Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with.
Speaker 2: Cliff and Bobo.
Speaker 1: These guys are you favorites, so like to say subscribe and rade it.
Speaker 2: Five Stock and Greatest gone yesterday and listening, oh watching lim always keep its watching.
Speaker 3: And now you're hosts Cliff Barrickman and James Bubo fay.
Speaker 2: Well, Bubbo. We have a great episode today. We have someone on the episode who is a longtime friend of both of ours. We've been on our expeditions with this gentleman. This gentleman has filmed a Sasquatch, he's been on a Finding Bigfoot episode, and he's one of our stops. Whenever we're back east and hanging out, if we can call this guy and have lunch or breakfast with him, we do it every single time. Love this man, you know him, and for everybody in the audience who does not know him, Welcome to Bigfoot and Beyond. Mike Green, Hi, Mike, how you doing today? Man?
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, it's great to talk to you again. I'll tell you this is really great. It's a wonderful idea.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you can come on. We've been meaning to have you on for a long time, but gosh, the way Bobo and I are kind of scatterbrained in general. It's just taking us this long to get you, so thank you very much for setting aside a little bit of time for.
Speaker 1: Us anytime, anytime. I've been storing up horrible stories for ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's been about ten years since we did that. Mike was our main witness on the first episode back in this twenty eleven, ten years ago.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: Just to give me a little background on Mike, I think he was the chief investigator for the New Jersey Fraud Department of the District Attorney's office or the Attorney General's office. Yeah, and there's an army officer. So he's not like me or something or cliffs and jazz musician. He's a productive member of society, like one of the suits.
Speaker 2: I guess you call him the suits. You're in a suit, Mike.
Speaker 1: You know it's it's funny. If you looked at my resume, i'd have to admit, yeah, I was a suit. But once I got home and took off my tie, I've sort of a jack I'm really kind of a jackal and hide personality. Uh and uh, yeah. It was suity, but it was interesting stuff. But my my free time was spent doing Uh I didn't go in for bowling and the PTA.
Speaker 3: No, I know, I was just busting busting balls on a little bit. But yeah, I mean you were like, I mean, you know, respected professional and all that.
Speaker 4: Smart guy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, one interesting thing that I did that that is sort of germane to what we we all of us do, is I was studied to become a what's called a question documents examiner, which is basically you're a forgery expert to testify in court as an expert witness. So you're you're taught to well, in this case, examine documents to see if they've been altered or they're true, or you know, somebody's writing somebody else's name, that kind of stuff. It teachers you to look really closely at what you're seeing in front of you and pick it apart in your mind and with your hands and sometimes with machines to see, you know, if it's real or not.
Speaker 2: Which is directly applicable to like fake photographs and all this other stuff. I mean you'd probably use that all the.
Speaker 1: Time, right, yeah, exactly, fake photographs, you know, casts and certainly all these these videos that are on YouTube, But you don't have to be a forgery expert to look at most of those that much.
Speaker 2: Just that must just turn your stomach to turn on YouTube and see all the garbage is out there.
Speaker 4: Oh it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sort of amazed that people keep doing it, there's so much of it.
Speaker 3: Well they're rewarded, I mean the fake stuff and like the stupid stuff on there's it gets one hundred times the clicks of something that's like serious and like you know scarly about the subject.
Speaker 2: You've also had training with dealing with people, I mean, because your all your investigations over the years, not bigfoot investigations, like other stuff like I have it in my head, like welfare investigations and some criminal stuff. You dealt with the whole swath of society, So you must have a whole just a laundry list of things to look out for if somebody's lying to you.
Speaker 1: I was a narcotics probation officer, I was an investigator for the Public Defender's Office. Uh and and and then this chief of welfare frauds. So yeah, I'm used to dealing with dishonest people.
Speaker 2: Boy, did you choose the right field to goof around in on free time. Man, Bigfoot is full of those people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh it certainly is. It certainly is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us how you really feel, Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would, but we're on the radio.
Speaker 2: I don't think a lot of people know you, just because like you're not out in front and center. You know, you don't have a group, but you do such good work behind the scenes. Can you tell our audience a little bit about the background of what got you into the bigfoot subject. We know a little bit about your professional background, but for bigfoot purposes, what brought you to us?
