Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. It's another day that ends in Y in Donald Trump's assault on American democracy. And I've got the perfect guest to talk about this. It is Mark Elias of Democracy Docket. Mark, a lot of news in your wheelhouse all week long. And today in particular, that's why we were dying to get you on. Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Jim, I always love being on with you.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate it. And, you know, the thing that really got this week off to kind of a scary start from a democracy standpoint is the Supreme Court. I mean, this is just me making this observation, allowing this mail-in ballot insanity to go forward. And now it's gotten to the point where the U.S. Postal Service has now said that the rule is in effect, that what states have to deliver to them, they're their registration information and so on, their mail-in balloting information. And then this is, you know, they're supposed to submit their voter rolls for inspection as part of a broader bid. This is according to the Guardian to protect election integrity and so on. I mean, it's all designed, it seems to me, to stop people from using mail-in ballots, something that Donald Trump has done himself. But your thoughts on how this week has been shaping up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, first of all, let's start with the last point you made. which is Donald Trump has been waging a war nonstop on mail-in voting. I mean, Jim, going back to when you and I were talking about this when you were on CNN in 2020, he was railing about mail-in voting. And he has been trying to figure out a way to make it harder for people to vote by mail, while, as you point out, at the same time, himself actually voting by mail. So this is, in some sense, We are coming to the head of a fight that has been going on now for, you know, for years. And what his latest gambit was, was an executive order that directed the U.S. Postal Service to essentially become a tool in this voter suppression effort. Essentially, the Postal Service would refuse to deliver mail-in ballots to anyone who is not on an approved list that is submitted in advance. to the postal service and that to enforce this, there would be certain ballot design, uh, envelope designs and barcode scans and, and other stuff. And this was challenged in court in a series of lawsuits. We filed one in Washington, DC on behalf of the democratic party. Uh, Norm Eisen filed one in Washington, DC on behalf of a group of nonprofit organizations. Um, and ultimately, um, uh, the states, this Democratic state attorney general filed one in Massachusetts. And that case proceeded to the Supreme Court on a rapid basis. They won. And the Supreme Court said, look, you all sued before there was even a final rule, before the Postal Service had issued their rules to comply with this executive order. So it was too soon. The claims were not ripe, is the legal term. So the case went back down. Well, as we speak, as we are talking, you and I right now, There are renewed motions by me and my law firm on behalf of the Democratic Party, Norm Eisen on behalf of the nonprofits in D.C., the states in Massachusetts, and another group of nonprofits in Massachusetts. And all of those cases are now going to move on an expedited basis. And we should assume that once again, one way or the other, these will wind up in the Supreme Court.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other thing we should note, and the Supreme Court, I guess, now will have to deal with the merits of the case. I guess earlier they were able to say, Well, because of a technicality, we're going to wait for the Postal Service to have a final rule on this and release that rule and so on, which to me, I don't understand why the Supreme Court says, Donald Trump, you don't have any business being involved in elections in this country. The Postal Service doesn't have any business being involved in elections in this country. That's up to the states. And if Congress wants to change rules and so on, they could try to pass a law. But I don't understand why the Supreme Court did what it did from that standpoint. I understand it's a technicality.
Speaker 3: It was even more bizarre, if I can use that word, Jim, because they issued that ruling on Monday, as you pointed out earlier this week. Last Friday night, the Postal Service finalized the rule. So honestly, it appears that the justices who have had this case now before them for the last few weeks, you can imagine what happened. They're all scattered around the world giving speeches and the like. They had been negotiating among themselves on the opinions. They had probably come to a conclusion on what the opinion would say on Friday. I'm guessing that. Then on Friday night, the Postal Service finalized the regulations. And you can just imagine the justices being like, all right, we're not going back to start over again. Just issue the ruling we have. So what's even more sort of senseless about this, in a sense, Jim, is that the moment they issued that ruling, everybody filed the new lawsuits because the Postal Service had, in fact, finalized the rule last Friday.
Speaker 2: Wow. And I guess Trump was asked about this earlier today. PBS asked Trump about it. Thank goodness somebody asked about it. Let's play what he had to say.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court earlier this week ruled on mail-in ballots.
Speaker 2: And there are states like North Carolina that have ballots that go out next week.
Speaker 3: How are states supposed to implement this?
