Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family. Let's not play one on Tom. Let's wind it.
Speaker 3: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 2: So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 4: Your attention, your fire, and not a piss. This is world champion, Dodger, world champion thing.
Speaker 5: Put a small soft time they get up people what they want to die to in a row two is special.
Speaker 6: I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache.
Speaker 7: One of them.
Speaker 6: Con this ball's gone.
Speaker 4: You ready to go old time, go to the sound grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven.
Speaker 6: And go to the show.
Speaker 4: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Basse.
Speaker 7: We are live at Dodger Stadium after the Yankees salvage the last game of the series this weekend in the World Series matchup, rematch, whatever you want to call it, seven to three, the final score tonight on Sunday Night Baseball at Dodgers Stadium in front of the largest crowd we have seen at Dodgers Stadium this season, their ninth sellout of the year, fifty four thousand and thirty one, and look, I hate to use that cliche, but it's baseball. Who would have thought the Dodgers would have been able to come back against Max Freed on Friday night? They were able to do that. Who thought the Dodgers would score eighteen runs yesterday coming into this series?
Speaker 5: Nobody.
Speaker 7: I felt like this was the game that the Dodgers were pretty much guaranteed to win with Yamamoto on the mound, and luckily for the Dodgers, they came back against Max Freed on Friday night because I felt like the momentum, the focus, the energy this stadium gave the Dodgers after kind of an average road trip really carried over into Saturday night's game. And if the Dodgers don't win that game on Friday.
Speaker 5: What are they doing yesterday?
Speaker 7: Okay, they win, let's say they beat Will Warren, which they probably would have. I felt like the offense was going to win yesterday's game like they did. You come into tonight's game and randomly Yamamoto doesn't have a feel for his split fingered fastball or curveball, and he pitches his shortest outing of the season and is his most ineffective of the entire season, And if you're wondering about any residual about the play at first base in Cleveland, where Dave Roberts said after the game he may have, you know, stretched out his hip flexer a little bit, that had nothing to do with it. I was assured of during the game tonight because I spoke to a Japanese media member who used to pitch in Japan is still very tight with Yamamoto. He told me that Yamamoto expressed to him yesterday that there was no issues with his hip. It was just one of those nights where he didn't have feel for his wipeout pitch, his split fingered fast or his curveball. Hard way to live and you'd rather have that happen on June first than October first, when the Dodgers are going to be in the postseason. Happens to everybody, and Yamamoto really relies on that split finger fastball. He's relied on that curveball a lot, and it just wasn't his night tonight. And that's why I go back to Friday night, how monumental of a win that was to come back against Max Freed and carry that over into last night's game, and take two out of three from the Yankees. The Dodgers have got to feel good about themselves about the way they played for the most part this weekend, despite the first couple of innings tonight not sharp defensively and he Pahz airmailing a throw from left field, Keik Hernandez not being able to hold onto the ball after Yamamoto did a great job of backing up that airmail throw by Pahz. Kik would have had that runner dead to right set second base, but the ball flipped out of his glove uncharacteristically, and Will Smith had a pass ball, there was a wild pitch. It just was sloppy the first three innings, along with compounded with the fact that Yamamoto just didn't have his best stuff tonight, and the Yankees are the best team in the American League, and hard to expect the Dodgers to sweep three games this series, taking two out of three. I think all of you would be very happy about that. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventies the phone number. Like I said, a couple of unusual things happened tonight that we haven't seen.
Speaker 5: All year long.
Speaker 7: Number one, Yamamoto and his shortest outing of the year, and also the Dodger offense, in particular, their first four hitters going hitless for the first time this season in the same game, even without Mookie Betts, you would expect Taoskar Hernandez at least to get a hit. He had owned Ryan Yarborough in thirty six at bats coming into the game tonight. That's baseball. He had hit seven home runs off a Yarborough in thirty six at bats tonight. Ta Oscar hitless as well. Freddie was really good the first two games of this series hitless. Will Smith one of the best hitters. I mean, you're looking at Freeman and Will Smith coming into the game tonight, a three seventy four hitter, the best in the National League and the second best hitter in the National League, Will Smith hitting three forty two hitless. So the first four hitters of the Dodger offense tonight a combined oh for sixteen. First time this year we have seen the first four hitters in the Dodger lineup go a combined over in the same game, OH for sixteen, oh for fourteen. Over In the first four batters in the same game, Freddie Freeman was tremendous in the first two games of this series, a combined five seven with three doubles, three run score two RBIs tremendous base running in the first two games, and he certainly has become public enemy Number one in the Bronx after beating the Yankees last year with that walk off grand slam here in Game one and winning the World Series MVP homering and for the first four consecutive games of the World Series last year. And that even caught the ire of former actor Nicholas to Turo, who is still an avid Yankee fan. He took to Instagram all week and long and frustration of the Yankees not being able to get Freddy Freeman out.
