Speaker 1: Sports fans, it's time for the Friday Free-for-All. Over the next two hours, we'll bring you all the latest from across the region in high school and college sports.
Speaker 2: It took a long time to get the result from the most important game of Thursday night, but finally it happened, and wow, what a game between RCB and Fairmont. senior Alex Wieterspiel Michael Minnick it's the Friday free-for-all brought to you by Dan Cavatoda World and we are here we're back we're ready for week two Mike uh week one was fun I think week two is going to be more fun if the weather permits.
Speaker 3: It if the weather permits it but I think we got we got the appetizer well said that you mentioned I mean Robert C. Bird and Fairmount senior two teams that I think have been that have been fighting for that number two spot in the The Birds got in the upper hand now, won a playoff game at East-West, and now come back and win on their home field in the regular.
Speaker 4: Season this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it is funny how this kind of goes in cycles, right? I think the kick return a couple of years ago in the playoff game when Fairmont Senior was a 16th seed, that's one of those, like, where were you sort of West Virginia high school football moments, obviously, and it was a playoff game. And I'm not saying what has happened in either of these last two games is more significant than what leads to ultimately winning a state title like Fairmont Senior did that year. But there's got to be a little bit if you're RCB, if you're an RCB fan, if you're a lifer, you're feeling pretty good at the moment after back to back wins over this program.
Speaker 3: Well, especially the way that you won when you you you wanted to pass by your your. quarterback turned receiver turned quarterback again, Junior Smith to Isaiah Heflin. And I think the other thing too, was it wasn't just like you threw it in the end zone and Heflin caught it, like Heflin caught it, beat a couple of guys and then went into the end zone after a long weather delay. I'm sure the legs were a little bit heavy at that point because he runs as well as throws it, plays defense. That's a long night for him, but it sure.
Speaker 4: Did end well.
Speaker 2: I think the extra rest will help. And we'll certainly talk more about that coming up with Bill Nestor on the other side of this break. We've got a great crew coming up today. All of our usuals are going to join us. Plus we've got a little bit of extra. So we're going to get to all the Harrison County schools. One thing I will note, we haven't talked as much about East Fairmont. We're not going to do it today. I promise we're going to get a little more East Fairmont conversation on the air coming in the next couple of weeks. It's just one of those things where we've been so packed early in the season that I that's on me and I will get us some East Fairmont football coming up soon. Mike, before we go to break, though, most intriguing thing that happened in week one for you. Most intriguing thing you're going to be watching for week two.
Speaker 3: I think the most intriguing thing for me in week one locally was was the job that Grafton did, even in a loss against Philip Barber to make that a game. I did not think that would be much of a game. I thought they would be able to compete for a half like they have in the past. I think Bobby Butler is going to get that program in the rise, but it happened faster than I expected. So now looking at this Grafton team and saying, what is their ceiling? I think this is a team that could be in the playoffs where things fall. Well, if they play like they did in week one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's going to be, and we'll talk with John board about this a little bit later. It's really going to be about how this team, how quickly this team figures out how to win football games, right? That's, That is the next step. So we will we will find out hopefully what John and what his viewpoint is on that and all of that coming up on an absolutely packed show today. South Harrison Lincoln, we'll talk about that. Bridgeport Martinsburg, we'll talk about that. We will get to everything. And we've got a bonus segment coming up with Chris George, who will join us during the eight o'clock hour. But he's going to spend even more time with us. during the nine o'clock hours. And don't you go anywhere. This is the Friday free for all brought to you by Dan Cabot to the world. He's Michael Minnick. I'm Alex Wiederspiel. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Time for more high school sports talk on the Dan Cabot, Toyota Buick, GMC Friday free for all.
Speaker 2: He is a little tired. I think that's to be expected. He's going to have, I hope a restful weekend, a restful long weekend ahead of him. Bill Nestor is on the line with us right now to break down, which essentially, I want to use the term instant classic to talk about RCB Fairmont Senior, but I don't think anything with a two-hour lightning delay can be considered instant, right, Bill?
Speaker 5: Definitely not. I kept looking for something to eat, couldn't find anything up there. It just seemed like the two hours took forever.
Speaker 6: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: The longest weather delay I've ever been a part of, and it just seemed like it was a gift that kept on giving.
Speaker 3: Couldn't Uber eat something to the press box? They weren't delivering in the lightning storm?
Speaker 5: Mike, it's so funny that you mention that. Someone, I think it was Mr. Frazier, Zach's dad, who does caller for Fairmont Senior, had mentioned that. And I thought, why didn't you mention that about an hour and a half earlier? But he waited until about five minutes before we came back on to make that suggestion.
Speaker 2: It's a good idea. I don't know what you would have Uber, because also the other problem would have been I could not believe what I, so I was doing our, our annual fantasy football draft, which I unfortunately am the commissioner for 16 years running and we've really customized this thing. So it's a, it's a zoom draft where I have to manage, you know, 13 other idiots and. And I'm watching and I'm like, is this game still in a lightning delay? How is this possible? And mercifully, the draft in the game ended at almost the exact same time, which is wild. So talk about the resiliency, though, Bill, for RCP to battle through everything to come away with this win.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, you look at this game from the start to how it ends. It starts out as Robert Seabird with a great opening drive and They end up getting on the board, and they take a 6-0 lead early with about 521 left in the opening quarter of play. And it was one of those drives where they just imposed their will, and it looked like they were going to be in the driver's seat. But Fairmont Senior says, hey, hold the phone here. They come back, and they come back in just an amazing way. They score a couple TDs within a minute and 27 of each other. within three plays, three offensive plays. I mean, you want to talk about quick strike ability. That's what the polar bears had. And they, they jump out to the 14, six advantage. And then RCB is thinking, okay, what are.
Speaker 6: We going to do now? How do we respond?
Speaker 5: And they do, they, they respond as, as Heflin. You got to give him a lot of credit.
Speaker 6: He threw the ball.
Speaker 5: Well, had around 200 yards in the first half passing, but he also scored on a pair of TV runs, you know, three, three yard run. in the second quarter of play with 1027 remaining to, to help tie the game after the two point conversion from junior Smith. And then they also had a, a touchdown with a five 26 left to give Robert C in the second quarter to give them the 2014 advantage.
Speaker 6: So they, they looked really good. Things were going their way.
Speaker 5: And then momentum shifts with, with about three 49 left in the third quarter. When, when, the polar bears get an interception return about 75 yards to get the score and go back up 21, 20. And then it just seems like both teams were running out of gas. And that's when you get the, the lengthy weather delay. And then you, you come back with Fairmont senior having the ball first and Tim from their own 26. And they just go straight to the ground and they just start pounding the football and picking up big chunks of real estate, 10, 12 yards a carry. And they get themselves all the way.
Speaker 6: Down the field.
Speaker 5: And then Robert Seabird just remarkably comes back. They get control of the football. It's a Junior Smith fumble recovery. And they make their way down the field. And they get into a fourth down and five. And it just felt like they're down to their last effort. What's going to happen? They used all the tricks in their bag. They turn out to have one more trick left in the bag as Heflin throws a pass that turned out to be a lateral to the near side to Junior Smith, who's played his share of quarterback over his career at Robert Seabird. He hauls it in. fakes like he's going to run with it. He avoids a couple would-be tacklers. And you've got to give Isaiah Heflin credit. He doesn't just immediately dart down the field. He kind of takes his time. Then he gets into a route. He throws in the football at about the 10-yard line. And then Heflin takes off for the far corner of the end zone, all the way to the far corner, outraces a pair of polar bears, and gets in for what eventually is going to be the winning touchdown of But there's still 17 seconds on the clock, guys, and it's a five-point spread.
Speaker 6: And if you look back a.
Speaker 5: Few years ago, Robert Seabird was in this same position with a chance to advance in the playoffs, only to have a kickoff return returned all the way to the house for the winning touchdown. So you can't just say the game's over with.
Speaker 6: So you're thinking, okay, you've still got to kick it off.
Speaker 5: Fairmont Senior still has time and a timeout in their back pocket. Robert Seabird goes to the onside kick, and Tylan Evans recovers it, and then Robert Seabird runs out the clock with a couple victory formation plays. And just what an unbelievable rollercoaster emotional game for this team that looked like they were dead in the water, but it's that no-quick attitude that Austin Scott just preaches, and you play... every play, and you line it back up. You don't give up. You don't look at the scoreboard. You give your very best, and that's what this team did from start to finish.
Speaker 3: Hasn't always been on the field or on the court the last couple years, but when Junior Smith plays, it seems like he makes plays to win games for teams, whether it's basketball or football.
Speaker 6: You're exactly right.
Speaker 5: And throughout this game, there were three or four possessions where Robert Seabird faced the third and long, and he came up with a big reception. And it wasn't just to move the chains. It was a 20-, 25-yard reception.
Speaker 6: It was an emphatic play, a big play.
Speaker 5: And he's that guy that you go to to make a difference. And you look at the first half for Robert Seabird, six different players caught passes in the first half. So it was definitely a total team effort and a great job by quarterback Isaiah Heflin to find different guys at the right times, as well as Smith making those big plays on the third downs when they mattered the most.
Speaker 6: And you can't say enough about the stoppers.
Speaker 5: The defensive unit didn't allow a score after the 152 mark of the first quarter of play. And let me tell you, the Polar Bears, an extremely talented team. And they've got a great coaching staff. And you've got some great play callers up there. You know, Cole Fisher, who I got a chance to watch, one of my favorite players of all time at Robert C. Bird when his dad, Brian, was coaching. And you got guys like that calling plays. And they've got such great weapons over there. So to be able to hold them to without a score after the first quarter play says a lot about what the defense did as well.
Speaker 2: Bill, do you have college football this weekend? Do you have Wesleyan?
Speaker 6: No, no. So I've got a break. I don't have anything going on this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for you. Also, congrats to Wesleyan on breaking the losing streak. That's a huge win for Coach Keller.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, huge win for Coach Keller.
Speaker 5: Got a chance to talk to him before the game, and then we interviewed him afterwards. And you've got to love that if you don't know him, you meet him, and he just becomes an instant, like a guy that you feel like you've known for 20 years, that kind of guy.
Speaker 6: You just want to be around him. You want to gravitate around him.
Speaker 5: And the environment there on game day, The way his team approached the game going into it, the way they were prepared, kudos to Coach Keller and his staff for the way they were.
Speaker 6: And it was electric there.
Speaker 5: And what Kyle Hoffman's done as the athletic director and President Moore and just the environment and what they did, I think there's going to be some great things coming up for this football program in Buchanan.
Speaker 2: Very good, Bill. Much appreciated, man. We're going to let you go rest your voice and have a fantastic long Labor Day weekend.
Speaker 5: Guys, as always, thanks for having me on. Have a great rest of the show and a great weekend as well.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a break. We've got so much more coming your way. It is a packed show today. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 7: Snap in the end zone hand off to lana cartman he goes off the right side with a burst he's still going they never called.
Speaker 2: The play down he's at the 30 there's not a man in sight he's at.
Speaker 7: The 50 he's at the 40 he's at the 30 20 10 5 touchdown philip harbour bring.
Speaker 2: The bear out of the mountain tower oh my goodness how.
Speaker 4: About that play never stopped he never stopped rolled right over he knew it right away too It was a Saquon Barkley move.
Speaker 2: Landon Carpenter, 97 yards, and Phillip Barber apparently needed every single inch that he provided them in that game. Welcome in, everybody. Back, at least. The Friday Free-for-All brought to you by Dan Cavatier of Buick GMC. I guess, you know, I was a little surprised, I'll admit, when I saw that Phillip Barber and Grafton was going to be televised. And I was like, what does Metro know that I don't? And the answer is they knew a lot that I didn't. They knew a lot. That was maybe, that was one of the best regular season high school football games in a really long time. How much more can you ask for, right? You got a rivalry game, brand new coach on one side. You got a team coming off its best performance ever in program history, and they meet for the opening game of the season, and it is as good as you could have possibly hoped for. Came down to the final second, took every single inch to win a one-point victory for Phillip Barber. Alex Wiederspiel, Michael Minnick, and now Brian Bybee, the play-by-play voice, who you just heard of the Phillip Barber Colts, is with us. Brian, Um, I don't even know, like, did I, did I do it justice? Cause that is an insane, that is an insane set of circumstances. I couldn't believe as I was, I was providing the score updates during halftime and I was like, man, it's a good game. It's a good game. And I, I just, it was remarkable.
Speaker 7: It was an instant classic, uh, Alex and Michael, it was an instant classic. It's certainly a rivalry game. Um, but so many things happening in that game. And I'm going to tell you right now, Grafton is a much improved football team. They are going to win some ballgames this year. It's not that Phillip Barber played bad. Grafton played really, really well. Phillip Barber shot themselves in the foot a couple times with some turnovers, but let's give credit where credit's due. Grafton forced those. So it was a nip and tuck game, man, right down to the wire, like you said. And, yes, Lane and Karpner, we needed every one of those 197 yards that he had.
Speaker 6: To get.
Speaker 3: On the ground.
Speaker 7: Plus, you know, we didn't even talk about what he had in the air. I mean, he had three receptions for 85 yards and two on that last drive to set him up for the field goal for Aiden Thorne and to hit that one and send him home for the win. If he doesn't have those two catches, we're talking about a loss on opening night.
Speaker 3: Basically, half of Carpenter's yards came on that one run, though. So it seems like Grafton did a pretty good job of limiting him, at least on the ground.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Michael.
Speaker 7: They're big up front. They're very athletic. They put a lot of pressure up the middle. And I think they'll do that all season long. And again, you have to look at Phillip Barber's line. I mean, they're young. You've got four out of the five that really have not played on the offensive line, or at least in those type of game situations. So learning curve for them. But they just kept.
