Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a very special holiday edition of Full Circle the Podcast. Today we have gathered two wonderful friends to talk about one of my favorite holiday movies, The Family Stone with us. First, she has a two time Peabody Award winning children's radio host from Philadelphia, our go to media guru on all things media and entertainment, and our dear one, Kathy O'Connell. Welcome back back.
Speaker 2: You very happy to be here, Kidscorner dot o org. Okay, that's the end of my ad from now on Family Stone.
Speaker 1: Okay. And he is doctor Alfred L. Martin, Junior Chair and Associate Professor in the Department of Cinematic Arts at the University of Miami, author of The Generic Closet, Black Gayness and The Black Cast sitcom, editor of Rolling Blackness and Mediated Comedy, and co editor of The Golden Girls Essay from the Lunai. He's also the author of Fandom for Us by Us, which contains you someone in there, You're in it. I am your host, Martha Madrigal, and.
Speaker 3: I'm your host. Charles Tyson Junior and.
Speaker 1: Alfred Welcome to the Full circle table.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely this is we We scheduled this a while back because you were the two people on the planet we wanted to have this conversation. Yep. I know, Kathy and I watched this movie religiously every year at least once, if not seven hundred times. So it's it's part of our cannon. And you were just saying you're kind of caught up with that because it wasn't part originally part of yours.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I saw the movie when it initially came out in movie theaters and and it was a perfectly fine confection of a movie, and and so I didn't necessarily feel like there was a reason for it to come back.
Speaker 4: So like, for me, my holiday tradition is.
Speaker 5: That I watch years ago, I found a recording online of Donald Bird's The Harlem Nutcracker, and so that like that's my holiday trip in terms of media watching, because I also cannot stand the sort of quote unquote traditional Nutcracker after having danced it for many, many many years.
Speaker 3: Hear the music.
Speaker 5: Exactly, and it's really sad because like the music is so good, but it just has so many bad memories attached to it.
Speaker 4: But AnyWho, I digress.
Speaker 5: So so I Thanksgiving, I was invited to a friend's house and that was where I watched it for what must have been my second time watching the film Oka and then and and I was like, oh, and I'm and I was like, hey, be cause I have to watch this for a podcast that I'm doing. And then I watched it a third time. And then that was when I feel like I really sort of understood the movie and could sort of say some things about it.
Speaker 2: I have to know the after it. I have to know. At one point there is a piece from The Nutcracker that is used in the movie, the.
Speaker 5: Russian the Russian dance, and I got yes, and I got hives during that session figured that yes because actually because also the Russian dance last trap back was the first, the first dance that I ever learned the first time I did the Nutcracker.
Speaker 2: Oh you good layers, layers. Yes here. Also, I think that is where when they start going into slapstick. That is maybe the stupidest moment in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're going to get there because without without a question, because we're sitting here going this doesn't make sense. This doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's that one part. Yeah, there will be spoilers a plenty. We're going to dissect the whole goddamn movie.
Speaker 5: But also, I mean, also, there is a way that we have to start with This entire fucking movie doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, man, okay, it does, and it doesn't.
Speaker 4: I mean and and so and but and so.
Speaker 5: There's a way that approaching the movie before the credits role as this movie makes no sense, then makes the whole movie make sense, right, Yes, okay, yes, I.
Speaker 2: Have to keep telling myself people are not real people and are not my family.
Speaker 3: Right, we don't know that. We don't know these people. We don't know these.
Speaker 1: I feel like I do the type people. You know.
Speaker 4: I don't love them at all.
Speaker 1: Now you don't, which is fine. I mean, they're not everyone's cup of day either.
Speaker 2: I had a horrible realization just go round that not only do I don't know if I love these people, I am these people. Diana is both my mother and me, and I believe Sybil is the villain of this whole thing. We are set up to believe it's Meredith, but Sybil. Yeah, resistic, narcissistic, mothers. Wow, No, wait a.
Speaker 3: Minute, we're going to get there first, before we get into the nuts and bolts of this film that arguably many of our listeners probably have no idea what the fuck we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm hoping they go watch it.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, it's on Freeform, it's on Hulu, it's on all manner of things.
Speaker 4: I watched it on Prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. The Family Stone is a film that came out in two thousand and five. If you can stand it, I know, And it has a star studded cast. Diane Keaton, We've got Luke Wilson, We've got Craig t. Nelson, We've got.
Speaker 2: What's that very Jessica Parker?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one. Notice how I can't remember her name. Rachel McAdams, who we Lovemot Dermott, Moulrooney, Dermott, m Verney.
Speaker 1: I do it every time.
Speaker 2: Sorry, body does?
Speaker 4: Oh my wait?
Speaker 5: Can I can I pause for a half a second. I had the revelation that, like in the two thousands, he really convinced, like he really tried really hard to convince us that he was attractive.
Speaker 6: Right, yes, okay, right, like he like he and listen, he did a whole college try, and you're like, and we were like, and we.
Speaker 4: Were real close, like we were on the edge of believing.
Speaker 2: Georgia rule. Right, Georgia rule.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I fucking love Georgia rule.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fabulous clar Danes, who doesn't need to convince anyone that she's attractive. So this movie was by and large considered a commercial success. It had a budget of just eighteen million dollars and right and domestically it grows sixty point six zero point one million dollars and globally ninety two point nine million dollars. It was a hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I never even heard of this fucking thing until one year, You Martha put it on and we're like, this is my fan of Christmas movie and I'm watching it like I've never heard of this before. And then I was like, ooh, these white people are messy.
Speaker 1: Then that carries a heavy loot in this show. It really does. There's a euphemission Patrick carry it all. They are the diversity.
Speaker 2: There one stops shopping.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's gonna be spoilers all up and through this bad Boy. So so they are they are what like when I was in early early grad school, I wrote this this essay that I've never returned to, but.
Speaker 4: I would like I called a compound otherness.
Speaker 5: Yes, where it was just like you you you you put the queers in the in the in a show and then like and then you just pile like every bit of otherness that you want in that like movie Pilot on the Gaze. So it's like it's like, we got the one person of color who's also gay, we got the one person who has a disability in his hearing impairment, and it's like Pilot on the Gaze, and so that everybody else can be quote unquote normal.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wrote in my notes when Sad and Patrick arrive, look everyone, the diversity has arrived in the movie.
Speaker 4: And listen and listen.
Speaker 5: And they are importantly, they are the first to arrive, so that they so that they set the tone for diversity. And then we get a parade of cis head, dallless, dishwater white people.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And they are also the smartest ones because they knew to get a room at the end and not stay in the house.
Speaker 4: That part that.
Speaker 1: Part, and I wondered why that was That bothered me a little, because they've been here expectation. Where are they just really smart?
Speaker 3: They've met these motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: It's the first time this bothered me this time around. Haven't these have Haven't these siblings been out of this house for a while? Why are Ben's and Everett and Amy's rooms still exactly as they left them? Parents done anything since they like it? Just this movie makes no sense. These are not real people.
Speaker 1: But see I've seen that, you know, when the house is huge and there were a bunch of kids the parents, you know, in a large house with money, the parents have all the space they need anyway, so that rooms are time capsules. I've seen this play out.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, baby, just like you left it.
Speaker 1: Among my people. Amy arrives, what next and we get the whole visual there too. You know in the snapshot of the old Volva stationwaking that the parents probably handed her and the NPR tote bag is bringing her laundry in, so you know, we have we get a whole liberal vision of her.
Speaker 5: And so the thing I have to say that I both love and am infuriated by with this movie is that.
Speaker 4: It is so on the nose, like I mean, and it.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that that Kathy and I were talking about a little bit earlier before we started recording.
Speaker 4: Is like part of why this.
Speaker 5: Movie is so good but also so bloody terrible is because it is like it is such a paint by number script and like it hits all of the beats that you're supposed to like that you're supposed to to hit. Like within within two seconds of seeing Meredith in that department store with that tightly wound bun not a like with not a wispy in sight chain to her to her cell phone, she we know everything we need to know about her. And when Amy is at the other sister Amy, when Amy shows up in that station wagon and like and spills over the laundry, the laundry like and that has the NPR tote bag, we know exactly And we simultaneously then know because it's come on the heels of us introducing Sarah Jessica Parker, we know we've got a conflict.
Speaker 2: Correct, and we are set up to hate Meredith from the get gup, and we are more prepared to hate Meredith than Everett's family is because she is mean from the first moment we see.
Speaker 1: Her, right.
Speaker 3: She's on the phone.
Speaker 2: It's the most honest in the in the in the movie when he says, you don't even love.
Speaker 3: Her Mary right right, yeah, but yeah, she's on the phone. Tell me, I don't care if it is Christmas. I want the five and edited.
Speaker 1: It comes up in the crazy part of the movie.
Speaker 4: But but listen, but let me listen.
Speaker 5: Can we also make space for the fact that she is fucking right, I don't give a ship if it's Christmas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your fucking.
Speaker 5: Job and you do it right, right well, and I don't give a single damn about christ This is true.
Speaker 3: You are absolutely correct. I also wrote in my notes that she is probably one of those coworkers that her fellow co workers have a nasty nickname for, and they all in her present.
Speaker 5: She does listen, she like she does, she absolutely does. But she is the one who is like U. This is not America's next top best friend, right, this is America's next top model.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But here's the second. Here's the thing. And I know we're going to get to this point because Charles Knight gone round about this point about the dinner, and I say, anybody who has gotten to Meredith's level in in business in the world has become wise enough to fake being a normal human being. And yes see they have two gay people at your table. Are you're really gonna say normal? Are you're really gonna like read the room? Meredith?
Speaker 3: Well, I have said many many times that Meredith gives off that this human suit is itchy vibe, like she doesn't know how to like have human interactions, She doesn't know how to take a compliment, she doesn't know how to handle affection, like, yeah, what is her problem?
