Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to my podcast. This is an audio version of my videos available to make listening to my stuff in the background easier than YouTube makes it. But since my videos are primarily made for YouTube, there may be occasional references to visual materials. If you'd like this podcast ad free, you can join us on Patreon app, Patreon dot com slash Vice Rhino. Please enjoy.
Speaker 2: Today's video is brought to you by surf Shark. Hello and welcome to my channel Vice Rhino. Here today, I'm headed back into the butt of world video Bible school and looking at a video called five Reasons Atheism Fails, And since I want to make sure my beliefs are in line with reality, if atheism fails, then I want to know about it.
Speaker 3: So let's take a look.
Speaker 2: First, I should probably clarify that I you did the butt thing at the beginning, because it's Kyle Butt and he's got a funny last name. Haha, I'm a child roll the intro. But first a word from our sponsor, surf Shark. Are you worried about privacy on the Internet in this day and age? If not, you probably should be. And one of the more most important tools in the privacy toolbox is serf SHARKVPN. Search SHARKVPN is a virtual private network which allows you to appear to be connected to the Internet from any location where serf Shark has a server. By connecting through serf Shark, you can access streaming services from different geographic locations. This means you may have access to additional libraries of movies and TV shows not available in your home area. But that's not all they do. With their clean Web two point zero features, you can automatically block ads, reject unwanted cookies without fumbling through the pop up first, get alerts when the website was a target of a data breach, and block malware. Serf Shark VPN adds an extra layer of encryption to your devices, keeping you secure on public networks. I always connect to public networks through surf Shark. Serf SHARKVPN is easy to use and simple to install. They do not monitor, track, or store your data, and it works on phones, tablets, and laptops with no extra fees. Serf Shark offers a thirty day money back guarantee so you can try it out completely risk free. My viewers get a special promo where you can get an extra four months out of to your subscription for free. Go to surf shark dot com slash rhino or use cod rhino at checkout to get your four extra months of search SHARKVPN. Again, that's serfshark dot com slash rihi ando for an extra four months for free. This is a limited time offer, so sign up today and remember by signing up for search Tark VPN, you're helping to support my channel, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Every system of belief or unbelief in the world carries with it certain implications that if the belief system is true, then those implications must be true.
Speaker 2: As will I don't know that I know enough about every possible belief system to be so absolutist about it, but caveating aside, yes, I can agree with that. I mean, I guess you could even universalize it without knowing every possible belief system by getting all reductionist. If the atheist belief system is true, for instance, then an obvious implication of that is that there is no God, and that cannot be the case unless atheism is true. But here in lies another catch. Many atheists, myself included, would actually argue that atheism is not actually a belief system per se. Certainly there are atheists that can and do use their atheism to inform their belief system, but this is not a required part of atheism. Atheism is the answer to one single question, do you believe in God? If the answer is no, then you're still an atheist, regardless of what other belief systems you may hold.
Speaker 3: One way to show the belief system to be flawed is to show that the implications are false.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you can show that a God exists, then you will have successfully shown atheism to fail. Not sure what else could show atheism to be false. I mean, pick any topic and you'll find atheists on either side of it. Granted, for topics that are highly influenced by religion, there is frequently one side that is larger than the other, but you can still find them on both sides. Case in point, there is an organization called Republican Atheists, atheists who actively support the party that is most closely aligned with Christian nationalism. I don't know how they square their non belief with supporting the party most vocal about wanting them to not exist, but there you have it.
Speaker 3: The idea that God doesn't exist implies several ideas that can't be true.
Speaker 2: It's not so much that it implies several ideas, it's more that it negates the implications put forward by the various theistic world views. For instance, when an apologist says that it's okay to kill children because God commanded it. If there is no God, then the implication there is that it is not okay to kill children. But there is no atheist command to exterminate believers or whatever, so it doesn't really work in the reverse.
Speaker 3: Let's look at five reasons that atheism fails. First, atheism implies that human free will doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Christianity implies that as well. If there is an all knowing, all powerful entity who knows everything you are going to do in the future, and is also the entity that created everything in the first place, then free will cannot exist. You cannot make the choices other than the ones that this entity already knows that you are going to make. Atheism, on the other hand, leaves it as an open question. It could be that everything that happens in the universe is the result of a causal chain going back to the initial state of the universe, where if you knew the position and velocity of every single particle at the origin of the universe, then you could hypothetically calculate every future event in the universe. But it also could be that there are some aspects of reality that are truly random, thus allowing for multiple potential outcomes given the same inputs, leaving open the possibility that we actually do have free will. As far as I know, this is still an unanswered question either way. The existence or non existence of free will is not actually an implication that comes along with atheism.