Speaker 6: Pounding the rock.
Speaker 7: And Landon is so stinking athletic. I mean, that 97-yard run that he.
Speaker 4: He broke off.
Speaker 7: He plays to the whistle every play, and that's what happens when you do that.
Speaker 2: Week one is so hard to judge sometimes. I mean, I think at every level of football, it's the weirdest week. Weird stuff happens in week one. And so I try not to take anything that happens too seriously until we get a larger sample size. But I am curious, from your perspective, and if you've had a chance to talk with Coach Maley at all, what's the number one thing that would have to change moving forward, something that they can't repeat? from that game the rest of the season?
Speaker 7: Well, they've got a shorter tackling up. He talked about that with me last night and offensive line play for sure.
Speaker 6: We've got it.
Speaker 7: You got to give Robbie Jones a little bit more time to throw the ball back there. Those are the two big things.
Speaker 3: And I know they run Robbie a little bit by design, but 14 passes and 12 carries tells me that he was running for his life a little bit more than he wanted.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely. Michael, that was part of the, part of the issue. you've got wide receivers that can catch the ball, but if they don't have time to get the ball to them, it's not going to do you any good. And that's exactly what Grafton did. They just applied a lot of pressure and they're very talented. They're a very athletic group up front there on that defensive front for Grafton.
Speaker 2: Obviously very different this week. And it's interesting because I think it's fair to say, you look at the early start to the schedule and you go, oh, it's Grafton and Buchanan-Upshur at home. This is a good way to start the season. But Obviously in both cases, you're going up a classification. Grafton clearly looks much improved compared to where they were. I call that the John board effect. You get John board running your weight room. You're obviously just going to be, you're going to be way better off. I, I, I will say though, Buckhannon Ups, you're obviously coming off a really tough week themselves, but at the same time, this is going up to quad a. So there are some challenges here.
Speaker 6: Well, they are.
Speaker 7: And one's numbers too, is they, they, present a very strong vertical passing game. You know, now they didn't get a chance to do that very often against Bridgeport. And really, let's be honest, who does? But that's something that's going to test our young secondary. And Coach Maley and I talked about that.
Speaker 4: He knows that.
Speaker 7: He said, hey, you know, this is what we've been practicing for. Let's see what you're made of. And we'll get tested on the back end Friday night.
Speaker 3: Talked about Lennon's great performance but do they need to maybe get a couple more running backs involved in the long term to make sure he doesn't wear.
Speaker 7: Out well absolutely and that's you know Mason Jones the other uh the senior running back you know he's more of a bulldozer type but uh uh he didn't have uh but but one or two carries there uh against uh Grafton but it really just the the game flow just did not dictate that Michael for him to be involved from that standpoint you know Mason was so active on the defensive side of the ball there I don't know if that anything to do with the the play calling or not, but they were having to do a lot of stretch plays, you know, stretch zone. And that's where certainly Landon is going to be your ball carrier in that regard.
Speaker 2: Any positive surprises from week one that you think could carry over into either week two or further into the season?
Speaker 7: Oh, certainly for Phillip Barber, resiliency. Talking with Coach Maley, he's like, you know, Brian, they never quit. They didn't quit on me. You know, going back, Alex, you and I talk about this every year. What, four years ago when we first got together, you know, they probably would have hung their heads and lost this game. Down by nine points with, I think, literally like two minutes to go, whatever it was, they come back and win this ballgame.
Speaker 6: You know, who would have thought? They did.
Speaker 7: They didn't quit. They thought we're going to get this ball back. They make the long pass to Tristan Price. They get the stop on the fourth and one with the fumble, which was in Colts territory. And if Grafton gets that first down, you know, they win the ball game. They kneel and they're done.
Speaker 4: They fumble.
Speaker 7: We take it over and down the field we go and set Aiden Thorne up for that, I think it was a 24-yard field goal, right through the uprights. Time expires, you walk it off.
Speaker 3: Brian, we've talked a lot about Phillip Barber's emphasis on special teams. This is where that pays off, right, when you can get yourself in position to kick a field goal and be confident that you can make it.
Speaker 7: Yes, and here's the thing. You know, I'm down there walking the track July 4th. It's got to be 100 degrees out there. And who's out there kicking field goals by himself? Aiden Thorne. You know, he's kicking– he can easily, guys, easily 48, 49-yard field goal every time. And, you know, when you're that dedicated to your craft Good things are going to happen to you. They feel very confident. If they get to the 30-yard line, he's going to bang one through for them.
Speaker 2: So Philip Barber gets the win. The Facebook cannon up, sure, coming up this week. Remind folks where they can catch the broadcast.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: So 1240 a.m., 99.9 FM, WD & E. That's going to be locally. And pregame will start at 640, kickoffs at 7. You can also find us on the World Wide Web at www.wdnefm.com. And just go to Music & More and hit the Philip Barber stream. And then I highly recommend that WBRC Media app. It's pretty cool. Take that anywhere with you on your phone, your tablet, and catch us there on the WD & E app.
Speaker 2: Brian, you're a man of the 21st century. I love it. We're going to switch over to Grafton here in just a moment. John Board will join us.
Speaker 6: Momentarily.
Speaker 2: Here's the hand off the nest.
Speaker 8: It's a foul ball!
Speaker 2: The Cokes pick it up! And they're at the 35-yard line. Holy cow!
Speaker 8: Parker Herod bounced right to him, and he was ready.
Speaker 2: All right, so we just talked a little bit with Brian Bybee about the Philip Barber one-point win over their arch rivals from Grafton. Now John Board is with us on the line to talk about it from the Grafton perspective. And John, last week we talked, and you were very confident about the steps forward taken by this program. It is hard to ignore the steps forward. I know there's no such thing as a consolation loss, but it's hard to ignore the steps forward that Grafton football took last week.
Speaker 9: And I think you're absolutely right. we knew that these kids are, these kids are, have been in the weight room. They're well coached. We made some mistakes as you know, kids make mistakes. We made two big mistakes at cost. This ball game, actually three, because we fumbled when it was fourth down and one. So you have three mistakes here, a different ball game. I mean, we, we played extremely hard. Phil Barber's good football team. I'm not going to take anything away from them. They're good. Um, But it was just three mistakes cost us the game.
Speaker 3: What do you think was the one thing, if there was one thing, that they did better this year versus what you saw from them last year?
Speaker 9: I think their running attack. Their running game was much better. They probably have one of the best running backs in the area. Everybody says that, but they actually have one.
Speaker 4: He.
Speaker 9: The running back was extremely good and extremely smart.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious, from your perspective, I want to talk about the mistakes, especially the one on fourth down late in the game where Grafton could have iced it. Obviously, that's a big one. Young football teams, they make those mistakes. Mike and I have talked about it a lot on the show today in general. There is a learning process to winning. But I think what I'm curious about is you talked about how hard they played. What are some of the things, especially from your perspective managing the weight room, what are some of the encouraging signs that you noticed from a strength and conditioning perspective?
Speaker 9: Number one, the team didn't quit. These kids didn't quit. The closest we've come to beating Phillip Barber in the last four years is 21 points. They've hung 50 on us twice. And these kids would not give up. And as the game wore on, I think you saw our conditioning was better. They can debate that, but our conditioning was better. And these kids, there's no quit in them. They fought the whole game. The first half, they made some first-half mistakes. But the second half, they played extremely well, and they kept coming back. It was impressive. I mean, it was. To see the last four years and then to watch Friday night, it was impressive.
Speaker 3: What did you see from Chase Kenzie, junior, you know, dual threat guy, threw the ball pretty well, ran for 33 yards as well. What did you kind of see from him week one?
Speaker 9: His leadership. He took control. Chase's leadership. He was leading that team. And he got hit a few times. He got hit pretty hard a few times. And he'd get back up, and he was always encouraging. And he was a sophomore last year, so probably not so much the leadership as I saw this year, at least in the first game.
Speaker 2: So looking ahead now, and this is, I think, the big, you know, Next step now, Grafton, I think this is probably a message to the rest of the teams on their schedule. Hey, I mean, I would hope this would be a message. If you're a good coach and you just watched what happened between Grafton and a semifinalist from AA last season, you should be looking at this and going, okay, they might not be, and perhaps we cannot treat this as a pushover game. This is not a gimme. How do you now approach this next week against an East Fairmont team who I think showed some defensive proficiency last week but really labored offensively? What's this one look like for you guys?
Speaker 9: I think that last Friday night, even though they didn't win, we earned people's respect. I mean, I'm hearing it from you two. You know, we earned their respect. Now we've got to win a ball game. And I think that's what the kids were focused on, been focused on all week, is winning the game. We proved we could go out and slug it out with one of the better teams in the area, a team that's been in the playoffs, and we slugged it out with them. It was the last four seconds we lost the game. We won the respect. Now we've got to win the game.
Speaker 3: I imagine the atmosphere around the program is pretty high this week, even though they lost, just knowing that they put in that kind of performance and knowing that they can replicate it.
Speaker 9: Well, and I think you're right. I think one of the things always in the back of their mind, there was a doubt. Are we competent? Are we that good? Can we be that good? And I think, again, looking at it from my perspective, they realized how hard they played. And like I said, it was the last four seconds of the game.
Speaker 2: Is this one of those situations where... it might take the whole year for these guys to learn how to close out football games. Or do you think that's something that can come a little bit faster because they do have some experience with Bobby Beltner?
Speaker 9: I definitely think it's going to happen. I mean, they're going to close out. And I tell you right now, don't be surprised they don't close out Friday night. I mean, they are hungry for a win. They know they can win. And if you know you can win, that's a, That's a big deal. The last four years is, you know, you've got to go back into the 1920s to find a worse four years than what we had the last four. Back in the 20s, Grafton High School football. And these kids, these kids see themselves a little bit different now.
Speaker 3: As you look at these, these Fairmont team, what do you think their, their biggest challenges are? A team that's beaten, beaten Grafton the last five years?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think number one, you look at their size. Um, They're big up front. They're a lot bigger than us up front. They've got some talented receivers. They've got a decent running back. And they've got a quarterback with experience. It's not going to be a cakewalk. But I just think our kids are ready for a win.
Speaker 2: Remind folks where they can catch the broadcast of East Fairmont and Grafton. This one is at East West Stadium. Grafton doesn't open their home stretch until next week. Remind folks where they can catch tonight's broadcast.
Speaker 9: WGIE 92.7.
Speaker 10: Very good.
Speaker 2: And pregame coverage begins when?
Speaker 9: At 645.
Speaker 2: John, appreciate it, man. And you'll have to regale us with more stories from the weight room after East Fairmont, or excuse me, after Grafton gets their first win, which could potentially come this week against East Fairmont. And we'll talk with you next week.
Speaker 9: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: All right, Mike, we've now heard from, we've heard from Brian, we've heard from John and I, I listen, I want to be, I want to be really careful here. Cause it's like, you know, Phillip Barber did win.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: And, and like that is worth remembering. And I think that's going to look like a really good win. If Grafton does indeed take a big step forward. What kind of like we thought they were taking a step forward, you know, two years ago and then took a, you know, big step back last year. I think if they take a big step forward that this is going to look like a great win for Phillip Barber, but it's, it is kind of crazy that ultimately the story of this one is not about who won. It really is about Grafton hanging with one of the best teams in the big 10, one of the best teams in class AA. And I know that's a class down, but you look at the totals, the last year, you know, three seasons, last four seasons. I mean, this game hasn't, hadn't been close, uh, at any stretch. The, the, the closest margin was 35, 14 in 2024. And that year, uh, that was Grafton's best season, uh, of the last four years, they've won three games. Uh, so it's, it's, it's really interesting. It's a, it's a really interesting situation there. And I think they, you know, one way or another, they still feel like the big story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to see them produce a little bit more offensively this week. They were able to make some good plays on defense and special teams and kind of stay in that game. But they really didn't have a ton of offensive yards. I think this is an East Fairmont team that, as you mentioned in the interview with John Board, played pretty well defensively week one but couldn't really score. So I feel like Grafton's going to have a lot of possessions and a lot of chances to put up numbers. I want to see them do it. But I do feel like, as I said in the pre-for-all yesterday, The schedule says that well for them, but they could win two or three of these next four or five games and put themselves in a solid position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really interested in this. I mean, if they if they can beat East Fairmont, I think they have a real chance to go on a little bit of run here leading into that Elkins game. The schedule is not easy, but it's not hard, if that makes sense. There's it's sort of a. a softer part of the schedule. And then the second half of the season goes, not so much.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Elkins, RCB, Bridgeport, North Marion, and then Lewis County, certainly, you know, not to say anything negative against Lewis County, but among those five, they're probably the weakest. So you get four, four, tough teams in a row four teams who are expecting to be in the playoffs one of whom is expecting to be competing for a state championship um and another one who is expecting this to be their best season in years that is a very tough stretch so this is if grafton and again i don't want to throw the p word around right now it's ridiculous to throw it around this early but if they do at least want to be in that conversation it does start with this is the part of the schedule where they're going to have to pick up some wins Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think the next four, East Fairmont, Lincoln, Hampshire, Brooklyn Springs, all winnable games that they played like they did last week. But again, nothing's guaranteed. You got to continue to bring it. And, you know, the intensity clear was there. It was a rivalry game. It was week one. You got to be able to do that every week. And if Grafton can do that every week, and I see no reason why they couldn't, I think they'll be in a decent position in the first half of the year. And again, this is one of those things where expanding the playoffs helps a program like Grafton. When you have 64 making instead of 48 and you're four and six, five and five, you're in position where you might make it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And again, I just go back to year two under Nick Maley. They went three and seven and their three wins were blowout wins. So they were clearly a cut above the three teams they played who were decent. Big Ten schools, Grafton, Liberty, Harrison, Elkins, and then you look at the games they lost, and yeah, they lost to some good teams. They lost to Robert Seabird, but the four of their seven losses were by one possession, and one of their losses was by two possessions, by 13 points, which we know can sometimes be, you know, a little deceptive in terms of that could have potentially been a closer game. And sort of my point behind that was, like, it did take Phillip Barber an entire year, really. I mean, if you think about it, because they obviously, Nick Maley's first year, they were even worse, but it took them that entire season to learn how to be in those games. And then the next season they turned those close losses into wins. And a couple of them were really tight. So like, that's the question for me on graft. And I'm, you know, we'll have more time. I'm sure next week to, to get into it. But that, that to me is the question is, Can you can you accelerate that timeline at all? Because this is not as big of a rebuild. Again, the history that Bobby Beltner has with these kids already, the fact that so many of them already have experience, like it's not like this is a big group of freshmen and sophomores, comparatively speaking to what you would normally see in a first year of a head coach. So I don't know. These are all questions that are going to get answered, I think, in the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: And then the other side of that equation, Phillip Barber, this is a big win for them to pull this off, to come back, to win by one, because you've got Buchanan up for this week. That's the game you're favored in. But then you're playing North Merion, Bridgeport, and Elkins after that. So if you don't win that game against Grafton, one and four, two and three is a possibility at the midway point of the season. So winning that game, I think, is really important to put themselves in a position where That second half, when things get a little bit easier and they're playing more in their class, they're in a position where if they can win four of those five games or five of those five games, they're hosting a playoff game.
