Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I have a question for Gary Hoffman.
Speaker 3: Gary, love you, long time listener.
Speaker 2: I'm en George of listening to you everything.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: But you said that you were told about Nicko Sis. Yes you did it, So my question is where are they now? And why didn't you? I'm serious, Love you man, I'm a great day.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I don't know where they are right now. By the way, that was ten nine years ago that we were told, and it was right about this time of the year. It was a car dealer. I'll just say that it was a car dealer. And I don't know where that guy is now. I don't know if he sold it early, if he got out of the crypto thing or whatever, or he's living on an island somewhere eating mangoes.
Speaker 4: And I don't know. Papiya, what do you eat when you're rich? What else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 5: This gonna be the hottest day of the week. I mentioned there's already eighty eight degrees here in Burbank. National Weather Service has a heat advisory for much of southern California. It will stay in effect until nine o'clock tomorrow. The daytime high temperatures will probably be triple digits here in the valley today in a few places tomorrow, but of course that brings the elevated risk of heat related illnesses. They tell sensitive people take precautions, swim, stay out of the sun, sunscreen clothing, you know.
Speaker 4: The precautions. It's just gonna be hot today.
Speaker 5: Elsewhere in the country, it is nasty, wet weather could ruin Memorial Day weekend for those in the South. We're talking strong storms, flash flooding, very high temperatures throughout the holiday weekend. And I have friends that live in Nashville, and I saw that that they are expecting. I think it's going to be Thursday into Friday. They're expecting about three quarters of an inch of rain and high temperatures in the eighties.
Speaker 4: That just sounds nasty.
Speaker 5: Strong storms possible Friday and Saturday, they say specifically Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, as well as areas in the Florida Peninsula. Some places in Arkansas are expecting more than six inches of rain. There were We've talked about the evacuation procedures in Altadena after the January seventh or during, I should say the January seventh fires, and some missteps that may have been taken by emergency services. Saint Louis is dealing with something like that as well. Saint Louis's emergency management chief has been placed on administrative leave because the sirens that are supposed to go off during a tornado warning were not activated ahead of a tornado on Friday. Sarah Russell is going to be on paid administrative leave as they do an internal investigation into what actually went wrong. The National Weather Service radar indicated a tornado had touched down between two thirty and two point fifty in Saint Louis. It struck near central Saint Louis before it went through the area. About five thousand people affected. Five people in Saint Louis were killed. Spencer, the mayor, described it as one of the worst storms absolutely, but again, the sirens did not go off when they were supposed.
Speaker 4: To a terror in the sky's.
Speaker 5: Late addition, the United Airlines flight bound for lax had to return to its origin in Honolulu because of a potential security for a concern found in a lavatory on board that's called a bathroom. According to a flight aware they thing turned around at nine forty last night, about a half an hour after taking off due to a potential security concern found written on a lavatory mirror.
Speaker 4: That's all they said.
Speaker 5: It didn't explain what that goes, what was said on that mirror, or how in fact they were able to do it.
Speaker 4: And too bad.
Speaker 5: Shannon's not here to explain this a little bit better than I would. But the NFL owners have voted against a ban on the tush push. This would this is a short yardage thing. It failed by two votes to reach the required majority, but the twenty two to ten decision will allow quarterbacks to continue to be pushed by their teammates when they dive into the line for those short yardage gains. Twenty two voted against it, but it was not the majority that they were that they needed in order.
Speaker 4: To keep it going. Is that what it's right? Let me read that again.
Speaker 5: Failed by two votes to reach her the quire majority of twenty two to ten decision that allows the quitter. Nobody cares when we come back the study of super agers.
Speaker 4: Those people are doing everything they can.
Speaker 5: They're trying to sort of biohack their life and stay alione I forever. There's one scientist who is studying super agers has now come up with an exercise plan for longer life. We'll talk about that when we return. And a chance at one thousand bucks coming up.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: If you are listening on the app, all you have to do is hit that little white button it's up in the corner there and leave us a message. Tell us what shows have caught your interest over the last couple of weeks, or ones that you know are coming up that you are interested in. Before we get into our super ager story, we have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars just enter this nationwide keyword on our website green.
