Speaker 1: Another great story based on Frederick H. Collins called me write the book the FBI in Peace and War, Drummer rills, action, Tonight's story, Room for Improvement, and there are.
Speaker 2: But rocking them all one that I had the color scratches at Comical, which Lac Baron and the poor Ketley old and rosing guy.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna think I should rocking him.
Speaker 2: The quarter at Doc Cloud. That's me and Honey hoyt.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: It's to Keller. Sorry, I kept you waiting. That's all right. I just helped myself to you magazines and Scotch Wood how they're doing. Just running it now? Honeyboy, got a call. Oh it's Keller. This here is Shorty, Shorty. This is a gent I've been telling you about.
Speaker 1: Please to meet you, mister Callot. You say something about Scotch.
Speaker 2: I did, Mister Beeman, I'd be delighted if you join me. You wouldn't be delighted. And he's not joining you. And you can save the executive approach. It's wasted. I'm Shorty all right, I'll save it for my legitimate customers. Mister Beeman, you understand what we're going to do. Call him Shorty, you understand, Shorty, I understand, and they get five hundred times out of Shorty.
Speaker 1: Yes, I understand.
Speaker 2: I told him, Shorty, what kind of home? Huh? Your house? What's it worth? Thirty five?
Speaker 1: Maybe forty thousand. He's not trying to buy, Shorty ten thousand five?
Speaker 2: All right, now, what do you do? Well? Tomorrow some time I'll come to your company. What's the name, Shorty?
Speaker 1: The name? Oh, I got that card here in my pocket.
Speaker 2: Never mind it the mid Straight Home Improvement Incorporated. I remember. Now I come there, ask to go for the president for me, shorty, mister Keller. Then then I make our purpose for an improvement loan on house, that's right, improvement on what my wife's.
Speaker 1: Peddled, and and a new playroom and the fellow for kids.
Speaker 2: Oh, you have a family, No, he hasn't. No family and no wife need it makes a difference, no difference, Harry. Okay, Shorty, that's awfu. Now, mister Keller will see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I the barns to Kellor.
Speaker 2: It's a real pleasure to think. Sorry, here in my office anytime between the nine thirty and five, I'll be waiting. I'm me there five anywhere do you get him. I'm sorry, Jim. Only the better class clientele don't owe me. I owe you. I'm not a better class client a resident company, not include. Oh, I don't worry about Shorty being and he's okay. I'm not worried. He's perfect. Can't thank you enough, Harry, nothing to thank you. Owe me a pile my way to insure it, that's all, Harry. Yah, you didn't tell him the size of the loan I'm getting for him from Uncle sam Boy. He'll just get the check, sign it, pass it over to you for five hundred bills. What's the trouble, No trouble. I was just thinking the respectable man was a big family like that. His home may need more movements. And I originally thought, you've got your nerve. I'll give you that. You have to have nerve when you're in the hole as deep as I am. You're taking my bed on the fight to night engine you name it as usual. Five thousand on Young Sullivan. That's a lot of out risk on it in an hour. What's the difference A sweet setup like this? You got to win one way or the other. Just keep feeding me. Cooperative customers Harry, and there's no telling where this can go. In the summer of nineteen fifty three, a clever new kickback bracket had its origin in the pugument operation of a firm calling itself mid State Home Improvement Incorporated. This operation was especially geared to deport the government through false applications obtained from homeowners for FAHA Title I loans. When the Bureau was initially called in, we found little to go on. But as our preliminary investigation mushroomed, it focused on four individuals James Keller, president of the mid State company, me a bookmaker named Harry Nemo, Keller's teenage daughter Mary Francis, and a particularly ambitious young salesman of the firm named Eddie Norris.
Speaker 4: You like it, miss Keller, Oh it's gorgeous, fabulous, mister Norris. But but I can't accept them?
Speaker 3: Why can't you?
Speaker 5: But I just can't, that's all said.
Speaker 3: Your father wouldn't approve.
Speaker 5: Mister.
Speaker 3: The name is Eddie. Don't make a couple of earrings.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it looked nice for you. I think anything looked nice I knew, Miss Keller.
Speaker 5: I think yeah nothing.
Speaker 1: Do you think what what miss Keller.
Speaker 4: I think they'd look nice to.
Speaker 3: Mister Eddie well Man, how about a little Oh please.