Speaker 2: None of these people have social skills. Ben, Ben is the closest week and he's the fuck up right.
Speaker 3: So when Ben comes home and Sybil says there's no smoking pot in the house this time, I mean it, which means how many times has that really been broken? But then she says, uh, Christmas is not going to be clothing optional this year? We have company. My question is was it clothing optional for the entire family or just for Ben?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking Ben because he's the only one. She felt like she had to say it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I believe the rest of the family would have put pressure on Ben that yeah enough already Ben. Nobody needs to see that.
Speaker 3: So they're not newdiced this. Just Ben likes to walk around the house, but naked at Christmas time, or in.
Speaker 1: A towel, or you know, just comes down in the box.
Speaker 2: I'd be there for that. Yeah, I'd watch the movie a whole lot more if he did.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing is, I would submit that Ben is probably the only one in the family who is chill enough to be a new list because the fact is is, for for as tightly wound as they like to say that Meredith is the motherfuckers is tightly wound.
Speaker 7: Too, Yes, yes, significantly, less effort is violent and nobody wants to address All of a sudden he goes from zero to slamming down on the table, and nobody says, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 3: Nourst Yeah he's.
Speaker 2: Still before Yeah, I told you. These are not characters. These are real people to me, that's what.
Speaker 5: And listen and listen, And here's the thing is, for all of the ways that they like to sort of pretend like they're a hippie dippy family, they're actually they're a family who doesn't actually talk about issues. They plaster that shit over.
Speaker 2: And I've been in public broadcasting long enough to know that's exactly who they are. W b Ai, I knew York.
Speaker 3: Well, I always say The Family Stone my favorite Christmas movie about a problematic white family, and they're problematic white house guests. Yes, that's what this is. I do appreciate though, the fact that, you know, because that is hearing impaired. They sprinkle asl throughout the dialogue of the film, and it's it's kind of like Spanglish. They go in and out of it because they don't sign everything they say. They just sign like pointed phrases and things.
Speaker 1: Which, yeah, and you know, I've read up some on that. I did two things. I read up on that, and that is very much how it's pretty accurate in the ways that a hearing family does interact.
Speaker 2: Well, I was telling Alfred about this earlier. I watched a Q and A with the actors who played the siblings, which is how I finally figured out that it's Luke Wilson who's in the movie now, and they talked about the naturalness and how everybody did get to use because tied to You, Donna said, is right around the panel with them, and how everyone was very comfortable learning like Christmases, except for Craig T. Nelson who couldn't just like gracefully get any of them. He had the most trouble with the ASL, and they commented on that very thing, how very real it was, and how natural everybody in the family.
Speaker 3: His lack of grace actually read to me as someone that's just been doing it for so long that it's just casual and it's like a household dialect evening. It's like, you know, I do this, I mean Christmas, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it does ring true that idea of spanglish. But I sent the particular clip where, you know, because I could not find an answer online, and Grandma signed something really very bad. But we never know what that is. No one knows, and so I heard speculation. I sent the clip to my friend who is an ASL interpreter, and she said, honestly, I don't know. I can't see enough to tell you what she just said, And that was kind of what I heard. So I still don't know.
Speaker 3: The world will never know what Grandma's on.
Speaker 1: You know, I assumed it was go fuck yourself, That's what I assumed it was.
Speaker 2: But I assume that's what it was. I just assumed that from the beginning.
Speaker 3: Well, whatever it is, it wasn't the first time that little girl saw it to point it out.
Speaker 2: Let me talk about that little girl. Can we get right to it?
Speaker 1: But you can because that starts right in the hallway with.
Speaker 2: That kid has two D syndrome, you know, daddy, the rottenest kid who has ever been in a movie, who's in my favorite movie Meet me in Saint Louis, who never learns that actions have consequences. And I tell you right now, if I had broken the heel on some guest shoe right they wouldn't be saying, oh, it's okay, it's okay, Elizabeth, or I think we have glue somewhere. And the mother is I mean, Susan is my favorite of old siblings. She's the only one I could truly stand. And she just accepts it.
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about that last night. Susannah is the middle child, one of them, one of the middle middle children, and so like she has that whole like I'm not rocking the boat, I'm not causing waves energy like she never really like, so I'm it probably carries over into house. She raises that child, it's fine.
Speaker 1: And we got two of those right, yeah, like, well, no big deal. And but I keep saying, in the child's defense, she asked a question and she was ignored.
Speaker 3: She didn't get an answer, so therefore she didn't have permission to touch anyone else's shoes.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, she tried. She tried.
Speaker 3: If I say, can I play with your shoes? And I don't get an answer that is not implied, yes, that is, leave it alone until you get the answer to your question.
Speaker 2: Exactly and obviously upside stranger I've never met, exactly can I with your shoes?
Speaker 3: Especially when you said to her, I like your shoes and she acted like you spat at her feet because she didn't know how to take a fucking compliment. So I wouldn't want to touch your shoes.
Speaker 2: No, so they did not get a look. I have to say, one thing I did learn from that Q and A is that Luke Wilson and that little girl did not like each other.
Speaker 5: Really, Yes, so I thought, my favorite thing, because I don't have children, it's like, is like like adult child like rivalries. Like I just fucking love that because like, from the adults perspective, it makes no goddamn sense that you would hate a kid this much.
Speaker 4: Yes, but like, but like somehow you do.
Speaker 5: My like my child, like the child I hate who were no longer a child. But the child I used to hate who was moving around in the world was Mattie Ziggler from Dance Moms.
Speaker 4: Yes, mom, I used to Oh my god, I hated her and she.
Speaker 3: Didn't want to get famous.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she's She was the one who danced with Sea for a bit that one. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But anyway, I love when adults hate children's to do.
Speaker 1: Can they? Oh yeah, you get really you almost you get itchy when that happens, Like, why is no one disciplining this? Because I remember that I want to watch this movie?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, how are you kid? You want to see ten?
Speaker 2: Nobody's watching the kitchen and it's like not like they're forty seven kids and she's getting bust in the shuffle.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's actually the only one who has kids.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, she's until until Sad and Patrick get Gus, who is king of the world. So how do you think the other little boy cousin feels here in that oh Gus king of the world. Well you can't do this to say, man.
Speaker 5: Listen, but they have this and had to make sure that the that the other brown person in the cast didn't feel left out.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we'll get there. So Meredith and Everett they're on their way. They're in the car. She's starting the throat clearing tick. Yeah, that apparently she does.
Speaker 1: You're going back before they even get there?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, well because I have a point. So she does this throat clearing thing every time she gets nervous, and Everett seems to like this because every time she starts clearing her throat he gets this little smile at the corner of his mouth and he goes, you know, everything's gonna be fine. You don't have to worry. It's like that's a language that he understands or something. But then at the same time, they pull up to the house and she stops and she looks up at the house and he goes, oh, yeah, they're all looking at you. Why would you do that to someone? You allegedly like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he doesn't like her part because also has he never noticed how awful she is. She kept you from doing the one thing you wanted to do in Japan, and now ed you want to marry her with Grandma's ring.
Speaker 4: But listen, but also.
Speaker 5: Like, yes, Meredith is terrible, and also so are you and your fucking whole family.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's no good guys.
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 2: Well is close. Ben is close. I'm saying that because I'm hot for him.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get there.
Speaker 5: But like, yeah, see, like I have a difficult time absolving Ben only because or principally because this movie is so infuriating when you actually sit and watch it, because it's like, none of us is the supposed to raise a single eyebrow that these siblings just did a fucking sibling.
Speaker 4: Swab, thank you, and like and none of us thank you. You're supposed to think that this is like that, this is.
Speaker 2: Weird, This is weird, weird and marrying sisters.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get there, because that's that's an important part to bring up. I argue that actually the only one who's worth the damn is Thad because he sidized everybody the entire time and Patrick, but A he's not related to nobody, and B he knows firsthand how terrible they are because he had to go through this. In fact, I want to see the movie where he had to deal with Amy when he was new.
Speaker 2: Well, now, here's a second, and I'm not the saddest. Sad is clearly Sybil's favorite, which is like just the way she lights up, which he greets him when he comes in, Like, clearly this kid is her face. And and I have a soft spot for Susannah only because we share the same movie and the same point in our favorite movie. And you know yourself a merry little Christmas, which as you know, is the big saving grace in everything.
Speaker 5: Right, So yeah, I mean, but but I but listen, I also think that so there's something I think it was really interesting and important for the point that you just made, Kathy, that that that is the first kid to arrive. And I think that there is a way like because I'm not certain that the pecking order of children isn't the order like for for Sybil, isn't the way that we get introduced to them in the film could be?
Speaker 1: But that was first and here is the oldest.
Speaker 5: Right because because well, at the house, I mean arriving at the house. Yeah, I mean arriving at the house, because I think Tad was least to arrive at the house.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, not Tad Everett is the last.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I mean because I don't even think that, Like, I don't think mom. I don't think Mom likes Everett all that much.
Speaker 2: No, no, she doesn't. She could not wait to go married this awful woman just before she dies.
Speaker 3: To make up to mommy, I wrote she could not wait to tell him now about that ring. She couldn't wait. She was sitting there. We think she was sitting there pondering her face. No, she wasit in there, rocking back and forth, waiting for the moment to arrive for her to say, no, you ain't getting this ring.
Speaker 1: And she says, And when he's you know, he's like, come on, you promise, And she's like, I don't care. I don't give a ship and you know, think about how I feel, right, I love that?
