Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Ensure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Welcome to Thursday, and would be today? Is Dave Silver my usual guy sometimes in the week. Good to be back. How's that my usual guy sometimes in the week, sometimes in the week. Yeah, that's contradiction. And our guy Kobe, Hello, Kobe, Kobe.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 3: I'm sure everybody knows by now, but the women's team.
Speaker 5: Lost women's basketball, losing their first game in the Big twelve Tournament to Colorado sixty one to fifty eight. Arizona had a pretty big lead and you could not hang on by pretty sad.
Speaker 3: How many times have you seen that this year in men's and women's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they were outscore twenty one to ten in the fourth quarters. They had an eleven points I basically had an eight point lead and could not close out thing out.
Speaker 3: So there was a weird, a weird I'll say this a weird interview at the end with the broadcast guy. I don't know his name, although he's been on the show an idea because you know, this is this what she does after the game, and he kind of misspoke about what's next and looking at the future after this, kind of maybe knowing that there's not gonna be a future this year if they don't make the tournament, right.
Speaker 2: And she said chance.
Speaker 3: She didn't say that, but you can assume that she was thinking that because the question was odd. And he apologized because you know, he's already any of the season and they have yet, but they're there. If there's a bubble, yeah, if there's a bubble, the bubble is not good.
Speaker 2: They're probably not even on the bubble.
Speaker 3: Right, that's a good way to put. The bubble is over there? Yeah, yeah, So which is And they had a decent season nineteen and whatever it was, nineteen and eight sodian and nine twenty wins would have looked better, they would have won the first game in the conference. We'll see what happens, because you know, I think it's a lot of unspoken stuff that we don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 5: They're pretty far down just in the Big twelve and looking at the list, I mean, they were nineteen and thirteen, didn't didn't finish the season strong. You know, there was just it was just an up and down year early on, you know, victories and then just kind of you know, trying to get through the Big twelve schedule was tough for them as well, and you know, the usual suspects, injuries, things like that just kind of came back to haunt them.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we'll see what happens beyond the next couple of weeks. I don't think I don't think there's a postseason non in C Double A. I know they did really well on that one few years ago. Yeah, the wn I T I don't know if that's still an option or whatever.
Speaker 5: Even it is something, there is something they want to do that though, I mean I don't know. Yeah, I mean, if they again, it could be one of those financial things like, hey, you know, the WI really want you because we know you're going to draw, right, you know, eight thousand fans for some game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens in the next week or so, because the tournament selections will be coming out here in the soon and they just didn't show it today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the league is pretty good. I mean TCU is you know twenty eight and three and twenty one. Yeah, Baylor's really good. So there's a couple of really good teams in the conference itself. But Arizona was kind of in the middle of the pack all season long, and it was an eight nine seeded type game today, so sadly they could not get it finished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll talk about that if you want to give us a call for that. We're gonna have a couple of good callers today. Our couple of guests, I should say, we wouldn't have Wolfgang Weber at three seventeen, of longtime soccer coach at South Point. They wont another state title. I'll ask them how many there have been, because there have been a.
Speaker 2: Number of them.
Speaker 3: I have to research that one the grandfather of soccer and Tucson yep. And then we're gonna have at four seventeen, we're gonna have Paul Wolpi, one of my great sponsors at Nova. He's part of the great group of conquistadors at for the Cult of Guard Classic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he'll be.
Speaker 5: On talking about that, driving down Rise to come here to the studio, and there's a bunch of easter coming east Yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't.
Speaker 5: You know, there were cars there and there's buses and stuff like that. But I guess tomorrow it begins officially, which sadly looks like it's going to be raining.
Speaker 2: It could be a problem tomorrow. But are you going there anytime?
Speaker 5: I might try to get out there on the weekend. I't have to talk to Paul about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going.
Speaker 3: I'm going said it with a friend and Sunday again later with another friend, so we should see what happens. Sunday should be fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean those tournaments have always been one of the highlights of the year, and it's nice. You know, it's kind of now tucked in the middle of town, so it's kind of easier to get.
Speaker 3: To, except people are afraid of the parking. Do you know where the standard parking?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I don't know. I mean I saw some signs.
Speaker 5: Again, if you're coming on sunrise, you can see the signs like park here for you know, a lot one or something like that, or a bus parking. There's probably a place. I'm gonna think I don't know for sure. Paul can tell us, but I'm sure there's gonna be shuttles coming together, maybe Long Cantata or someplace.
Speaker 3: Or down even like the Tucson Mall or something really coming up. Well, probably because you know, up heres kind of like scares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna be on Golf Channel.
Speaker 5: I was checking out some golf today, just with some of the PGA events. But they'll be on the Golf Channel pretty much all weekend, late in the day. It's kind of weird how they do that. But I may I think it might be even taped to like you. I'm pretty sure it is. I I have, but not not as much as I do younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like me.