Speaker 2: We're going to go ahead and take a break. We've got a lot more coming here on the Friday free-for-all. It's Bridgeport time next, though, and we're back right after this. Our show brought to you by our friends at Dan Kavitz, Toyota Buick, GMC. He's Michael Minnick. I'm Alex Wiederspiel. We're back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now, back to the Dan Cava Toyota Buick GMC Friday free-for-all on 103.3 WKMZ.
Speaker 10: Now back, and here comes Gavin around the corner, kick out.
Speaker 11: Block, end zone, touchdown. Gavin Williams.
Speaker 10: Pays dirt for the 28th time on the ground the last two seasons.
Speaker 11: Four yards out in Bridgeport.
Speaker 10: Takes advantage of that excellent starting field position to take an early 6-0 lead.
Speaker 2: Friday Free-for-All rolling on here, brought to you by our friends at Dan Cava, Toyota Buick, GMC. You just heard Travis Jones on the call as Bridgeport absolutely dominated Buckhannon Upshur. And certainly not necessarily anything that we're surprised by. But there are, I will say, Travis, there are some moments when I look somehow... the sticker shock of seeing a 68, nothing score still does take me aback for just a moment as I'm, as I'm reading it, you know, during, uh, uh, did a, did a post game score update segment on, on our South Harrison broadcast. And I did take me aback for, for just a moment. I mean, it's, it's a lot of points.
Speaker 6: You're right. It's crazy.
Speaker 10: I guess that's the advent of offenses, I guess. And maybe the, um, the advancement in, in the student athletes bodies, because, you know, you go back and, you know, I'm, uh, a guy that has kept some historical records on Bridgeport football, and you go back and look at the scores even into the 70s, that never happened. Much more ball control back then. Less spread, I think, has led to more scores. But you bring up an interesting point. I think there's probably a case study to be done there as to why we see such, not even lopsided scores. There's always been some lopsided scores, but higher scoring averages in high school football.
Speaker 3: But anyway, that's not why you call it. I think one theory that I have is, One area that's definitely improved in the state in the last 20, 30 years is special teams. So take this game as an example. Bridgeport kicks off.
Speaker 6: It's a touchback.
Speaker 3: They get a stop. They get the ball in BU territory.
Speaker 6: They quickly score.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, exactly right. And what, five touchbacks on the night? And, you know, Jalen had multiple kicks inside the five-yard line. Gavin Williams with the touchback. So, yeah, that was the other story of the game was, you know, Buchanan just did not have very good starting field position and just had– trouble running the football from the jump, finished with negative rushing yards on the game and only had two first downs. So, you know, that makes it tough. But again, guys, you know, as we went into this last week, not unexpected. I just, I wonder, and I asked Tyler about this on Tuesday night, how much do you gain from a game like that? You know, Bridgeport, I think heading into the Martinsburg game, that's really not what they wanted. Uh, they had to pick the positives out of what they got, but, uh, in, in theory, they would have liked, you know, to at least had to have played, you know, into the, into the third quarter with the starters.
Speaker 2: That was going to be my question to you. In fact, it's what, what do you gain out of a game like this? And, and it's nothing, I mean, it's nothing to do with the scheduling. I mean, this is a class quadruple a team. You're, you're thinking in theory that this is probably not going to happen when teams go up a classification. Typically there is some level of, of, um, there is some level of difficulty that changes. If I'm playing video games and I play on all Madden instead of on all pro games, harder games, harder, but you know, seriously, I mean, but this is not the case here.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I, in, in.
Speaker 10: Terms of what, what you gain, I do think that anytime you can get out there and, and look at some lineups and, and look at matchups and, and assignments and get some film and, You know, those type of things. Certainly getting your young kids out there, there's benefit to that. But, you know, quite frankly, it probably ends there. Things get real. But, you know, conversely, Martinsburg had about the same situation with Hedgesville Friday night as well. So I think, you know, from a level standpoint, both teams are on about common ground coming into Friday.
Speaker 4: I think, too, Travis, we.
Speaker 3: Saw Buchanan try and throw it a decent amount, 16 passing attempts. They hit a couple. but a lot of them were just kind of underneath. Long was 13 yards, so it felt like when they tried to go deeper, which is something Bridgeport, I know, wants to work on, they didn't have a lot of success. Bridgeport covered them well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're right, and I was impressed with Proney McDaniel's arm strength from Buchanan. I mean, when he missed, he overthrew receivers, and these were You know, they went early, no question. First play of the game, they go right at Bridgeport's new starting corner, Carson Bastien. So, yeah, so good point, Mike. That was good to get the secondary a little bit of a look. Of course, you know, tonight the game picks up a lot, lot faster with Martinsburg's speed than what you saw last Friday night. But it did give them an opportunity to kind of see all that work with the back-end coverage and trying to get, you know, a pass rush. Tonight's a little bit different. You know, you've got to have a controlled pass rush because Brian Dix certainly can hurt you with his feet.
Speaker 2: According to Four Seasons Football, this is the first regular season matchup between these two since 1952?
Speaker 11: That's correct.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 10: That is correct.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 10: All postseason since then. And again, it's been a long time coming, this series. There's been conversations previously about getting this game on the schedule, and the weeks just didn't match up. one way or the other, you know, Martinsburg typically it had more openings, uh, than Bridgeport. You know, we, we talk about how difficult it's been for the Indians here in the last 10 years, you know, finishing out their schedule with the non-conference portion of the schedule, you know, amplify that about 10 for Martinsburg. Uh, you know, they only have nine games right now. They're still looking for a 10th, you know, they're having to go to upstate or not go to, they're having teams from upstate New York and a team from Canada come in this year. They've had to go down to Iron, Ohio. I think they've played a team from Canada before. So yeah, when Bridgeport talks about difficulty filling out the non-conference schedule, Martinsburg is sitting there yawning because it's a problem that they've had for a long, long time.
Speaker 3: Had to play Highland Springs home and away, too, and Richmond. That's not an easy trip either, Don, 81 and 95, to play one of the best teams in Virginia, too.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no doubt about it. So, you know, I don't know what the future of this contract is. Bridgeport goes to Martinsburg next year. We'll see what happens after that. But certainly I think that any time you can get a matchup like this, it only benefits the fans, and really it only benefits the team. I mean, let's face it, Martinsburg's the favorite in this game. From Bridgeport's standpoint, even if they lose the game, you know, with the new, the way the rating is set up, with the strength of schedule, this will still be a very beneficial game for Bridgeport, as opposed to playing maybe a two-win team in Week 2.
Speaker 2: Right, and I do think, looking at the way this is set up for Bridgeport, like, again, I know you don't want to lose and you go into every game thinking that a, you want to win and you want to have some level of pressure on you, but it actually feels like there's less pressure than there would be because this will not, they're not going to see them again. This does not matter long-term. It's really about who are we right now in this moment? And let's, let's test ourselves against the very best.
Speaker 10: Well, I think the coaching staff and Tyler has said continuously that this team needs this. Uh, they need this type of competition. They need to see, uh, This speed, this physicality that they'll see later in the season.
Speaker 11: I'll say this.
Speaker 10: I think it falls in a good spot for Bridgeport in terms of getting Martinsburg early in the year. They're very, very good in the skill position. If they have any questions, it's along the offensive line. They're replacing a ton of starters there. They only have one starter back in Zion Reeves at right tackle along the offensive line. So they're only going to get better. But conversely, I think Bridgeport's only going to get better as well. So, but if it's a, you know, if you're going to play Martinsburg anytime this season, I think you certainly want to play them early, if at all, you know, if at all.
Speaker 3: We've talked a lot about Gavin Williams kind of being the headline guy on this team, but how important in this game are Gabe Martin, Eli Knight, two guys that are a little bit more physical runners to kind of, because I figure Bridgeport's hope, I mean, they'd love to score on the first play, but they're going to have to sustain some drives to win this game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think you're exactly right, Mike, because, you know, again, I just go back to the last two meetings with Martinsburg. Each were a handful of years ago in the playoffs. Saw what Martinsburg did against this offense. You know, they really loaded up the middle, forced Bridgeport to run outside, and then they had the speed outside to chase it all down, right? When Bridgeport lost to Morgantown in the regular season a few years ago at home, same thing. Very, very good free safety from Morgantown. Chased everything down. So that's going to be the game plan for them. They'll put Boston Todd kind of in center field and let him try to control the outside. So as you mentioned, it comes back, I think, a lot to Eli Knight and Gabe Martin. And are they able to muscle it up and kind of pound it in the middle and get the 3.5, 4 yards per carry advantage? that Bridgeport is looking for to keep the drive alive. Last time we were in Martinsburg, I thought Bridgeport moved the ball between the 20s, just bogged down, and I think they went 0-3 on fourth down conversions in the red zone in that game, and that was the difference in the game. So there's no question about it, and I even asked Tyler last night, In a perfect world, yeah, you would like to have about five 80-yard drive, time-killing drives, keep Martinsburg's offense off the field. But you get into these type of games where you think they're going to score a lot. You've got to try to keep up. You've got to take points whenever you can get them in any way you can get them. So if you break a long one, you break a long one. Certainly, you're going to take it. But I think if you're talking about the way that Martinsburg would like this game to play out and the way Bridgeport would like it to play out, Bridgeport certainly would like to win the time of possession. roll up some first downs, keep Martinsburg's offense on the sideline, and cash in with points on those drives.
Speaker 3: As you look at Martinsburg's offense, what do you feel like maybe their best matchup is against Bridgeport?
Speaker 10: Well, I think they're going to put Boston Todd, they're going to get Boston Todd the ball, whether they have to hand it to him, screen it to him, throw it to him, slant it to him, go route it. I mean, they'll get him the football. They'll try to get Bridgeport's linebackers safeties and corners in space that's what they do to everybody because they feel like they've got you know superior athletes you know top to bottom than everybody else in the state so I don't think there's any question about that you know they're going to try to run the ball some Bridgeport shuts that down and holds McDonald Gibson you know under control then they'll run the quarterback Brian Dixon and they're going to find ways to get the ball into their playmakers hands and you know, like a Boston Todd and a Ty Ricketts. And, you know, I'll tell you what, the other kid that nobody really talks about is Christian Irving. He's a sophomore. Watched him on film, saw him last year in his freshman year. You know, he's the next big star for Martinsburg. So he's, you know, he's the type of kid that any time you pay and give too much attention to Boston Todd and put him on one-on-one, you know, he's going to hurt you. So they've just got, they've got a ton of weapons, you know, offensively. We saw it last year in the state championship game. And all those guys are back for the most part with a year of seasoning. So yeah, I mean, Bridgeport, any team Martinsburg plays, the Indians included this year, they're going to have their hands full with this offense. There's no question about that.
Speaker 2: Travis, go ahead. And as is tradition, remind us where we can catch tonight's broadcast.
Speaker 10: All right, 6.06 tonight, right here on 103.3 KMZ. You can also listen on the Bridgeport Sports Radio app. And of course, this is also the Metro News Game of the Week. So the television broadcast will be there For you as well, Eli Brady and Coach Nick Bartik on the call. If you're a Bridgeport fan, come out first and foremost. Had a great crowd last week. Hopefully the stands are packed. I anticipate it will be. You'll get Bridgeport fans there. You'll get Martinsburg fans there tonight. I think you're going to get just the common football fan who wants to come out and watch a great game. And then you'll also get the fans that want to come out and watch Bridgeport lose. So you always get that as well.
Speaker 2: Very good. Thanks, Travis.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 11: Thanks, guys. Here's Graham. Back to pass. Looking wide open. Duran, 15, 10, 5. In zone. Touchdown. They brought the wing in motion.
Speaker 10: They had run that play earlier in the drive, and that set up the fake. And then Graham Benson with a beautiful strike right in stride to Brody Duran, the senior. And he pulls it in and scores a receiving touchdown, and Bridgeport builds the lead to 13-0. Coach Ferris on his coach's show this week says, we like the pass, we want to score.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what happened on the first pass attempt of the night for Grant Benson. This is the Friday Free-for-All brought to you by Dan Cava, Toyota World, Alex Wiederspiel. and Michael Minnick still with you. You just heard the sultry, I don't know if anyone's ever actually described Travis's sultry, but you just heard the dulcet tones. You just heard Travis Jones.
