Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Remember how we told you about Robert Downey Junior reprising a role for Marvel or I guess not reprising, but just coming back.
Speaker 2: He's getting paid.
Speaker 1: Robert Downey Junior and the Russo brothers are receiving huge paydays to return to Marvel. Variety reporting that Anthony and Joe Russo are getting eighty million dollars to direct Avengers Doomsday and Avengers Secret Wars. The same report said Robert Downey Junior is making significantly more than that number as he returns to play the new role of Doctor Doom in those both of those films. Of course, he was iron Man, and we all cried when he died an Endgame, and I knew he wasn't dead. That's why I didn't have a, you know, an emotional response, because I knew he was going to come back in some way.
Speaker 2: He had to. How do you kill off.
Speaker 1: Robert Downey Junior and iron Man and not find a way to bring him back in some way?
Speaker 2: But he's not going to be iron Man.
Speaker 1: I understand that, But I still think that he was very quick.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad, and I knew what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: I knew he would rise from the ashes in a new in a new form, like a phoenix. And I bet there will be similarities between Iron Man and Doctor Doom. They have to, they have to have similarities, just bet On, because it's.
Speaker 2: Him, right, that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's part of Robert Downey Junior's there's part of Robert Downey Junior in every character you've ever seen him play, right. In fact, I saw him over the weekend in was it Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield?
Speaker 2: Great movie? Is he in that? Yeah? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Oh but again it was one of those where it's it's clearly him.
Speaker 2: The other one was a football movie. He did, a high school football movie. I can't remember what it was called.
Speaker 1: Does Fred Rogan ever remind you a little bit of Rodney Dangerfield?
Speaker 2: I've never thought of those two have never come up in the scenes.
Speaker 1: Sometimes he has reactions Fred does and it reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, a little bit of physical stuff, yes, the physical stuff.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about Johnny be Good?
Speaker 3: Yes, Johnny be good because Anthony Michael Hall was in that I believe as well. Yes, and he said something like, hey, coach, I never mind I.
Speaker 2: Broke I broke my penis.
Speaker 3: Yes, but he didn't say that. And then the coach said something like the rubbed some dirt on it. Get back in the game. A Secret Services acting directors as he considers it indefensible that that Pennsylvania roof used by a gunman in the attempted assassination of former President Trump was unsecured. The acting director, Ronald Road Junior, faulted local law enforcement for not circulating the urgent information ahead of the shooting and for not adequately protecting the scene. He also testified that he recently visited that shooting site and what he saw said made him feel ashamed. He's been assuring lawmakers that people will be held accountable. The Republican former president, of course, struck in the year by a bullet on the twenty the July thirteenth assassination attempt before a Secret Service counter sniper killed the gunman.
Speaker 2: July thirteenth, that's seventeen days ago.
Speaker 1: It's kind of losing some of its traction, isn't it just see. I thought it would be all we could talk about, and it was going to crown Trump the winner in November because of what happened, and it's kind of losing steam.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like our it's like our palates. It's like the food we eat now is so super charged with salt and flavor and sparkles, and like we don't have. We've burned out the censors in our mouths from eating food that is too spicy and crazy and stuff. And we've done the same thing with our mental synapses. Like everything has come so fair and quick and destructive and crazy and unprecedented and.
Speaker 2: Walda all these ords are. It's just we're starting to get a little numb. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Park fire, burning up north near Chico, is now the state's sixth largest wildfire ever. It's fourteen percent contained. It's chomped through three hundred and eighty three thousand acres since last Wednesday. That is bigger than Los Angeles for your own edification, about twelve times the size of San Francisco. It is burning in Butte, Taema, Shasta, and Plumus Counties. Officials say one hundred and sixty five homes and other buildings have been wiped out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are a couple thousand others that they're looking at potentially being threatened by this fire.
Speaker 2: However, there is a good story. Well there's a couple.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 3: Number one is that Paradise and I believe Megalia. The evacuation orders or the evacuation concern is gone. The fire itself is moving farther to the north, so that is not going to be a problem, considering there's still going to be shell shocked from the fire from six years ago.
Speaker 2: But there was a guy.
Speaker 3: Who was able to save five stranded dogs. Trevor Skaggs is a rescuer from the Butte County Sheriff's Office. Two adult Rottweilers and four puppies had to be left in a remote area Wednesday night as people were evacuating a region above the town of Cohassett near Campbellville. The Bue County Sheriff's Office said one person had to leave their truck with the dogs inside it because the truck broke down.
