Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday, so we will get into a true crime Tuesday kind of a different twist on it. A little bit later in the show today that AI, once again, AI has proven that fingerprints may not be as unique as we thought they were, which at this point hasn't caused any problems, but down the line could cause some massive problems when it comes to very simple criminal investigation.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got Elon Musk calling one of Trump's key trade advisors a moron after his comments on the moron's comments on national television over the weekends where we kick off swamp Watch.
Speaker 3: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheap and a liar. And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 3: The other side never quits. I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 4: So now you.
Speaker 5: Train the squad, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 3: You know, Americans have always been going at They're not stupid.
Speaker 2: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 3: Whether people voted for you were nas watch, they're all counter knowing.
Speaker 1: So Trump thinks the United States is getting screwed over by the world. So put the tariffs in place with the design that other countries would come to the bargaining table. We could rework the trade contracts to where the US fare is better with these deals. It's what Trump has done his whole life. He's been talking about tariffs for decades. So it's not that Peter Navarro, his trade advisor, came to him and said, this is my idea, run with it, and.
Speaker 3: That's what happened.
Speaker 1: But he certainly is one of the people in the president's ear. Peter Navarro is, and this is a guy who wrote the book Death by China a handful of years ago. Kushner got wind of it, said hey, why don't you come work for my father in law when he was running in twenty sixteen, and that's where that relationship was formed. Elon Musk his new guy, Trump's new guy, does not get along with Peter Navarro. The two are at each other's heads and it's become public.
Speaker 2: Peter Navarro on CNBC basically blasted Elon Musk for not being a car manufacturer, said, basically, he's a car assembler.
Speaker 3: But he's not a car manufacturer. He's a car assembler.
Speaker 2: He went on to talk about how if you visit the plant, the Tesla plant in Austin, that there are parts that are being brought in from other places that are then put together in Austin and sold as an American vehicle. Elon Musk has said very clearly, and it's been pointed out not just by Elon Musk but others, but as of right now, Tesla is one of the most as weird as this sounds, the most American car there is based on the percentage of actual parts and pieces that are built I'm sorry, that are made in the United States. It is.
Speaker 3: It is true.
Speaker 1: He is more of an assembler than a manufacturer in that regard. Many companies in America have done suit, have followed suit, they have done it before. Elon Musket it in terms of outsourcing manufacturing to other countries because well it's cheaper right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Will they have to absorb those costs?
Speaker 1: Yes, because when you sell things under the American made label, you're gonna pay a little bit more, you can be okay with it. But a lot of those labels, sorry, but don't shoot the messenger. A lot of those labels do the same thing elon Musk does. They do look to other countries to manufacture whatever it is, and then it's assembled or put together in America. Now, China is one of those places, right, big place where things are manufactured, and China seems to be the country right now, at least the biggest, the most important country that is not moving, is not coming to any sort of bargaining table. In fact, China says it will fight to the end. Trump this week saying that he is looking at fifty percent additional tariffs, an additional fifty percent duty on US imports if Beijing does not withdraw the four or thirty four percent tariff it imposed on American products last week in retaliation. Now, Shi Jinping is the head of China, and all the powers that be that are that are familiar and make their life's work into studying US China relations say.
Speaker 3: That this guy has no option to be weak. Xi Jinping.
Speaker 1: There's no option for him to come to the bargaining table, which would be a sign of weakness.
Speaker 3: In China.
Speaker 1: He has fancied himself as a savior of China, who is doing what Trump's trying to do here, rejuvenating China's greatness. These are two men of the same the either one's going to back down.
Speaker 3: At least Shixinping certainly is not going to back down now.
Speaker 2: They've also said, have Chinese officials, whether Chi Jinping or anybody else in his immediate cabinet, they knew that this was coming. They knew especially when he was reelected. They knew that this was coming because of the policies that the Trump imposed during his first term, trying to go after and trying to even up the trade discrepancies between the United States and China.
Speaker 1: Now, TikTok may be fun for videos for the children and US alike, but it's also a major.
Speaker 3: Chess piece in all of this.
Speaker 1: China last week scuttled that deal to sell a portion of it to American investors.
Speaker 2: This was not about TikTok. This was about the tariffs.
Speaker 1: This is why China is resisting a sale of the ports owned by Hong Kong Company c K. Hutchinson along the Panama Canal. This is why Beijing today is threatening more countermeasures. If Trump goes forward with the additional fifty percent in tariffs, it's going to get very ugly between these two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this ratchets up many times between now and whatever.
Speaker 3: Is that the end of it?
