Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to Sunday Service, episode fifty two. I am your host, Josh Monday. If you know me, I'm a Christian rapper, devoter, husband, father, and Army veteran. And yes, this is actually the one year anniversary.
Speaker 2: Of the show.
Speaker 1: Big thanks to Cult of Conspiracy podcast because this, of course is brought to you by Cult Conspiracy Podcasts. Who Yeah, had me hop on a show probably like a year and a half ago, and then I hopped on another show like a year and two months ago, and then they offered.
Speaker 2: This this show to me, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: So now we got Sunday Service, which is on its one year anniversary, and then Wednesday Service as well. So I kind of wanted to go over a few shout outs to those that commented last week we had for Sunday Service, we had MDMP twenty two. Like always, I see you every show commenting Whiskers White every show, even on my show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I appreciate you. Sorry it was late to comment.
Speaker 1: We listened while on the road to Nashville, Tennessee to Jackson, Mississippi. How awesome though, Alabama, nice drive, just listening to the word God.
Speaker 2: Bless you all.
Speaker 1: Thank you Whiskers White, you always do on the show, and you always thow comments on each show, even on my show too. I really appreciate you Mitch as well. Thank you for commenting each week. Brad Gillis, you know what you did for me man, You really blessed me on my show and my podcast. And also thank you for all your comments. I really appreciate you, brother. And then let's check out Wednesday Service who we had on there so we had seven comments last week. Thank you so much we had Brad Gillis, Thank you, Mitch. I appreciate you. DW great podcast. Thank you so much, Brandy Hoping. The comments are helpful. Brandy, the comments are definitely helpful. I appreciate you. I don't know if you listen to Sunday Service as well, but I see you always commenting on Wednesday Service. The comments definitely help and Whiskers White comment comment comment. Thank you and b God bless you, Josh. Thank you so much for the end depth study. Yeah, thank you guys so much or the comments. I really appreciate you, and plus listening to the show MBMP twenty two, thank you. Like I said, guys one year I mean, it went by pretty fast. But in one year we've already gotten to First Samuel, First Samuel chapter twenty four now, and that's amazing, you know, And it's such a blessing to be in this position to teach. And like I said, I don't know any other conspiracy podcast that's doing Bible studies like this, so I think it is vastly important.
Speaker 2: And I think that it's pretty cool that I ended up on.
Speaker 1: Cold the Conspiracy podcast, because obviously some of their shows are not geared towards Christianity only, so you know, I'm noticing some of the shows, some of the guests I see that come on there, and some of the other shows that they're affiliated with, but they decided to have this show on here, and I think it's really good. It's really good for the listeners because everybody needs to hear the word of God, for sure. They need to hear the real truth, nothing but the truth, the Word of God. Right, So thank you for always tuning in, everybody, and thank you guys so much for one year of a great show. You know, it's been, like I said, such a blessing, all glory to God. Of course, in one Corinthians ten, verse thirty one. It says, whether therefore you eat or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God. And that's what we do on this show. So let's go ahead and continue with first Samuel. First Samuel twenty four. Let's go ahead and pull it up on the screen. Share.
Speaker 2: There we go, boom. All right, First Samuel twenty four.
Speaker 1: We're going to be in verse one, and like I always do, I got to pull up all my notes.
Speaker 2: I was trying to pull up my notes on my regular phone, which I have here.
Speaker 1: Perfect, have that up, and guys, yeah, I just can't believe it's already been a year. A year goes by so fast, man, so fast, and we've covered so much information on the in the Bible that's been incredible, you know, So I really really appreciate being able to do this. Like I said, you might hear some dings in the background, guys, because I just turn on my phone and hopefully it doesn't bother you guys, or hopeully hopefully it's.
Speaker 2: Not too loud. Excuse me, But let's go ahead and pull this up for Samuel twenty four.
Speaker 1: Perfect, there we go, all right, let's go over a little intro before we start. For Samuel twenty four, as a testament to David's character. Yeah see, you guys, you hear some dings in the background. I can't help that. Let me see, Yeah, I can't really help that because this phone I can't turn on silently because of this it's got this big old case and it's I can't, like, really, I don't have that side where.
Speaker 2: I could turn on the silent there.
Speaker 1: So if it dings a couple of times, I do apologize, But let me go ahead and continue first. Samuel twenty four is a testament to David's character, his deep respect for God's anoided and his unshakable faith in God's judgment. He spares Saul not out of fear, but out of reverence for God's plan. It is a powerful reminder that vengeance belongs to God and that we should strive to exhibit mercy even to our adversaries. So, yeah, you're gonna see that definitely displayed here. Let's go ahead and start, excuse me, for Samuel twenty four. Verse one, Now it happened when Saul. This is David spare Saul?
Speaker 2: Is what the title is?
Speaker 1: Now It happened when Saul had returned from following the Philistines, that it was told to him saying, take note, David is in the wilderness of Ngetti. Then Saul took three thousand chosen men from all Israel and went to seek David and his men on the rocks of the wild goats. So he came to the sheep bolds by the road, where there was a cave, and Saul went in to attend to his needs. That literally means he went in to use the restroom. Okay, whether it's a number two or number one, I don't know. But one thing he didn't know is that David and his men were staying in the.
Speaker 2: Recesses of the cave.
Speaker 1: Meaning Saul went in the very front of the cave, probably to use the restroom, and David and all his men were in the very end of the cave, and Saul went in there by himself.
Speaker 2: It sounds like, so does he have men guarding.
Speaker 1: The cave, probably, but he doesn't know anybody's actually in the cave. And it says here that David and his men were staying in the recesses of the cave. Okay, it says then the men of David said to him, said to David, this is the day of which the Lord has said to you. Behold that will deliver your enemy into your hand, that you may do to him as it seems good to you. And David arose and secretly cut off a corner of Saul's robe. Now it happened afterward that David's heart troubled him because he had cut Saul's robe. And he said to his men, the Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord's anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, seeing he is he is the anoyed of the of the king.
Speaker 2: Hold on really quick for some reason that is so weird. Okay, so.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and stop the real. Well, actually, we'll finish this off, it says Uh. And he said to the men, the Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord's anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, seeing he is the anoided of the Lord. So to restrain his servants from these words, that did not allow him to rise against Saul. And Saul got up from the cave and went on his way. So, so what happened was since Saul was the Lord's anointed. And also also this is what I also kind of see. I mean, David has been through a lot with Saul, right, and he probably wanted to respect the fact that that Saul was still the king and Saul was still the Lord's anointed. So it says that he didn't want to he even though his men is trying to say, this is the day of which the Lord had said to you, behold, I will deliver your enemy into your hands, doesn't mean that the Lord was actually delivering him.
Speaker 2: Into his hands.
Speaker 1: The men are assuming that because they're like, what's the chances of him coming in here to take a pee or a dump?
Speaker 2: And we're in here.
Speaker 1: This is it, guy, you know, this is it David. So David kind of it says. Now it happened after that David's heart troubled him. I'm sorry, it said, behold, I will deliver enter me in your hand. Yeah, And then David arose secretly cut off a corner of Saul's rope. So when David was walking probably in this in this cave in the dark, like all right, here, it's time for me to take him out, he probably just said, you know what, I'm just gonna cut a piece of his robe off secretly and have that peace so that he knows at some point he's gonna know that, hey, I had a chance to kill you.
Speaker 2: But I didn't, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's even more kind of a powerful powerful for him to do that than for him to just slay Slam right there. But he also it says, the Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my master, the Lord's anointed. So he still looked up to Saul as the king at that time. He hasn't taken David hasn't taken over as king yet. He's gonna become king, but he hasn't taken over yet. But uh, he said, do this thing to my master, and Lord's anointed, distretch on my hand against him, seeing he is the notant of the Lord.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 1: Let's see what my notes say, because that's what I'm seeing there. David had the opportunity. This is in my notes. David had the opportunity to kill Saul in the cave, but he chose not to harm the Lord's anointed. This demonstrates his respect for God's authority and timing. Okay, so let's go ahead and check out a little deeper into David's restraint, and let's see if it's going to pull up exactly what I'm looking for. David's restraint is a significant thing in the theme in the biblical narrative, illustrating his character as a man after God's own heart, marked by humility, patience, and respect for God's anointed. His theme is primarily observed in the accounts of David's interactions with King Saul, as recorded in the Books of Samuel. For Samuel, David, the youngest son of Jesse, was anointed by the prophet Samuel to be the future king of Israel for Samuel sixteen, verses twelve through thirteen. Despite his divine appointment, David faced a prolonged period of waiting before ascending to the throne.
Speaker 2: During this time, King Saul, the reigning.
Speaker 1: Manark, became increasingly hostile towards David, perceiving him as a threat to his kingdom. And I'm only going over these parts so that people kind of because something white just just be tuning in.
Speaker 2: You know, this might be their first week listening to the show.
Speaker 1: So it's good to kind of do like a little you know, tell people what happened, you know before in the other chapters, Saul's jealousy and fear led him to pursue David, relentlessly.
Speaker 2: Seeking to take his life. The Cave of all the Adullam.
Speaker 1: One of the most notable instances of David's resistance recurred in the wilderness of Ngetti.
Speaker 2: Saw entered a cave to.
Speaker 1: Leave himself, underware that David and his men were hiding deeper inside. David's men saw that his providential opportunity to kill Saul, but David refused, saying the Lord had forbid me, which we just read. Instead, David secretly cut off a corner of Saul's robe, later revealing it to Saul as evidence of his loyalty and restraint. And then we're going I'm going to find another significant time of this happening in the wilderness of Zif, which is going to be in one Samuel twenty six, which is going to be a little bit further down. So we will go ahead and continue to read, and then we could probably go back to these notes. So let's go ahead and continue to read. So now we're in one Samuel twenty four, verse eight. David also arose afterward went out to the cave and called to Saul, saying, my Lord the King. And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with his face to the earth and bowed down. And David said to Saul, why do you listen to the words of men who say, indeed, David seeks your harm? Look this day of your eyes have seen the day the Lord delivered you today into my hand in the cave. And someone urged me to kill you, but my eyes spared you, and I said, I will not stretch out my hand against my Lord, for he is the Lord's anointed.
Speaker 2: Moreover, my father. See, yes, see the.
Speaker 1: Corner of the rope, of the corner of your robe in my head. Bra just showed it to him right For in that I cut off the corner of.
Speaker 2: Your robe and did not kill you.
Speaker 1: Know and see that there is neither evil nor rebellion in my hand.
Speaker 2: And I have not sinned against you.
Speaker 1: Yet you hunt my life to take it.
Speaker 2: So hold on, let me go back real quick. Okay, let me continue.
Speaker 1: Let the Lord judge between you and me, and let the Lord avenge me in you. But my hands shall not be against you, as the proverb, but the ancient says, wickedness proceeds from the wicked, but my hand shall not be against you. After whom has the King of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue a dead dog a flee? Therefore, let the Lord be judged and judge between you and me, and see and plead my case, and deliver me out of your hand, so it says, in.
Speaker 2: Trust God's justice.
Speaker 1: David refrained from taking vengeance into his own hands, declaring, may the Lord judge between you and me? In First Samuel twenty four verse twelve, which we just read, he trusted God to be the ultimate judge and avenger. And then in a First Samuel twenty four verse five, after cutting off a corner of Saul's robe, David was conscious stricken. This shows his sensitivity to sin and his desire to maintain a clear conscience before God.
