Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you, man.
Speaker 2: I Uh, I was struggling today at work and I was about to text you, and I was going to say, because of your sickness, yes, okay, yes I've You can probably hear it in my voice that I've come down with something. And I was getting ready to text you, and I was going to be like, we got a postpone, we got we got to put this off for a week. I know we took a couple of weeks off, but I hate I hate skipping by God to save the voice and the only thing that convinced me that we were going to do this no matter what.
Speaker 3: What's how good this movie was.
Speaker 1: How fucking good this movie was.
Speaker 2: I actually said during my show, Balky, I still don't know what I'm gonna give it at the end, but I was trying to find the clip to play it here and I couldn't, so I'm just going to recreate it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: If I don't give this a perfect score, then that means the perfect movie doesn't exist, because Wow, I have not come out of a movie so happy. I think I felt every possible emotion from the beginning of the movie until the end of the movie. I don't think I knew really what I was getting into, and I'm so happy with what what with what we ended up with.
Speaker 4: I have so much to say about this. There are so many interesting things that I noticed about this movie. I'll lead it off. So we're talking about Send Help. This is directed by Sam or Amy, starring Rachel McAdams Dylan O'Brien, about a boss and an employee being the lone survivors of a plane crash a business trip to Thailand, ironically I know, and they have to serve, they have to defend for themselves on this island. And it's a horror movie. Obviously, well I don't know about obvious, but it is a horror movie. And so and it's a longer one. I said, it's like fifty yeah, and obviously it's it's gonna be more nuanced than just two people pulling a Tom Hanks here for two hours. There's gonna be other stuff that happened. There's gonna be other twists. And there were other twists, yes, which was very cool. So that's basically the plot of it. Let's talk about a horror movie be sets essentially for the majority on a tropical island. The only one I can think about to compare this to where it was like Paradise and it was a horror movie.
Speaker 2: Can you think of any uh with only two people? Because I could say Fantasy Island was a recent one that came out.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, No, the one that came to mind Broken Lizards Club, trash. Sure that was the only and so And obviously that's more of a comedy than a horror. It was like comedy horror or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what rated movie? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Definitely? What did you make of that? What did the setting do for you?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: This was kind of unique when it comes to this genre? You know what I mean? Did it lull you into a false sense of security? A little bit?
Speaker 2: Took the words right out of my mouth. There were there were several times, I'll admit there were a couple of jump scares that hit like a ton of bricks.
Speaker 3: There was one jump scare and I think you know what I'm talking about in sort of like it was like a hazy sequence, yeah, for one of the characters. And I I didn't jump at all. I did not jump, And I'm like, why even put that in there? And I thought it was a little gratuitous, but I thought you might have enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I absolutely did.
Speaker 2: I didn't jump either, but it's because so I grew up in a horror family and it's a mark of pride. My dad was the only one that jumped, and he would always get blocked when he jumped, and I learned in the movie. I learned how to do it. In was the Ring when they say you should have seen her face. I was twelve years old, and it just pans to the woman in the closet with the messed up looking face.
Speaker 1: The loud music.
Speaker 2: One of the better executed jump scares in all of horror, in my opinion, And I remembered feeling the jump scare pulse through my entire body. I felt everything go chill, but nothing actually moved on the outside. And I was like, okay, this is how you do this now going forward. And I had that feeling yesterday during that jump scares, like everyone in my theater jumped. We all started laughing. It was a very fun great watch this movie.
Speaker 4: With Okay, yeah, I was gonna say it was more like funny and cheeky than I mean, it was a jump scare, but it was kind of like, yeah, I don't know, it's like and I will say it was one of those things like at.
Speaker 3: The end of the you know, we need a pepper something in here. I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree, because the hunting scene also had a moment that I was just like.
Speaker 3: There were several hunting scenes. I don't know which one you're.
Speaker 2: Talking but the one that had, like, in my opinion, a pretty well executed I don't want to spoil when the jump scare is, so I'm going to leave that vegue.
Speaker 4: But we're talking about the first hunting scene. Okay, oh yeah, yeah, I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I was just like, but like, again, all on the inside, but I would say outside of that, it wasn't necessarily a horror as much as it was a psychological thriller.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was a combination of it too.
Speaker 4: I think I think it was one part psychological tearor I think it was one part horror very little comedy.
Speaker 1: I think there was quite a bit of comedy. I'm telling you. My failure was laughing.
Speaker 2: There was one moment son of a Gun. I even made mental note where the guy says something was such a sarcastic tone, and me and one other dude in the back row couldn't stop laughing. And I don't remember what it was, but he executed the delivery of the lines so perfectly, okay that I it just hit because it's exactly what I would have said in the moment. And I don't know, God, I wish I could remember. But there's in my opinion, Sam Raimi evil Dead too. I think I should probably get this out of the way. Is in my opinion, one of the hallmark staples of all of American cinema. I think it is one of the best examples of horror comedy ever to have been executed. Little little corny by today's standards, I mean, it is the early eighties, but for when it came out, in the fact that there was nothing like it at the time, this kind of hit on that. I think he has horror comedy down pat and I think this exemplified that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are moments I don't know, like I think for me, there are some maybe parts of you phone comedic I phoned a little unsettling, maybe because I didn't know exactly what the character was thinking. Because I didn't I didn't really understand. I mean I feel like I understood Dylan O'Brien's character. Bravo to Rachel mccadams in that what a performance that she had. Not that this is oscar worthy or anything like that, because it's not. But the character she played from soup to nuts. The evolution this character undergoes a significant evolution. Basically, we'll set this up. I don't think this is a spoiler.
Speaker 3: She is mistreated at work.
Speaker 1: That's in the trailer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And her boss, Dylan is Dylan O'Brien, and he basically screws her over for a promotion and it really hits her emotionally. One of the other aspects we learned she not only is she a massive fan of the television show Survivor, she she has all we see this this she reads intro what do you call it the bookshelf? Yeah, the bookshelf? But that what do you call that exposition? You have all this exposition of like how like she she is like a true survivalist, Like if she was ever, you know, stranded somewhere, she's going to know how to take care of herself. So then this plane crash is they're the only two survivors and the roles completely flip because Dylan O'Brien is the silver spoon.
Speaker 3: You know. He even says, like, nobody's ever taught me how to do anything.
Speaker 1: Would that scenario, I would have been willing to learn more than he was.