Speaker 3: I was just wondering if you played it in the celebrity or the program or whatever they have.
Speaker 5: One time I was invited to play the LPGA pro am. So that was I don't know, twenty years ago. Maybe, Yeah, Chris Cheddar anybody remember that. No, she was from I want to say, like North Dakota, I mean like a non non golf state.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I had a great time. It was really fun.
Speaker 5: I didn't hurt anybody, you know, terrified in that first t shot fortune they.
Speaker 2: Weren't too many people. Yeah, but she was great.
Speaker 5: It was really you know, I think about it, it was really a lot of fun. She was she was a good sport and you know she understood the caliber players that she was playing alongside.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Cool, Okay, again, the number is five two oh four one six seventy four forty If you want to give us a quick call, we have some time now. We're gonna have Wolfgang at four seventeen, and then we'll be open at four to thirty five. And I think Coe's just grabbing his information for breaking news, right yep? Okay cool, and then we'll have, like I said, Paul Volpi, and then more time for calls. So you know, here we go another day closer to the Kansas game. Yep, we'll see what happens. Kansas is just not as desperate as well. I don't know who's more desperate, Kansas or you A Well, what does you have you have to play for?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: They don't I don't think. I don't think it's a three or four right, three four five? See oh seed?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sorry, as the Big twelve tournament. No, it doesn't matter anymore. No, And they've overcheved. I thought they've overcheved. Don't you think you have a yeah, because they're a pick fan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean yeah, I think it's because we just weren't sure how some of the new guys are going to fit in and how the whole season was going to play out with that, and.
Speaker 2: You know, the inconsistency.
Speaker 5: I guess it turned out overall it was okay based on how they wound up, you know, wrapping things.
Speaker 3: Up good to maya Cowa dot com, I know you do well. He had posted something today with the graph line saying that here are the teams that played over there over their expectations, under their expectations, and then at the areas where this team just absolutely just didn't play worth the crap uh in a in a grind graph on Twitter, and I wanted to see what you thought were He put Arizona it was above the underachievers. And let me tell you them it's true. It's it's true that the underchieved, and probably more more so in the first ten games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean that, obviously the first part of the season was not good. But they over the four and five, right, isn't.
Speaker 2: That four and five for five?
Speaker 3: They win? If they go let's say they go three, did go six and three. I guess six and three that would have been much better loose to you know, maybe U C. L A and and not to the teams that Oklahoma or West Virginia early.
Speaker 5: On either the Evan Maya is no, well, sen or my computer's not working, but I'll all the check out.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay. There's a lot of teams out there. You know that the Yukon underachieved. Oh yeah, for sure some and some of those. I's why I wanted you to call it up, just to see what I said.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: And check out where they're at to in his in his place, here we do. They're not in the top ten, no tell you that. No, they'd probably in the top twenty for sure. Their nets still high. Fifteen fifteen, that's about right. That's all right. So I did this, and I think I've talked about it on the show already. I was at the casino last week just missing around, and I bet my future I told you, I tell you this.
Speaker 2: What'd you bet on? Who do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Gosh, Florida. That's Florida end to one.
Speaker 3: Wow, good number, because guess what, after they won last night, they're going to be maybe the one or two seed overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean Duke, Well, no.
Speaker 3: Auburn about Doug Houston, Auburn still maybe Auburn well Aburt for Houston, Duke you said, and Florida they could be the number one overall seed. I'm not sure. I don't like that that there'll be number one if they are, because that's just too much of a burden. But they did look good last night, and they continue to look good off and on.
Speaker 5: And he's got Texas Tech really high too. Sixth, Tennessee seventh. I mean it's all two two, Duke one.
Speaker 3: If Houston could score, and I loved the Houston lat year, that's what a bit last year and the lost starting guard last year. If they could score, they'd.
Speaker 2: Be by number one. I like them a lot. I just didn't like the Rots too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know again, it's who they play, and if they can control the tempo type of situation. Seems like every time you get a Houston game, that's going to be in the sixties and.
Speaker 3: And you know this, most games in the tournament are those games, right, yeah right, I mean you're not going to have dude running out there and scoring one hundred and ten on them.
Speaker 2: No things like that.
Speaker 3: But no, you know, it's it's the mid majors, the mid majors that no one knows about and that these teams have. We'll beat them, and then they show up and they're down by fifteen in the first half, and then you have to play their style, yeah, because you can't. Can't otherwise you got you gotta play score.
Speaker 5: I mean, is Arizona gonna be able to put up you know, one hundred and thirteen and these types of games? Ever again, could you let us just don't guard us just half the time? Half of that would gardens might might be good enough in some of these tournament games.
Speaker 3: That was a that was a strange game, Dave. You're like, you didn't have to go late night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I hadn't sit there and watch that and go to bed at eleven thirty year Oh my.
Speaker 3: God, I wish I could have done that.
Speaker 2: I was home by one.