Speaker 2: I mean, whatever the first step is away from this is way down the road. I mean, because three is it three times three times fool? You got three times as much stuff coming in from China as opposed to us sending it out to China. It's somewhere around four hundred and forty billion coming in from China versus the one hundred and forty that we send out to China. So there's this huge, huge imbalance that he's trying to trying to rectifice, trying to even up the scales here and this. You know, if you calculate it all out and impose all of the tariffs that Trump has threatened, that's one hundred and four percent tariff on stuff that comes in from China, and it's everything.
Speaker 3: Follow the money.
Speaker 1: As stock markets around the world tumbled this week, Beijing mobilized state owned banks and investment companies known informally in China as the National Team, the goal to shore up their holdings of Chinese share is trying to stem the decline. Chinese stocks rose slightly today after big declines a day earlier because of that money moved around.
Speaker 3: It does not get easier or anything. No, it does not.
Speaker 1: The Treasury Secretary, by the way, says China's escalation was a big mistake, that China's playing with the losing hand. Of course, this is all bravado, depending on whoever you ask, China or the United States, China's counterpart over there.
Speaker 2: Well, and Trump has said repeatedly he's still open to a negotiation. He's still open to contact face to face. Even he would offer, Uh, no, one's getting the doors of the White House.
Speaker 1: That's not happening until everything is worked out. And several bows are on the top of that package.
Speaker 2: Up next those nannies in Florida that make six figures.
Speaker 3: That's a good job.
Speaker 1: We were talking I think you were you were gone, but we were talking about downtown Abbey and upstairs downstairs. We just that Deborah's definitely an upstairs person. Is something wrong about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But I like that? Is that a blazer? Is that yellow?
Speaker 2: It's beautiful? It is I love it. She called you an upstairs person. And then complimented you. And you know what, I fall?
Speaker 5: I can how do I say you fall? I fall in between different categories, right. I like to look nice because that's just who I am, and I love clothes and shoes and purses and all that. But most of my friends are not like that. So I guess when.
Speaker 1: I think you get along with everybody, But if somebody's looking at you, I'm just profiling from Yes you are, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So you could live downstairs with us, I would.
Speaker 5: Probably get along better with you guys downstairs than I would with the people upstairs. But I like to be fun, so I understand why.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's why the show is so much appeal, because we both see ourselves as downstairs and upstairs.
Speaker 5: Yes, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, don't put us in a box.
Speaker 5: Yes, don't, don't don't don't don't. And by the way, I'm just gonna say this real quick, I have I think one more episode left of Dying for Sex.
Speaker 1: So Dying for Sex this show has gotten a lot of attention since we first started talking about it last week.
Speaker 3: I mean it is.
Speaker 1: It's getting the kind of attention that adolescent Scott in terms of conversation topics that you and I touched don yesterday, I read an article, a long article about it today, Debra, about how the show gets you to start talking about things, Yes, that are kind of undercurrents of the show, like adolescents did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which I mean that because my husband last night he walked in when I was watching this show.
Speaker 3: How could you walk?
Speaker 5: He said?
Speaker 2: What this is so stupid?
Speaker 4: Why would you watch?
Speaker 1: Well, the sex is like how they get you in, Yes, but it's really about life, about who you choose to spend time with, and that's how you choose to live.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I said that to you. I said, look, trust me. I look, it's not just all dirty still, Like when you die, Gary, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna be happy with that shirt you put on this morning? What or would you have rather spent the day in a baseball jersey or an elephant costume?
Speaker 3: Maybe an elephant costume? What do you think?
Speaker 1: I want you to live your life and not make safe choices. Okay, No, I don't keep being safe over there. We need it, Devyor and I need it.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do. We'll talk about it weeks. What's going on?
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We had talked earlier about this nightclub collapse in the Dominican. At least now twenty eight people have died more than one hundred injured after this roof fell at the nightclub called the Jet Set in Santo Domingo. Cruis are still looking for potential survivors. I had mentioned that they had found Major League Baseball picture Octavio Dotel. He played in the majors for fifteen years, passed away after the injuries. They said they found him alive, but he died from his injuries. He'd be fifty two because he was born in seventy three, like somebody else I know. But again, it looks like several different reports say that Octavio d'otel has passed away.
Speaker 3: Just awful. People still trapped in the rubble.
Speaker 1: They say, all you hear from the site is just people drilling, triveling to get into survivors.
Speaker 3: And again it's obviously a race against the clock.
Speaker 1: If you're buried under rubble and how long that's a tenable situation.