Speaker 3: So okay, so Everett Meredith. They get to the house. Ben gets to the house. Everyone's there. They're all greeting everyone. Meredith does not know how to act. She tries to shake everyone's hand like they're at a business meeting. She gets pulled into a hug and it's like it's painting her. She can't take it. And so they're, uh, you know, can I try the shoes? Yeah, you have nice shoes. I don't know how to take compliments, And then we get to she thinks it's wrong. Despite the fact that all indications are true that she can be in the room with her boyfriend, she thinks it's wrong. So instead of being in the bedroom with Everett, she kicks Amy out of her fierce attic bedroom right so that she can be up there. Yes, Amy, I already don't like her. She went in a five minute Dia tried about how she can't stand the first time she met her, And so they're up there making up the bed to make her comfortable. She gets a phone call from her sister.
Speaker 1: And kicks them out of their room.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, And.
Speaker 5: This is actually one of the ways that I.
Speaker 4: Actually dislike this movie. Okay, because.
Speaker 5: Meredith is not a real person in the sense that well, nobody like but I I know, but like, but nobody who has achieved that amount of career success doesn't understand how to pantomime human interaction.
Speaker 3: This human suit is itchy, right, yes, yes, yes, so my.
Speaker 5: Like but but like, but but like, no person for whom the human suit is itchy doesn't know how to act like.
Speaker 4: The human suit isn't itchy?
Speaker 5: Yes, right to have reached the because because Meredith is a VP, s VP director something right, Yeah, which means that she's been in this game long enough to both be a ball buster to her to her employees and say I don't give a shit about Christmas game my ship right, right, and how to shake hands and kiss babies with the EVPs who can give her promotions, correct, and that and so and so. The act, the notion that she can't behave with these horrible humans is kind of insulting.
Speaker 1: It is. And that's the first thing that doesn't make sense when they ask her one goddamn question and she answers it for what seems like an hour and a half all night, Yeah, all night, in the car, getting the pizza, bringing the pizza back, She's still talking. And that level of obtuse. You're exactly right, would not exist in a person who had attained that level of success.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And notice she's only ever comfortable when she's talking about herself until and at the same time, we learned, don't ask her a question that could be answered with a story chill, Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Which right? But which doesn't. It's the first thing I think that really truly makes no sense well, because it's that.
Speaker 3: And then later on when she's showing Patrick how to make the strata, that's another comfortable moment. But then I also think that she is most comfortable around Patrick because he's the only one that truly understands her point of view because he's been where she is, like the outsider.
Speaker 2: I understand what you're saying. But then when she behaves that way at that dinner, he says, rightfully, I think, boss, I think we got hit too tough. So when he doesn't understand or he's not willing to understand or cutter some slack on any level.
Speaker 3: After that, we'll get to which we'll get to. We're going to get to the dinner.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 2: Hold on, okay, you know, can I just say the one thing I am going to say about the dinner and get it out of my system. The Bride War Black is a very good movie. Just if you all get a chance to see it, it is worth seeing.
Speaker 1: I still don't know the movie. I still have not ever.
Speaker 2: I think it's too funny.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought the title was The Bride War African American.
Speaker 3: That's not what they call it in the sound anyway. So we're almost there actually, so everyone's been there for a while. Now we're playing charades were so we're actually there.
Speaker 2: Which totally normal people do all the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is before Okay, okay, it's the way.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, I have to like, I have to come back to something that struck me that I was like, that's a fucking.
Speaker 4: Weird thing to say.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: So Luke Wilson, when he first meets Meredith, goes on about how like she reminds him of his second grade teacher. It's the book No Lip, and even as it's the no Lip thing, it's just like the fact that y'all gonna be fucking in like five minutes is weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, but he's a free spirit, don't you know. I mean, he says what he's thinking.
Speaker 4: I mean, listen.
Speaker 5: And also like they like and this is again, this is this movie is supposed to like, this movie doesn't want us to be like, hey, like this brother was fucking one sister and then that sister started fucking the other brother, so that brother started fucking her sister and now we're all like Christmas the next year together and like and that's okay, I know, and then this is not seven brides or seven brothers.
Speaker 3: Nope, nope, it's two brides for the same two brothers.
Speaker 1: We're still we just finished. Charles is gonna keep doing this. He's gonna keep going back to that list in order. So where we cleaned up pizza and we're playing charades, which I don't think I've ever actually done organically in my life.
Speaker 3: Organically no.
Speaker 5: Right, oh no, no, no, wait, no I played No, I was played Pictionary.
Speaker 1: Never mind, Well, yeah, I've done that.
Speaker 2: When it's like, hey, I'm saying they don't have cards against as someone who finally played her first cards against anybody game and it was Golden Girls. But yeah, they don't have Pictionary, they don't have Monopoly, they don't have they don't have any board games or anything like that. No, we have to play charades. So whoa who is the worst? I don't care what anybody else says. She is awful.
Speaker 3: It's hard to find a way to make Meredith look racist while playing a game of Monopoly, though.
Speaker 1: Right, that's true, it'll only go not impossible.
Speaker 2: No, it's not impossible at all.
Speaker 3: So they the first one we see is Billy don't be a hero, which the homosexuals get and by the way.
Speaker 2: I think it's a very and it wasn't that, Meredith, And they say it's not a very good clue. I think that is a great clue. And they got it, yeah, acted out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but apparently it's not something that they would normally have in their rotation. That's why they didn't think it was okay. So but now we know that Meredith is being set up because Amy's like, I've got a perfect one for you and digs through the basket and go here.
Speaker 4: That's that's also not how.
Speaker 5: Char works, like you pick one like you just like go in and you pick one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, normally right, but the setup and so you know, Meredith awkwardly acts out a couple of words and then when it gets to the clue black, she says she was not pointing at Patrick. But my whole thing is, then why was your arm in that posture?
Speaker 2: Because she does this stupid thing with her hand that.
Speaker 3: We never saw her do before.
Speaker 1: Half thinking and interacting is the idea behind it, which I think I've seen people do.
Speaker 4: And listen, i think I've seen her do that on Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: By the way, right, like like, yeah, you know, you're making a point there or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like because it's just like this.
Speaker 1: And hold it right, Hold on a second, I'm thinking about that. But see for a word like that seemed like a natural gesture. But of course Amy is the kid who would make that into something, whether it was or not right.
Speaker 3: But that would imply that she knew she was going to do something like that. Otherwise she wouldn't have handpicked that clue, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Maybe because she is we already learned in the beginning that Amy has examined this person enough to have the throat clearing thing and be an annoyance and mention it and so yeah.
Speaker 3: So Amy is basically like batman. You give her enough prep time, she can find a way to fuck you up in a game of charade six months later.
Speaker 1: And where that comes from bully because she's been bullied. She's the youngest child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, the family spoiled rotten, and that is not a child.
Speaker 4: Who was bullied.
Speaker 3: She doesn't come across someone that was bullied and you see him her head and okay, bullied.
Speaker 1: They didn't beat her up, but yeah.
Speaker 5: They picked on her as as the baby of a family. Amy was not bullied but Amy learned from the bullies there you go there and listen, and that's that that and that is how she has perfected and and sharpened the blade of her knife. So so well, okay, she's she's like, she's not like, she's not she's not been bullied, because the thing is is like when the chips are down, she can't take the bullying.
Speaker 1: Well because she has been All effort had to do was say enough out of you, and she backed right down and crumbled. And I've been that. I was the youngest.
Speaker 4: That's big, but that's big brother energy. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't say bully.
Speaker 1: But it's also like, oh.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't get that reading.
Speaker 4: Like I think.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: I think she's the bully because she was the baby and they let her get away with.
Speaker 2: Everything, right, and she still let her get away with everything. That was a shitty thing she did to Meredith, and nobody's willing really ever, was is one place you could actually say, Amy, that's a lot, you know.
Speaker 1: And that would have been the thing to say, should have been apologized for. And we don't even touch that as something that warrants an apology. We don't we just move forward? Right? We move forward in the story, so because where I'm going is when Craig tin Nelson starts apologizing. But we haven't gotten there yet, oh chaw, so you're like, what the fuck are you sorry for?
Speaker 3: Meredith freaks out that she was called a racist, because you know, the worst thing is to be called a racist. It's more, it's worse than being a racist. Apparently, she runs from the room, and Everett is like, basically like, what's your problem? Calmed down, she says, she's not a completely ridiculous person. I think that's debatable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she actually is at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about the characters portray right, it is completely ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I wrote down the line when she's trying to like she says that you're already looking at me the way they look at me. And she says, I don't want you to be a good guy who got caught up in something and couldn't find the break. Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. Yes, I think that's what this is because on paper, they belong together. There's no actual reason for them to not be together except he don't really like her because she sees he sees her do these things, like he sees her on the phone, he sees how she deals with people, but it hasn't hit home literally yet, which we're going to see in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Because he doesn't understand how much of a mama's boy he truly is. She is Sybil hm hm. Meredith is Sibyl and that's what because why else would he be attracted to her. There's nothing attractive about Meredith.
Speaker 1: I think on paper, I think it wasn't on paper thing.
Speaker 5: But yeah, because see listen, I think that like on paper, Meredith is actually very attractive in the sense of like, oh, you've got this, like this very well accomplished, you know, business woman who can who can be like, you know, the the great date that I can take to like a dinner party with the with the partners, like it all, like it all like Meredith makes sense on paper.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, and ever it's running for mayor of something, right, which is anment and close the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's and that's the other thing that we see during that charade scene. Everybody keeps pointing up until that point at the ties your ties crooked, like because we get the impression he doesn't wear a tie.
Speaker 3: That God Damni seems.
Speaker 1: Much more casual. But with her, he's being very more, much more formal, which.
Speaker 2: Is making them hate her even more.
Speaker 1: Even more because he's being himself.
Speaker 5: But like, but that, And the thing is, though, is in some ways it's like it might not actually be her fault that he's this way. This might be him like social climbing and making himself into something that he's not possible because he wants the social climb, right.
Speaker 3: Or maybe rebelling away from the the lucy goosiness of the family's morals or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're rich, lucy goosey. If they were if they were like, if this was jd Vance, you know, he'll let's not go there.