Speaker 3: Uh. It was just a poorty, porty, defensive game. Both fans just to just I got to bluster.
Speaker 5: I got to the point where I was like trying to figure out why were they always wide open? I was watching that high pick and roll. Do you watch the I can look at the replay here. I am like a ten thirty at night, going, what is happening here? What every time they do a pick at the top of the lod, somebody comes over, tries to become play defense, and nobody else picks up the guy.
Speaker 2: He was just supposed to be guarding. The guy's wide open.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 2: It was strange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, guess what now the next two to three weeks. Uh, anything like that could happen at any time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about that the other day.
Speaker 5: I mean we were kind of watching how the season is going to end sadly.
Speaker 3: What do we kind of dissect what? What are the options? Have a lead, lose it? Uh, you should can't hit the three point line. We should have a little dry, dry erase board here. Check check. Can't defend a three, can't hit a three. That's another thing. And uh, those two I think are at the top of the list. Can't hit I can't hit a three, can't hit it, and can't hit was the other one that I said, the first one. It was the first one. That's how bad my foul trouble? No, no, no, no, we'll defend it was just defense in general. Defense in general, and injuries. Injuries. They haven't really been like by that. Maybe Townsend a little, Yeah, but their bench is not it's not deep.
Speaker 5: No, I mean well, I mean the crevious injury kind of changed the whole season sadly for.
Speaker 3: The true true but you know, but the dynamics of it may have helped because because Henry is a different she's more of a curveball than he is a fastball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, he was great. The I thought he was the best player. I guess I think. I mean, I'm just looking at the numbers that he was. He was pretty pretty effective. And you're talking about issue game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Uh, and I guess you saw that Caleb kind of disappeared. Again he's Houdini, Houdini.
Speaker 5: But he disappears in this game. He wasn't what was his final two points?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I'm sorry, was twenty one, twenty one, five and one. Yeah, so there's nothing to really, Yeah, it wasn't disappear. He Yeah, he just comes and goes. But you know he was up this time. That's yeah.
Speaker 5: And then who knows, how is the did they do a ceremony? Yeah, they really showed much about it before.
Speaker 3: It was just the the players coming down and same thing, same thing. Yeah, it's funny because we had Michael lev on yesterday. He made a funny observation about Tommy because Liam was a fittury guy, and Tommy waxed more poetic about Caleb than he did about his son. You know, it was true. It was very funny. You know, his business as usual. Liam Caleb. Oh, I love the guy. Yeah, I love the guy.
Speaker 2: How funny? So it is what it is.
Speaker 5: Can he score twenty five a game for the next Caleb three weeks?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What's the odds on that? I don't know. I'm just saying that's probably what he was thinking. Oh yeah, yeah, can we can we just keep this guy hot? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, somehow got to keep him on a good side.
Speaker 2: Eight. Let's take a break here.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get a called in about four minutes from Wolf Game.
Speaker 8: Member, are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki Try?
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 9: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to Go Designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect with type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 2: It's time to restock.
Speaker 7: Your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with ut notice.
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty.
Speaker 3: Five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 13: Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 7: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 10: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Five Mining so important.
Speaker 14: It's a foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mining, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals app process.
Speaker 2: That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 9: GOBM dot com, The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sints, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 15: Steve, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to wying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're Dave, and you're Kobe. Now we have maybe Wolf Kane Weber Weber coach you there.
Speaker 16: Line, But all I got is the yeah.
Speaker 3: But you're you're on now, coach.
Speaker 6: Now you're on coach, so goodness sakes, Okay, I'm on my cell phone.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, that's fine. You sound perfect.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 16: I'm good? How are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're dying here.
Speaker 3: I'm here with Dave Silver, one of your guys from long ago when you were like really.
Speaker 4: Young young channel nine. I remember nine.
Speaker 3: Hey, how many of these state titles do you have? And where the hell do you put all the trophies?
Speaker 6: Well, the trophies are at at soel point. But this, uh, this one, this last one was a little bit of a special one from the standpoint because it was number twelve and there's no other soccer program in Arizona which has ever gotten to twelve. You know, we were tied with eleven with two a school, I believe, And so you know, this last one is a little bit special from the standpoint that it was the twelfth one, which puts us on top of everything. And then it also was the fifth one in the row, which is the very first time that that happened for any soccer program boys all girls in Arizona. So you know, this has a this last one has a special meaning from that standpoint.
Speaker 5: And what's it like for you to just continue to just kind of coach and mentor I mean, you're talking about generations now with players. How satisfying has this been for you, this run of your time at cell Point.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, when I started in nineteen eighty two, I thought, well, I'm going to do this for two or three years, and of course now I'm looking back and it's forty three years. But honestly, I think what keeps me going is, you know, every year, you know, I have a new group of players, outstanding kids, and this last group, you know, was probably one of the very best. Although you know, I you know, really enjoyed all of them. I have to say, winning or losing, And I think the reason I kept going is because I kind of adapted, and I'm trying to impart that to the kids. The most important thing is not, you know, wins and losses. Of course, you like to win more than you lose. And when you do the right things and you work hard, you know, you end up winning a lot of things. But it's just like in real life. You know, sometimes you have setbacks. Sometimes you lose a game you were supposed to win or you should have won. You know that type of thing. And then, you know, I've always you know, I tell this.