Speaker 1: What brought you to us was years and years ago. I've always been a camper and a hunter, and camping's fun, but it's a lot more fun if you've sort of got something to do while you're camping other than sit at the fire and you know, poke around and your sleeping bag and get high. So I've always been interested in stuff like Bigfoot and UFOs and kind of weird stuff. So I read it up on it I thought, you know, there's got to be so something to this. There's just too much i'll call it evidence lying around for this to be nonsense. So I started going on. I'd get two weeks vacation of years. So I started going out to the west coast Vancouver Island, California, up on the Sierras by myself squatching. And after a few years of this, I found out that up and you guys know about this Whitehall, New York, right up at the bottom of Lake Champlain, there was a whole lot of big foot activity. And that was five hours drive from my house as opposed to flying across country, so I could go up and do this on the weekends. So I started going up there, and there was a nature conservancy that owned a big chunk of land that was right on the bottom of lake, very bottom of Lake Champlain, which is like a little skinny, muddy river. And I would sneak in there with my canoe, hide the canoe in the bushes, and then go in there and camp with a thermal. And I did that for seven years, and once in a while I would, you know, I'd see like scrapes or a busted tree, give me a little hope, but nothing really great. However, one night, just as I was putting the canoe in the woods and it was it had gotten dark, some two guys in a motorboat pulled up and they couldn't see me because it was dark. Stopped and they were talking to each They turned the motor off and they're talking to each other, and one guy said to the other, this is where he said he saw it. And the other guy said, yeah, boy, and then they drove off. That was it. But obviously something had happened. And this was a great spot for squatches to live. I mean it was very isolated and hard to get to. Blah blah blah blah blah blah. Anyway, so that perked me up. And then just towards the end of all this, one night you've all heard whoops. One night I would I would get up at three o'clock in the morning, get out of my tent and look around with the thermal, and then go back to sleep and waiting for something to happen. Anyway, I was just at three o'clock. I was just putting my boots on to get outside, and all of a sudden, I heard whoop wooo woo so loud. It sounded like somebody was screaming in my ear. I mean, it was just deafening. I've never I still haven't ever heard anything that loud, but I said, thank god, you know, finally the squad just put a stamp on this thing and giving it some reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not wasting your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, seven years is a long time. I don't know how many times I've been up there and then and you guys have all seen the squeaky thermal that I took down here in the u Are National Forest. Pure luck. I'd never been down here in my life. My wife's son moved down to Charlotte and we came down to visit him, and the BFRO was having one of their stupid expeditions in the Ure National Forest, and so I said, okay, drove down, dropped my wife off in Charlotte, and drove out to the UII to the campground. And I got there the day before everybody else did, so there was nobody there and set up. I got there like at nine o'clock at night. I've been driving literally all day from New Jersey and I'm really tired. Put up my little dome tent. Now this is important. The campground has these tables that are built over. They're like two by twelve's and cement, if you know what they're like. They're very quite sturdy like dining tables, if you will, with bench seats built on the either side. I had one of these two burner Coleman stoves. Put the stove on the table, opened it up, and for some reason or other, I had a big stainless steel pot like it makes spaghetti, and I put the pot on the grill and then I put I had a big, big like serving steel serving spoon, put that spoon in the pot, and then I said, you know, I don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm really beat. I'm just going to go to sleep. So I left that, got in my tent. I had my little raytheon two fifty thermal, and went to sleep. Three o'clock in the morning, which you all know is the witching hour. Three o'clock in the morning I heard, and to this day, I don't know what this was. I heard a PLoP noise and it sounded like somebody dropping a water balloon on the floor or a great big ripe tomato. There was this PLoP noise down in the woods, and I just said, geeze, what the heck is that. I didn't, you know, sit bolt upright, but I just sort of laying there wondering what that was. And this was in April, so the leaves hadn't come out yet, but there was a lot of drive leaves on the ground, and as I'm thinking, what's that PLoP, I heard a little scraping of leaves, just like I'm mouse running a little bit. And how he got up this close to me, I have no idea, but that's all I heard. The next thing I know is and I was in one of those little dome tents right literally over the top of the tent, there were two big what I call Darth Vader roars right over my head, followed by sort of a backhanded swipe whack at the tent, which I've heard other people talk about this basically the same thing happening, sort of a whack at the tent, not to hurt it, but sort of, hey, anybody home kind of thing. And this all happened much quicker than it takes to tell about it. So I whacked the side of the tent back just so yeah, there's somebody here, occupied, occupied, and I heard it start to run away boom boom, And then I heard a tinkling noise, a metallic tinkling noise that sounded. All I could think of was it's a dog's chain link dog collar. It certainly didn't sound like a dog, but they made this metallic noise. Anyway, I got out, went out, looked around with my thermal nothing in the morning look and it was the place is not conducive to fingerprints, a footprints. Anyway, I looked over it and I still had this which was this metallic noise, and about it was maybe twenty feet away. It's the table with the Coleman stove and the paw and the spoon. And I went over and I gave the table a shot with my hip and it made the tinkling noise. He had in running away from my tent. He had run into the table and jarred it and made that tinkling noise. The son of a bitch, all right, anyway, So anyway, so I knew it wasn't a dog.
Speaker 2: And that'll happen the night before the actual expedition even started, right.
