Speaker 1: Hi, this is Peter Vandermulen with firefast vible gear and you are listening to the Doctor Sky Experience and a real experience. It truly is.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen to the Doctor Sky Experience, proudly here on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC out of New York, around the world, and who knows where else out in the universe. We simply say the crown jewel of radio, the iconic Talk Radio seventy seven WABC, and we appreciate you today tuning into the Doctor Sky Experience. You two can find out so much more about the Doctor Sky Experience, not only by listening to these podcasts, but also, ladies and gentlemen, going to our blog which is located simply at WABC radio dot com. You know, we talk about American exceptionalism on this particular program and ways to always be refused to be a victim, because a victim, in our opinion, is simply someone with no options. Always refuse to be a victim, fight back legally and responsibly, and in these somewhat troubling times, you yes, that's the right. Ladies and gentlemen need to be prepared for even the most amazing contingencies that can happen out there so you can survive. And today just a few minutes, will be introducing a very special guest, Peter Vandamuelen, a company called fire Fast Survival Gear. What say them, Well, we'll tell you a little bit about this, but I'll put it in perspective about why people need to be prepared in one way or another. We're all seeking to survive our society collapses and survival reverts to the most basic level, food, shelter and protection. Making a fire is essential to all three categories, cooking food, warming a shell. There in any number of ways fire can be used to protect, such as signal fires, wild animal attacks, et ce. So life without fire becomes difficult to sustain. Thus the need for a reliable method of starting a fire. And we're not trying to scare anybody on this program into thinking our civil society will end tomorrow. Our purpose here is to provide each and every one of you, ladies and gentlemen with options. And talking about that, let's talk about small business in America. Well, how did this company begin. We'll find out in just a moment, but here, as we talk about it, they began as a classic mom and pop shop. They started from nothing, developed on a shoe string budget, began to add employees, and evolved into what we are today. And that is what they are today, a true made in America's story. And here to tell us the rest and some fine details about why you need this particular product in your go gear when you're out there, out in the outback or just everyday life. We welcome Peter Vandermulen, a firefas survival gear. Good afternoonser, and welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much for having me. I appreciate the opportunity to explain what we do well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your time. And you know, for the longest time, I mentioned to you and your wife when we were talking a long time ago, as we've been many times visiting the crossroads of the West gun shows out there in Arizona. As you traveled there, you know, I always tell people on our radio shows that you know, they always need to be prepared, and that's the old boy scout at it. So I was always be prepared. But when I came across your booth there, I was quite impressed because I've been looking at and finding out no success by finding out these very inexpensive and very seriously lack of quality products when it comes to being able to, you know, start a fire when you need one out in the outback. So tell us about the company. Tell us about the products, because I'm going to I understand we're going to get into a little discussion here about magnesium, and the chronic magnesium that you procure is something that makes this product very special. So how did you get started? This is interesting?
Speaker 1: Well, it was about seven years ago and my wife and I had ended off another business and we were looking for other things to do. And I don't know, as a young child, some of us are interested in fire and I was as well, not that I ever committed at arsenal or anything, but I just like.
Speaker 2: To employed it and.
Speaker 1: Like to start fires. And I observed somebody else manufacturing a product there was a fire starter for camping in survival purposes, and I discussed this with my wife for quite some time, and we decided that we could manufacture a better product along that line, and so we set out on a process of research. And the magnesium is an important element, but I guess the most important element of our fire starter is the peristerium, which is earth metal and iron. And we actually located the original manufacturer of peristerium, and they're they're in Austria, not Australia, but Austria near Jersey. Yes, yeah, and we we buy our product from them. I mean in terms of the peristerium itself and in comparison to everything else on the market. The flint that I that I buy is ninety six percent feristerium, and basically the rest of the market uses product manufactured in China, and it's not really peristerium at all. They use such a tiny fraction of rare earth metal I think about sixteen percent of there. Pharaoh rod Is is fair is earth, and mine is seventy six percent rare earth, and pariserium, of course is made up of rare earth and iron. And so when you combine those two it makes ninety six percent in my product, and in the Chinese product is less than thirty percent.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, that's amazing. And you know, if you look at the periodic table, I know you know this better than anybody. Magnesium checks in is number twelve on the periodic table. But it's interesting. I've been around a lot of machine shops in my life, and you know, maybe you have two. And we've seen people always have a cautionary tail about drilling into Let's say an aerospace company is doing a block of magnesium and when they spin that drill right Peter too fast, what happens. They can excite that piece of magnesium and you simply can't put it out. So this is a very magical piece of material. I wonder where its origin is. I mean, we can go back to time and space. They say in stars magnesium is produced from the after of that of supernova. But the point is, tell us about magnesium because it's so amazing. Because if you use this product to start a fire, and your high quality one, this is going to work every time. And let's say you're out in the middle of a blizzard or a you know, big windstorm or a big downpour in a hurricane, Yours is going to rely. You know, yours is going to work all the time and every time. And the good news, I love it. It's made in the USA. That's a big plus.