Speaker 4: That's green, g R, E E N.
Speaker 1: Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com.
Speaker 4: Slash cash Howard.
Speaker 1: By Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, Winning is everything, call the Winning Attorneys.
Speaker 4: It's Sweet James. One eight hundred nine million.
Speaker 1: That's one eight hundred nine million or Sweet.
Speaker 5: James again, that keyword green goes on the website. If you win one thousand bucks, they're gonna let you know through the email system, So keep an eye on that. An hour from now during the John Cobelt Show, he'll give you a shot at one thousand dollars as well. Eric Topol seventy seventeen years ago, he's seventy now. He was studying why some people age well compared to others. And he was fifty three at the time, so just about my age. And he said this was very personal to him deeply personally. He wanted to age well and he knew that right around this time, unless you start putting some effort in, it goes pretty quickly. He suspected that the answer was genetic, so he and his colleagues started looking into the genomes of fourteen hundred people in their eighties or older with no major chronic diseases. That is, that's kind of rare these days in the United States. We all probably have some exact samples. But both my parents died in their eighties early, so there is a segment of the population who can reach their eighties with no chronic diseases. Here's the thing. He called this group super agers. He couldn't find any genetic similarities between these people who had lived that long free of chronic disease. He couldn't explain why they were superagers. It wasn't genetic apparently, so he put out a new book. His new book called Superagers and Evidence Based Approach to Longevity. Sounds very boring, but he looked at hundreds of different studies on health and disease and aging and talks about a future where things like advancements in medicine and biochemistry and everyone should allow us to kind of turn back the clock when it comes to aging. But in the meantime, what do you do? He said, there's one lifestyle change that influences aging far more than any other, and it's the thing that he has changed most in his life, he told the Washington Post. Of all of those studies, of all the things that we know about, the one thing that changes how your body ages or the speed at which it ages is exercise. It's exercise, and he says that's the only intervention in anyone that has shown any effect on slowing the aging clock on your body. So other lifestyle factors. Obviously, things like diet can have an impact on that. Social interactions those can be critically important. We've talked about loneliness and the aspect that loneliness can have on your physical wellbeing, But the one thing that has the most exceptional evidence for healthy aging is simply exercise. He was is I guess he's probably not practicing right now, But he was a cardiologist, and he said, I would always emphasize aerobic exercise to my patients, walking, swimming, bicycling, elliptical, whatever it was. And he said, I would tell them you should get at least thirty minutes on most days. And that's what he was doing himself. But he said, once he started researching this book, he understood the importance of strength and resistance training, specifically, grip strength has an extraordinary correlation with your health later as you age. Resistance training also, and see he said over a year ago. And again he's seventy now, so when he's late sixties, he went from being a weakling. He said, he never worked out muscles, He never lifted weights except for the legs work that he would get from running and bicycling and hiking and stuff like that. He said, I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, and it's been terrific. I get better balance, I get better posture, and it's the very very simple things. He usually, by the way, works out at home, because he knows that you work out at home, you have fewer excuses.
Speaker 4: You work out at home.
Speaker 5: You're not going to say, oh, I don't want to be stuck in traffic, or I don't want to go to the gym, or it's a dirty place or whatever.
Speaker 4: You do it at home, he says.
Speaker 5: He does planks, he does lunges, he does squats, he does sit ups on a medicine ball.
Speaker 4: He does a bunch of other floor exercises.
Speaker 5: He uses resistance brand resistance bands and small dumbbells and things like that. And he's talked about the importance of teaching his body balance doing some of these exercises unilaterally while standing on one leg or one side of the body and then the other side of the body, teaching your body to compensate for weights on one side and not the other. He says, I try to touch my shin while standing on one foot. All of that strength training, he says, has made him feel stronger and fitter at the age of seventy than he has ever felt in his life. And he says, there's never a time that's too late. It's never too late to start this. The idea that you can't build muscle or strength as you age is wrong. It's not that it's easy to do it after a certain age. But no matter what your age, you are fully capable of getting stronger and athletically fit.