Speaker 1: That's right. I'm all by myself. Next day, everybody shows up, I'm telling them all about this. And then three o'clock in the morning, once again, there's about five or six of us sitting at that picnic table sort of talking in low voices, waiting for something to happen, and you know, you're just to serve talking low at each other. And every ten minutes or so, i'd get up and i'd take my thermal and I just stand around. And you know, with a thermal, you don't have to look very hard. The white things really jump out at you. And so I just sort of standing around real quick, and I sit down talking on top of the thermal. I had a little baby digital video digital video recorder a DBR that had and this is the stupidest thing I ever did in my life. It had a two hundred and fifty six megabyte not gig megabyte SD card in it, about as small as you could possibly get, and I was saving quote, saving that for when i'd really needed. Well. Anyway, the last time I stood up, I looked around there. It was about I don't know, ninety feet away walking sideways to me, right to left, and sort of just like in the movies, you get this big white silhouette, hunky you know, no neck, big arms, hunky shoulders, striding along to dump do dump dump dump, and I'm watching it through the thermal, and I stupidly said, in sort of a stage whisper, there's one now, And of course everybody stopped talking, and I realized I didn't have the video the DVR running.
Speaker 2: The yeah, because this particular thermal imager doesn't record internally. This is the old days, pretty much a thermal imagery exactly.
Speaker 1: So I put it down, and it took me about five or ten seconds to get the DVR up and running, and I put it back up, and of course he was gone. But I knew what I saw, and I knew what happened the night before. Son of a bitch. This is the place for me, I mean, and it still is. It still is. To make a long story short, my wife said, you know, really, what are we doing up here? I'd like to be closer to my son. I said, well, let's move. Let's move to North Carolina. So yeah, two months later, I'm living in North Carolina, thirty miles away from the best footing spot I've ever seen in you know, now like ten years of this, And so I started going there regularly, week after week after week, and after a few years, I got that squeaky thermal that everybody has seen.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so back to the squeaky footage, Mike, that was taken to the same spot where you saw them inditionally on the expedition.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, well, in exactly the same spot, and that campground it's not particularly pretty and during the week there's nobody there, so I'd always get I'm now, I'm unemployed, I got all the time I want retired, so I could go. I'd go down during the week and i'd have the place to myself, and i'd go to that same campsite and the stump where I had put the zagnut bar that I would use for bait. And actually I usually used the jar of peanut butter, but I've forgotten the peanut butter, and I've had a zagnut bar for myself. But so I felt, well, I'll take one for the team, and I put the zagnut bar on the stump.
Speaker 3: Had the peanut butter, had the peanut butter disappeared during that time?
Speaker 1: Actually, you know, you know, the regular size can of jar of peanut butter, they usually have like a red top that's like three or four inches across, red plastic top. And it's a glass jar or glass or plastic I don't remember. But anyway, you need you need a thumb and fingers to open that thing, and and and and a raccoon's hands aren't big enough to do it. It's you got a per You need something with hands as big as a person to open a regular sized jar of peanut butter. So I took a jar peanut butter, opened it up, took up, scoop out, smeared it on the lid, and then put it on the stump. In the next morning, the red lid was lying there by itself, the jar was gone, and there was no peanut butter in sight. Anyway, what I'd usually do is set up the jar. It's time. I was using the raytheon with a better DVR on top of it. Set that up, pointed at the stump, turn it on about eleven o'clock at night, and go to sleep. And I did that over and over and over and over. And then this last time, as I was setting it up, I heard down in the woods. I heard a rustling like something walking around, and I thought, I'll bet you he's since nothing had happened all these other times, I'll bet you he's watching me right now. So I put the thermal on the tripod, pointed at the stump, and as you guys probably know, the Raytheon's unlike the newer, newer thermals, don't have auto focus. You had to manually focus it. And I was in a rush I did. That's why you see the jelly donut instead of more of a squatchy thing. Anyway, I put turned it, turned it on the thermal. Then I got in my car and drove off, drove away from the campsite so that there was nobody else there. So obviously I had left the bait by itself and it didn't have anything to fear, so to speak. And I waited about two or three hours until I knew that the battery on the on the thermal had run down. And then I went back and the can the bar was gone. The battery had run down, and I had to wait until the next day till I got home to recharge the battery and see what I'd gotten. I'm sorry, the battery on the Raytheon and the DVR rundown, so I had to go home and plug in the DVR, and that's when I saw what I'd gotten and I couldn't believe. I really couldn't believe it just fine, after all this time to finally get something like that, I was just beside myself. It was. It was really neat and well, you guys know you've seen these things. It gets to you. It gets you. You want it's addiction, You want more and more and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the curse. You know that is often associated with seeing sasquatches. You know, it's the curse like either you're not going to let it go or it gives you PTSD, like something happens to you. You know that even being involved in the subject for too long, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't let it go. I mean I'm sort of happily hooked because it's it's an extremely interesting, albeit expensive hobby. Uh, it's fascinating. I just wish I could get more of it, you know. The only way to do it is to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's worse things to be addicted to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I love seeing it. Like you said before, I mean the whole behavioral aspects. It's not like the clearest video thermal, but it's awesome and how much like behavior it shows like the thought process is going to scratch how cautious they are and how they sway in the trees and crawl up.