Speaker 6: Can anybody get Freddy freaking Freeman out?
Speaker 5: That was Nicholas to Turo, just a sample. Can we hear that again?
Speaker 6: Callin, get Freddy freaking Freeman out.
Speaker 7: Hey, when you're getting that from a New Yorker, I mean that that is special.
Speaker 5: Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 7: You've accomplished a lot of things, but now you're on New York's radar. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs right now to the Yankee Clubhouse to hear from former Dodger Ryan Yarborough, who really had them tied up in knots today.
Speaker 2: Brian, you came back to Dodger Stadium kept one of the toughest lineups quiet and how were you able to do it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think we had a really good game plan between the coaching staff, me and Welsey, So just a matter of execution and you know, keeping them off balance and not putting them in counsel where they can really hunt for certain pitches. So I'd really just tried to tack the guys and say, had got seventeen swings and misses today, seven on the sweeper. When did you learn that was going to be an important pitch for you today? I think it was just part of the game plan, you know, like it was something about just really trying to like speed them up and then using it to slow them down keep them in between things. So it just really was effective, and you know when you saw that, it just really tried to continue to use it.
Speaker 2: You and yamam Ore obviously very different pitchers, but what do you enjoy about a matchup against a guy like that?
Speaker 3: I think it's just more cool, especially just from playing with them last year. But even like when I've faced gram earlier, it's more of a just kind of looking at it afterwards, but it's more about just like looking at their lineup and attacking that way. It's kind of just more kind of seeing who the matchup is. But it's more about just facing their lineup than the guy on the mound. Aaron had mentioned, you've made a couple of tweaks since you've gotten over here with the Yankees, just anything in particular that stands out that's really helped you. No, Like, it's been really more about just like really game planning and have an understanding of like how everything had works and moves. Maybe little tweaks like pitches, but nothing like super crazy, just really understanding how everything moves and the game planning and really utilizing my whole arsenal.
Speaker 8: There's were familiarity helped it all to being an ext dodge or knowing the players.
Speaker 3: I think it definitely can help just from seeing them on an everyday basis, But like I said, just really having a good game plan of like going into it. What they've done really well this this series, and I'm just trying to understanding of what I do well and keeping them off balanced. So that was the biggest thing.
Speaker 8: We think it means to get out of here with a win after two tough nights, to go home six and three road trip, as opposed.
Speaker 3: To yeah, I would have sweet one hundred percent. Now, I think it's always good, especially when you want to end on especially with this long of a flight and I don't know a good win, so it's always great. I think that was the biggest thing, is understanding. We had a hell of a road trip six and three, so especially this long of a West coast trip, so uh really excited about that, and you know you always want to end on a win.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 7: There's Ryan Yarborough on Yes Network after tonight's win for the Yankees.
Speaker 5: Yarborough a good guy.
Speaker 7: I really enjoyed being around him with his time with the Dodgers, and he did everything they asked of him. Be a piggyback starter, be a three inning closer, be a starting pitcher. I mean, he was very flexible and versatile. And now he's on that five day routine, which I'm sure also has helped him. He's three and oer now this year with an era of two eighty three after going six innings tonight and allowing just a solo home run to Tommy Edman in the second inning tonight. Eight six, six, nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to your own. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 6: Hi, your own, Hey, David.
Speaker 2: Good to be on the call as a Yankees fan.
Speaker 1: I was really happy to be there.
Speaker 3: My daughter is a Dodgers fan, so she wasn't as happy to be there today.
Speaker 8: But I was really just going to see if you had.
Speaker 6: A chance to read the Marvin Miller book.
Speaker 7: Hey, yourn, my guy from f forty five. I've dove into it. Hey, I'm glad you brought up Marvin Miller because Scott Boris obviously admires Marvin Miller. And how about Scott Boris making a play laid in the game on a foul ball that could have been his slide, his Milwaukee Slide moment. If he did not catch that cleanly.
Speaker 2: That was Yeah, I gotta return that book.
Speaker 5: To you your own.