Speaker 4: No, But I think because he's such a nepo baby that like he can't his brain can't think like that, Like he is just all about Okay, when do we get off when someone's like it's me, like, obviously I'm gonna be saved or whatever, and the roles get reversed where she is thriving now and he is basically this and and by the way, she's really good at her job too, from what we from what you so she's good at both. But she gets mistreated and and whatever, and she's a little it's weird because she starts off. Her character is so socially awkward. In this film. We we find out she lives alone with a parakeet, so there's not a lot of human contact for her outside of work. She kind of tries to invite herself to get together.
Speaker 1: That killed me on the inside.
Speaker 3: Hilarious, hilarious, See.
Speaker 1: To me, it was cringe. I hated it.
Speaker 4: Well, it was cringe, yeah, obviously, but but it was it was it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: You know, was bedazzled with Brendan Fraser.
Speaker 4: And Elizabeth Hurley. I don't I can't remember if I even saw that that.
Speaker 2: Was the weaviest guy, and he would always go over and then his coworkers would make fun of him, but he wouldn't realize they were making fun of him. And I'm just like, ah, poor Brendan Fraser. And that's that's how I felt for this woman. Again, I felt every emotion. I was sad during most scenes rich.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, and I think that you're meant to to do to feel that way, and then the plane crash happens, and she just becomes she's she's she looks, she looks more assertive. I don't know if that was like filmmaking or just like how she played it. She looked more assertive, she looked more like like a sort of very attractive but dominant female that dominant females can't be attractive, but you know what I mean, Like, yeah, her beauty was much more accentuated. Once she was on the island. She seemed much more at home on the island, where Dylan O'Brien is not have his fancy designer clothes, and so the rolls completely flipped. And I don't know about you, Ben, I had problems probably about forty five minutes in, maybe fifty minutes in. About forty forty five minutes in, I didn't know who I.
Speaker 3: Was supposed to root for.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm glad you bring that up.
Speaker 3: Didn't know who I was supposed to identify with. I didn't know. And by the way, it flipped a few times.
Speaker 2: So so you kind of ran the gamut there. So let me say before we move on to that, because I made a mental note of this watching it. I think I've never seen any of the Maze Runner movies. Dylan O'Brien filmography is very very limited. I had never seen him in anything.
Speaker 3: He was in an episode of Curb Your and threw Okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure I saw that, but I don't. I don't remember because he's.
Speaker 2: Been in some other stuff too, so I haven't. Oh you have it, Yeah, I have it up. And it's a Team Wolf, the show which I didn't watch forgot about that. There's one, two, three Mays Runner movies that he was in. Yeah, twinless came out last year American Assassin from twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: And heard of that, and I heard it was not bad.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it, haven't seen it either. Love in Monsters, which I've also heard of from twenty twenty haven't seen it. And Caddo Lake from twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Did he do any I feel like I'm missing something here. Do you do anything in television.
Speaker 2: That's movie and shows his entire so and my thought watching and I'm not saying that he was bad or he somehow took away from the movie. Rachel McAdams was acting circles around him. I thought her, like you picked up on it as well. I thought what she did was absolutely phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Okay to interrupt, I will say that she had the much more challenging role and film.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will agree.
Speaker 4: So I think Dylan O'Brien's character we saw very little growth. Yeah, and I don't think we wanted to see necessarily that much growth.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll get into that because.
Speaker 3: I do there was there was some growth, I guess.
Speaker 2: But so point two to what you brought up before I get to the main point, was it is always stuck out to me in movies when you get stranded that the people always still look attractive, And I've always thought that that was dumb. I think they intentionally did that with me because you said, oh, it seems like she got more attractive the longest.
Speaker 3: I think she's good looking. I think she's good looking anyway.
Speaker 2: But like you're not, your hairs grow, you don't have makeup like I think movies in general for men and women you should be looking ugly.
Speaker 4: But there are certain women and well men too, that just the natural Yeah, natural beauties. And it's not like, I mean, should we say how long they were stuck on this island or is that better not.
Speaker 1: To No, yeah, let it ket it play out.
Speaker 4: I will say that the amount of time that they were stuck on this island, this wasn't like a Gilligan's Island type thing where they were there for years and years and years and years. They were there for a certain amount of time where I don't or or what was the movie with Brookshields back in the day, Blue Lagoon, right, Yeah, that would have moved with Yeah, And I mean they were attractive like the whole time. Part of the reason I think is because they're growing up so like you're naturally normally very attractive in your like twenties or whatever or what.
Speaker 3: And then it aging The.
Speaker 1: Reason I disagree with your assessment though, is that Dylan, Dylan O'Brien, they chopped his lips, his hair looked looked haggard.
Speaker 3: Well, because he didn't have the skills, He didn't know how to protect himself, and he didn't want to take for a little bit, he didn't want to take any advice from her, right, right.
Speaker 1: But I guess what I'm saying is I think the aesthetic of both characters was an artistic choice as opposed to me.
Speaker 3: I think it was because of how you're supposed to view these characters in this environment.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, and people excel better in environments. Now, the third point that you brought up and the most important one that I want to get into, because I was nervous about that going into this movie. I thought point you said that you oscillated back and forth one on how you felt about the characters. And I think we talked about this before, but it's been a problem a lot in like the last eight years of movies. But there's an idea called a Mary Sue where that's essentially Ray from the New Star Wars trilogy, where it's like she's inherently better than everybody with a lightsaber, and also she can fix the Millennium Falcon better than Harrison Ford can, and she knows how to forage through the desert, and she just is good at everything all the time, and it kind of makes the character one note compared to a Luke Skywalker who sucked at everything and kind of grows into being the Jedi master that you know him to be. And I was nervous, especially for the first like twenty minutes once they're on the island, I'm like, is this gonna be an over the top feminist movie? Because I respect Sam Raimi too much for him not to have depth and nuance in the movie. And I was like, this is gonna be one of those movies where where the fraternity guys the dick and she turns out is good at everything all the time and has no faults. And the movie does a very good job of making you think that's the trajectory it's on and then absolutely taking you an entirely different direction that I was thrilled that it decided to go that way.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, but the direction you're talking about, did not necessarily negate who these characters were.
Speaker 4: No, you know what I mean, it was done very well. Like we were set up to root for Linda Oh, what the heck was her name?
Speaker 3: Linda Little Linda Little ye, which is Rachel mcadam's character. We were set up to rou Bradley Preston. What a good rich white guy, right, Yeah? And she always called them Bradley too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, we're we're shown that we should be rooting for this character, right, Yeah. And what I did not realize, well, okay, the first time she makes a revelation on the island or something is revealed to her, right, were you at all surprised that that happened?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Were you all at all surprised about how she reacted to it? Like what she did after that the first revelation, Yeah, where something's revealed to her, she makes a choice whether to do something or not do something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I was not surprised.