Speaker 1: I know, I know it sort of when you you're absolutely right, Bobo, when you when you know what happened and you don't have to have somebody sort of walk through the video with the with them sneaking up and getting the candy bar. It really is the way that how cautious it was. Uh, even though he saw me drive away, he still acted like, you know, he had to sneak up there.
Speaker 2: And I think you driving away actually probably played a big role in it feeling safe enough to come up, because it was one of the major flaws I think with bigfooters in general, we all want to be every one of us, I think wants to be Roger Patterson, the guy holding her, the gal holding the camera. I saw it, I filmed it. But you took yourself out of the equation. You removed your own ego from the situation, and the sasquatch responded in a way, you know, like it finally finally felt safe enough to come up, and even then, knowing you weren't there, it snuck up on all fours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did it did? It's it's uh well, I mean that's why they were what they are and they're so successful because they're so careful most of the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I'm paranoid, but I've got nothing like candle to candle these guys.
Speaker 1: You know, speaking, and I wanted to. I want to throw something in here, which is kind of neat and I may be preaching you the choir, But do you guys know about the flur and Seek little baby thermals that plug into your cell phone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure you do, Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, I took one of those. I took the SEK one draws its power from the phone. The flur one, you have to charge it up. So the seque what I did is I bought an extension cord, if you will, so that I plugged it one end into the by phone and the other into the thermal, which is about the size of a domino. And it's on a little actually it's a little old tent pole that goes through a little hole in the roof of my van and it becomes a periscope and it's this little teeny, little black thing sitting up there. And all I got to do is twirl that little tent pole around and I get a three hundred and sixty degree thermal view of everything around me and the the as you know that the app for that that's on your phone you can record with and you can do all the color palette stuff and all that. But for two hundred and fifty bucks, I think that is really a terrific gadget.
Speaker 2: Now, how is the resolution, because that's one of the major factors.
Speaker 1: Bad at all? Not bad, It's not no, no, no, it's not bad at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I'd say more than adequate. A lot depends, you know, sometimes when it's been hot all day and then it's hot at night and the trees still stay hot and blah blah blah, things get a little bit kind of mushy, But not much this I'd say this stands up very well to others despite only costing two hundred and fifty bucks, and the beauty of it having to have this little tiny periscope and you can put it and do it in the tent just as well when you have it on your phone. The problem is you can you can hold the phone in your hand and look, but you've got the face of the phone all lit up with the picture that the thermal is taking illuminating your face, so you're you're not being particularly you know, unobtrusive. But this separates the camera from the phone very neatly. I it cost me like two point fifty or something and on Amazon to get this extension court and it works great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be the way to do it, because you don't want to light up your whole face looking at a phone because I mean, I don't know, I think sasquatches are very light sensitive. I'm assuming you guys do too, And the last thing you want to do just blast yourself with a spotlight while you're you know, trying to get it not to run away, right.
Speaker 1: I have used this a couple of times in a tent because sometimes I go tent camping down there and I don't use the van, and it works just as well in the tent. It's wonderful. You can stick it in your pocket. You know, weighs nothing. There are really a terrific gadget.
Speaker 2: Where were these things ten years ago, right when we're hauling around two fifty d's in the.
Speaker 1: Woods, I know, I know, well, I found I found now that the the some of the thermal imagers that I've got. They what did they call it? I want to say view vu E. It's made by Flur and now the vu E. It's just a little standalone thermal. You put some power into it and there's a video out. It's about the size of my fist, maybe a little smaller. Now they're very expensive, but the original version, which is the one that I got on eBay, I think, costs me about six hundred bucks. And it's great. It's weird.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the path finders they used to have.
Speaker 1: Well, actually I still have a pathfinder too. I have the pathfinder, the raytheon and the view and I stick all three of them up on top of the van at night and let them run into the DVR with no luck.
Speaker 2: I have to say, but are you still baiting them with a peanut butter or zag nuts or whatever.
Speaker 1: Peanut butter is sort of my favorite. I do have recordings of babies crying, babies cooing, and children like little kids playing in the playground, and fawn bleeds, and I have fairly long recordings of all of those. And I have a little PA system in the van that goes through the hatch and the roof, I can really make it sort of obnoxiously loud, which I think sort of defeats the because if you're going to have a baby crying, you know that the whole stadium can hear it. It doesn't sound too real, So I try and keep it down and hope that well, it's going to be whatever it is is going to be close enough to hear a reasonable volume of whatever it is that I'm playing. But between the sounds and the peanut butter, uh, yeah, that's about it, honey. Sometimes but I think Bobo, weren't you guys big on like donuts?
