Speaker 1: Welcome. Just hand Away Tagalog Sermon podcast, your daily doseph inspiring from heartfelt taglelog sermons from different pastors and speakers all over the Philippines. We hope that this podcast finds you in good shape. And now here's your message.
Speaker 2: You were listening to a message from Victory. We hope it inspires you to honor God and make disciples in your community.
Speaker 3: Last chapter of the Book of John, which is the Gospel. What a way to end the gospel with this story. If you're really familiar about the encounter of Peter with our Lord Jesus Christ. After here, before he ascended to the heaven to the Father, he really had a.
Speaker 1: Divine encounter with our Lord Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: So Peter was one of the most controversial, if not the most popular disciple of all time.
Speaker 1: It might be for some reasons, might be popular for pop.
Speaker 3: So maybe Peter is both okay, because of his uh, flamboyant, fragile personality. You know, Peter was what's called really his name is Simon, which is a wish.
Speaker 1: He was a pebbulous stone, okay, So, but he was renamed Peter.
Speaker 3: Like some other people who are here. You were named by your parents, no, without any choice. Your name as Stilo, I'm Estelito by birth. I cannot do anything, but I need to make my nickname a little cute Tito.
Speaker 1: Okay and la Right.
Speaker 3: So some of you may be Provopio okay, Anastacio a lot Bonifacio.
Speaker 1: But you know names are names, okay, and names are.
Speaker 3: Symbols of who we are and God is in sovereign power. We name Simon to become Peter, which means table, strong in stature and in posture. But when we read the Peter in the Bible, it's not the case. We can see Peter is different. But what matters most is how God sees us.
Speaker 1: You know that that God sees us.
Speaker 3: Differently in how we see ourselves. That's why when you fish the mirror every day, you can see a person that is not typical of what we want to be right.
Speaker 1: We want to be kindly different in everything that we do.
Speaker 3: Peter's life is a classic example of what we have a trading disciple but always fails. There's a lot of people nowadays want to follow the Lord, but they felt like they're a failure. They become unfaithful to the calling of God in their own life. Let's look into some of the highlights of Peter's life during the time he was here.
Speaker 1: So Peter's impulsive highlight. First, he stated that he would never deny knowing Jesus.
Speaker 3: Yet before the next morning he had denied him three times. Lord Digita, they deny it chatter, and then the following morning three times they deny naphil cream denially. Peter Becausino Nasa us embassy fifteen years ago, I was denied four times okay, deny within a five hundred US visa maha one hundred and fifty dollars okay. So he was also one who would basically step out of the boat walk on the water towards Jesus. Then he realized his faith wasn't as great as he thought, and he started to sing trabno the impulsiveness of Peter to do things on a mazmabilisi maxalitak is a magisia okat okay okay.
Speaker 1: Then Jesus started to reveal that he was going to be killed.
Speaker 3: Peter rebuked him and said that would never be done to you, Jesus, And the Lord says, get thee behind me, satan okay mission not ten times a bin you know, Samarai biganating a man tribe nothing, get this behind met him. And that's what real day, the real score of Jesus seeing Peter to be an hindrance to the general plan of God for salvation. And another instance, and when Jesus was arrested in just semone in the guard and Peter drove his sword and cut off the ear of the high priests sleeve tangal you know, know, but you know what the target is not the ear, is the neck mail. He could be a murderer at that time. And when John and Peter came to the empty Tooman Easter morning, John respectfully stood at the doorway, but not Peter.
Speaker 1: He was rushed in and saw he situated. Then he ran home.
Speaker 3: Terrified. Patty nothing, because Peter is a pet It was petrified. So Peter is the most likely person that we would ever love. Comerica Peter A Moyan he and friend Usa Facebook and like Moyan Iomusa. Okay, there are some people we love and the people we don't like, but it's okay. We have the right to like people and love people as well. So with all this scenario and condition that Peter had in his life as a growing disciple, he felt the heaviness of being a failure.
Speaker 1: Have you ever felt a failure in your life? Have you ever felt that?
Speaker 3: You know Molana Pagassa, I stop, I quit, I will never never walk this way again. I'll stop whatever I do, I do what is right before my eyes. Peter had that kind of sense of failure. When a person had a sense of failure, they experience these things.
