Speaker 1: Pasha, this is the seventy seven WABC Mini cast. Let's go back to Alice in Ohio. Alice, thank you for your patients, and you're right. This woman is troubling. And what scares me, Alice, is how many more are like this woman? She went from, she said, super patriotic, a woman growing up in a patriotic household, to somehow becoming radicalized and willing to carry out a very serious plot that she was damned and determined to try to do. That's scary, It is scary.
Speaker 2: You read my mind. Where are the people on the right, Independence and Republicans? Why can't we talk back to people like this man? The words that he used made my blood run cold, the hate he has for this country and all of us. Why can't people see through it? Why are we not talking back to be like that? That woman deserves the firing squad. This is treason. In twenty years, that's that's too little time. If they put her in jail, then they need to put her in solitary. Social code nuts even nuttier than she is now.
Speaker 1: You know the problem is, and you know the problem is, it's attempted planning. Because obviously, thank goodness, we didn't want her to carry out the act, so obviously you want to stop her obviously prior to, but also have enough to make the case against her. It's that balance, which clearly it sounds. You know, obviously everybody's innocent until proven guilty. But it sure seems like they've got a lot of information on her, and they have a lot of her tapes and a lot of her comments. But I agree with you, you know, the other thing that needs to be found, Alice, is who was inspiring her, Who was planning this, who was plotting this, Who's radicalizing her? Who's how is she finding these sites online to get radicalized? Was there a hand that was bringing her there? Was there something? I just think there's a lot more to the story that we need to know. Is there some sort of chain or group of people that are getting radicalized or that are coming through some particular means. Was she just kind of looking Was she like a lonely, you know, person sitting in her basement and then suddenly somewhat upon an isis website. I don't know. I think there's more to the story. What do you think, Alice?
Speaker 2: I think you're right because I was thinking of the same thing with someone romancing her. Have you heard the way some of these uh, these people from the Middle East speak, is this very flowery language. Yes, with they romancing her and then they and then they drew her in. This is something. Something smells, Yeah, something.
Speaker 1: Smells like like how did she first have the encounter? You know what I mean? Was that, like you said, was it? You know, I thought about that too. Was it a guy a love interest or was it or was it somebody at some group who said, hey, you know you take a look at this a colleague gora. I mean, there's a lot of weird things going on here that you don't just suddenly say, hey, can you took a look at this isis website? And then you're ready to blow up a building.
Speaker 2: She was an easy target, I think, and this might have hit at just the right point in her life when she was lonely. Someone knew how to approach her, and they just worked and worked and worked until they finally got her. And you know, I hope she gets everything she deserves, you know, Rita, I've been in parts of this world that are creepy, and you just feel scared just to be where.
Speaker 1: You are now. Alice, you were a flight attendant, right, And I'll tell you I've been in some crazy places as a journalist. But I want to hear about your experiences. Where did you Where did you go? What part of the world did you go where you felt uncomfortable? What was some of the scared I.
Speaker 2: Think one of the creepiest places I've ever been in Morocco. There's just something there, you know. And this was many years ago, Alice.
Speaker 1: I've been.
Speaker 2: I've been.
Speaker 1: I've been to Syria. I've been. I've been in some.
Speaker 2: Crazy I haven't been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Morocco looked. Morocco actually to me, look like Disney World compared to Syria.
Speaker 2: Well, I haven't been to Syria.
Speaker 1: Another place, I'm in Afghanistan, Alice, that was not a I have been. I've been in the remote regions of Afghanistan. If you if you think you know, if you think there's a god looking over you, that's the time you call his name.
Speaker 2: Well, you've been in war zones. I haven't been in war zones. But these are places that I would go on my free time. I could hardly wait to get out of there. There's some places just to go if you're just traveling the bizarre in Cairo. It's been in the same place for thousands of Khali Bazaar I.
Speaker 1: Know it well. The Khali Bazars are great bazaarre.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's creepy. I was symbol where you have all that's it's called Upper Egypt. Okay, that's a creepy place. I think it's probably improved, but you have to remember, I'm eighty four years old. I was doing this maybe you know, thirty years and forty years ago, and there wasn't a lot of improvements in these places. But there's some places that's just creepy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and many of the places very you know, third world. And I by the way, Alice, you you were certainly there ahead of me. And I will say, how courageous of you as as a woman going to those spots you were. I remember you telling me that you worked with the airlines and did the airlines do any extra security for you when you were in these places or how did you How did you feel, you know, thirty forty years ago going to some of these spots.
Speaker 2: Well, you know at that time, you know, I started out when I was in my early well I was, I was twenty four years old and at that time, you have no fear of anything. I would walk into a bus saw I still will, but a little flower than I would then. And you don't know. You don't know until you're right in the middle of it. But at the same time, we were trained to have eyes all around our head, be careful of where you are, be aware of your surroundings, don't take chances. I remember just going to my dream. And this was when Generalissimo Franco was the was in charge. Women could not go out alone. Women would not go out alone after dark. You would not do that. If you did, you have someone approached you to say ah, And that's not a good word from what I understand, But you weren't afraid. You were safe. But a lot of times people get in trouble because they do not they do not educate themselves on the customs of a country.
Speaker 1: Now, and that's an important thing. And you know what, let's go back with that, because Alice, that's if you come to this country on the flip side, you should assimilate, you should appreciate this country. And when I see these people, that's what's so troubling in this particular case, to you know, you come to this country you have to love this country. And this person was born in this country. She's an American and it sounds like, you know, as far as we know, came from a decent family. I mean to go through all of that, and then you hear, now what is going on, and you hear that she got radicalized, and you hear that she was, you know, just saying despicable things about nine to eleven, cheering on what happened nine to eleven. Is we're heading to the twenty fifth anniversary. It breaks my heart because you have to love this country. You have to love what we represent to the world. And I think you know, after what you just talked about, Alice, these are incredible places you've been to and what you've seen in experience. You know when you when you go away and every place is different, by the way, you know, every country is different and people are different, and I love learning from different people and places. But every time I come back, I said, thank God, I'm back in America. It's the greatest place in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes you know, oh, yes, you know what, Rita. There was a time when our reunion had we had to be carried right back to our base. I was based at JFK. We landed at Newark and the old New York Airways helicopter had to take us from Newark to JFK. That route, this is something I'll never forget. That route from Newark to JFK. What I got on, he said, Alice, sit over there, I knew, I knew the pilots yep, and we went. We went eye to eye with a statue of liberty. I will never forget that.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, Alice, what what a beautiful, beautiful message. You're right when you look at that beautiful statue and what it represents. And you know, my parents talked about what it meant coming into the harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty, and they cried because they knew it meant freedom. And for you to see it ony eye, what a great, great thing. Alice. You're terrific and I love you hearing your stories and sharing your stories and your love of our great country too. Especially Alice. Thank you.