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do all the we do all the manufacturing in house here and the the magnesum we use is ninety seven percent pure. There's three percent other impurities in there actually just to make it stronger and so forth. And when it gets when it gets produced, it has to have a couple of those impurities in it or else that it won't come out like a smooth rod. It ripples without the other impurities in it, and so and so that's why we get it slightly alloyed. But it's only three percent and magnesium is interesting. It burns at four five hundred degrees wow. So with our fire starter, we include a three quarter inch long, three quarter inch in diameter magnesium rod. It's a three and three quarter inches. Three inches are exposed above the wooden handle which it's mounted in, and three quarters of an inch is mounted into the handle itself. But the great thing about it is when you use our farro rod our ferrosium, if you've got dry tinder, there's no need to use the magnesium whatsoever, because you can light the fire directly from sparks generated from the ferossarium rod. Now, if you're having trouble getting your fire lit, and what you were talking about is adverse weather conditions, you shave magnesium directly from the magnesium rod that's on the back side of the farrow rod. And you can use that to generate a four five hundred degree burst of heat which will help you get your fire lit in extreme weather conditions.
Speaker 2: Wow. So that's a amazing And let's go back to the survival aspect of this, you know, as the Doctor Sky business and what we do not only in broadcast, but I did mention this to you and your wife we go out there. I'm just letting the listeners know about this. You know, we do so many outdoor night events with telescopes out in the outback, and a lot of people come out there. They don't have those two three hundred five hundred million dollars you know RVs, so they're actually boondogging out there and they're camping. Maybe just some people have a small tent or a sleeping bag or a hammock, and they do want to start a fire, you know, legitimately and do it safely, you know, in the proper procedure, and we could go through that. I mean, you want to have a rock base around it so that the fire can't escape. But the more important thing is when you're out there and you can't rely on just a little book of matches or something like that, that would be ridiculous. So take us down this path. I mean, this is something to describe the process. So you have, let's say, the trucker in your hand, one of the models that you sell, and we're looking at that on your website, which of course is fire dashfast dot com. Wellw dot fire dash fast dot com. Describe the procedure. I mean it may sound so simple to people, but starting a legitimate fire, if you're out there for survival needs, or even if you want to do what marshmallows and s'mores, this is something that everybody needs to have in there.
Speaker 1: Go go bag, right exactly. Well, camping in survival, those are two separate endeavors. Right, A lot of times, you know, people will take cotton balls, basoline, dryer, lint, tissue, paper, and all sorts of things that actually help people ignite a fire more easily. Now, that's camping because you can go home and you can pull more dryer lint out of your dryer and save it up and take it with you. But the survival is a different a different creature altogether.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you don't have the support of the.
Speaker 1: Civil society to provide you with things in a constant basis. What I've done with my Trekker firestarter is and as I explain to people when we do demonstrations at gun shows and trade shows, we if you like one fire day with my fire starter, five years later, you're still using the same tool. What it means is you have not had to rely on replenishing the other things that you would need to light a fire if you're camping, right exactly, And so I mean you know, if you're if you've got a lighter, you've got various different tools that make it very very easy to light a fire. It's all well and good, you should use them. But what I like to have people do when they buy my product is when they do go camping, is practice with this fire starter. It's easy to use. In terms of tools of a similar kind. It does take a little skill, and but once you get the skill, so use it quickly and easily. The whole point is is if there is a disruption in the civil society, then you already have the skill with you under your.
Speaker 2: Bill, right, you'll be probably the most popular person in your neighborhood. If God forbid, the lights go out and there's no electricity, And not to sound alarmist here, I just want to remind everybody in a happy way as we go on start the year twenty twenty three, you're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience here on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC, out of New York City, around the world and out into the cosmos, as we like to say, the Crown Jewle of Radio, the iconic Talk Radio seventy seven WABC, And we hope that.
Speaker 3: You're enjoying the Doctor Sky Experience art exclusively here on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC, the Crown Jewl of Radio, the iconic talk station WABC out of New York City and around the world. And just in case your travels take you to the West, we hear on the Doctor Sky experians support your Second Amendment rights. And who better to tell you than the good folks at the Crossroads Gun Shows. Yes, the Crossroads Gun Shows can be found at Crossroadsgunshows dot Com. They, like many others out there, are in the fight to help preserve your Second Amendment rights. Give them a try today.