Speaker 5: Don't someone might Well, I shouldn't be here in the office to begin with.
Speaker 2: What's the difference?
Speaker 6: Nobody's You want me to have your father phone you.
Speaker 2: And miss Keller? Oh, Daddy, Oh, Mary, I didn't expect to see you here.
Speaker 4: Then, Well, I guess phoning won't be necessary now, mister Norris, Oh, I know you didn't, Daddy, but I thought i'd take a.
Speaker 5: Chance and find you in I was shopping downtown.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad I got back here in time. Sit down, and they sit down, and as you excuse us, s kell No, don't.
Speaker 5: Let me interrupt, please, I'm late already.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't have to rush off right away.
Speaker 4: I'm meeting mother at the beauty parlor at one exactly, and you know her.
Speaker 5: I'd better be on time.
Speaker 2: You run alone? Oh what of those hearing?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, the nice can't they there? Your daughter was showing me while we're waiting for you. It's one of the height of thems.
Speaker 3: What downtown very nice?
Speaker 2: Probably forgo your alarm.
Speaker 5: Yes, but I figure maybe I can swindle you into giving me some.
Speaker 2: More knowing you, young lady, I wouldn't bet the other way.
Speaker 4: Well, I've got to school by daddy, by mister, thanks a lot for taking care of me.
Speaker 1: With all my Miss Keller. Call on me anytime, all right, maybe I will.
Speaker 3: Find ah you have Amice Keller.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Well, I was hard to check my mail when she dropped by.
Speaker 2: Norris, sir, Never mind the mail. I want to took you to Keller. What about I think you know?
Speaker 1: What about all my sales, recodness living is.
Speaker 2: Don't play smart Alec with me, Norris Smart.
Speaker 3: Well, now, I certainly didn't mean to do that.
Speaker 1: I've got nothing with the greatest respect for you, miss Keller, but at my sales, there's.
Speaker 2: Nothing to do with sales. And you know it. I made it very clear the other day in ours that you would have stayed away from marry on.
Speaker 3: Look, I didn't ask her to come into the office.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, save it, mister Keller.
Speaker 3: I was only being polite. You weren't around one.
Speaker 2: Of the other men could have seen to her.
Speaker 3: All the rest of the fellows were busy. You're out on call.
Speaker 2: What about Larson.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking attractive girl like miss Keller would have much in common with a step shirt like Las. She would with you though, Well, I've got a flash for you, Norris. You're in the same league with Larson.
Speaker 3: Why don't you tell that to her?
Speaker 2: Now? Look, she's just a kid impressed with an old man of twenty six one year from now. She wouldn't look at you, Norris. I'm going to be frank with you.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty good already.
Speaker 2: I don't like to let anything personal interfere with my business. If you weren't one of the best men in my office, you'll be through now.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the kind words.
Speaker 2: Is that all stay away from my daughter, nurs I'm telling you for the last time, Yes, sir. If I find you together again, i'll let something personal interfere like it or not. That's fair warning.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm warm. Is that all mitogether?
Speaker 2: Yes, Nurris, that's all.
Speaker 4: Sedwill how's the administration, mister Hallick?
Speaker 2: Just a phase, Yes, sir, I have an appointment with mister Hawick, Miss agent Stephens fed with your op.
Speaker 1: Investigation, Yes, sir, he's with me now, came in just as your phone. All right, I'll do that right, Thank you very much. I'll be in touch with you sorry, Steve, how are you please? That was mister Andrews on the phone just then.
Speaker 2: Anything special about this.
Speaker 1: No, just to tell you to continue working with.
Speaker 2: Us, mostly probably not quite so polite.
Speaker 1: Well, he did add you weren't to show up back at the bureau.
Speaker 2: Until this thing is licked. It's more like it. How about it, Steve?
Speaker 3: Is it going to be licked?
Speaker 2: I think so, Tom. Of course, I've only had time for a preliminary once over. But off the record, I'd say your suspicions of the James Keller organization are well founded. They are off the record, there's hardly enough to go on yet, but there's definitely more behind the Keller set up than meets the eye.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was sure there would be. The field man who first reported on Keller as one of our most reliable people.
Speaker 2: Did he have any idea on how Keller might be operating. No, he didn't.
Speaker 1: I'll qualify that he did, but it was so vague and unchecked, and I didn't want any speculative ideas to prejudice your investigation.