Speaker 2: But just awful. I wanted to throw this in there only because we didn't get to it. We're talking a lot about the.
Speaker 3: Tariffs, etc.
Speaker 2: But Washington, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser has had the field questions about a military parade that President Trump wants to throw.
Speaker 3: He's talked about this for a very long time. Run that back to me. Who needs to go through this?
Speaker 2: The DC mayor got it? Not a fan of Donald Trump, No friends, bless you vocal courts.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: The parade would go from Arlington, where the Pentagon and the Arlington National Cemetery are like vocal courts, trossy use those.
Speaker 3: Across sympotomac into DC. My wife tells me the same thing. Does she really you.
Speaker 2: Used your vocal courts on that one? So far, the White House has said that's not the case. The AP said in a statement that no military parade has been scheduled. Flag Day is coming up. Do you know what day Flag Day falls on?
Speaker 3: It is June fourteen.
Speaker 2: You know what else is June fourteen? Trump's birthday. Trump's birthday. You know what else is was born on June fourteenth. The United States Army.
Speaker 3: So that's a big huh.
Speaker 2: There are people who are a cocktail this plan and suggesting that they do it all on Flag Day to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the US Army.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know my one of my favorite quotes comes from June and I don't know who said this, but it is this. If a June Night could speak, it would boast that it invented romance.
Speaker 3: It's not an awesome quote, that's really nice. You don't want to know who said I do.
Speaker 1: I remembered it now, I just don't remember who said it.
Speaker 3: Bernard Williams, Ah Williams, Bernie Williams.
Speaker 2: Centerfielder, second district or center fielder for the Yankes.
Speaker 3: Go on.
Speaker 2: If a June Night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance.
Speaker 3: Yes, not beautiful. Ever heard that before? Up next the six figure names. Wait, let's discuss what's going to go on on that day.
Speaker 1: Is there going to be a big militar military parade that entail these Kim jongon stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The White House says they're not really looking to do anything. Are there going to be boats in the river. I don't know if they would put boats in the river.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah they should, military boats, But they're going across the river on the to go from Arlington into DC.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they would maybe who knows, who knows?
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm playing this thing, I'm putting watercraft in there. A waste of money, of course, it is a giant waste of money.
Speaker 3: Where's DOJE when you need it?
Speaker 1: One could argue there's a lot of the military toys that is a waste of money.
Speaker 3: But we love them.
Speaker 2: But we don't need to show them to everyone air show.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: We love it. It's very American for us to play with our toys in public, but it's not very American for us to parade tanks and missiles and things down the den usually our jam now right, Rich Nannies up next.
Speaker 3: I'm Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on the Man from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 2: Probably, I don't know. Seven years ago.
Speaker 3: Do we play it every day? We do not play to not play it every day? It wasn't you, Elmer.
Speaker 1: It's just that it's been in rotation for a long time and he has a little bit of a temper tantrum every time.
Speaker 3: Is that what you called that? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do. Wow. Well, if we will make eye contact with me right now, what's going on. I'll stop playing it, thank you, thank you, thank you. Just put a thumbs down on that thing. It won't come up, and we're gonna have to start a do not playlist. Seriously, he's very particular. We don't have to do that. We just have to play more of other stuff.
Speaker 1: List after nine to eleven. I was working at a country station.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what a whiplash? Ouch, Holy mackerel, give a guy a.
Speaker 1: Whow hey listen. Disclaimer nine to eleven happens. I was working at a country station at the time, and we got to do not playlist. And do you know how many songs country songs involve things that you cannot play after something like nine to eleven happens? In terms of burning being one of the major issues, you know't me country songs reference burning a lot anything, heart, burning, heart's desire anything. It was extensive. Oh, they were, They were very particular, very much so. Yeah, okay, So, speaking of tantrums like the one you just threw, there is a woman named Jovanna k Pric Capric Capricvanna.
Speaker 3: Caprick, and she is a nanny.
Speaker 1: She says she's an expert in temper tantrums, and she wasn't really setting out to be a nanny, but she kind of fell into this line of work when she came across an agent's z looking called the Nanny League. The Nanny League has offices around the country specializes in placing prospective educated employees with wealthy families, because when you nanny for a wealthy family, you got to come with a degree, apparently, and she has an associate's degree. She also pursued certifications and subjects like conscious discipline, Conscious discipline. She realized that the money was in South Florida, that after COVID all the money kind of had made its way to Florida Florida. Of course, they had low tax rates, lack of pandemic restrictions, conservative politics, nice weather, and at least one hundred asset management firms opened offices in that Palm Beach County since the pandemic, Goldman Sachs, black Rock, hedge funds, things like that.