Speaker 1: First. They were discouraged, a difficulty to move on, diminished.
Speaker 3: They felt so weak. They don't want to wake up in the morning. They always want to sleep all day long. Ban tao okay, while and texts everything his drug. He's then motivated, inspired, uninspired, very slow, static. He wants to be alone, isolated people, and that is depressed, very sad, somber, sense of laws and security. I make psychologists by professional and pastor our counselor many of my I call the clients are suffering from depression, and mind you, if there is a hospital for emotionally unhealthy people, it would be pulled back.
Speaker 1: They're a lot.
Speaker 3: Even in the stage when you go to the States, antidepressent drug are just over the counter.
Speaker 1: It's like bio Jessic.
Speaker 3: It's like diatabs okay, and everything that you can buy overhound without the receipt because it's common.
Speaker 1: But depression is very dangerous and we can see that in the life of.
Speaker 3: Judas who hung himself. He cannot take it because of his failure. Our sense of failure and guilt are hurtful experiences.
Speaker 1: It's hard.
Speaker 3: We don't want to undergo these things. And how many of us here can relate what I'm saying right now? Okay, it's hard. It is easier said than done. Madalign modali la sabina Okay, is hard because in the eco you make a tawanah sometimes people you know, that's very senseless.
Speaker 1: Okay, why are you suffering this time? Etcetera. But you know this is not who you are and this is not the person you're talking to.
Speaker 3: But God and his grace enables us to recover and enables us to move towards what God wants us to have.
Speaker 1: In this story.
Speaker 3: In Johan twenty one, it depicts upon the life of Peter, the disciple, who loved Jesus so much, but his love cannot decontained to his actions and faithfulness in following the Lord.
Speaker 1: Like any other disciples like us. We love the Lord so much, she need to well.
Speaker 3: Okay, and maybe ten or twenty times a week is what Peter is experiencing during those times. So our mandate really is to follow Jesus. And John twenty one gave us a classic illustration of what the son we should learn as a disciple. What are the three lessons that Peter really realized and encountered while with Jesus. Number one, we need to follow Jesus with humility. Simon Peter said to them, I'm going for fishing. They said to him, we will go with you. They went out, got into the boat, but the night came they caught nothing. Just as they were breaking, Jesus stood on the shore. Yet the disciple did know that it was Jesus. Jesu said to them, children, do you have any fish? They answered no. He said to them, cast your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some. So they cast it, and now they were.
Speaker 1: Not able to haul it because of the quantity of fish.
Speaker 3: In fact, the number of fish that they caught was one hundred fifty six, and the Bible typically say it's large fish.
Speaker 1: Large kay lapu lapu.
Speaker 3: No Hindi Dili is Hindi toyo and akuhanela large and the miracle is Hindi napun net. It's only because Jesus wants to make a statement because during that time magolion Niepeter, he said, I'm going out fishing. He's saying something Tapusna one chapter Napagagan disciple.
Speaker 1: Call, I'll go back to where I belong. I went to do it my way, not the Lord's way.
Speaker 3: You always do it your way, right, my way, and Mamma Tatao.
Speaker 1: Okay, my way.
Speaker 3: You always want to do it your way, and she just said, no, it's not your way, it's my way. You see, you spend all night long. You said you're an expert fisherman, and you got Tidi my master fishermen said he's a master fisher and all night long. And it's un characteristic for fishermen to throw their nets to the right side, because that norm is that you always throw your net to the web side.
Speaker 1: You see, Sidney Peter. But man, k we're expert fishermen. Okay, you're as a carpenter.
Speaker 3: Have in it coming to run into but to their shame and never realizing Peter.
Speaker 1: Now, Jesus Christ not just a master carpenter. He's the lord of all creation.
Speaker 3: He can dictate all the fish to go everything to the right rather than to the left, and take a hold on fifty six toma. But that's the only thing, the maximum number.
Speaker 1: Of fish that they can hold. What are we trying to say here?
Speaker 3: Jesus is teaching great humility to Peter the disciple. He's saying, Lord, I can do something for myself. Maybe I can be okay here, kume or respect as are really Lord is a professional pigan fishermen.