Speaker 1: Not an excuse to leave puppies stranded in a fire zone.
Speaker 2: Weird. I mean, we don't know the circumstances.
Speaker 3: Did somebody else come and say, I don't really, I'm more of a cat person. As they were driving away and said, well, it's either you come with me alone or I leave you here with the dogs.
Speaker 2: Whatever it was they said.
Speaker 3: The whoever had to leave their dogs in the truck gave emergency responders the truck location, but because of this raging and very fast growing fire, they could not get to it. So a member of the Ute County Search and Rescue, Trevor Skaggs, is able to travel to the area via helicopter three days later.
Speaker 2: These dogs been sitting in a truck.
Speaker 3: For three days. He ran a mile and a half to find the dogs. He located the puppies and one of the adult dogs. Apparently the mother survived, but the father dog did not, but he was able to get these four cute roblayer puppies adorable. He gave the mother and the puppies water some bites from a protein bar before they got to the helicopter. They were flown out to the Chico Airport and are now with the North Valley Animal Disaster Group.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: The list of candidates who could run with Kamala Harris, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, narrowed Yesterday, North Carolina's Governor Roy Cooper and Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer both said that they were out. This decision has taken center stage since she became, since Harris became the Democratic front runner for the election just over a week ago when Biden ended his bid. So at this point, still no specific leanings, although a lot of people are doing the deep dives into figuring out who pays better, who pays half better, I should say Mark Kelly, the Senator out of Arizona, or Josh Shapiro, the governor out of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: The math for me has always been Josh Shapiro.
Speaker 3: I think, at least for nothing else geographically, I mean, the Pennsylvania Unty is an important state.
Speaker 1: It's a hugely important state. Not just a swing state, but a specific swing county is in question, and he plays very well in this area. So it it just makes sense. He's a great speaker. Finally took in some of his speeches. But I mean, I don't know what his year.
Speaker 2: Afternoon must have been just rocking. Oh, it was a banger. That was a banger. Zucchini for dinner, and I nailed a crossword puzzle. As well.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, huh, the Afghan that was over your legs get uncomfortable or scratchy?
Speaker 2: Do you mean the Afghan I was knitting?
Speaker 3: A federal judge has told UCLA and some of its Jewish students who sued the university, they have a week to hash out a court and forceable plan.
Speaker 2: This blows my mind.
Speaker 3: That would ensure equal access to campus for all if protests over Israel Hamas war or any other disruptions come out in the future.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not a scared person, but those pro Hamas protesters are a little bit troubling, especially as we're now getting ready to go to the DNC. I mean, the people yelling at Alo akbar and having no idea what they're doing seem to be quite dangerous because they've got to be unstable to some degree.
Speaker 2: Well to celebrate and to honor the work of Hamas.
Speaker 1: Yes, these aren't the people asking for the end of the war in Vietnam. These are people that are cheering on a terrorist group.
Speaker 3: This directive that was handed down after hearing here in LA followed the lawsuit three Jewish students filed against UCLA, saying that in April, the pro Palestinian encampment violated their civil rights by illegally blocking them and other Jewish students from parts of campus, including the site of the camp, which was Royce Squad. And again I'm amazed that the judge is requiring Jewish students to be involved in this process. UCLA should be hammered by the state for allowing this to have taken place. That mean, just the idea that any specific group of students on a public university campus would be prevented from freedom of mobility.
Speaker 2: It's just mind boggling to me. How about good news? Okay, how about this.
Speaker 1: The La Zoo is capping off its condor breeding season with a record breaking seventeen ugly ass chicks.
Speaker 2: All of them. No, I'm not gonna make the job. What were you going to say?
Speaker 3: I there was a sorority in Chico that was the that was their tagline, Really ugly ass chicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which one Alpha fe hi Fi? All of you had two of them ready to go.
Speaker 1: All of the seventeen chicks will be candidates for release into the wild as part of the California Condor Recovery program PS.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get heat on that. Those were just names.
Speaker 1: I threw out those those were not because I thought that those girls were ugly. Quite the contrary, beautiful, all beautiful women. The seventeenth and final chick of the season hatched in June and is thriving the previous record.
Speaker 2: Do you know when the previous record was set?
Speaker 1: Oh, it had to be twenty seventeen. It was nineteen ninety seven. Oh, how many were born? Do you think how many hatched? Well, if this one was seventeen, yeah, I have no idea. Oh boy, woof, that's a good news story.