Speaker 4: I was big on donuts. I don't know if the big Foot was.
Speaker 2: And Bobo got big on donuts.
Speaker 4: I put out all kinds of stuff. The ones.
Speaker 3: I think I made such an antagonistic relationship with the ones that were near me that they just never took my food.
Speaker 1: If any of you had peanut butter experiences, pointing in the bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a PG rated show. I've put a lot of bait out over the years, or offerings or whatever word you want to slap on this thing, and I've never had anything taken to my knowledge, never once, And I don't know if they just weren't around, because obviously there are very few of these things, or it saw me do it, or who knows, who knows. But I've never been successful. But I do have friends beyond you, of course, that say that they have been successful. And I would bring up the Natella jar, the Natella cast as being one of the most important examples.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is shap I'll be shallow. I want to be the guy that proves it. Now, do you carry a gun? Yes?
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can edit this out if you want.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, all views are welcome.
Speaker 1: My that you know, my I've wrote that books scratch for sale, yes.
Speaker 5: Which by the way, I'm proud to say still sells fairly regularly on Amazon. And that book was written and you guys are probably going to never speak to me again. That book was written to be politically correct.
Speaker 4: It's all right.
Speaker 1: It does not mention that from day one I have carried a gun.
Speaker 2: No, but you know what, I was surprised to learn that you were carrying around tranquilizers back in the day. Oh yeah, you know that.
Speaker 1: At first I thought I'm going to get close enough when I went up to Bellakula. I had a tranquilizer gun, and my vet convinced me. I convinced him. He gave me a prescription for ramponds. The name of it it's an animal tranquilizer. They still use it and in order the darts and the gun through the over the internet, and it's good for about fifty feet. But I thought, yeah, what the heck? Well, you know, I soon realized that if I even see one, I'll be lucky much less get a shot at him. So I gave up. But it was kind of fun to have a tranquilizer dart gun for a while. But anyway, I traded it in for the largest rifle with a thermal scope, which is what I use now. And I will take thirty seconds here and give you my rather shallow rationale, which is, men, for better or for worse, and probably for worse, have killed, stuffed and eaten everything, everything, including each other, on the planet, absolutely everything. Why does this guy get a pass? All we need is one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've got mixed feelings, I really do, and I feel bad. I don't feel bad enough. I guess I'm shallow or whatever. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's all good, you know, if you didn't feel bad at all, you would frighten me.
Speaker 1: No, I have really mixed feelings about doing this, but I you know, and you've all been in this as long as I have. It is so frustrating, you know. I look my wife, my son in the eye. They've seen the video, they've heard me tell the stories, and they're going yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. But I know what's going on. I'm sounding paranoid now. I know what's going on behind those eyes, and they're going, you know, is he crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You and you guys, you know until you see one and you know it for yourself what you've seen, you can't swallow this one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back. After these messages.
Speaker 1: I'm still a big believer in the not only do they And I remember you, Bobo, talking about when you turned on the infrared illuminator. One was coming across a pond, I think, towards you, and you turned on the illuminator and it turned around and took off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was me actually with the camera. I was just trying to record the sounds because it was something big was splashed around in the water and we had sasquatches run us earlier that night. We're thinking, that's got to be them. And I had the I had one of those sony cameras with the one led in front early night shots sort of take, and it was like maybe a foot above the ground. I was sitting by the campfire. There's no fire going on, but it's all dark, and this thing wo or Bobo woke me up, and I think it woke Bobo up. So I had the camera but maybe a foot above the ground, and I was just going to turn it just to record the sound. Because this is way back in the early days. I didn't have a lot of technology and all that sort of stuff, you know, didn't have therms or even recorders were very limited by battery and storage and stuff at that point. So and I turned on the red the video camera to record the sounds, but I didn't know the night shot was on. And then that night shot, that one led illuminator came on and immediately immediately at the same time, all sound in the lake across the pond there stopped and I never heard it again after that. I say well, that's a very strong coincidence.
Speaker 1: I have absolutely no doubt that they can sense infrared. I also will go a step further, and you know the market lack of game cam photos considering the number of game cams that are out there, which is, if not millions, hundreds of thousands that they've managed to avoid. I think they can sense electrical feeling. Undoubtedly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're sensing something. I always go with the hearing, like, I think they can hear the electronics, but they might be able to sense it else out.