Speaker 2: A very special guest today is Peter mander Muhln. He of course knows so much about this, about not only the survival mode, the camping mode. His product line and his company, Firefast Survival Gear. Learn so much more about them, and I encourage you to go there, folks, because you know, for years we were doing this radio show called a Call to Rights, and the mean mantra of the show Peter has and always will continue to be in my mind what always refused to be a victim. Victim is simply someone with no options, you know, fight back legally and responsibly. And how does that translate in today's interview? Always be prepared, and it's so important, But I wanted to kind of ask you something else. As we go on here, will we talk about this? You know, we see the ability to start this fire as you need it. And here's an interesting thing. Maybe this is a minor observation by myself, but I've seen people have books of matches and they didn't secure them properly. Let's say they have an RV. Where did they lay them. Let's say they're a smoker, Let's say they're not. They put them on the dashboard of the car. And that's ridiculous in my mind, because what happens the magnification of that sun come in through the mirror and through the windshield. I should say it can even start a fire, So yours is totally inert it doesn't have anything. You can't do anything unless you initiate the procedure. So there you go. I think that's a much better way to talk about safety and yours what last heck of a lot longer than a book of matches. Please continue.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, if you, like I said, lighters, matches and so forth, if people wish to use them, I have absolutely no objection to that, and sometimes it makes perfect sense, absolutely, But gaining the skill to use a fire started, which gives you a long term survival mechanism, it's it's an important thing. And it's not just from the viewpoint of, oh my goodness, if the whole civil society collapses, you have in But it's like it's like any camping experience. Uh, you learn new skills, You actually become more competent in life yourself, and so uh, I actually enjoy going out into different wilderness environments myself and actually testing myself on how well I can light a fire in just about any condition.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, this is interesting, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well it's a it's a it's it's a matter of enjoying the outdoors as well, and so I, you know, you go out, you do it. And you know, my wife and I basically are the principles of our company. And so we spend a great majority of our time just manufacturing products, but when we do get out, because we travel to uh a number different locations quite regularly. Also, any one time I was in Las Vegas, and if you know Las Vegas at all, there's a lot of just desert lots right in the middle of the city.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I go there just about every month, whether I want to or not. But that's a whole other.
Speaker 1: Story, right and so and so we were going to do a show in Las Vegas and at the convention center, they would not allow us to do live demonstrations of our fire starting ability with our trek or fire starter, And so my wife and I went onto the local desert. Like we didn't have to go very far because you didn't have to even go out of town. There plenty of lots that looked just exactly the same before Vegas was developed at all. So we went out there, stripped up some grass and brush and lit fires quickly, and we took video of that and showed the the the customers who came to the gun show, how simple it was to light a fire where that fire started with a demonstration on Las Vegas desert. So wow, wherever it is that we go, if we can't do the live demonstration, we'll do something in the outdoors close to where their show is to demonstrate how easily usable our product is in a variety of different circumstances.
Speaker 2: Well, not only do people need the product, but I think they need a good demonstration about Well, we already covered the survival concept of the actual camping side, and there's so many other uses for this product. But it's something interesting that I want to talk about here. And as you go into your blog, you have one of these particular blogs that's in there, you know, emblazoned in your website, at the website of course, firedeshfast dot com, and you know it, well, it's yours. It's unknown American worker. And let me say this before we tell people about this and you describe it in detail. What I find fascinating here is American small businesses. What's built this country. And we talk about American exceptionalism here, Peter, and I mean every word I'm going to say here. It's not these giant corporations. That are the ones that I'm appealing to here. It's every mom and pop company out there that came up. You know, many of the folks that graduated from high school, maybe some of them didn't even graduate high school. Maybe some came from foreign countries and emigrated here the right way, the long term procedure, and they came with five maybe dollars or five cents in their pocket. But the important thing about your blog here, and it's entitled is you know, unknown American worker. Talk about this because it's interesting. It's about some contractor named G. W Ellis where cement was late in nineteen twenty seven. And the bottom line is what that after ninety five years, the quality in workmanship is still there. You know. That's what we need, quality products made here in America by people that obviously believe in their specialties that they have. And that's what I think America is all about. What say you, it's important to hear this.
