him in this negative light, but he maintained that he had nothing to do with Jennifer's disappearance whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Okay, but there's a lot of evidence you know saying that you did.
Speaker 1: Yes, but at this time a lot of that evidence wasn't public, okay now. He even went as far as to suggest that she maybe had staged her own disappearance, referencing a scenario very similar to the novel and film Gone Girl. So the idea was that she planned everything herself, leaving behind the evidence to frame him.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't know her very well, but that does not seem like something that she would do.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not now. His attorney also spoke out, arguing that the timeline made it unlikely that Photos could have committed the crime. But I love that word unlikely, because you know what, there's always room for doubt. Right now. They pointed to what they described as an extensive alibi and suggested that the accusations did not align with the available facts. But as the months went on, the legal situation became more and more serious. In September of twenty nineteen, Photos of Michelle were arrested again on additional charges related to evidence tampering, which of course is where it comes with finding the things in the garbage and stuff, right. And then in January of twenty twenty, after months of investigation, and the accumulation of evidence. Authorities took the next step and they were officially charged with murder, capital murder, and kidnapping.
Speaker 2: This guy just disgusts me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I should correct myself there, I said they. Fotus was charged with murder, capital murder and kidnapping Michelle, however, and a third individual named Kent Mahini, which is a local attorney and longtime associate of Fotus, while they were both charged with conspiracy to commit murder. Now, by January twenty twenty, the case had reached a point where everything was beginning to close in. The investigation had been ongoing for months. At this point, the timeline had been built, the charges had escalated, and Potus was now facing the most serious accusations possible, and the case was moving towards a trial where the evidence would be tested in court. However, it never made it that far COVID. It was January twenty eighth, twenty twenty, when Fotus failed to appear for a scheduled emergency bail hearing. He didn't show up, and concern shifted quickly, and officers were sent to his home in Farmington to check on him. When they arrived, they found him in his garage. He was inside his vehicle and was unresponsive. A hose had been connected from the exhaust of his running car and the space had filled with carbon monoxide. Officers broke in removed him from his vehicle and began CPR before transporting him to the hospital. He was still alive, but he was in very critical condition. But then two days later, on January thirtieth, he died. Okay, you literally said it earlier. If he's not if he's still alive, like he better have a reasonable Yeah. I wanted to say something so bad when you.
Speaker 2: Said it, but well, I mean, okay, there are other people, well maybe not, I guess. I I'm just assuming Michelle would know where the body is, but I guess she may not have. But this guy, like way to just put your kids through the frickin' ringer, no shit, Like you're just destroying their life. Yeah, basically, I don't even know how you would move forward from this as a child. Yes, it would be tough, you could, but you're never going to be the same obviously.
Speaker 1: No, There's going to be a lot that comes along with this, and he being the asshole that he is, he put that on his kids, Jeez. Now, before he did commit suicide, he had left a handwritten note. In it, he maintained his innocence. He wrote that he had nothing to do with Jennifer's disappearance and stated that Michelle and Kent Mahiney with the other associate, were also not involved. He expressed frustration with a legal process. He said he refused to spend more time in jail for something he claimed he didn't do. But now with his death, the case was changing again. The charges against him could no longer move forward in the central figure of the prosecution theory was now gone, and with him went the possibility of a trial that might have proved a direct answer on what had happened to Jennifer, the very thing you concerned about. But thankfully the evidence did not disappear with him, and neither did the case. Prosecutors filed what is called a null prosecute. I hope I got that right. It is a Latin term meaning to be unwilling to pursue, which is a formal ending of the criminal case against him, because well, without him, nothing more could be done. Right, It was not an acquittal or a statement on the evidence though it was a simple recognition that a prosecution cannot proceed against someone who is no longer alive. They cannot be in court, it cannot happen. Even so, the investigation itself did not stop. The focus shifted to the others who had been charged in connection with Jennifer's disappearance, being Michelle Treconis, who had been arrested alongside Potus early in the case and was now facing the prospect of standing trial without him. Then also Kent Mahinny, that friend and attorney who had also been charged in conspiracy, which essentially was meaning he was involved in the planning and he remained part of the legal process as well. As the case continued forward, the role each person played became more defined. For Michelle, the focus it remained on her actions during and after the events of May twenty fourth. Investigators had already tied her to the timeline through surveillance footage, phone activity, and her own statements. Then there was the use of Photus's phone to create that alibi, her presence during the disposal of evidence in Hartford, and the inconsistencies. All of it made a very strong case against her. From a hinny, the allegations centered on the planning rather than the direct involvement. See investigators had uncovered evidence suggesting that he had knowledge of and may have participated in discussions related to the crime. At one point, they even found a shallow grave that had been discovered on the property connected to him, containing items such as lime and a tarp, which investigators believed could have been intended for the disposal of a body. However, as the legal process continued, the