Speaker 3: The sultry tones of Travis Jones, it even rhymed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. You just heard the play-by-play call of Travis Jones, a couple of touchdown calls from that Buckhannon-Upshur game. There were, of course, several touchdowns to go around in that game. Chris George is now with us to have sort of the final word on Bridgeport-Buckhannon-Upshur and give us his thoughts on Bridgeport-Martinsburg. What's up, Chris?
Speaker 4: How you guys doing?
Speaker 2: Man, just working through what a start to the high school football second week. And hopefully Bridgeport Martinsburg has the potential to live up to this. I don't want to say the hype because I think there are plenty of reasons why this could not be a good game. But I mean, there's a lot of intrigue behind it. So I'm excited for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think everybody is. I think this is a matchup that people have been wanting to see for a long time. I mean, we got to see a sample size of it in the playoffs back in the early 2020s here. And, you know, we we knew how good Martinsburg, you know, is. Obviously, they're one of the winningest programs in the last five. you know, 15, 20 years than anybody, and Bridgeport's right there with them. You know, and I think it's funny. Everyone, when they think Martinsburg, they think high-flying offense, which, yeah, it's true. They can score a ton of points. They can throw it. They can run it. They've got all the skill. But what people that are unfamiliar with Martinsburg don't understand is how good their line of scrimmage is. And, you know, any football guru understands that, you know, this team's scoring well. as many points as they are per game and doing what they do on balance with offense, their line of scrimmage is pretty good, which means their defensive line is pretty good too. And that's been the difference in the two playoff games when Bridgeport played Martinsburg in the playoffs at the time, then it was quite a Bridgeport Indian football team. And, you know, that was the one team that was kind of Bridgeport's kryptonite. They couldn't really move the ball. I mean, they could move up between the twenties. They get inside the red zone and bog down. Now, Since then, I think we've had a couple of Bridgeport teams that were more talented offensively than some of those teams in the playoffs, but we'll see. Big test is tonight, Martinsburg, probably, in my opinion, the best team in Class 4A against Bridgeport, who could be the top team in Class AAA. We'll find out right now, you know, while this is going to be answered tomorrow or tonight, and it should be fun.
Speaker 3: Asked Travis this question too, but how important is the power running game going to be? We know what Gavin Williams can do, but being able to kind of get a little bit between the tackles, especially in a third and short or a fourth and short.
Speaker 4: I think it's important. I think you want to sustain drives against this Martinsburg team to kind of keep their offense off the field. But, you know, single wing's a different type of offense. It's a big, you know, the single wing is like the spread in the passing game. You know, single wing is built to, you know, run the football a ton. We understand that, but it's a big play offense. And everyone's like, well, how can you run the ball 98% of the time and have a big playoff offense? Well, the single wing is designed to score almost every time you touch it. Because if you block everything up, how in the hat, you know, do everything right, you can score a touchdown almost every time. And we've seen Bridgeport score a ton of touchdowns on long runs over the years, big plays, two and three yard drives. But, you know, they have that this year. They have the interior threat with a healthy Gabe Martin who, provided that last year you know first half of the year before he suffered that injury and we lost it in the second half and I think it was the difference in that team down the stretch so I think it's very important tomorrow because if you want to run to the perimeter you've got to you've got to be able to run a little bit on the inside so you've got to make them take away that inside running game if if running backs like Gavin Williams and Graham Benson and whomever it might be even even Gabe can get outside if you want to get the outside run game going but All in all, it starts up front, guys, you know, and this is a huge test for this Bridgeport front. You know, it's an experienced front that got their, you know, feet wet last week. A lot of them in roles as varsity starters for the first time are guys who started a year ago, like Tristan Noble, who played right side tight end on the strong side. Now he's moved the inside tackle on the right side. So yeah, he's got plenty of experience, but he's playing a different position. So this ought to be fun. It's going to be a good test. And, uh, boy, we could talk, we could talk for an hour on this one. I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Real quick before we, we, uh, move on. Um, cause we're, we're low on, we're low on time here. I am, uh, I am kind of curious about your perspective on what this game means for sort of the, the totality of the season, like a day's end is the most important thing they can do. Just not get hurt. Or is there something to prove here for Bridgeport?
Speaker 4: I think every time you play, there's something to prove. And I think Tyler Ferris understands that this year, some inexperience up front. So every time out, this team has something to prove. They want to be better every game. You know, we talked about this a few weeks ago, and Tyler was right. He felt last year's team did not get better as the year went on. He felt they peaked early. And this year he wants to get back to that, you know, Bridgeport football where they get better every game. So this is game number two. Next week is step number three. Then we've got step number four and so on. So, yeah, ultimately you don't want to get anybody hurt. Ultimately you don't want to get blown out, which I don't think they will. Ultimately you want to win the game. Can they win the game? Sure they can win the game. Will they lose the game? Yeah, it's possible. You know, it's a tough matchup. You want to break it down X and O's. I think there's a lot of advantages that go to Martinsburg's way. But Bridgeport playing at home, they're physical, and we'll see how Martinsburg handles it in week two. I know one thing. I talked to Dave Walker earlier this week. He's concerned because– He knows his teams don't play their best football early in the season. That's his biggest concern, and he knows how physical and how well Bridgeport executes what they do offensively, and he knows it's going to be difficult to stop. I think he'd rather play this game week eight or nine. I think Bridgeport would rather play this game week eight or nine. However, it's week two, and it will be played tonight.
Speaker 3: Seeing that Martin's routine a couple years ago, it was Ezra Bajent, the younger brother of Tyson Bajent, the current Bears backup quarterback, And he could run it a little bit, but I feel like with Dick, it's much more of a dual threat sort of thing, and he can do both really well.
Speaker 4: He's unbelievable. And that's what concerns me tomorrow is him. He is a guy that can throw it, and he can run it, and he's 210, 215 pounds, and he can run you over, he can run around you, and he's just a weapon. And I think Brian Dick, being as good as he is offensively, puts a big– it's a big issue for this game coming up because– You take a look at it, all in all, who is going to– you've got to be very disciplined tonight. You've got to be very disciplined in how you play the RPO and the zone read because he can pull it, then he can throw it, he can pull it, then he can run it, or he can just hand it off. So you've got to be disciplined. You can't over-pursue the football or they'll hurt you.
Speaker 2: One last quick note. Thoughts on the potential for– we obviously saw what it did last night with the inclement weather. Any concerns about what the weather could do to this game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's concerns. You know, I was driving home from Fairmont last night, back to Elkins after the Fairmont State broadcast, and it was a humongous, wonderful, beautiful lightning show. And all the way back to Elkins, it was dry. Everything was north of us. But, you know, as soon as we got back to Elkins, we got out of the shower about 11.45, the rain hit, the storm hit. So, yeah, it's possible. You worry about it. In this situation last year, it got us in a heritage game. Bridgeport was on the winning side of things when the game ultimately was called. You know, I think this game, if it gets in that situation, I think both teams are going to wait out as long as they can to get it done. So hopefully we don't have that issue. There are scattered thunderstorms in the forecast for today, but it looks like, according to the forecast, by later evening, nighttime, it should start to dissipate a little bit. But man, you just never know if the weather and the hot, humid weather in the month of September in West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Oh, that is the truth. All right, we're going to take a quick break here and come back. We've got much more to go here. Chris is going to rejoin us during the 9 o'clock hour, so if you want to hear a little bit more, and we're going to get a lot deeper into some other teams around the state, stick with us. We've got lots more high school football to talk here on the Friday Free-for-All, brought to you by Dan Cava, Toyota World.
Speaker 1: Back to the WKMZ locker room for more high school sports on the Dan Cava Toyota Buick GMC Friday free-for-all.
Speaker 2: Maxwell takes a knee. It was not always pretty. South Harrison led 14-7 when this game went into a lightning delay. They will finish with a 20-19 win and improve to 2-0 on the season. That was the final call from South Harrison's victory over Lincoln last season. I don't know if you guys remember that one. It took multiple days to complete. So you're going to hear these two teams in the same segment a lot this year. And coincidentally, they happen to also play uh this week and and of course uh last year it was a kind of do or die game which we didn't really realize at the time but it was do or die for south harrison they had to get the win if you look back uh kind of at the way the season went down uh over the course of two different days thanks to some stormy weather that we could see a repeat of today the hawks managed to hold off lincoln and win 20 to 19 over the lincoln cougars now lincoln of course has a much tougher schedule As a result, the Cougars probably didn't need that game. In fact, as we now know, they did not need that game. They still finished ahead of South Harrison in the playoff ratings. We have Craig Dutton with us, the play-by-play voice of the Lincoln Cougars. And that makes for an interesting dynamic in this, Craig, in that for Lincoln, they have sort of a lot of different options for a game like this and for a path into the playoffs. And I think this kind of makes this a must win for South Harrison. And it's definitely a game Lincoln would like to have. I don't know if this is a must win for them, though.
Speaker 12: I'm not too sure the way the season's going about. It may not be a must win for them, the way things are going. especially the way their season started last year. Four wins most likely can get Lincoln in in Class AA with their schedule in Class AAA. But it's hard to say with the way these two teams have been playing at the start of the season. I think the key right now is wondering how good South Harrison's defense is versus Lincoln, how structured they're going to be with their offense. They're going to have a different starting quarterback this week. They start with Jacob Bart last week with Bear Saab. Bear Saab is going to get the nod to start for Lincoln. They're going to move Jacob Bart back as a second and third option there in the receiving for Lincoln now.
Speaker 3: So Bart throws for about 200 yards and they have a better option. That's a very good sign for the Lincoln offense.
Speaker 12: That's how Coach Hawkins is looking at it. Bear Saab came to Lincoln and And he's been on a few flag football teams in the past through the bridge and has had a lot of success and can toss the ball a good bit. And they feel very confident with him running the offense and with all the pieces around them. They feel that Jacob Bart would be better suited to be the flanker for the Cougars and then move back and allow Cypher to be in that backup role again. Last week, he did a great job. Chase and Cypher gained like four inches of height and he played pretty well versus Elkins last week. Still, Colton Edwards as a guy was the main target for Jacob Bart. I think it will continue to be that way for Bear Saab. It'll be either Colton Edwards or Jacob Bart. On any one night, we'll have a great evening for the Cougars receiving.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of curious, how do you grade the way Lincoln looked? I think that scoreline probably doesn't do justice to how well Lincoln played in parts of that game, but how do you grade them? How do you think the coaching staff is grading them after the loss to Elkins?
Speaker 4: After that loss.
Speaker 12: They're kicking themselves again because on consecutive years now, they've allowed a team to set the single game rushing record. They did versus Devin Nash at Nicholas County last year, about midway through the season. And then Seth Robinson, I did not realize that. I thought there was a few teams under when Greg Haught was coach in the 2000s. There was a few kids that may have set that record, but it wasn't. It was set by Seth Robinson last week with 326 yards. That's a single-game record in Elkins' history for rushing in one game. A lot of that came in the fourth quarter. It was 21-21 after three quarters of play. It just felt like Lincoln dominated some of the field possession early on versus the Tigers, and then towards the second half, they just got a bit tired trying to stop the same thing over and over again. That was Seth Robinson up the gut. I don't know if they'll be able to run Robinson like that all season, if Jaden Hatfield's going to come back, but they also found a quality back in Tony Sylvester, which the words of Mike Wolf, he could just rip the top off of any game and give that fast option out of the backfield for the Tigers. So they're going to be pretty good as the season goes on. Lincoln really needs to sure that up. They could expect somewhat of the same versus South Harrison this week with the stick eye, but it's going to be a lot more consistent trying to focus on stopping them around the corners and and not let anything up the gut again. It's going to be exactly the same thing, and they just don't want the Hawks to try to dominate the clock. They want to have as many opportunities as they had last week versus Elkins.
Speaker 3: Connor Rice had a 62-yard run in this game. That was half of his yards in this game. How do you feel like the run game shaped up last week?
Speaker 11: Really good.
Speaker 12: We haven't seen Trent Moore yet, and that was something we really expected to see. Maybe they're holding him for another game. But Connor Rice held his own, did really good. He ran him most of the drive. That's why Cade Mooney had one touchdown because his helmet got ripped off and then Mooney just finished a job. Mooney did an outstanding job on defense and special teams for the Cougars as well. We're going to be mentioning his name a lot more this year and next year. But Rice did outstanding in terms of the run game. Even Jacob Bart did a good job in trying to manage it and watch what was going on in the field. I think that was the big win is that they know they're pretty confident in the quarterback game, but they're really happy with what Connor Rice can do and pull out a couple yards per play. I think he's going to continue to tote the load, and if they feel it's a night where they could run the ball even more, they're going to give him some breaks and allow Caden Mooney and hopefully Trent Moore some opportunities on offense.
Speaker 2: Do you want to talk a little bit about what Lincoln can do potentially better on either side of the ball, really? But I guess the biggest things to take forward, not just in this South Harrison game, but through the rest of this season.