Speaker 1: And it's like what we are right. If we do something we fail, we do and come back and do something that we're used to do. And there's a high degree for us to be successful.
Speaker 3: Kay Lord babayanganyan connectionan popular compromises many and God is teaching us something on humility. Whenever will fail, all that it's better to fail than fail to follow. Right, it's always for us where we fail, it's okay, because no one really becomes successful without failing. But what God wants us to have is to humble ourselves before him. Whoever humbled himself shall be lifted up. God will always want us to be humble servants of the Lord.
Speaker 1: It's no amount of.
Speaker 3: Smartness, the amount of intelligence is no amount of discarded for what they are.
Speaker 1: That brings about success in life.
Speaker 3: If you're a Christian, you yield upon the power and the success that God once we have. We need to have that kind of habitual dependence on God. Habit means you always do it every day, you always keep you remind yourself. I need to be humble because you know what the reality is. La taile my album, my abam let to ourselves, myabum tail Magao mayaban Taile. Why because that's part of sinful nature. Christian Kela, you learn to be humble. I still have a picture of my student life thirty six years ago, this tech heart travel in nineteen eighties. Okay, Panama ni di babel to make it mahijuan baba Okay. I have that picture in my death in my ofice table because it always reminds me of my humble beginnings. I always think about Mysego during that time thirty years ago when I was student. I was seventeen years old, then at USD taking up a BS pharmacy Well Galia Galiza chemistry no, then chemistry one, okay, napilitan.
Speaker 1: Pharmacy.
Speaker 3: But whenever I look at it, I always learned humbling moments are I know where I began. I only preached to a bunch of ten twelve students in a ten square meter boarding house in the Pitan.
Speaker 1: And this is reminded me. I need to humble myself before before God.
Speaker 3: No matter where we are, what we are, Miyama gonna go Anakaparin and jos Hindikai get taken in. And this is what God is telling Peter, and this is what God is telling all of us, that we can never never outdo God, and we can never never be proud of.
Speaker 1: Who we are.
Speaker 3: The more we try to force ourselves improve something to ourselves, the more.
Speaker 1: Well God will humble us.
Speaker 3: But the more you humble yourself, God will leave you up. That's why John says, God, Jesus, let you increase and I decrease. Number two second lesson that Peter understood in his life Jesus was you need to follow Jesus with integrity. Integrity is making your word become one with your action and your attitude.
Speaker 1: We can say one thing and do another thing. Remember this word.
Speaker 3: When Jesus asked Peter three times, do you love me more than this para word no, That is an opportunity for Peter to validate his love for Jesus. What Jesus is saying right now to Peter's that words are cheap ama salita, cheap maram, samatatas nasalita, phosa inde namatamala the India.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what God is saying to Peter.
Speaker 3: You know, if you love me, feed my sheep, feed my lamp. Okay, it's not about what you say, is what you do right as a faithful disciple of the Lord. What God wants us to have is the integrity of words and into action. We need to walk the talk. We can say I love you, and yet we're cheating. We can say I love you, but we're lying and deceiving people.
Speaker 1: Words are not enough.
Speaker 3: Jesus said to Peter, I know you love me so much, but you need to learn to love put that love into action by showing your love for me.
Speaker 1: In fact, Peter eluded death when he escaped capture.
Speaker 3: That's what he's saying, panindigano, panindigristi, pandian. Especially when we're attempted as Christians to prove who we are. It's a practical life. Nothing pact fine and bi r tamba nothing as well.
Speaker 1: Do not do we treat people fairly and squarely? Do we pay the right thing to do?
Speaker 3: Are we faithful in every little things that we do? But God is trying to say to us as disciples that we need to we need to be faith on what we're saying.
Speaker 1: What Peter is saying to God, to Jesus that Lord, I cannot have the love that you have for me. The agapi love is for God and I can show it Flo. It's fine.
Speaker 3: God doesn't expect us to show the love the kind of love that Jesus did for us.
Speaker 1: It's hard. But being faithful in loving our brothers and sisters.