Speaker 16: To the parents every time.
Speaker 6: When we started season, I remind them, hey, you know we have one or twelve times, that mean thirty one times we didn't win the state championship.
Speaker 16: But the most.
Speaker 6: Important thing is is that the kids are on this path of continuous improvement, you know. And this is something I learned some time ago. It's it's a Japanese business philosophy which is called the Kaisan method, and it's the method of continuous improvement. So that allows you to even after a setback, to come back and say, what can we learned you know from the game? Reach is lost and how can we do this better? And it's it's you know, it's kind of that philosophy which allowed me to come back, you know, or was never honestly, guys, I was never disappointed, you know, even when we didn't.
Speaker 16: Win the state championships.
Speaker 6: And of course, you know, you prefer to win it, but you know, there are so many teams who were so good and one thing or the other held and then you just have to realize that the sun comes up the next day and you got to go back to work and try to improve, you know, the tomorrow be better than your were today, and that kind of attitude.
Speaker 3: So I've known Wolfgang for a heck of a long time with his amigos days. I'm sure Dave you will remember those days. He coached my kids for like twelve years, you know, lucky enough to have him as a coach. I'm going to ask you this because I think I know what the answer is. But what do you think You've had a lot of success. It doesn't happen by accident, obviously, And I know you from not South Point, but I know you from the club teams almost year round, the club teams. What do you think your secret sauces? What do you bring to the table that gets the kids to play hard for you or well for you, or however they play for you?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I mean, there's there's lots of joy to spread around. I mean, the most important thing is you have to have kids with some talent and a desire to really do well. And you know, looking back, I have to say that I have been really, really blessed. You know, they have that situation at some point that you know, and even in club that I've always had kids, you know who had a desire to do well. And you know that philosophy I just talked about that. The kids even bought into that. You know that they realize, you know that you don't give up because you lost the game, but it inspires you to do better, you know, the next time you go out. And and you know, I think that's kind of the secret sauce to it. And you know, I'm just you know, first I've got to give first credit to the kids who are the players, because if the players are not good, it doesn't make any difference how good you are as a coach. You can coach yourself blue in the faith and you might not win. But you know, more importantly, if you can get the kids to be better than I think as a coach, you have already succeeded.
Speaker 5: That being said, I was going to say that. Being said, what about youth soccer in southern Arizona. You know, what's your opinion on how it is now and how it's grown. Certainly in the forty years you've been around South Point, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, it has grown and leaps and bounds, you know. I mean, when I go back to the late seventies, when I started coaching in the youthe leagues that you know was typically a season of three months, you know, and then the kids will play three months of baseball and three months of football. This is how the parks were divvied up. And then, you know, in nineteen seventy eight, there was a group of people we got together and we said, look, if we ever want to have a chance or kids have a chance to go on to the next level, three months isn't going to get it done. We need a situation where we play nine or ten months of the year. And so we've founded this Tucson United Soccer Cup in the late seventies, I.
Speaker 16: Think it was nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 6: And as a result, then, you know, I mean the first response of the other clubs was, oh, you're warning everything, and this then the other. But really within two years, every other organization in Tucson was doing the same thing we were doing, playing for nine or ten months, and the result of that was pretty astonishing.
Speaker 16: In the eighties, you know, there were a.
Speaker 6: Number of clubs who won state championships. You know, Tucson United was one of them, but Menroe Pike, the Tucson Estecs, you know, just to name a few.
Speaker 4: On the girl's side.
Speaker 6: Fort rowe had a fantastic girls pogram at the time, and it was all based on the fact that we weren't just playing for three months, but had that extended season and go to tournaments out of town and starting to build some tournaments heyo, where out of town teams would come to Tucson to compete with us, you know, and that really had wonderfully contributed to.
Speaker 4: The goal of soccer now, you know.
Speaker 16: At the time, you know, I'll.
Speaker 6: Remember back in the early eighties at cell point, you know, I think all of the high schools had like two or three good players and the rest of them.
Speaker 16: Were, you know, more average.
Speaker 6: But the quality of players because of the club programs has grown tremendously.
Speaker 16: You know, I can.
Speaker 6: Honestly say that of the twenty six players I had on the loss this year, all of these kids could play, you know, And of course some of them have a chance to contribute more and others have to wait a little bit more, or you know, didn't get an opportunity to be in the game as much.
Speaker 16: But they all could play.
Speaker 6: And that's not something we could say fifteen or twenty years ago.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, one of my my Sun team and.
