Speaker 1: Chief Meteorologist Dave Frasier. But first, Dave, did you hear what we were talking about right before the break?
Speaker 2: Did you? Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And based on the way you just laughed, I know you have stories too, but you're not going to tell them on yourself because you don't have anonymity of the text line.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know how to index them or put them in a catalog the pool for everything, which.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that you've got any story that starts with there was Goldschlager, or there was there was uh you know, like uh uh tequila, those go to the top. Any any story that starts with those two that goes to the top. All right, let's talk about weather for a moment, shall we.
Speaker 2: Uh this is I'll give you. I'll give you a story. Oh hit me just because remind you. As you were talking, I thought about watermelon and I don't know what a I don't know what a run story was, but you know, alcohol may have been involved. But we used to go to Fort Lauderdale all the time in Florida for spring because that was the thing back in the day. And we can go down there and you ever heard of the grease pig? Oh? Yeah. Yeah. So you take a watermelon and you just lather it up with vassiline and you toss it in the water, and the watermelon floats, and then you proceed to play football with a bunch of guys drinking all day. The watermelon's popping out all over the place. You're drinking all day in the water. You don't know you've consumed as much as you have, and so it's just one of those days, and the sunsets and all of a sudden you realize maybe you've had a lot to drink. Well, that one evening, we're staying at this hotel and I decided I'm getting up on the second floor that climbing down a palm tree would be fun. Oh no, it's not. No. The next morning, the cuts on my thighs and my legs were ridiculous. And that's when you wake up and go, huh, did I put a porcupine? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did I put a porcupine in a headlock?
Speaker 2: Last night? What's to happen? Your quarterback? Of the watermelon's gone wrong? Exactly telling you if you've never played it, it is fun. Get a bunch of guys together, put a bottle to something, out to the side and have fun. It's a great time doing it.
Speaker 1: We have actually done this, only you cut a very specific hole in the watermelon. You then pour a couple of bottles of vodka orever clear if you have that into the watermelon. Then you recork the watermelon. Then you play with it so it all gets shake shaken around, and then you eat the watermelon and is infused with the liquor problems. I'm telling you, Oh, don't even get me started our hunch punch. Okay at parties, don't even do it.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, let's talk about weather now that we could do that. So right now, I actually am enjoying the heck out of this weather that we're having right now, but I'm also ready for sweater weather. Yeah, well you're going to get to sweatter weather. We want sweater weather.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I kind of figured we'd start talking, you know, with Labor Day coming this weekend, it's the unofficial end of summer, and meteorological summer ends on the thirty first of August, and so I'm sure everybody's wondering, you know, what does September and beyond look like? And it continues to be the same we've talked about week after week that the long range forecast continue to keep Colorado and Denver in the front range, specifically on the warm and dry side. So again that's warmer than and drier than average. Doesn't tell you anything about the day to day, but we had seen with the long range outlooks that June, July, and August have all come up a little warmer. July, interestingly enough, wasn't that much warmer. It was only six tenths of a degree warmer than normal. June was warmer, probably about five degrees, and August is trending warmer as well, so we could end up with what could be statistically the second warmest average summer temperature on record. But we'll have to wait a couple more days to get those final numbers. So it's not sweater weather, not anytime soon. But you know, the cooler nights are definitely with the shorter days coming.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's glorious. And I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Florida and South Florida and it's still so hot all the time there and they never get the cool off. And I'm like, you know what, every day when I get up to walk my dog as the sun comes up, we have that nice like briskness to the air that I love, love, love. Now, what is in the you know, so we don't see anything coming our way in the next few weeks. There's nothing in the immediate longer term forecast that we need to be worried about. And do we need to just like water our trees and stuff as they get ready to hibernate themselves.
Speaker 2: Continue, continue through at least the end of September with your normal watering schedule that you do all summer long, because September can be a dry month and we still get the warm days in the sunlight. And actually your law and if it turned, the little bron's probably going to start to green up. With the shorter days and the cooler nights, you'll start to notice it growing a little more. So just maintain that for at least another month. I wouldn't give up on the season. Yet. You get into October and we start to see, you know, nips of cold that might be a concern for sprinkler systems and everything, then we could start talking about, you know, kind of the end of the season. But you're good for at least another month. And yeah, keep the watering schedule going about every three days is all you need. You don't need to overdo it and waste your money, all right.
Speaker 1: So one last question, and that is it's a holiday weekend. What are we looking at this weekend? Day, Fraser?
