Speaker 1: Hello and welcome the Deep Blue Sea the Podcast. I am Mark Shark Gang Hoffmeyer.
Speaker 2: And I am Jay Thwarted. Podcast schedule clue it Welcome you Aboard deep the Podcast. On this show, we've been to the entire Deep Sea trilogy seen by scene. I'm doing it again, but not today. Today we're talking about a deeply he adjacent film, which is normally a film director of Berne Harden featuring a credit action or sharks. But this is the first time, the first time where it's all three. That film is of course deep Water. What is deep Water? I'm not entirely sure yet because I haven't seen it yet. This is coming out the day the film comes out, which is not out in the UK yet, but Mark has seen it. So this is a fun little bonus spoiler free preview episode, Mark Deepwater, What is it?
Speaker 3: Tell us? All right? Oh? So to okay?
Speaker 1: So deep Water is about a flight that that is going from Los Angeles to Shanghai. It crashes at the worst possible place, right in the middle of the ocean. The pilots are Aaron Eckert and Ben Kingsley's It's loaded up with an incredible amount of good looking people.
Speaker 3: This plane.
Speaker 1: The stewardess is there's like a you know, this is random, and but David Eric will back me up on Endubuyer, like does everyone on this plane. There's an incredible amount of pretty people on this plane, all likable. There's Angus Sampson. But the reason if the plane blows up is because Angus Sampson Sampson I love him from Insidious and they will kill you mad Maxfrey Road. He he brings a lithium battery with a charger that's sparking in his suitcase and it explodes. About a ten minute plane crash scene happens. Wow, and everyone in the audience was just clapping. When after it ended, everyone's like, hot, dang, that was a good one. So at first I saw this in a press screening. It was a pack theater. I got a life fest, you know on the airplane. But it says deep water.
Speaker 3: On it, so it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, this is a movie where you know, it was supposed to be a sequel to Bait.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a Bait three D sequel, but when the Malaysian plane disappeared, they they shelved it and then Geene Simmons from Kiss got involved in arc Light Studios. So this is a film where Rennie Harlan had time, he had money, and he had some really good actors.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He brought back Eckert from Brick Layer. He has Ben Kingsley. Ben Kingsley's just sitting but he adds a lot of pathos to the episode. So Jonathan Hickman was here. He was on one of our Deep Blue Sea episodes. He and I watched it together and he was jumping all over the place during the movie. He was like, man, they like did a really good job there. And I think, listen, it's corny. I don't know how well it's going to play on like a phone or a tablet, but it's like it's classic Rennie excellent plane crash and if there's a plane crash in a Renni film, it's good.
Speaker 3: You have you know, like Ihard Cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: There's sharks like in Deep Bluecy Also there's I don't want to say it, but there's another thing that others the other movies have that make him really good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's it's a fun film.
Speaker 1: And when the plane crashes, everyone gets split up into four different areas, and because they crash on a core a reef and this shark gang akin to the baby sharks from Deep Blue cy Too, just roam around eating people are just rolling around eating everybody, like no one's safe in this movie. Many people die, but yeah, and then everything gets separated and then it's up to like Aaron Eckert and a few others to to keep everyone alive. There's two kids. They're actually pretty likable, and you know, it's it's just a I don't want to it's just a good time. Like when I walked out of it, I was happy. I mean, there's definitely some cornball stuff. Like Aaron Eckert, he plays this pilot who was in the military but it got kicked out and he has like a really sick kid, but he's not coming home because he needs to make money.
Speaker 3: That's a lot, you know.
Speaker 1: Ben Kingsley is a retiring pilot. There's a couple who just got married and they have two like each one has a kid. They're getting remarried, but like one of them is a Victoria's Secret model in real life and the other's ones like a wildly handsome Australian dude, and like they they go off into the bathroom to hook up Mile High Club leave their kids behind, so then the kids have to like deal with the survival of everything. Angus Samson is just hilarious in a lot of hair, a lot of sasas, and it's just yeah, I don't know, it's it was filmed on a tank, obviously, but it looks good. The sharks look good. It has a fun sense of humor. There's some good jump scares. It's an international cast, and you know, there's actually a few characters you care for. I mean, Renny has to juggle about thirty five different characters in this movie with speaking parts. But I don't know any of their names, but I knew who they were. They registered as humans to me. And I guess the thing that'll help this film is word of mouth, because I'm telling you, man, people in the theater like when certain characters died, they cheered, when shark.
Speaker 3: Attacks happened, they like they went whoa.
Speaker 1: At the end, everyone clapped like it was a fun communal experience in a in a pack theater. And so it's just fun watching Rennie do it. But I mean, it's classic Rennie. Though I remember Refuge, how kind of corny. It gets like there's a lot of cornball stuff in this, but there's a lot of kills, a lot of sharks. It's a very shark movie. It's a it's a shark movie with a lot of.
