Speaker 1: Time for law and disordered. I demand a lawyer with attorney Jeff Kaufman on one oh one one w j R.
Speaker 2: O right, don't grill me because I didn't play a second Metallica song. Just didn't have time there to do it.
Speaker 3: And I hate it.
Speaker 1: When you tease our listeners along like that, Lynchers. At some point, Oh, actually just turned on the other other light form.
Speaker 2: At some point. We will play a double dose of Metallica this morning, which will alert you to start calling and try to be the tenth caller and win tickets for their show next year.
Speaker 1: Tenth caller Kaufman is going to win tickets for Friday Nights Metallic Cash show in this right, June. In June.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be a nice concert. Oh yes, it's somebodys all week. We have Metallica tickets. You just listen for two in a row. Like Lyncher said, do they still do the pit? Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Jeff Coffin is here. He's a partner at Coffin and Lynn find personal injury law firm. If you were someone you know who's been injured and you think you might need legal presentation, it's worth placing a phone call to Jeff just to find out, Hey, here's what happened. Do I need to secure some legal services? Simple to get in touch with them? Pound five four to six on your cell or four zero seven five hundred, Jeff. That's four zero seven five hundred Jeff. Or if you want to email Jeff directly Jeff at when you need us dot com, which a lot of people do, and then a lot of people send in texts.
Speaker 3: Via our our questions via our text line.
Speaker 2: We want to get to some of those here in a second quick question. We had a big, high profile case come to a close on Friday night here in Orlando. Yeah, the Sarah Boon suitcase murder trial. The jury got the uh was given the case at the end of Friday, and it took him an hour and twenty six minutes. You should have done that, convict her of a second degree murder. Never should have done what put it in a suit case?
Speaker 3: I was well, if I.
Speaker 4: Was the defense attorney in this case, you know, never would to let it go on a Friday because people just want to go home. So how do you stop it? You go in front of the judge it listen. I don't think this is enough time. I think it's six point thirty at night. I think these people are going to go home. I think, you know, if they're not going to come in on Saturday. You know, you this takes a little bit to make decisions, but I you know, and I'm not saying that things are cut. Normally, if a jury's going to find you guilty of murder, they take a little longer than.
Speaker 2: An hour hour In twenty six minutes, I'm guessing they took him about fifteen minutes and they were like, yeah, there for a little while. They're supposed to fake it. That's what they're supposed to say. Other question here, So she's convicted of what she was charged with, second degree murder of putting her then boyfriend into a suitcase, sipping it up, and he suffocated to death in a game of adult hide and seek after two and a half large bottles of wine.
Speaker 1: And there was video of it, which means she sat there in video it correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Why does this is this second degree murder versus a first degree murder? I'm not clear how is that determined?
Speaker 3: Normally?
Speaker 4: First degree murder requires premeditation, meaning a plan. Second degree requires depray, you know mind, And that one that you're just bad. It just to require you to have a plan, I mean. And then again, you know there are other issues. For example, they both were drinking, and there's no proof that she said I no, no, I agree that you know that she's a piece.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 4: But the point, if it is, is that we do differentiate because one requires you to go, Okay, let me see how I'm doing this. I'm gonna put these steps together. One just requires you to be a moron and just to do bad stuff. How no one requires kind of how do we know that it wasn't premeditated?
Speaker 3: I don't have any evidence. That's the whole point.
Speaker 4: People don't realize it's not how you feel, it's simply this, Okay, let me put my case together. What evidence do I have? Forget the issues of oh, how I feel or what I don't like.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 4: The internet is terrible right now because every time you hear somebody you know get involved in something like this, everyone suddenly thinks they went to law school for three years and practice law.
Speaker 3: For twenty and they did. That's true.
Speaker 2: Well, it should be sentenced to at least for fifteen years, probably more. But she's also got four already on the books that she served, so who knows. In December, the judge will lay out the sentencing.
Speaker 4: Well, you have probation for life, you have she could hold her and for life, there are a couple of things they can do to her. I mean, I think the real issue is going to be this one is how they actually, you know, interpret what she did. And I think this judge is not too happy to begin with and I And anytime the case is really public, they try to maxim out because they don't want to be responsible for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been national news court TV stream the whole broadcast the whole trial.
Speaker 3: That was watching it.
Speaker 2: No, well I watched a little bit of it on vacation, but my wife was watching it daily.
Speaker 4: Look look what they're going to TV. Watching what you got home from work. Look at what's on with the Mendavdas kids. They're going to let them go. They're going to let these two out. And sounds like you, what do you do? How do you feel on that one? Because I've both been in jail for one like thirty six years. Well, this is a new policy in California. This wasn't set up for these two.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: If you listen to them saying they've done this with three hundred murder convictions. You know there's just another two put on.
Speaker 3: The pot California.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: You know they don't. You know, some people believe it.
Speaker 4: And I saw this clown car where they're trying to wear the stat attorney where the prosecutors are DA they call them there, and three people behind him they're just nodding. Papa's Yeah, this is good. This is good, and I'm wanting people do that. I'm going, come on, dude, these families don't want this. Why are you doing this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got a couple of while listener questions this morning for Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yes we do. That's the Sarah Boon one. I will throw her right in the trash where she belongs. You said, when you're getting your case together, I think you meant to say suit their suitcase together, hacking your suitcase?