Speaker 2: Pretty good. I mean we're gonna get in the low nineties today. You're gonna like tomorrow it'll be about eighty five sunny with a few afternoon clouds. Fantastic, in the upper eighties. Saturday. I think we could touch ninety degrees again. But again I stress at this time of the year, it's not the heat of you know, June and July, the temperatures go up very quickly in late August. We do have a small chance of a few showers in on Sunday and Monday. There might be one or two south of the city, so think of Castle Rock and Larkspur and up and over Monument Hill. Not a lot going on Sunday Monday. However, I have said this for the last few days, and we'll continue to tell people who are planning to be in the Colorado Mountains that rain chances are a little better there Saturday, Sunday and Monday, it'll be typical afternoon and evening showers and thunderstorms. So there's a pretty chance if you're heading to the mountains you're going to bump into a shower or two over the holiday weekend.
Speaker 1: And more importantly, if you're planning on doing a big hike up the mountains, you're gonna want to start that real early, so you beat. Have you seen these stories that have come out the last couple of days of people getting left on the mountain, like there was a work retreat and a guy gets left on the mountain and he finally gets to the summit that a storm comes. He's not ready, I mean, ill prepared. People hiking is a disaster.
Speaker 2: You know, our meteorologist Chris Tomer has climbed every single mountain multiple times in Colorado and had slept on every peak. He slept on all the fourteen ers. He wrote a book about it, and he will tell you you've got to get going before sunrise. You've got the summit before the early morning, late morning at the latest, and get down, especially when you know there's a chance of storms on the forecast.
Speaker 1: Well, Dave Frasier, I love like I said, I'm enjoying the weather that we're having right now, so we can have this for a little while longer. I'm not ready for the first snowstorm. I have a story on the blog today about aspen's peaking. Are you guys reporting that they're not peaking yet? When to expect it? When are you guys looking at that yet? So our aspen peepers know when to do what they need to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we started looking at a fall color guide right around this time of the year. Some of it has to do with the changing seasons and the colder night. The other thing that can cause things to turn early up there is drought. So sometimes if we're in a drought, and we've seen that in Colorado, the season can peak earlier and and earlier. So those are things that will keep an eye. On Tomorrow's Thursday, we'll get an update on the drought monitor. I will tell you that the state as a whole, the mountains included, looks good. The problem area is the Front Range and Metro Denver. This Wow, it needs a little more moisture. But the mountains are actually looking good. Western slope looks good, Eastern plains look good. We're just struggling with a little bit here in the city.
Speaker 1: So even the southern mountains are good because there they've been the problem children for a long time.
Speaker 2: Lately, Yep, they're good. So I like where we are. You know, we've had a warm summer, but it's been in spurts, and I kind of like the way the summer's laid out. We had our problems with fires, We've had wet periods. We've had sprinkles of rain here and there to keep us from completely drying out. We do have some drought issues, but overall, I think the summer has gone back and forth enough that it's been decent summer. It hasn't been blazing hot, it hasn't been the washout there was a couple of years ago with all the severe weather. It's been a little of everything all summer long.
Speaker 1: I have an accusatory text message asked Dave Fraser when his vacation is over with and when you will return to the Channel two Fox thirty one studio. Have you been vacationing the nerve of you, Dave Fraser.
Speaker 2: I was off the end of last week and Monday of this show. I was actually on the air last night. I had to take my son back to Milwaukee, in which you guys just visited and drop him off for his final year of college, getting closer to getting them off the payrolls for a few days. But I am back, so all good, and I'll be here to get you through labor day weekends.
Speaker 1: Okay, one last question, because I love this question. Why do clouds sometimes look like they are all sitting on an invisible glass table. The tops will be all fluffy and look massive, but the bottom is flat, flat bottom clouds make your rock and brain go well, not sure if this has.
Speaker 2: Been asked, Yes, it has, and we talked about it. It's called the lifting condensation level. There's a line in the atmosphere at which the temperature above that will cause condensation. So below that line, the moisture is not condensing. Above that line, the temperature is at a threshold that the cloud starts to form from that flat bottom where that temperature line is, and then continues to bubble up above that. So the listener is right, it does appear to have like a glass bottom, like the cloud's literally sitting on a ceiling and then rise from there. And it has to do with where that temperature line is. The causes the condensation to kick in. All Right, Dave Frasier.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you next week now that you're finally back from your unending vacation.
Speaker 2: Just cappy Labor Day, folks. Don't do anything stupid with alcohol that got today.
Speaker 1: That's a Frasier