Speaker 2: You have an idea, yes, but it may be just as speculative as your fieldman's want to tell me about it? By all means good.
Speaker 1: You don't object to my having a stenographer make a transcript?
Speaker 2: Certainly not.
Speaker 1: And miss Allen, would you step in here moment please? I told mister Andrews I'd send them copies of anything we put down.
Speaker 2: Of course, as I say, it's only an idea. I don't know more. After an order of James Keller's books.
Speaker 1: Oh, his books may not be they may not be too easy to get hold of.
Speaker 2: We've had to me. Okay, I well, I'll get hold of his books all right, don't worry.
Speaker 1: I bet you will at that. And once you do, I have an idea that you're going to uncover plenty I hope.
Speaker 2: So if there's twenty to one cover well, of.
Speaker 1: Course our field man reported his suspicions on one particular loan. It may be narrowed down to just that one.
Speaker 2: I doubt it, Tom. We found out one thing in our investigations. It's almost a rule. If a man chisels successfully or I'm a single operation, it's a virtue will guarantee you'll be trying it again on others.
Speaker 7: I got warning a Skeller.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, mister Norris. You know what time it is?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know I had some personal business to attend her. Sorry, but it was very necessary. Take it off, my next commissioner.
Speaker 2: I'm getting offul fed up with you, Nurris, Are you really it's almost twelve o'clock. I wanted to get away early for the weekend. Where have you been? That was so necessary?
Speaker 3: Round with such a nice day, it seemed a shame to work, so I dropped over to see a couple of customers. Any messages come in for me?
Speaker 2: Customers?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm at missus.
Speaker 1: Steiner, mister Gotti, Shorty Beaman, No messages.
Speaker 2: What were you doing seeing those customers?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a question.
Speaker 2: They're not your territory. Who asked you to see him?
Speaker 3: Nobody?
Speaker 7: I just wanted to be.
Speaker 3: On the ball if you get a promotion, after all you said, I was in Larson's leaves and maybe there's room for improvement.
Speaker 2: Or so I asked you a question, Sheller, don't put your hands on me. What were you doing seeing those customers?
Speaker 1: Sheller answer, I'll answer you in a way you won't like if you don't let go on me.
Speaker 2: All right, What.
Speaker 3: I was trying to see if my hunch about kickbacks was right?
Speaker 2: Kick bags?
Speaker 7: Mm?
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: It's the hunch I've been working on ever since I found out how much you've been dropping in the fights and the ponies.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You want figures five thousand dropped on young Sullivan two thousands who told you about? And I got friends, mister Keller, the secretary kind. You'd be surprised what they do for me.
Speaker 2: So my smart Alex salesman decided to get.
Speaker 1: Nosey, and I know the whole phony set up over two hundred thousand worth.
Speaker 2: Let me see what are you going to do about it? Nurse? So I could go to the police, I suppose, yeah, but you wouldn't tall.
Speaker 3: I could hold you up for a nice.
Speaker 1: Water Muola, say about oh fifty thousand for a time.
Speaker 2: That's more your speed, I think. So you won't get a dime for me? Now, it's not one dime.
Speaker 3: I don't want money, mister Keller. You get me all wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm off it all.
Speaker 1: Why should I it's all it's all in the family. But I won't need money, and.
Speaker 3: I certainly don't want to be the one that slaps popa in law in the pokey.
Speaker 1: No, I only want one thing, mister Keller, and I'm going to get it. I'll be a good son to you. You can count and you know something. You're out of your head, am I completely out?
Speaker 2: If you could think for one second that I'd allow my daughter to harry you, good mister Keller.
Speaker 3: And unless you're dumber, and I think so, could you stop talking like a fool? Either marry Mary and me or it's you and twenty years.
Speaker 2: Up the river. You can't mean that. Nurse, even the chipster like you wouldn't call names if I were you your luck.
Speaker 3: I am giving you until Monday to make up your mind. You'll see how much I mean it.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm here.
Speaker 3: I'll take over the office for you. Said you wanted to get away earlier the weekend, didn't you.
Speaker 2: I'll get it.
Speaker 1: Mother, huh oh Mary, Eddie Narris calling, Oh.
Speaker 5: Oh Eddie.
Speaker 4: One moment.