Speaker 2: Amen to that. You see how David was.
Speaker 1: He was He was a man after God's heart. You know, he was basically trying. He would always try to follow what the Lord said, and most of the time, not all the time, he would go back to God and speak to him before he made a move, like you know, you notice that. But as we you know, as we go into verse twenty five, I mean chapter twenty five and twenty six, you're going to kind of see that he veers away from that, but then he comes back to it, you know. But sometimes the flesh takes over. Right, you're not always walking in the spirit, even if you're a man of God. You're trying to walk in the in the spirit as much as possible. And you could be a pastor of a church and every you know, Wednesday Sunday, you're you're teaching, and you know, and you're doing Bible stays on Thursdays, and you're you're always in the Word of God, and someone could cut you off in the freeway, and sometimes the flesh takes.
Speaker 2: Over and you might say, hey if you or hey, what is he doing?
Speaker 1: You know whatever, maybe lose your temper. Sometimes you're not always walking in the spirit. We want to try and walk in the spirit at all times, but sometimes you're not. David is human, Okay, He's only human. He does make mistakes. So we will see that in chapter twenty five. I don't want to do any spoiler alerts, but you will see, all right, So let's continue now. When in Onest Samuel twenty four verse sixteen. So it was when David had finished speaking these words of Saul that Saul says, is this your voice, my son, David, And Saul lift up his voice and wept. Okay, So what I would say is, this is the Saul that's that doesn't have.
Speaker 2: The evil spirit. This is the regular Saul. Okay.
Speaker 1: That's why you see, That's why he lifted up his voice and he wept. Now I'm not saying that the evil spirit's not still attacking him. I'm just saying, like, maybe right now it kind of took a step back and let Saul be Saul. But you kind of see how Saul kind of handles this conversation.
Speaker 2: Right, Let's see what he says.
Speaker 1: Then he said to David, you are more righteous than I, for you have rewarded me with good, whereas I have rewarded you with evil. And you have shown that this day how you have dealt with me. For when the Lord delivered me into your hand, you did not kill me. For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him get away safely? Therefore, may the Lord reward you with good for what you have done to this day, to me this day. And I know indeed that you shall surely be king.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So he says that, he says, I know you shall surely be king. So now he knows David is the one that's annoyed. That's really interesting, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand. Therefore, swear now to me by the Lord, that you will not cut off my descendants after me, and that you will not destroy my name from my father's house. So David swore to Saul, and Saul went home, but David and his men went to the up.
Speaker 2: To the stronghold. So the main thing that you want to.
Speaker 1: Understand here is that David did not just forgive Saul and just go, okay, cool, I'm just going to follow you home now, Saul and trust him. No. Sometimes, you know, as a Christian or a man of God, you know, you want to forgive people, but doesn't mean just because you're forgiving them, doesn't mean that you're going to put your one hundred percent trust that they're not going to do something bad to you. All you're doing is you're literally forgiving them, and you know you're.
Speaker 2: You're that's what you're doing there, you know.
Speaker 1: And so David swore to Sault, which means, you know, basically, he forgave him, and he swore to him that he would not know when he does become king, who would not cut off his family or his descendants.
Speaker 2: And Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold. Let me just see real quick.
Speaker 1: So in my notes, I want to go and find out what stronghold says means. But in my notes, let me see what it says. It says Saul's response, Saul's reaction to David's mercy was one of the temporary repentants, one of temporary repentance and acknowledgment of David's righteousness. This highlights the power of mercy to convict and transform arts. So yes, so highlights the power of mercy to convict. Yeah, so he gave Saul mercy. He know, he could have killed him right there. It could have been the last time he ever saw his son again, could be the last time he ever saw his wife again, last time he ever saw his daughters again, the last time he ever breathed air, drink water, eat food. It could have been it David had him, He could have killed him, you know. And then David would have took the throne, so and Jonathan would have been alive. And honestly, if he would have killed Saul right there, Jonathan probably have been alive to see David actually become king.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But you see how the power of mercy convicts and transform hearts. So Saul probably felt some type of way right there. I don't believe he had that that evil spirit's not fully gone from him. If it was fully gone from him, I believe that maybe this is just be speculating that I maybe Saul would have maybe had a different change of heart, but that that spirit came on him and it's just kept attacking him and making him. I think he made him pretty crazy in my in my opinion, and not able to think. But let's go ahead and go to find out what stronghold means, because I don't really know. And when I I was studying, I remember this pastor was talking about it about what stronghold.
Speaker 2: Oh, it says up to the hold and the king.
Speaker 1: James, and uh, what is the hold net prey net, pray fastness or stronghold and his men went up to the net?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: What stronghold means fastness or stronghold was in the hold David d not but abide in the hold on to the hold. Well, I see it a lot in First Samuel and Second Samuel. You know, whoever the author was, Well wherever it means, I don't really know because it says stronghold, but I don't even even that's the actual strong definition snares what one thing says here, but that stets isn't used in a different way. But yeah, I'm sorry, guys, I don't really know what that means. But it says David and his men went up to the stronghold. Okay, so, uh so we're done with that chapter and went fairly quick, but.
Speaker 2: About twenty five minutes.
Speaker 1: So we have some practical applications that you got it, you can use in your life. Practical practice restraint. In situations where we are wronged, we should exercise restraint and avoid taking matters into our own hands. Amen to that, that's for sure. We should pray about it, obviously, and take a step back and pray to God like how should I handle this situation?
Speaker 2: And Lord? And obviously that God is not going to tell you to do evil.
Speaker 1: So whatever you're whatever you were going to However, you were going to react to a situation, if you were going to react in evil, then you know that that's not God telling you to do it. That's the devil, right, So just practice restraint and make sure that you act with mercy and love. You know that God is help is pushing you to be that way and not for you to be doing evil. Maintain a clear conscience, be sensitive till the Holy Spirit's conviction, and strive to live with integrity even in small matters. Trust God's timing, Rely on God's justice and timing rather than seeking immediate retribution, show mercy, Extend mercy to others, knowing that it can be led to repentance and reconciliation.
Speaker 2: And then I remember earlier I.
Speaker 1: Was telling you guys, guys going to go back to thy notes. Right, I had a little bit more notes on David's restraint. Okay, I didn't really get to finish that. So in the Wilderness of Zip in First Samuel twenty six, verse nine, another significant episode occurred when David in absolute and affiliated Saul's camp. That's verse twenty Oh, that's verse twenty six. Oh, That's why I didn't want to read that I'm sorry. We'll go ahead and continue.
Speaker 2: We'll go ahead and continue. You guys, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about verse twenty six because I don't want any spoiler alerts. So let's check out some additional scriptures that do connect. We have Romans twelve, verse nineteen. Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written Vengeance's mind. I will repay, says the Lord, very very true. Right, do you need to take out your wrath and your anger on somebody. No, let God take out his wrath on that person. You just need to give mercy and don't avenge that person yourselves. Matthew five twenty four says, But I tell you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. So even though it's hard, I know it's very difficult. When someone's being mean to you, trying to bully you, making fun of you, taking advantage of you, persecuting you. What Jesus wants you to do is to love them pray for them. Okay, that is what a true Christian would do. Is it easy? No, it's not the easiest thing. Is it easy for everybody to do that. No, I'll be the first one to admit that's very hard. It was very hard before when I used to be like not Christian or not reading the Bible. Of course, now I don't really have any enemies.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, the.
Speaker 1: Persecution that happens to me is only online, and that doesn't bother me. When someone persecutes me online, it's like, Okay, I don't really care, but you know, I do put my do. I do put myself out to a lot of people. Right on this show, Cult Conspiracy Pray. They have, however, many members I don't even know they have so many people listen to the show. I have no clue how many people listen to this show. But I do put myself out to a lot of people, and some people are definitely haters.
Speaker 2: They'll be like, ugh, he's reading the Bible, you know. So I get that, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I love on them and pray for them because forgive them Father, they know not what they do is what Jesus says.
Speaker 2: That's what we should say too. Here we go next.
Speaker 1: It says Proverbs twenty verse twenty two, do not say I will avenge this evil.
Speaker 2: Wait on the Lord and he will deliver you.
Speaker 1: Those are just excellent verses for you to go to if you're having issues with somebody. And like I said, I always people I have issues with their online. I never have issues with people in person because I will diffuse the situation very quickly, because I don't fight with people unless it's on the battlefield in war. Okay, I'm not going to fight somebody.
Speaker 2: Over anything, you know.
Speaker 1: I only fight people overseas when we got to defend this country or if or if somebody comes into my home. All right, if somebody came into my house, you better be ready for a war. My one hundred round clip in my air fifteen and my other stuff. So anyways, but as far as outside of my home, you know, I'll protect my kids by any means necessary, you know.
Speaker 2: But this is these are great verses, these three verses.
Speaker 1: We need to make sure that we pay attention to this when we're having any type of issue with people. Okay, And that is the end of verse twenty four. And now we're going to go to twenty five. And just like some of some of the parts of Samuel, a lot of it is storylines, so it's kind of easy to kind of get into, and there's a lot, you know, the storyline. I don't really like to give you too much commentary on some of the storylines because I want you to make sure that you're you follow me along, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get too crazy in the commentary.
Speaker 1: But so next up, we have the death of Samuel that's going to be in a Samuel twenty five.
Speaker 2: So let's go ahead. Sorry, I got surprised at something.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me just do the intro first and then we will get into the death of Samuel. Okay, First, Samuel twenty five teaches the importance of wisdom, respect for authority, and understanding divine justice. Abigail's timely intervention, paired with her respect and acknowledgment of David's future authority, not only saves her household, but also impresses David, leading her to becoming his wife. That's why I went, because I studied. I studied twenty five all the way to the very very end, and I didn't get the very end, so I didn't even know he ended up marrying Abigail.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, Abigail, that's really interesting. David leading to her becoming his wife.
Speaker 1: God's justice, as seen in the ball's downfall, remind us that every action has consequences, and disrespectful and selfish actions often lead to downfall.
Speaker 2: This is quite interesting what we see here. But this is one of those times.
Speaker 1: Where David kind of starts walking in the in the flesh. You see it that he that he's most of the time, David is just a sweet, innocent person. And he keeps being like just innocent and just walking with God and going to God, should I do this?
Speaker 2: Should I do this? Lord?
Speaker 1: And you know, before he even does something, and he asks like here, let me ask the Lord, the Lord, you know, And I'm sure that that God appreciates you know that I would think, you know. But so Samuel, this is gonna be the death of Samuel. Samuel is the last of the judges. Okay, that's what's happening here. The last of the judges is about to pass away, and it is it.
Speaker 2: Happens to be Samuel.
Speaker 1: So we went through like four hundred and fifty years of judges or four hundred years of judge and you.
Speaker 2: Know, we when we read the.
Speaker 1: Book of Judges, and now Samuel was the last judge. So let's go ahead and check this out. It says, then Samuel died, and the Israelites gathered together and laminated for him and buried him at his home in Rama and David arose and went down to the wilderness of Paran.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me just go to my notes real quick.
Speaker 1: It says, this chapter begins with the death of Samuel, a significant prophet in Israel, also a judge. His passing marks the end of an era and sets the stage for the unfolding events. Now, Samuel died and all Israel assembled and mourned for him, and they buried him at his home in Ramah. First Samuel twenty five, verse one. So yeah, it said that the and the Israelites gathered together and laminated for him, which is mourned for him.