Speaker 4: He says.
Speaker 5: Yes, aerobics still take a huge role in his exercise regimen. He still does cardio, he says, six out of seventies a week, usually thirty forty minutes or something like that. But the most important thing, he says, is that resistance training and the strength training, and again, something as simple as your grip strength has an extraordinary correlation with how well you age getting into it. Later on, all right, what you watch on Wednesday? Tell us what you're watching. We'll go through some of the shows that we have that are coming on, and I'll tell you my new favorite, a dark horse that I didn't think my wife was going to like. She seems to be pretty entertained by this too. We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi AM six forty.
Speaker 5: The UN says it's trying to get needed aid into the center of Gaza this week, some delays because of fears of looting and Israeli military restrictions. Israel did allow dozens of AID trucks into an area just inside Gaza, but the UN says it can't bring them deeper into Gaza because the road designated by the Israeli military might be unsafe for them. The Pentagon says Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has officially accepted the gift of a Boeing seven forty seven from Cotter. The plan is for it to be retrofitted so it could be used as an air force one by President Trump. The Pentagon spokesman said that the department will work to ensure proper security measures on the airplane to make sure it's safe for use by the President. Said the plane was accepted in accordance with all federal rules and regulations. Of course, we talked about the potential for it to be unc constitutional, at least without congressional approval, but you get around that by instead of giving it to a president, you give it to the government you give it to the Air Force. So that's apparently how they have decided that they're going to get around that. It's time for what's you watching Wednesday?
Speaker 4: The following program is brought to you in living color, but you're watch it in there. Americans love television.
Speaker 5: They win their kids.
Speaker 2: Collar USA Television Manchubta, you've been.
Speaker 6: Watching too many of those live television shows.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a bunch going on when it comes to entertainment, TV movies and things like that. One thing just to start off on the wrong foot, unfortunately, is that George went died.
Speaker 4: This happened yesterday.
Speaker 5: He played Norm on Cheers, among other things, at the age of seventy six. Started enacting when he joined the Second City main stage back in nineteen seventy five six Emmy nominations. Throughout his five decade Hollywood career, he was in Taxi, he was an Alice, he was in making the grade, and then of course got his big break as Norm in Cheers. All the way back in nineteen eighty two was when he started on that. Another business side of the entertainment world, Lama or Karen Bass wants to reduce production costs for a movie and TV shows by requiring only a single city staffer on film and TV sets. The hell does the city have anything to do with this? I don't quite understand that, but as of right now current practices, multiple city staff firefighters, retired or off duty police, et cetera, can be required to serve as on set monitors for those things as of right now. Karen Bass signed this at a SAG after a headquarter presentation yesterday. Et Cetera administration is also looking to hire a film liaison. Kevin James at one point was appointed by Eric Carcetti to serve as liaison to the film community back in twenty fifteen in terms of stuff that what's going on and shows that that you happen to be watching.
Speaker 4: Hey Gary, it's Jim from Belincia. The last night I got sucked into five hours of watching a show.
Speaker 1: Called Bets on Netflix.
Speaker 6: Do not watch.
Speaker 4: It's not worth it.
Speaker 1: I don't want anyone else to lose five.
Speaker 4: Hours of their life like I did. Bets A good one. That's weird because I have not heard of Bets. Uh.
Speaker 5: That is a show that's new to me and I can't even find any information about it. So good good have Sorry you lost those those five hours.
Speaker 4: Hey, Gary, the show I'm watching is Your Friend's Neighbors with Jonathan really liked it.
Speaker 1: It's a foot.
Speaker 2: And it's Lynn calling from North Texas.
Speaker 4: Thank you for calling from North Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yes, Friends and Your Friends and Neighbors on Apple TV, John Ham, Olivia munn Uh. That is one of the shows that we've been watching regularly. Apple TV does this thing where unlike Netflix, Netflix, for the most part, does their drops of shows all at once, HBO Max and now Apple TV they've been in paramount even They do it on that regularly scheduled day, which is the way television used to be.
Speaker 4: Kids.
