Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I AM six forty Bill Handle here on a Wednesday morning, November sixth, yesterday. Of course, Donald Trump having been elected the forty seventh President of the United States not only the electoral college but the popular vote. So there can be no argument I at least still hate the electoral college system. Also, if there is any doubt whatsoever that Donald Trump is pro business, the stock market is up twelve hundred points, that's all.
Speaker 1: What does that tell you? Yeah, yeah, pretty much pro business. Now.
Speaker 2: Of the propositions that were passed last night, probably the most overwhelming passage was Prop thirty six with seventy percent. That is beyond a landslide, that is a wipeout. And this was the tough on crime ballot initiative, harsher penalties for retail theft, property crimes, drug offenses. Todd Spitzer, who is the DA of Orange County, who is considered pretty much of a hard ass against crime which a prosecutor should be, joins us and Todd has been a friend for way over thirty years.
Speaker 1: Todd, A couple things for small welcome.
Speaker 2: Second, are you at all surprised that it was this overwhelming, and let's analyze it a little bit from your point of view.
Speaker 3: Well, let me just say good morning, Bill, and can you say trifecta. Let me give you the trifecta. Prop thirty six seventy percent, Nathan Hawkman sixty one percent, the recall of Pam Price, the George Gascone of the North in Alameda County sixty five percent. Recall. Okay, I mean listen, I think last night was a statement statewide, knock the crap off, keep us safe. We want to be safe. Just go back to being a safe state and knock off all these experiments. And so do I think seventy percent was overwhelming. Let me tell you something, not everybody knows the billionaires, right, the ones that the George Soros group, the want netfligs, Facebook, the funds that they put in to try to, you know, open the prison doors. All the friends of Gavin knew, some that have dinner at the French laundry. They put in millions of dollars. Bill in San Diego County, hoping to use San Diego to offset the rest of the state against Prop thirty six. San Diego passed with sixty seven percent of the vote for Prop. Thirty six. Orange County was seventy six per sent bill. Those numbers are astronomical. They are even la with sixty six percent.
Speaker 1: And I know you had railed against Prop.
Speaker 2: Forty seven, which reduced penalties for crimes. And now we are back to the where I think, and certainly you think, is more well more accountability.
Speaker 1: Is it going to change at all your ability to prosecute.
Speaker 3: I'll make two points, Bill, It's gonna make a great ability to change and prosecute. But let me just tell you. If DA's over use this new tool and we abuse it and we are perceived as too tough on crime where we're just filling the prisons again and we're not forcing people into treatment and using this for deterrence, it will backfire on us. And you know, I've been friends with you a long time. I've been around a long time now, and I'm not going to let this boomerang. I can't allow my colleagues around the state to overuse the new tools we were given by the voters last night.
Speaker 2: All right, would you quickly explain which one is just I'd rather hear it from your mouth, because you're the DA.
Speaker 1: What does Prop thirty six do.
Speaker 3: So it says, if you have two or more convictions for drug possession, we can give you dory air door B. We can tell you you have to go into treatment and you have to deal with your addiction, or if you refuse, we can incarcerate you. So it is treatment first sentinel. It tells a drug dealer, now, as a matter of law, if you deal drugs and you are convicted, if you deal drugs in the future and you kill somebody and the substance that you sold them has fetanyl, you now can be charged with murder. So every judge has to give that admonishment in court to a convicted drug dealer, just like we do with drunk driving when somebody is convicted that we can charge them with murder if they kill. Okay, in the future. So we have the fentanyl, we have the drugs, and then we have theft. And you know, we have a nine hundred and fifty dollars limit for the distinction between a misdemeanor and a felony. We did not change that in Prop thirty six, but we said if you have two or more convictions for petty theft, we can now charge you with a felony, which is what we used to have, and we lost that and that's why we have all these thefts and smashing grabs.
Speaker 2: All right, Todd, I guess it's appropriate to take congratulations, although you know, based on what so many of us think, we're just going back to a logical use of the law.
Speaker 1: Todd, your voices a little bit out. You've been screaming.
Speaker 3: No. I was with Nathan last night late in Los Angeles, and I've been doing interviews, and let me just tell you, Bill, I am so excited that California, at least with respect to public safety, maybe going back to the middle just truth in sentencing. Let's just follow the law, follow the evidence, and protect the public.
Speaker 2: Todd Spitzer, da friend over thirty years and district attorney in Orange County.
Speaker 1: Todd, you have a good one. Take care of your voice.
Speaker 2: You have a good one, Thanks, Cheryl. Okay, what did we decide as Californian's last night? And I think the biggest one was Prop thirty six, which Todd Spitzer just talked about, and that's bringing accountability back. As he mentioned, this prop had to do with making sure that criminals are going to be more accountable. In the aftermath of the George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement, das and laws were swept away in terms of how serious crimes were considered, how crimes were defined, how they were dealt with.
