Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is seven oh five here Kentuckyana's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you, Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden and John Shannon. The crew is fully as symbol here as we get another week started. Hopefully you had yourselves a good weekend. I know it was a good weekend for Louisville fans. As the baseball program back in Olmahall, well, they're not there yet, but they've made They've made the College World Series for the sixth time in nineteen seasons for Dan McDonald and when you go on a little bit of a drought, it had been a while since they'd been there. But again, there are programs that have never been And just to say it out loud, six appearances to the College World Series in nineteen years for Dan McDonald, knowing that the program had never won an NCAA postseason game prior to Dan McDonald being hired. I mean that tells you what this guy's done as far as turning the program into what it is today. And I mean, I just think sharing those facts specifically should make folks realize, yeah, we shouldn't take that guy for granted.
Speaker 2: Not at all, Nick, And when you what I noticed what stood out on TV to me not only was the conversation about what Louisville did, because in the way that they have the All Americans lined up on the outfield, ball out there, which gets constant play on TV, you really get an appreciation and the fans that turned out in mass to see that burm packed and to watch the fans involved in cheering on and that went out between national TV audience, and that really put Louisville on the map. They're already on the map obviously for basketball and football. That makes sense. And of course we have the Derby. And what I love most is some of the camera shots the networks were doing. Not only did you have Jim Patterson Stadium, but then you had Churchill downs in the background, and then that they'd shoot the other way, you'd see the football stadium. It showed Louisville in just such a great light made us look good. It did make us look good, and the baseball team did too, So kudos to UL Baseball. And then of course we'll talk about Murray State as we move on through the morning.
Speaker 1: But they've got a big one today.
Speaker 2: They do. They've got a huge one, and then all the high school teams that are participating as well, and it's just nice to see, you know, we don't turn into the sleepy hollow here in Louisville once basketball season in the Derby leaves. And of course a lot of the talk during the Belmont on Saturday during Fox's coverage was about Louisville and the Kentucky Derby and what happened there. So you know, even my wife said, at dinner last night, we were talking about some of the richer horse races and I said, you know, the richest one of courses is Dubai World Cup. It doesn't even compare to the Kentucky Derby. She's like, I thought the Derby was.
Speaker 1: I said, no, most people probably think that, to be honest with you, right, And.
Speaker 2: That's why we were talking about in the Derby, you win the Derby for prestige, which I think is amazing and yet another compliment to our city on full display. So we had all that going on. We had a great crusade for children. It is just a really cool time to be here in Louisville, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. We will talk coming up a little bit later on with Rory O'Neal of NBC News and get the latest on the ice protest going on in Los Angeles, also going on a little bit in San Francisco as well. It's the first time since nineteen sixty five that the National Guard has been federalized without a governor's consent. Obviously, the two sides not aligned, those that are in leadership positions in state of California, and of course Donald Trump and his administration. So we'll talk to Rory on that and keep you updated on the latest is that it is still going on as we speak. Last week, a big conversation was preventing a third consecutive weekend of for lack of a better word, nonsense on Barchtown Road. It does seem as if there has been a big improvement from the previous two weeks compared to this past weekend. Obviously, it's something they're going to continue to monitor, and I think the real emphasis late last week was the emphasis on not just holding those accountable who aren't following the rules that are breaking the law, but preventative things in place to where it never gets to a point where you've got to show up with the patty wagon and just start arresting everybody, because I mean, that was likely going to be the next alternative, because that's what you have to do. You have to let people know that you know, you're going to be held accountable if you if you don't follow rules and again follow the law. Something else that we have discussed this morning, that his news from over the weekend, former Louisville basketball star Russ Smith arrested for DUI and these things. You know, anytime somebody of Russ's status, a celebrity here locally, is arrested for DUI, it's not a surprise to see it become local news. But the details of the arrest I think have been the biggest talking point because he was actually arrested and charged with DUI despite blowing below the legal limit. The legal limit is zero point zero eight. He blew zero point zero seven, So a couple of things here. You can blow below the legal limit and it's the officer's discretion as far as do they think you should be charged. Russ did admit to drinking. He did cooperate, I think it's safe to say, you know, I don't know if he volunteered to do it. But then he was asked to do it and didn't, didn't refuse. He fully cooperated with the field sobriety tests and I guess those tests were not he didn't do well in those tests according to the officer. So again it's it's the officer's discretion there as far as what they want to do. Do they want to arrest some won or do they want to tell them they can have somebody come pick up their vehicle. Again, I don't