Speaker 1: Seven o five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at WHAS dot com. It is Friday. Happy Friday, everybody, and because it's Friday, we are once again joined by L and PD spokesman Dwight Mitchell. And also we've got Scott Fitzgerald in the saddle with us as well. Dwight, how are we doing. Happy Friday, sir.
Speaker 2: Well, Happy Friday to the both of you all. It's always a pleasure to see you all. And it's a new way, new day. I'm coming in the studio.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I like the I like interviews where I get a chance to, you know, have some face to FaceTime. It's it's better for the product that is radio and I'm not as used to it. So I thank you for giving us some of your time, man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you back. How about it?
Speaker 1: So we'll start with the pride parade that is that is planned this weekend. Obviously that'll lead to some road closures. What can you tell us about what's expected this weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, what I'm going to do is not tell you a whole lot about it other than to go to our social media page.
Speaker 3: Okay, and all of those that's easy, all the road.
Speaker 2: Closures that will be in the air area, and that's the best way to do that. And that, you know, if you're participating in parade or I want to be a spectator, certainly you want to know all the routes that are taking place so you won't be delayed.
Speaker 1: You've you've been doing this a long time. I don't want to make you sound like an old guy, but you but a lot of things have changed in life during your time with LMPD, and technology is certainly one of it. One of those things. I'm assuming that that social media just the Internet, but really social media, because everybody's active on one of the platforms. You guys are on all the social media platforms. That's a really good resource for you.
Speaker 3: Guys, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's another way for us to reach and get our message out. You know, for many years we had to do that through the traditional media, which which still do but obviously most people get their news now through social media. I think I heard you say that.
Speaker 1: Kind of a scary thing to think about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yes, but it's a fact.
Speaker 2: And I subscribed to the philosophy that you either got to adapt to advance.
Speaker 3: And oh yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Reason why we don't have dinosaurs today because they never adapted to the vegetation.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to be a dinosaur.
Speaker 4: So does social media help you in policing as well when you have events like this or what we saw with maybe the riots that I want to say riots, but the protests that we had, do you guys get in in learn a lot from social media.
Speaker 2: You know, we're trying to bob like everyone else and trying to figure out this whole thing. And yes, we use social media quite a bit again to get our message out, to get more out to people again, because that's the way people are receiving news. No longer do you have to wait until six o'clock in the evening.
Speaker 3: Or o'clock and night to get the constant thing this twenty four hours a day. You can thank Ted Turner for that.
Speaker 5: But you you could probably if you have folks that are trained to do this, that maybe follow some folks that don't have such good intentions and maybe start connecting. Then you guys use it for an investigative.
Speaker 1: Purpose, yes, certainly, yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, yes, I mean I would I would imagine that that. There's been many investigations where social media played a big role in determining what happened. So it's useful in ever ways, and it can be obviously, it could be something used against folks who are out here doing things they shouldn't do and not being mindful of the receipts they leave in the digital world.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, and it never goes it's always on the clouds.
Speaker 1: So yes, it's all good, no doubt about it. All right, So I understand you guys have a detective that is looking into a thirty nine year old cold case that was a rape that took place. Thirty nine years is a long time. Tell us a little bit about sort of where you guys are with that.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, last Friday, which was June the thirteenth, and was Friday thirteenth, and thirty nine years ago last Friday that was also June the thirteenth. This is the reason why we did that. The rape occurred here in Louisville. What happened was there was a lady who was out with some of her friends over in Jeffersonville, Indiana. They had been out she was going home. She was stopping at a Save a Step store to get a drink for a husband or something to that before she went home. The store was closed, and as she was exiting the parking lot of that place, two black males came up to her. She said she felt a gun barrel on the left side of her head. They forced her back into a car and they drove over to Louisville across the Big Ward. She was raped multiple times in different locations throughout Louisville, and we believe some of them may have taken over with the old Codder Home Southwick area around thirty second and Young at that time was a very notorious corner for that type of activity or drugs and things of that nature. She had the word with them at that point to.
Speaker 3: Get some very good information that she gave to.