Speaker 2: That's what that means. They mourned for him.
Speaker 1: So it's it's interesting because Samuel's life was amazing, but his mother, Hannah, couldn't have children. Prayed to God, she was barren. She prayed, she prayed, she prayed. The other woman was making fun of her.
Speaker 2: She prayed. She ends up having Samuel.
Speaker 1: She dedicated Samuel to Eli, the priest, and then the priest ends up having two sons that were evil and wicked, and then he raised Samuel. Samuel did an amazing job. So Samuel just did did great things. And the Lord was constantly speaking through Samuel, and you know, it was it was it was awesome reading about his journey and everything, you know. So I'm sure that's why they all were mourning for him, just because he did an amazing job being a judge, a priest, you know, and a prophet. Right, he did great at all those. So let's go ahead and read. Think I had a verse.
Speaker 2: To to read, So let me just read this real quick before we start.
Speaker 1: James One, verses twelve through fifteen. Blessed is the man who endures temptation from when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to.
Speaker 2: Those who love him.
Speaker 1: Let no one say when he is tempted, I am tempted by God. For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desire and entice. Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is full grown, brings forth death. So the reason why I bring this up is because that last part there where it says that when it's talking about gives birth to sin and sin, you know, you kind of see where David kind of gets a little crazy.
Speaker 2: But really it's this.
Speaker 1: The Baal character that we're gonna read about that is really the sinful man. So let's go ahead and read it and see what we got here. So this is gonna be first Samuel twenty five, verse two. Now there was a this is David and the wife of Nebal. Now there was a man in Moan whose business was in caramel carmel. And the man was very rich. He had three thousand sheep and a thousand goats, and he was sharing his sheep in carmel. The name of the man was Noble. And just let you guys know that his.
Speaker 2: Name no Ball. It actually means fool.
Speaker 1: I don't know why his parents would name him the ball, but he definitely lives up to his name. And it says and the name of his wife Abigail, And she was a woman of good understanding or good discernment is what other translations say, and beautiful appearance. But the man was harsh and evil in his doings. He was of the House of Caleb. Okay, we know who Caleb was. You know, eighty two years old, ended up entering the Promised Land. He was one of the twelve spies that went over to check out the giants and came back gave a good report like Joshua did, and then the other ten gave a bad report, and none of none of their families, None of those people got to enter the Promised Land. Only their children, right, and but Caleb and Joshua, they ended up.
Speaker 2: Going to the Promised Land.
Speaker 1: This is the House of Caleb, so you guys remember, but you see what it says here. She was a woman of good understanding and beautiful appearance. So I'm sure that Nebal had money, and you know, back then it was a setup wedding, so this is just me speculating. But you know her, even though she's beautiful and she's really obviously she has good, great understanding. I'm sure the parents just ended up maybe getting thinking, hey, this guy could take.
Speaker 2: Care of her for the rest of her life, you know.
Speaker 1: And the man is evil in his doings, all right, so you know that he was harsh on her and evil in his doings, right, But she's beautiful, right, And the only other people that are described like that in the Bible is Rachel and Esther. Just so you guys know that, I'm sure that Sarah was also great at discerning, but Sarah was described as beautiful, and Rebecca was described as beautiful as well. But when it's talking about discerning or good understanding and beautiful in appearance, the only other two were Rachel and Esther.
Speaker 2: Okay, so just wan't to let you know that, all right.
Speaker 1: Let's go to first Sebuel twenty five, verse four, when David heard in the wilderness that the ball was sharing his sheep. Sharing is like a time of Ah, it's like like when you harvest.
Speaker 2: Like basically, it's the same thing as like when you harvest crops.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a time of you know, you have a whole bunch of crops, and it's a time to kind of you know, you have a bunch of it's like you're all your work that you've.
Speaker 2: Done, you finally get to this point. And that's what that means. Shearing the sheep. Let's uh, let's see if.
Speaker 1: Let's see what the biblical definition of shearing.
Speaker 2: Sheep is sheep Bible biblical meaning.
Speaker 1: In the Bible, sheep sharing represented more than a farm chore.
Speaker 2: It was cultural, culturally significant.
Speaker 1: Salibatory event which often marked by feasting and social gathering, as well as a time for economic gain. You see, that's what I'm meant by that, and giving the first fruits to priests. Symbolically, the imagery of sheep before shears in Isaiah fifty three seven highlights themes of humility, sacrifice, and submission. They made it for Christians interpret his prophecy of Jesus. This event also are his Jesus' suffering and redemptive work. This event also served as a backdrop for significant narratives such as David's interactions.
Speaker 2: With the ball and the habitual rise. In the Davidic dynasty.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, sheep sharing was a major event of colvinial gathering that brought communities together for banquets and festivities. So it's like a big deal, okay, So just want to let you guys know that, I just want to give you the biblical definition so you kind of know exactly what's happening there.
Speaker 2: Here we go. So let me go ahead and continue.
Speaker 1: David sent ten young men and David said to the young men, go up to Carmel, go to the bal and greet him in my name. And thus, okay, so greet him in my name. So just want to let you guys know what that means. When when he says, greet nebal in his name, it's just basically like it's like David speaking right, So.
Speaker 2: It holds authority.
Speaker 1: It's kind of similar to the way we pray when we say, Father God, in the name of Jesus, right, So we're speaking as if we're Jesus. We're speaking in Jesus's name to God because Jesus is righteous and sinless and he's able to speak to God. So we say Father God in the name of Jesus.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Very similar.
Speaker 1: So right here it says, go up to Carmel, go to the baal and greet him in my name. And in verse six it says, and thus you say to him who lives in prosperity, peace be with you, Peace to your house, and peace to all you have. Now I have heard that you have shears. Your shepherds were with us, and we did not hurt them, nor was there anything missing from them. All the while they were in carmel, ask your young men, and they will tell you. Therefore, let my young man find favor in your eyes, for we come on a feast day. Please give whatever comes to your hand to your servants and to your son David.
Speaker 2: All right, And it says so.
Speaker 1: When David's young men came, they spoke in the ball according to all these words, in the name of David and waded. Then the Ball answered David's servants and said, who is David? And who is the son of Jesse? And there were many servants nowadays who break away each other, break away each other from his master. Shall I then take my bread and my water and my meat that I have killed for my shears, and give it to the men whom I do not know where they are from.
Speaker 2: Okay, so just let's just pause there real quick. Okay.
Speaker 1: So in the Ball's Foolishness, Okay, the ball, whose name means fool, is described as harsh.
Speaker 2: And evil in his dealings. This is in my notes.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, Despite David's protection of his shepherds, the Ball refuses to provide for David, and uh, we just good clock out of that. Despite David's protection of his shepherd's the ball refuse to provide for David and his men. But the ball answered, David servants who is David and who is the son of Jesse? So understand something. What was happening is David has his pints out next to the ball's shepherds, right, so he has all of his tents, all of his men out there, and the Philistines what they would do is they would come and they would they would take people's sheep. So David's men were there protecting these sheep. Now didn't the ball have any type of agreement with him? Did the ball go to David beforehand and say, hey, David, listen, listen, listen brother, you know, son of Jesse. If you protect all my sheep for the year, what I'm going to do is at the end of the year, I'm going to give you my food, water and bread.
Speaker 2: At the festivity. Okay, cool, No, he didn't do that.
Speaker 1: All David is saying is, look, we protected your shepherds and your sheep for the entire year basically against the Philistines coming in and taken over. So all we're asking for is whatever you can provide us. Is it looks like David and his men needed food and this, and David also is about to become king.
Speaker 2: Okay, and the Ball is a jerk, that's what it says.
Speaker 1: You know, he's does he doesn't handle situations correctly. So who's in the right here, Well, I would think that God's law would say that you take care of David's men. Okay, So the Ball's not following God's law, so he's not in the right. But also David is kind of coming in, like you'll see what David does after he finds out what this man says. So so in verse twelve, it says, so David's young men turned on their heels and went back, and they came and told him all these words. Then David said to his and every man gird on his sword. Okay, every man gird on his sword, like basically, grab your sword, let's go to they're about to handle business. So every man girded on his sword, and David also girded his sword, like, hey, I'm taking my sword, and you guys grab your sword.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: And about four hundred men went with David in two hundred stayed with the supplies. So he's got six hundred men. Two hundred stay back with the supplies. Four hundred are going with David, okay, and David is basically coming out of anger. Okay, So let's go ahead and pause there real quick, and see what I have in my notes about this. It says David's anger. David, feeling gets sulted and disrespected, prepares to take vengeance on the ball. His response highlights the human tendency to react in anger. David said to his men, eats, one of you, strap on your sword. That's what gird your sword means, strap on your sword. Were about to handle business, right, That's pretty much what it means in English.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and continue. And I shouldn't even be This is not a laughing matter. I'm sorry, guys, I don't mean to laugh. It's just I'm a I'm a.
Speaker 1: Soldier at heart and a warrior myself, So I understand where he's coming from, and I understand how it is to live in the flesh. I've fought many times in the flesh, so I understand. But uh so, let's go ahead and continue here and for Samuel twenty five, verse fourteen. Now, one of the young men told Abigail Naball's wife, who Okay, So we told Abigail.
Speaker 2: His wife, Nayball's wife.
Speaker 1: Now, what did it say about Abigail? It says that she's discerning.
Speaker 2: Or what did it say earlier? How did this?
Speaker 1: She was a woman of good understanding, is what it says, or discernment. Okay, so that's what she is. So now let's see how Abigil handles. Okay, So the young man told Abigail. Probably the young man was like, hey, I just heard them talk right now, and uh, he disrespected David. And there's six hundred men out there. Abigail just letting you know. You know, one of the young men told Abigail. That's all it says, told Abigail told a bigil what wow, I would think he's saying, Hey, this is what Dave Ball just told David David's men, and David's men did about face and headed right back to David. Here's what it says, saying, Look, David sent messengers from the wilderness.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and it's actually here explaining it. Explain it.
Speaker 1: Look, David sent messengers from the wilderness to greet our master, and he reviled them.
Speaker 2: But the men were very good to us. And so this is one of the sheep.
Speaker 1: The young men, I think is probably one of the sheep herders right, or the shepherds. It says, but the men were very good to us, and we were not hurt, nor did we miss anything, as long as we accompanied them. When we were in the field, they were a wall to us, both by day or by night, and by day all the time we were with him keeping the sheep. Now, therefore, know and consider what you will do, for harm is determined against our master and against all of his household. For he is such a scoundrel that one cannot.
Speaker 2: Speak to him. Wow. I'm surprised that it says that. So wow, that guy, even though that is even though.
Speaker 1: That's his master, he said he's such a scoundrel that one cannot speak to him, probably thinking, hey, you're his wife, can he please go speak to him? And instead of him speaking to Since she knows that Nabel is a jerk and hard to deal with, she takes everything into her own hands.
Speaker 2: And look what she does.