Speaker 3: This is anymore so?
Speaker 1: Can the victim put a lean on anything he owns for? Oh, that's something to do with Friday. I'm sorry that was from Friday show. They had it was the person who bit the finger off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, let's go on companies. Slow down on a company, slow down on commission. Base wants us to be on call and not pass anything working weekends and took away our incentives after contract signed.
Speaker 4: Any recourse for this, I guess there's a cut. He signed it, they signed it, the union signed it. There's a lot of things up in the air, Like let's just pretend that there's no union involved. There's no issue. The only issue is this that used to be paid a commission based plus maybe you know a little bit and they're trying to change it now. If you accept it, that's a problem. But being if you're hourly, they can't force you to work off the clock. Okay, so I don't know if you're hourly or salaried, but they can't make you work off the clock. Now, if you are truly salaried, they can, and you know you have an option go somewhere else. They're saying commission based and the company wants them to be on call. If I was commission based.
Speaker 3: That's well.
Speaker 4: Commission is that you make a certain amount of money. Now, when they say on call, it sounds like they have people who are calling for business. This happens like in a real estate office. When you're calling, you're on the round robin where they're calling with new clients and things like that. You know, I think on call means that you're there to take phone calls from potential clients, not that you're now your.
Speaker 3: Customer service come in, is what I take it as well.
Speaker 4: Normally that's because you're getting paid per person you sign up.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then the commission's on top of that.
Speaker 1: A friend's boss isn't closing the Oh okay, this is for the storm. But this is a great question. Remember these storm a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: I remember a little bit about that train that came by my window downtown.
Speaker 1: It was great, exactly, it wasn't fun. But this person's business was not closing up and told her she had to come to work where she was fired. Yes, could they actually require her to be there during the hurricane?
Speaker 4: Yes, really it sucks. But yeah, yeah, they can force you to be there. But here's the caveat. If you got hurt or something bad happened, they would absolutely be responsible and most likely have to write a really big check. Okay, So that's what that's about, you know. So, yes, your boss can require you to do things. They can require you to do things you don't like to do. But again, you know, you always have the right to leave, and they all and they are responsible if anything bad happened for.
Speaker 3: The next storm here. That's not gonna work. That's what I was thinking of.
Speaker 1: I'm taking a dive underneath the desk clink and gonna hit my.
Speaker 4: Ay, we're here for all of them. I guarantee. It's quieter in here than it wasn't my place.
Speaker 3: It was pretty Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't hear the wind in this.
Speaker 1: You're in the window coming through here.
Speaker 3: They shake, No, I mean in here. The whole building was shaking, all right. Yeah, it was pretty bad. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, I was sleeping in the room right next to it. I was going to make a city joke, but I can't. I want people to know where you are. No, no, oh, it's fine, Maitland. Yeah, I was thinking about the joke. Maybe it cleaned up down a little.
Speaker 3: I kid. I know it's right. I know it's a right to work state.
Speaker 1: But if work knows that you have a high risk pregnancy and you have to leave work a couple of times a month early due to appointments for the high risk pregnancy, are they allowed to let you go?
Speaker 3: Just fire you because of that?
Speaker 4: I don't I think when it comes to pregnancy and certain disabilities, I think that's a little how can I set a little more shaky area? The right to work doesn't really apply to some cases like that, and they really don't want to really get into it when it comes to stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So but that's kind of uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know. If I was an employer, I don't think I miss that's a nick stack.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 4: You don't screw around with that. But no, you know you fire somebody who's pregnant, you know, I don't. I had people who are a long time ago, my last place, we had people who are horrible. They were they were the worst people who ever worked for us. And if they got that'sant. It didn't matter how bad the work they did, because you just do not want to open yourself up to that because it just the insinuation is bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost protected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like you can do whatever you want to do. And that's that's because businesses should be scared and he should be scared.
Speaker 3: So I'm just saying, don't don't.
Speaker 2: Scare Hope, Hope, please listen to me. Don't score around, all right, you can get a hold of Jeff anytime. If you even get to yours, don't don't don't fret that you can call him or reach out to him a couple of different avenues.
Speaker 1: Jeff at when you need us dot Com or a pound five four six on your cell or call him directly four zero seven five hundred Jeff, what's up?
Speaker 3: Jefs for Kaufman.
Speaker 4: And and we have tickets to our next movie which is next week. That's Red One. That's a Santa Claus movie for free. Get with me at Jeff at when youneed US dot Com for some pre tickets. Also, I'm taking about twenty people to Venom tonight. So if you want to go to Venom, uh, contact me at Jeff at when you need US dot Com.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: That's while they last because they will go quick Jeff at when you need US dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeff coughing for coughing, And then appreciate you taking the time to join us for Law and Disorder every week.
Speaker 3: And avoid suitcases, sir. So come on, it's hot. Yeah, it's really hard.
Speaker 1: To tin talk your on demand download the iHeart Radio app and listen anytime anywhere.
Speaker 4: This is j R R. This