Speaker 5: I'll get my father.
Speaker 3: No, father, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Call to speak with him, Oh Eddie.
Speaker 3: I called to see where you're going away for the weekend, because you're still going to be in town.
Speaker 4: Eddie.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't call me here. I told you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Everybody tells me. Only I got a long time have it making up my own mind. Ye're not going away for the weekend.
Speaker 4: Well, no, something came up to change Daddy's plans.
Speaker 5: Eddie, I can't talk to you anymore.
Speaker 7: Really, all right, we'll save it for the night.
Speaker 3: Huh whnny, it's time to talk over dinner. Maybe your cocktail, it's do in front of it.
Speaker 2: I'll come bye with the car.
Speaker 3: Aroun'm sick.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Eddie. I don't think it's matter.
Speaker 3: You want to have dinner with me, don't you? Don't you?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: Maybe I do, But.
Speaker 7: Run six, Mary, I'll come by with the car.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, Daddy, I didn't know you were still home.
Speaker 2: I couldn't put this book down ntil I finished it. Do you know me and mysteries? D oh? I told mother to go ahead. I meet her at the club. You're not eating with us?
Speaker 5: Well, not tonight?
Speaker 4: Well, Millicent asked me to join her.
Speaker 5: So oh I'm late, dear.
Speaker 2: I have to run f Mary. Yes, aren't you dressed up kind of elegant for melicin? Well, I mean an old friend like her.
Speaker 4: I could say what is this questions and answer no, of course.
Speaker 5: Well I really do have to run, daddy, Mary.
Speaker 2: You're having dinner with that in hours aren't you what? You've never lied to me? There is there the reason to start? Now?
Speaker 4: Well, what if I am having dinner with it?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: What if I am?
Speaker 2: I think you know what?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not sure I do. Is it that I didn't get written permission from you and mother? Or because that he works for you, or that he's just not on our high social level?
Speaker 2: Made? Okay?
Speaker 4: What I'd really like to know? If I'm supposed to be a snob, We'll tell me. If I'm supposed to stay a two year old the rest of my life, just tell me that's all, Mary?
Speaker 5: All right? But I do think I'm old enough.
Speaker 4: To know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but I'm still going to forbid you to see Eddie.
Speaker 5: Norris forbid me.
Speaker 2: I don't like the idea. Believe me, I've never interfered before. I've always let you have your own way and your own affairs. But this is one time I have to insist on mine.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry too.
Speaker 5: But because I'm going to have dinner with Eddie, whether you stay so or not, I'm going to see him say so or not.
Speaker 2: Mary, I'm not Eddie.
Speaker 4: I'm old enough to know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Marry, Harry, Jim Keller, I have to see you. Wait for me. I'll be over. I'm all close up. If you wait for me, Harry, this isn't any better.
Speaker 6: I have to see you right away, all right?
Speaker 2: Okay? Only how did he find out? How he was kind of always find out girls? One of the secretary and his wedding bells are out? Now?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: Couldn't blow him out? Of course I couldn't. If I couldn't you think I've been talking to you like this, relaxed, whether you're sure any other funny? Maybe you're not gonna let your daughter marry the creepy? What do you think I'm asking that? So? Although my dead buddy him or his Huh, you're in a spot, Jim, you know that? What what do you mean? Also, I'm in a spot. You owe me a water coin. If that boy opens up his yeap, my chances for collecting will be zero. Harry. We got to shut him up the way I see it. We got to shut him up in fast, brilliant suggestion, I think so? And just how do we shut him out of pens on?
Speaker 1: What on?
Speaker 2: Have you got guts?
Speaker 7: Harry?
Speaker 2: I don't intend to spend the rest of my life behind bars. That's a drinking kind How far don't you? As far as you don't, so then we got no worry. We can get the character over here now sure he owes me a gambling that and can't pay off. He's afraid you'll find out he's been pulling a loan swindle behind your back. But a loan swindle that way we kill what they call two birds with one stone, all suspicion against you and Eddie Norris. I don't get you, Harry again. I just asked if you got guts?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So o, have you got guts enough to let the sleezy character take the easy way out through the window. I don't like it? What than you do? But what can we do? Uh uh no, no, no, we can't do anything like that. He said, you didn't want to spend the rest of your life behind Forget it, Harry, it's too cold blooded. All right? Then you just have to face the music, wedding bells or the prisoner. It must be some other way there is, And I just gave it to you Eddie Norris, or you Jim his body or yours, And from what you told me, you haven't got time to waste. No, no, his body or yours is up to you, Jim, which would be I don't know. I'd have to take it over, Harry. I just don't know. Midstid Home Improvement Incorporated. Mister Keller is speaking, mister killer. My name is Stevens. I wonder mine might drop over for a few minutes.