Speaker 2: The detectors back then with the Louisville Police Department, who those detectives worked their case very well that I'm told even for that time, rape Kipt was done over in Clarksville because she.
Speaker 3: Had the world with her to get back over.
Speaker 2: The bridge over through the Germon Minton Bridge and was able to contact authorities over there and we worked the case together for a couple of years and then the Louisville Police Department at that time took the case over. Unfortunately, the lady about a year ago was hearing about technology that now has with red cases and she called our Office of Sexual and Physical Investigations Unit, which was called ASPIE and Detective Wendy Atkins who works for us. She's a civilian, but she does is an investigator in cold cases along with the state trooper who is a retired State troopers come back to work cold rapes specifically to do that.
Speaker 3: So after thirty nine years, this woman who's lived a good life but.
Speaker 2: Lives with a horror every course of these two individuals who still may be walking in the streets now that was thirty nine years ago. They may still be alive, and they may not be. But the point of the matter is, even though she's gone on with her life, it's still that lingering thing there where you want these people to pay up for what they did.
Speaker 3: And that's where we are today.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it wouldn't have been a shock if this individual or maybe others that had something like this happen that, of course they live with probably every day. I mean, they're a victim. It's not something you just ever get over. You learn to deal with it as best you can. Easier said than done. Had she been aware of technology and just decided I don't want to go down this path again, I'm in a good place. I don't want to revisit something that was so traumatic that wouldn't really be a surprise. But I'm happy to hear that. You know, despite living a good life now, they still want justice and want to know, even if it is somebody that may not be with us anymore, or maybe incarcerat or whatever it may be. I can certainly not relate to that situation at all, but I do understand wanting to just least have some aspect of closure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because here's the thing where, even if we don't catch these people, the fact that she's come forward, it may help someone else who has happened to more. Currently, you know, I think we have about three thousand code cases of rate that we have just with the little Metro Police department. Those are just the ones that report it. Because it's one of the most unreported crimes.
Speaker 3: That we have that braks should take place.
Speaker 2: So we're hoping that getting the message out also brings some people for what that this has happened to that we can get on it and hopefully, you know, I don't like to necessarily use the term bring justice, but just to get the right thing done, sure, and for people to pay for the crimes that they.
Speaker 1: And know that your you know, law enforcement, your team, You're here to help in every way you can. And I'm sure there are some that may never get the closure or the justice that they want, but the role that law enforcement plays throughout, I mean, it's a strong thing. I'm sure there's many that have worked tirelessly to help someone get something they weren't able to get, which is closure, justice whatever that maybe both, But yet they've developed a relationship with somebody who's working tirelessly to help them, and that alone can be a big step and being better to being better able to deal with something that's so traumatic.
Speaker 2: You hit it right on the head because detective Vatricans and the victim actually have stuck struck up a friendship.
Speaker 3: As a result of them all. And you know, and that's great too.
Speaker 2: In this bridge and a gap with the community that we all are trying to do. You know, I look at it all the time and I think what our goal is. It's just to protect people and protect their constitutional rights. We're going to make this real simple. That's what law Enforce Sure is. Ultimately, it's not all the other flowery things we like to put in it. Uh, but that's what we're here to do. And you know, we all live and work in this community, have families, you know, have children, have mothers and fathers, and sisters and brothers, aunties and uncles, Lottie, Dottie and everybody.
Speaker 3: We've got all of that.
Speaker 2: And so you know that's our ultimate goal is to do that and to make Louisville a much safer place.
Speaker 3: Every day we try to do that. Good stuff.
Speaker 1: Thank you as always for stopping in Dwight, hope to hope to do it every week.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff. With the creek don't rise and Lord, don't call me, well said.
Speaker 1: It's Mike Mitchell, LLMPD spokesmen joining us here on news radio eight forty whas. We'll get a check of Travick in weather coming up right here right now on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: Thank you John.