Speaker 1: Me neither.
Speaker 4: And I feel like that's when something got flipped and I'm like, okay, yes, we're dealing with something here now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's actually there's one line of dialogue because I'm very Uh, those kinds I call those to bring it back as we always do. I call them Marvel lines of dialogue when like there's like a random thing apropos of nothing, like oh, if I fly my Iron Man suit too high, uh, the icing problem happens and then you're like, okay, so later fly too high right like and every especially the old school Marvel movies, always had that gimmick, so I always look out out for it. And like she points out a destination on the island, She's like, yeah, it's all though, it's all poisonous.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, I'm saying that the revelation became before that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying yes, yes, a thousand percent, but I'm saying once it hit that point. And I'm like, oh so, oh so you're saying like it was snowballing at that point. I'm like, oh, there's something. I was like, that's either where all this like we know exactly what it was.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 4: I just when she said that, Yeah, when she said, oh, by the way, that part of the island is it's just there's nothing there, there's no food, there's no poison.
Speaker 1: Ivy jacket Bush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew she was at that point, Yes, protecting something. It was pretty obvious to me.
Speaker 4: It was pretty obvious that that's okay, I know what's going on and what the plan is here.
Speaker 2: I also had that same thought with the poison bearing moment as well, like, well, they didn't tell us.
Speaker 4: That that was another good that was another I knew that was coming back. Obviously, I knew that was coming back. Yeah, it was just it's very good storytelling. And again, you and I are both very big on the unpredictable nature of of movies, and like I.
Speaker 1: Thought, it was just as likely that they were going to kill each other as it was.
Speaker 2: That they were gonna get married and spend an eternity on the island and everywhere in between was a possible outcome the entire time I was watching that movie.
Speaker 4: That's what I liked about it, and I probably I shouldn't have done this, But when I knew it was a two like just under two hours, I knew, and I kind of alluded to this at the top. There was gonna be other things that happened besides yeah, them just falling in love or them killing each other, one killing the other one, or getting rescued or not getting rescued, there's got it, and you have built Sam Raimi up into this Yeah, fantastic, to which he is. Yeah. But but at this, at this point, like you had raised my expectation like now there's there's there's it's more nuanced, like there's there's there's something coming here that that we're not expecting. And I'll be honest with you, the big reveal at the end, well there's it was kind of like one big reveal, but there's two small parts to it. I didn't see that coming, did not see that coming. This is basically the climax of the film. Yeah, where there.
Speaker 1: Is yes, no, I didn't see any of that happening.
Speaker 3: He yeah exactly, which was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was perfect.
Speaker 3: And then you go back and you find out more of what happened and what led up to this.
Speaker 2: And I will say, because uh uh, Dylan, I keep playing in his name here, O'Brian played a more one note character. But I will say there were several times where normally this kind of character, I'm like, Okay, he can die at any point.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: There were several times throughout the movie where I'm like, God, I hope he reforms, Like I hope he gets this together, which I think says something about either the writing or his performance that, like you, even though he's clearly the quote unquote like he's the bad guy, or at least that's the way he's portrayed most of it. You know, it's never cartoonish, it's never over.
Speaker 3: The No, it's really not. It's really not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, I mean viewing the video on the plane, the meeting with that he had with Linda in his office, you get. And and then obviously the the conversation he has with the all steak guy Dennis.
Speaker 1: Haysbert who was the president. To me, that's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He was Joe bu and uh what's his name?
Speaker 4: Not Joe Buh, the guy I can't remember his name now in Major League he was the first Basement Serrano, Pedro Serrano.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so anyway.
Speaker 1: I didn't oh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So then in that meeting, like I think the the whole d bag frat bro thing is kind of confirmed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, he has a meeting with I'm assuming what was going to be a future secretary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, despite him a smoke show.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, smoke show, despite him being engaged to another smoke show, and so then I'm like, Okay, this guy is kind of a uh, not a likable guy, but I don't know, man like, I don't know if it was just if it was part of the design of the film, of the direction, because we did see some very humanizing characteristic reveals from him where you you're I mean, he's still kind of bad. He's still a bad absolutely, but he was not like full on like cannot be redeemed bad like. There was still like a human, like a good human in there.
Speaker 2: Every Saw movie inevitably has one character that's just over the top. You're like, Okay, this guy's clearly throwing the group dynamic off. This person needs to go, and inevitably they stay till close to the end and die in a horribly graphic way. In every movie that was not this, at no point did they ever cross the threshold into that into In true me fashion, I'm sitting there watching the first office interaction with the two of them, where he's telling her she's not going to get the promotion, and I'm immediately flashing back to not getting their time in Pittsburgh and getting the getting the speech of just like, you're very valuable in the position that you're in right now, and we need you to do that position because.
Speaker 1: No one and it's just it was hidden.
Speaker 2: It's not evil, like it's not like I think the people's that are evil, but I definitely have a negative connotation of those people in my mind for sure. And that's how I described this guy's character. Not evil, but definitely a jag. That's an understatement.
Speaker 4: The other thing too, I think her employment was fairly secure at this company, given.
Speaker 2: That seven years I remember that line, seven years worth of tenure there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the guy who got promoted was there for six months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean, but that's secure employment.
Speaker 4: Right, But I'm saying like going forward, like she kind of had to stay there because President twenty four what was his president?
Speaker 3: Was his name?
Speaker 4: I can't remember anyway, President twenty four should remember basically told Dylan O'Brien's character is like, look, this guy you just promoted what was his name?
Speaker 3: Dominic Ah yeah, Donovan Donovan Donovan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's like, look, Donovan will drown like on his own without her, like he needs. So she could keep working there, but then at some point she was probably going to be you know, like I'm this is dead end and quite frankly, she never If she wanted to keep doing that the rest of her career, she could have, but h but she I don't know.
Speaker 2: If she There was actually a very good scene right before the plane crash that kind of shows you that she's done with that life. But it really never matters because that life is done. Yeah, it's the plane crash.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that, You're right, So she had kind of made up her mind that that whatever. I don't know what she was going to do when the plane landed. If the plane had landed, you know, if she was just.
Speaker 2: Gonna David Palmer, it was going to drive me nuts. Sorry, but yeah. And by the way, while we're talking about the plane crash, little two c g I for my liking, but still well done.
Speaker 4: What I I'm trying to think here? I know it was graphic. Yeah the tie or that was a tire suspenders thing that see? That was hilarious to me. It was that this tire, but.