Speaker 12: Through the rest of the season, it's got to be stopping the run game. I mean, most of their teams on their schedule now all run a run primarily offense. Coach Hawkins and I were talking about it. based on what everyone does, it's primary run with everyone. No one runs a spread locally. And, again, that goes to the roots in traditionalism. You know, it's in the north, central, west Virginia area when it comes to a running sort of game. So your defense is preparing for something completely different, what your own offense runs from time to time. I feel the balance is there. That's been a success on offense. They just need to extend drives. They can't have three and outs and just give the ball right back. And on defense, you've got to get teams off the field quickly. especially in the run game. Even if it's just a couple first downs, you're trying to stop a run game consistently. That's going to be tough. Elkins went to the air a lot more than was expected last week. This week, you just know what South Harrison's going to do. They're not going to put the ball in the air about eight or nine times like Elkins did, maybe two or three, and I hope to convert on those and really try to pull the Lincoln defense in on the box if they can. So they just got to be ready to stop the run at any one moment, even if they have to sell out and get away from the pass defense and focus fully on the run because there are some athletes there. Mooney had a great job on defense. I have to confirm he had close to 20 tackles. You just got to be able to get your line to sync up with what the linebackers are trying to do.
Speaker 3: Talked about what Elkins was able to do last week. Obviously, South Harrison comes off a win. Grafton lost. That's the week three opponent, but they look good. Nicholas has a win. North Marion has a win. So the first five teams Lincoln are playing are four and one. So again, that speaks to the strength of the schedule.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 12: And that's why I think four wins on a AAA-dominated schedule would do enough. And there are some winnable games in the middle of the season, but you don't want to depend upon those right now. Lincoln's got to be able to try to focus in and get a few of these in the early part of the season. They did that with Grafton last year before that middle stretch. It's going to be harder to tell if they can do that versus the Bearcats on the road. So this week they're fully focused on this home opener in hopes that they could try to steal back a game that was hard fought between South Harrison and Lincoln last year. Both teams did a really good job about holding their own. A few mistakes on both sides. I would say right now the biggest key, and you look at everything, is honestly I think it's South Harrison's defense. I think that's the opportunity we're really going to see. Are they for real? They did really good in their scrimmage versus Elkins, and they shut out Braxton County last week on their home opener. So it's dependent on what South Harrison, I think, can do defensively. That's where either they're going to force enough mistakes to cause Lincoln trouble, or they're just going to put it all on their offense one way or the other to try to determine the outcome of the game. And Lincoln doesn't want to do that. They want their offense to try to dominate and pick up first downs, control the pace of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, and we'll talk more about South Harrison coming up here in a moment, but I can certainly say that's a Hawks defense. They're really excited and happy about the 11 guys they have on the field. As with every instance with South Harrison, they're trying to figure out, okay, when we need to get a 12th guy out there to sub in, 13th guy, when we're subbing in and out, how can we develop these guys over the course of the season so that we feel good about that? Because These guys are going to have to get a break eventually. Hey, Craig, remind folks if they are looking for the Lincoln Home broadcast where they can catch that tonight.
Speaker 12: It'll be on 93.5 FM, WFBY.com, the new WVRC media app. And then our audio will run via the Harrison County Board of Education's free huddle feed as well. We'll run that on there as well for the broadcast.
Speaker 2: Very good. Thanks, Craig. And let's play a quick clip from the last game and we'll switch over to South Harrison in just a moment.
Speaker 12: Bart back at quarterback. Again, he'll bring Cypher onto the field. A handoff to Connor Rice. Breaks around one tackler. Second tackler breaks around a third at midfield. That's a 45. Changes to the right side. It's a foot race to the 30, 20, 10, 5, and push to the end zone. No, they're going to say he's out at the 2. It looked like he went out over the pylon, but they're going to mark him down to 2, and that will be a 63-yard run by the senior Connor Rice.
Speaker 2: So obviously a really big game this week in Class AA. We just heard from Craig Dutton about the Lincoln Cougars. A year ago, South Harrison had to take on Lincoln twice, sort of. I guess two halves, if you will. They played basically the first half of football on Friday night. Game got suspended due to weather. It was the only game in the state that was actually outright suspended and then resumed on Monday. And boy, Lincoln had the better of it in the back half of that one. And ultimately, South Harrison gets the win 20-19, a real tight game, and made a real difference. I don't know that South Harrison's a playoff team without that win, that one-point margin over a Lincoln Cougar team who, unfortunately for South Harrison, is quite battle-tested but doesn't give them any of those bonus points you might get from up the rankings, Mike. This feels like this is a very early swing game for both of these teams, but in particular for South Harrison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think when you have two teams in the same class, in the same county, you're going to build a rivalry. You know, these two teams did not play a ton when Lincoln was in AAA or in a higher classification and South Arizona was in single A and Lincoln was in AA. Now that they're in the same class, it has a lot of meaning. It's an easy trip for both teams, obviously, and it's a competitive trip for both teams. So it checks a lot of boxes. And yeah, i do feel like lincoln because of the strength of their schedule needs this needs the points less than south harrison does but i do feel like the hawks with that win last week are in good shape even if they lose this.
Speaker 2: Game yeah i just i got to see more from the hawks offensively i think that the defense was was pretty good granted braxton county is funny we were talking about sort of the importance of special teams with Brian Bybee when we were talking about the Philip Barber-Grafton game. And special teams was really, really, really important in this game. Braxton County twice tried to attempt a field goal. The first one was just well wide, just not even close. And then the second one, I believe, though I did not get this confirmed, live, it just looked like a bad snap. And then they had to just make do with that. I don't think it was an intentional fake. Um, but so in both those cases, both trips to the red zone for Braxton County, they come away with no points and South Harrison's able to win that game. I don't know that 14 is going to get it done against Lincoln.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think the lack of explosive plays to longest run they had was 11 yards. That's not going to get it done in a lot of games where you're going to kind of need to hit a home run, especially when you have a lot of kids to play two way. Because, yes, you're grinding the other team with these long drives, but you're also grinding your own guys. So if you can have a guy just sprint 60 yards and get you points, that's preferable than having a 12-play, 60-yard drive.
Speaker 2: Well, there were also four fumbles in this game. Although, curious, I'm going to have to go back and double-check this. I only listed three, but Max Preps has four. I'll double-check with Coach on that. But the real key was there were three fumbles in the first quarter alone, right? And as I had it on my sheet, I had one for each running back, Paul Ross and Harlow. Harlow was the one who wound up losing it. And I think that's an, that's another element of it right there. When you, when you look at the way South Harrison wants to distribute their running game, I think their preference is to run Harlow more than shepherd Paul, but in that game and with the concerns about granted, again, they had three different running backs, you know, uh, put the ball on the ground. They were fortunate only to lose at the one time. They had to run a much more evenly distributed system, but one that Paul still was the lead horse on. So for a guy that they really want to conserve defensively, he carried the ball 17 times on a night when they had five different running backs carry it 51 times. So he led the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're happy with maybe him getting a 30-year carries, but not when there's 51 carries. That's a little bit of a load on Shepard Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for a guy who obviously dealt with numerous injuries last year, and I say numerous, really. I actually talked with Coach about this. He said it was pretty much the same injury all year. It just never had a chance. There were maybe two separate injuries. One was really short-lived, and then there was one that was pretty much lasting the whole year, and it just it just didn't get a good opportunity to heal and they had to pull them for a couple of weeks. And, and yeah, so I don't think that that's, that's ultimately going to be the, the method. I know that the game night crew got a kick out of cause they asked me specifically, they said, so, so South Harrison through one pass, what, what happened on that one pass? That's it. That was, that was, it was 51 carries one attempt. And there was one other called passing play on a two point conversion that Lucas not pulled down and tried to run instead. So that wouldn't even have counted as a pass attempt. So this felt pretty vintage South Harrison from, from, from, you know, my experience and your experience. I think this is pretty much Hawks football.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's the way they want to play in terms of, in terms of being run heavy. Obviously, again, you don't want to run 51 plays and only get short of three, 53 yards on the ground. You'd love to have a couple of kids break runs, but you know, I think it also, you know, the flip side of that is you do control the ball. I think two thirds of the game, they had the ball. So, give the other team's offense out the field. That's key to.
Speaker 2: 19 minutes of possession in the second half. So, um, 24 minutes total in, in, uh, uh, in the second half and they held it for 19. So that's, that's pretty good. I guess the, the, the challenge I think this week is I feel like Lincoln is going to be, is going to be hungry. If that Lincoln and I, I, I, you know, this is, it's always going to be tough to tell until you see it in person, but if that Lincoln run defense is, can at least limit the big plays, something they could not do a year ago, seemingly against anybody. That might actually be what flips the script in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think Lincoln, you know, they didn't win, were better against the run against Elkins than they had the last couple years. So I think that's progress. And I do feel like this is a game, I mean, I think that's true for most South Harrison games. It's going to be won or lost up front. You know, whoever's line controls this game, I think wins this game.
Speaker 2: All right, on that note, we're going to go ahead and take another break when we come back. We're going to talk with Sean McNamara about North Marion. Obviously, we got a chance to talk to him last week after the game. Now, we're in preview mode, which is exactly what we'll do on the other side of this break. Don't go anywhere. Fred Persinger still to come as well. Our final segment of the show here during the 8 o'clock hour. This is the Friday Free-for-All brought to you by Dan Caviteo to Buick GMC. He's Michael Minnick. I'm Alex Wiederspiel. We're back after this. They are going for this here. Stick eye, and I got to think. This is either a bootleg or Shepard here. They're going to go Shepard.
Speaker 13: Off the left side, Shepard barreling his way in, and Shepard Paul has the first points of the new season. South Harrison takes a 6-0 lead, 7-48 to go in the second quarter.
Speaker 1: Time for more high school sports talk on the Dan Cava Toyota Buick GMC Friday Free-for-All.
Speaker 2: This is the Friday Free-for-All brought to you by Dan Caviteo to Buick GMC. And our penultimate segment brings us to North Marion, to Rachel, if you will. And the Huskies 1-0 on the season. Of course, we got a chance to talk with Sean after their victory over East Fairmont a week ago. And the Huskies on the road once again. Not an easy place to play as they head to Preston County. Uh, Preston of course is always kind of a weird quad a school where they're never, they're never great, but they're not exactly the easiest team to play and they're not the easiest place to play. Uh, so this is going to be an interesting challenge. Uh, Alex Wiederspiel here, Michael Minnick with you as well. And Sean McNamara joins us now. Sean, what's up, man?
Speaker 6: Hey, how we doing?
Speaker 2: Fantastic. All right, that's the end of the segment, guys. We're good. I think that's it, right? We don't need to do anything else. Hey, so seriously, what do you make of this? Preston had a, they're coming off a hard-fought loss last week. Lost by five to Hampshire, one of their arch rivals. And that's a game that's most years going to be tied, I think, three out of the last four years. Maybe even going back further than that has been a one-possession game. What do you like about This for North Marion matchup wise, what concerns you?
Speaker 8: So there's a lot going into this one tonight. Weather, weather concerns, potentially playing on natural grass is an issue. North Marion had some fumbles last week, particularly on the snaps. So trying to get that cleaned up, I think it's going to be important. Teams don't play on natural grass very often. It's a beautiful facility up there in Kingwood overlooking the mountains, but that's a big challenge. In the second consecutive week, that service will have been played on. So that raises a little bit of a challenge there. North Marion typically has done pretty well with Preston. 17-8 all-time versus them. They've won 11 in a row by an average margin of victory of 29 points, 41-12. Last year's game, and this won't look quite like last year due to some of the graduations Preston had, but it was a great one last year up in Rachel. There was 80 points combined, 994 yards of offense a year ago when these two teams played. So that was a fun one. And now North Merion comes in with a different looking team than they had last year. You look at Preston and what jumps out to me is they got some size up front right there in the middle, particularly on the defensive end with Hayden Cole and Max Huggins. So I look for Brian Poindexter and the rest of the North Merion offense, try and get to the edges, try and get to the outside because the middle is going to be plugged up. And then for Preston offensively, you got those guys on offense and then um, against Hampshire, saw some good plays out of touchdown out of Rowan Kramer, Rowan Kramer back in 2024, the starting quarterback for East Fairmont. And he competed, completed seven of 18 for 134 against North Marion, uh, a couple of years ago. So a small bit of familiarity there. So both teams familiar with each other. Um, they've played quite a bit. I had that stat somewhere every year since 2002. Um, So two very familiar schools should be a fun one out there tonight.
Speaker 3: Sean, you mentioned the winning streak. North Merion scored 31 or more in all of those games. In order to do that this week, what do they have to do better than they did last week?
Speaker 8: So I think we talked about it last week. I think the big play eluded them against East Fairmont. And North Merion only put up 24. And, you know, you look at that, and that's something that they– got from the newspaper, talked to Coach Hayes about, and he said, well, yeah, last year we only put up 27 against East, and we ended up, you know, going 10-2 on the season. So last year, North Marion won some lower scoring.
Speaker 3: Games that they had.
Speaker 8: I think they picked up two wins where they scored 21 points or less. So getting that big playback and getting back to what's making them what they've been over the last few years is crucial, and I do think it all starts right there. And this slow start in game one offensively leading to better things. Um, the road is kind of a common theme that they've had.
Speaker 2: I think everyone would be happy if we could avoid another round of thunderstorms and lightning delays, but no promises based on the weather forecast for Friday night in West Virginia. It looks like it's certainly a possibility there could be more delays. I would actually imagine, in one respect, as frustrating as it would be, North Marion might be a little better prepared than everybody else in the state to handle that right now, having gone through it a week ago.
Speaker 8: Yeah, having that Thursday game, because there was only a handful of them, yeah, due to the familiarity, I think that it raises such a different challenge when you have those delays, then you factor in your playing on grass. It really does change everything. So I know Coach Hayes and those guys up there are hoping that, they could avoid that for the second straight week.
Speaker 3: Where do you feel like this team has room to grow defensively? Obviously had a shutout last week, but where do you see that they can improve on that side of the ball? You know, it's really tough to say right now. I think that, you know, you look at that East Fairmont game and statistically, they only gave up 96 yards and 52 of them came on a busted play on a boxed punt where Logan Echol for East Fairmont kind of threw it up in the air. and found one of his guys under it. So if you take that away, which you can't because they got it, but you take that away, and they were holding East Fairmont to like a yard of play. And they forced four turnovers, four interceptions. So really tough to say right now.