Speaker 1: Well, I may may maybe hearing is the right word. But you know how like pigeons can can nowhere north is that kind of stuff. They got an extra sense that that that that we don't have, that that tells them that there's there's there's something over there that's generating a little some sort of an electrical field, and for whatever it is, I don't want to go close to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, for the first time I thought of that, I was camping with Bobo up at Bluff Creek and we we'd walked around that night we thought there was one in the area because it sounds we're hearing, and we went to bed and then I set my recorder up. At the time, I was using mini disc recorders because little hard drive recorders just didn't exist yet, you know, or at least not in my prize range did. Maybe they did, but I had a mini disc recorder and they make a little bit of noise, and they could only record for about seventy five minutes, seventy four minutes I think it was, or you know, not very long in a hour hour and a half. And we kind of laid down and we're sleeping outside the tent and just on the ground, and that saying was churning away recording, and we kind of halfway dozed off, and then we were awakened by something really close to camp, like in these bushes that maybe thirty forty feet away, doing this strange like growl, hiss sort of sort of thing. And I go, oh, crap, and then I and then it went away, and I checked the recorder it had stopped. And I think, and I believe it happened right because we checked the time. I think it happened within like two or three minutes after the recorder stopped. Yeah, two minutes, yeah, so yeah, it sounds about right. Yeah, right after the recorder stopped, and that's the first time it dawned to me, like there's something else up. Man, They're they're sensing something about electronics. Maybe they're hearing it. Maybe it's something else like you're saying.
Speaker 1: In this case, it was a sort of a change of circumstance. Yeah. Yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: They're weird critters, man, I'll give them that. They are a weird species.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: The other thing to thinking about, Mike was when I was that night when I had my first full you know, crazy and kind of I knew that, like I was like, oh my god, you know, the first time I knew that for sure was a sasquatch, and that scared the crap out of me.
Speaker 4: Had that night vision, and when.
Speaker 3: I was messing with the folks, there's the knobs in the front and the battery covered nob was the same as the focus and the the knobs, and as I thought I was focusing it, I was unscrewing the battery and as soon as the battery turned off as one of the things screening. Within seconds, they all ran across the metatories with like bluff, charged me and then ran behind me.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, same idea, same idea, and that's that In a way, it is sort of the reverse. The electrical current went off in both those cases and that generated activity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know how they react like when somebody leaves campers, drives away, sometimes you get knocks or something, and it's very often about when something changes, they react in some sort of way. Well, so, knowing as much as you do us ask watches, having so much experience in the woods, what kind of advice would you give to our listeners, Like, what's in your opinion, what are some of the best tactics to actually go out and get something and bring something back.
Speaker 1: And when you say something, I assume you mean a photograph.
Speaker 2: Anything, No, I mean anything.
Speaker 1: Really, My suggestion would be, if you own an iPhone or an Android, to spend two hundred and fifty bucks, get one of those little baby thermals the size of a domino, and get an extension cord of eight feet long from Amazon and use that when you go camping. And that way you don't have to expose yourself. I haven't spent a lot of money, and you can easily record and you can look around three hundred and sixty degrees with this little tiny thing poking out of your tent or whatever. It's an inexpensive way to get in on the program and a very good way to record it too.
Speaker 2: Now, how would you entice the sasquatches to come into camp? Is it all zagnut candy? Is it all like food and sounds?
Speaker 4: Or is anything else to do?
Speaker 1: I don't know what else to do, if you know, if I other than food and sounds, I really don't know what else there is. And I'd love to have some suggestions.
Speaker 2: I got one actually, because I'm just thinking of the other senses right now. Have you ever tried some sort of olfactory attractants, like some sort of smells that they would find interesting?
Speaker 1: Well that was the peanut butter.
Speaker 2: Oh, because you smear it on the outside right right. You know a friend of mine, Chris Minier, we haven't had the show yet, he'd be a great guest out of the show. But Chris minni or the night he saw his he soaked a bandana and what is that?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Really cheap? After shape? What the aqua velva?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He just went to Walgreens or someone bought the cheapest one off the shelf and he just soaked bandanas in that and hung those out a couple hundred yards from camp, and that night he saw one.
Speaker 1: Really the idea a strange smell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, anything changes in their territory, they got to figure out what's going on. Their life might depend on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very good idea that hadn't occurred to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we're always going for the foods. I mean, I think food may or may not work. I mean, I've never had to work, but other people like you have and Tom Shaye and other people. But I think it's just a matter of interest. It's like those those pheromone chips, you remember, playing with those things like that doesn't smell sexy, like what in the world is going on? But it sure might know? But it might it might entice them. That might entice their their curiosity enough to think, like, what the heck is that?
Speaker 1: Well, now we're talking about sort of tracking them on a sexual level.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, Bubba could put his wig on.
Speaker 1: But I have and I've forgotten about this, but you you know, this business about when they'll trade. I've put out on that on that stump. I don't even remember what it was a little rubber ducky or some three pennies or something. I don't even remember what it was, but a little something on the stump. And the next morning that was gone, and there were three pebbles sitting on the stump. So it was there was an exchange there, which I've heard of. I've heard of other people talking about that. As a matter of fact, I've noticed now to my horror, around the U are, which is a big there's a bit's a big area. You go into different remote camp sites and where there will be a stump, you will sometimes see a little toy or three. In one place there was three pennies and it circled with magic marker, and somebody had written on the stump, please don't move these that sort of thing. So there's somebody out there that's doing this little bait business. It's not me.