Speaker 1: Then Abigail went. Abigail made haste and took two hundred loaves of bread, two skins of wine, five sheep already dressed, five sets of roasted grain. Our sea roasted grain, one hundred clusters of the raisins, two hundred kates of figs, and loaded them on donkeys. And she said to her servants, go on before me, see I am coming after you. But she did not tell her husband, Ayball. Obviously she's not gonna tell her husband because her husband is not easy to deal with, and he probably would have denied that she does this. And if she did do this, he probably would be mad at her. Maybe he wanted to harm her in some type of way. But I definitely wanted to say, well, I'll talk about it after. Let's continue reading first Samuel twenty five, verse twenty. So it was that she wrote on her donkey that she went down under cover on the hill and there were David and his men coming down toward her, and she met them. So they were on their way to take care of business. Now, David said, sure in vain, I have protected all that this fellow in the wilderness, so that nothing has missed all that belongs to him, and he has repaid me evil for good. May God do so and more also to the enemies of David, if I leave one male of who belonged to him, by morning light meaning David is about to go in there with his men and slay all the males of his family.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's not going there to play.
Speaker 1: So he said, if I leave one male who belonged to him by morning light, and that could be his servants too, he could be killing all the servants and also him, Nabel, and also all the males being all like maybe all of his sons.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: He's gonna go in there and handle it, right, it sounds like, so we'll stop there really quick. Oh yeah, we already talked about that. Okay, now we're gonna read verse twenty three. I'll go to my notes after I read twenty three. Now, when Abigail saw David, she dismounted quickly from the donkey, fell in her face before David and bowed down to the ground as she fell at his feet and said, oh, oh me, my lord, on me, let this iniquity be, and please let your maid servants speak in your ears and hear the words of your maid servant.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: So's let's stop there.
Speaker 1: So Abigail's intervention Abigail Neval's wife, why is it discerning? Wife acts quickly to prevent disasters. She approaches David with humility and wisdom, offering gifts and pleading for mercy. When Abigail saw David, she quickly got off the donkey, fell face down to David and bowed to the ground. Okay, she knows what you're supposed to do. That's what that gentleman should have done. Because as you read this, you could tell that she knows he's going to become king, and she knows a lot about David. So na Ball should have known a lot about David as well, acting like he doesn't know who the son of Jesse is.
Speaker 2: So in Abigail's.
Speaker 1: Intervention is a significant narrative found in the first Book of Samuel, especially in On Samuel twenty five.
Speaker 2: This account unfolds during.
Speaker 1: The period of David's fugitive years, when he was fleeing from King Saul. Abigail is introduced as the intelligent and beautiful wife, and the Ball a wealthy but surely foolish man from Moan whose business was in Carmel.
Speaker 2: So what is the uh?
Speaker 1: Well the theological and moral insights abigail intervention is often highlighted as an example of peacemaking and wise counselor. Her action demonstrates the power of humility, courage, and discernment, and diffusing potential violence and achieving reconciliation. This narrative also underscores themes of divine justice and providence, as God intervenes to protect David and to bring about in the ball's downfall without David restoring to violence. Abigail's role as a mediator reflects the Biblical ideal of using wisdom to tack to avert tack, to avert conflict, and promote peace. Okay, I just want to go over that at so that you know about her as we're reading these verses.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's go back.
Speaker 1: And we'll see what happens in First Samuel twenty five, verse thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Later, all right, here we go.
Speaker 1: So in verse twenty five, we're in First Samuel twenty five, verse twenty five. Please let my lord regard his scoundrel, the ball, for his name is for as his name is, so is he a fool? Right, that's what his name means. The ball is his name, and folly is with him or fool. But I, your maid servant, did not see the young man of my lord whom you sent. Now, therefore, my Lord as the Lord lives and as your soul lives. Since the Lord has held you back from coming to bloodshed and from avenging yourself.
Speaker 2: With your own hand.
Speaker 1: Now, then let your enemies and those who seek halm from my Lord be as the ball. All right, So she is bringing up God obviously he's to bring up the Lord, saying that the Lord has held you back from coming to bloodshed, from avenging yourselves. Very smart the way she's speaking, she is kind of putting David a little bit in his place, like, Hey, remember that the Lord stops you from bloodshed, right, remember that, right? And then she's also kind of saying that instead of you taking the ball, you can take me, right, and probably gets David feeling some type of way.
Speaker 2: And let's continue.
Speaker 1: And now this present which your matesron has brought to you, my Lord, let it be given to you to the young men who follow my Lord. And he keeps calling him my lord. Right, he's going to become king, and she knows it. Please forgive the trespass of your maid servant, for the Lord will certainly make for my lord an enduring house, because my Lord fights the battles of the Lord, and the evil is not found in you throughout your days. Yet a man has risen to pursue you and seek your life. But the life of my Lord shall be in the bundle of the living, with the Lord your God, and the lives of your enemies. He shall sling out as from the pocket of a sling, speaking of when he fought against Goliath right talked about this, the pocket of a sling. And it shall come to pass when the Lord has done from my Lord according to all the good that he has spoken concerning you, and has appointed.
Speaker 2: Your l you ruler over Israel.
Speaker 1: So she knows about David, she knows's going to be king. The Baal would have to know that this will be no grief to you.
Speaker 2: Nor offense of heart to my lord. Need either that.
Speaker 1: You have shed blood without cause or that my Lord has avenged himself. But when the Lord has dealt well with my Lord, then remember your maid servant. Okay, So we see what's going on there and see how she's speaking to him with respect, calling to my Lord, say he's going to be ruling over Israel.
Speaker 2: You're going to be king. She knows you're going to be king, and she's just basically.
Speaker 1: Doing a very good job of being understanding and speaking.
Speaker 2: Beautifully, and she's beautiful as well.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure David is kind of dumbfounded here, and we'll see how he handles it. Then David said to Abigail, blessed is the Lord God of Israel who sent you this day to me. And he says it with the excamation point, so he's kind of like saying it like pretty loud and wants to express himself. And blessed is your advice, And blessed are you because you have kept me this day from coming to bloodshed and from avenging myself in my own hand.
Speaker 2: For indeed, as the.
Speaker 1: Lord God of Israel lives, who has kept me back from hurting you. Unless you had hurried and come to meet me, surely my morning light, no mails would.
Speaker 2: Have been left to Nebaal.
Speaker 1: So David received from her hand what she had brought him and said to her, go up in peace to your house. See I have needed your voice and respected your person. Okay, now, so he accepted the gifts. And in that culture, if you bring these gifts, you need them to accept it. If they accept it, then usually you're good. Kind of the same thing happened when Esaul and Jacob was meeting, and Jacob kept bowing down to him before he got to him, and he said, I got all these gifts I want to gift to you. And Esaul said, no, brother, don't worry about it. No, no, no, you need to.
Speaker 2: Accept these gifts. Like he kept on.
Speaker 1: He was very very persistent because in that culture, if you offer these gifts and he would have denied it, then she would have went home thinking, Okay, that's it, we're done. You know, even though he might have said, hey, don't worry, I'm not going to do anything now, just take your stuff and go home, she would have felt like she didn't complete her mission, and she probably would have felt even worse. But let's see how the Ball handles this, because as you know, the ball is a jerk, right, doesn't really handle situations correctly. Let's go ahead first, Samuel twenty five, verse thirty six. Now Abigail went to the Ball, and there was holding a feast in his house, like the feast of a king. And the Ball's heart was merry within him, for he was very drunk. Therefore, she told him nothing little or much until morning light. So it was in the morning when the wine had gone from the ball, and his wife had told him these things. That his heart died within him and he became like a stone. Then it happened, after about ten days that the Lord struck the ball and he died.
Speaker 2: So wow. So the Lord struck the ball and he died. Wow.
Speaker 1: So divine justice is what you see? Divine justice indeed, So let's go ahead and check this out. So God deals with the ball striking him dead. This is my notes after he learns of the events. This demonstrates God's justice and sovereignty. About ten days later, the Lord struck the ball dead and divine.
Speaker 2: Justice what is that?
Speaker 1: Divine justice refers to the righteous and fairness of God and his dealings with humanity and creation.
Speaker 2: It is essential. It is an essential.
Speaker 1: Attribute to God's character, reflecting his holiness and moral perfection. Divine justice ensures that God acts in accordance with his nature, rewarding righteousness and punishing wickedness. The concept of divine justice is deeply rooted in scripture. The Bible consistently betrays God as a just judge who administers justice impartially. In Deuteronomy thirty four thirty two, Verse four, God is described as the rock. His work is perfect, for all his ways are just. A God faithfulness without injustice, righteousness, and upright is he. This verse underscores the perfection and fairness inherit in God's nature justice in the Old Testament. In the Old Testament, divine justice is often associated with God's covenant relationship with Israel. The law given to Moses, including the Ted Commandments, reflects God's standards of justice and righteousness. Leviticus nineteen, verse fifteen commands.
Speaker 2: You must not pervert justice.
Speaker 1: You must not show partiality to poor or favoritism to the rich, for you are a judge your neighbors fairly. This highlights the expectation for human justice to mere divine justice.
Speaker 2: In the New Testament.
Speaker 1: Like Romans three, verse twenty five through twenty six, God presented himselves as an atoning sacrifice through faith in his blood. He demonstrates his righteousness because of his forbeance. He had passed over the sins committed beforehand. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness as the present time, as as to be just and.
Speaker 2: Justify the one who has faith in Jesus Christ. Okay, So conclusion is.
Speaker 1: Divine justice is a central theme in the Bible, reflecting God's holy and righteous nature and assurance believers of God's fair and impartial judgment both in the present and in the future. Though Christ through Christ Jesus, God's justice is perfectly fulfilled, offering redemption and the hope of eternal life to those who believe. Now we got to understand, guys, that God is striking the ball dead. We got to be careful, be careful when we're doing certain things to certain people. Obviously God can intervene. So if you are, you know, hopefully nobody listened to this podcast has the type of personality in the ball has, because I hope that nobody does, because that's definitely not the way we handle it stuff as Christians. But man, God just struck him dead ten days later. That's it's what happens. Is like I said, it's divine justice Verse Samuel twenty five, verse thirty nine. So when David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, blessed be the Lord who has pleaded the cause of my reapproach from the hand of the bal and he has kept a servant from evil. For the Lord has returned the wickedness of the ball in his own head and David sent and proposed to Abigail to take her as his wife.
Speaker 2: Look at that, dude. When the when the servants of David had come to Abigail to Carmel, they spoke to her saying, David has sent us to you to ask you to become his wife, so she must have everything.
Speaker 1: She was speaking to him. She was probably beautiful. She probably just left him dumbfound it. Like I said earlier, That's why I didn't want to say it, but yeah, I was like, I saw he that sel it said that she ended up becoming his wife. I kind of in the in the intro, I kind of messed that up, but uh yeah, I was like, wow, David Man, David David David Man, Like, this guy is a interesting character here. So she knows he's going to be king and she deserves a good man. She was with the one rich guy, so you might as well get with another person. That's even though he's not rich at the moment, he's going to become king and he knows it.
Speaker 2: And David sent proposed to Abigail to take her as a wife.
Speaker 1: When the servant said David had come to Abigail at Carmel, they spoke to her, saying, David sent us to you to ask you to become his wife. And then she arose, bowed her face to the earth, and said, here's your maid servant, a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord. So Abigail rose in haste and rode on a donkey, attended by five of her maidens, and she followed the messengers of David and became his wife. David also took an amim of Giselle, and so both of them were his wives. So he's got two wives, right, He's got two wives.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: So oh no, he handles two wives. Oh, I forgot. He also has McCall, So that's three wives.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, but Saul had given McCall his daughter, David's wife, to Patty, the son of Leish, oh, who was from Galen. Okay, So looks like McCall, who was David's wife, got with somebody.