Speaker 1: That yeah, it could have been suspenders. I thought it was a tie.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The absolutely loved it. And the the Asian guy hanging off the guy's leg.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that's so he was getting his teeth. Yeah, so how was how was that? What was his was kicking him? Because oh he was kicking his teeth.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay that part I did see. I was like, this is it was good to Maybe it was supposed to. Maybe it was supposed to be like to like they didn't want they wanted it less realistic for comedic effects.
Speaker 2: And I mean that was because when Sam Raimi did the og Spider Man trilogy, I think a lot of people didn't understand what is. Everyone was like, why does it look so stupid? Like even for the day, because like the First Spider Man's like ninety nine or two thousand, it's not like CGI is where it was today, but it green Goblin looks like a freaking Power Rangers character. Like it's it's you know, cheap, but like that's the aesthetic and like have you seen Drag.
Speaker 3: Me to Hell? Or no, no, drag Me to Hell? Was who again? Uh?
Speaker 2: Justin long is mainly but it's it's in my I said it was the grossest PG thirteen movie I've ever seen a lot of CGI gore in that I just think that's his his mo in the way that he does things. Now that CGI is more prevalent is. It's kind of that cartoonish look to it, and I even saw I don't want to I don't want to ruin who the character was. This is the jump scare scene that we reference. If you remember in Multiverse of Madness, at one point, Wanda's like coming through puddles towards the beginning of the movie and she like crawls through a gong and she's all like contorted in different ways. And when one person shows up in a vision, they're moving the exact same way. I saw several Raymy moments from other movies throughout this movie that I was like, Oh, she looks like how Wanda moved, and and that that kind of motion creeps me out. Maybe that's why it sticks out to me so vividly. R But the it's like the jagged and quick movement that like throws me off.
Speaker 4: I say, some actor had like a go to move that we have talked about on this podcast. It was one of the main character, one of the main starring actors in one of the films, and he and then you're like, and then he just did.
Speaker 3: Do his go to move again. But you said it about somebody, and I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 4: It was like a manner I mean it was different than like a whole body movement.
Speaker 3: It was like a facial tick or mannerism or something. I can't remember it was.
Speaker 4: It was hilarious when you brought up like, oh, yeah, he does do that all the time.
Speaker 3: It was like Owen Wilson saying wow. But it was like a like a way anyway, yeah, okay, Brad Pitt laughing.
Speaker 1: Maybe it could have.
Speaker 4: Been Brad Pitt laughing. Actually it could have been that. It might have been something with Brad Pitt in f one breaking.
Speaker 1: It down because he does in every movie.
Speaker 4: Did you ever see Taryn kill him do his Brad Pitt impersonation onl that It's not very accurate, but it is hilarious because like he'll say something like he'll be.
Speaker 3: Like stupid, but.
Speaker 4: Watch World war Z again the other day? God what okay? So what I wanted to get back to, Oh the tuna fish scene earlier. I was totally grossed out, and I'm like, it's harder and harder to find Rachel McAdams attractive here. Great job selling it, because then she looked gorgeous for the rest of the movie.
Speaker 2: The Hunting the Boars scene, and I will just say there is a vomit moment that will rival that was too much.
Speaker 1: I couldn't stop, dude, I couldn't stop. I thought it was hilarious, like America reminded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there there's there's that. And then there was this isn't the throw up scene. But did you ever see the It was a puppet movie that came out a few years ago with Melissa McCarthy, The Happy Time Murders.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, yes, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: And there's a scene, a sex scene in there between two puppets.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a climax of the sex. All right, it's so good.
Speaker 3: It is so good. Okay, but yeah, but this one was totally gross. Not that that puppet sex is not gross, but I mean it was just like, okay, stop all right. And then and I was gonna bring this up to you.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I was.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was going to bring this up to you too. You saw the amount of vomit. You know how much that character just ate where is all this.
Speaker 3: Food coming from?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I understand suspend disbelief, but I'm like, really, that person ate that much to vomit this much.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: I absolutely I loved it. I loved it. I loved so many parts of this movie. But it did get There's a little bit of there's a couple of girl. There's not a lot of gore. There's definitely some gross out.
Speaker 3: Gore was not till the very end, and then it gets really you know it, it's.
Speaker 4: Going pretty good. In the climac scene, Dylan O'Brien's character Bradley Preston said he had no experience cooking. They just ate out. Sometimes they'd have a personal chef come in. I dig it and then he prepares this dinner good point. That looks amazing, amazing, and I'm like, okay, really, this is again. I I'm all for suspending belief or suspending disbelief when I watch films or whatever, but I do think there are certain decisions that you don't necessarily need to make to you know, to pretty it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or they could have had him cook it and had it look exactly how we look at people listening to this to listen to my show, No, I've never used the stove. Very famously, my tenant called me when I moved out here to say, did you know your stove is broken, And I said no, because I've never used it before. And I know what me trying to cook for my first time on a freaking island looked like.
Speaker 3: With no utensils.
Speaker 1: She looks over his shoulder, like, now do this like I'm doing this on my own? Yeah, Like, no, I know exactly what it would look like, and it wouldn't have looked like what ends up coming out of what like they should have had it look like when he's trying to scoop the water and he can't even lay a leaf out flat the correct way right when he first thinks he's gonna make it on his own, That's how the food should have looked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and there was no montage where it like justifies.
Speaker 4: Did they say at the end how long exactly that they were stuck on that island?
Speaker 2: If they did? I know it, because so, yeah, I don't. I don't want to get into the end too much, because let's just say, we.
Speaker 3: Have to talk about the end.
Speaker 4: We won't talk about what the end is, but we have to talk about it because I had I had a very distinct reaction.
Speaker 2: And there is one element of the end where I've always stated if if I found myself stranded on an island or stuck in a saw trap or whatever it is, my inner monologue will be telling me, Ben, you're gonna get out of this moment, and when you get out of this moment, this is what you're gonna do, and you're gonna become rich.
Speaker 1: Like so, so as soon as the I.
Speaker 2: Mean that happens, I'm sitting there watching it and I'm like, I don't know if I would have done that or not, but I dig it.
Speaker 4: And here's that we're getting into the end. I honestly did not know because there's like sort of like an epilogue type scene at the end. I did not know how I felt about the ending, Right, is this good?
Speaker 3: Is this bad? Is this proper? Is it not proper? And I noticed myself I felt my face smiling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I must have liked it. I didn't know how to feel about it, but I was smiling when I was watching it.
Speaker 1: At any point. Did you think it was a figment of the imagination?
Speaker 4: There were times in this movie that I thought I wasn't sure if it was real, because when you have deserted island stuff.
Speaker 3: You know you have.