Speaker 1: That's not good work.
Speaker 3: No, So I think it's are we at the dinner now we can be sure? Did she? Did she go to the inn before or after the dinner?
Speaker 1: Before?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Before? Right away?
Speaker 3: Okay? So after? So this moment with the with the charades is what sends her over the edge and she can't be around the family anymore. She's got to go to the inn and call her sister Julie as backup, which also makes no goddamn sense.
Speaker 5: So I mean, like all around, like, it makes no sense that she would call her. It makes no sense that Julie would do.
Speaker 1: It, right that part, drop everything like grow up or leave?
Speaker 3: I love how earlier when when after she kicked everyone out of the room to talk to Julie and she was talking about how it's awkward, apparently Julie says to you being herself, being yourself, and she goes, of course I'm being myself, And I'm like, maybe she's saying, the problem could be that you're being yourself.
Speaker 1: You tried not except we have the whole one eighty right after her. Right, so, well, all we've wanted to talk about is a goddamn dinner scene. Now let's talk about Wait.
Speaker 5: Wait, I need to pause because like, because Julie also has again a a sort of quintessential, we don't need to know anything else about her entrance. So like, so listen because she like she is, oh my god, what's that woman? Uh, she's she's Jennifer. She show shows up as Jennifer Lawrence. So the hot girl, like the hot clumsy girl, and so like because because of course, like of course, like she we get we get the the the string music, and the movie star. We get the movie star shot, and then we get stumble stumble bam and like and and like and so now she's relatable mm hmm, and now we want to root.
Speaker 1: For her and everyone loves and she's real and he just automatically feels the chemistry when he just looks at her. And this is right after now, because he was ring shopping with Fad because Mom's not going to give the ring, and Fad winds up saying, don't do it. You don't love her. That's the first time we hear that is in the jewelry store, when Thaddeus is like, don't do this thing. And then they go and pick her up, and you know, he's like, right.
Speaker 3: And I love how she fell off the bus and scraped her little knee and the entire family is fawning all over her and giving her peroxide and band aids. Had it been Meredith, I wrote, she could have been missing a leg and on fire. They might have given her a damp.
Speaker 4: They wouldn't have even spin on her to put her out.
Speaker 3: But they everyone working shoe anywhere.
Speaker 1: And I feel like I feel like there's an element of or what we're supposed to correct me if I'm wrong, but that we're supposed to derive this idea that if you're not real to this family, they'll they'll eat you alive, right, Like if they perceive performance, so they perceive that you're putting on airs? Is that it? Then they just want nothing to do with you because they're so real.
Speaker 2: But listen, but the youngest daughter's cherry and you are welcomed on business day.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she love Ben Sylvil loves Ben Ben bread bread bread.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think, like the thing I think is also really like fascinating. Part of the reason why this family is like that family is just so fucking terrible and like is because like it's like they so like if we take this notion that they dislike anyone who's like putting on airs, but it's like, y'all don't know this woman, and how do you know that she's actually putting on airs and that this isn't actually how she is, right and so like, so who are y'all to determine that she's putting on airs? And secondarily, like, if Everett actually loves her, don't y'all love him enough to actually act like people with some fucking sense.
Speaker 1: No, yep, no, because they have listen's wrong for him.
Speaker 5: Listen, and that's why the second that they actually like were mistreating Meredith, me and Meredith would have been out, yes.
Speaker 3: Right right, Which as how you know that he doesn't really like her, right, yeah, because he's.
Speaker 5: But also he don't really like himself either, because he allows himself true fair to be, to be disrespected by his family and quite frankly, to disrespect. Listen, even if I don't like Meredith, I bought Meredith here, and y'all disrespected somebody I bought here, This is true.
Speaker 3: And he says that you're not wrong.
Speaker 8: Yeah, as they're leaving for the end, he does, but he has to be pushed to the edg Yes, right, yes he does, and yeah he's not that attractive, okay.
Speaker 1: And then so we make it to this dinner scene.
Speaker 3: Well wait, so, well this is important because Julie comes after she's been at the inn and Ben is showing his penis to her when he hands her the coffee in the car. He comes out with the gray sweatpants, thrusting his crotch at the window as he's getting her the coffee.
Speaker 2: Favorite cup and favorite mug uh huh, you know hates her already.
Speaker 3: This is also after the dinner is also after she is Meredith is making the strata in the kitchen with Patrick, right. It's important because when Julie does make it, she's like, so, wait, you're cooking? Why am I here? Again?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Like everything is chill, everything is cool. So this is an indication of Meredith being a ridiculous person.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. And she says I needed my sister. That's like her thing, and then it's okay, down to dinner.
Speaker 2: They're in a world where FaceTime and telephones don't exist.
Speaker 4: Exactly, but listen, but listen. But also.
Speaker 5: This is the the only time y'all will ever hear me defend Meredith. Although I think I defended her in the early side. I mean a Meredith a Meredith stand anyway. But one of the ways that I will defend Meredith is that I can also kind of understand being in this extraordinarily hostile environment and being like, my sister is my security blanket.
Speaker 4: I need my fucking security blanket.
Speaker 1: Sure, okay, but then.
Speaker 2: You go to her, then you say, okay, look, I can't deal with this anymore. Ef it I'm going to go visit my sister. You want to come, we.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't have had a movie to ever come to the end. Well, she does come to the end. That's what she does. It's she's there to spend this time with Everett.
Speaker 3: And luckily she came just in time for them to have dinner. Are you happy? You like how I did that?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Now this is pivotal. This is the pivotal time. We're at the dinner table. Yeah, And Julie asks a question that I don't know, what do you think of Julie's question because she no one took any offense, all right, So she asks that do you care about the race of the baby that you know you're adopting, right, which.
Speaker 3: And Meredith is like shocked and appalled that she wouldn't even say the word race and you know that and Patrick are just like, no, we just we want to have a baby. You want to have a healthy baby that we can love and that it doesn't matter a tough not a problem. And then for some reason this makes Nose makes Meredith feel the need to ask a question about nature versus nurture. Be right, you know the gay thing?
Speaker 2: These are the first gay people she has ever encountered, this woman who lives in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: And that's what that part, no sense that part, And so Sybil is like, oh I wish all my children were gay. Look at these curtains. Obviously this is not the environment.
Speaker 1: But see, I think Julie's question is just as inappropriate. Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 2: I didn't think it's well enough to ask such a personal.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean, you know, I don't I don't remember what wait, what does Julie ask?
Speaker 1: Because I got so fixated, do you have a preference as to the race of the band?
Speaker 2: And and what are they going to say?
Speaker 1: They're perfectly fine answering that, well, exactly what. That's what I mean, Like, well, yes, you know, we actually do what It's a stupid question, but but I.
Speaker 5: Think that that's part of the the idea that from the first, like from the first key stroke of the script, Meredith is supposed.
Speaker 4: To be the villain.
Speaker 5: Yes, and listen, and let's also like and I'm gonna like I'm slightly jumping the gun. But like when we actually start to play out the sort of dual romance stories, the one between Everett and Julie, is played much differently than the one between Meredith and Ben True and and and Sarah. At the time, Sarah Jessica Parker is the bigger fucking star.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and because we're still We're still in Sex and the City Popularity.
Speaker 1: Except had top billing.
Speaker 4: No, Claire Danst No, No, they win in alpha order. Yeahs alpha it's alpha order. Listen and.
Speaker 5: Here yeah, because listen, because when I saw Claire Danes's name first, I was like, I beg your pardon, okay, And it's it's an alpha order.
Speaker 3: I mean, I like Claire Danes more like Saraesica Parker. But yeah, it's probably alphabetical.
Speaker 1: Order because I was like, huh, maybe I didn't know something here, okay, But.
Speaker 3: But Sarah Jessica park I'm sorry, but Meredith, just like she also lacks the ability to shut the fuck up. Yeah, because it's very obvious that her question about nature versus nurture is is offensive. She keeps going with, I can't believe you would actually wish for gay children. Why would you want your kids to be challenged like that, to which Thad given good Shade goes, I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what.
Speaker 1: You said, yeah, I didn't hear you. But the two of them, though, and that's what I'm saying, why does one? To me, they're both offensive questions, and to me they point to the kinds of questions. I mean that people feel entitled to ask of those that they other fair.
Speaker 5: But but I also think that this is partly like if we if we want to sort of step all the way out the ways that the industry understand Sarah Jisca Parker versus Claire Danes, is that Claire Danes is the beautiful one, and Sara Jisca Parker has never necessarily been understand stood as beautiful. And so there's a kind of latitude fair which I was giving her, like that we give beautiful people that we don't give people we don't consider.
Speaker 2: Beautiful if a girl isn't pretty, but the Misatlantic city, you have a.
Speaker 3: Point because apparently I fell into that trap too, because I'm like, I wasn't offended by that question, but you know, in in the in the moment I might have had answer.
Speaker 2: I'm not offended by the question. I'm offended by a word. She says, which one the N word?
Speaker 3: Normal?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's mm hmm, that's oh, that's not I'm offended. Okay, just to back up, we're talking about Julie's question I found equally offensive and it lies. Then Meredith's question is yes, the normal thing, the you know, because you know they're joking around, and she says, I wanted all my kids to be and well, no one would want that.
Speaker 3: Why would you want kids be challenged like that? You would want you would want a normal kid.
Speaker 5: And also and also, and I keep beating this fucking dad horse, but but Sarah, Jessica Parker or I'm sorry, Meredith, not just me. Meredith cannot get to the point in her career she is at out knowing how to navigate that conversation.
Speaker 1: I would it makes no sense to even bring that up. Are you concerned at all about bringing a child into the thatsth what?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But why wouldn't we bring it? Why wouldn't we bring it in? I mean, he's answering, well, but it's like it's very hard to yes, that would not happen a parson.