Speaker 7: I'm from a Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 2: If you'll have a seat in here, mister Stevens, I think you'll be comfortable. Thanks. Don't put yourself out any mister Keller, A pleasure, believe me, say you'll find cigars a cigarette Tandy. I won't be a moment, thank your time. There's no special right only moment, Harry. Harry's me, Jim Keller. What we talked about I have, Harry. I've thought it over, real careful, and I thought the answer was still number on. If something has just come up to change my mind, watch something doesn't matter, doesn't How does it changed your mind? It has? Harry. The soon as we got it over with, the better got to light off. That'suff, you've had enough. I just sounded like this, maybe we're making a mistake. What well, maybe we are? I thought that visit and the Federals changed your mind. It did, but maybe we jump into quick it. It could have been just a routine cool like they said, routine. Those boys got nothing better than doom. Now listen to me, Jim, stop shaking and listen good. Those Federals showing up wasn't any coincidence and there wasn't any routine that Norris Skunk is just showing you he means business. Did you fix it for him to come over? I still didn't like. I didn't ask if I liked it. Seeing you stay out of a courtroom is my only insurance for the pile you owe me, So like it or not, I'm seeing Did you fix it for the character to come over? Yes? They give him your decision one way or they are. Listen, Harry, there must be some other Hearson, put that glass down. I'm tired of hearing the ice shake. And you talk him over there and in the window, Harry, maybe if we just walt on'll be a ten year old Jim, nobody eleven or different. He broke down, confessed, then made a break for the window, yelling, no Federals was ever going to lock him up. We tried to stop him, but we couldn't. The only way out. Oh, I know, Harry, he asked for this, didn't he? Howbody told him, I'll all a knife in your belly. You said you had got you made up your mind. I'll stay well, all right, all right, but but nothing, stay with it. And if you have to use that gun cold huh, he's coming. Okay, if you lose your nerve, Harry, all.
Speaker 7: I'm saying, shut up, shut up, guy, here to see mister Keller Harry.
Speaker 2: Okay, Joe, thanks.
Speaker 3: Hi, boss, And this is where you squanted the company fund urse.
Speaker 2: This is mister Harry. Nemo.
Speaker 3: Hello, Nemo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, your message said you give me a decision, boss, okay, give well.
Speaker 2: Don't find out cutaway suit Junior. You won't need it. You won't need it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the way you feel, born.
Speaker 2: I'll tell her what he feels the same as I feel that you're the rottenless, little conniving water rat this side of the water.
Speaker 3: Are you supposed to be? Nemo? A funny man?
Speaker 2: You look I like this too, bit I don't like him. Not tell him, go on, tell him tell me what listen a minute, I didn't Well, I'm sorry, I can't submit monter. That's all right, okay, okay, I'll take care of it myself. Come here, you need a little fresh air. Let go here. Don't worry. I'm gonna show you. He's just a sorry. Let's go of him. Now, where the shoot? Let's go him, Harry, Let's go I shoot? What Harry?
Speaker 3: Let him go, mister Keller.
Speaker 2: I didn't made the shoot. He just went on few gutless laughs. It had been better for you get killed. You were worried about what tubid was gonna spell? What just when ye're here? What Harry, Harry?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: That sounded like? Okay, okay, I'm stand there. It sounded and it was can't killer took a shot at me? Don't stand there? Go ahead, call a cop. Harry. Nemo became a willing witness for the prosecution, explo using the whole corrupt story of James Keller's business practice, and a grand jury quickly returned an indictment. Keller subsequently was tried and convicted and sentenced to a ten year term in the penitentiary at Louisbourg, although his sentence was lessened in consideration of his cooperation with the prosecution. Nemo himself was given a five year term. The byproduct of the trial was the revelation of the true character of Eddie Norris, finally convincing even Keller's daughter that there was ample room for improvement. This is the United States Time Forces Radio and Television service.