Speaker 2: So, Mike, I met you at in British Columbia. I think the first time I ever met you were up on the island there, Vancouver Island. But I mean we've been to Olympic Peninsula together. I mean I think I might have been in Florida together or something at one point, North Carolina. All over the place really I mean.
Speaker 1: We've bumped heads at a lot of different places. You and I spent the night together up on the hillside and Dan, Vancouver Island.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. Yeah, Yeah, it was a great night. I don't think they're taking any bigfoot stuff happened, but it was great hanging out with you. Just made a new friend. You know, where have you not gone that you would still want to go?
Speaker 1: Nowhere? I know, I can't think of anywhere that i'd want to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you did it, You just up and did it.
Speaker 1: I well, I you know, I just like you guys. You've sort of been everywhere now And the reason I I had such good luck in the Yuwari and it's only thirty miles away, it would be a waste. I mean, I love the Northwest.
Speaker 2: One of the things that you got to do that I know another guy who's done it as well. But you took You're you're an accomplished you know, like sailor basically you're you're you have your you have nautical a nautical background. Didn't you take a boat up to British Columbia and like sail the islands?
Speaker 1: And uh, well, actually I did it wasn't British Columbia. It was Quebec. You can see if you if you look on the map of Quebec up towards Labrador, you'll see and you can see this on any map. You can see it from outer space. It's a sixty mile wide ring with a forty mile wide island in the middle of it. It looks like a great, big wedding ring, and there's a there's a river that runs from it down about thirty miles to where they built an enormous hydro electric dam. And this is about one hundred and twenty miles from the Saint Lawrence. So you drive up along the Saint Lawrence and you take a hard left and you go up this dirt road for one hundred and twenty miles and you come to this hydro electric dam end of the road, and you can drive around to the top of it, and there's like a place where people put boats in. There's nobody around except the people who run the dam. And we went up up there three times before we were trying to circumnavigate the island, and the first time we had an open sixteen foot sailboat with a little motor and the second day in it got all foggy and rainy and you couldn't see anything. So well, all we could do was just set up our tent and sitting in the tent for like three days. It went on and on and on, and anyway, we ran out of time, so we had to do We wouldn't have had time to go around, so we turned around and came back. Next year, we went back with a motor boat, and I had calculated how much gas I was going to need by driving up and down the Delaware River, and I really screwed it up. I brought what I was going to be more than enough to get around this forty mile island and back down to the dam. And it was rapidly apparent at the end of the first day that my gas consumption estimates were way off, so we had to turn around and bring that back. Then next year we went up with a seventeen foot little sailboat that had a little tiny cabin on it so you could sleep in it, which was a big help, and that we sailed. We did sail it around. It took us twelve days. We went around it. It was beautiful, beautiful, nobody nobody around it just wonderful country, nice weather. It it's called the Mannicuigon Reservoir. And if you look on a map of Quebec up towards Labrador, you'll see a big city. You can't miss it. It's a big, sixty mile wide circle and it stands out like a like I don't know what the moon or something, but it was a neat place anyway. I thought, boy, that'd be a good place for a squatch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an ecological reserve. I have it on the map here and it's called the Louis Babel or Lewis Babel Ecological Preserve. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's so much great habitat in Canada to just to like, you know, put up a map and throw dolls and you can't go three out of four gonna land in a good spot, you know for habitat.
Speaker 1: You're right, I don't think I knew about anything much going on in Quebec. It always seemed to be the northwest part of Canada. But why not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they've got to be up in there. I've got a couple of things from the main border area in Quebec but not. But I think it's just because so few people are there. So many people overlook the ideas like, oh, Washington have so many big foots. Yeah, but Washington has a ton of people. That's why there's so many in reports from California as well. They always overlook the people element in the reports. You know, where there are no people, you aren't gonna have any sunsquatch reports.
Speaker 3: Well, one last thing. You had a pretty funny story, Mike, your Bluff Creek expedition.