Speaker 3: Just like what she said, here, feed my sheep, ten my land means continue to do what I'm doing to the people around us. Don't escape the reality. Don't escape being a disciple. That's how it is to be a disciple of the Lord. No matter what God's love is always burning in our soul.
Speaker 1: The experience.
Speaker 3: There are times when you feel down, but you can still feel the love of the Lord. You can still feel the unconditional love of God. Lord the camelina Monaco, don't go mada man the Lord will not time reddingess and what the Lord. Continue to move, my son, moving the way that I want you to be. Continue to be faithful in my word. Continue to love the way I love you the most.
Speaker 1: But Peter, with his.
Speaker 3: Distorted mindset, think about his profession's pride.
Speaker 1: It's prestige.
Speaker 3: Right when people fail, they always think what would other people say? Andila an ala al gani tobacco so masado time in cross image nat and.
Speaker 1: Asabin the Lord it called Peter not not failed.
Speaker 3: Workups, moved, but follow as a cross a. I'm with two thieves and no reputations in a sabim A, I'm the lord of war and the king of kings. I don't have that reputation. I was crucified with two.
Speaker 1: Thieves and handed down.
Speaker 3: Daikund reputations in Sabbim and Peter said, really hard for me to say, I love you.
Speaker 1: Bibleba. Peter was grieved because he was asked for the third time say said dumb damn Lord, Lord and mctamp para, it's imaginable for us to really think about such thing. And with this God wants to teach.
Speaker 3: Us as disciples and many people whom we are discipling with to have that kind of attitude in life, you will never grow.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I've been a Christian for three decades now, and I think there's no secret in discipleship. The only thing that we can continue to do discipleship and be a disciple is one thing.
Speaker 1: Obey the Lord, follow him, Follow God. That's all.
Speaker 3: We had no one to emulate and be like than our Lord, Jesus Christ. The Bible says, be christ Like. We don't need to be someone whom we are not. My inspiration is God, My motivation is the Lord.
Speaker 1: In my life. God wants us to be where we are and what we are because of Him.
Speaker 3: That's why it's very vivid in the mind of people what Jesus said, ped my sheep and tend my land. That's why when he recovered and become awakened to become a good disciple, then he said in Persepittor five, verse two, the shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, watching over them, not because you must, but because your will, as God wants you to be. Not pursuing this houns gain, but eager to serve very heavy because he took and he realized what Jesus said for him.
Speaker 1: To have as a disciple.
Speaker 3: I have a picture here when I've taken in a Church of Nativity in Jerusalem, when we were there about two years ago. This is a picture of a shepherd carrying a sheep on his back. Okay, when you look at first of the picture, he said, wow, what a carrying shepherd.
Speaker 1: The guy would like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, when the tourist guy told us not, you know, the the lamb on the back of Pilayan.
Speaker 1: He's a people sheep.
Speaker 3: His leg was cracked by the shepherd. Why because that sheep tends to be pass away. He always go to the ditch and jump. Everyone follow him. Okay, So sometimes God discipline us. Sometimes God will give some discipline on our part so that we will learn, and that discipline we will never forget. And that that's what we call we we walk with the limb, because you know, whenever you remember that, you remember the discipline of the Lord. And you know it's always great to be disciplined by God. How many of us had been disciplined by the Lord. Okay, discipline the Lord to go Rome disciplining the Lord to go room. God discipline us in a way and manner that God wants us to have in this life.
Speaker 1: We cannot escape the discipline of the Lord.
Speaker 3: Uh two weeks ago, I can't someone okay, And he shared to me about his life on how he he backslidden and take out in the ministry of the Lord and do a lot of immorality. Then he said to me, I know in my heart that there will come a time that I need to suffer and experience the consequences of this. I escape the discipline of God, but now never I want the discipline of God to be upon me. Now, whatever it takes, I will undergo the discipline of God. And that's how it is makapati.
Speaker 1: Never never escape the discipline of God.
Speaker 3: Because God loves those whom he disciplined. It's always the right thing to come to the Lord and be disciplined by God. One Johan, chapter three, verse sixteen says, this is how we know that what love is. This is laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.