know the exact latitude that the officer has there. However, Russ does have an attorney, Steve Romans, the same attorney that I'm sure of a lot of you listening are familiar with Steve Romans, But he also represented Scotti Scheffler, and that is who now is going to arrest or who's going to represent Russ Smith in this situation. And for those that are of the belief that the same officer who then I don't And again, there are multiple officers involved in the Scotti Schefler situation, but something's been floated out there on social media the last twenty four hours that basically the officer And when I think of the Scottie Schefler situation, I think of the officer. The first one that comes to mind for me is the one who claimed he was run over and talked about the amount of money that it cost to purchase the pants that he needed to do the job they were ripped. I mean, that's the first thing that comes to mind for me. So if that's not for if that's not the way you go back and think of it, then you know nothing I can do about it. But the people who think the same officer who did that is the one who arrested Russ Smith, it's not the case at all. The officer who was involved in the traffic stop that arrested in charge Rust Smith at DUI is the officer who I guess read Scottie Schffler his Miranda rights and then later transported him to Metro corrections. So again, there's still there's clearly some connections here. But I think those that just assumed the same guy who a lot of folks seem to believe was in the wrong for letting the Scotti Schefler situation turn into what he turned into, it's not the same guy who pulled Rusmith over. Just to clarify, so again, we'll keep you updated on the latest when it comes to that and something I wanted to get to on the other side here before we get to another update of sports with Scott Fitzgerald. Is the big NCAA house settlement that was finally finally cleared on Friday. I'll give you the latest as far as what that means for college athletics moving forward, but first let's get another update on traffic and weather right here on news Radio eight forty whas it is seven seventeen here at Kentucky hata's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. And on Friday afternoon, we finally got a judge to put an end to the endless, seemingly NCAA House settlement conversation. So a California judge approved the NCAA's house settlement on Friday, which will be a game changer for college sports. What this means is schools can now directly pay athletes themselves. And I guess what this has done is it has essentially put the old archaic amateurism model in the grave because it hasn't been amateur sports for a while. It's been nil and we call it that, but it really wasn't name image and likeness. It was just a way to get around buying players. So what this does is it settles three major antitrust lawsuits against NCAA. And what we now have is, starting this upcoming academic year twenty twenty five to twenty six, schools can share up to twenty point five million annually with athletes. And when I say share, they're sharing revenue. So the cap again is twenty point five. That's the most you can share. That will grow apparently by year four it could be up to twenty five million. And as you could expect, most of this money is expected to go to football and men's basketball due to their revenue dominance. I mean, those are the sports that most often will bring you revenue, so you can pay out as much as twenty point five and how you decide to do it is really just how you want. So schools can can distribute these funds directly to the athletes. It sounds like the belief is that seventy five percent of this money is going to go to football, whereas fifteen percent will go to men's basketball, five percent for women's basketball, and then just five percent to be split among other non revenue sports. Now, no federal antitrust exemption for the NCUBLEA is a real big takeaway from this coming to a close because now they're still able to be sued, they can still get they can people can still lawyer up and fight the nc DOUBLEA, and the NCUBA has not had a lot of success in a courtroom, it seems like in the last few years. So another big thing is that two point eight billion dollars is going to be paid out to former Division one athletes that played college sports from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty four for their missed opportunities to cash in on name, image and likeness. Now, the biggest change here is the new is the new body that is in place called the College Sports Commission. This is run by the SEC, Big ten, Big twelve, and ACC where they're going to enforce the rules themselves. You're no longer the NSAA is basically saying, we don't have the resources, we don't have the ability to truly regulate this and hold people accountable. So you guys can can collectively work together and determine your own way of doing it. And they've done that. So nil Go Clearinghouse is going to be a third party. They're going to review all the third party in IL deals. So instead of just saying, hey, I'm going to pay I'm going to pay six hundred dollars to Scott Fitzgerald to come play from my baseball program just because he's Scott Fitzgerald. Now, if you are doing a NIL deal, you have to go through a process to prove that this is actually somebody being paid for their name, image and likeness and it's a legitimate deal, not just a hey, I'm going to give this person two million dollars and we're just going to call it in IL. So that is the big change is that you now everybody's sharing revenue, but the cherry on top is going to be who can give you the best NIL deals in order for you to decide if you want to go play there. But now you have to prove is it a legitimate INNIL deal or not.
Speaker 2: So it's important because we're continuing to evolve now, which is what we said would happen. And yes, we're going to learn how to fly as we go, and it sounds like at least we're moving so much.