Speaker 1: Hallucinations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there are times where I was like, ah, is that real? Is that not real? I don't know the ending.
Speaker 4: I never thought that maybe I should have, but I always believe that that was that was real. Yeah, and and the final song was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember.
Speaker 4: You always notice it is referenced in that cringe scene at work earlier in the movie when they're.
Speaker 1: Talking about hious. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, So so I thought about this because I watched you watched it yesterdayfternoon. I watch it last night, and I was thinking about this today too. I'm like, I don't know how I'm gonnattack this because even though I know I was smiling, I still don't know if that's the right ending.
Speaker 3: I still don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously, you know, you can make whatever decision you want as a filmmaker or a scriptwriter how you want to end a story. But I just I don't know if I felt good about how this ends. Yeah, And you know, you know what it makes me think about, not that this ever would have happened in real life, but certain times in real life. You know, they always say histories told by the people who win the warst right, And I wonder how many times, stuff like this happens in real life and we just don't even know about it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Or we're just we just believe what we're told because well, we weren't there, so we listen to people who.
Speaker 1: Were thousand percent.
Speaker 2: Man, I think about that kind of stuff all the time, and uh, yeah, yeah, the hell knows.
Speaker 1: It's a good it's definitely good. Think fees on the way out.
Speaker 4: There are certain films too where I will have my phone out and I will be following, like certain films that I think are hard to follow, right, And I if I'm not sure of what happened in a certain part and I feel like I need to understand it to watch the rest of the.
Speaker 3: Movie, I'll pull my phone out, I'll look at it. But sometimes when you do that, you you you read, you keep.
Speaker 4: Reading and you're not supposed to and you don't know you're spot and then something is spoiled for you. And I said, okay, not that I didn't know what was going on in this movie. I mean I think it was pretty yeah, straightforward. Yeah, but I'm so glad I did it because of the twists and the turns and how it was. There were certain moments that kind of set up the climax that that's where I didn't know, like, Okay, is this reality or is it not reality? And then I'm like, I feel like I should check to see if this really happened or not. And I'm like, no, because the way it's it's it's being presented to me. I need to believe what I believe at this point. And then if the truth is not told at the end or I'm still unsure, then I'll look up at I'll look it up.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: This was so good to just be dialed in, focused and and you know, following it beat by beat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was great in the way they delivered so many lines like for every oh, if you rub a berry on your arm, it's poison moment, there was another.
Speaker 3: What the hell was at? So?
Speaker 4: I don't she's she's she's essentially giving him tips, survival tips, and she takes a berry and and she said if there's a reaction, you know, it's poisonous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there was a reaction, was there not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So she must have I guess you okay, And now I'm just thinking about this out loud. She must have known that doing that with one Barry was not gonna.
Speaker 1: Be oh for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, But like to me that that was one of those marvel moments I talk about.
Speaker 3: That's just very totally.
Speaker 2: For every moment like that, there would be a moment where like, oh, this washed up on shore and I found it and I would accept that hook line and sinker like it didn't even cross my mind that it.
Speaker 3: Didn't It didn't either.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: The thing that we're talking about I did notice was I'm like, you know what, that doesn't strike me as something that would be on a private plane but maybe yeah, and it looked awfully good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it didn't cross my mind as suspicious at all. Now, And that's the sign of a good movie because you know, me, I'm watching I'm picking that thing apart the entire time I'm watching it, and like that just went in one ear and out the other. And I was like, yeah, totally. And it's just when you can deliver lines like that and put it into the script in a way that it does and get on my radar, I think that's good writing. I think that's good storytelling because I'm typically pretty observant with that kind of stuff, and that because I'm not hearing the music. And even do you know who did this? Yeah on guy Danny Elfman, Yeah, freaking Batman. This all the Tim Burton movies, the Spider Man.
Speaker 3: I think he's worked with. Said, yeah, these guys have a.
Speaker 1: Relation, Yeah they do. And but he just does.
Speaker 2: He was in he did Avengers Age of Ultron music, like he does all the good shit. I never hear the music though, you always hear the music. Like to bring it back to an old episode of Off Topic, I remember you saying, what did you think of the jazz music in one battle after another? Like, I didn't even hear the music. I rewatched it on the plane. All I heard was the music.
Speaker 3: What scene was that?
Speaker 1: Again? All the scenes? Like the music?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's prevalent the entire movie and the entire first viewing, I was so into the plot and like what was going on that I did not hear the jazz music.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, I really didn't bother me that much. I like jazz.
Speaker 2: You were like I found it so grating, and I'm watching it on the plane, I'm like, man, it's jazz music. Isn't shutting the hell up?
Speaker 4: You know what I might have brought this up at the at the time, maybe I didn't, and I didn't really think the music stood out to me in this film at all except for the very ending scene.
Speaker 3: That that's the one that stood out.
Speaker 4: And sometimes, by the way, I missed me, I miss music plenty, Like there's there's other times purposes Okay, well maybe for this, but like there's a lot of times where somebody tells me about them, like, oh god, I didn't even realize that, you know, because it's it's always to.
Speaker 3: Me like it's it's part of a film. And I think ninety percent of the time it's just done because that's what you do.
Speaker 1: But there's no purpose, and if it's done well, it disappears into like you don't right exactly here exactly.
Speaker 4: But then when you make it purposeful, like that last song in this movie, like you didn't pick up on it. I'm sure other people may not have, but so so to get it back to one battle after another, I think the reason that that music was so greating to me and why it stood out so much, it didn't match the emotion and the intensity of the scene. And I think that's and Paul Thomas Anderson does this a Ton. He's always messing with your mind. Yeah, you know, and in trying to give you something like what's a new way I can distract an audience? That is, you know, seemingly you don't know if you should read into it. You don't know you should ignore it. Oh, I know, let's put this weird freestyle jazz in these scenes that that where where normally you'd hear like the you know, like the.
Speaker 3: The I would say, the Born music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you'd always hear that, and and and it did because I didn't I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know what to feel. I didn't know like and so that's another way of like storytelling.
Speaker 2: And it was in nature, That's what I know. Yes, very very that whole movie is forrenetic, Like Leo spends half the movie not knowing the password, you know what I mean, And it's just like.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, yeah, did you see You probably didn't see this, but before the the NFC Championship game, Fox Fox did a parody of the phone phone booth scene or the phone the payphone scene where this guy is trying to get tickets to the to the Seahawks game and they think he's a RAMS fan and he can't remember the password for to be.
Speaker 3: It was pretty good.