Speaker 2: Else, uh, the son of Leish who was from Gayleen. Okay.
Speaker 1: So wow, A whole bunch of Game of Thrones ness happened in here.
Speaker 2: To see. This is a lot of action going on.
Speaker 1: It's crazy set. That's why I'm looking forward to the House of David part you know, the season two It was a pretty good movie. There's a few things that they obviously added and took away, but most of it was kind of going along with the Bible.
Speaker 2: Pretty good stuff. I really enjoyed that that that.
Speaker 1: Show something I could show my wife to kind of get her back into the Word again. You know, she's she's she's listening to the Word. I think she's probably up to where I'm at right now, just kind of staying pretty neck and neck. What she does she puts the Bible app on and it reads to her while the kids are falling asleep, and you know, so that way they're listening to.
Speaker 2: The Word before they go to bed. So it's good stuff. But all right, practical lappings.
Speaker 1: We're done with chapter twenty five, so let's go over some practical applications. So we have seek wisdom in conflict, Like Abigail, we should seek wisdom and discernment in times of conflict, aiming to be peacemakers. Yes, and see she acted the way she acted, and look what ended up happening. Yeah, her husband died, but obviously she was not happy with that guy.
Speaker 2: She knows he was a jerk.
Speaker 1: Who's probably a total jerker all the time, and you kind of tell control anger. David's initial reaction shows the danger of acting in anger. We must acting in anger. We must learn to control our emotions and seek God's guidance. Next, trust in God's justice. Instead of taking matters into your own hands. We should trust that God will bring justice in his time. Yes, everybody will be judged. You know, we don't need to be the judge. We just need to be the ones that are giving mercy love. We don't need in grace. Right, we don't need to be taking stuff in our own hands unless it is somebody coming into your oh, your home, okay. The Bible says that explicitly in Leviticus that if someone comes into your home to harm you or your family, you are allowed to take care of business. All right, So make sure that.
Speaker 2: You're not just like, all right, you come into my home.
Speaker 1: To rob my house and rape and pillage. Well, I'm gonna give you mercy and grace. Do whatever you want. You want my safe, here you go, you want this, here you go, no problem. Gracy and grace and mercy to you. Better protect your home, be a person of influence, okay, be a person of influence, my ear, Abigail's actions remind us that one person's courage and wisdom can change the course of events. So you see what happened her her actions? It was amazing, right, perfect, She did exactly what she was supposed to do, and it changed the course of events for sure. All right, let's check out some additional scriptures that connect.
Speaker 2: M exuse me.
Speaker 1: We have Proverbs fifteen, verse one. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Abigails jumped. Abigail's gentle approach to David exemplifies this truth. James one, verse nineteen and twenty. My beloved brothers understand this. Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for man's anger does not bring about the righteousness that God desires. Perfect verse for this. Definitely, this is just a great verse that connects with Samuel twenty five. Okay, Perfect Romans twelve, verse nineteen, do not avenge yourself's beloved, but leave room for God's wrath. We already went over that earlier, for it has written Vengas's mind, pay says the Lord.
Speaker 2: This is also a good verse for this section. All right, let's go ahead, keep going.
Speaker 1: It's a late night already. I apologize, guys. If I yawn, it's.
Speaker 2: Not I'm not trying to yawn them. Believe me.
Speaker 1: It's a I already had a long day today. Here we go, here we go, but we keep it moving, guys, it doesn't matter. Rainslee, hail snow. I'm gonna still continue to do this show, right, no matter what.
Speaker 2: All right, burse Samuel twenty six, Do.
Speaker 3: I have any Do I have any other notes over here for this chapter?
Speaker 2: Let me just make sure. Nope, and I don't have anything for twenty six? Nope.
Speaker 1: Cool, Now I got my other notes over here for twenty six, perven, I don't need that phone anymore. All right, let's go over the intro. David again spares Saul first. Samuel twenty six reveals David steadfast faith in God's timing and authority, despite being relentlessly pursued by Saul. David shows an extraordinary example of mercy, respect, and honor towards God's anointed king. His actions underline the belief that vengeance belongs to God alone, and it is not our place to supersede his judgment. David's story in this chapter encourages us to display integrity even in the face of injustice, trusting that God sees and will right every wrong in his perfect timing. Excuse me, yes, make sure that we yes, so trusting in God to see the well right every wrong, and it's perfect time in awesome. So let's go ahead and go to Let's go ahead and go to first Samuel twenty six, Verse one, David spear saw a second time. Now the Zip fights came to Saul and Gibbea, saying, is David not hiding in the hill of Heklau opposite Jesshamon. Then saw arose and went down to the wilderness of Zip, having three thousand chosen men of Israel with him to seek David in the wilderness of Zip.
Speaker 2: So you see, al Saul kind of.
Speaker 1: Said that you're gonna be king and kind of gave him all this mercy and stuff and all that in verse twenty four or in chapter twenty four. Well, you see already in chapter twenty six that Saul forgets, you know, that discerning spirit is over him again, or not discerning spirit, but that spirit is over him again, and he's right back at trying to get David right. He says, in Saul encamped in the hill of Hekelau, which is opposite of Jesshamon by the road. But David stayed in the wilderness, and he saw well, and he saw that Saul came after him in the wilderness. David therefore sent out spies and understood that Saul had indeed come. Okay, so the zeph fyights kind of snitched on on David right. So so David so on first Amuel twenty six, first five, first five, it says, so David arose and came to the place where Saul had encamped. And David saw the place where Saul lay, and after the son of Ner, the commander of his army, now saw lay within the camp and the people encamped all around him. Then David answered and said to a Himmelech the Hittite, and Abershaw, the son of Zora, brother of Joe ab saying, who will go down with me to Saul in the in the camp. And Apshai said, I will go down with you. So David and Apshai came to the people by night, and there saw they sleeping within the camp. With his spears stuck to the ground by his head, and the people lay around him. Then Abishai said to David, God has delivered your enemy into your hand this day. Now, therefore, please let me strike him and once with a spear right to the earth, and I will not have to strike him a second time. So he wants to take the spear and put it straight through his heart.
Speaker 2: And let's see what David does.
Speaker 1: But David said to Abishai, do not destroy him, for who can stretch out his hand against the Lord's anointed and be guiltless. And David said, furthermore, as the Lord lives, the Lord shall strike him, and his day shall come to die. He shall go out to battle and perish. So he is prophesying about him right there. It says that he shall go out.
Speaker 2: To battle and perish. We'll see what happens later.
Speaker 1: But uh, let's go ahead and check out what my notes say. Says David had the perfect opportunity to kill Saul, who was sleeping in this camp, but he.
Speaker 2: Chose to spare him.
Speaker 1: But David said to Abashide, do not destroy him, for he cannot lift a hand against the Lord's annoyed and guiltless. This demonstrates David's respect for God's anointed and his trust in God's timing. This is the other portion that I was talking about in my other notes. Let's continue in First Samuel twenty six, verse eleven. The Lord forbid that I should stretch out my hand against the Lord's annoyed But please take now the spear and the jug of water that are by his head, and let us go. So David took the spear and the jug of water by Saul's head, and they got away, and no man saw or knew it or awoke, for they were asleep because a deep sleep from the Lord had fallen on them.
Speaker 2: So it looks like God was keeping them asleep and keeping David safe. Okay, so.
Speaker 1: I think that David was also receiving a word from the Lord right there when he says, as the Lord lives, the Lord shall strike him. I'm sorry, okay, sorry, my sister just texted me something that I was reading real quick.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's continue.
Speaker 1: I apologized that was a text message and then expect to receive. But so, what I think happened is I think the Lord was actually speaking through David. Here it says, as the Lord lives, the Lord shall strike him on his day shall come to die, and he sh she shall go out to battle in Paris. The Lord forbid that I should stretch out my hand, So I think God was telling him not to kill him at that moment, and and and.
Speaker 2: Take this spear.
Speaker 1: And then so the Lord put him in a deep sleep, right, So I think that's Uh.
Speaker 2: Let me make sure my phone is on silent, because I don't want that anymore.
Speaker 1: It's very hard to uh, it's very hard when you get interrupted during a show.
Speaker 2: So let's go ahead, and let's.
Speaker 1: Also take a look at So we stopped there. They had fallen, so we stopped then verse thirteen.
Speaker 2: So I'll go and highlight that. So respect for authority.
Speaker 1: David's action shows a deep respect for the authority God has established, even when his authority is flawed. He acknowledges Saul as the Lord's anointed and refrains from taking matters into his own hands. Okay, we kind of see that there, So let's go in and continue and see what happens. So first Samuel twenty six, verse thirteen. Now David went over to the other side and stood on the top of the hill afar off a great distance between them, and David called out to the people to Abner, the son of Nurse, saying do you not answer Abner? And Abner answered and saying who are you calling out by the king? Calling out to the king. So David said to Abner, are you not a man? And who is like you in Israel?
Speaker 2: Would?
Speaker 1: Why then have you not guarded your lord the king? For one of the people came in to destroy your king, Your lord the king. This thing that you have done is not good, as the Lord lives. You deserve to die because you have not guarded your master, the Lord's anointed. And now see where the king's spear is, and the jug of water was by his head. Then saw new David's voice and said, is that your voice, my son David? David said, it is my voice, O Lord, my lord, O King. And he said, why does my lord thus pursue his servant for that I have not done? For what have I done? Or what evil is in my hand?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Therefore, please let my lord the King hear the words of his servant. If the Lord has stirred up you against me, let him accept an offering. But if it is his children of but if it is the children of men. May they be cursed before the Lord, for they have driven me out this day from sharing in the inheritance of the Lord, saying, go serve other gods. So now do not let my blood fall to the earth before the face of the Lord. For the King of Israel has come out to seek a flea, as when one hunts a partridge in the mountains. Then Saul said, I have sinned, returned my son, David, for I will harm you no more because my life was precious in your eyes this day. Indeed, I have played the fool and aerd exceedingly. So you see his Saul once again, you know, trying to tell him, hey, just come on, David, come on down, let's be friends again. Right, So it's kind of interesting. Let's see what David says. And David answered, saying, here's the King's spear. Let one of the young men come over and get it. May the Lord repay every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness. For the Lord delivered you into my hand today, but I would not stretch out my hand against the Lord's anointed. And indeed, as your life was vault much this day in my eyes, So let my life be valued. Sorry, as your life was valued much in this day in my eyes. So let my life be valued much in the eyes of my Lord, of the Lord, and let him deliver me out of all tribulation.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then Saul said to David, may you be blessed, my son, David, you shall both do great things and also still prevail. So David went on his way and Saul returned to his place. So you see that David once again did not say, Okay, Saul, sounds good man.
Speaker 2: We're good now. Yeah, let's go ahead and shake hands.
Speaker 1: All right, brother, let's go come on, guys, my six hundred men, come on down.
Speaker 2: We're good guys. No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: It says that David went on his way and Saul returned to his place. So the beef is obviously not over. But let's go ahead and check out moral integrity, okay. So in my notes it says David's integrity is highlighted as he chooses to do what is right in God's eyes rather than what is expedient or self serving. David's decision to spare Saul's reflects his faith that God will deal justly with Saul.