Speaker 3: Atheistic biologist William Probyne stated naturalistic evolution has clear consequences. Human free will is non existent. Renowned atheist Sam Harrish wrote an entire book on the subject of human free will, and he stated free will is an illusion. Our wills simply are not of our own making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you can find atheists arguing against free will, but you can also find atheist arguing for free will. Down to is a question of the nature of reality, is it entirely deterministic or not? And we don't have a solid answer to this question. But all that's kind of beside the point. Anyway. You said that this is atheism failing. If I agree that the existence of free will means that atheism fails, then what have we accomplished here? Until free will is demonstrated to actually be a real thing that exists, nothing, Honestly, the same is true of Christians. Not all of them believe in free will. Have you heard of Calvinism, Kyle? I know, strictly speaking, if you ask them, they'll tell you that free will is a thing. It's just that without divine intervention, our fallen natures will always choose to do evil. So every time someone does something not evil, that is God actively intervening to make them go against their will. But that feels like a distinction without a difference. My point is there are Christians on both sides of this issue, just like there are atheists on both sides of this issue. So I don't know what you even think you're accomplishing here.
Speaker 3: These atheists did me that if free will exists, then atheism is false.
Speaker 2: Yes, those particular atheists are of that opinion, or at least some of them are. I've seen Kyle take quotes out of context before. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of those were actually just additional victims of his quote mining, But the point is so insignificant that I don't feel the need to check up on every quote to make sure it was an accurate representation of their beliefs.
Speaker 3: Their solution is to deny human free will. However, the fact that you're choosing to watch this video right now proves you have free will?
Speaker 2: Does it? If free will is an illusion and my choices are ultimately determined by my current position in a cascade of physical interactions, then I had no choice but to watch this video, and the feeling that I did have a choice is an illusion. Just because a choice feels like a free one does not mean that it is so. Even if I grant your premise, you have yet to demonstrate that free will is actually a real thing.
Speaker 3: If humans do have free will by all accounts, atheism is false.
Speaker 2: By some accounts. Just because you ignored the accounts that disagree with yourclusion doesn't mean that all accounts are in agreement with you.
Speaker 3: Second, according to atheism, if humans don't have free will, then they can't be held responsible for their actions.
Speaker 2: Counterpoints, If humans don't have free will, then when we hold each other accountable for our actions, we don't have any choice in the matter, because you know, no free will.
Speaker 3: If atheism is true, there's no such thing as human moral responsibility.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, but the illusion of moral responsibility would still be there. And it's not like we could do anything differently anyway, if you're right, of course, which is not a settled matter.
Speaker 3: Atheistic biologist Jerry Coyn, in a speech titled you Don't Have free Will, stated I don't consider myself morally responsible because I don't have a choice.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe that's why he contributed to a book edited by Lawrence Krauss, long after it became known that Krauss is a sex pest, and he deleted his blog post explaining that he would dissociate from Kraus in light of the credible nature of the allegations, as well as additional allegations that Coin was aware of that were not public. It's not really relevant here, but I mean, come on, if he didn't have free will, then he had no choice but to contribute to Kraus's book whining about cancel culture. But it's always nice to know that the apologists are picking the cream of the crop when it comes to actually representing atheists.
Speaker 3: You see, if we don't have a choice, then we aren't responsible. But each one of us knows that we have felt very real guilt when we've chosen to do things that we knew were wrong.
Speaker 2: So far, for points one and two we have I feel like the atheist position is wrong. Therefore atheism is wrong. He hasn't even stumbled his way up to the argument from consequences that this is supposed to be.
Speaker 3: If humans can be held morally responsible for their behavior, atheism can't be true.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump is still president of the United States. Ergo, atheism is true. That's at least as good an argument as any he's made.
Speaker 3: Third, according to atheism, real objective moral right and wrong can't exist.
Speaker 2: Again, it depends on which atheist you ask. Though at least this is a position that I personally hold, so it's progress, I guess for me at least.