Speaker 7: Marvin Miller a great man in uh in players labor relations. But yeah, definitely, and I'm glad you got to see uh. You know, just a token Yankees win tonight because it's been a while here in LA.
Speaker 4: It has been a while, and uh, I had no hope going into today's game.
Speaker 6: So I'm I'm very relieved to.
Speaker 2: Know that we actually can win at least one game against the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 7: That phone call does not upset me or any other Dodger fan for a while. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And I'm a firm believer that if the Yankees and Dodgers saw each other again this year in the Fall Classic, I still believe the Dodgers are living rent free in their heads. I mean, listen to Nicholas to Touro, a Yankee fan, this is what Yankee fans are thinking about.
Speaker 5: Twenty four to seven.
Speaker 6: Can anybody get Freddy freaking Freeman out? Can anybody Freddy freaking Freeman out?
Speaker 7: No, the Yankees cannot get Freddy Freeman out. The only guy that could get him out was Ryan Yarborough. Tonight eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Jose Mota is gonna join us here in five minutes, but I want you to keep in mind how thin the Dodger bullpen is, especially right handed relievers. The Dodgers closed out this game, albeit behind, and you can't use the high leverage guys when you're behind and when you're ahead, despite what you believe, but they had journeyman relievers out on the mound tonight against the Yankees on Sunday Night Baseball because of so many injuries to their bullpen. Lou Trevino, Noah Davis, Chris Stratton, those were the names that were on the mound for the Dodgers to close out this game. Because of the number of injuries the Dodgers have sustained to their bullpen. People just want to lump in how many pitchers are on the il for the Dodgers. Well, some of those guys were hurt last year. That's a little leading and a lot of those guys are young starting pitchers and obviously they matter. But in the here and now, when it comes to the Dodger bullpen specifically, they are very thin. And that's part of the reason why Andrew Frieman pulled the trigger on a by low trade for former All Star Alexis Dias, who is working with the Dodgers at Camel Back Ranch to get his delivery straight and hopefully come back to form where he was with thirty eight saves last year. But you look at the Dodger bullpen. They're going to be without Evan Phillips the rest of the year with Tommy John surgery. Are they going to get Blake Trenning back. He's out with the right shoulder injury until maybe August September. They lost Luis Garcia today with a right adductor strain. Garcias pitched in half of the Dodger games this year, and he's thirty eight years old. You can understand why he has a right adductor strain. Kirby Yates is on the il with a right hamstring injury. Guardo Enriquez has a mysterious broken left foot. He actually pitched today for Oklahoma City. So did Michael Kopek and his ninth appearance rehab appearance. You would imagine nine rehab appearances. You're good to go, especially when the Dodgers need you. So I would expect Michael Kopek to be back during the Mets series and sooner rather than later, hopefully on Tuesday, because he pitched today. They're not going to activate him tomorrow. Bruce dar Gradral had off season shoulders surgery. So that's who's missing for the Dodgers in their bullpen. Just remember that. Also, just want to give you an update on another one of those starting pitchers that had Tommy John surgery last year. Emmett Shechan had his first outing with the OKC comments tonight and he was fantastic. In three innings of work. He did not give up a run, allowed just two hits, had five strikeouts, and retire the first eight batters. He he should be returning after the All Star break and be a weapon for the Dodgers, either out of the bullpen or in the starting rotation. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. More of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy and we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Yankees salvage the final game of the series seven to three winners over the Dodgers on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy, LA, sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 8: He is one for three. The double in a strikeout. First pitch lace left field toward the corner, it stays fair and it is gone.
Speaker 4: Andy Potz jumps on.
Speaker 8: The first pitch from Lolizaga. He's going deepen back to back games. Home run is a solo shot and as eleventh of the year, makes it six to two.
Speaker 7: David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium after an exciting weekend of baseball between the Dodgers and Yankees. The Dodgers beating the Yankees in the World Series last year and take two out of three this weekend at Dodgers Stadium, despite losing tonight seven to three. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Just want to remind you about our friends at Daniels Jewelers. They always present the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy lasports dot com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. All right, let's go out to our guy, Jose Moda.