Speaker 1: It was pretty that's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: One other thing I wanted to bring up with you. There is a scene and I got to be very very difficult how I am very very careful, I should say, of how I bring this up. There is a scene in which it is a very intense scene. And this is the part where you don't know what one of the characters is is capable of, You don't. It's a scene that happens after sort of a betrayal of sorts.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of those.
Speaker 4: After after a vomit, after the bomb scene, were talking about there's a scene that's so of the come.
Speaker 3: Up and yeah, yeah, yeah, now that was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: However, eighty percent of the way through it, I'm like, no, this, this isn't. Yeah, this isn't happening, is it.
Speaker 2: I had the same thought because it was too far of an escalation for the character in that.
Speaker 3: I didn't think it was.
Speaker 1: You didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't think it was because again, I don't know what that character is capable of at this point, knowing what that character had done up until that point, knowing the character's background as we did.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, maybe I'm just too jaded and I've seen too other, too many other movies where that is also a plot point, and uh, the stuff that the people do in those movies to find themselves in that situation is much more commensurate with the punishment, okay, than what he ended up ultimately going through.
Speaker 4: I am one hundred percent with you on that. However, in this I I didn't I honestly didn't know. Yeah, because I didn't, I didn't know how far this would go, and it went pretty it went even further.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, by the end of the movie, it wouldn't have felt out of place right exactly, but in the moment at that time, it did feel.
Speaker 1: Out of place.
Speaker 4: And it goes back to how this actor is playing this character, which was just yeah, it was great. People have probably figured out who and now you're you're genderizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay, yeah, yeah whatever whatever, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: In any event, and again I don't know if I'm I'm gonna get ridiculed for this, but like Rachel McAdams is like another one of my I don't even know her real name. But the girl you always make fun of me for for like in Megan and Get Out.
Speaker 1: Will Yeah major McAdams is one.
Speaker 2: Since I was eighteen years old, I'm like, this is the most beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's weird because like I think of her because I thought she was just absolutely drop dead gorgeous in Mean Girls when she was.
Speaker 1: Really george she's georgeous and everything.
Speaker 4: Well, but then since then, I think she's more like she's she's more beautiful, if that makes sense. Okay, And and uh, and she did like I loved her in Spotlight God Bad you saw Spop? Yeah, okay, loved her in that movie. Yeah, she it was weird. I think, did did she look different to you? And I know she had a mini acting hiatus? Did she look different to you from Doctor Strange one to Doctor Strange too?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, but she's still she's still hot, She's.
Speaker 1: Still absolutely everybody ages. I mean, I feel like that's part of it. She is.
Speaker 4: She is married to the guy who wrote, Oh this is gonna I wanted to remember this, he wrote what movie?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna look it up right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, Because she's I think she's married to if not there, they have children to.
Speaker 2: I'd be honest with you, well, you're looking that up. If she pulls off one more horror movie, I'd be willing to label her a scream queen because I also freaking love Red Eye with her.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that was great. Red Eye was really good.
Speaker 2: I think that's a low key banger that doesn't get enough. And you have you ever seen the trailer for that movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first half of it's like a rom column and then like there's a hard twist and I remember seeing that as a team Yeah, uh, this is this is genius.
Speaker 1: And sure enough the movie.
Speaker 3: It doesn't. The twist happen fairly early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like twenty minutes into it.
Speaker 2: But like the whole half the trailer is the first fifteen minutes, like him guessing her drink and being like witty.
Speaker 3: The complexity of the grapefruit.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's like and like then the voice over like the cheesy ninies big sometimes you meet love in the most unexpected places, and like they lean into that element of it and then it turns out it's like, oh no, he actually is a terrorist and he has her father hostage.
Speaker 3: You know what else?
Speaker 4: I will say that I think she was I mean, everybody ripped on True Detective season two, and by the way, deservedly, So.
Speaker 1: That's where I bailed on the series.
Speaker 3: I think I thought she was one. I thought her and Colin Farrell were two of the brighter I blocked it out.
Speaker 1: I forgot she was in it and blocked it out that much.
Speaker 3: She is married to Jamie Lindon, who wrote the film Ten Years. I don't know if you know this.
Speaker 4: No, that's with like the Tatums when they're married about a ten year high school.
Speaker 3: Reunion and all these people are coming back.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 4: He wrote Dear John, which is another Channing taine of vehicle with Amanda Seafried, Seafried, Seafreed whatever. No, what I remember. He wrote We Are Marshall, which I actually just watched a couple of weeks ago. Again, I did not realize he wrote, but yeah, and they met. I don't know where they met. They I don't know, probably set somewhere. But he went to Florida State, which is you know, I love I root for my Seminoles in college football and basketball. So that's that's why it stuck in my mind, because anytime I see Okay, I don't know if you know this.
Speaker 3: Ben, we have time, we can get into this a little bit.
Speaker 4: Like when I was growing up in like my early twenties, maybe my late teens, early twenties, I don't want to say fore gone conclusion, but I felt it was written in my life that I would marry a celebrity.
Speaker 3: Like I just feel like, so I didn't know how it was gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I just felt like, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna impress, I'm gonna tell a joke and she's gonna laugh and we'll fall in love and then she'll marry it. I just felt like that's kind of a weird thing to think, but I just in the back of my mind, I just always like, yeah, obviously gonna marry a celebrity. At some point, I had a rotating list of fifty okay that I would update bi monthly, like every other month, not twice a month, just kind of kind of like who I was shooting for.
Speaker 2: So you'd take time to scratch people off, be like officially, if they're interested, I'm not anything.
Speaker 4: No, no, if they were, no, the whole goal was to get somebody interested, okay, you know like that, like whether it was like number one or number thirty seven, It didn't matter.
Speaker 2: But if it's a list of fifty and then you find five new ones, did it become a list of fifty five?
Speaker 3: No? No, some people would drop off.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I mean, dude, as stupid as this sounds, who's going to keep a.
Speaker 3: List of fifty five. It's a list of fifty.
Speaker 1: So I don't even know if you realize you're doing this.
Speaker 2: But because I know you've seen the show before, but as you've highlighted on this podcast, you never rewatched it. Yeah, but there's an episode of Friends where they all have their list of five celebrities.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that they can sleep with. Yeah, and he means Isabella Rosaline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he has the list that's laminated, but he had taken her off, so she was.
Speaker 4: If I lived I lived, if I lived in New York, and it's it's totally different because you're I mean, Appleton, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: You're not going to meet a.
Speaker 2: Whole unless you go to sky what's it called sky Lounge or whatever? The comedy class.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, why could I not think of it? Skyline comedy Skyline Anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 3: How we got on this.