Speaker 1: Oh, I agree entirely. I've many many years. I used to do trade shows and gun shows around the country, and we're more regional now than we were. But I would every morning I would go jogging, and I would look at the sidewalks as I went by, and they would have they would have stamps the contractors in the cement. And what I noticed is in the past, you go back to a subdivision made in the sixties or fifties or forties, that the sidewalks were still in great shape. And you get into the seventies, eighties, and nineties and the cement is far more disrupted and broken up than it is in the sixties, fifties and forties. And what it means is the quality of workmanship has been declining. And outside my house is the stamp that you just referred to. Gw Ellis nineteen twenty seven. And you know, Los Angeles, there's earthquakes all the time. And these sidewalks have stood almost one hundred years. And we are indebted to the people that made quality, quality products. And all around us are examples of well made things and poorly made things. And my own company we spent the last year in improving even as our costs were rising on magnesium, peristerium and wood, and the wood that we use in our handle, and even the para cord that we use to attach our striker which creates the spark. All our product costs have gone up, and even during this time, we have been increasing the quality of our products. And even though we have less financial resources than we did a couple of years ago, it never blunted my commitment into making the highest quality product on the market.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, very well said, and I just want to remind everybody you're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience and proud to be here with you, ladies and gentlemen on talk radio seventy seven WABC out of New York City, around the world and maybe even out into the universe. We call it the crown Jewel of radio, the iconic talk radio station seventy seven WABC. I'm Steve Kates with great guest here on the Doctor Sky Experience as you're hearing today, Peter Vandermuelen. He of course owns a company, very interesting company, small business ladies and gentlemen, and proud to say it Firefast survival gear. Check them out, fire dashpast dot Com. And I want to mention something too. You know, you've been given some awards here and rightfully sofa the quality of this product. And we'll get into some of the items that you do sell Trekcker. This particular product that you make is rated number one by Outdoor Life magazine. Talk about that honor. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well, it was very interesting. Tim mcwelsh in twenty nineteen. He's a survival trainer in Virginia and he wrote for out to A Life magazine for many years, and he came across our firestarter in an or very organic way as he was conducting his survival classes and some of his students began to bring our firestarter to his training camp. And of course he'd never seen anything like.
Speaker 4: Us, with the quality and the ease and the ability of using alcroarics a light fires with. And so the online version in I believe July twenty nineteen about to a Life magazine, he writes an article there's about eight or ten different fire starters that he has and owns himself and rates us the number one firestarter. And what I find is oftentimes when I when I deal with survivalists and survival trainers, they all love our products. But sometimes when you get one to ten lists, when you you know we've all looked at those one to ten lists, unfortunately, some of those are dominated by uh basically companies that pay to have their position as the best fire starter out there, and you don't actually get a legitimate.
Speaker 1: Side by side comparison. And what was nice about sim mcwelsh is that he had no agenda because he does survival training, and survival training is where the rough the road. And so if your if your product doesn't work, no matter how much money you get paid to see how good it is, if it's not working, it's not working. And so he wrote an article which was just completely uh a complete comparison, and we came out number one. And I believe it's because we we use the world's best products and where the most conscientious manufacturer and make a product it's going to last many many years, and even if it sustains violent impacts, we'll still keep on working, won't fall apart, and gives you survival potential many many years into the future. And even if you never actually have to use it for that purpose yourself, you can give it to your kids and they'll still be able to use it because it will still be a usable school.
Speaker 2: And firefair survival gear will be on their minds and their children down the line. I'm a small business, ladies and gentlemen. The seed grows and that's exactly what we're talking about today. Very interesting guests here today, and I want to remind everybody there's something in the product line for everybody at every price point. So I know, if people are sitting there going, well, hey, this is a top bagnesium product in the world and all these other things, you know, maybe this is just something that I can't even think about financially, I think differently, right, I mean, you do have a variety of products and something pretty much for everybody out there. And I encourage you to go to the website again firedashpass dot com to learn so much. But what seems to be one of the better sellers right now, I mean as you go through this past year twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Two, Yeah, the best seller is hands down, our Trekker. This is your survival your survival grade firestarter. The next one down and the Trekker is five ounces total weight. The one that a lot of campers use is called the Camper lanyard that has forty inches of pair of cord.
Speaker 4: You can wear it.
Speaker 1: Around your neck if you so choose, and it's three ounces total weight. And then we have an ultra backpackers firestarter called the Firefly, and that is one in three quarter ounces total weight.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: A lot of a lot of the extreme backpackers won't ever take anything that's over two ounces, and so we made sure that that did not breach the two ounce level. And but one of the things we've done in the last year, as I said, we've increased the quality and performance of all that products. The firefly is the one where we made the biggest change. Our plant is longer, it is a slightly wider in diameter, and we doubled the size of the magnesium bar. And so I always liked the idea of having a backpacker friendly or an extreme backpacker friendly firestarter, and now it's far superior to the to the previous years. Now and it's uh, if you lit one fire day and you're out backpacking, you should get six months worth of use.