Speaker 4: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 7: All right, Jose Mota feels like we're all at peace with away. Things went tonight. Not much you can do when Yamamoto on characteristically doesn't have a feel for his money pitches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very obvious that something was not a line right with him. David, there's no doubt about it. I know you mentioned the fact that you got clearance that it was not about the hit, but something just didn't seem right. When you have a guy that comes into the man who was seventy five strikeouts and sixty four innings and it takes him sixteen batters to get the first strikeout, to me, something's not right. And the one thing to me was actually, as I made my nose in the first inning, he had very poor armside command and he needs his sinker, He needs to force Himan to run in, he needs the curvebo to land in different spots, and today he just didn't have it. So you know, it's one of those days, very incorrect circuit for him. When he watched people and they scored and talked about walks. I mean four of those seven walks turned into runs for the Dodgers overall. So not a good combination when it comes down to the pitching and the way that y'all broke through the vegic ball game today.
Speaker 7: All right, even with all that he said in the first inning, Yamamoto could have got out of it with not as much damage. After Andy Pa has airmailed that throw from left field A and then b Key k Hernandez could not come up with the final out in that first inning after Yamamoto was phenomenal backing up the throw, how much did that change the way things went in this game? And Andy Pai has been thrown out in the second inning before Edmund's home run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for Yamamoto, I went back and looked that cost him eight extra pitches six seven on Volpion then one on Austin Wells. You just never know if those pitches were crucial and not enforcing issues that he just didn't have. The one thing that Yoshi does so well is if something is not working, he's not gonna go out there and just make it work just because yes, he's not gonna throw splitters just because he gotta throw splitters. He's got to set everything up by his fastball. Also, as you mentioned defensively, Dave, those were plays that the Dodgers know that they need to clean up and be better about. Oti pay We know has a reputation now all around the league and around baseball to be a stopper. He will stop the base running in the aggressiveness from base runners. But now he can tun it down a little bit more and just know that you still got to think about a cutoff man. You can still get people out by throwing the one hop of the home plate or second base, the third base, that doesn't matter. But Yamamoto, as he mentioned it, the right thing, which is something a lot of pitchers are not doing nowadays, backing up basis and he had every single chance to throw him out. He actually took his time because near the umpire Chris Conroy to get out of the way, and you still threw a bullet down to Kiki Whu misplayed the ball and it was pretty much one of those days.
Speaker 7: Almost as shocking as Yamamoto not having his stuff. Tonight was the first four hitters going hitless for the first time this season. What was Ryan Yarborough doing so well? We had heard about his change up, but it wasn't the change up tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, I spoke with Aaron Boone today before the game and he told me there's some things that we found in him that he's going to be implementing. And one thing that the interview that yarbro down played David is he pays a lot of attention to details. He needs to be on spot. He knows this lineup so well, so he knew exactly how to expand show hate first inning big swings, and it seems like the slow to throw the show had the bigger the swings get He played right into that. Also, he talked about one thing, guys like Tascar, guys like Freddy, you want to speed him up. You want to speed him up because big about what the Dodgers did to you know, heartthrow in ninety seven to ninety at Max Free They sped up. But he doesn't slow him down because he had no come out of the breaking balls. Today. Different story. You speed him up and then you throw the offs stuff and just not shine away from the plate either. I mean, he threw on the edges quite well. He has the swings and misses the lazy fly balls and even coming into this game, a lot of self contact, a lot of weak swings, and he played right into what they he wanted to do with him by working ahead and getting back into counts by being aggressive too with different pitches.
Speaker 7: After pa has and Monthsye homered in the seventh inning, Jose, you know, even before that, I felt like this offense is too good to count out against anybody's bullpen, and that proved to be true. They pulled the Dodgers within three runs going into the bottom of the eighth inning. I thought it was a great move by Dave Roberts to go for it, having Kim pinch hit for Rojas to lead off the inning. Unfortunately he struck out, but I couldn't believe that he wouldn't attempt a bunt with the left side of the infield wide open to get on base against Devin Williams to set the table for Otani.
Speaker 2: It's a very good point for Kim as we kind of see him escalate step by step on getting to getting use of big League the style of play in the speed of the game. That's gonna be an aspect that he needs to have, and was actually talking to a translator to himself over an Arizona about this. And one thing to mention is over in Korea he showed bun a lot, even though he did not become a you know, like a prominent bunner. But by showing bond you gotta draw those corners in and slap some balls. My guys that otherwise the ground balls to the corners, right. But he's going to learn that, David. And there's no doubt. Also, you got to go out there and think about who you're pitching, who you're hitting against. God like Williams. If you throw the change up as good as he is when you bumped, you sow everything down. You can actually carry the ball with you on the right side, push it down the less up. But eventually those things will come with him because he knows he's got to be a table setter in a top of situation, Jose.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers got the Mets again a four game series here at Dodgers Stadium. How important is it for them to keep the level of energy and focus high and not let down after everything that came with Dodgers Stadium this weekend. The largest crowd of the weekend tonight, the biggest crowd this season. How important is it for the Dodgers not to let down and get a good start from Dustin.