Speaker 4: Well, they're able to. North Carolina is great. It's a great place. I won a goal three times. They do some mail-in ballots. But basically, they ruled on the legitimacy and the way we want to make them legitimate.
Speaker 1: And it was a great ruling for the Republicans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Mark, he says it was a great rule for the Republican Party. He says the quiet part out loud, or as I like to say, the riot part out loud. But anyway.
Speaker 3: The golf part?
Speaker 2: It sounded like golf, but I think he said, I think we won it all three times. I know, I saw the golf thing and I was like, what was that? Yeah, I'm not sure he said that, but yeah.
Speaker 3: I do also have to give you a huge compliment, Jim. The difference between you and everybody else, The fact that you know these reporters, the fact that you know that that was the PBS reporter, pretty good.
Speaker 2: I had a hunch. I had a hunch.
Speaker 1: She's a good reporter.
Speaker 3: Yes, excellent reporter. So look, Donald Trump only cares about holding power. Donald Trump doesn't care about free and fair elections. He doesn't care about voting. He cares about holding power. And he knows that one of the ways in which he will hold power is by making it harder for Democrats to vote. And right now, as the product of all these years of many lies, Democrats vote more by mail than Republicans because Republicans who used to vote more by mail now have shied away from it because Donald Trump keeps lying to them. So, you know, when he says at the end that this will help Republicans, that's all he cares about.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he mentions North Carolina. You know, Liz Landers of PBS asked him about North Carolina. And I mean, that's another critical part of this that I hope the Supreme Court deals with, although I don't have much faith in them anymore, that we are now in the cycle. We are now very much in the in the moment where people are going to start voting very soon. And this could just throw like a massive monkey wrench into the whole process. And I just keep coming back to this. I've said this on my show. I think part of what they're doing, this is chaos by design. They want a 52 car pile up on the democracy interstate. And so they can say, well, you know, this thing is such a huge mess. We just have to stay in charge up on Capitol Hill. You know, maybe we'll sort it out by spring or summer of twenty twenty seven. I just you know, I wonder if that is is what's going on in their heads. In North Carolina, for example, that is where Roy Cooper is running for the Senate and in his favor to win that race and flip a seat. And so it just to me, this is like, come on, guys, this is obvious what's going on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a really smart point. And I hope it's one that people. listen to and internalize that, you know, there are kind of two separate things going on and you have to understand that they're both real. On the one hand, Donald Trump is in fact trying to put in place rules that will prevent more Democrats from voting than Republicans, right? That'll make it harder to vote and will gain partisan advantage. That is true. It is also true, okay, separately from that, it is also true that Donald Trump wants to create a permission structure to say the elections were a mess because the rule that we implemented too late for any state to actually implement correctly is proof that there was fraud, right? So like, as you say, he is both hoping to win the race and hoping that there's a car pileup because either way he is able to use that to try to hold power, either because it actually expresses votes and or creates a circumstance where he can say, look, The law wasn't followed. The states weren't organized. This must all have been fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And to this day, it's never been established that there's ever been widespread voter fraud using mail-in ballots. I'm correct in saying that.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I missed that headline- You could say mail-in ballots or not mail-in ballots.
Speaker 2: Any ballots.
Speaker 3: The United States has got a lot of problems. We've got inflation problems. We've got a president who is threatening Canada. We've got no shortage of problems. If you were to list the top 1,000 problems facing this country, voter fraud would not be on that list. The fact that Donald Trump has chosen voter fraud as the thing he is focused on explains to you why gasoline is so expensive.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Explains to you why the war in Iran is going the way it is. Explains to you why Donald Trump's popularity is, I don't know what, in the 30s now. You know, like because because he is focused on something that is not a problem at all in order to create an environment in which he can falsely claim that the election was stolen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other thing too is, is that, and this doesn't get talked about anymore because everything goes in one ear and out the other and this fire hose of insanity that we're dealing with in the second go round. He had that prime time address. What was it last month? It feels like 10 years ago. And he said that they had found more than 250,000 non-citizens were on the voter rolls of Nevada and just three other States. And, and, I'm looking at, this is a story that just came out this afternoon, a call with Nevada state election officials earlier this month, the Trump administration, point person on non-citizen voting, I guess acknowledged that those numbers were not correct. And I'm just, you know, I don't understand how we're supposed to trust these guys when it comes to this stuff. You know, they just lie through their teeth. And I don't understand why the Supreme Court is even you know, allowing this kind of, this conversation to go forward. That was a PBS NPR story, by the way. DHS acknowledges the non-citizen numbers it touted on voter rolls were inflated. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So look, I think that, I think that the hard thing for people to sometimes understand is that Donald Trump lies about everything.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah.