Speaker 1: Well, this, this brings us back.
Speaker 2: In other words, some of the terms of Prop.
Speaker 1: Thirty six has to do with theft. Simple theft.
Speaker 2: You've got to retail theft, that can be a felony after two and then fentanyl selling and you know that becomes a felony.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just brings us back to normalcy. So that was easy.
Speaker 2: That was seventy percent. Seventy percent we voted. And then a couple things about money that I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 1: Prop two.
Speaker 2: Authorize the state to borrow ten billion dollars to modernize K through twelve schools and community colleges. As I said yesterday and a few days before, Californians have never met a tax they don't like, which is why we have the highest tax rate in the United States by a long shot. And this one is not necessarily a tax per se. It allows the state to borrow money, sell a bond, and then we pay for it back. So I guess it's the second tier tax. We voted yes. Let's borrow another ten billion dollars. We voted yes to the tune of fifty six percent. Now another bond ten billion dollars to help fund the response to climate related disasters, drought, flooding.
Speaker 1: Extreme heat in shore, clean drinking water.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: By the way, I voted no on Prop two. Yes on Prop.
Speaker 2: Four dealing with the clean water and flooding and climate related to disasters.
Speaker 1: I voted yes on that one. And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: Because this is state government, and this climate change has really taken everybody for a loop. It's really not their fault.
Speaker 1: Prop five.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is an interest interesting one local governments. It would be easier for local governments to approve bonds and tax measures that fund affordable housing and some public infrastructure. And all it does is require lower the requirement vote to approve those measures from two thirds to fifty five percent. You want to know something, we voted no, voted no, And it could be maybe we've reached the point where the money that's going to housing and homelessness is.
Speaker 1: So high that it almost dwarfs everything else. That's my take on it.
Speaker 2: Well might as well, spend our entire budget on homeless because we're moving in that direction. And this will do the last one before we take a break. Sorry, I'm coughing here. This is banning involuntary servitude and in mandatory work requirement for state prisoners. State prisoners under current law can be forced to work. And this was called the Anti Slavery Statute or anti Slavery proposition.
Speaker 1: We voted no.
Speaker 2: Clearly we are in favor of slavery in this state. Slavery is a very popular thing. Not bad you slaveholders, pro slave people, Okay, so be it. Prop Thirty three would have allowed cities and counties to enact rent control to bring in more rent controls cities and counties, for example, Santa Monica cities would be able to out Santa Monica out Anamonica Santa Monica with rent control.
Speaker 1: That was a big sixty one percent no. That was surprising.
Speaker 2: Prop thirty four and I'm surprised that barely passed. Healthcare providers have to spend most of the revenue they get from federal prescription drug discount programs on direct patient care, not advertising, not political ads, straight to patient care. And it only passed by fifty one percent. Figure that one out. And by the way, California voters, we approved the measure to provide permanent funding for medical which is our version of Medicaid. And right now, the tax on managed health insurance plans that funds the program is expiring twenty twenty six. And here's the way these measures are passed. You have taxes, You have certain measures that are going only on for three or five, five or ten years, and then the sunset out because they are for either emergency purposes or to fund various programs, and then okay, we funded it, We're done. What ends up happening is that no tax is ever revoked, even temporary taxes become permanent taxes.
Speaker 1: And how why is that?
Speaker 2: Because they're always advertised as this won't raise taxes one bit, you won't pay one penny more for this proposition, and they leave out the fact that it's supposed to end next year and it's going to go on forever. Therefore you're not paying any more than you do now. And you've got things that go up a quarter of a cent, another quarter of ascent. And this is how we work in California. You know, I'm surprised that there isn't this huge influx or out flux of California is leaving the state. We have become and we are the most expensive state in the United States to live in.
Speaker 1: Housing is astronomical.
Speaker 2: Of course, the cost of gasoline, although it's gone down.
Speaker 1: Is more expensive than ever before.
Speaker 2: And I will also say something about Donald Trump being pro business. Donald Trump is pro business as long as your business is not in California.
Speaker 1: He hates California.
Speaker 2: And case in point is the salt and salt is basically eliminating your property taxes to for deductions beyond ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Now, there are people that pay.
Speaker 2: Twenty five thousand and thirty thousand dollars in property tax. Because you have a home that's let's say a two million dollar house, which is not astronomicals. So you pay twenty thousand dollars in property tax, you can only deduct ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Why well, because that was.
Speaker 2: Put in, by the way, during Donald Trump's previous administration. Why well, because it's California has those expensive, expensive tax rates. You go to a southern state, nothing like that happens. The other thing is the amount of income you make your state tax Your federal taxes used to be deductible.