Speaker 1: This is this is certainly a step in the right direction, but I think the days of it being completely smooth and no hiccups. I don't know if that's realistic, but anyways, we'll take another update, take a quick break in an update on traffick and weather, and another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on Who's Radio eight forty whis Thank You, Thank You. John at Is seven thirty four here at Kentucky had his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with You, Scott Fitzgerald, John Shannon, and John Alden alongside today. So teens who stay up late are more likely to have impulses negatively, I mean, I'm not totally surprised by that, But when I was young, when I was a teenager, I don't really remember having a bedtime per se, like my mom checking on me at this time of the evening to make sure I was actually in bed asleep. But I don't also remember staying up super late either. Did you have a bedtime as a kid.
Speaker 2: No, It was one of those things. When I turned in, I was trying to remember when I heard you mention that when I quit having a bedtime, when my parents quit telling me it was time to go to bed, And I don't know that I can remember that. But I never, like you, never stayed up late. I was either busy at school or had some good guys went to bed. My son, to some degree, he would stay up late, but it didn't make him a miscrender.
Speaker 1: All it took was a couple of mornings where I thought, okay, yeah, I'll stay up late. I had, I guess I had some freedom, probably because my mother was already in bed and I realized I've got a TV. I can just you know, watch a movie or whatever and play video games even And it probably just took a couple of mornings where I was just dragging and realized, okay, now I'm paying the price for this, so I'm gonna make sure I'm in bed by a certain time. But if you if you have that freedom, I mean, I'm sure there's kids that have the cycle to where they stay up really late. They're probably not productive at school, they're really sleepy. They get home from school, then take a long nap. Is if they you know, that's that's the that's their probably the most long maybe the longest day sleep in the twenty four hour window, and then because they just slept a bunch after school, then they stay up really late at night, and I would imagine that's a cycle that is not not great for school. But if you can pull it off, you can pull it off.
Speaker 2: Was there ever any worse feeling than when you're in school? Unlet's just say you're you're in a class, doesn't matter which one. You just could not fight dozing off. I mean, no matter how much you got teachers who tell us get up all the time.
Speaker 1: I can think of the classes that that that I was like that because it was pretty rare for me. But there were certain and it was wasn't necessarily the subject, right that you know that you know what. You were much less likely to fall asleep in Pe, obviously, but it was more so the teacher's voice, like the cadence. Just there's certain voices that are I mean, maybe it's a compliment. It's probably not good for a sleepy student, but it'll put me to sleep because I'm just calm and relaxed.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of people going to staff meetings this morning. I mean, there's no worse feeling in a staff meeting than dozing off and you're not trying to.
Speaker 1: And there's probably no no day like Monday as far as it being more likely to happen, right, because you're coming off the weekend. So yeah, I just remembered whenever I was this was probably early high school, late middle school. I'd come home after after school and I fell asleep, not really trying to. I just laid down on my bed watching TV, and I fell asleep and I was in a deep sleep. I woke up and looked over at my at my at my alarm clock and it said like six forty something, and it was it was not dark outside, but it also wasn't light, so I was I was. I was like, oh crap, it's it's time to get up and go to school. I'm running a little bit behind. So I walk out of my bedroom and in the kitchen, my mom and my sister are in there, and I didn't see them. I just could hear them moving around and talking. And I'm thinking, okay, I'm running. I'm running behind. So I go jump in the shower, I take a quick shower, run back to my bedroom. I end up, you know, grabbing my backpack getting everything ready for the day. I had basketball practice, I think later, so I just making sure I had everything, and here I am hustling as if I'm as if I'm about to cause the family to be late, and I walk into the kitchen and they're they're sitting there and they're not in their clothes to leave for the day. They're eating dinner. And I realized, oh, it's it's it's six something pm that am. And I can't tell you the relief of knowing that I didn't have to go. It's like I got a day. It's like I got an extra day off, like I started my evening all over again. So yeah, sleep sleep schedule, sleep cycle. Uh, it's important, and I'm I'm adjusting. Today was not as bad as I thought it would be the first Monday for me after, you know, coming off of a full week of the new schedule. So yeah, if you stay up late as a kid, apparently it's well. See how something my son did that.
Speaker 2: And I used to think it was a problem at first, and as I watched him sort of go through the motions. One, I'm not going to force the kid to go to bed because he's sixteen now, yeah, whatever age it is, he's old enough to make his own decisions. But there were times where he would stay up late, and to what you just mentioned, he'd come home from school, he goes, I am so tired, and then he'd sack out. He'd be out by ten o'clock. And it's if you let them find their way with that. I don't know if that contributes to being up late.