Speaker 2: So she says, Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Boca, Miami. This is where the big money is, says Jovanna. And you think about the the way that this is written, it's actually describing how the American economy right now is increasingly oriented towards the havels and less to the have nots. That's kind of the way it's been. That's part of capitalism. Twenty twenty four study showed that a number of Americans with a net worth of thirty million dollars or more went up by thirteen percent. That's about one hundred and forty eight thousand people in that group. And Moody's Analytics found that about half of all consumer spending in the United States half comes from the wealthiest ten percent of households.
Speaker 1: So Javanna's working as a nanny. She's making one hundred and forty five thousand dollars a year. She also gets the housing stipend that covers half her rent, and a year end bonus. All of the the complete compensation packages adds up to about at least one hundred and sixty thousand dollars a year, out earning her husband, who has a master's degree in engineering.
Speaker 2: She works as what's called a rotational nanny.
Speaker 1: She does shifts of two weeks on and two weeks off, swapping with another nanny.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: She says though, that her workload averaged out to about forty hours a week even with the time off. Yeah right, this has become the Norman Health, wealthy households Rota Nanni's or what they're called. And I don't understand that the need for two weeks on and two weeks off that seems I guess for the nanny to live her life.
Speaker 2: I think that they're talking about twenty four hours a day because they were talking ear.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but two weeks on. Oh so two weeks on, she's doing twenty four hours a day. Yeah, so you need the two weeks off to manage your life, right, Yeah, I see like a firefighter. So this household is fully staffed. They've got a chef, personal assistant, housekeepers, and this is just what happens. Like you said, there's a time of unprecedented wealth in this country and disparities that go along with it. They say that discretion is the number one prerequisite nanny, a housekeeper, a house manager, personal chef, privy to the intimate lives of their bosses or principles as they're called. We all learn this watching Downton Abbey. Peter Mahler is a president and founder of Mailer Private Staffing, a firm that's headquartered by the Bye in Milwaukee, Odd okay Yeah, started serving old money families of the Upper Midwest and now places highly trained housekeepers, nanni's, butler's, drivers, gardeners, estate managers, and assistants nationwide.
Speaker 2: They will even they will even train a new employee on the things as specific as how a client prefers their clothes to be folded or how to for them before a trip. And then they'll put together a household manual, which is often called a drop dead book, detailed information about all the family's pet allergies, sorry, all the family's allergies, any pet routines, and how a client prefers their refrigerator organized. If you're gonna be that specific, I've never I've never been comfortable with being served. I've never I don't. It just it bothers me because it makes I don't want anybody to ever feel like they're less than and because of lack of self confidence or whatever. But I never want somebody to feel that way around me. So I've never understood the idea that you would then tell somebody, I prefer my refrigerator to be put together this way. For there he's talking right now, He'll have it and I think we're going to break it about two. Yeah, he'll bring it in for.
Speaker 3: Him in a couple of minutes. No, he wants it hot.
Speaker 2: That's not.
Speaker 3: Think about this.
Speaker 2: If you're a director of estates for a family, you can manage eight or ten of their houses. You could probably earn three or four or five one hundred thousand dollars a year because you are the one. Maybe this is a downt and abbey thing. There's a head what chef Butler had made, whatever you call it. That person then directs everybody else, the contractors, the housekeepers, the nannies. I have a girlfriend who referred to a lands keeper.
Speaker 1: Oh no, a landscaper, a landscaper whatever. See, I don't even know what say. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 4: I don't even know.
Speaker 3: It's so foreign to me. And me and.
Speaker 2: Another fight were like, you have a gardener, Hey, you do? I have a landscaper.
Speaker 1: Let's just dial it back down ton Abbey.
Speaker 2: You don't have a freaking landscaper. You have a big yard. But then a landscape architect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, let's just let's just pump the brakes on that. Well, if you thought AI for our nuclear program is not a great idea. Let's start muddling around with the genetics of extinct animals.
Speaker 1: I love it, I love pretty I think we should bring back the dinosaurs and just wipe everyone out.
Speaker 2: There's a company has it has reinvigorated the old extinct diary wolf.
Speaker 1: I love a dire wolf, don't you it's a pretty dog. You're about to say cute, Well, rip your face off.