charges against Mahinny were eventually reduced. The state ultimately pursued a lesser charge of interfering with an officer rather than conspiracy to commit murder. He later pled guilty to that reduced charge and received a sentence that amounted to time already served in jail for Jennifer's family, though that outcome did not resolve the larger questions, I mean, where was she right? In statements made after the resolution of this case, they made it clear that while they supported the decision made by prosecutors, they did not believe it reflected the full extent of what had occurred. They maintained that Jennifer had been a victim of a planned and deliberate act, and that others may still hold information about what had happened to her and where she might be now. For Michelle's trial, it began in January of twenty twenty four years after the morning of May twenty nine, nineteen. Prosecutors presented the case step by step, laying out the sequence of events, the physical evidence, the actions that followed the attack, all of it. They showed the jury the surveillance footage from Hartford where Michelle was seated in the passenger seat as black trash bags were discarded across multiple locations with evidence and her DNA inside. They presented those items recovered from the bags, the clothing, the materials that were used for cleaning, and they connected them right back to what was found inside the garage. They also focused on the fake alibi, showing that she had used Photos's phone during key parts of that morning, creating the appearance that he was somewhere else. Investigators explained how that activity fit into the broader timeline and how it conflicted with the physical evidence from the home and movements of the vehicles. Jurors were shown how her interview statements had changed, how certain details had been corrected or withdrawn, and how her account of the day had not remained consistent as more information was becoming known. The handwritten notes outlining the version of events what investigators had described as the alibi scripts. They were also presented, showing that the story had been told falsely and was constructed rather than retold. The defense, on the other hand, argued that the evidence did not prove that she had known what had happened or that she had participated in the murder itself. They pointed to gaps in the case, including the absence of Jennifer's body, and challenged the interpretation of the evidence presented by the prosecution. But after both sides were done presenting their case well, the jury needed to make a decision. In March of twenty twenty four, the jury found Michelle Treconis guilty on all counts, including conspiracy to commit murder, evidence tampering, and hindering prosecution. She was sentenced to serve fourteen and a half years in prison within aditional five years of probation after that, marking the first full conviction in the case that had begun nearly five years.
Speaker 2: Earlier, but still not near enough.
Speaker 1: Not nearly enough.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not right in any way, but it makes sense I bet you anything that one of them at least knows where the body is. But why would they say, because then that's just going to make them look way more guilty. Right, So there's just no way it's going to come out, which is exactly horrible.
Speaker 1: The only way I think anything would ever come out if it does, because it still paints them in a bad light, is if a statute of limitations comes out. Now, in this case, when she does get out of prison or something like that, she could argue that, you know what, she was found guilty and she paid her dues. She did not murder, but she does know these things, she paid her due, she you know what it's done, So she could say, but I doubt she ever will.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, clearly these people aren't great, so why would they Clearly they're not right, so why would we expect them to all of a sudden do something good.
Speaker 1: I mean, guilt does get to people rarely, but it does.
Speaker 2: Ken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, the legal process reached its conclusion. The case had answers, but not the one that mattered most. Jennifer's body was still missing, and it still is to this day. She was officially declared dead in twenty twenty three years after she was last seen walking back into her home, and though that declaration brought a form of legal closure, it didn't resolve what her family had been living with since the very beginning. There was still no recovery, no confirmed location, no final understanding where she had been taken after leaving that garage. For her five children, the outcome of the case did not change would have been lost either. In the span of less than a year, they lost both of their parents, one to a disappearance that was never fully resolved and the other to his own actions before the case could be tried in court. They were ultimately taken in and raised by Jennifer's mother, moving forward in a life shaped by something they did not choose and could not control. Over time, they have spoken out about what they had lost and what it meant, not just the absence of their mother, but the way it unfolded, the anger, the confusion, the lasting impact of growing up without clear answers, and how it has remained part of their lives and something they were forced to deal with. Jennifer's family has continued to speak out to In statements released years after her disappearance, they have made it clear that they believed what happened to her was planned and very much so deliberate. They have also said they believe there are still people who know where they have buried her, where she was taken or disposed of, people who could provide information about where she is. Investigators continue to follow leeds, returning to pies and conducting searches long after the initial investigation, but each search has come up empty and the most basic question has yet to be answered, Where is Jennifer. Jennifer Dulos was a mother. She was a writer and a person who built her life around her children. The case that followed her disappearance became widely known, but for those closest to her, it has never been about the case itself. It has been about her and about the absence that has still not been resolved. And even now, years later, that absence remains, with Jennifer Dulos listed as officially dead and still missing. And that's a story of Jennifer Dulos.