Speaker 1: Well that changed to a max of ten thousand dollars. Why is that?
Speaker 2: Because Californians make more money than people in Alabama do. Because Californians voted against Donald Trump. People in Alabama love Donald Trump. So let's just say, whatever laws that are going to be passed helping people out not going to help California or New York or Connecticut.
Speaker 1: And that's the reality of it. So, by the way, pro.
Speaker 2: Business, it's Donald Trump is perceived as so pro business, which he is for the most part.
Speaker 1: Amy, what is the stock market? Earlier?
Speaker 2: You had said had been up twelve one hundred points, which is like beyond astronomical.
Speaker 1: What is it now?
Speaker 2: It's now up thirteen hundred and sixty nine points. That's unbelievable. I've never heard of that those numbers going up that high. You think the perception that President Trump is pro business? Wow, And we'll see, we'll see. I think that's true. I think workers are going to be put on a lower run. I think those people who are working stiffs.
Speaker 1: Are and it's a lot of people that.
Speaker 2: Are working stiff. I don't know if I put myself in the category. Yeah, I'm pretty stiff, and I work.
Speaker 1: That's fair gross, thank you. I do believe that middle class is not going to be treated.
Speaker 2: So well under President Trump. I do not believe that, although he pushed it very hard.
Speaker 1: I think you can't. As as who voted for him. That's exactly that's exactly correct. That's exactly correct.
Speaker 2: That he was able to convince the middle class that he would do better for them than Kamala Harris, which I believe is the other way around. By the way, I'm just telling you that. And this is not a value judgment, this is not a moral judgment. I just believe you cannot be pro pro business and still be pro labor at the same time.
Speaker 1: The two just don't work together. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: As I said, we are in for a roller coaster ride this next four years. As I said before, this was an election that both the popular vote as well as the electric college went to Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: And no one can argue that this is a democracy. This is the way it works. And I know people are very upset. I know people who are very upset about the election.
Speaker 2: Getting texts and it is the level of losing I've never seen in terms of how upset people are. But I want to share with you something that you probably are not going to hear, and that is.
Speaker 1: How Donald Trump handled this election.
Speaker 2: And I'm talking about a reference to a book that I'm reading by Bob Woodward called War Bob, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein Fame. Of course, those two broke the Watergate story and then they wrote a bunch of books, and Woodward has written dozens of books. Anyway, he's going through his files and he discusses it in his book that he keeps the number of files and the records that.
Speaker 1: He keeps like fills garages.
Speaker 2: And he's going through his one of his boxes and he pulls on an envelope and in it was a taped interview that he did with Donald Trump when Donald Trump was forty two years old, and talking about how he Donald Trump made business decisions, and he said, I always go by my gut. I don't listen to people around me, and I've made some spectacular deals. The best deals I've ever made was not listening to people that were telling me what to do. Fast forward to the election, Donald Trump was off message. We heard that about his advisers telling him he was completely off message. He was ranting, he was talking of personal attacks, he was going off off message and just going.
Speaker 1: To areas that made no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 2: And he kept on saying, I don't listen to my advisors. We heard that over and over again, that he's going contrary to his circle told him what to do, and he always said, I don't listen to my advisors. I go with my gut instinct. And his gut instinct worked. His advisors told them, stay on message, stay on message, stay on message. His gut instinct is attack, make stuff up. Why literally, dogs and cats. I would not want to be a Haitian in Springfield, Ohio going into a pet store today.
Speaker 1: I would not want to do that because, well, what are you gonna do? Are you gonna get arrested for eating the dogs? It all worked. The point is.
Speaker 2: That Donald Trump, in his own way, clearly knows more than his advisors ever will, knows more than his business partners ever will.
Speaker 1: And why is that because he doesn't listen to them.
Speaker 2: And here's the scary part is that he is now president of the United States. He's gonna have advisors around him, and he's gonna ignore all of them because he wins by doing that.
Speaker 1: He totally wins.
Speaker 2: So we are going to see a president who doesn't have necessarily more power than other presidents do. I mean he will if both Congress and the Senate and the presidency is one house, that one Republican party, of which he really isn't a Republican. The party is Donald Trump. There's the Democratic Party, there's the Donald Trump Party.
Speaker 1: And then there are a couple of some offshoots. So prepare yourself. It's going to be a roller coaster ride.
Speaker 2: And I've talked a little bit about it, and we will be talking more and more as decisions are made. They're going to take us for a loop. Hey, this is America, all right? We do this again tomorrow once again. Wake up call at five o'clock with Amy, then the rest of the show from six to nine, all of us jump in, Neil and Me and Kono is always here as his an R producer. This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,