Speaker 5: I mean, but I mean, but listen, but it is also like it is also like the script is written by what I assume because I didn't look. But like, which is like a like a cishead liberal person who is sort of writing, like writing through the ways that they understand conservatism to function, right, Okay, And I mean, and listen, listen to like to take like to take it all the way there.
Speaker 4: It's why the fuck.
Speaker 5: We're where we are right now is because liberals have a fundamental fucking misunderstanding of how conservatism works.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 5: Okay, And also listen, we're also here because y'all don't listen to white people, don't listen to black people. But that's true, right, And the fear of being called a racist is much than being a racist exactly right, because racism is just burning crosses on the front lawn and clan hoods.
Speaker 3: And if it's not that, then it's not racism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, But we digress.
Speaker 1: But we're at dinner right.
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 1: Are we saying that that character, that the Meretith character is the conservative?
Speaker 4: Is that what I think that?
Speaker 5: No, I think that there is there is a way that the when the film wants to introduce a kind of conservativism into the universe, it is through the It is through the liberalness of the writer. And we must always already put that on Meredith because we are supposed to hate Meredith, and as liberals, we are supposed to hate conservatism and conservative ideals and listen, and Jesus already created Will and Grace in nineteen ninety eight, so that fixed homophobia.
Speaker 3: Right, it's true, but we're still three years away from Obama fixing racism.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I get it. So but yeah, so I don't understand. Here's the next thing I don't understand, okay, is she doesn't stop talking. She causes the upset with her words. Uh huh, not their responses. I'm sorry. Their responses make sense, yeah, given what she just spewed.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 1: She says thanks a lot to Everett. What the fuck was he supput? Because he said, why don't you try saying what you do mean?
Speaker 3: Right, which, well, she tried to get Patrick to back her up. She was like, Shirley Patrick, you must understand.
Speaker 4: Like as the as the negro in the room, exactly right.
Speaker 3: And that's when he says, well, boss, it looks like we've been hit twice. And he made sure to sign that ship, dude, right, And yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Like I don't understand, you know, and ever it's mad now, evert's mad at the family, right for what I never understand for.
Speaker 4: What I think he's mad.
Speaker 5: Retrospectively, so so so listen, so listen. It is okay, so here it is, so listen. I am this person, which is to say, I'm the I'm a little teapot. And what I mean by that is that I don't scream immediately, I boil, I boil, I boil, and then I get all steamed up and hear me shout okay. So I don't think metaphor Everett was mad at that situation. I think that was the cherry on top of the ship Sunday, Yes, there go.
Speaker 2: Yes. I also think because we saw his trophies, we know he has a great job. He is the eldest, he's supposed to get the ring as being the oldest, so he has had it easy, as his mother is gonna say to him very shortly. And I think he just thought it was going to be easy for Everett to come home, introduce Meredith, and his mother was going to get cured because of it, and all kinds of good things were going to happen because Everett's had a charmed life, right, yeah, No.
Speaker 3: So Meredith is a wreck because so that no one loves her.
Speaker 1: You know, that didn't happen yet they go off to the bar and suddenly we see this whole other version of her.
Speaker 5: Okay, listen in the theme of nothing fucking makes sense in this movie. All it takes is the uptight city girl to have the hippie from San Francisco like to take her to a dive bar, and all of a sudden get right back to where we started from as her jam and she like she's dancing to it in her pencil skirt, like are we kidding?
Speaker 2: The bun is still up the room with her boyfriend. She's too uptight for that.
Speaker 1: But all of a sudden, exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: But but but I think I think we've already yes, because she's had the car. She's she's wrecked the car because also a city girl can't drive, but somehow but somehow ever it can but she can't.
Speaker 4: But they both live in the city. But got it. But but also from from that is actually where in the car crash is where her like.
Speaker 5: We start to see some whispyes, and so by the time by the time she's at the bar karaoke, we've got the metaphorical whispies, right.
Speaker 3: Sure, well that's my whole thing. It's like, okay, So she gets to the bar, she's with Ben, She's got a couple of drink centers, she laughing, right, So does that mean we're supposed to like her now because it don't work.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden she trusts people, Well, you're supposed to see that around the where there is chemistry around that. You know, a good match brings out the realness in a person's I think what we're supposed to see.
Speaker 2: Then she should have matched with Brad because when they were dancing, they felt more comfortable than any other couples to say I've seen so far.
Speaker 3: And also, so that just means that Ben is just okay with the fact that you know, she's out there talking about his gay brother. It's his brother too.
Speaker 1: I know that I wouldn't want to be.
Speaker 4: Sitting because they're all awful. Well.
Speaker 1: But so while that's happening, you know, we've got Everett walking around looking for her and and trying to spend as much time as he possibly can with Julie, and you know, Julie sends him away. Craig gen Nelson shows up. I just I'm here to apologize for what exactly you said enough because this person was disrespecting your family right in an ugly way, and you spoke up to end it, probably later than you should have, and now you're there to put you. You left home to go over to the hotel to apologize it. This bit, what's that about?
Speaker 4: It is only so that, like so that she can run to the door thinking it was ever happened?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess, but but also there are families and there are people and I'll say the Italian word for it, Dulcimore, that's my second family. It's not whether you're right or wrong. You got upset, you made a fuss, the situation made a fuss.
Speaker 5: Okay, So it's very waspy in that way, very very yes, okay, you weren't polite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry that the whole You know, just well, look who he's married to. Don't you think he goes around saying I'm sorry to people an awful lot because maybe you know, Sybil has has alienated a few more people. She wasn't real nice to the Patrick at first. No, Amy wasn't nice to past never mind first.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I like that's one of the many things that made no sense to me.
Speaker 3: Right, and then we're actually skipping a major chunk of the story. We haven't talked about how the family is reacting to First of all, whether or not they know that Sybil is sick. Well, I was getting there when they found out. Okay, go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I was getting Okay.
Speaker 3: And if I'm out of order, well no, because this is sprinkled throughout all of these things happening.
Speaker 7: Yes, we're getting to the juicy Shitcause.
Speaker 5: Wait, because I have a question about the scene where Susana goes to get in bed with Diane Diane Keaton on this because like, and oh gosh, and I can't remember what she's I think she says like how many people know where well knows who else knows? And and so because and like that was a moment where I was like, oh, so, like it feels like the children understand, like know what's going on even though there's not been a conversation about it.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so they knew she was sick because the Sanah knew it. And then I know we okay, so we learn when she opens her blouse to her husband or her top, we learned that you know she's had a mastectom No, that's but.
Speaker 2: That's that's later, that's later, that's Christmas.
Speaker 1: I understand that. But but we learned from that point in the movie they knew before she's been through treatment. What they don't realize is it's back Ben.
Speaker 2: But Kelly tells Ben or Ben says, and he does when in the stands, yeah, huh, she's mom's worst.
Speaker 5: Isn't Yeah, it's not Yeah, he says, it's not good and okay, and then.
Speaker 2: He says, she wanted to wait until after the holidays to tell you kids. You aren't going to let you children go through like not knowing living a lodge days? How about getting to get how about operating as a family and getting through it together.
Speaker 3: I think he wanted Sybil to have a good Christmas, and I.
Speaker 1: Think she wanted it to feel normal. That made complete sense to me, And I have lived through this scenario with with folks who said, I'm not bringing you know, I have a dire diagnosis. I'm not doing that. I'm not bringing that to Christmas. You know, we'll deal with it come January. And so that made perfect sense to me because I've seen it play out. You know where it's like, we're going to have I really want this normal or I really want this not as a character in the in the story because of how everyone gets you know when, because one of the conversations we got into last night is you know, Ben comes back and he is high because they were getting high and eating brownies. And then you know, Dad, there's this information.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the Berniees that were passing a bowl.
Speaker 1: B oh, I thought they were eating too, I thought anyway and smoking. But anyway, they come back and she says, you know, did you have fun getting high with daddy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So the look in what's her name in Amy's face that Amy was suspecting something.
Speaker 3: Right, that was what I said. He's hugging his mother and she's hugging him, and then she gets a look on her face and then Amy comes in and is like, what's going on? So that's when she pulls him away from her and goes, did you have a good time getting high? Amy? Off the scent.
Speaker 2: They all have it hanging over their head that they went through this with her already, as we will see during have yourself merry little Christmas?
Speaker 1: Ye, And that's right. So that's I mean, we know that that's all happened before. It's not. This is not the new information is it's back right, and it is you know, that plays a character in this whole thing.
Speaker 2: And I have to say, I told you I watched this especially last night to kind of remind myself why I truly love this movie. And those moments of Diane Keaton at the beginning when she gets at the ornament and the tree, the reflective moments and the quiet moments that Diane Keaton gives in this movie are incredible, right, because it's like the core that's the heart of this movie is this woman is looking at her last Christmas with her children.
Speaker 3: That parton, yeah, looking at the snow outside at the end, you know, yeah, she wants to memorize it. She wants to hold on to It's the last one she's going to see.
Speaker 1: And that's right. And you know, I do think you know that that character, the illness being that character, that her impending demise leaving this family, are they going to be okay? You know? And her concern over that, I think is another character in the movie, Like the tension whatever it is because of that, Like I don't want to see him married to somebody who's I know that's not going to work out. I know my kids is the the thing there, and yet like I know my kids, I want you know, hey, Brad's still in town, he's still single, because right, because.
Speaker 2: I'm a controlling pain in the ass who's not going to be able to control you much better.
Speaker 1: That would be the while I let.
Speaker 2: The puppet master, not wrong, pull her strings while she's still town.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the charitable way to look at that would be she is a mother who really knows who her kids are.
Speaker 5: And you know, I also listen. But also on the one hand, listen, I'm not a child. I'm sorry, I'm not I don't have children rather, and I'm not a parent. But also like, as a parent, do you really know, like who's best for your child as a partner, like as a romantic.