Speaker 2: In his own time.
Speaker 1: The Lord will we pay every man for his righteousness and faithfulness. For the Lord delivered you into my hand today. But I will not stretch out my hand against you the Lord's anointed. So faith in God's justice. Faith in God's justice is a central theme throughout the Bible. Let's kind of look a little deeper into that. We are done with the chapter, so we'll go ahead and go into some notes here before we go. And we are kind of flying through Samuel. Okay, we're already on twenty six. What do we have left all the way to? Like what thirty two thirty one?
Speaker 2: Perfect? Awesome? All right, So let's go ahead and check out.
Speaker 1: Faith in God's justice a central theme throughout the Bible, reflecting the belief that God is inherently just and righteous in all his ways. The faith is rooted in the understanding that God's justice is perfect and transcending human comprehension and ensuring the righteousness ultimately veils. And we kind of already talked about a few of these, like Deuteronomy thirty two four we talked about earlier. Let's see what it says in the Psalms frequently echoed the sentiment portraying God as righteous judge who upholds justice for the oppressed. In Psalms nine, verse seven and eight, it says, but the Lord abides forever. He has established his throne for judgment. He judges the world with justice, He governs the people with.
Speaker 2: Equality. Okay, it says equity. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Here the Psalmist expresses confidence in God's eternal reign and his commandment as equitable judge. Mackay six's eight.
Speaker 2: We kind of went over this a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: So in summary, faith in God's justice is a foundational aspect of the biblical narrative. Afirm me that God is righteous and just in all his ways. The faith caused believers to trust in his ultimate judgment and to reflect his justice in his.
Speaker 2: Own life in their own lives. So all right.
Speaker 1: And also, David had respect for authority. David's actually shows a deep respect for the authority of God is established. When his authority is flawed, he acknowledges saw as the Lord's anoyed it and refrains for taking the matters into his own hands. All right, perfect, all right, So we're done with chapter twenty six. Let's go ahead and check out some practical applications that you can use in your own life. Choosing forgiveness over revenge. Like David, we are all called to forgive those who wrong us and leave justice in God's hands. Next, respecting authority. Even when we disagree with those in authority, we should respect the positions they hold and trust God's work through them. And then another one would be trusting God's timing.
Speaker 2: We should have faith that God will bring about.
Speaker 1: Justice in his perfect timing rather than taking matters into your own hands.
Speaker 2: And the next one would be maintain integrity.
Speaker 1: Uphold integrity by doing what is right even when it is difficult or when no one is watching.
Speaker 2: That is such a main theme that we should live in our life because.
Speaker 1: Even though you feel like nobody's watching, someone is watching. God is watching, right, So when no one is around, like I'm talking about physically, like no person is around and your integrity is tested, God is watching. Okay, when you see money hanging out of someone's wallet, or you see money on the counter that's not yours.
Speaker 2: Or you see you know, an easy steal.
Speaker 1: Or you're at work and you're like, oh, you know what, I'm just gonna leave fifteen minutes early. No one will know you know all that stuff. Man, you just got to keep integrity. Okay, those are just little examples, but there's thousands of examples of integrity.
Speaker 2: And also.
Speaker 1: When you're gonna send you know, like okay, when you're nobody's around, you're by yourself, like, hey, you know what perfect timing no one's around. You know, I'm gonna go smoke a cigarette, or I'm gonna go do some dip, or I'm gonna go drink a beer. You know, my wife's not around or whatever. Whatever it is. You know that that that causes you to do that, and and maybe she doesn't agree with you doing it, you know, Uh, just maintain integrity even when no one is watching. That is so important. And that's something that I need to do and everybody on this earth needs to do, right, is maintain integrity even when no one is watching. Some people will have plenty of integrity when people are around, because they want to be boastful or they want people to say, hey, that person's so holy or look how good he is or whatever. But when no one's around, that's the time when it really counts. Right. All right, let's go check out some additional scriptures that connect we have.
Speaker 2: Matthew five point forty four is one that comes to mind.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's it's we already kind of went over earlier. But I tell you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. And then Proverbs twenty verse twenty two, do not say I will avenge this evil.
Speaker 2: Wait on the Lord. He will deliver you.
Speaker 1: So those we kind of already went over earlier, so perfect, we can just go on to First Samuel twenty seven now, okay, and then let me just switch to First Samuel twenty seven on the screen, all right, So yeah, probably next week we might end up finishing Samuel. We'll do what twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty and thirty one next week, Yeah, we'll probably end up finishing it, all right, So let's go over the intro for Samuel twenty seven. It's David and the Philistines. Despite finding himself in a precarious situation, David exhibits immense courage and strategic acumen. In First Samuel twenty seven. He demonstrates that God's guide can help navigate the most challenging of circumstances. The faith and the strength he shows are a testament to trust in God's larger plan. So let's go ahead and go into First Samuel twenty seven. It says David allied with the Philistines. And David said in his heart, this is a First Samuel twenty seven, verse one. And David said in his heart, Now shall I perish someday by the hand of Saul. There is nothing better for me than I should speedily escape to the land of the Philistines.
Speaker 2: And Saul will.
Speaker 1: Despair of me to seek me, anyone to seek me anymore in any part of Israel, so I shall escape out of his hand. Then David arose and went over with six hundred men who were with him to assh the son of Macau, the king of Gath. So David dwelt with Akish in Gath, he and his men, each man with his household, and David with his two wives, any whom the Jesuits, and Abaga of the Kramelites, the Juralites sorry, and n Abigail of the Kramelites, the Ball's widow. And now was told Saul that David had fled the gas.
Speaker 2: So he sought him no more. So we see that in so let's go to my.
Speaker 1: Notes, we'll cook David's fear and decision. But David thought to himself, once these days I will be destroyed by the hand of Saul.
Speaker 2: The best thing I could do was to escape to the land of the Philistines.
Speaker 1: David's decision was driven by fear for Saul, despite God's previous deliverance and promises. So kind of David started, he left. He left in fear, knowing that God's promise was that Saul would be delivered in battle and killed. Right. David even said that, So that's kind of crazy. So let's see what it says here. David, the second King of Israel and central theme of the Old Testament, is renewed for his faith, leadership, complex character in his life.
Speaker 2: But he had a fear of Saul.
Speaker 1: One of the most significant periods of fear in David's life occurred during his flight from King Saul, and the first King of Israel became increasingly jealous of David's success popularity, perceiving him as a threat to his throne, which you've already gone over. This jealousy turned into relent, this pursuit of In First Samuel twenty one through twenty seven, David's fear of Saul is palable as he becomes a fugitive, constantly on the move to evade Samuel's attempt for his life. And we kind of have already gone through a lot of all this, so I'm not going to go over all the stuff from Samuel for Samuel fifteen and all this other stuff, but I'll go ahead and just do a conclusion here. David's life, marked by fear and critical decisions, serves as a testament to the complexities of human emotion and the importance of faith. His experience reminds believers of.
Speaker 2: The necessity to seek God's.
Speaker 1: To seek God's guidance, and to act in integrity even in the face of fear. So let's go ahead and continue reading for Samuel twenty seven, verse five. Then David said to Is, she's now that I if I have found favor in your eyes, let them give me a place in some town in the country that I might dwell there. But why should your servant dwell in the royal city with you? So he's gave Ziglag that day, gave him Ziglag that day, zig Lag that day. Therefore Ziglag has belonged to the Kings of Judah to this day. Now, the time that David dwelt in the country of the Philistines was one full year and four months.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's very interesting. So David got some.
Speaker 1: Some time, you know, he has two wives. Now maybe he's like like kind of settling in a little bit. He still knows he's going to be king is it was promised to him the throne. But let's see what happens here living among the Philistines. Okay, so then let's go continue on my notes real quick. It says David saw refuged with Akish king OF's Gath, and has given the town of Ziglag. This move provided temporary safety, but also placed David in a morally complex situation living among idolatrs and enemies of Israel. Yeah, that's what I'm kind of surprised about. Man. David kind of maybe made a rash decision there. For Samuel twenty seven, verse eight, and David and his men went up and raided the Gershites, the Geerzites, and the Amalekites, for those nations were the inhabitants of the land of Old, and as for as you go to sure, even as far as the land of Egypt. Wherever David attacked the land, he left neither man nor women alive, but took away the sheep, the oxen, donkeys, and camels in the apparel, and returned and came to Akish. Then Akish would say, where have you made a raid today? And David would say, against the southern area of Judah, or against the southern area of the Gerremalites, or against the southern area of the Kennites.
Speaker 2: David would save.
Speaker 1: Neither man nor woman alive to bring news to Gath, saying lest they should inform us, saying, thus David did, and thus his behavior of all the time he dwelt in the country of the Philistines. So see a kiss, believe David saying he has made his people of Israel utterly abhor him.
Speaker 2: Therefore he will be my servant forever.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: So let's check out what it says, because this is already the end of the chapter. This is a really quick chapter, so we'll see what. Yeah, this is really really short, so we'll see what it says. In my notes. So Deception and Survival, David deceived a Kish about his raids, claiming he attacked Israelite territories when he actually targeted other groups. This deception highlights the ethical dilemmas David base while living in enemy territory. Wow, so yeah, we see that going on. And also so Acus thought David would be his servant forever, you know, and then God's sovereignty. Despite David's fear driven decision, God continued to protect and guide him. This chapter reminds us that God's plans are not thwarted by our missteps. So yeah, this chapter was very short, and it was only maybe three paragraphs, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all right, well we'll.
Speaker 1: See how fast these other chapters are. We'll get through them pretty quick. I have another twenty minutes. Let's go ahead and go over a couple of practical applications trusting God's promises. When fear threatens to overwhelm us, we must remember God's faithfulness and promises, choosing faith over fear. So obviously David did not choose faith over fear. He had two wives. It looks like he was trying to get away from Saul, and he kind of wanted to maybe live the good life for a little bit, and he had his six hundred men. Looks like he was raiding cities, but he was killing men, women, children, taking camels and all this stuff. Right, it would say that he attacked the land. He left neither man nor woman alive, so he is rating cities with these men. Seek God the counsel before making significant decisions, especially in times of distress. Seek guidance from God. And why is godly counsel? Integrity and different situations, Even in challenging circumstances, strive to maintain integrity and honesty. Trusting God to provide a way and then recognize God's sovereignty is another one. I acknowledge that God is in control even when our circumstances seem dire or our decisions are flawed. All right, So let's see if there's any connecting scriptures here. Obviously Proverbs three, verses five through six. Lean not on your own understanding, and all your ways acknowledge him. Psalms fifty six, verses three through four. When I am afraid, I put my trust in You, in God whose word I praise. In God I trust, I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? This is David speaking in the Psalms. Right, Well, he should have took his own advice. Uh well, this is probably written after this though, But you know how it is. Man Sometimes, like I said, you start living in the flesh and not in the spirit, and that's what happens Romans eight twenty eight. And we know that God works all things all together for the good of those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose.
Speaker 2: All right, cool, so let's go ahead, and oh, I didn't want to do that. Let's go to.
Speaker 1: First Samuel twenty eight. I think we'll end here because I'm gonna even if I have to end a little bit early, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Go too far into.