Speaker 5: You had to watch TV on a Tuesday or a Thursday or a Friday. So we're still waiting for that last episode of Your Friends and Neighbors with John Ham, but it is a good one. In the movie world, Toy Story five is moving forward. They Studio Disney that Is announced this week that Conan O'Brien has been added to the cast of Toy Story five as a new character.
Speaker 4: It's called Smarty Pants.
Speaker 5: Andrew Stanton is going to be directing Toy Story five along coas co director McKenna Harris Jessica Choy is going to produce the film. This is all scheduled for next June June of twenty six. No plot details yet, but they're talking about the toys, dealing with some modern day kids fascination with electronics and whether or not they're going to be able to have the old fashioned toys anymore. Toy Story in nineteen ninety five was an absolutely ground breaking movie. I went with my college roommate to watch Toy Story when it came out in nineteen ninety five because it was just that amazing. The new film includes Ernie Hudson taken over the role of Combat Carl previously voiced by Carl Weathers, because Carl Weathers is no longer with us. Toy Story four was the last movie in this series, hit theaters in twenty nineteen and brought in a billion dollars at the box office. And then the Ironheart co creator says that Marvel didn't pay him for the new Disney Plus series. The Brazilian comic book artist Mike Deodato Junior has said that Marvel didn't pay him, even though they're going forward with the Ironheart series that's showing up on Disney Plus he took to social media to express his disappointment, and that's not the way we do it in this town.
Speaker 4: Buddy.
Speaker 5: If you're going to do it, you got to sue. You don't just post something on social media. A little bit more about some of the stuff that you have been watching. Leave us a talkback message and we'll talk more about the trailers that are out there and whether or not some of our older TV brands can actually survive in the world of streaming.
Speaker 4: That's coming up next on What You Watch On Wednesday.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: Barely made a turn.
Speaker 5: An unmarked patrol car just pulled up right next to him as he was trying to round the off ramp and he's able to squirt through and lo psych he'll get away. But again, they probably looking at a stolen motorcycle is what the expectation is. So he is just off of the one point thirty four in Glendale right now near Monterey Road in Coronado Drive. We'll keep an eye on that. Motorcycle chases don't often end well. Just I don't know if that guy knows that or not, but they don't often end well.
Speaker 4: Hi, Gary, two shows on Netflix, No Good Deed with Ray Romano. It's dark comedy, very funny and sad, and the beautiful Christian Bell. She's in a show called Nobody Wants This and it's absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 5: I didn't watch that Kristen Bell show. I wasn't a fan of the Ray Romano show No Good Deed. It just felt like it took too long.
Speaker 2: Hey, Gary, it's the CORSEI king I'd be watching a movie on Netflix called Heart Eyes. Heart Eyes didn't thing i'd be into it, but man, it hooks you in the first five or ten minutes. It's just about some serial killer guy that likes to kill people. Are couples to be exact only on Valentine's Day? And from there the Shenanigans at Sue. It's definitely worth the watch.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's uh Shenanigans. They said it's a dark, romantic slasher comedy.
Speaker 4: I think is what they sary, but what you watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And if you probably don't want to talk about Real Housewives or Love Hotel, no, let's talk about gun Smoke. Me and my wife have been singing gun Smoke from season one. We are now all the way to season eighteen, halfway through that and it's great. They're about twenty five episodes per season, so it's been great to watch the change.
Speaker 4: Guns spoke.
Speaker 6: I highly recommend it.
Speaker 4: Okay, that one is new.
Speaker 6: To me, Hi, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: I can't wait till this evening. Tell me and my husband are going to watch season two of nine Perfect Strangers with Nicole Kidman. Can't wait. Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 5: That's on Hulu nine Perfect Strangers Nicole Kidman and again two. As she mentioned, a couple trailers are on the website. If you go to KFI am six forty dot com slash garyan Shannon, you'll see our trio of trailers. I already mentioned that new Disney Plus series called Ironheart. Reary Williams makes her own Ironman armor in that in this series executive produced by Ryan Coogler, Jurassic World Rebirth. Let me give you a breakdown of the plot here. They think that everything's okay, the dinosaurs breakout and then they go to kill everybody they I don't know how we kick making these things, but the plot centers on a covert op team led by Scarlett Johanson, okay, task with this mission to infiltrate the Forbidden Island of the Atlantic that was once the original research facility for Jurassic Park.