Speaker 2: You asked for good news, and I delivered.
Speaker 3: But these are the These are the ugly because they don't have the feathers on their head. That's part of the reason why they're good scavengers. I guess you don't get there to tritus caught in their feathers.
Speaker 1: You have said that your your beautiful daughter came out looking like.
Speaker 2: Not like a baby condor, just she looked. She was odd looking. She didn't have a beak.
Speaker 4: She didn't have a.
Speaker 3: Beak, and she had a lot more hair on her head than these two feathers on their heads.
Speaker 2: But that was part of the problem. She came out with a mullet.
Speaker 3: The irony of her being born with a mullet and now my son rock in the mullet.
Speaker 2: Twenty years later is very poetic in my life.
Speaker 1: And did you know that, like vultures and other scavengers, condors are part of the nature, a part of nature's cleaning. They feed on the carcasses of large mammals. That's disgusting. They eat dead deer, cattle, marine mammals like whales and seals.
Speaker 2: That's disgusting. It's a really awful, really really awful. Ay, yeah, yea hey.
Speaker 1: The MLB trade deadline is set afternoon, Yeah, three pm our time. Will your team make a push for the World Series or will you trade away players, trade away float home run hitter we had.
Speaker 2: Giants got rid of JORGEO Solaire or hajo or Solaire.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers actually, in a three weight trade, picked up utility man Tommy Edmund, Minor League right hander Oliver Gonzales from Saint Louis, and then a right handed pitcher, Michael Kopek from the White Sox.
Speaker 2: We'll see if they make any more moves.
Speaker 3: I think their big deal is that once they start getting people back off the injured list. It's going to be the Dodgers are going to be even better. Dodgers are actually in San Diego to take on the Padres tonight. First pitch is at six forty and you can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Oh Boy, live from the gallopin Motors Broadcast boothstream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Use that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. I get so nervous. Simone Biles is on the beam. I get so nervous. I just get so nervous.
Speaker 1: Because she's such adrenaline tiney, or because because these are so oh oh.
Speaker 2: They when they do. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Watching watching the beam event from the side is not as nervous because you can't tell how wide that thing is. When they show the camera angled down the beam and you can see that their feet are just the same size, the same width as the beam, that's when it starts getting crazy.
Speaker 1: I was watching Shannon Miller's beam from nineteen ninety two. She posted it again, your afternoon must have just been race. I have been killing it with activities. But anyway, uh. And in the evolution of the skill level. I mean in Shannon Miller's beam was exceptional. I think it was a gold gold medal winner. Yeah, but it's just changed so much. It's become so much more athletic. Well in terms, they're stronger now. Simone Biles has like five moves named after her because she has done things that people have never done before.
Speaker 2: You can't do any nobody else can know. Uh Oh.
Speaker 3: Just a quick update on an international story that we are following. Israel has launched a strike on Beirut, the capital city of Lebanon today. They say the target was a senior hes Black commander. The IDF targeted in Beirut the commander responsible for the murder of the children and maj Dal Shams and killed many That killed many Israeli civilians, according to the IDF. They put that statement to ABC News. They said that again they were striking the leader of Hesballah that had called for that attack on Saturday that killed a dozen kids who were playing soccer. So I don't know if today's the day that things really start widening in that part of the world, but we'll keep an eye on it.
Speaker 1: Jill Biden is still at the Olympics. She's been at the Olympics since this thing kicked off, right, Are they trying to prove that he doesn't need a home healthcare worker? Is that what they're trying to do with her visit, or she's just trying to prevent herself from getting COVID.
Speaker 2: Remember you had the COVID people get COVID still, I know.
Speaker 1: Jill Biden is thanking rapper Flavor Flave at the Olympics for sponsoring the US women's water polo team. A video of the two of them hugging while saying hello was shared on social media. When commenting on the team, Flave said, these are my girls, Flave Flave.
Speaker 2: That's what she went with.
Speaker 1: That's what the Associated Press went with. Do you want me to use his full name?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Hi, Gary Shannon. This is Chandra, formerly from California, now living in North Carolina. Hey Shannon, did you have a chance to meet coach Harbaugh? Ah, we didn't hear anything about whether or not you did and how it went. Let us know, love your show, guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I forgot to address that. Yeah, we didn't. We were busy.