Speaker 3: Shark action and it's I don't know. It just proves that, like you.
Speaker 1: Know, if Rennie has more than three days of prep and more than fifty two days to shoot three movies, he can do it.
Speaker 3: And the scores are doing well.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm not gonna say it's it's not deep blue Sea level, but if you're just looking for a fun movie, this is it.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a good time.
Speaker 1: There's no messages, there's just sharks. It's a shark gang. I don't even know why the shark gang is there, but it's a shark gang and I love them, so it's yeah, it's a good time.
Speaker 2: So you just posted your your Renny ranking on on Facebook. This was number nine, I think, so in the top ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think that's fair. I think I should have put mine Hunters higher. I agree, Yeah, Mine Hunters should Mine Hunters should.
Speaker 3: Be four or five. So I'm going to fix that right now. But yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's number nine right now, and I think that's fair because you know, Cutthroat Island, the ones I have ahead of it, I have Deep Blue, cy Long, Kiss good Night. Those are my clear ones. Cliffhanger three seems fair die Hard to I would probably put mine Hunters four, die Hard two, five Nose four in what, sixth, Prison in seven because we love.
Speaker 3: Prison Jake, We love prison number eight.
Speaker 1: Cutthroat Island because I don't care how many people at bankrupt. It looks gorgeous and it's like we talked about this on the show. There's so many moments that are just gorgeous to behold, and then steep water like I you know, I have Ford fair Lane up there pretty high, but it's just because he had a budget and it's insane and there's like a it's a fun film. Yeah there's a quala on a boat and you know Born Americans' first film Brick Layers, Good Covenant.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think nine's a good spot for it.
Speaker 2: So that would make this his best film since two thousand and four easy, which is mind hut wow, which is good to hear because you know, we like we at least like all of his films. We find things that like in all of them. There's even stuff that I like about Driven, but we can agree that he's had some films that are not great, not as good as they could have been.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, I think this brushed.
Speaker 1: He was just thrown into everything Jay like he didn't remember five Days of War. They were like, hey, we need to make this movie on Georgia. Cal Rennie, well, he did. He had no stake in any of this, and I think this one Gene Simmons reached out to him personally and asked him to do it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The script had been kicking around, but I think Rennie felt wanted on this one. They gave Renny time he has. I'm telling you this is a good cast. There's like a couple of.
Speaker 3: E gamers in here. Everyone.
Speaker 1: I know this is weird for me saying it, but everyone's good looking. You'll know when you walk in there, it's almost like ridiculously good looking, but you're engaged in some of the stories. There's a Shelley Winters type character that got huge lass in the theater and then even someone calls her the Shelley Winter's character, which made me twice as happy but yeah, I think this is him. This is like the first time he's allowed to be him in a long time, if that makes sense. Like I think he's been a director for hire for many years and he's never had time.
Speaker 3: There's no time, but I think this one he had it. And it's.
Speaker 1: You play a drinking game every time and say it's a good time. But that's what this movie is, and I enjoyed it. I feel like there's the crashing scene. Ben Kingsley and Aaron Eckard are very good in it. There they add a welcome all like pathos to the scene. It's they add a weight to it. And it's I'm not talking like this is Captain Phillips or anything like I'm not this on that level or you know, was that not Sully? Yeah, Sully or Flight But yeah, ah in a better mustache in that one.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have one in this show.
Speaker 1: But I I think I'm not comparing those to that. This is a Renny Harlem movie. But he he has the juice in this one. There's some you can kind of feel him flexing again, and you can in interviews you can see him smiling again. And Yeah, I think I think it's a. It's the first time he's allowed to be ready.
Speaker 3: In a long time.
Speaker 2: I'm trilled to hear that. I can't wait to see it. I have to wait, so we will, we will. We're going to cut that here. Keep this is like a little nice preview. We will do a full episode on this at some point, once it has a white road, once it has a UK release, well I'll be I'm determined to see this on a big screen with with people, so we'll come back and have a full upisode there then. But for now, I guess go and watch deep Water.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 2: I'm envious of all of you you can.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I'm so jealous of people who can go and see it. So for me, please go and see this film.
Speaker 3: It's a good time.
Speaker 2: And because it's not, it won't be our next week's episode like we kind of planned it to be. I think the Rogue episode is getting bumped up instead. So next week is going to be Yeah, next week is going.
Speaker 3: To be is a good time.
Speaker 2: Yes, So Deep See Chapter thirty one is next week with doctor Darren McPhee Shark Expert, and then a week after that we Rogue with just commands of Kite and then who knows that then it might be deep water.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll see when it comes out, but keep keep watching. The fee didn't, well, we'll have a deep water so for you soon. Yeah, I think for the deep worter preview, I've been Jake Lewis.
Speaker 3: And I'm Mark Shark gang Hoffmeyer.
Speaker 2: And we'll deep blue. See you next week. H