Speaker 1: No, I'll tell you briefly. I put an ad in the paper. I wanted somebody to go to Bluff Creek squatching with me. This guy answered the paper so yeah, and he had a brand new for it explorer that we could use. It's great. So I go, Penny, Oh, yeah, I've been camping blah blah blah. I go pick him up. It turns out he's a meth head bouncer at a bar in wherever the hell we were, San Francisco, I guess. And anyway, he was a complete jerk, absolute jerk. Got out there and we went up to Bluff Creek and camped up. There was a there's a dirt road that leads up past the lake, and we went up in there and camped, and I gave him the I gave him the video camera, and I had the rifle, and he immediately started seeing things. Oh there's one, there's one video here, video there, blah blah blah blah blah. We had the car parked pointing slightly downhill, and it was a very shallow downhill, and he decided I was going to sleep in the tent. He was leary about sleeping outside, so he slept in the car. I wake up in the morning. The car is now fifty yards down the road, run off the road, with its nose in the bushes. He says, Oh, I woke up in the middle of the night and I turned on the headlights and I saw one and I thought I would I would creep up on it or something. I don't even remember now. Anyway, so he said I didn't want to turn the end on, so I coasted down there, and then I ran off the road and fell asleep. Well, and this is a big RV. We couldn't get it back on the road, and even if we could, the battery was dead because he'd gone to sleep and left the headlights on. I hiked down the fish Lake, which a couple of miles and I ran into a couple there. They're driving along and I flagged them down. They took me to the ranger station. I talked to the ranger and I showed him my you know, investigator I d blah blah blah, and he very nicely drove me back up there and he said, Bobo, you know this as well as I do, he said, He said, be careful up here for me, he said, he said, all these guys growing pot up and he said, and I'm the only law round. And anyway, we got up there and he jumpstarted the car for me. Fine, okay, so the car, we got the car running, the ranger goes away. Then the next day we drove down to Bluff creeb We were up and we drove down to the creek itself and parked the car and we started walking down along the side of the creek and he said stop stop. He said, there's there's people over there or something like that. And I said yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. He said no, no, no, no, there are there are there are. So I said, okay, we'll turn around and we'll walk up the creek. So we walk up the creek and we go for about half an hour, and he said, there's somebody behind that tree there. He motioned, he said, the guy motioned to me to go back, and I said, yeah, right, I said, okay, Look, I said, we're going to go up ahead to hear up the creek, and we're going to hide, and we're going to wait, and if he comes up here, we'll confront him. So of course we went up there and hid, and nobody showed up. He hadn't seen anything at all. He was the guy had now freaked himself out. That that night, he said, I gotta go have a drink. I got to go to town and have a drink. And I said, well, I'm not going. I said, just okay. Well, he took the car and he didn't come back until ten o'clock the next morning. I mean, at this point he and he had done from the very beginning, everything he did was stupid and wrong and really annoying and and delusional. So I said, that's it. We're going, packed up in the car, drove back. He dropped me off at the airport, and that was it. And I never saw him again. I'm really sorry you were reminded me of that. That was one of the most unpleasant four or five days, whatever it was. I've spent my.
Speaker 2: Life, which is I guess why you go big footing alone?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do. I do. I really like it by myself.
Speaker 2: I do well. Mike. Thanks so much for coming on Bigfoot and Beyond today. It has been far too long since all three of us got to hang out and just shoot the poop for a little while. Man, miss you, I miss you.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: You're a kind of a fixture in my big footing life for a long time. And now we live on opposite coast and we just don't cross paths very often. So thanks very much for coming on and hanging out for a while.
Speaker 1: You are very welcome. It's been great talking to you all, and I wish you all the best. And I've got a son living in Santa Cruz now, So the next time I'm out that way, I'll co look you guys up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I give us a holer. Maybe I'll drive. We can all rally and Bluff Creek and have a good trip out there without all the weirdness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll leave the guns at home. Too your choice. All right, guys, well, thanks very much for having me on. It's been great talking to you, and I hope we can do this again and soon. Take care.
Speaker 3: Why uh, well, I knew you'd have an entertaining show. It's Cliff.
Speaker 2: I love Mike, man. It's been far too long since we got to hang out with that guy.
Speaker 3: He's got a he's got a ton of stories. He's yeah, he's put in the time and he's been rewarded first time. I mean he's frustrated he hasn't got more of it, but he got that great thermal footage. I mean, I mean Stacy's is great because it's so big and you know, it's dwarfs me. It's you can see it head to toe in one frame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Stacy Brown video, the thermal video of the sasquatch from Florida.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Mike's is you know, it's a it's it's it's great because it shows more behavior. But when we did the recreation was it wasn't really much bigger than me, not, you know, not terribly bigger.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not all eight, eight or nine footers. Man, there's a whole lot of six and a half and seven's out there, I think.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, less I forgot was that was the one I got poison. I got poison. Ivy doing that recreation crawling up for the stump. All right, Cliff, well shoots, that was a good one, and we got more good ones coming up. So uh, I'm excited. These have been really good episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a couple of wonderful guests trying to schedule them at this point. And you know, there's so many jobs happening on speaking engagements and stuff right now, so I know that you and I are very very busy, So we'll work our butts off, get some of these things scheduled and kind of share our conversations with our listeners, who we really appreciate. By the way, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks a lot, you guys. And keep on sharing and liking those buttons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love those buttons. You're like frog and toad. Well this is not my button.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for listening. We appreciate the support. We appreciate you guys sharing it and liking it, you know, hitting the buttons that give us the clicks so we can do more of these. So until next time, keep it Squatchy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond. That's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.