Speaker 1: It is seven thirty five here Kentucky, his morning news with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas, thanks for joining us here on a Friday morning. However you're listening wherever you're listening, We certainly do appreciate it. I mean I appreciate it. I can't speak for John Alden. I think he appreciates it too, right, Oh, absolutely good, that's what I want to hear. All Right, So here's the latest on the ongoing I guess situation.
Speaker 3: That's the best way to put it.
Speaker 1: So, the Iran and Israel situation is there really hadn't been a whole lot of change as far as those two sides of it. But America's involvement, meaning Donald Trump, what is he going to decide to do. Here's what we now know that when it comes to a decision on attacking Iran or not, we've got roughly two weeks until we will I guess within the next two weeks is when we're going to find out if action will be taken place by America or not.
Speaker 6: I have a message directly from the President and I quote, based on the fact that there's a substantial chance of negotiations that may or may not take place with Iran in the near future. I will make my decision whether or not to go within the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: So again, from I guess yesterday until two weeks from then, that's the timeline. Maybe I am basing this a little bit off of Donald Trump and just sort of his style, his brand, his personality. I mean, we all know who I'm talking about here, Donald Trump. I would if I had to wager, I would say that there's a better chance we get a decision closer to yesterday than two weeks from then. But we shall see. Coming up at eight thirty, we'll talk to Rory O'Neil of NBC News and get his thoughts on the latest here. Because when it comes to a peaceful resolution here, yesterday I think was in my opinion, just mine, I took it as a real big step in the direction of this thing ending in a more peaceful in a more peaceful situation. Then of course the other side of that, which is not peaceful and a potential, you know, world War three type of situation. So again, if you are somebody that wants to avoid that, which I am, and I'm assuming a lot of people are, I think yesterday was a good step in that direction. Also, Trump did, I guess, kind of contradict himself slightly yesterday because there was a report that the Wall Street Journals report that Trump had signed off on the plans but hadn't given the full green light.
Speaker 3: That was disputed.
Speaker 1: But then as the day moved forward, it does seem as if they do decide to take action in the next two weeks, they certainly know what it is that they're going to do. So again, we'll talk to Rory O'Neil coming up here at about eight thirty to get more on that. Something else to monitor that is a potential cyber attack that could involve more Americans maybe than we've ever seen when it comes to that kind of thing. There's a CIA hacker that has warned the United States that there's going to be a massive cyber attack from Iran. Iran, Iran. I'll get it right one point within the next thirty days. And just given the current situation, right the temperature between the two sides here Iran and of course the United States really just Donald Trump mostly, this wouldn't shock me if this does happen. It ended up being one that will be remembered for a long time, just because it's a contentious situation right now. Also, something that is worth mentioned when it comes to the ice raids that are still taking place across the country, there is the Appeals Court judge did let Trump keep control over the National Guard troops that have been deployed to Los Angeles. So that has been a back and forth battle state control, government control at the top from the national level, and the Appeals Court does still give that give that control to Trump. Maybe it's just because of how how much the Iran Israel situation has been in the news. It doesn't seem as if there has been It hasn't been as I guess contentious with the with the ice rates. However, let's be real with ourselves. It's still happening every day across the country. And there was a a I guess he said, she said situation because the La Dodgers did put out a tweet yesterday claiming that Ice was wanting to show up and and and I guess just hang out in the parking lot and try to catch people who are there illegally, and and and do what they've been doing, right finding illegals regardless of their situation, whether it be criminals or not. They want to get people out of this country that are not here, that are not here in a legal way, so they declined to let them do that, according to the Dodgers. Well then ICE then responded saying that basically fake news. That's that's not the case, and that you know they weren't they weren't there. In fact, yeah, this is the Dodger Street says. This morning, ICE agents came to Dodger Stadium in requested permission to access the parking lots. They were to not entry to the grounds by the organization. Tonight's game will be played as scheduled. That was yesterday afternoon. And then the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Twitter account ICE gov is what they're at on x they responded with false we were never there, So it's a he said, she said, that's that's just we had a lot more of that going on than we've ever had. It seems like, all right, we've got traffick and weather coming your way in just a moment. Also, I want to get to this story about the special needs child that was sexually assaulted on a school bus. That lawsuit that's out there.