Speaker 3: Both game that year, four or five of them went on to play Division one Soccer's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you know, and that's you know, we took you know, as as.
Speaker 4: A as a club, you know, we it was Tucson.
Speaker 6: United, and then they came to Tucson Soccer Academy and now it's.
Speaker 4: FC Tucson Youth.
Speaker 16: You know. But the federal we.
Speaker 6: Put in our cap is that we've you know, have brought so many more kids and opportunity to move on to the next level. And the next level even starts already here on Tucson. If you look at the Pima College right Pogram, you know, two national championships and Dave Costkov has done a fantastic job at that level.
Speaker 16: And then again many.
Speaker 6: Kids take that route and play at Tema and then continue on after that to go to a four year school. So that was a big step in the right direction for us here locally as well.
Speaker 3: Let me say this real quick, I know we all know here to to us, you're the grandfather of soccer and Tucson. You go back to seventy eight, you had the the Amigos and you have C Tucson and then the Tucson United, and we know how you how we feel about you here. How do you think you're perceived in Phoenix or even in the state giving you one five straight and you got twelve under your belt, what do you think they say?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know that they really liked me all that much.
Speaker 6: We played Suavo of Scottsdale again, and this is the second time in three years that we beat them in the finals. And you know, so let me put it this way. You know, whenever I shake hands, I'm always being very complimentary of the other teams, and I have to say that, you know, sometimes I get some compliments back, but oftentimes we don't, you know, And so I honestly don't know to actually how to answer that question real quick before we let you go, your thoughts on the World Cup coming to the US next year?
Speaker 2: Are you going to be involved? You're going to go over or try to see some.
Speaker 6: Well, I will try to see some games, you know. Of course, I turned seventy eight next year, seventy nine, So god, I'm going to go and see some of the games.
Speaker 16: I had a.
Speaker 6: Pleasure of going to the Katar World Cup a couple of years ago. And you know, and Dave Ord, which you guys know, and my assistant coach Louis Luis Gonzalez. We went there to the World Cup and totally enjoyed it. And before that, you know, of course, I saw some of the World Cup in ninety two.
Speaker 16: It was here in the United States.
Speaker 6: And I remember going back, you know, I came to the United States in seventy three, but in seventy four I went back to Germany to take in some games at that World Cup as well, you know. So you know, I'm looking forward to it. I think it will be another big boost, you know, in the popularity of soccer, and and we've come a long way in the last thirty forty years, you know, in terms of being competitive, you know, even at the world stage, if you will.
Speaker 3: So maybe last question, King, are you say you're going to be nine soon? You've been doing this a long time. I guess this is what keeps you young. How long do you have more to do this?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 16: I know that I'm a lot closer to the end than the.
Speaker 6: Beginning, but you know, I God willing I will be around next season, you know, and I really can make any predictions beyond that, you know, I just got to go one year at the time. But I do you know, I have to tell you I have some limitations from the standpoint of demonstrating four or five years ago. I was still able to demonstrate to the kids, you.
Speaker 4: Know, what I wanted them to do, and all of that.
Speaker 6: Work have fallen to Louis Gonzabz now who is my associate head coach, and he is the one which allows me to still be around and be an effective coach. You know, I kind of bring some wisdom from the standpoint of all of these years, you know, and having been born on several second which has gone to day. It's kind of that situation where you look back, you know, what could I have done better? You know, what did I do well? And I've been piling up for forty three years, you know that kind of stuff. And I still can talk to the kids about those things, but you know, the day to day grind of training, you know. Louise handles for me very.
Speaker 3: Nice, great, very nice. Wolf Gang is always thank you very much. Congratulations for number five, number twelve total all but that five and five in a row man, that's tough.
Speaker 2: That's very tough.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was that was kind of special I really have to say that. And thank you so much guys for paying attention to soccer and and and for having me on your show.
Speaker 3: Sure, thank you. With Gang tick here be.
Speaker 16: Well YouTube bye bye.
Speaker 3: I think with Gang wever from South Point, we're going to take a break. We'll have a lot of time for calls. It's my understanding that we're having trouble with calls coming in. There might be busy. Let me see I can handle that. If you guys want to call in and you have my my text and or my email. You have my emails that's always on that ad or my Facebook messenger, send me that we'll call you.
Speaker 2: We'll call you. Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach, Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hey Wilcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for lesson two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called ara zon A help Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four ah three five five one four.
Speaker 7: Four four what's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmond Markets All State Agency.
Speaker 2: You're all using good hands.
Speaker 3: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or colum At five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty.
Speaker 11: Second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 18: At Peyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids, Less It's More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sun Spectrum. I met a federal card at Union where less is more betterally insured at my NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 15: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, your Dave Silver got Kobe handling the calls. And by the way, you can call us now five two o four one six seventy four forty. This is a quick fix. So so my guy here will get your phone call. If you tried to call you yesterday, give us a call. Let us know what you were thinking talking about Saturday's game, today's game. Yeah, all the games going to WBC today. You've been to Brazil, Germany two or three. Yeah, because Columbia is in.