Speaker 8: I think it's going to continue to see guys get into new roles, especially with some injuries and stuff going on. So, yeah, I think seeing continued growth right now, but nothing stuck out that they can really improve upon. after that East Fairmont game.
Speaker 2: By the way, I did pull up the numbers while we were talking, and you had mentioned, so they've won, what, 11 straight? I think I have them at now against Preston County and the all-time series, which outside of the one game in 1991, all 24 games have been played in the last, you know, 20, 24 years. 17-8 all-time North Merion. Preston had the better of it early in this, and then, yeah, as you pointed out, since that North Merion Never less than 31 points in that stretch. So this has been North Marion's to lose, essentially.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and they've done a good job with taking care of business in those games. And it's a 4A team, so that's obviously important for playoff standings and getting those bonus points there. A couple other oddities from this game. This is the third time in school history North Marion will be opening with three games on the road. which is very, very strange. They did it in 2024, so recently, then not again until 1981. So three consecutive, and this game is a big one. They want to get the win here because then you go to Phillip Barber next week, a team that's given them a hard time in the past. After that, Fairmont Senior, Lincoln, Elkins. Lincoln a big rival. Elkins a really good team. So it gets tough for North Marion, and this game very important tonight.
Speaker 3: 81 and 24 are two pretty good years for North Merion, so it didn't seem like it affected those teams.
Speaker 14: No, no.
Speaker 8: And you're right. Those were good teams. I tried to piece together a good stat from that. In 24, they lost on the road at Princeton in the playoffs. And you look back at 81, they won the title over Fairmont Senior 21-6 down at Wadley Field. So you are correct in that.
Speaker 2: Looking ahead a little bit, obviously the test after this is going to get, we think, significantly more difficult. A lot of us are kind of pegging that Philip Arbor-Grafton game as. Phillip Barber, obviously coming off of one of their best season in program history, beat a much improved Grafton team, even though it was narrow. But I think that says more about Grafton than maybe it does about Phillip Barber. How important is it for North Merion not to get caught looking ahead with that one coming up?
Speaker 8: I think very important. Fortunately for North Merion, I don't think they're particularly happy with how they played against East Fairmont. So I don't think they're in a position where they're doing that. You know, they played good enough to win, and that's not the style of football that they want to play there. So I don't think that that would be a concern. Now, if they had gone out and put up a 50-point win in week one, then, yeah, maybe I could see that. But for right now, I don't think that'll be an issue.
Speaker 3: What do you think is the thing that North Mary needs to get better at as the season goes on to be a second-round semifinal playoff team?
Speaker 8: Getting their players in space. Didn't see it at all against East Fairmont. Didn't get anyone. broken away only a couple double-digit plays. So getting their ball handlers and their skill guys, the ball in space, whether it's Blake Johnson, Jacob Kucic, Brian Poindexter, they got guys that can really make things happen and have that breakaway speed. They're an extremely dynamic team. It's going to be all about getting the guys in the position to make plays.
Speaker 2: Sean, remind folks where they can catch tonight's broadcast if they're interested.
Speaker 8: Huddle TV, search North Marion. You can find the pay-per-view there. And then my broadcast partner, Stephen Harbert, has a YouTube channel. You search his name, Stephen Harbert, and you can find the audio of the broadcast on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Very good.
Speaker 2: We're going to leave you all with a thick six. They got called North Marion, a pick six late in the game. to seal the deal 24-0. Fred Persinger will join us on the other side of this next break.
Speaker 8: Colby VanGilder fires off the side as Echo looks to pass.
Speaker 11: That's a hold.
Speaker 3: Throwback screen.
Speaker 8: This one is intercepted. And returning it down the sidelines, Zach J.D. Baker steps out of a tackle.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 11: And going into the end zone.
Speaker 6: Go get it, big man. It is.
Speaker 11: It is.
Speaker 7: J.D.
Speaker 6: Baker.
Speaker 8: Give him 60 yards on the IND return.
Speaker 1: Time for more high school sports talk on the Dan Cava Toyota Buick GMC Friday Free-for-All.
Speaker 2: As always, we reach our final segment on the Friday Free-for-All, and Fred Persinger is here to join us, the long-running host of High School Game Night. Not as long as I had guessed last week, but hopefully Fred won't hold that against me.
Speaker 14: No, no, no.
Speaker 6: You were close.
Speaker 1: You were close.
Speaker 2: I was close. I was close. As they say, though, that only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. So what good is close? How did it feel to be back behind the mic for year 25? It was good.
Speaker 14: I mean, we had a great show. And, you know, again, I'll say it until there is no show no more, at least not for me, is the fact that it's not me, it's not Dave. It's what we do, and that's high school football and the four– Young men and women that get our scores for us across town and make sure I have them, those are really the winners in game night. So it was a good show, went well, and, you know, won behind us. And we've got, how many more we got? 13 more this year. Not that I'm counting right now. That's why we have them.
Speaker 2: Fred wants to know when he's got his Friday nights free again. Uh, uh, we have, so for the first time, by the way, this is a really nice, obviously, um, you know, Michael Minnick is here with us, my, my new co-host for the Friday free for all. So I know you guys weren't able to connect last week on this segment, but, uh, here now. So, uh, this is the first time the three of us get to do this together and we'll get to go through pretty much the whole state and, and I'll start us off and then we can kind of just go class by class, but why don't we start in quad a, as we kind of traditionally do Fred and, uh, Obviously, game of the week is Spring Mills and Wheeling Park. There are some other intriguing games in Quad A, but I see why that would obviously be near the top of the list.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we could have gone... University of Parkersburg South, I think, can be a really good one. Not sure about Hurricane. I know they lost a lot. They didn't open up last week. This will be their first game of the season. So GW is awfully strong, awfully good. Anytime you can get... two Eastern Panhandle teams going against each other, Washington and Hedgesville. I know both are going to struggle this year a little bit, but sometimes that's where you get your better games. But, again, went with Spring Mills and Wheeling Park. You know, both of them had impressive wins, I thought, last week. So Spring Mills on the road to the Northern Panhandle, and we'll see what happens tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: Only four, again, that has two teams that are 1-0 as well. So that certainly helps with the decision. Is there a team that lost last week that you think is going to have a good year?
Speaker 14: In Quad A?
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 14: Good question. You know, it is tough to tell. It is so early. I thought Parkersburg South is supposed to have a really, really good season. And then, you know, they get beat, but they get beat, you know, by Wheeling Park. And it was a close ball game. So they could still have a good year. Other than that, I think just way too early to tell in Class Quad A. You know, there's only a few, a handful of teams, so it's tough to say. But I think Parkersburg South losing last week, even though, you know, they played a good Wheeling Park team. Well, we'll see what happens with them the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Bridgeport and Martinsburg winds up being the Class AAA game of the week. And, of course, it's an, what is it, intra or inter game? classification i never i never remember which one's the correct one but they're not in the same classification as the is the simple way of putting it but it is the class triple a game of the weekend and we've talked about it obviously a lot we had travis jones we had chris george on the show today and i think the the thing that i i still love about this is that it is this does feel kind of perfect for the fans as long as nobody gets as long as there are no like season defining in in a game like this, this is the type of game you actually really live for as a neutral fan, because there's not really like a ton at stake. And yet there also is a ton at stake at the same time, because these are teams in particular Bridgeport. This is a, they are trying to test themselves. They're trying to battle ready themselves in a game that ultimately won't have, a ton of impact long-term on sort of the playoff ratings. It'll help them on strength of schedule. But this is helpful for them when they get to playoff time.
Speaker 14: I think it's going to be helpful for both teams. Honestly, I talked with Dave Walker this past Wednesday night and Tyler Ferris on High School Sportsline, and both agree, this early in the season, if you can play a quality opponent... That's going to test you, and I think Bridgeport will test Martinsburg. Certainly Martinsburg will test Bridgeport. But find out what you have early so you can work on it and get it taken care of before you get to the playoffs when the games really count. Bridgeport has to hope for some long, sustained drives, in my opinion. I think that will be the key for them because Martinsburg is such a quick-strike offense. And they have so many weapons. Tyler Ferris was saying he thought they were a lot like them. I'm not sure I agree with Tyler on that. I just think for Bridgeport to make this a game, a close game. They've had close games before. They've played five times. This is only the second time they've played in the regular season. This will be the fifth time they've played. And certainly Martinsburg has the edge. They only... Bridgeport's only won one time, and that was 25-12 back in 1952 or something like that, something way long ago. But anyway, I think both teams will be tested. I think Bridgeport has to control the ball as long as they can with those sustained drives they're so famous for. And like I said, Martinsburg, they've got so many outside weapons that they can get the ball to, and when they do that, they usually score quickly. So see how it goes. I think it's going to be really, though, a great, great football game.
Speaker 3: Fred, I was surprised looking into this series that the winning team, the most points they've ever scored is 31. So that sounds like the kind of game Bridgeport wants to play where it's going to be a little bit more low scoring. Do you think that will happen again, that the winning team will have less than 31?
Speaker 14: I think it's a good chance, Michael. Again, if Bridgeport can control the ball and get some sustained drives, then yeah, what they cannot do is they can't go three and outs four or five times martin's word will score on you i mean there's no doubt about that and i think right now and talking with dave walker on wednesday night he feels so good about that defense secondary that he's probably going to play eight nine maybe even ten on the box and just keeping stop that bruising run attack that bridgeport so famous for if martin's birds defense can come to play like we've seen them play in the past then it may not be as close a ball game as I'm hoping for. But I still think both teams are total quality teams. Both of them are. And this may be, whoever loses this game, let's be fair, whoever loses this game, let's say it's Bridgeport. Say Bridgeport gets beat. That may be the only loss they have this regular season. Martinsburg, boy, they've got a tough schedule. They've got a schedule. They've got some teams coming up. They've got a team from Canisius, New York, coming up. They play a team from Ontario, Canada, coming up. So, I mean, they play a heck of a schedule just because they can't get anyone else in West Virginia to play them. Kudos to Tyler Ferris. He was the one that made the call to Martinsburg saying, hey, we need a game. Let's play. And Dave Walker said, yes, let's play. He was ready for it.
Speaker 2: I'm, uh, I'm kind of, I'm kind of curious, you know, Mike mentioning the, the, the points is funny. Cause you know, once upon a time we'd be talking about 31 and we'd be considering that, you know, a high scoring, high scoring game. And, and I wonder how much sticker shock there were. There were a couple of scores like this, but the, the 67, where's it?
Speaker 12: 68.
Speaker 2: No, I think it was 67. Nothing lost for nitro last week. You know, the score itself is one thing, but how lopsided, how much sticker shock for you around a team that obviously went on a deep run a year ago?
Speaker 14: Well, what you have to remind yourself, though, they lost everyone. I mean, they had a bunch of transfers that came in that were all seniors. They all left at one time. They lost 15 seniors. Boone McKinney did. Not only did they lose that, they lost Boone McKinney as he retired. So they've got a brand-new coach. They've got a brand-new team. I did not know how strong Donnie Mays at South Charleston would be. Obviously, he's got a pretty solid ball club. I mean, any time you put 67 points on, and they did have a running clock in the second half. And it was eight-minute quarters, by the way, in addition to being a running clock. So any time you can do that in that shortened amount of time, that's very, very impressive. I think, though, Nitro is just going to be very, very weak this year just because of what they lost and what they went through. But, hey, remember last Friday night, Martinsburg outscored Hedgesville 74-0. We had some runaways last week. Bridgeport won 68-0. So there were a few blowouts last week.
Speaker 3: We talked just now about South Charleston. Really intriguing game, I think, for them this week going to Chapmanville. What do you make of that one?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I agree with you, Mike. We talked with Zach Belcher on Wednesday night as well, and he's very, very much aware of what South Charleston can do. But I'll tell you, Chapmanville is a good ball club. Make no mistake. I think Chapmanville... can be very good again this year. They'd love to take it one step further than they did last year, but Chapmanville is solid. They've got a program all of a sudden, and I think South Charleston, we'll find out more about South Charleston tonight against Chapmanville than we did last week, that's for certain.
Speaker 2: Princeton and Bluefield is the Metro News Class AA game of the week, and I feel like, honestly, that may have been sort of the choice choice running away at this point, and Bluefield only lost last week by a touchdown to the G-men of Graham, Virginia. Now, it's another one of these non- or intra-classification games. I've got to make sure I'm saying that correctly.
Speaker 14: You're going to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to look this up while you answer. But Bluefield-Princeton, give me some of your thoughts on this one.
Speaker 14: Well, let's take Princeton, for example. There's Nathan Tanner, came over from Parkersburg South, head coach now. He's not lost since he's been at Princeton. Went 14-0 last year, won a state championship, and he's 1-0 this season. Going to get tested. Going to get tested at Mitchell Stadium tonight against the Bluefield Beavers. No doubt about it. Bluefield, that rival game against Graham, you have no idea which way it's going to go. I did not expect it to be as high-scoring a fair as it was, and I thought Bluefield would win. But as you mentioned, they got beat barely by the G-men. Bluefield, to me, is as good a team as we're going to see tonight. in Class AA this year. I promise you that. Just because of the fact they were in the championship game last year, they lost in the last few seconds to Frankfurt on that trick play that Kevin Whiteman ran to perfection with the halfback pass. Bluefield, though, had a lot coming back. I said for the first time in a long time, I saw a pregame interview with with Freddie Simon at Bluefield. He looked giddy to me. He was so happy about the kids he had back and the talent he's got back. They've got a couple of new assistant coaches on the staff now. So I thought they were ready to go, and I'm sure they are. They just ran into a very good, obviously very good, Graham G-man team. I think that's going to be a really, really good ball game coming up down at Mitchell Stadium tonight between Princeton and Bluefield. I'm not sure that Nathan Tanner doesn't get his first loss as a head coach at Princeton.