Speaker 1: I think you know who's not sure? Absolutely you know? You Yes? As a parent, yes, you do.
Speaker 3: You know whether or not say something is a different thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You may not necessarily be able to pick the partner, of course, but to sit there and say this is not going to work, you know, because I know who my kid is, and my kid's going to walk all over that person and never respect them. Sure, yeah, absolutely, like bad, bad match or a good match, because I see the chemistry at work.
Speaker 3: So let's sprinkle in a couple of moments because we we got to get to the end. So okay, So Brad who popped Dames Cherry shows up at the bar. Yeah, and so now Meredith is like, oh my god, you're Brad Stevenson, the one who popped Dame is Cherry. I'm going to buy the house around and I'm inviting you to Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of a sudden, Yeah, because.
Speaker 3: You know you don't like these people, which you can invite people over to the house.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so he's one of the family already. And yet, yeah, we get to Everett, I can't marry you in a few minutes.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, which was so juicy. This is actually where I came. That's actually where I came in the first time I saw the movie. But anyway, all right, so wait, when do we get to the part where Sybil actually does give every the ring.
Speaker 2: We're not pasted to meet me in Saint Louis yet I.
Speaker 1: Think we jumped past it, didn't we that that happened that night? So uh, that night.
Speaker 2: Because he's looking at the ring. No, it's the other ring. It's he's looking at the box the ring he bought. That's right, while the song is on.
Speaker 3: So Meredith and benmore drunk. She sleep slept in the bed, he slept on the.
Speaker 1: Floor, right, Patrick and Fad went back to the end.
Speaker 3: Where it was safe, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so it's in the morning when she does give him the ring. It's your ring, it's your decision. But that's when they have that that that morning, Whenever and Sybil have that heart to heart like you can't fix it, right, I am thick and you can't fix that.
Speaker 2: Another one of those moments where I absolutely love her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good acting on both of their parts. Him like holding back his sobs while trying to like listen to her and agree with her and everything. So he has the ring the family stone mm hmm and walks Julie. Yeah, and he has to try on the ring and he goes, come here, puts the ring on her fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is so fucking strange.
Speaker 4: Listen, listen.
Speaker 5: It is the only line in this whole movie that felt like it came from a truly real place was when Amy was like, why would you do that?
Speaker 3: Exactly why? I want to see it on your right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the Julie has the ring on, she can't get it.
Speaker 1: Off because he's following his heart. Now, that's what doesn't make it less creepy. She's struggling to get the ring off. Sybil is like, I know this sounds terrible. Please can we like be careful with the setting?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Julie runs into the bathroom. Then Meredith comes in and she's like, what's going on? Julie's in the bathroom. She goes in the bathroom, Julie shows her the ring.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: And she's like, what is that? It's your wedding ring? Oh my god? And then wait why is it on your finger?
Speaker 2: Then she so can I just quibble for a second as long you know it's not your wedding ring, it's your engagement ring?
Speaker 3: I know, fair enough?
Speaker 1: Yeah I had that and they kept saying wedding ring, and I'm like, really, that's not a wedding ring, that's not even the two together engagement.
Speaker 3: Theoretically, he would have had to like give her the ring that he bought, and then the wedding room be the family stone and you put the two together anyway, and this is the.
Speaker 1: Part where you say to me, it's not a documentary.
Speaker 3: Now. This is also after Meredith wakes up in Ben's bed and this automatically assumed that he had sex just there's no question because of course, why wouldn't he because.
Speaker 1: This or why wouldn't she because she knew she wanted to and she doesn't really remember.
Speaker 2: But this little fluozy who would not sleep in the same room as her boyfriend Dudstone's house, thinks she slept with his.
Speaker 1: Because she's following her heart now that and that's who she really is, and that's who she really.
Speaker 3: Because if you'll notice, when she's in the bathroom with Julie and she doesn't say but alludes to the fact that she has sex with Ben, she has this look on her face like she is so proud of herself for being bad and naughty and.
Speaker 5: Julie soap Oh yeah yeah, because Julie also like has a reaction that is that that seems to make it feel like either like Estella's getting her groove back, or.
Speaker 1: Or that like.
Speaker 4: Either Stella's getting her groove back, or like, oh, this is my ice Princess sister kind of unthawing a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh, I totally read it as ill you ho.
Speaker 1: That's but is it you ho again? Like you wonder like?
Speaker 5: But also I mean also like Julie, I'm gonna need you to keep all your fucking stones in your pocket because you've finish fuck her ex boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that is true, but at least because she's following her at least when that happens, Julie wasn't actively engaged to anyone or related to anybody, so that she's I think her and Ben, other than the fact that yes they are, you know, playing the same, they're the innocent ones more so than the other two.
Speaker 5: Well, listen, I'm not letting Ben off the hook. And that doesn't mean that I don't like him for Meredith, but I'm not letting him off the hook because the fact of the matter is is when you met this woman, you knew that she was fucking your brother and that still didn't stop you.
Speaker 1: Well, well, they had well, but they didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: They didn't do anything. Yet that night nothing didn't happen. Nothing happened, And that's what he says.
Speaker 1: He slept on the floor, she slept on the bed.
Speaker 5: Let me pretend for half a second that I have a gay brother, me and my gay brother, and never never, ever, ever, ever entertaining fucking the same person. Fair be we entertained and dating the same person we entertain in none of that fair.
Speaker 3: But again there is a little bit of day.
Speaker 1: Yeah it happens where you know, like, wasn't the right match.
Speaker 4: Here's quickly listen.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing is, if we change these people from wealthy white people to poor Latino people, we would think this was a god like, we would think this movie was the worst goddamn thing ever. You know, it is whiteness and wealth that makes this this specifically wopping.
Speaker 2: Okay, see the result of this at the end, after Sybil is gone. Sorry I'm skipping ahead, because there is still no chemistry going on there. They got their arms around each other, but nobody looks comfortable. Meredith certainly doesn't look any happier than she ever did.
Speaker 1: Oh, Elsie, I think she does.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think she's looking down and she's like, well, this is as good as it's gonna get.
Speaker 1: And I see that entirely the opposite, Like she's finally relaxed and with who she's supposed to be with, which I feel like she's in a bond a little sad.
Speaker 3: But we're skipping past the park where I came in, so we're we're in the middle of opening presence. Brad comes over. Oh my goodness, what are you doing here? Hey, Amy, I want to show you something. He gives her a Christmas gift that she loves. Okay, I'm skipping. I'm getting them out of the way. So Everett wants to talk to Meredith. Do we know about.
Speaker 2: Gives the presence out right?
Speaker 3: Meredith gives the presence out, so that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, We've had the moment of confusion right with Craig seeing her in the bed right then she smacks him thinking they slept together.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh, she says to her sister, I just got here, even though she just came upstairs, right, she's a lying hoey.
Speaker 1: To But don't Is it straightened out yet by the time she gives out the gifts, No, no.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 3: No, she gives out the presence. It's a beautiful picture. Yeah, because we still have to have because the nutcracker, right, it happened to get I'm trying to get there so she gives. She gives everyone in the family of presidents and they each get a framed photo of Sybil pregnant with Amy. She thought it was it was ever, it doesn't matter. Everyone's having their own individual reaction to the photo.
Speaker 2: Nobody is just a normal gracious like.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you, like well, no, Amy is starting to break down. He wants to apologize to to Meredith like she had that moment and and Sybil, I think this is the best it's going to get looked at her and said you did good. That's the best. You go and get out of her.
Speaker 2: That was high praising roll control control.
Speaker 1: So then Everett wants to pull Meredith aside for what for some reason, she's assuming he wants to under think he I think he actually wants to say, you know, maybe we should break up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think he's got to jump in a second. Has the ring fallen off the rotten kids finger yet, because that's not the thing.
Speaker 3: No, not get there yet. No, okay, and so yeah, so Everett wants to pull her aside to tell her presumably he wants to break up, and she cutting him off, saying no, we can, we need to talk. And then finally she jumps in, now, I'm not going to marry you presumptuous again well, and then he goes because I didn't.
Speaker 1: She was told she was from here. Right, here's the bring he's about to propose you with that. It's right here, So it's not a it's not presumptuous. Get slash.
Speaker 3: This is where Charles reads this this movie through I hate Sara Jessica Parker also that okay, you're probably right okay, and then he looks at her and goes, I didn't ask. But and this is again, this is where I came in on this movie. My first time seeing this movie started with her giving out the photos the gifts. So then this whole thing with I didn't ask. I was like, oh, this is juicy.
Speaker 1: So then and then this is when she says, right, I know what you all think of me, and up with his brother.
Speaker 3: Isn't this the moment you've all been waiting for?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Isn't this the moment you've all been waiting for, I know what you think of me?
Speaker 1: When then she comes and sleeps with his brother, and then Ben says, wait a minute, we did not sleep together. So that should be the end of it. There's no reason forever to be upset whatsoever with Ben. Nothing happened and.
Speaker 9: You were about to break anyway, exactly Colling, Because that's again one thing that never made sense to me, this whole scene, the whole thing that ensues.
Speaker 1: At this point in the movie. I'm like, why, right, what you mad about?
Speaker 3: Also, I did have to write down because you say, I know what you see, Meredith, the spoiled, crazy, racist, bigot bitch from Medford. That's what you all think. And I'm like, I do, I think, you do? I think?
Speaker 1: And that's later is like the.
Speaker 5: Thing, that little bit, the thing that annoys me about this whole thing, Like, this whole bit is that Sarah Jessica Parker slash Meredith then spends the rest of Christmas Day in that fucking Eggy t show.
Speaker 4: Thank You, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, how long has she been wearing rotten eggs?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh my god, oh my god? But so so yeah, so to me, it's it should be over right, it should be.