Speaker 1: Let's see how long this is. Ah, this is a little bit longer. And I know about this chapter, so let's go ahead and check this out. I think we'll end in twenty eight for sure, because I remember. I remember this chapter very well. This chapter serves as a stark reminder of the repercussions of disobedience and the desperation. This is going to be a First Samuel twenty eight introduction. This chapter serves as a stark reminder the repercussions of disobedience and the desperation that can follow when once is a strained from God's guidance. It encourages us to remain faithful, seeking the Lord's counsel in times of uncertainty, rather than turning to forbidden and unreliable sources. Though in dire times we may feel abandoned, our faith should remain steadfast in God's divine plan. So before we start, I'm gonna have to look up some stuff real quick because I want to divination in the Bible. Exodus twenty two, verse eighteen. That's the part I want to look up. Exodus twenty two, verse eighteen.
Speaker 2: Let's check it out.
Speaker 1: You shall not permit a sorceress to live. Whoever lies with an animal shall surely be put to death. He sacrifices any good except the Lord, he shall be utterly destroyed. You shall not tolerate sorceress Biblical Hebrew Leviticus nineteen twenty six. You shall not eat anything with its blood. You shall not practice divination or soothsaying. So we got Exodus twenty eight, and also we got Leviticus nineteen, verse twenty six. Dealing with sorcerers or sorceress is what it says. Sorry, not sorcerers, it says sorceress, which are female witches, right, and look what Saal does here in first chapter, first Samuel, twenty eight.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's check it out. Consults a medium.
Speaker 1: Now what happened This is first same of twenty eight, verse one. Now what happened in those days that the Philistines gathered their enemies together for war to fight with Israel. And Akeith said to David, you will surely know that you will go out with me to battle you and your men. And David said to us, she surely you know that your servant can what your servant can do. And as she said to David, therefore I will make you one of my chief guardians forever. All right, So that whole portion there, it's interesting that he says that to David. But let's see what Saul's doing over here. Saul consults a medium. Now Samuel had died, and all Israel had laminated for him and buried him in Rama, in his own city, and Saul had put the mediums and the spiritualists out of the land. Then the Philistines gathered together and came and encamped and shoon him. So Saul gathered all Israel together.
Speaker 2: And then encamped in Gilboa.
Speaker 1: So what we need to know here is Saul kicked out, you know, all the mediums and the spirit is out of the land. Okay, I think he would have them killed actually if they were if they ended up coming back to the land, because Samuel was, you know, wanted people to follow the law right and he knew that the Lord was didn't want any spiritists or any witches or any mediums or spiritists in the land.
Speaker 2: So let's check out what verse five says.
Speaker 1: When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid and his heart trembled greatly. And when Saul inquired to the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams, nor by erim or by the prophets.
Speaker 2: So now we have Saul.
Speaker 1: Regretting everything, you know, probably just like, oh my gosh, I'm trying to ask for the word of the Lord. I got the Philistines. Here, where's my answer? You know, where's Samuel when I need him? Basically, because whenever he had Samuel talked to God, he always got at least word I mean, if it's negative or bad news or good news, a least he had worked from the Lord.
Speaker 2: That as not answering him though.
Speaker 4: All right, So let's see what Saul does, since the Lord is not answering him.
Speaker 1: Actually, let me see what my notes say. It says Saul's dis desperation. When Saul saw the Philissine's army, he was afraid and trembled. Saul's fear leads to him seek guidance from God, but he receives no answer, which we already talked about.
Speaker 2: But let's see what Saul does.
Speaker 1: In First Samuel twenty eight, verse seven, then Saul said to his servants, find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire to her.
Speaker 2: And as servants said to him, in fact, there is.
Speaker 1: A woman who is a medium in Endoor. So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes.
Speaker 2: Excuse me.
Speaker 1: He went and two men with him, and they ca to the women by night, and he said, please conduct a seance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you. So these are I'll stop there. These are forbidden practices. Despite having expelled mediums and spirituals from the land, Saul seeks out a medium demonstrated as a disobedience and lack of faith. So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes and went out with two men.
Speaker 2: What are the forbidden practices?
Speaker 1: Let's check that out real quick before we get into what Paul Saul does.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: In the Bible, forbidden practices are those actions and behaviors that are expressed expressively prohibited by God.
Speaker 2: Prohibited by God.
Speaker 1: These prohibitions are given Maine to maintain holiness, purity, and obedience among God's people. The Bible outlines various practices that are considered abominable and detestable in the sight of God, and these are often associated with pagan rituals, idolatry, and moral corruption.
Speaker 2: One of the most frequently condemned practices in the.
Speaker 1: Bible is idology, the worship of false gods or images. The First Commandment explicitly states you shall have no other gods before me. Idology is seen as a direct affront to the sovereignty and uniqueness of the One True God. The Israelites were repeatedly warned against adopting the idolatrous practices of surrounding nations Deuteronomy twelve Versus twenty nine through thirty one occult practices. The Bible strictly forbids any form of occult practices, including divination, sorcery, and witchcraft. Deuteronomy eighteen, verses ten through twelve states, let no one found among you are who sacrifices his son or daughters, and the fires and practices divination or contrary interprets, omens, practice sorcery, cast spells, consults of medium or spiritists, or inquirers of the dead. Whoever does these things detestable to the Lord. Such practices are seen as attempts to gain forbiddance, knowledge, or gain power apart from God. See what's going on there. Another one is sexual immorality. Sexual morality is another category of forbidden practices. The Bible provides clear guidance for sexual conduct, emphasizing the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman, and Leviticus eighteen outlines the various prohibited sexual relations, including adultery, incest, and homosexuality. The New Testament reaffirms these prohibitions, urging believers to flee from sexual immorality one Corinthian six, verse eighteen. Child sacrifice is another one. The practice of child sacrifice, particularly to the god Moloch, is explicitly condemned in the scripture. Leviticus eighteen verse twenty one, you shall not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Moloch. Or you must not profane the name of your Lord. I am the Lord, the name of your God, I am the Lord.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Such practices were prevalent among the Canaanites and were strictly forbidden for the Israelites, but some of the Israelites did do it. I should say that there, but it doesn't dishonest practices. The Bible also addresses dishonest practices such as theft, lying, cheating, and the eighth commandment, you shall not steal, underscores the importance of integrity and honesty. Proverbs eleven one states dishonest skills are an abomination to the Lord, but an accurate weight is his delight. That's basically stating that some people when they would weigh like a you know, like an info or whatever it's called the info or whatever, when they were dealing with selling of grains and food, then they would kind of mess the scales up to try to make more money. So it says that dishonest skills are not are abomination to the Lord, but an accurate weight is his delight. Right. Drunkenness and gluttony is another one. Drunkenness and gluttony are warned against as behaviors that lead to moral decay and spiritual insensitivity. Apheesians five eighteen invides us do not get drunk on wine, which leads to reckless indiscretion. Instead be filled with the spirit. The Bible encourages moderation and self control as virtues.
Speaker 2: That honor God. Conclusion, the Bible prohibit.
Speaker 1: Prohibitions against these practices are rooted in the desire for God's people to live lives that reflect His holiness and righteousness. By avoiding these forbidden practices, believers are called to demonstrate their commitment to God's covenant and to live in the matter that is.
Speaker 2: Pleasing to him.
Speaker 1: I would just want to go over all those things, because all those are abomination, not only what Saul's doing right here, but those other things that I mentioned. Okay, let's go ahead and go back to first Samuel twenty eight, verse nine. Then the woman said to him, look, you know that sal what Saul has done. He has cut off the mediums and the.
Speaker 2: Spirit is from the land. When then do you.
Speaker 1: Lay a snare for my life? It caused me to die and Saul swore to her by the Lord, saying, as the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing. Then the woman said, whom shall I bring up? And he said, bring up Samuel for me. When the woman and saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Samuel saying, why have you just seed before you were Saul?
Speaker 2: So she was surprised to see Samuel.
Speaker 1: Now, what I think normally happens with these spirituists or these divination these people that do this is they have a demon come and kind of act like the people that you're calling up, you know, like, Hey, I want to call up my Aunt Margaret. You know, I want to I want to talk to Aunt Margaret. You know, I've she's been dead for a couple of years. And you know, the people they sit around a table and they you know, you see it on movies. I've never ever, obviously done this ever in my life. I've never done any of that stuff. But and then a demon will act like Aunt Margaret, you know, and kind of know certain things that that that that only that Aunt Margaret would know. H But this is kind of what's going on here. And the crazy thing is, see Samuel at the time, where would he be? So Samuel would not be in heaven yet, right, he would be in Abraham's bosom. If you look at Luke sixteen versus like Luke sixteen, I think it's like one through seventeen.
Speaker 2: Read it.
Speaker 1: It's about the story of Lazareth and the rich Man and Lazarus. Okay, so Jesus is telling the story about the rich man dying and Lazareth dying, and Lazareth is in Abraham's bosom in Paradise and there's a big chasm between him and on the other side is shield. So you have this is all located in the earth, I believe, and this is what biblical cosmology is about. I kind of went over this on the Cult of Conspiracy before.
Speaker 2: But what you have is you.
Speaker 1: Have the rich Man can see Abraham and he says, Father, Abraham, will you please send Lazareth over here to put a drip of water on my tongue. The whole point to what I'm saying is that Samuel was not in heaven yet, because no one's in heaven yet. Only God the Father and Jesus was in heaven, and the Holy spirit. You know, I don't think anybody was in heaven before Jesus died on the cross. Okay, no one was in heaven before Jesus died on the cross. So when when Jesus died on the cross, he descended into the earth, the lower parts of the earth that.
Speaker 2: Peaces four Versus Peasans four verses.
Speaker 1: Verse eight talks about before he ascended to heaven. He descended first into the earth. Right, So the there was prophets of old Abraham, you know, these different prophets and people that that walk with God, that were righteous in faith, that I believe were in Abraham's bosom, Uh, not in shield, but in Abraham's bosom that Jesus came and got and brought to heaven. And then also it says that the when Jesus died on the cross, and the in Matthew it says that when he had a great earthquake happened, and the spirits of the other prophets they were walking around seeing and many people saw them. The old prophets of old came back to life out of the grave. I mean, it's interesting. But anyways, all I want to say is she was probably very surprised to actually see Samuel. It says the woman saw Samuel. She cried out and spoke to Saul, why are you deceiving me? And the king said to her, do not be afraid. What did you see? And the woman said to Saul, I saw a spirit as sending out of the earth. This is what I'm talking about. And she said to her, what is his form? And he said, an old man is coming up, and he has covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed down. Now, Samuel said to Saul, why are you disturbing me by bringing me up?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: So where was he located? Well, it says that he was located in the earth. That's what it says, coming out of the earth. Okay, why are you disturbing me by bringing me up? Because he was down in the earth. This is really interesting, guys, And I think you guys should understand in biblical cosmology. When I went over it on the show, Heaven is up, Sheil or Hell is down in the earth. And he's not coming out of Hell. He's coming out of Abraham's bosom. Now, Samuel said to Saul, why have you disturbed me bringing me up? And Saul answered, I am deeply distressed, for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you that you may reveal to me what should I do. Then, Samuel said, so why do you ask me? Seeing the Lord has departed from you and has become your enemy. And the Lord has done for himself. He has spoken by me, For the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor David, because you did not obey the voice of the Lord nor execute his fierce wrath upon Amelek. Therefore the Lord has done this thing to you this day. Moreover, the Lord has also delivered Israel with you into the hand of the Philistines. That tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is really interesting because a lot of people try to.