Speaker 2: May Bot to go out there and get his six seven innings, and also keep the intensity and playing good baseball. Games like today actually are a little bit of a good thing that happened to just pull you back and let you know that scolling is not easing in the big leagues. Catching the baseball is a premium. You know you started, pictures will be on spot. Your leverage. Guys need to go on and throw strikes. And throwing strikes is going to be key against a team like the Mets because they do not give up a lot of runs and they are, you know, one of the best stats in all of baseball. So expect some low scoring games, but execution needs to be at a max. But I have no doubt this team will put this game behind it and go out there and go get him for four games against the Mets.
Speaker 7: All right, Jose, we'll see you back out here tomorrow night. Thanks a lot for checking in on there, he goes, Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Dodgers fall to the Yankees tonight, seven to three, let's take one more phone call before we say goodnight.
Speaker 5: Abby. Who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? Abby?
Speaker 7: Before you give me your baseball hot take, I'm curious. Did you try the New York milkshake here at Dodgers Stadium? It's the Canoli milkshake. I heard it was really good.
Speaker 1: I thought it. I did not have it, I said, with a whipp Yeah, I was sitting in the top. So I decided for a doll whip.
Speaker 5: Good choice. What do you have for us tonight?
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I was at the game on Friday, and I was so excited and so like prilled with the comeback, and I kept thinking the entire time, David was so weird. Before this we had started, I thought the only game we were going to win with the Yamamoto game. And then yet what we swept? I mean we almost wept. And I kept thinking today, Oh, we got this game because of the Yamamoto and I don't want to put it all on him. Obviously. There were so many defensive mistakes as well. I couldn't even I didn't what happened. And then there was no offense either. Like the bottom half was great at the end, but like none.
Speaker 7: The reason why I'm not like overly emotional, Abby, Sometimes you lose baseball games over the course of one hundred and sixty two and yes, sometimes you will lose baseball games to the best team in the other league that has really good players, like the Yankees do. So I feel like it was a successful weekend series against the Yankees, especially after the way things ended on the last road trip. So I think we all can be very content with two out of three against the Yankees.
Speaker 5: The way the Dodgers won those two as well.
Speaker 1: I understand, And it was definitely like I was going into this game, especially because of the huge clouds for yesterday. Every single time as a huge droughts, you know, they kind of have this moment with the offense, I feel because they're so tired. But I kind of felt.
Speaker 5: Like, at least you got a doll whip. At least you got a doll whip tonight. Abby.
Speaker 7: All Right, you saw them come back against Max Free on Friday and he got a dull web tonight. I feel like it was a winning weekend for you as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I can't help, so you don't think there's anything wrong with you on my helpwise, right, because I'm scared about it.
Speaker 5: I mean, not with his hip.
Speaker 7: I was assured it's not his hip, So I don't know how everything else is feeling. But it wasn't his hip. That wasn't the excuse tonight. He just didn't have it. So we'll see. We'll see how he feels tomorrow. Thanks for the phone call, Abby, We'll keep you updated. Coming up tomorrow, the first of four games against the Mets. Jan Soto at Dodger Stadium in a different uniform for the third time in his career. That's right, he was with the Nationals in nineteen with the Padres the last time he was at Dodger Stadium. Actually, this is the fourth uniform Nationals, Padres, Yankees, and now Mets.
Speaker 5: How about that?
Speaker 7: And his agent, Scott Boris might make another play in the front row Tomorrow night, Dustin May on the mound against Paul Blackburn Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten on Tommy Edmund NLCS.
Speaker 5: MVP Babblehead Night. I actually like this Babblehead.
Speaker 7: I'm not giving this one to my kids unless I get an extra one. I'm keeping this one. Thanks to Colin Ye and who's back there, Colin Daniel West. No relation to Jerry, no relation to Adam, I would assume. Thanks to Doyle McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium. Thanks to you for listening. In case you missed our pregame conversation with twenty seventeen Rookie of the Year and twenty nineteen National League MVP Cody Bellinger. Yeah, we caught up with Cody. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers fall to the Yankees seven to three. Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Sea playing