Speaker 5: Right, Columbia advance, China is out, and these the two left over all.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're playing.
Speaker 5: How did you enjoy your time? It was fun. It was really fun. I got to do PA for a couple of the games. It was true just to kind of do that since I hadn't done it as far as anything you know of that magnitude. But it was really cool to be in that stadium again. The stadium looks great. It would be so wonderful, of course if we could have a regular team or even spring training or some games. I mean, the stadium looked fantastic. They did a great job with the with the field, the sod and everything. They redid the entire field. If I'm not mistaken that.
Speaker 2: You know, it was good.
Speaker 5: You just kind of reminisce and think about all the games I saw there and games we've seen in Tucson really forever up until like the last ten years or so where it just stopped. So yeah, it was kind of kind of a sentimental moment just to be up there and experience it that way.
Speaker 3: Did you get to meet anybody, like there's some people here they were Ramirez.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ramirez, I didn't just from where I was. I mean, I was, you know, up in the press box. I didn't have that much of a chance. But yeah, I've seen some of the stories that like Javier has done and then the stars done, so yeah, I mean there's been good stories. The See family, you know, was in town and many Ramirez was here to watch his son, and there are a few others.
Speaker 3: So Pedro Gomez, the son was there too, Page That's right.
Speaker 2: He played for the U of A. Patro was such a good guy too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me ask you, quing, do you still a fanboy or no? Or did you what did you stop being a fan boy?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? Oh, I you know, I think I've always kind of been that way. Yeah, I think so, I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just there's always been something I'm I don't know about you, but lots of the reasons why I enjoyed journalism so much was the stories and these people that you know, provide these stories.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's kind of why I still only enjoy that part of it.
Speaker 5: Wow, you know, Many Ramirez comes in, well, you know, maybe his career was kind of tainted at the end. But you know, he had some great moments and everybody loved watching him for so many years. And you know, I mean, the whole Agacy story is pretty amazing. I think just the fact that you know, these two great tennis players produced a baseball player who was good enough to play at this level.
Speaker 2: It's just fun to see that. Those are just good stories, right right, No, No, And that's why we do what we do.
Speaker 3: We're storytellers, really, uh And we happened to do games and get into controversies because we don't create them.
Speaker 2: The people who cover do.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the best thing about sports is you just don't know what's going to happen. Yeah, you know, you go in every day and you think, oh, you know whatever, it's going to be a slow day. And then you know, somebody throws a no hitter, or somebody does something crazy, hits a great shot, or a football game, you know, ends of the last.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just the great thing about sports. It's unpredictable.
Speaker 3: So I'll give you a quick story about about something I don't know, hitter. At the Citizen, you know, we had all this eclectic people, you know, photographers, news people, sports people, sports people knew about the sports. We had a photographer there. She was fairly new, I guess, and she was covering the sidewink not sorry totals back in the day. And you know it's getting late, nine o'clock, ten o'clock, you know, a triple a game which gonna last forever, And she said, you got anything. They called her up, you've got anything? Action, wized anything, because it says, no, this guy's not this picture's not letting these guys hit. There's no action. So what's going on? Well, there has no hitter, I get. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy's not the ball. I got nothing.
Speaker 5: That's funny thinking about it now and how things were, say twenty years ago. If we were at the game, say, and sometimes we would go just because of the time. You know, we couldn't sit there for three hours with a camera. Yeah, so we would leave, you know, in the fourth inning saying we got six runs and we're good for our highlights. And then we'd come back to the station and we get a phone call it's a no hitter. You might want to come back. And we did a couple of times during my time, we had to send the guy back just to go get the last couple outs and you know, I don't even remember if it if it worked out that way, but that's kind of how it went for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, do you I'm sure you know this because some stations are going to delayed news programs, like they're taping him and then they're showing him later.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm not giving a secret.
Speaker 4: Sun.
Speaker 5: I don't want to speak because I really don't know, but I've heard stories about that too. I don't you know, we probably should talk to management there and to find out what's really happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's it's the way the world. Well, we know, we talked to those newspapers. Their deadlines were like five o'clock, so you don't get the news the next day, and you kin'd have already know the news anyway with the internet and you know, you can watch it live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean definitely.
Speaker 5: I don't think the news paper business would be able to adapt to that much easier than TV since they're still kind of on a you know, five, six and ten schedule at least on the air. What they show on their websites, I don't know how they, you know, pick and choose what stories or how it's even done honestly on TV or at this point yeah TV. I mean as I was wrapping things up, they were asking us to put our stories on the web before they even hit the air.
Speaker 2: So people consume news so much differently now.