Speaker 3: It ain't a dire wolf.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Stock market's been through a second straight day of some pretty big swings. After jumping four point one percent toward its best day in the year, the S and P five hundred quickly gave up almost all of that. As of right now, the Dow Jones industrial averages up one hundred and twenty six points, but the S and P five hundred is down just below Zer, just down five points. NASDAC is also off about seventy three right now.
Speaker 1: A biotech company says it's bred three animals with the key physical features of the dire wolf. This is a species that has been extinct for more than twelve thousand years.
Speaker 2: Because that's what species do.
Speaker 1: Of the five billion that have existed on Earth, ninety nine point nine percent have vanished. So yes, it is very sad when something goes extinct, but that's just the way things happen. Of course, the dire Wolves have been recently featured on Game of Thrones, which makes everyone just fall wildly in love with them. Colossal Biosciences is a biotech company. We've talked about them before because this is what they set out to do. They set out to use gene editing technology to bring back the lost species, in this case, the gray wolf and its DNA has led to in the tinker of said DNA has led to the birth of these of these pops. They took DNA from a thirteen thousand year old tooth and a seventy two thousand year old skull and made healthy dire wolf puppies according to the CEO.
Speaker 3: But if you ask Gary Hoffman.
Speaker 2: These are dire little puppies, well they're not because they're not one hundred percent dire wolf, which they share like ninety nine point five percent of the DNA with the dire.
Speaker 3: Wolf was not hot enough.
Speaker 2: The company that was created, Colossal Biosciences, wanted to work on the de extinction of animals. Ben Lamb, I guess the founder. He said, we're currently the apex predator. Why not use our technology for good? And he's talking about using the Crisper genetic modification to go in and recreate basically some of these extinct animals they've been working on, and they claim that they will be able to produce a wooly mammoth by the I think it's by twenty twenty eight that they're working on. They also gave us those wooly mice. Do you remember that story from a year ago, a couple of years ago. Oddly I don't, because that's what they were working on was they're working on the wooly mammoth. So they're trying to figure out can they take a gene and make something that's not normally wooly like an elephant, and make it wooly like a mammoth.
Speaker 3: Can they do the same thing with mice.
Speaker 2: Doctor Robert Kitzman is a guy from I.
Speaker 3: Think it's University of Houston.
Speaker 2: He's a bioethicist, and he said, this is not a great idea because we don't know what the end result is.
Speaker 6: The bottom linere is a lot of the genome we still do not understand, and so one wants to be careful. If you're mucking around gene mucking that, they're may be things we'd understand. You may produce a wolf that's twice as ferocious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, think about that.
Speaker 2: I mean gonna you wanted to mess with the dinosaurs, You're gonna bring out a t rex that's twice as large as an actual t rex.
Speaker 3: I am right, I am, and twice as aggressive. Bring them out, Bring them out, Bring them out, Bring them out.
Speaker 6: Those systems are very delicately balanced, and nature is far more complicated than our ability as humans to understand it or to understand all the possible unforeseen coms.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for science explaining that to us idiots.
Speaker 2: By the way, Jennifer Duda is one of the original inventors of Crisper, the genetic editing technology, and says this should not be This is exactly what we should not be used exactly. I can't wait. I love it that its chaos, bring me more. The plan is that they wanted to bring about Crisper. They want a gene editing technology to work on essential matters helping people with severe congenital disorders.
Speaker 3: Why do that that?
Speaker 2: If we can avoid all ering nature more than we already have, shouldn't we try to do so?
Speaker 1: Why did they name two of these pups a Romulus and Remus? Don't they don't we want to avoid one of them killing the other.
Speaker 3: We just call it Cane and Abel.
Speaker 2: Exactly what are we doing here? And the other one's named Kalisi. There were two that were born, I think at the end of last year.
Speaker 3: One with Romes. The situation. I don't think it's a good idea.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of bringing back all the things we shouldn't bring back just to see what happens. Like we haven't already ruined everything? Well, when I just keep going, we've ruined a lot of it. Yeah, we have. We look around. Look at that jacket. Nothing, that's a great jacket, I know.
Speaker 3: And it's it's because.
Speaker 2: You're feeling uncomfortable about yourself, about the choices you've made.
Speaker 1: Think I'm projecting. Let me see, I think we're both pretty safe in terms of our fashion choices too.
Speaker 2: I'm still surprised that anybody wears open toad shoes around this nasty dirt hole.
Speaker 1: But you've seen my feet. Yeah right, yeah, so the damage has been done.
Speaker 3: Oh I see what you're saying. Kind of like unleashed new fake dire wolves contributing to the dirtiness of this hole. Okay, the nasty away.
Speaker 1: We'll talk trending when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.