Speaker 1: There was going to be a chance, because I was out at training camp on Saturday. There was no chance. I did meet the GM and his lovely wife, Jennifer. Joe and Jennifer. They're lovely people. Saw a lot of familiar faces. Bands back together was great. But I did not meet Jim Harbaugh. He was busy. He was out on the field with the guys and did not make his way over to the sideline while I was.
Speaker 3: While I was there, did you come home disappointed or did you say that's probably better?
Speaker 1: Probably better to be in the same space and not say anything initially. And also, listen, there's going to be so many times where he is trapped on a plane, the same plane I am on.
Speaker 2: He'll have nowhere to go, He'll have nowhere to go. I'm hoping nobody plays.
Speaker 1: That's when I'm really going to break down that divisional game.
Speaker 3: I would say that we pull back on using the word trapped on a plane and say something like there will be opportunities during the regular season where there is some downtime.
Speaker 2: Let's just say that they'll take trapp And you.
Speaker 1: Know, there's other times when I can go into the meal room at breakfast before the game and really start to dig into twenty twelve and twenty thirteen. But I would also what happened and where we went back there, where we went wrong there, that's.
Speaker 3: A that's a time when he's probably thinking about the game that is about to happen.
Speaker 1: He's also got a full plate of food and he wants to finish that and I'm going to get it all in and you're.
Speaker 2: Just yapping away on the other end of the table. These are these are my chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe the airplane's a better version. And wait, wait for a win. I think there will be more this year than last. But but wait for one of those winning airplane rides.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to wait till the game on the way back, the first plane ride, I'm gonna I'm gonna walk up there. Just there's things I need to know, starting with crabtrade, shark detectors.
Speaker 2: When we come back.
Speaker 1: Why, why.
Speaker 2: It's okay? I believe those questions will be answered at some point. They will not.
Speaker 1: I can absolutely never pose those questions to hear about the white dudes for Harris Zoom call last night.
Speaker 2: What a party that must have been three hours? What it was three hours?
Speaker 1: I'm not kind of weird though, White dudes for Harris like like there's a look at there's white people that also like somebody who is black or Asian or what have you playing?
Speaker 3: Diculaly The other day the white women for Harris and it was that's ridiculous where they're talking about you have to own your privilege.
Speaker 1: And as white women don't interrupt bipuck And that's why I interrupt you all the time because of scale and I'm on, you're up a rung on the ladder.
Speaker 3: I have zero intersectionality points zero and in fact I may dip into the negative because of all of this.
Speaker 2: You at least have one or two. The least you could do is get a tan. That would keep me at neutral if I white guy with a tan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those I think they're making they're poking fun at themselves, the whole white dudees Harris.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk about it coming up after Debra's news. I know you can't wait to hear about it.
Speaker 3: A big international story again is the update. Israel has carried out an airstrike on the southern suburbs in Beirut today, targeting a senior has Block commander that Israel blames for the rocket attack.
Speaker 2: That killed twelve kids.
Speaker 3: Over the weekend, a very loud explosion heard in the Lebanese capitol before about eight o'clock local time eight pm Local time, the spokesperson for the Israelian military said they carried out a targeted strike on the commander responsible for the murder of the children. The city had been bracing for an attack. We knew that the Israeli leaders had been given permission to come up with the time and quality of the attack. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nett Yahoo vowed a harsh response, and a rocket attack that killed a civilian in northern Israel today is likely to have added even more political pressure inside Israel for an even stronger response to what's going on from Hesbolah.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are in San Diego take on the Padres tonight with the verse pitch at six forty. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA and stream all games NHD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by Care for All of LA.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of Pedaro Beach, but it turns out it's Santa Claus Beach out near a carpenter.
Speaker 2: Rhea and yeah, it's off Santa Claus Lanes.
Speaker 3: Santa Claus Lane, there is a plant. There's been no fatal shark attack in that area, but some people are starting to be worried that there are more sharks that are showing up along the area. So a few years ago, these juvenile great white sharks started showing up. And shark I is an initiative out of UC Santa Barbara's Benioff Ocean Science Laboratory, and they use drones to monitor the waters in those beaches specifically, and if a shark is spotted, the Shark Eye technology will then send a text message to anybody who signed up for Shark alerts, lifeguards, surf shop owners, parents of kids who have lessons in there.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine that you you send your kid off to an ocean swimming class and you're at work and you get an alert that there's a shark there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does that work? Oh my god, what's funny?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not funny if you just use a camera on a drone and have somebody sitting here watching the feed. Humans only detect sharks about sixty percent of the time because we can confuse them. There can be choppy water, a glare from the sun, paddle border seals kelp that they can all look like a shark under the water, and you get it wrong sometimes.