Speaker 3: Charles Darwin stated that if a person doesn't believe in God, he can have for his rule of life, as far as I can see, only to follow those impulses and instincts which are the strongest, or which seem to him the best ones.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and finish that quote. Apologies, it is a bit of a lengthy one quote. A dog acts in this manner, but he does so blindly. A man, on the other hand, looks forwards and backwards and compares his various feelings, desires, and recollections. He then finds, in accordance with the verdict of all the wisest men, that the highest satisfaction is derived from following certain impulses, namely the social instincts. If he acts for the good of others, he will receive the approbation of his fellow men and gain the love of those with whom he lives, And this latter gain, undoubtedly is the highest pleasure on this earth. By degrees, it will become in tolerable to him to obey his sensuous passions rather than his higher impulses, which, when rendered habitual, may be almost called instincts. His reason may occasionally tell him to act in opposition to the opinion of others, whose approbation he will then not receive, but he will still have the solid satisfaction of knowing that he has followed his innermost guide or conscience. So yes, there is no moral objective standard. But Darwin described a moral philosophy that came to be known as enlightened self interest, the idea that doing good to other people will, on balance, result in better outcomes for yourself. If I help other people when they need it, they will be more likely to help me when I need it. Also, it just feels good to do good deeds, so why wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: If it's true that it is objectively wrong to murder innocent people just for fun, then by all accounts, atheism can't be true.
Speaker 2: And we once again see an apologist using the addition of the for fun modifier. There. Surely the ancient Israelites who were enacting the will of God didn't do it for fee fun, so it was okay for them to murder babies. We know that it's objectively wrong to torture inferance for fun.
Speaker 3: Every one of us knows that torturing an innocent baby for fun is wrong, as do we understand that torturing babies for fun is really wrong, that it's truly always wrong to torture a baby for fun.
Speaker 2: And if my timing works out properly for this video, my last two videos will have gone into much greater detail about how this line of thinking convinces Christians that modern day atrocities are morally good. Is that a world you want to live in? Kyle? This is not one that I want to live in.
Speaker 3: Fourth, if atheism mistrue human life is meaningless, incorrect. My life has a lot of meaning to me, and I'd like to think that it means a lot to my loved ones as well. The fact that this meaning will not persist very long after my death does not mean that it is meaningless. It's just meaningless to people whose lives will be meaningless to me because I'll be dead, you see. Atheist Alex Rosenberg wrote what is the person of the universe? In his book The Atheists Guide to Reality? He stated, there is none? What is the meaning of life? Ditto?
Speaker 2: There is no ultimate purpose to the universe, and our lives are not given meaning by some higher power. But that doesn't mean that our lives are meaningless. It just means that the meaning is not assigned to us by a third party. We get to determine that for ourselves.
Speaker 3: Meaning there is none. Atheist Graham Lawton, the executive editor of New Scientist magazine, wrote a very brief article titled the Meaning of Life. His first line read, the harsh answer is it has not sure.
Speaker 2: The only meaning your life has is that which you give it. I don't see this as harsh necessarily, but if you thought your life had some eternal, transcendent meaning, then I guess it could come across that way.
Speaker 3: Dan Barker wrote, you and I are like ants or rats or pieces of Really, in the big picture, we are no different than a piece of broccoli in the cosmic sense. If a human life has more objective value than a stalk of broccoli, atheism can't be true.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, what is the objective measuring stick by which we would measure human life and broccoli? As a human I am perfectly comfortable agreeing that we humans are more important broccoli. But that is a subjective determination. What is your proposed measuring stick that would make it objective? Even if God is real, God's opinion, that's subjective. Again, it's just God's opinion. Sure, you can say that God's opinion is more important than ours if you want, but that doesn't make it objective.
Speaker 3: Fith Atheism demands that nothing spiritual or supernatural exists in the world.
Speaker 2: No it doesn't. I mean, I don't believe that anything supernatural or spiritual exists, but I know atheists who believe in things like ghosts. Checkmate.
Speaker 3: I guess now that would mean humans have no soul.
Speaker 2: Correct, We're all a bunch of soullesss bastards.
Speaker 3: It would imply there's no such thing as real love.
Speaker 2: Incorrect. Real love is an emotion that we experience. Experiences are real, even if souls aren't.
Speaker 3: Or courage or virtue.
Speaker 2: If we don't have a soul, then I guess none of us have thoughts, opinions, or emotions. Kyle does know that brains exist, right, and that they're super duper complicated, like complicated enough to explain thoughts, opinions, and emotions. I mean, given what's come out of the world Video Bible School, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they don't believe in brains. But yeah, this point of his is refuted by the existence of brains.