Speaker 3: I've got some.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on that. Not something that you know, I would want to talk about as a special needs parent, but certainly something we need to get to. So stick with us right here on Kentucky and it's morning news on News ready to eight forty whas. So, there's now a second child, a seven year old special needs student that has alleged sexual abuse by an eighth grade student, also a special needs on a Greater Clark County school bus. This took place last spring. Again, it's the second incident, and it was the New Washington Schools the school system, and the incident was captured on surveillance video and obviously that's an awful story and situation all the way around. And the attorney that is representing the family here the victims claimed that a distracted bus monitor failed to intervene. So this is and for those who don't know this about me, and I'm not gonna I'm not gonna spend a whole lot of time on it because I don't want to and probably wouldn't be able to. So I have a my daughter is special needs. She's autistic, and she is she is intellectually disabled. That's probably the best way to describe it. So for those who don't really know exactly what that looks like. And again, everybody's situation is different. Imagine a nine year old who from an intellectual standpoint, is closer to three years old. That's sort of the situation. So this story, of course, has been in the news everywhere locally for obvious reasons.
Speaker 3: It's news.
Speaker 1: But any time it's been on the television or it's been on my feed online, I either quickly scroll away from it, or put my phone down or I change the station, just because these kind of things just I can't describe and probably would never be able to describe, like the feeling in my stomach whenever I just hear of these kind of things that take place, and when when these kind of despicable things happen, like a terrible crime being perpetrated by somebody who is a child, not a grown adult, and also a child that I believe is special needs as well, there's I believe, from society, this desperation to find out like who ultimately needs to be blamed for this, who can we point the finger at? And sometimes that's not fair. Obviously, parents are responsible for their children, but there may be situations that they can simply not avoid It's just tough to know. But in situations like this, I'll just be honest with you, right or wrong. My first instinct, without really giving it much thought, just instinctually, my thought is to blame the school system for not monitoring, not keeping an eye on those who are helpless and vulnerable and end up in situations like that. And clearly there's a lawsuit here for a reason, and if this lawsuit ends up being successful from these victims, I won't be surprised by any means or if there's some type of settlement. But when it comes to the school system, it's also unfair of me because I don't have enough information to really know how this happened, what preventative measures should should have been in place to prevent it. I don't know, I'll admit, like you know, clearly I want to point the finger at the school, and most are doing it, and certainly they are responsible for keeping your children safe and having things in place to where this doesn't happen. But it does sometimes and it's awful, and you know, maybe there are other factors that you know we should be pointing the finger at, or maybe this is just the latest reminder that you know, despite not reaching uh the legal age of being an adult, you know you can still you can still know right from wrong and and do awful things. And again with this situation, if in fact, the the the I guess perpetrator here is also special needs, that's just a different element of that's a different element of unknown. As far as gosh, this is so bad, I just I and I don't. I'm not speaking for myself here, but I just know there's there's there's many that just want so desperately to know who we can hold accountable and and you know, make sure it never happens again. And you always want to find ways to prevent these things from happening, but sometimes they do, and it's awful. And as somebody who I cannot imagine, cannot imagine being the parents of these children, I mean, I it, I can't, so I can't. I won't try to put myself in their shoes. But maybe, just maybe there's this, Maybe you can find some peace knowing that you know somebody will be held accountable and you will be compensated for all the pain and suffering that everybody went through. But I just I learned long ago that sometimes awful things happen, and yes there are people responsible, but sometimes it's not easy to just know what the root causes of things like this. So I'm sure we'll find out more as this lawsuit proceeds. Maybe there'll be a settlement, maybe not. But yeah, just a tragic situation. And again from my perspective personally, I don't think I'll ever see those stories and whatnot and not have this again, undescribable feeling of just again I can't describe it. I was about to try to describe it. I can't, so anyhow. Larry Wilder, by the way, is the attorney that is representing the victim here, the second victim. All right, let's get an update on trafficking weather. Also, we'll get another update on sports coming up here in just a few minutes on news Radio eight forty whas