Speaker 3: And, you know, I watch, I watch, I watch you And you did some amazing reporting about the process by which we went from the reflecting pool was perfectly fixed. And there was widespread vandalism to we have arrested an individual who is guilty and indicted of felonies to await trial. All of that was not true. And there was faulty installation. And you did amazing original reporting on that. And in some ways, I wish, Jim, you could bottle that up and just like insert here, voting, insert here, inflation, insert here, the warmer air. Like you did a really great job of showing that progression, but that's the nature of everything that this.
Speaker 2: White house is. Yeah, no, it's so true. And I mean, and on your front also, I guess, is the counting of the votes, the counting of the ballots, how that's going to play out. There have been lots of stories in the press recently where election workers obviously are going to have to be. We saw this last time around where election workers were being threatened. Election workers were sort of they were under siege. Mark, what is being done to make sure that the sanctity of counting the ballots is going to be protected this time around? I mean, I saw something the other day. where, and this, I guess, may be more applicable to the voting that happens on election day. The candidate, the Republican candidate for governor of Maine has said he wants to see ICE. Are they going to try to have ICE and National Guard troops at voting election counting places too? I mean, it's just, when does it end?
Speaker 3: Yeah. And look, it's not just Maine. I mean, democracy just went up with a story about various Republican counties who have now called for this. I mean, Before we get to election day, my prediction is this will become sort of a standard talking point of Republican candidates. Donald Trump will force them to all say that there should be federal law enforcement at the polls. You know the way this Republican Party works. There's no line under which they won't fall, right? There's no bottom. There's no line they won't cross. And so you're right. We have to worry about this from a few different perspectives. First, to what extent is that going to impact actual election day voting. Now, look, I think that Donald Trump can try to do a lot of things. As a practical matter, it is very difficult given how many polling locations there are in so many places simultaneously. I think that they can do some symbolic things. I think they can do some real damage in particular Democratic strongholds. So I'm not minimizing that. And the lawyers like me and others will be ready to take that on if and when it happens. But I think when you get to the post-election, Now those ballots are no longer in those precincts. Now they're centrally located, right? Now they're in county offices. And now you start to talk about a whole other set of risks. Are you going to see efforts to seize ballots? Are you going to see, which we saw in 2020 when I was, you know, the post-election, I was representing President Biden, then candidate Biden. You know, we saw Republicans, you know, banging on the walls, banging on the windows. They're going to be, you know, we assume that, that law enforcement will protect these election officials. But are you 100% confident that federal law enforcement or even in some of these states with Republican AGs and Republican governors, are you confident that Republicans will be protecting those officials? Or will they be creating an environment that, again, creates that permission structure for Trump to say, look, There's widespread disorder. There is there is a threat to these ballots. And so we need the federal government to take control.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And how let's talk about Democracy Docket, because it's really taking off and people need to understand if you're not looking at if you're not reading Democracy Docket every day, you're doing it wrong. If you care about democracy in this country, you care about elections in this country. Mark, did you ever dream that it would grow to the to the place where it is right now? I mean, it's it's become a must read for everybody that, you know, this is this is a source of an invaluable source that we can all turn to to learn about the twists and turns of are we going to get to are we going to get to the to the end of all of this with our democracy intact?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't. I mean, I started Democracy Docket in 2020 because I saw a need to fill to help people understand and contextualize what is happening to democracy in courts. And I thought we could fill that niche and add to the ecosystem. What we saw after that, which you saw from a front row scene and from which you are one of the great heroes that has emerged, is an absolute capitulation of legacy media. I mean, I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but if CNN was still the CNN that had Jim Acosta front and center... on these democracy issues the way it was, outlets like Democracy Docket, there wouldn't be the demand for it, right? Like there wouldn't be the demand for the Jim Acosta show. But what's happened is as legacy media has bent a knee, there has become this increased demand. So Democracy Docket just crossed 70,000 premium members. We have 500,000 free subscribers. We have a website that's visited by millions. And I'm glad that we are filling this need. But Jim, I'm sure there is also a part of you that wishes- that we saw the courage of the traditional legacy media that we are not seeing right now.