Speaker 4: That trailer's up there.
Speaker 5: And then Bill Scarsguard once again coming back as penny Wise in a prequel to Stephen King's It. This is called Welcome to Darry And it's a new series that's out the the IT clown Pennywise is coming back. Speaking of scars Guards, by the way, my wife and I just started watching on Apple TV plus murder Bot. It's not the same scars Guard. There's like seven of them if I'm not mistaken, But Bill scars Bill Scarsguard is the Pennywise character. I think it's Andrews. Is there an Andrew scars Guard who plays murder Bot?
Speaker 4: And murder Bot is.
Speaker 5: Actually a fun TV series that's based on a book series called The murder Bot Diaries. Private security cyborg in the future calls itself murder Bot and against Alexander Scarsguard, not Andrew. He has to hide the fact that he's now autonomous. He has basically hacked himself and he's become autonomous, but he's doing these dangerous assignments, he realizes that humans are okay. They start to kind of realize that he is okay. Murder bot on on Apple TV Plus. Last week, I watched as a recommendation ex Territorial, which was a movie that a German movie, specifically about a I guess you would say she was a Special Ops soldier at one point, former Special Forces soldier serves in Afghanistan, the only survivor of an ambush. She takes her kid to the American consulate in Frankfurt to work to apply for a work visa. Her the father of the kid was killed in Afghanistan and she loses the kid in in the consulate. It's a good, tense, strange movie with a great twist towards the end of it. X Territorial that is on Netflix, ESPN, and CNN are doing what others networks have done in the past. They're going to put together some standalone flagship services. Studios are trying to figure out do audiences care. Kaway had a promo not too long ago where he talked about having the freedom to choose individual shows. If you could do that, if a streaming service said, hey, you could watch your friends and Neighbors with John Hamm for five bucks or even a bucket episode or something like that. Would you be willing to do that? And I think a lot of people would. There's a bunch of these networks HBO, ESPN, CNN, things like that that are talking about spinning off into sort of that more pick and choose kind of streaming service in the future. Not only is that going to give you more freedom to pick which channels you want. I mean there used to be sort of the buffet style cable that we that we have now, But the idea that you'd be willing to pay for individual shows is even something that they are looking at.
Speaker 4: So that's what's what you watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 5: Reminder, on Friday, Shannon's back, We're going to be live at our News and Brews. This time, we are going to be at Bravery Brewing up in Lancaster.
Speaker 4: So let me just lay this out for you.
Speaker 5: We start the show at nine o'clock and the place will be packed at nine o'clock. I guarantee it. It's going to be incredible weather. We'll be out on the back patio, there's plenty of seating inside it. For some reason, you don't like fresh air, but they have plenty of fresh air in there as well. We'll be there from nine am until one pm. If you are in the building, we have some special stuff that's going to be going on during the commercial break, so obviously you'll hear the show live, but if you're there, there's going to be even more special things that are going on. We have a bunch of Gary and Shannon show swag that we're going to be giving away. Bravery has given us us some of the stuff that we get to give away as well. They have the Kfipa, which is the beer that they've been brewing for us for the last couple of years. This year's edition makes its debut on Friday. We've already got a preview of what the can is going to look like, and then the Bravery Pizza Kitchen is also going to be opened up for lunchtime, so for any we want to go out there and just make an afternoon of it, it would be great. After the live show at one o'clock, we will turn around and immediately record this week's edition of The Gas Weekend Fix, which is the portion of the podcast that only appears on the podcast. You do not hear it during the regular portion of the week, and it is going to be heavily involving audience participation. So come on out Bravery Brewing in Lancaster on Friday for our latest news and bruis to kick off Memorial Day weekend. John Cobelt Show is up next. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Stay dry.
Speaker 5: Everybody you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.