Speaker 2: Out of the out of the fire pretty and good folks, that's amazing, you know, compared to being out there imagine the foolishness. I mean, if you have nothing but simple matches. Well, now that's why you're listening to this particular interview on the Doctor's Sky experience, and now you know better. So simply this, whether you're glamping what, Peter, in the backyard or you're climbing Mount Everest or somewhere in between. This company has something to offer you, and especially in these troubling times. I don't want to be negative here, but it's always something, you know. I've been a firearm instructor, Peter for so many years here and I've had so many people come into my classes and obviously doing everything from concealed carry you know, blah blah blah. We always talk about what people need in a go bag, and obviously for those out there that don't know what a go bag is, let's say, okay, in the worst of situations, right, Peter, I'm not being alarmist at all. There should be and everybody's you know, home batteries, a source of you know, light, heat or whatever, and obviously now a way to start fire if you needed to be outside and you couldn't do anything, you know, some food rations and something to survive with for a period of fought. I mean, I've heard different estimates. I'm not a survivalist expert, but I've heard anywhere from you know, two or three days, if you had to this bookie out of your house immediately, wouldn't that be sad, But tell us about that. I mean, what do you think the average person needs if they're going to have a go bag? What do they need to have provisions for just a couple of days in the least? Right?
Speaker 1: Right? You have to have something that UH will we'll give you at least a minimum level of survivability and I and I would think at least a week. Oh and it's not that there would be necessary. But if you if if you've got more than a week's worth of supplies, it's going to be difficult to transport, especially if you have to, you know, get out and and so if you have a definitely a week's worth of sustainable supplies with you before you have to start living off the land, then you know you've got a chance to get yourself organized.
Speaker 2: Sure, and.
Speaker 1: UH without fire starters, because we're committed to the quality of them. We test them in many different ways. One of the ways I tested one of my fire starters, I placed it in the block of ice for three weeks.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I then threw it off a thirty foot cliff, knocked off the rest of the ice, and lit a fire in thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And with the trekker we placed it in a tubble water for four days. I pull it out, wipe it on my jeans, and light a fire in thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Amazing. So there's right durability and quality and workmanship. But you know, I'm not a genius in marketing. Logos and mottos and stuff like that are slogans, but I think I came up with one for your company. And don't tell me that somebody else has beat me to the punchline. I would say it this way, firefare survival gear. Just simply keep up the fire. How about that one there?
Speaker 1: We got keep the home fires burning even away from home.
Speaker 2: Right there you go, Peter, I want to thank you for being part of this radio show and the doctor s Guy experience here. You know, my whole dream a long time ago was a New Yorker was always listening to this radio station, seventy seven WABC. They're well on the air for well over one hundred years. It's amazing. It's well in America's longest lived radio stations with great talent. So I'm privileging on it to be at least part of this team. And I have to thank so many of the people like John katzimatd is the owner of WABC, of course, and so many others. But even more so, it's people like yourself that help make up this experience from all walks of life, flighters and gentlemen. We normally talk the subjects of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather. We have many celebrity guests in the mix here. American exceptionalism. I'll never stop talking about that, you know, a salute to our veterans, first responders, and the people who work in the hospitals, obviously in these very difficult times. So Peter, I want to thank you and again, and you get the last word. Anything you did want to mention that I didn't even have a time there were a chance to ask, please go right for it.
Speaker 1: Well, the only thing I have to say about it is that I appreciate the opportunity to let people know about that product. Sure, we're committed to making the highest quality product that you can get on the market. There's nobody who makes anything even vaguely as easy to use or as durable as what we may. And so if you buy our product, you can test it yourself, and you can be safe and secure in the fact that you will be able to light a fire even if you're not Even if you're not a professional and you haven't had any instruction whatsoever, you can muddle your way through and get a fire lit without product. We've had, We've had complete and offices do that.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And Peter, finally from me, I hope that if it's not already happened, that's some of these adventurers that climb these mountains like Mount Everest, that base camp, maybe they already have this in their kit. And I hope that if they don't, they're listening to this interview right now. So thank you for your time stay with us as we go to our break here, but I do appreciate your time. Again. That's Peter Vandermulen. He's the owner with his lovely wife fire Fast Survival Gear. Check them on the World Wide Web and also you can find them more on face book and YouTube for some interesting videos. But their website triblew dot firehpass dot com. This concludes this exciting addition as you folks tell us the Doctor Sky experience here on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC. As we say it, the crown jewel of radio c You next time with more interesting guests as we have as we continue to move into the new year, twenty twenty three. Thank you so much, Peter for spending time with us and educating us on something that we really need to use and have in our bag of tricks. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you,