Speaker 3: Independence, I think, is going to be tough to get a read on this year because of the out-of-state games they play to begin the year. What do you make of that team so far, a team that's been near the top in that classification for several years?
Speaker 14: John H. Lilly, he's done a great job. He really has. He's got a program going now. Kids want to play. They've got a very good theater school in the middle school that they have there in Cole City. Going to Charlotte, North Carolina tonight to play a team that, by the way, had a really away game last week. This Ambassador Christian Academy, they played in Dublin, Ireland last week. Dublin, Ireland. I mean, you talk about jet lag, and John, I sure hope they still have some of that jet lag because they've got three guys that are already signed to Division I schools. They're legit. It's a private academy team. They're good, no doubt about it. And they beat a team from Texas last week in Dublin, Ireland in one of those games. you know, showcase types of things they do over there. So, but I think John Lilley is going to be good, but is he going to be, is he going to get beat up? And I think that's the one thing you got to be concerned about. They played the team from Armstrong, Pennsylvania last week. One, they trailed 21 to seven in the fourth quarter and scored 21 points in the fourth quarter to come back and win that game. Now that says something about that ball club, but out of the frying pan into the fire and you got to travel all the way to Charlotte, North Carolina. and play a very, very good team tonight. So it'll be interesting to see how they hold up against this Ambassador Christian team, and we'll go from there. They've still got a couple. How about this? Nine games is all he has. Seven of them are on the road. They play their last home game of the season October 2nd. They'll have homecoming and senior night the same night.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's unfortunate. Hey, uh pendleton county east hardy it's our metro news class single a game of the week both these teams won a week ago pendleton county really nice win uh over petersburg east hardy blew out madonna um these are two really good teams uh and uh i i think you're in for a good one potentially with this no no doubt.
Speaker 14: They always play well when they meet each other it's two quality programs in single a and That's why we chose it as our single-A game of the week. Early in the season again, I like to see these types of games played early in the season, find out what you've got, and I think both teams will be better after the game tonight, regardless of who wins or loses. They'll be better because quality opponents make you better.
Speaker 3: Oconis County getting an impressive win over Tuckery last week. They'll play a Meadow Bridge team that also won last week. That's an interesting kind of under-the-radar single-A game to me.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that kind of surprised me too with Tucker, you know, getting beat last week by Pocahontas County. That doesn't happen that often. I mean, they got beat by 15, 31-16, and it was at Tucker County. So Tucker's got to prove are they going to be a team that, you know, always, always close into the playoffs. They don't go too far, but they're usually right around there. But Tigers Valley should be a win for them. We'll see. It's going to be interesting. You know, Tigers Valley is a ball club that has struggled hard heavily over the last few years, and we'll see if Tucker can bounce back, and they have to because we've got East Hardy coming up next week, so this is a win they really need to get over Tigers.
Speaker 2: Fred, go ahead and remind folks where they can catch high school game night tonight.
Speaker 14: All over the state, and the radio station just down the street from you, I promise, especially you. We're very fortunate. We've got 51 radio stations around the state to carry the show, plus we're live on YouTube and on our Facebook page and on Metro News Television. So if you want to find us, we're there.
Speaker 2: Including this station right here. There you go. When the Bridgeport-Martinsburg game ends, folks, don't go anywhere. You'll hear Fred and Dave. Fred, always appreciate it, man.
Speaker 14: Thank you, guys. Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Well, that'll just about wrap it up for the Friday Free-for-All. Now, I will say, if you're looking for some bonus content, I have good news for you. We'll have a little bit of that coming your way. Chris George, going to hang around, talk a little extra football content during the nine o'clock hour. And you can also catch that in the podcast form. And I have to apologize. I may have accidentally loaded that in the morning spiel last week instead of in the correct spot. So the extra content about Tucker and Elkins and some of those Mountain County schools, I might've put it in the wrong spot last week. That's on me. That won't happen again. Mike, it's exciting. I just hope We stay dry tonight. Actually, I don't even care about staying dry. Let's avoid the lightning. That's my preference.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: Don't get struck by lightning. Always a good suggestion and maxim to live by, but hopefully we can stay out of there today. And again, I think with a lot of kind of intra-regional games going on tonight, we really want to make sure that weather's good because it can be harder to finish these on a Saturday or make them up later.
Speaker 2: Most important thing Bridgeport can accomplish tonight in your mind?
Speaker 3: I do feel like ball control is big, but at the same time, Gavin Williams is someone who can break some runs. So if you can get a 30, 40-yard touchdown run from Gavin Williams and get a lead, I think that's important. And again, I think Bridgeport has been close with Martinsburg, but they've also had to chase them. So if they can get the lead early and make Martinsburg kind of come to them, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to see them stay healthy. It's pretty much the only thing that I think matters. Don't get blown out and stay healthy. And I'm sure they have higher expectations than that. I'm just thinking about it. I'm a media guy, so I get to have the easy takes. All right, folks. We'll see you all next week for more of the main show. Again, if you want to stick around for the bonus content, that'll come up during the 9 o'clock hour. But the primary show is over. Friday Free For All is brought to you by Dan Cava, Toyota Buick, GMC.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Dan Cava Toyota Buick GMC Friday Free-for-All. Be sure to tune in every Friday as we review and preview local high school sports. This has been a special presentation of WVRC Media and 103.3 WKMZ. Now, back to the morning spiel. Brought to you by Royal Water on WKMZ.
Speaker 2: This is the Morning Spiel presented by Royal Water Treatment, 103.3 WKMZ. But this is also our Friday Free-for-All bonus segment. Michael Minnick is still with us from the Friday Free-for-All. Chris George is back with us from, of course, all many WKMZ contributions, including Bridgeport football and this show. Let's talk, guys. First of all, and Mike, maybe I'll start you off with this. Is there anything else we want to get out on Bridgeport before we kind of open up to the rest of where we wanted to hit with Chris?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we talked about it a little bit with Fred Persinger, but these two teams are explosive offenses over the years, but their matchups have been low-scoring games. And I think we're going to– if it's a low-scoring game, I think that favors Bridgeport. I don't think they're going to win a 42-35 shootout. They could win a 21-14 game. I think that's much more the pace and score that they want in this game.
Speaker 4: Very good points, and I'm afraid that they might be a little bit in between both. I really do. As crazy as that sounds, I think if this game was played week eight or week nine, it might be an offensive shootout. I really do, because I think both offenses will be so much better by year's end. But Bridgeport's defense, I will say this, and this is something we haven't talked a ton about, but it's been mentioned before. Bridgeport plays in a lot of 7-on-7 tournaments during the summer. Well, they went to Columbus and finished in the top five up there. They went to WVU, and they won the 7-on-7 tournament there. And they get in these 7-on-7 tournaments not because– They're going to throw the ball 30 or 40 times a year. That may give everybody a heart attack, but it's for their defense, and it's how they want to cover spread teams because they know being in AAA and playing some quad A schools, you're going to play a ton of spread offenses every single year, and they do. So this gets them a little bit of an advantage by playing these 707 terms against some of the best skill in the state and some of the states surrounding West Virginia as well. They play these. to give their corners and safeties and you just give them the ball skills they need to be able to cover the pass. So they've done a good job. And the last time they were really good in the seven on seven tournaments was the year they won the state championship a couple of years ago when they had Alex Moses and Jack Spada for in the corners. Now this year, you know, you got Carson Bastien, very inexperienced, but he's getting his feet wet and he's very athletic. Then on the other side, you got Graham Benson who's improved a ton. And then of course your safeties, as we know, Gavin Williams and Aiden Gorby. So yeah, I think those 7-on-7 tournaments, I think the talent they saw in the summer is going to benefit them extremely well tonight. However, what's it going to be up front? Are they going to be able to get some pressure on Brian Dick to force him to be just a little bit uncomfortable? I think if Bridgeport wins this game tonight, they have to win the turnover battle. They've got to find a way to create maybe an extra possession or two. They cannot lose the turnover battle. If Bridgeport loses the turnover battle tonight, bad things can happen. The last time they did was when they played Chapmanville, so huge game tonight i think it'll be fun i think both teams will benefit greatly from this game i think both teams will be a much better team next week after this game i will say this whoever wins this game it's going to help them there's no doubt but whoever loses this game is going to help them as well this is not going to be a bad loss no matter who loses tonight.
Speaker 2: Uh let's jump around a little bit and we'll hit some of the power rankings as well but i i still want to hit uh as many teams as we can and uh you know typically we would start in the mountain counties let's start a little bit further west this time. I think Mike and I both agreed we were a little surprised at how Dodgeridge County was handled by Roan County. That was never going to be an easy trip, but Dodgeridge County, we talked about how they are a program. It's a team that we regularly have high expectations for, and they got quite the test in week one, and they obviously are going to have some work to do.
Speaker 11: They're going to have.
Speaker 4: Some work to do, and it's a program. There's no doubt. I think there's definitely a lot of talent they lost a year ago, some via the transfer portal. We know BYU One of their players went to Morgantown. We've discussed that. And I was tipped off back in the summer from Jeff Thompson, who is the assistant coach for Parkersburg Post 15. He's a Rome County native, and he still lives in Rome County. He told me that they have a pretty good football team coming up this year, and he's right. I mean, so far, so good. This program at Rome County has really been developing the last four to five years, guys, and it's been really something to see. It's really been ever since the young man died. you know, at Rowan County about five or six years ago, that program has just gotten better and better. They're getting good athletes out and they're developing them in the weight room. So I think in years in, I think Dobridge County will look at this loss and be like, well, you know what? That was a good loss. That doesn't hurt us. But then again, they're going to have to go out here this week and in the week after and figure out how to win some games going forward. I think they will. I think both those teams are playoff teams. And I wasn't surprised. I actually picked Rowan County to win. But then again, I was surprised Because it did happen. So I think this Dodgers County team will eventually be okay when they get some experience and get everybody going on the same page.
Speaker 3: First time in a decade they've been held to single digits offensively in back-to-back games. This tells you how long ago it was. The two teams that did it were Gilmore County and Ravenswood. It's been a while since Ravenswood's been good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, think about that. That's how far this Doddridge County's program has come. So we mentioned Roan County and how well their program's been. Well, let's look at Doddridge County. Ever since the oil and gas became big in that part of the state, the team's gotten good. The population has increased. The school's gotten bigger. They're a double-A size school, but they have a program. You know, Bobby Burnside, And all the great coaches there have done a great job over the past 10 to 15 years, developing this, you know, football program into a power. And I think they're here to stay. In fact, you know, I won't be a bit surprised. You know, we've talked about it. Preston could possibly leave the big 10. It's it's on the docket. It's it's potential there. And if they would leave the big 10 and join the Potomac Valley conference, I think Dobridge County would be a natural for the big 10 conference in the future, just because the school's growing and they're being so successful in a bunch of sports. Now, I'm throwing stuff out there that is not any rumors behind it. It's just me saying that. I have nothing to base it on. It's just something that I think going forward, I think this program at Doddbridge is going to elevate itself to that point where it could be either in a Big Ten or a solid AA program year.
Speaker 2: In and year out. Chris, no one's ever gone wrong with a little speculation. I like I like a little speculation. I like I call this this is informed speculation. I you're you're not you're not pulling this out of thin air. You're you're connecting dots. And I think that's completely, completely fair. And so just so folks are clear, we have no idea if that's going to happen. But I do think Chris is Chris is, I would say, an expert. expert level on the subject, and it's worth listening to him when he says stuff like this.
Speaker 4: I will tell you this. It is factual that Preston is considering leaving the Big Ten Conference and going to the Eastern Panhandle and joining the Potomac Valley Conference. That is very, very possible, and it could happen sooner rather than later. In fact, they're doing some discussions about it. They're sending out surveys within the athletic program, and don't be surprised if that doesn't happen next year or maybe the year after or Maybe there's a chance it won't happen, but I think Preston leaving the Big Ten could be more of a reality than what some people think.
Speaker 3: We'll have to talk more about this at a later date, but if people think the OVC is a loosely affiliated conference, they haven't seen the PBC.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, I think that would be a mistake for Preston.
Speaker 4: I do, too, because you and I both know how good that conference is. Even the small schools in that league are very good. East Hardy, good every year. Warfield, very competitive. We'll talk about them and Elkins in a little bit, I'm sure. Frankfurt, well, all they do is win, and they win at everything. They've even figured out basketball at Frankfurt last year. So, yeah, we know Kaiser, what they've done in the past. So, yeah, I'm not sure that's a good idea either. I agree with you. I think the travel will increase, and I think the win column might decrease. So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about– let's go to single A. We're going to bounce around a fair bit here, but I want to talk about Tucker County. I know when we talked with Fred, he was a little surprised by the way that went down. And if we had had more time, I would have mentioned to him, you know, our guy Chris George said that they could have some trouble, particularly early in the season. They've got a lot that they've got to kind of replace from last year. And lo and behold, they fell by, what was it, a 15-point margin in their first loss of the season. So some work to do for A.J. Rapp, who is an excellent coach, but he does have some work ahead of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he just slacks numbers this year, guys. I mean, 25 kids and two of his best players at receiver one. did not come out this year. He decided to play golf in Caden Arnold, and then the Barb kid, Lucas Barb, decided not to play. He came out for the first few days and decided not to play. So even if those two kids had played, it was going to be a struggle because they just lacked so much up front because they lost so much talent to last, not just last year, but the year before, and kind of saw this coming, guys, you know, and this is life of a single-A program, right? There's very few single-A programs out there that win 10, 11, 15 years in a row. Tucker County's done an unbelievable job winning as much as they can, but they sometimes have peaks and valleys, and unfortunately this is a valley, and this might be a little bit below sea level valley this year. I think they got a golden opportunity to get a win tonight against Tigards Valley. I think they can pull this out, but after tonight, wins might be fewer and far between. They'll take anything away from A.J.