Speaker 3: But then Everett's mad at Ben, even though he already just said nothing happened. I don't know why he's mad or why he's chasing him around the room to the tune of the Russian Dancer and the Nutcracker, and you were just about to break up with her, right and then you and this is after we dumped the strata on poor Meredith and Amy slips in it there all of a sudden, now this.
Speaker 2: Movie becomes it's a mad, mad, mad mad All of a sudden, we got slapstick.
Speaker 5: But then but then but then it's but it's through the but it's through the slapstick that all of a sudden, now like Sybil and Amy light.
Speaker 4: Merriton, Yeah, they're all the right, like because like now that.
Speaker 5: She's got you know, egg on her shirt and they've slipped and slid slidden around in egg shit on the floor, right then now we can all be friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of And.
Speaker 2: Meredith says the truest words in this whole movie, Amy, you're the worst.
Speaker 3: Right, that's when Amy slips in. But it was like, why what's so great about you guys? Like nothing, We're just we're all we've got, ye.
Speaker 1: Right, And we're all we've got. And I think that that's truer words. Like I said, I've seen that family that at the end of the day, you know, they make whatever they make kind of work. Because yeah, they're their own system, right.
Speaker 2: Because none of these people have social skills.
Speaker 3: Apparently, including Everett and Ben who are wrestling under the table. They knocked the table.
Speaker 1: Again over what that's what makes like? What are we wrestling for?
Speaker 3: For no god reason?
Speaker 1: Either was there a scene that would have explained it all that we cut out? Or how do we wind up fighting when there's nothing to fight over?
Speaker 3: We had to get to this moment and Everett just needs to.
Speaker 5: Be no, listen, I think listen. I think that is a that I think that's that's a straight man thing like listen, and it is also but.
Speaker 4: It's also it's also a sibling thing where it's like like I don't want this toy, but you can't have it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: And you and I would agree with you if he didn't. Just nothing happened. There's nothing for you.
Speaker 5: But they got close enough that it could have that it could have and and and Meredith has let it be known that it got close enough that even she is not sure that it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Okay, although I read that more as like, well, of course it happened, why wouldn't it And it's st but you're doing that yeah, you're I'm owning it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's but I think like we're actually just saying that the same side of the of the coin, which is that either like you know, either she doesn't know that it happened or whether or not it happens or happened rather or that, or she knows that it happened, and she's like, eh.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Fuck what happens next?
Speaker 1: Well that they wind up brustling on the floor.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they knocked the table over. Those poor auto chokes them.
Speaker 1: Well, they were sitting there, they were under the table for a minute, right, m And then we've.
Speaker 4: Got and then they and they and they somehow knocked the leg off the you.
Speaker 1: Know, the women are bonding over here. I should have calmed down. And then yeah, inexplicably they start fighting again.
Speaker 3: Right and the table falls down.
Speaker 1: Ben tries to like say, everything's okay. Ever it like there's nothing to be upset, and then.
Speaker 2: He goes, you don't even love her, men.
Speaker 1: That's right, she's right there though. Damn. But it's but it's an obvious truth. I mean, it's an obvious truth. And you know, he says it, and now evert's violent again, Yeah, what because.
Speaker 5: Listen, because they are a wasp family that has never understood how to deal with their emotions, and so for him, violence is the way. And listen, and for fucking straight men, violence is the way you deal with him.
Speaker 3: They can't even hug you without hitting you.
Speaker 2: The fact that everybody doesn't jump up and try to pull the or do something. They've seen this before, They've been down this road with the two with them before, with every I don't believe that.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 5: And let's also be clear, like if we listen, if we are talking about mes on san and if we're talking about the sound.
Speaker 4: Design, uh huh.
Speaker 5: The fact is is that if we hadn't seen that before, there is no way they'd be fighting to a song as bright as Chikowski's trip Back for.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 2: Max uses that melody in The Producers when he's plotting, so that is not used for serious stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, It's not where do we close out? Where do we close out? The kitchen thing? It just ends what's the I think that like? Because aren't we see Ben.
Speaker 2: I can rewind because I am mobiles.
Speaker 1: Ben says, go take a shower, you smell like puke.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's like the table falls, and then Julie just is like, I'm out, okay, so leaving follows right, He's like running after oh yeah, because.
Speaker 4: He's like this is this is the moment where it actually turns into Clear Danes' movie.
Speaker 3: Right, So he's like, where's Julie And the kid goes, oh, she left right right. And then someone who asked her like, why does the kid have the ring? Her mother okay, her.
Speaker 2: Mother is actually paying attention to her, says why.
Speaker 3: So the kid says, oh, because Julie gave Julie gave it to me and told me to give it to Yeah. And so he's jogging toward the bus station. Kelly pulls up in the car, get in, They get to the bus station, they see her, she waves, the bus comes and uh. He runs up and he basically says, don't go, you can't go. And I'm like, don't tell her what she can do anyway, and she's like, I can't stay. It's too much. No, it isn't, sir, yes day. And then we make plans for New Years three, right, So she gets on the bus, right, she gets on the bus. From then we cut to Kelly's perspective, he sees the bus, he doesn't see them. The bus pulls away and we just see Everett standing there by himself. Now Everetts standing there looking all sad. Then the bus stops. Oh my goodness. He runs to the bus. She comes out. I can't believe that. She asks for the bus to stop and they let it stop. Well, she gets off.
Speaker 4: That's listen, that's peak White Lady ship.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, maybe, yes, yeah, because it wouldn't happen in Phillage.
Speaker 3: Let me ask a bus driver to stop after he just pulled off, No one. He's probably five minutes behind Scutch. So she was like, I just wanted to know what you what you were doing for New Year's which means he's got a shot. He's in there. Yay, we're swapping sisters, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, she gets on the bus, bus pulls away and we have close ups of Everett looking hot. I have to say that shot get back walking back? Where are Kelly? And said in the car?
Speaker 1: Maybe he's just walking to the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's walking back to the car. Because when they showed, when they show from Kelly's perspective, it was way up that way, right, yes, okay, I wouldn't, and you know, Kelly don't want to get nobody's business. He's going to stay where he's there.
Speaker 2: Okay, because he's in an abusive relationship with Sibyl.
Speaker 1: Not for long though, huh, but saying she dies. If we only have your perspective.
Speaker 2: I'd be in an apartment if I with Kelly in the second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, that would be that that shot is actually that shot of him like walking back is also just comical in a way that it's not supposed to be right, if not, particularly because I think it's so tonally off, because.
Speaker 4: There is a way that even as we knew.
Speaker 5: That this or even as it became Claire Danes's movie, the way that the movie starts makes it feel like it's Sarah Jessica Parker's movie, and so that that Dermott and Danes get the sort of last romance shots is what.
Speaker 4: Makes the movie feel weird because because because it's weird again, and it's.
Speaker 5: Not just weird because of the siblings swapping shit, even though that's weird enough, but it's just it's weird because this late in the movie, the movie has actually told us who the hero is and that's not who we thought was the hero all along.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, who's the hero?
Speaker 5: And like, like, there is a way that I think, well, actually I shouldn't say who's the hero. I should say whose story it is, because I think that we were led to believe all along that it was meredith story.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. And see, I think it's Sybil's story.
Speaker 2: I do, it is, I agree with you, but it's the villain of the story. But it is her story.
Speaker 3: The focus did really shift the second we saw Claire Danes, like the way it was.
Speaker 1: Shot, it's true, Yeah, it is true. And from that perspective, yeah, I see the shift.
Speaker 2: As it always does when the pretty girl shows up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Let's also not like before she could show up on camera and we could hate her for being beautiful.
Speaker 4: She fucking fell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she's one of us.
Speaker 1: She's approachably beautiful. Rights, there's this little flaw and.
Speaker 5: Like, and there was never anything, there was never any adorable embarrassment that Sarah Jessica Parker was given.
Speaker 1: And she doesn't it not until not until until when she's wearing the strata. Oh right, that's and and human.
Speaker 5: I mean, but but I mean, but at that but but listen, but like the movie had already sailed and told us that Claire Danes was the get.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well okay forever she winds up being the get for Ben though for some reason.
Speaker 5: But but but but listen, but I think listen, But I think that what is what is what is important if we are talking about the the way that this story is told, it is significant that we start the movie with Meredith but we ended with Claire Danes. That is significant. Yeah, okay, because because it demonstrates in some ways like why on the one hand, the the the story works, but also visually it's a little hinky because we've actually in some because there's a way that even even as we kind of sort of understand the dislike of Meredith, because we were given Meredith from the jump, we still as viewers are trying to find a way to redeem her and still make her the hero and the star. And what this movie does ultimately is makes her a fucking second fiddle. And in some ways, that's partly why this film isn't entirely satisfying to me, is because the one who becomes the star doesn't come in until the until the midpoint.
Speaker 3: And because there's no come up, and we're just supposed to, you know, believe everyone's okay with her little viewpoints. Yeah, h and we all move on. We're all happily ever after.
Speaker 5: And and that and that Claire Danes and Effort are the only ones that we at least assume because because there's been a ring, we assume, because they don't tell us, that they are the ones who got married, or at least they are headed that way, right, And there's a way that we also assume that Berkeley Benn is never gonna get married and that he always is gonna want to be like he's gonna they want to be Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell.
Speaker 4: They don't want they don't want to get married. They just gonna be together forever.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I think she's I think she's supporting him, probably.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because how much does a documentary film editor actually make?
Speaker 2: Burns?
Speaker 1: That's different. And you know, I don't think we're ever to assume he doesn't earn a living, are we? And hell the hell I was.
Speaker 2: Miss How can you afford during the holiday season?
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: This is unless you have a buttload of money, you're not going to be on a third flight, because the third flight doesn't exist, so somehow he gets to his New England family.
Speaker 3: This is true.