Speaker 3: But what we call love or virtue would just be a mechanism to pass on our genetic information.
Speaker 2: If you're super reductive about it, I guess yeah, But that doesn't mean that I don't still experience the thoughts and feelings that I experience. If I'm reductive about my YouTube channel, it is simply a mechanism to put food on the table. But that doesn't mean that I don't also derive joy from what I do, or that the people who watch the videos experience whatever thoughts and feelings keep them watching. Just because something can be reduced to a single, uninspiring fact does not mean that there aren't other aspects of that thing that are significant.
Speaker 3: In a very real sense. If you have ever really unselfishly loved another person, atheism can't be true.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just a load of shit. What's next?
Speaker 3: Ultimately, atheism strips humanity of everything that makes us human.
Speaker 2: And I guess the concluding recap is, what's next? Okay? Well, if there is no God, then we have defined what it is to be human, and we have done so by observing traits that we share. But hey, at least Kyle is pro choice, right after all, most of this that he said makes us human are things that embryos do not have. They don't experience love or virtue or well anything. Since that's what makes us human, then in Kyle's worldview, abortion must be okay.
Speaker 3: It denies our free will, our moral responsibility, and sense of real right and wrong.
Speaker 2: Free will is a debate. Moral responsibility is a social construct, as are our senses of right and wrong. Now that isn't to say that these things aren't important. Quite the contrary, social constructs of all kinds are incredibly important to our day to day lives. Like money, Money is a social construct. Without a society saying that money is valuable, then the papers that represent money are not valuable. But obviously money is important. So don't confuse my saying that morality is a social construct with the idea that morality does not exist or is not important.
Speaker 3: It robs our lives of purpose and any real meaning.
Speaker 2: It robs our lives of the imposed purpose of suck God's back. We get to choose our own purpose and meaning, and that is far more valuable to me than believing that worshiping a being that logically shouldn't even need worship in the first place is my meaning.
Speaker 3: And it slanders every commendable attitude of love, virtue, and kindness as a manipulation strategy we used to pass on our DNA.
Speaker 2: One specific moral philosophy can be seen that way if you are incredibly reductionist about it. Yeah, but that is not the only moral philosophy compatible with atheism. Your lack of knowledge regarding moral philosophy does not prove atheism wrong.
Speaker 3: In light of this information, C. S. Lewis's conclusion as he abandoned atheism still rings true. Consequently, atheism turns out to be too simple.
Speaker 2: So Ockham's razor sides with atheism. Okay, I'll take it. That's it for this one. Today's comment to the day comes just from Andrew Sangling, who says, what genocide. I wish people would stop spreading this BS, do better and check the facts. This was on my video from a couple of weeks ago where Frank Turrek defended the biblical genocides, and I pointed out that we shouldn't be surprised that Turrek also defends the genocide that Israel is doing in Gaza right now, now, Andrew, if you had been paying attention to the video, you might have heard me say this genocide and yes, it is a genocide. This is not me using hyperbolic language to make Frank look bad. This is the conclusion arrived at by institutions like the United Nations and the International Association of Genocide Scholars. I'm not really sure what more fact checking you would want other than the consensus of scholars specializing in genocide and the conclusion drawn by UN commission that spent two years studying the situation specifically to determine whether or not it was a genocide. More to the point, you offered no sources credible or otherwise to counter the conclusion that it is a genocide. Thanks for watching. Don't forget to go to surf shark dot com slash Rhino for an extra four months for free. I'll be back next Friday with more, but if you need to get your rhinofix in before then. I live stream with service every Wednesday eight thirty Eastern on my other channel, The Watering Hole, and periodically published shorts on the channel Vice Rhino Shorts. Thanks to Piper for being my editor and special thanks as always to my patrons Colson, Craig, Kirby, b Heller, Kirby, Bellbeller, Hi Kirby, and all the rest who are the Barack that is just as important as the human that is my channel. If you'd like to matter in a cosmic sense, you can join us on Patreon for as little as a dollar per week. Over at patreon dot com slash Vice Rhino or by supporting the channel in one of the other methods. I can be found at links stop Vice Randa dot com, which is also where you'll find links to my other projects. If for whatever reason you want to send me stuff, my pobox addresses in the description. See you next time.