Speaker 5: Rapp.
Speaker 4: What he has done there has been tremendous. He's a heck of a ball coach. I know him personally. I consider him a good friend. And I know darn well he'll get that program going in the right direction again soon. I guarantee you the other thing, this Tucker Kane team, Branson and I are a good quarterback. I like him. I think that's something to build on there. They've got some freshmen that skill positions. Coach Rapp's son is a senior. He's a heavy, strong running back that runs a power. So I think this team's going to get better as the year goes on. But here's the problem. They can't afford any injuries, guys. You know what it's like to have 25 football players. You've got kids going both ways. You start losing three or four kids, and it really becomes tough. So, yeah, it's going to be a tough year. It didn't surprise me. I think Pocahontas County is going to be a better team. They've shown they've got some athletes. I heard that they've got some decent young kids coming. And, boy, it showed. It's been a good win for Pocahontas last week. And Tucker County, Tigers Valley tonight, don't know who's going to win, but Tucker's got a chance to battle back here and get their first win of the year.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Danny, back to last year, Pocahontas won three in a row and that hasn't happened in a long time. So there's gotta be some enthusiasm in their program. 2017 was the last time they won three.
Speaker 7: In a row.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's back when they made some playoff appearances and, you know, they got a beverage and anytime there's a beverage playing for Pocahontas, good things happen. That name over in Pocahontas County and all sports has been notorious to have good athletes.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 4: He's related to all the great beverage players from the past. And, uh, That's just one of a few good athletes they got there. So maybe Pocahontas can find a way to scratch across some four or five wins this year. Maybe they can move into the playoff picture. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Elkins. Obviously, last week, I think between the Jaden Hatfield injury and Lincoln, I think most of us agree Lincoln is going to be better. And even if they're not better, they're going to be pesky. which they clearly were last week. But so on the one hand, I'm like a little concerned if I'm Elkins and you're at home and Lincoln plays it as close as they did. On the other hand, you're minus a player. Lincoln's always pesky. They, they pester everybody in the big 10, except for Bridgeport. I, I, I don't hate that performance for Lincoln, but I kind of want to know your take on it from the Elkins perspective.
Speaker 4: Elkins is, For the first time in a situation they're not used to, and that's playing with a target on their back and playing with heavy expectations. And I noticed Chad Ware, you know, the wonderful coach at Elkins, another personal friend of mine. I've known Chad all my life. Great family, good coach, good person. He knows that they've got a target on their back. He knows that expectations are high, and he thinks they're too high for the community. You know, and that was a 14-14 game at the half. That was a close game going into the fourth quarter. And, you know, he feels like from some of the, you know, viewers in the area that that was a disappointing win. And he's trying to explain to people that, look, it's a week one win. Nothing is disappointing in football when you win a game. Lincoln is capable and they showed that. However, Elkins has got that target on their back. So that's something they're going to have to play with this year. It's going to be the pressure is there. I didn't think they handled it well, especially in the first half. And when I was told last week, it was a sloppy first half. you know, something that they can't play with because they have to have, for Elkins to be successful offensively, they've got to be executing on all cylinders. I think they'll get better from this. But they're going to have a tough time tonight at Moorfield. A lot of people may laugh at that comment, but Moorfield is an improved football team. They gave Frankfurt some fits last week. This is a physical Moorfield team, probably more so than what they played in Lincoln last week. However, Lincoln throws the football much better than what this Moorfield team does, and that's where Lincoln was able to Really attacked us. Elkins' defense was in the air. But Elkins did give up some running yards last week. So this game at Moorfield, their backup quarterback, Cyrus Kump, who transferred to Elkins, returns. I'm sure they're looking forward to that. Keep an eye on this game on the scoreboard tonight. Moorfield-Elkins. This might be similar to last week's game. Elkins may win this in the second half going away late. But we'll keep an eye on this one. This could be closer than what the experts think.
Speaker 3: Grass field, if it rains, too, that could really be an equalizer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that could hurt the speed. I know last week Elkins suffered some injuries at the running back position, Tony Sylvester, who was backing up Jaden Hatfield, who was hurt, and Sylvester got shaken up last week. Not sure of his status tonight. Seth Robinson, though, well, if it is a muddy field, he's the guy to hand it to. He's a power back. He ran for over 300 yards last week, but this is a different Moorfield team. They're physical. This Moorfield team last year was young and they struggled, but they held Elkins to 10 first half points last year at Elkins. Keep an eye on this one. Would not be surprised if we see an upset here. It would not be surprised to see a score similar to last week where Elkins pulls away late. But this should be a fun one to watch.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about the power rankings. You're obviously a voter. I'm kind of curious, how did the Grafton-Philip Barber game affect your opinion of Philip Barber?
Speaker 4: It didn't affect it at all. I got to see some Philip Barber film in the preseason. I think Landon Carpenter is a really good running back. There's no doubt about that. He's a great athlete, good kid, good family. You won't find a better person or a better family. But Phillip Barber up front is not what they were a year ago. And also the wide receiver position. While Tristan Price isn't bad, he's a good receiver. I think he'll get better. But they don't have the talent at wide receiver like they had a year ago. And up front, they're a little bit young than what they were a year ago. So I think that showed a little bit last week in the Grafton game. Grafton had that thing won. All they had to do is hand the football off and they win the game. But it didn't happen. But let's give Phillip Barber some credit, man. The way they drove down the field and kicked the winning field goal, Robbie Jones completed some very tough passes in that drive. He also scrambled his way to get some first downs as well. This Phillip Barber offense is going to get better and better. And I think they might have to outscore some teams this year to get some victories. But this Phillip Barber team, it didn't change my opinion on them. But Grafton, it changed my opinion on them a little bit. I think Grafton's going to be much better. Bobby Beltner, I know he's all about discipline, and they're going to get back to more of that Grafton hard-nosed football. Boy, did we see that on display last week. I like Chase Kinsey. I saw him this summer play baseball for Bridgeport. He's a Flemington kid. I joked around with him in the dugout. I said, you know, you could easily transfer to Bridgeport. You live closer to Bridgeport than you do Grafton. I was only joking. I wasn't being serious. But good kid, good quarterback that can run. He's tough. He completed some very tough passes in that game. One where he was scrambling to his left and just kind of threw a little pop pass in the end zone and was caught for a touchdown. So I think this Grafton team, boys, is going to be much better than what people thought this year. I like the Bearcats. I like where the program's going.
Speaker 3: And I think, too, the schedule. So with Grafton playing like they did last week, they're going to win probably two or three of these first five games.
Speaker 4: Totally agree. Totally agree. And that young Grafton team last year has gotten a year older. And there's some good athletes there. We mentioned Chase Kinsey. There's others. And again, Bobby Beltner, he knows old school Grafton football. He understands old school Grafton football under Mike Skinner. He's trying to bring that back to the program. He understands you can't do it all in one year, but this is a much better Grafton team than 365 days ago.
Speaker 2: For sure. There's no question about it. I think they proved that pretty clearly in that in that performance. Looking at some of the other some of the other rankings, I'm not sure where my hold on my tab. There we go. I was trying to figure out my power rankings tab disappeared, too. I want to go over to Class AAA. And right now, Bridgeport, Princeton, Herbert Hoover, your three first place to your three teams receiving first place votes in AAA. First things first. Do you think, and I know, again, the power rankings, it's all semantics, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Does Bridgeport with a loss, if it's a, I'm going to put this in air quotes, a good loss, do they have a shot at maintaining that top spot?
Speaker 4: In the SSAC poll, once it comes out after week three, I think there's an opportunity. As far as the Metro poll, I don't know. It's a good question. I think there's a good chance. We've got a lot of good people voting this poll, and they understand that losing to Martinsburg is a good loss. However, it's how you lose the game. If Bridgeport goes out there and loses by three or four touchdowns, yes, it will affect the poll. If they go out there and lose by a touchdown or two touchdowns, I don't think it will affect it all whatsoever. I think they'll look at that and say, okay, for those voting, I'm still number one team. But I hate voting in the poll this early.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 4: I don't like it because you just don't know who the top teams are.
Speaker 6: I do know this.
Speaker 4: Princeton is good again. Herbert Hoover is improved. I think they're good. How good? I don't know. Hoover's got a big game with Winfield coming up. Princeton, we all know what they've got coming up with South Charleston. Not South Charleston, that's Chapmanville because I think Chapmanville is a pretty good team too. Princeton, we know what they've got coming up with their schedule. All in all, I think it's going to be interesting, but I will say this. If Bridgeport does end up losing this game tonight, They can't afford to lose very many more games because there's going to be a lot of teams. I think AAA could be top-heavy this year, guys, which means I think when this is all said and done, you're going to see a lot of 10-0, 9-1, 8-2 type teams, and it's going to come down to strength of schedule and bonus points and all that to filter things out. So I think if you're in that group of teams you mentioned, plus a Chapmanville, plus a South Charleston, plus whomever, I think you better win as many games as you can and see where the chips fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Princeton plays Bluefield this week. So we could have an 0-2 Bluefield. We have an 0-2 Fairmont Senior. And we're going to have either a 1-1 Bridgeboro or a 1-1 Martinsburg.
Speaker 4: And how about Bluefield, man? I mean, we know they're going to be good this year. They lost a rival game to Grand Virginia late in that contest. It wouldn't surprise me if Bluefield doesn't shock Princeton tonight. I think Princeton wins the game, but it wouldn't surprise me. You're right. I mean, that Bluefield team, similar to Fairmont Senior being 0-2, who would have thought that? You know, I didn't. I wouldn't have thought Fairmont Senior would have been 0-2 after losing to Bird there at the buzzer pretty much last night and then Bluefield. But then again, when you're Bluefield and you play Graham and Princeton back-to-back, whoever's doing that schedule needs to change some things around because I don't think the coaching staff at Bluefield really likes that schedule. In games week one and week two.
Speaker 2: Let's talk for a second about Fairmont Senior, by the way, just because we... I'm like, yeah, last night, it's not a bad loss to RCB, especially under the conditions, everything that happened. But what was more shocking for you? The fact that Fairmont Senior lost as badly as they did to Herbert Hoover or Herbert Hoover winning by the way that they did?
Speaker 4: Probably Herbert Hoover winning the way they did. I thought Herbert Hoover was the better team last week. I didn't see 49-3. Just didn't see that because I know Anthony Smith's a very good quarterback. I know Fairmont Senior has enough players back. That 48-3 probably shouldn't have happened, but it did. I thought Fairmont Senior had a golden opportunity to bounce back last night and get the win. They had it all but one. But let's credit Robert C.
Speaker 8: Bird.
Speaker 4: They made the play at the end when Junior Smith found a way to– it had fun for a game winning touchdown pass on trick play on fourth and five at the 35 yard line. So bird gets the credit too. I think, um, that program is doing better early in the year than what many thought. I thought bird had a chance to, to end up being to a notice because of the type of skill they have. Fair. My senior though, at Owen too, I am surprised guys. I will admit, I am a little surprised. I thought they would be one at one at this point, but, uh, It doesn't seem like things are clicking right now in Fairmont. I think they'll figure it out. There's a lot of talented players there at Fairmont Senior, but I will say this. Guys are playing roles that they've never played before, starters at the varsity level, and there's some new guys that's mixed in. They also lost a couple transfers this year that would have helped them. All in all, Fairmont Senior might just be a team that needs to figure out their chemistry and just get the thing going in motion before they can make a run here, but it's going to be tough. It will be tough.
Speaker 3: Not saying that they can do that this year, but I mean, they want to see title 16 seed. So get, get in and anything can happen.
Speaker 14: It's funny.
Speaker 3: They actually played blue field in mid October. So that, that could be a game where one of those teams is trying to stay away from a third or fourth loss.
Speaker 4: If that would happen this year, that means the top heavy triple a would be a total disaster, but Hey, you just never know how these football seasons are going to go. You know, and I know one thing, we talked about the teams we think are sitting at the top of AAA right now. These coaches know that, Hey, we can't worry about that. We need to worry about this week's game. We got to worry about week three, week four, week five, because they know that the pressure's on for them to go out there and succeed and fulfill expectations. So this is going to be interesting to see how this goes. I think we're starting to get some questions answered as we move into week two tonight and then week three next week. But, uh, I will say this, you know, it comes down to the weather here tonight. So hopefully the weather is good throughout the state because I have a feeling as a player and as a coach, you know, last night at Fairmont senior bird game, the two hour rain delay late in the fourth quarter, no coach, no player, no administrator, no anybody wants to see that happen. And, and, and, but unfortunately you're, you're dealt with that. You got to go out there and play the game. So that's exactly what happened. Credit bird. And they found a way to get to win.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very good. We'll leave it there. Chris, much appreciated for hanging out and coming back for a bonus segment. We we love having you and we love talking to you and picking your brain on all things high school football folks. That'll do it for the Friday free for all today for real this time. So the the main show, of course, runs seven oh six to nine. We typically like to run a bonus segment during the morning spiel during the nine o'clock hour. So basically three hours of high school football, give or take. You know, we I like to throw the news and weather headlines in there as well. Chris, we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 4: Take care, guys.
Speaker 2: Mike, we'll see you as well next week and we'll take a break.