Speaker 3: Sure, and remember the days when they used to have the service. You know, Jim Bob used to the tape the show and then sell you the story so you can have it on a disc or on a VHS.
Speaker 2: Now you just use the link. That's true, that's true.
Speaker 5: There used to be a company that provided they call what they called the well their air checks is kind of what they're technically called.
Speaker 2: You know, we got to call real quick. We'll get Hello, you're on the air, nine on the ball. Who's this this? Brian?
Speaker 3: Brian?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 4: Well much?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, you guys are talking about the news shows and stuff, and uh, it's hard to watch local news, especially sports. You don't get you don't you know, you don't get anything, not much. You know, every once in a while they thowt they're throwing a feature story. But you know, I remember back when Dave Silvera was doing sports. You know, you'd watch the sports and you got all the high schools, uh scores and basketball that night, baseball, all the sports.
Speaker 16: But now.
Speaker 4: You basically because the newspapers don't cover up, right, you know, unless you go online, you're not going to find out anything about local sports.
Speaker 3: Right, But what do you dave? It's more management deciding that, right, you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's it's it's been a long time coming. I think there was even when I was doing it. You know, we did a lot of research and things like that, and they'd come back to us and tell you, hey, you know, nobody really cares about X that you don't need to go cover them. The audience doesn't care. The high schools, yeah, do a little bit, but really the only people that care of their families and stuff like that. The whole world viewer. You know, when they see, you know, Callean Foothills is playing soorro in you know, women's basketballer girls, but they're gonna just say, do I want to spend thirty seconds to watch this? It was hard doing that job. You thought, well, I felt like I kind of had a say in what we're airing. But after a while, you know, the consultants came in and it kind of changed our approach.
Speaker 2: Sometimes so you still watch it.
Speaker 4: At all or no, no, no, I mean there's not really okay. I mean the u of a sports I can listen to on.
Speaker 17: The radio whatever, so it doesn't really matter what they.
Speaker 16: Say, you know.
Speaker 4: But otherwise I don't like to watch local news that much anyway. I mean, I'll watch local news and they'll have a story on thing can happened four days prior I'm going They repeated it five times, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: No, you said that, here's my issue, here's my issue, And I think it's just kind of funny. And maybe it's just me because I know that your surveys that you talk about is this. So we're living Tucson. It's June, it's one hundred and ten, there's one hundred and ten. All you have to go is outside and look, it's one hundred and ten. And then we have weather people for five ten minutes till it's just one hundred and ten and guess what tomorrow's gonna be one hundred and eleven.
Speaker 17: What the hell?
Speaker 3: It's just hot and Tucson. What's the news?
Speaker 2: When can we expect that cool down? I don't know. October. So they used to joke.
Speaker 4: No November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really no, but.
Speaker 3: My points they give him. Do you get like two and a half minutes, Yeah, two and a half minutes, come on and the weather is getting five.
Speaker 2: It's hot. Welcome back to you, Dave Well.
Speaker 5: I mean again, the consultants and things like that, they've I knew that going into the business, the weather was going to get much more attention than anything else on every newscast. I mean people I could say sometimes maybe in the morning when you wake up and you're trying to figure out your day, what am I gonna wear? Things like that you want it's going to be like It's true, it's not going to change much, but Brian.
Speaker 2: Anything else, you know.
Speaker 4: And also I think too about the game this weekend. Yeah, uh, it's a fifty to fifty chance winner lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. The toss up, Yeah, no, I know, I think it's gonna be. Do we already have an early line three?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 4: I thought it was four by Kansas for Kansas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, three or four or something like that. You know, if if we.
Speaker 4: We're how to play some defense all of a sudden, I don't know how they forgot. I don't know they played well all those all those games, and now they can't play defense.
Speaker 2: That's very bizarre. I'm with you there.
Speaker 3: Because they were doing so well, people were saying, great, first time in forever they're playing that type of defense, and then then it's gone.
Speaker 4: I mean that game the other night, I mean it was it was fun to watch because it was up and down scoring. Besides the ten thousand fouls that were called on both team you know, yeah, I mean that was that was pretty That was pretty bad. But still it was fun to watch a game.
Speaker 16: It's basically an NBA score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, thanks Brian, Okay, all right, thanks Home Sea.
Speaker 2: We got about five minutes.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Well we can talk about local sport now. No, that's going to be the age old thing. Locally whatever. You got the news, and you got the weather, and you get the sports. For a second or two. Oh, I was going to tell you off you remind me say I have something to tell you. Okay again, going to call five two four one forty uh WBC Tonight golf tomorrow starts tomorrow at Paoma Arizona Basketball in Kansas. I don't know if they're staying out there.
Speaker 2: I think they're coming back, I think. Don't you think they're coming back? I would too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an early afternoon game, right, they come here, get home by Saturday night, and then get out there by Tuesday. You have able to play Thursday, Thursday, Yeah, Friday, Thursday. Okay, Yeah, so the guarantee that we'll see what happened after that. They're gonna play the rest of the ways. Is NCAA tournament teams yep, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah for sure. Quality, I mean the top well maybe first.