Speaker 2: So shark I.
Speaker 3: Is a It uses a computer vision machine learning model, which is a type of artificial intelligence, which is a fancy word. It's two letters, it's AI, and it enables computers to glean information from these images from the videos that are being poured in to train the computer to detect great white sharks near Santa Claus Beach. And then once they do, like I said, the text message goes out and at least people have the ability to make the decision if they're going to go.
Speaker 2: In the water or not.
Speaker 1: AI technologies are not just used in the ocean. They are used many ways to mitigate human wildlife conflict. In India, AI enabled cameras alerting villagers when tigers are closing in on their livestock. In Australia, tech is being used to manage some of its dangerous creatures as well.
Speaker 2: Australia's got some nasty ones.
Speaker 1: Australia's got spiders a size of your face.
Speaker 3: Snakes just eat your foot. There's other places around the world. Surf Life Saving New South Wales for text, dozens of beaches along that state's coast, the iconic Bondy Beach. They use drones in fifty different locations. The difference is those drones are not using that computer learning AI model to detech. They're just using eyeballs, human eyeballs. A group from one Australian university did work on AI enhanced shark spotting tools a couple of years ago, but they said the technology struggles when it's got conditions that weren't present in the training data. They're going to make this The plan is for UC Santa Barbara to make this shark eye technology free and available for open source, basically for everybody to build on to create this app that's going to be easier for people like lifeguards and drone hobbyists to run their footage through.
Speaker 1: She just went out of bounds. It's not one of our girls, it's one of the Italians. Okay, this is very distracting. I apologize.
Speaker 3: It turns out that shark attacks are still rare. This is a funny way to write this up. According to CNN, it says sixty nine people globally were at the receiving end of unprovoked bites.
Speaker 2: Who's provoking a shark? If you provoke a shark, you should be eaten.
Speaker 3: That's Darwinism, which I guess they simply don't include the provoked sharks attacks, because then is it really an attack or is it just retribution for you bad mouthing the shark's mother or something that would be provoked. It's an average of sixty three shark attacks between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two, and of those, only ten of them died in the shark attack.
Speaker 2: You know, watching the.
Speaker 1: Other countries, these women are all fantastic athletes.
Speaker 2: We're just so much better. We're just so much better. USA.
Speaker 1: Do you want to do a handstand in the break and I'll take video of it and we can no? No, no, no as a hard no.
Speaker 3: Or are you to do a cartwheel in the hallway because I saw the anxiety cross your face last time you tried it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well I'm in heels today.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I mean, if this place wasn't so disgusting, I'd just take them off, but then i'd be barefoot.
Speaker 2: What I have found someone else who walks around here barefoot?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I know too, I know too. It's Amy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I saw it for the first time last week.
Speaker 2: I tried not to react. I tried not to overreact this morning.
Speaker 1: What's the deal with the news anchors being barefoot? I not mean, I know, well, your shoes are really cute.
Speaker 2: Got to keep them little piggies clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could you imagine, like do they not see the disgusting people we work with? I mean, come on, barefoot, You're gonna get a foot fungus.
Speaker 2: You one might lose it. You might lose a foot.
Speaker 3: It's one thing if you like, if you sit there, you're generally the only person who sits at that seat all day. Yeah, generally you might feel an outsized sense of confidence that that place where your feet are right now is relatively clean. And I can understand Amy sitting in the news booth probably feels like it's relatively clean because she knows who's in there most of the time.
Speaker 2: But then to leave that the safety don't don't don't both. Let's call it.
Speaker 1: Let's call it the secret Service rule. Do not do not assume as much you're safe. This is just like that Trump rally.
Speaker 2: This place. Wait do they walk into the restrooms barefoot.
Speaker 3: I doubt I don't think Amy would do that then in the women's restroom when Amy is.
Speaker 2: In there, So I don't know that.
Speaker 1: But that guy that used to work here, Jason, he was He was barefoot everywhere, and I brought it up to him several times. That's the one who told Chris Little to eat a bag of D's on his way out right, which I kind of thought was hilarious on one hand, but showed unhinged behavior on the other.
Speaker 3: Was it a bag or a box? I felt like there was something weird about his use of the term. It was something that I think it was a bag of des Maybe not. You know what, I'll get clarification in the break.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.