Speaker 2: This one disappoints the shit out of me. Understandable, I feel like you've avoided eye contact for a little bit because I'm just like freaking pissed.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to yell at.
Speaker 2: Me like, holy frick, I don't know. I feel so so many like emotions like disappointed, furious, sad, confused. It's just it's yeah, this one.
Speaker 1: I mean, Frank, I do hope that one day her remains recovered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that would be great, Like, I mean, it's not going to change anything that's happened here, but at least they'll be like a site where the kids could go and you know, visit her or to rest, right, And because that's that would really be on your mind, wondering, you know, where, like where could she be, where could her body be? Like I don't yeah, that would be a terrible feeling. Yeah, so holy Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Hope regrets, I hope guilt, I hope something. I hope demons get to Michelle in prison and she she says something.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I guess there is obviously the possibility that someone could stumble across it to somewhere, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling that's unlikely.
Speaker 2: I really well, especially with time passing, right, if there was a grave of sorts, it's gonna with time look less and less like one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So I don't know. But I mean, look at it in this perspective. How many people have a have an attorney helping them plan a murder.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's kind of weird. I thought that was super odd.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I'm not saying he paid the attorney in any sort of capacity, but he clearly has connections with this attorney, and we know he had money. With money and power in that situation, you can do a lot. So who's to say that, you know what, he didn't have very good connections. He has a real estate company or whatever he was working with. Maybe he disposed of it remains at someone's.
Speaker 2: Prim or built. I think it was a built. It was building. Yeah, we're building homes, so yeah, right there.
Speaker 1: So maybe she's in someone's foundation of a home right now and we will never know.
Speaker 2: Gosh.
Speaker 1: Now that's clearly just speculation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's it's quite a large possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Most people in these situations, they're like, oh, I don't have the resources. It was just anger, you know whatever, and it's there. They dump them somewhere twenty kilometers or a few miles away, or dig him in their backyard. This guy had a he had much more resources at his disposal and the possibilities are much greater.
Speaker 2: Well, and did this guy actually think that he was going to get away with this?
Speaker 1: I guess so, even in death, he's thinking he's getting away with it. That's how he's escaping this.
Speaker 2: He's arrogant.
Speaker 1: He's self deleted, thinking, oh, I'm just going to write a suicide note clear my name and those others who are also associated with it. And because I killed myself, it's probably gonna look, you know, a little more believable, and it'll all be good. No, that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just wild that somewhat. I think that someone could be is arrogant the right word, so deluded, delusional to think that this would just they could just do this and go on living their life.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of words I can use to describe it, and I'm not even talking about profanity, because trust me, that's a whole pfora I could probably pull up like a library, or I could write a book about all the names I want to call these people. But I think there's like arrogant. I think it's a great one. I think he's narcissistic. I think his suicide note is nothing but gaslighting. As well, those sort of things, the terms on his personality, the behaviors, it's extensive.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, Jennifer spent her the majority of her life raising the family that they wanted, right, So she sacrificed, you know, you know, having a career or whatever, let him do that while she raised all the kids. And this is what he returned, like doesn't in return.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And all she wanted was that family, that love, that home. And she wrote so much about her home life, her experience, her kids, and in the separation, he was trying to take that from her.
Speaker 2: Which I hope that the kids, I mean, I'm sure they do, but have some of that writing, you know, of hers that they can kind of like look back on and read and remember her and stuff.
Speaker 1: So I hope so too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you guys for being here. I'm just going to say a little cheers to Jennifer. Hopefully she gets found one day, and if she doesn't, I hope she rests in peace. But thank you for being here. Don't forget to look at the description of this podcast. We have website, we have social media is if you want to send us your thoughts and opinion on this episode, please feel free. We're an independent podcast. We get to do this because people like you are here supporting us, so thank you so much, and until next time, stay wicked a bo