Speaker 1: This is one of the mandate of Jesus to Peter feed my sheep, feed my lamb. Where are all disciples here?
Speaker 3: Being a Christian and being a disciple during the New Testament is one of the same. Now that there's no gap, But through the years of life in the modern days, being a Christian and being a disciple, there's always a gap in between. Right because of worldliness. Probably there are men and alto challenges of the world can give. We try to be enticed by the worldly offers. And there's a great gap between Christianity and the disciples during my time. But Christian come have a come Bible during my time Christian Christian Bible, Bible, okay, And.
Speaker 1: It cannot be.
Speaker 3: Measured on how the outer appearance that should go being a Christian church is not the picture that you wear. It's not the emden that you wear. It's not the sticker in your car, it's not how big or now. It's your Bible. Because you yourself is a living epiecele of God.
Speaker 1: Your life is the best testimony of who Jesus is in your life. So how can we breach that gap? Nowadays?
Speaker 3: Is what we call discipleship. Being a Christian you need to be discipled and make disciples. But if you're not doing that, that God will continue to widen. People say, I'm a Christian, and yet we don't see the real life of Christ in them. It's not easy to be a Christian. In fact, people says it's impossible.
Speaker 1: To be a Christian.
Speaker 3: But what is important, then, church, is that Christianity is not based on your religion, but based on your deep intimate relationship with God. We have to disciple people. That's how we need to follow the mandy of Christ. To follow Jesus in humility, to follow Jesus in integrity, and lastly, to follow Jesus in simplicity. I will not read the verse anymore for lack of time. But you know, when look at the picture. When after Jesus told this story to Peter, we thought that Peter already got it right, Tealagan, So you humility, integrity. Then toddenly, Jesus told Peter that you know you will die this kind of death. He said, when he looked, he saw John the beloved, okay, and how about this man?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you means when you're suffering and it's not favorable to us. We look outside the window and tried to look back, but.
Speaker 3: Inda Purple purple, indeed, know what God wants us to follow in simplicity.
Speaker 1: What is simplicity?
Speaker 3: Simplicity being focus to follow God and sabini. Lord Peter, what is it for you if I let this man live forever? It's none of your business.
Speaker 1: What I tell you?
Speaker 3: You you follow me, You follow the order of God. Being simple is that we need to focus on one. We need to be simple minded. We need to focus on what God wants us to have. Closure. Doctor three, verse two says, set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things on earth. We have to manifest our relationship with God based on how we understand who Jesus and our Lord for our life. No more groaning, no complaining, and no comparing with other people. History says that Peter died on the cross, but he was crucified upside down. He said, I'm not worthy to imitate.
Speaker 1: What my Lord Jesus said.
Speaker 3: After all, he understood what it is to be a disciple of the Lord.
Speaker 1: He undergo this kind of suffering.
Speaker 3: But John de Beloved, on the other hand, traditionally says it's not inflated in the Bible. But traditionally said that John de Beloved was so into a boiling oil three, four or five times, but when they got him, it's still alive. In Apanela's island of Patmosmamatist.
Speaker 1: Of Revelation. Sometimes we cannot understand the ways of the Lord, but it's not about the life of other people. It's our life that matters.
Speaker 3: Discipleship is personal, Discipleship is simple. Discipleship is simply following Jesus in humility, in integrity and simplicity. In conclusion, I can say that life is worth living for when we know the purpose of God and faithfully obeying and following him his will for our life.
Speaker 1: Church. We need to be serious in this lifetime, this gangerous time in our life.
Speaker 3: Tragedy anyone Memabumbas and Manchester, Samarawi, Manchester, Marawi, Okayai Green Hills. That was not Lin Dolanda, Marilyn Dolmanalin Lindolna. Those are signs of the times that we need to take time to think about deeper our commitment to God. How long shall we be serious in our relationship to God?
Speaker 1: How could we become a serious disciple that will disciple other people for the Lord?
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening to this message for more messages like these from other Victory centers, please visit victory dot org dot pH from Slash Resources Slash Podcasts, thank.
Speaker 1: You for listening.
Speaker 4: We hope that you enjoyed today's episode.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to share and subscribe to this podcast for more. God bless you all.