Speaker 4: Oh, So so anytime I see a movie and I feel like even a hint of attraction to one of the characters, which obviously I do.
Speaker 3: With Rachel McAdams, I always look her up like is she single?
Speaker 1: OA?
Speaker 3: Is she divorced? Separated?
Speaker 4: Just just like yeah, just just because, like you know, it's it's always nice to know you have a shot.
Speaker 1: Oh your husband's a writer. Huh, I couldn't have to direct?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, what's Oh god, who was who is the one? Scarlett Johansson and Colin Jost? Yeah, like what is going on there? And he I don't even know if he was, like maybe he was hosting Weekend Update when they met. But but there's plenty of like of.
Speaker 1: She's an avenger. I don't care what your host did.
Speaker 3: Tina Fey married a writer, you know.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I'm getting off track here, off topic exactly. Yeah, So my my whole and like my wife, like, listen, we're we like being married to each other.
Speaker 3: We're very happy, we're in love.
Speaker 4: But I don't think like I just I don't know. I've never talked to my wife. I would never talk to my wife about this, but I feel like if say.
Speaker 1: I'm going to this one.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of a good one. Let's say Danielle Fischel, who was always top five for me boy means World Pega Lawrence. If she and I think she's married, Oh, she's married to a total goober. You should see this guy like you could have done so much better. But if she like let and she's a Packers fan, which I always thought was my inn right, I have my buddy Freddie raz got me a Tepenga trading card that's sitting in my office at home on my on my depth. Anyway, if if like we mean it a Packers game or whatever, and we're flirting back and forth and she wants to like she's like, hey, I think we should pursue this and and and you know, I think my wife would understand. I would never bring this up to her, But I just feel like, in the back.
Speaker 3: Of my mind she'd probably understand you.
Speaker 4: And you know what, and you know what she's talking about seeing Backstreet boys. Again, if if I have always said this and this isn't even like a like a thing like if she like and I would never tell her this either. But if she has the chance to get low with Nick Carter something like that.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Yeah, absolutely, I mean it wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Like like just just like, hey, this is like a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Speaker 3: I'll understand. I'll get over it.
Speaker 1: You do you I might too, I might too, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's why I found out how Rachel McAdams is with and by the way, you know what else I learned about her and I guess I didn't realize that she's Canadian.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was gonna say, it makes me like her less. That's mean. I love Canada.
Speaker 4: I always used to get her mixed up with Rebecca Hall for years, and Rebecca Hall, I think is nowhere near as gorgeous as as Rachel McAdams is. But I would always be like, oh, yeah, it's that movie with with Rebecca Hall. Oh no, it's Rachel McAdams is in that one. You know, for years I got.
Speaker 1: Him Channing Tatum and John Cena.
Speaker 3: I could see that.
Speaker 1: I do it all the time.
Speaker 3: Acting chops I think are somewhat similar to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I do refer to John Cena as the poor man's Channing Tatum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's probably pretty accurate, because yeah, I think Tatum is a is a more advanced.
Speaker 1: Is great. He seems like a very nice dude. I enjoyed the movies that I see him in.
Speaker 3: He got you gotta type cast him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does does not have a whole lot of range, which is okay. No, my buddy stir Fry tells me, he's like, you gotta see this, you gotta see this funny. Yeah, that's with what's his name? From Beat the Bad Friends podcast Sam Andrew Santino. Yeah, I wouldn't know who else is in that one. Oh god, it's uh zach Efron in that too, yes, zach Efro. And I can't remember who the third friend.
Speaker 2: Years ago, but like I still randomly anytime anyone talks to me. But I almost said about Channing Tatum, about about John Cena, I mean, have you seen Ricky?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said it's great, But he did also say you got to see Blockers, And I saw Blockers.
Speaker 2: That was fine. Yeah, that one was okay. Again, I when people like, well, who's in Blockers? And I remember very Villas in there.
Speaker 3: Remember John Cena was in that G I.
Speaker 1: Joe movie with just They looked very similar.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's wrap this up.
Speaker 4: I want to make sure, we hit on all the points that we talked about.
Speaker 3: Did it ever drag? No, not at all, Not at all me neither.
Speaker 4: It was almost too There was a couple of conversation conversations on the beach, but I was dialed into those conversations because I felt like.
Speaker 3: It was important because of how one of these care was evolving. Yeah, every dialogue ending totally believable. By the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was not any kind of like, you know, the big reveal of the big twist.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh, yeah, right, I was not. I was like, oh my god, this is awesome.
Speaker 2: Now I'm telling you. I said it to start the podcast. I think I might pull the trigger because if I don't, this is exactly I am. This movie is made for me. Yeah, and I had so much fun.
Speaker 3: I don't know there's enough for you.
Speaker 2: There was, But like, again, it doesn't have to be all gore, you know what I mean? Like and realistically, like I love the Saw movies. I don't love them for the gore. I love them for the story. And then the gore is just a part of part of the entire process for it. And again, you know, I'm a Sam Raimi fan boy, like to bring this full circle. I feel like this is a good story to end it on the whole idea of Cabin in the Woods, which, for those of you listening this, this whole podcast was kind of birthed from me saying that Cabin in the Woods was a masterpiece and you saying like it was fine, like Cabin in the Woods is all a mom on tage.
Speaker 3: Hold On. First of all, I did not say it was fine.
Speaker 1: I said it was fine.
Speaker 3: I said it was really good.
Speaker 4: But I wouldn't I the thing that I always stopped short of calling it was a masterpiece. I never wanted to call it a master.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 3: It was. It was good.
Speaker 4: I liked it, it was it was very cool. It What was great about it was I don't want to turn this into Cabin other Woods.
Speaker 2: But but I think it's a good way to end it, just because the whole thing was I Sam Raimi. And that's why I love Cabin in the Woods is because I'm like, oh, I get why they're doing this because Sam Raimi did this in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: Like that. I loved that kind development.
Speaker 3: In that sense, it is a masterpiece as far as film goes.
Speaker 1: It is not yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's just a really good and you know, and I'll tell you this too, I can't rewatch. It cannot cannot rewatch.
Speaker 1: I've seen it at least four times.
Speaker 4: But what made it so great for me is I didn't know over the top ending. For sure, well it's over the top ending, but I didn't really part of what What I was intrigued me watching it is like there's like kind of like these two separate storylines going on, two separate plots that are connected, but they're not connected to each other. And and I didn't really know what was going on, and then you know, once it's revealed what's going on, and then the ending, it's just kind of like, I don't know, man, it's I can't it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It does not hold the same weight the second viewing. I've tried. Why you know what, I will watch right, I think, like.