Speaker 5: I mean, listen, I would not listen. I would not suggest, though, that Sybil did not pay for that ticket. I believe I thought that, particularly because I listened, because as a controlling parent, what she wanted, like what she wanted more than her kids to pay for their ticket, if she wanted.
Speaker 4: Them to be there, because she wanted them there.
Speaker 3: Right right, So we see that Julie still, you know, she's in there with with ever. She's going to see him on New Year's fade out, fade up to Sybil looking outside at the snow, loving seeing the snow. Patrick comes up to her and says, dinner's ready, and she looks at him and goes, it's snowing, and it's a moment, right, It's all beautiful and smiley. Then we fade to uh, presumably next year a year later. Yeah, oh yeah, it says the title card says a year later again. Patrick in thed getting out of the car, unpacking the presence and their new baby, bringing them into the house. Everyone swarms on them and says hello, and you know, Kelly is greeting King Gus, King of the World. I love that little baby in his little fluffy head.
Speaker 2: By the way, Elizabeth in this year has not aged or changed one bit.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm hmmm, well yeah, she should have been like two feet taller by this point.
Speaker 1: Probably, yeah.
Speaker 2: Different.
Speaker 1: So and Susannah's got her baby is born, but not king of anything, I guess, right, because it was.
Speaker 5: Also like they just didn't have her husband, and because I was expecting that they were like going through a divorce or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know.
Speaker 5: I mean he pops in at the end, but I was like, we had a whole ass movie of you just not being a hero.
Speaker 3: He was the hero. He avoided all this ship right, Well he's busy.
Speaker 2: That's how they get to have yourself a merry little Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, paying for their life, I guess.
Speaker 3: So then we get to, uh, they're decorating the tree.
Speaker 5: And nobody except in movies, takes as long as Rachel McAdams took to hang that one.
Speaker 2: Fucking oh my god, there's no ornaments on the tree.
Speaker 3: Well, it's because we have to see that she's wearing Sybil's.
Speaker 1: Big ring and contemplating that, you know, and it is exactly what Sybil was doing in the begin the same ornament. Yes, it's taking the time and and you know that that retrospection, except now she's wearing and again this is another family stone. Was that the big black onyx that was on Sybil's hand? And Brad says, are you okay? And she's like, yeah, you know it's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we see, so Amy's with.
Speaker 1: Bread, Sybil is not Sybil with Ben.
Speaker 3: Julie's with Everett.
Speaker 1: And we been quote Sendak when he lights up the tree, let the wild brumps begin?
Speaker 3: Yes, and then he.
Speaker 2: Says when let the wild rumpus start, which I understand is a misquote of what it's supposed to be God.
Speaker 3: And then the camera slowly pans over to the say that photo of the Sybil in a different fabulous frame.
Speaker 1: Different size, different frame, different mattering. Let's assume it was always there, I guess. And that's the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: No, it's not Charles, we have I was trying.
Speaker 3: It's give me, which makes.
Speaker 2: No sense coming out of nowhere. You have had a beautiful score. The guy who did up did the score for this. I love the music in this movie. And then you've got a Jefferson starship song at the end that truly makes no sense to me.
Speaker 3: But which makes it on brand with the rest of the film.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: So, would we recommend this for three of us? I immediately know the answer this, Well, we recommend this film as a holiday favorite?
Speaker 1: Kay?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I would too.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Here's I think.
Speaker 5: I think if you approach it and you know up front that nothing really makes sense, then then it is. It's it is a truly enjoyable film. Because, let me also say this much, I feel like I hate the film more after we've talked about it than I did when I watched it.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, slash, I'm sorry, my work is done.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So so that is to say that, like then, I certainly had some notes about some things that were crazy, but like then, y'all pulled some stuff out of me that was latent.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm proud of that. Now, apparently the director is writing a sequel to this film to quote unquote Honor Diane Keaton. No, thank you, No one asked for that, because you know what's going to happen. There's going to be that scene that I noticed this year from watching so many different Christmas movies there's going to be that scene where they're having dinner around the table and the father is going to sit there and say, I'm selling the house, and then that's going to become a big old thing because no one wants them to sell the house because what Mama would have wanted. And we don't need that in another fucking movie.
Speaker 1: No, we already have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen this Christmas and almost Christmas and Mama wants Christmas and whatever the.
Speaker 4: Fuck Daddy wants a new house for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Medea says, we don't need that.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think this is a standalone film. It doesn't need anything else. No one asked for it in the first goddamn place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's it is, it is. I would describe it as a great little Christmas confection, yes, because.
Speaker 3: It's sweet and tricky and has no nutritional value.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and listen, listen, And I say that with all of the respect in the world.
Speaker 3: Right, because the cast is spectacular, and you know, everyone is as gorgeous as they'll ever be. You know, Like the first one of the first things I wrote in my notes was was Sybil Diane Keaton looks fabulous. Oh my god. And Amy Adam not Amy Adams, What the fuck is her name? Rachel McAdams. Oh, completely different person, Rachel McAdams. She was gorgeous in this film and when she had the glasses and I was like, look at her. She was so cute her. But at the end I wasn't going to say it, but yeah, the booty was booty. She was battling with Patrick as to who was more caked up. I was totally not going to bring it there, but thank you.
Speaker 1: I feel good when I watch it. I don't know, I feel good. It's I think that there are kind of underlying messages of you know, love and being present and and you know.
Speaker 3: A close family is like a gang.
Speaker 1: Well but I'm I mean, I think we're supposed to see flaws and say but you know, at the end of the day, like life is fleeting, time is fleeting, you know, find the best that you can find and go for it. Ryes and I feel like.
Speaker 4: That's unless Sarah Parker and your mother doesn't approve.
Speaker 1: Right, well right, except you know, it was just like Ben, you know, yeah, okay, you go with Ben and that's okay, And that's that's part of it too.
Speaker 5: It's like I also find that that see listen, see like this is why we shouldn't be talking about this film, but like also really it's also really weird though that like, we don't like you for the golden boy, but we like you for the throwaway hippie one.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the story of my life.
Speaker 3: The Siba was ready to hook up Julian Ben the second she showed up, right, Yeah, and then that's not how which made sense because he was the one who was single.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not. Yeah, that's not how the chemistry of it all worked out exactly. And I think I mean the way that I look at the character of Sybil, it would be like, okay, long, does it makes sense? Good?
Speaker 4: And that.
Speaker 1: I think that's what we're supposed to be left with anyway. It's the idea that, Okay, this makes sense, you know, I forget about the message it says you have to be coupled in order to be happy. Well that part, you know, because that's what everyone winds up suddenly in a couple if they.
Speaker 4: Weren't, except except Kelly.
Speaker 1: Technically, well except Kelly.
Speaker 3: That is true because yeah, we would have addressed that. In the second movie too, he gets a girlfriend and no one likes that, which would be why he wanted to sell the house.
Speaker 4: Like here comes Katie Sagall who is always.
Speaker 3: The the new mom who nobody wants but everyone needs.
Speaker 4: But listen, I would love listen. Listen. So okay, So if they did like the family steel stoned.
Speaker 5: Or whatever, like, I would love it if they would hire Katie Cigall, but only if she played that part like peg Bundy. Oh god, Kelly, yeah, like listen, like like I mean, like we've got to have like leopard leopard pants and all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she could be Millie who makes the brownie.
Speaker 2: Brownie gets liberated from the yoke of Sybil, and that's who he goes with.
Speaker 5: Oh listen, lit, that would be listen. That would be the night and day coupling for him from Sybil.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my, okay, Well that's one place.
Speaker 3: I think that is where we leave it.
Speaker 1: I think maybe this.
Speaker 3: Has been a delightful conversation about a movie that we all have our own feelings about but love and hate in our own wings.
Speaker 1: And it is so imperfect and that it's true. It is, and the more you watch it, the more you go like, what the fuck is happening here? But I still love I watch it several times this season, I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, also we should also say this because this is I think this is one of the greatest selling points for the film. For the film is that it's not that long. So I think it's like a I think it's like a tightish like ninety ish minutes. So like I mean, by the time, like even if you were like to hate it, by the time you really started to hate it, you're fifty minutes in, and like you might as well see it for a penny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. I think the other part of it is because there aren't many holiday movies that have such a talented cast, and you know, because a lot of them are made on the whole hell of a lot less money and very very formulaic, and this, I feel like they did something with this that was a little bit more And it's probably more than this that it feels different to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean if it and I think it's a really lovely time capsule of that moment in Hollywood in terms of like who was hot, also in terms of like where we were when when thinking about questions around race where we were thinking around about questions around particularly male gainess within film.
Speaker 4: I think I think it it.
Speaker 5: It feels very much While it's not technically a period piece, it feels very much like a period piece in.
Speaker 3: That way, especially when you look at the cell phones, because one of the first things we see is Meritis cell phone. I'm like, I had that phone.
Speaker 5: And wait, wasn't that wasn't And here's a deep cup. Wasn't that the same kind of cell phone that Kelly Rowland was texting on? But it was actually an Excel spreadsheet.
Speaker 3: Right, and wondering why he wasn't texting her back? Yes, that part, yes, because you sent him a worksheet.
Speaker 5: Sent him an Excel spreadsheet like the formula didn't add a.
Speaker 3: You hit, saved, not send right. So, Alfred Martin Junior and Kathy O'Connell, thank you so much for returning to the full Circle table. And we have to do this again.
Speaker 1: Yes, delightful and so much fun, and yes we have to we have to pick another movie.
Speaker 3: You are officially the most visited guests full yesh. Yeah, that's among the first because Gunner Montana Gunner. Yes, it's a it's an elite club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed it is so Thank you all so much you've been listening to Full Circle the podcast.
Speaker 3: I am your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigal. Thank you so much, Kathy and Alfred, and happy holidays, shaw bybe what.
Speaker 3: Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Jr. And Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright whole.
Speaker 2: Yes, fare back back back baa
Speaker 1: Mm hmm