Speaker 2: Say, well, we don't know if that was really Samuel.
Speaker 1: They came up or one of like you know some people that will be more liberal about this, But I'm seeing what I'm seeing. I take the Bible for what it is. What I'm seeing is I'm seeing Samuel being in the earth in Abraham's bosom in Paradise. On the other side is a big chasm. That's where Sheila is located, exact thing described by Jesus, our Lord and Savior in Luke chapter sixteen. So we have Samuel being in the earth, you know, in Paradise doing what I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what he's doing.
Speaker 1: But it says that the lady when she said, bring up he says, bring up Samuel for me. That's what Saul says, because he knows as well. He knows biblical cosmology, you know what I mean, So does David. David knows as well. Saul says. When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice and said, why have you deceived me?
Speaker 2: For you, Saul? And then the king said to her, do not be afraid. What do you see? I saw a spirit ascending out of the earth.
Speaker 1: Okay, did this spirit ascend from heaven and come down?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no no.
Speaker 1: She saw Samuel ascending out of the earth. Very interesting, guys, that what's going on here. This is the type of thing that I like to go over when I'm going on, like, we're his shield located because we have this, we have science teachers teaching you that there's just a core of the earth and there's a core spinning as well, and it's just magma and that's all it is. And there's no Hell, there's no shield. Well where's hell located? Well, it's in another dimension. Okay, what's the dimension in Hebrew?
Speaker 2: I don't know. So we just got to understand what's going on here.
Speaker 1: I take this literal and exactly the way it's talked, and I think it's Uh. I think it's really interesting what's going on here? Because he's speaking to Samuel. This is Samuel speaking. This is not a demon. A demon would never tell Saul this. A demon would be like, hey.
Speaker 2: Saul, everything's gonna be all right, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Uh, just continue talking to mediums and they'll help you and guide you. Instead of a demon would have said, you know what, probably don't speak to the Lord anymore. Speak to mediums because obviously you're gonna get the right answer. Let me tell you what to do, and you know and what you see as Samuel saying, you know what, they're gonna deliver you into the hands the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. Does that mean that that Saul is gonna be going to Paradise or is he gonna be going to Shield?
Speaker 2: And we don't know.
Speaker 1: Because you and your sons will be with me, doesn't mean that, Okay, you're gonna be with me in Paradise. On the paradise side, because he could end up being maybe his son Jonathan would end up being with with Samuel in Paradise and the soul might be in Abraham's are in a in Shield, or he would still be able to speak. It looks like because you could see in Luke sixteen, they're able to speak, and they got all five senses speak. He wants water, he's able to drink, he's able to smell, he's able to to hear. You know, he's got the five senses while he's in hell. So oor sheel, so let's continue. Immediately. Saw fell full length to the ground, and he was dreadfully afraid because of the words of Samuel. And there was no strength in him, for he had eaten no food all day or all night. And the women came to Saul and saw that he was severely troubled, and said to him, Look, your maid servant has obeyed your voice, and I have put my life in your hands and heeded the words which you.
Speaker 2: Spoke to me.
Speaker 1: Therefore, please heat also the voice of your maid servant, and let me set a piece of bread before you and eat. You may have strength to go on your way. But it refuse and said I will not eat. So his servants, together with the women, urged him, and he heeded their voice. Then he arose from the ground and sat on the bed. Now the women had a fat and calf in the house, and she hastened to kill it, and she took flour and kneaded it and baked and livid bread from it. So he brought So she brought it before Saul and his servants, and they ate, and they rose and went away that night. That's the end of chapter twenty eight. Wow, so we know what his faith is the next day, right, he's gonna end up getting killed.
Speaker 2: But let's see what the appearance of Saul.
Speaker 1: The medium is surprised when Samuel appears, indicating that this was not a typical occurrence. Samuel's message to Saul is one in judgment, confirming that the Lord has turned against him. Let me just see what it says here in my notes. The appearance of Samuel is recorded in the Bible is a significant event that occurs in First Samuel twenty eight.
Speaker 2: This events take.
Speaker 1: Place during the reign of King Saul, which we already know, and it highlights the spiritual and moral decline of Saul as he seeks guidance outside of God's will.
Speaker 2: It's huge what he did.
Speaker 1: He went, that's he didn't even wait on the Lord, he just went straight to this medium. And wow, that's just total disrespect. King Saul, facing the threat of the Philistine army, is desperate for guidance. The prophet Samuel, who had annoyeded Saul as king, has died, and Saul finds himself without divine counsel and his desperation, Saul seeks out a medium and Indoor, despite having previously expelled all mediums and spiritualists out of the land according with God's law. In One Samuel twenty eight, verse three, the encounter at Indoor, Saul disguised himself and visits the medium which you already know about. We read about Samuel's message. The spirit of Samuel peers and questions, Saul, why have you disturbed me by bringing me up. Saul explains his dire situation, expressing that God has turned away from him no longer answers him through prophets or dreams. Samuel's response is a rediation of God's judgment against Saul as is disobedient, particularly as failure to destroy completely destroy the Amalekites. In On Samuel fifteen, Samuel declared to the Lord was torn the kingdom of Saul and given it to David, the son of Jesse, for the prophesies that Israel will be defeated by the Philistines. What's the theological implications of this? The appearance of Samuel raised a significant theological question about the afterlife and the nature of communication with the dead. The Bible constantly condemns necromancy and consulting of the dead in Deuteronomy eighteen, verses ten through twelve, and this event underscores the gravity of Saul's sin and seeking guidance forbidden means. It serves as a stark reminder of the consequences of disobedience and the imhortance of seeking God's will through legitimate channels. The moral and spiritual lessons Saul encounters with the spirit of Samuel illustrates the tragic end of a king who started with a great promise but fell due to pride and disobedience. It highlights the fullity futility of seeking guidance apart from God and inevitable judgment that follows persistent rebellion. This event serves as a cautionary tale for believers and remain faithful to God's commands to seek his guidance through prayer, scripture, and counsel.
Speaker 2: Of godly leaders.
Speaker 1: In the ancient Near Eastern context, necromancy and consultant of the dead were come and practices among pagan cultures. Israel called to be distinct adhering to God's laws and avoiding such practices. Saul's actions reflected to departure from his illustrating the synchronism syncretism that often plagued Israel throughout its history. Departure from his distinctiveness, I didn't see that part. Illustrating this synchronism that often plagued Israel. Through his throughout history conclusion. The appearance of Samuel is a pivotal moment in the narrative Sal's kingship, making the final confirmation of his downfall. It serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of dis of obedience to God and the dangers of turning to forbidden practices for guidance.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just wanted to get that out you guys. That's very important for us to know.
Speaker 1: Don't go speak to mediums or psychics or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It's not of God at all in any way. And don't go try to contact the dead.
Speaker 1: All you're gonna do is end up speaking to a demon, all right, And this is really it does bring up questions about how it is in the afterlife, but there's certain things that that kind of point towards what was going on.
Speaker 2: Before Jesus's death, before Jesus died on the cross, before Nebu was allowed in heaven.
Speaker 1: So it just gets really really interesting, guys when you kind of think about it and dig deep. I know you guys have probably heard my Biblical cosmology episode. Definitely would say to check that thing out. But yeah, we're done with Chapter twenty eight. Let's go ahead and go into some practical applications. Seek God first in times of trouble. Prioritize seeking God's guidance through prayer and scripture rather than turning to worldly solutions. Obedience matters. Reflect on areas of your life where you may be compromising God's commands and seek to realign with his will. Avoid forbidden practices. Recognize the dangers of engaging in practices that God has forbidden, such as consulting mediums or engaging in the cold activities. Trust in God's timing. Understand that God's silence is an absence. Trust is not and absence. Trust in his timing, and continued to seek.
Speaker 2: Oops, excellent, drop my ring, it's my wedding ring. I can't drop that.
Speaker 1: Understand that God's silence is not absence, Trust in his timing, and continue to seek him faithfully. All right, and let's go ahead and check about just check on some connecting scriptures, which are we have Deuteronomy eighteen, verses ten through twelve.
Speaker 2: Let no one be found among you.
Speaker 1: I've already talked about this first Isaiah eight, verse nineteen, when men tell you to consult the spirits of the dead and the spiritists who whisper and mutter. Should not people consult their God James one five. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without.
Speaker 2: Finding fault, it will be given to him. Okay.
Speaker 1: So not only do you have the Old Testament saying warning against that, we also have the New Testament wrening against that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And there's also lots of warnings against witchcraft and sorcery and pharma keia in the New Testament. So what an awesome couple chapters there. It looks like we're gonna have what twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty one. We'll probably get the Second Samuel if we only have those next week. So one year anniversary, Happy one year anniversary.
Speaker 2: All glory to God.
Speaker 1: What a blessing to be able to present go through a so much different knowledge for you guys through the Bible. Praise God for that. But like we always do, let's end this in prayer. So, Father God, in the name of Jesus, thank you so much for everything you do for us. I pray that we have discernment and that we seek wisdom in the correct way by seeking it through You. I pray that anybody that's listening that ever thought about going to a psychic or a medium or anything like that. Lord, if you please could assist everybody just come to you only supernaturally stop them from even thinking thoughts like that. Don't allow the devil to creep in. Sometimes we do pray and maybe we're waiting on an answer, and then some people they just get impatient and they want to go different routes in different ways and speak to the dead and necromancy and speak to ir spirits and stuff like that. So Lord, I just asked that you help anybody that's going through any witchcraft, anybody that's praying against our podcast, praying against this Bible study. Lord, I asked that you rebuke them in the name of Jesus. I know there's probably some.
Speaker 2: People that maybe are doing that.
Speaker 1: You know, there might be some witches that might hear this, or sorcerers or anything like that of the sort. They might be listening to this podcast and not like the fact that I talked about, you know, and verse Samuel twenty eight. They might not like that, you know, but you know, it is what it is, you know, And all the verses that I was speaking about.
Speaker 2: That rebuke, that kind of action.
Speaker 1: They might not like it, but Lord, I just asked that you flick them off like little bugs, because I know that these little demons that try to come and attack, Lord, they're nothing to you. So Lord, just flick them off like little bugs, like they deserve. And I just want to say, Lord, I appreciate everything you do for me, everything you do for everybody that listens to this show. Thank you for one year of Sunday service. Lord, and I just want to ask that you give us another year of Sunday service.
Speaker 2: Allow us to finish the Bible at least.
Speaker 1: Lord, allow us to finish the Bible at least. And I would love to continue, but I just want to ask that you at least, Lord, that's the goal. Finish the Bible all the way through from Genesis to Revelation. And Lord, please allow me to do my very best to teach the word. I appreciate everything you do for me, Lord, and everything you do for everyone that's listening. I love you in Jesus' name. Amen, thank you guys for listening. Yeah, so happy and excited. I just want to thank could the Conspiracy Podcast for one year of Sunday Service. And also I want to thank God for one year of Sunday Service. And I want to thank all of you because this show would be nothing without everybody that's listening. Okay, so please give me a comment below if you want to say congratulations on fifty two weeks or one year of Sunday Service. I definitely appreciate it. This is episode fifty two and this is the end of it. Thank you everybody for tuning in.
Speaker 2: God bless you.