Speaker 1: As far as the report said, well, I think if you can put if you have the if you can put off the nap, yeah, it'll work itself out to where you're gonna end up falling asleep earlier and then you're going to be more fresh the next day. So yeah, it'll it can it can certainly work itself out. But I do believe if I had distractions. Really we had cell phones when I was a teenager, but they weren't smartphones, if that makes sense, so I couldn't really get lost and distract myself on my cell phone. If I had a cell phone like they're made now and I was teenager, I probably would I would be on that thing, not sleeping. But the only thing I could really entertain myself with on my cell phone was remember the game Snake, but they know the no Kia phones. I remember playing Snake. That was about as much fun as I could have on my cell phone. So nowadays, man, kid's got a lot of different distractions that can keep them up late, video games, the Internet, that kind of stuff. So anyways, all right, let's get a let's get an update on traffic and weather. It is seven forty here in news Radio eight forty whas. It is seven forty six here a Kentucky. And this morning news on News Radio eight forty whas, Nick coffee with you. We'll have another update of sports with Scott Fitzgerald coming up at about nine minutes. Also another news update with John Shannon at eight o'clock. And I want to give a big shout out to everybody who helped in any way when it comes to the seventy second annual Whas Crusade for Children. Scott, I know you were out there yesterday helping out and so much goes into that. I mean, seventy second annual. Think about that, folks. I mean since nineteen fifty four, this has gone on to raise money for obviously a great, great reason. And the total yesterday five point eight nine million was raised. And again this raises funds for children with special needs a Kentucky and Southern Indiana. And I mean, I'll tell you what it's me make sure I have this correct. It's recognized as as America's longest running and most successful local telethon, and when you hear nineteen fifty four being when it started, it makes total sense that that's up there right. There's not many other annual telethons that have gone on as long as this one has, but so many that volunteer their time from the local fire departments, folks like Scott and others that were a part of it and have been for many many years. And O Terry Miners, our colleague here, has put so much into it and is very very passionate about the crusade for children. So what I thought really hit me last week, just knowing that this is a known annual thing around here, is we were over at my wife's grandparents' house and in her neighborhood. The fire trucks were making their way around the street and they weren't going fast. So I think the kids clearly could tell that there wasn't some type of an emergency. But they you know, my son is five, and he already remembered that, oh, let's get some money. Let's get some money, because if he sees firemen out at intersections or making the rounds and neighborhoods. He now knows that they're they're there to raise money and that just that. You know, that's just one example. But you know, no matter what your lifestyle is, no matter how old you are, you're probably well aware of what the Crusade for Children is and you know what it's all about, what it does. And that's why you're able to see five point eight nine million being raised over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, and it was nice too because there were so many people that were touched so much raw emotion. We were talking to the good folks from the Anchorage of Fire Department and one of their officers was just broke down emotionally because they had helped his family. And I think speaking of Anchorage, the fun moment came when Patrick Walston, the chief at Anchorage, had a bet with some of the other fire departments if they exceeded that now ninety thousand deadline or the ninety thousand threshold, he would have to eat a cicada. Ooh on the air.
Speaker 1: I did not see that.
Speaker 2: So incomes of course terry miners who comes in with lo and behold is kada in his hand because they end up raising one hundred and twenty four thousand, So he had to eat the cicada and he ate it right on the air, and it.
Speaker 1: Was seated expectations and if it led to somebody having to eat a cicada, I'd say it's worth it.
Speaker 2: It was, and you know, just a big shout out to everybody over there, you know Philip who produces it. Don They do a great job with Crusade. It was great to reunite with Alex Detterer. Her and I have worked together the past two years on that and just to see, you know, Shay was out there with Terry and obviously this is Terry's baby and he he is the radio voice of this and to be a partner with us and to see it now not only from that standpoint, but see how the sausage is made, so to speak, and see the behind the scenes and to your point, all the hard work that people do to point this on it simply was amazing. I went home watched the conclusion of it last night and it just working something like that gives you a whole greater appreciation of exactly everything they do. And when you get to meet the different firefighters and you see the people who give and the storylines.
Speaker 1: And you hear stories from those who have shared. Because this takes place every year and so much money is raised, it has had this type of an impact on me personally in my situation, my family. I mean, those are those are obviously great stories to share. And competition is good for everybody, healthy competition, especially when you've got firefighters or fire departments I should say here locally that are competing to see you can raise the most money and they're working their tail off to try to. I mean, it's it's a win win for everybody. Right. If you don't end up raising as much as others, it's still just energizing everybody to bring in as much as you possibly can to again make an impact.
Speaker 2: Good folks from Anderson County came in as well.
Speaker 1: They were there, so Swartzburg in the house.
Speaker 2: There we go, so it extends well beyond the water since so it was fun.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. All right, let's take a quick break. We've got an update on traffic and weather coming your way, as well as another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald. Right here. Do you wait? Forty w h A S