Speaker 4: When the gates get opened, I want to say, yeah, yeah, where everybody's just yeah, dude.
Speaker 3: I will rewatch that every time.
Speaker 2: I've passed that scene, just to like embrace everything, because I always pick something different every time I see it.
Speaker 4: It's just that that, and then I'll watch it all the way to the end. But the whole setup, it's just too much, for lack of a better term.
Speaker 3: It's too much masturbation, like to undergo all that to see that at the end.
Speaker 2: But I'm getting dejaan Vou says, stop me if I've told this on the podcast before, but like what always sticks out to me because it was it's so gratuitous.
Speaker 1: In that movie.
Speaker 2: But if you've seen The Evil Dead Evil Dead two specifically, you're just like, oh, I get it, because an Evil Dead too. There's a wolf head on the wall and it turns and starts all the chairs start talking to Bruce Campbell in the cabin, and then the wolf head on the wall turns to him and starts talking. And then you go to cabin in the woods and the same wolfhead is on the wall and they're playing truth or Dare and the stoner dares the hot blonde to go and make out with the wolf, and you think the wolf's gonna come alive the whole time, and it never does. She just tongue kisses this thing for like forty five seconds, pulls away and just goes thank you. Because that movie set the precedent for ba ba ba ba ba a billion different movies that all stole like that kind of like there's moments like that we're like, oh, these guys are fucking.
Speaker 3: Just on Boyd, who did that movie? Do we know?
Speaker 1: I can figure that out now?
Speaker 4: Okay, one other thing I wanted to bring up, actually Campbell, Yes, that's what I was gonna bring up. He was Did you notice I didn't because he was He was not. It was pictures of him in this movie. He was not actually acting in real life. He was Bradley Preston's father, the owner of the company. So if you look in the office, like you'll see photos of Bradley and Bruce Campbell together.
Speaker 2: I'm not in bad health or something like why wouldn't they find a way to show him dying or something?
Speaker 3: How old is he?
Speaker 2: I mean, he's got to be Drew Goddard. First of all, did the Cabin in the Woods? Bad Time? At the at the El Royaley? That project Hail Mary that's coming out? The Martian Cloverfield this guy's good or the.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yeah, Martian was great. I thought Hail Mary already came out. It didn't. I Okay, when the hell does that come out? They've been pumping it up for.
Speaker 2: A while yeah, sometime in March, I don't remember when, all right, and then what was the twenty seven years old the.
Speaker 3: El Royale movie. Wasn't Hemsworth in that too?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: So he's done two Hemsworth movies?
Speaker 2: Well what was the Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, they get along. He did all three clover Field movies, which they were all so different. Yeah, he was going to do the Sinister sixth movie with Andrew Garfield that got canned after they is they scrapped that whole universe.
Speaker 4: I know I can always bring it back with the multiverse. It all comes back to Marble.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, X Force did they end up? Did they scrap this one too? Oh? Yeah, they canceled it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, he was supposed to do that with dead Pool and the rest of that cast as well.
Speaker 3: They could still obviously go back to that.
Speaker 4: I just feel like, after you've done Deadpool and Wolverine and Waiver Doomsday coming up. I just don't Yeah, I don't really see a way that you can make that. Maybe you can, well, no, you can't even make it as a television show because Ryan Reynolds wouldn't do it then and without Deadpool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no point to do that at that point. All right, I think we've gone far enough with this. Please, I'm doing it ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so here's my problem. I probably rated Mercy too high last week because I have to rate this one higher because I enjoyed it so much more. I am going to go with an eight point seventy five better than eight and a half, not quite as good as a nine. And I think it was because Rachel McAdams was maybe too good and I wanted to see more interplay between two actors really at the peak of their powers, you know, and I didn't see that. And whether that was by design or not, maybe if they do that, then McAdams performance isn't as good.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But so I take away for that, right and you know, and I don't know. Maybe maybe that's my only problem with this because the rest of it was so good it kept me on my toes for most of the movie. Yeah, eight point seventy five. But I just do think that whole that of that, that play between the actors, it just wasn't It wasn't. It didn't meet my my expectations for a ten, okay, or a nine or higher.
Speaker 1: Also, bonus points for originality.
Speaker 3: And very very original.
Speaker 2: It's not because like Running Man was great, it was a reboot the Longest Walk or The Long Walk was just great. It was a short story turned into another thing, like this was its own thing.
Speaker 4: I will say, did it remind you of because this was you know, I'm just thinking about this again. This is kind of a horror movie set in a tropical What about.
Speaker 1: Old Oh a little bit, yeah, definite.
Speaker 4: A little bit of an aspect to that as well, but fresh twists and and I felt like I didn't bring this up early. I'll bring it up now to close it out. I felt like, God, they're really setting this story up here, like get to the island, get on the plane already they're on the plane like twenty minutes into the movie. Oh yeah, it's felt like a long time, but it really wasn't.
Speaker 2: And I will say, having just gotten back from Thailand, the one thing that stuck out to me. I'm not willing to take off parts for this.
Speaker 3: You are you glad that you watched this movie after you went to Thailand, after you got back, after you went on those flights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, But one thing I did notice, because there's only so many airports. I island hopped onto four different islands over the two weeks, and with planes. Uh, first I got I went to a plane to the first one. Then you ferry from island. But every single like the planes come and go from that one place, probably four or five times. It's not a huge airport, but like it's two different places around the Thailand area, and they always fly very low. Like I remember looking down at all the islands, being like, man if I were trying to hide, people be looking at me all the time on these islands, and I was sitting there, I'm like, I can't believe not a single plane is flying over these islands right now. And like again there's thousands of them, so maybe they're just not in run of one of those ones.
Speaker 1: But I can tell you, like I actually had the thought without having seen this movie.
Speaker 2: I'm looking out of my plane window and I'm like, man if I wanted to go off the grid, I just hop on one of these islands, but these planes would inevitably find me.
Speaker 4: I think that, And I don't know. I mean, I don't want to reveal too much, but there are plenty of shots of a very expansive ocean. Yeah, that make make it seem like this is pretty desperate, pretty desperate. Sure, yeah yeah, but whether it stuck out, whether it was or not, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in any event, that's send help. Would absolutely recommend catching it in theaters before it leaves. But whenever, I absolutely loved it. Good luck, have fun, don't.
Speaker 4: They don't die. That's the next one. I can't wait. That's gonna be. I've showed the trailer to other people. They're like, I don't know what this is, and I'm like, neither do Ben and I. Yeah, that's why we're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Talking about exactly. So looking forward to getting into that one with you guys. Have a good week.