Speaker 3: Depends, well who do they play. We'll have to see out it's bracket. But they're gonna be capable to get to that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 16: I mean.
Speaker 5: I watched basically three quarters of today's women's game. There there were a few people didn't seem like that much of a crowd.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're not going to.
Speaker 3: Already already exactly. No, I saw that in Facebook yesterday. They should like this smattering of people today, probably a smattering of people who's gonna.
Speaker 2: Go watch an eight seed nine seed game.
Speaker 5: I mean it's gonna be family, it's yeah, or any maybe some people who live in Kansas.
Speaker 3: Even the PAC twelve game game PAC twelve. They didn't go to watch that game. They went to the semi finals in the final. Yeah, so you know Vegas has missed, no question, and will be missed. But this is not the Pac twelve conference. I mean where you had Big twelve going to the Pac twelve, you had these guys. Were the guys invited coming there? Don't tell me how to arrange my furniture exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know the court was in it, did you see any I didn't look like a like a honeycomb or something. I'm not sure exactly what the what the layout is there, but yeah, it'll be you know, busy. It's a busy a couple of weeks for sure. It's it gets it really picks up, you know this week with the women's tournaments and you know some of the marquee players, you know, the Juju Watkins and the Yukon players. I mean there's there's there'll be some attention. It's kind of weird how that tournament kind of ends. I mean, all the postseason for the women's ends here and then there's nothing for like almost a week or so.
Speaker 3: No, it should be fun and college women's college basketball has gotten so good that it's made a lot of people interested. Yeah, you know, I don't know if it's probably because of the Caitlin Clark situation, but there was.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 3: It's been good besketball for a while.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely improved. And it didn't hurt you know her.
Speaker 5: And you know the l s U team and things like that, Ashley Angel Reese know that rivalry move. You know, heated up over the last couple of years and they got great TV ratings. They got better ratings in the men's games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of attention in you know, South Carolina had a good run and I'm sure they'll be back.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: I mean there's a lot of there's a lot of parody at the top. Yeah, maybe top ten and women's basketball nowadays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, no calls. Would not takeing any more calls because we take forever. Good to talk to Wolfgang Weber. He was good seventy nine years old. That's amazing. It's still going, still going strong. It's just about me.
Speaker 5: Every I would think just about everybody who's played soccer Insan has faced off against him.
Speaker 3: And played on their side, played on their teams played.
Speaker 5: You know, against their clubs. You know, you look him, you google him and you'll see. You know, he was a good player in Germany back in the day, like in the late seven early seventies and stuff. He was on a World Cup team. So you know, do we ever really understand why he came to Tucson?
Speaker 2: Did you ever learn that story?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I wanted to say a story that when he Scott here he didn't know much English, Right, I can't really, I guess I could say I wanted him to say about it. He can have messed up where he came to the United States in tucsona and watch games and befriended this guy and you take him to the games and and all he would say was like bad words because that's all he heard of the games. That was his beginning of his English. That is that this because because that's what he heard until he realized you can't be.
Speaker 2: Saying that, Yeah, you can't be saying that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I mean, you know again, Harry Is, he's set up shop here in Tucson for almost fifty years.
Speaker 3: And a heck of a loved guy from h in the soccer world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they love him, you know, internationally, and like he said, he's going to try to get involved with the World Cup next year, which comes you know, all over the country.
Speaker 3: Story earlier yesterday or later the last night that the United Statestates would get their stuff straight or they're gonna be in trouble when they gay here. They're not ready right now.
Speaker 2: Really. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know where they're playing the venues are, but they got to get their stuff straight because it's catching up here and they're coming. Gotta be ready. Do you know where the sites are?
Speaker 2: Sorry? I had it up there for a minute. Now I've lost it.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine. He talked about ninety two. I thought eighty six. I was in Dallas in eighty seven or eighty seven, and I thought they were playing it in eighty seven as well.
Speaker 2: You have no they're sorry. Oh I saw that. You did have that. Yeah, Dallas, Seattle, some of the usual places. Yeah, that's where I was. I was in Dallas.
Speaker 3: No, this is bad radio, bad radio. Okay, that's cool. That's cool. Ready to go, Okay, he's giving the no Vancouver, Seattle, Bay area, LA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: The state are they playing in the Football States?
Speaker 2: Kansas city hues. Then when when is it?
Speaker 3: When is one of the dates like when summer summer? Yeah, okay, okay, summer, so the not during football season. They're at the football stadiums. June eleventh, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It ends.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, gosh, Phoenix is Phoenix openion.
Speaker 2: No it's not. Okay, it ends on.
Speaker 3: By the June twenty okay, by the time this radio shows that exactly.
Speaker 2: Now there's a lot of games.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you covering