Speaker 2: You know, there are glimpses of it here and there, and I think it's starting to come back a little bit. I think ABC taking the administration to court or the hijinks over at the FCC, I think that is a really welcome sign, but it's not sustained. It's not every day. You know, when I was at CNN, I was sort of unleashed and allowed to report that way. without being worried about, you know, them calling the bureau or the offices of the executives and saying, hey, what's this Acosta guy? Why is he asking so many damn questions? And, you know, eventually that pressure came to bear. And I now I do this here. But I mean, Mark, I'm right there with you. This is a moment where we need our national press to really they've got to find their backbones, because I think these next couple of months are these next three months or so are going to be crucial to the future of this country. and whether we can get through this midterm process with our system in check and intact. I think it's a jump ball. I think it's a live question as to whether we get through this.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I keep saying this to folks. The question is not whether we're going to have elections. We're going to have elections. Donald Trump can't cancel elections. The question of whether or not they are free and fair is a trickier question because there's no one guidepost that says, you know, if you cross this line, then it's free and fair. And if you don't, it's not. It's a, it is a, it is a, it is a, it is a sliding scale and it is easy to become desensitized to something that, that you shouldn't become desensitized to. And, and the media plays an essential role in a democracy. Like it is essential that you have an independent media that is, that is serving as a watchdog, but it too, there's not one point at which you say, okay, it is, no longer doing that function. It's a sliding scale. And you, again, become desensitized to it. And that is the great tragedy of this era. The great tragedy of this era is not that we have the likes of Donald Trump. The great tragedy of this era is that those with the power, those in the large corporate media organizations, those who could be standing up in the Republican Party and saying that what Donald Trump is wrong, they are staying silent. And it is being left to people like you, people like the voters, people like the election officials we talked about, people like Democracy Docket to carry this load that frankly, they shouldn't have to.
Speaker 2: That's right. No, and it's high time that we see some backbone from all of these institutions that have really failed us over the last couple of years. But Mark, You have not. Democracy Docket has been there. And it's always great having you on. Really appreciate it, Mark. Thanks for drilling down on this issue with us. Yeah, good to see you. Thanks, Mark. Thank you so much. And, you know, one of the key issues that people are going to be voting on this fall is the economy, which, you know, Trump is acting as though he is eventually going to be right on this tariff issue that going after American allies like Canada, which is basically our best friend in the entire world. that somehow that economically speaking, that that's going to work out for everybody. And then politically speaking, that that's going to work out for him. That has not been the case, but I have a great guest to talk about this. Justin Wolfer's economist, University of Michigan of Platypus Economics. Justin, great to see you as always. I'm so glad we're getting a chance to catch up.
Speaker 1: Jim, great to see you. And oh my word, it's the Jim Acosta show going from strength to strength.
Speaker 2: It is extra strength these days. We're bringing it, man. This is a critical time in this country. So We got all the bells and whistles, but Justin, it's great to see you. And I keep waking up and thinking to myself, no, we really aren't in a trade war with Canada, are we? Where, you know, I mean, this just doesn't make any sense. And we've got, was it Doug Ford telling Trump to kiss my ass? And I don't mean to get you laughing.
Speaker 1: There, but There's nothing we can do except laugh.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true.
Speaker 1: To your Canadian viewers, I am so sorry. There's nothing funny about it.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: It's the only way to get through the day.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: We actually had an election campaign, and the president, to his immense credit, told the truth. He said, I like tariffs. He forgot to say, the people I hate the most are Canada.
Speaker 2: I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: No, I saw that coming. And we've been at it for a year and a half. He didn't even get bored of this one. He keeps coming back to it.
Speaker 2: It's absurd.
Speaker 1: And my laughter is that. It's actually, I want to be clear to folks. My laughter is a considered judgment from a PhD economist. I'm not making fun of anything. I am just looking at the punchlines all around us.
Speaker 2: It's professional laughter. It is.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It's PhD level laughter and it is, it is, I mean, it would be funny if it weren't so economically destructive, I guess. And I, you know, I, I don't, you know, he is, apparently he's got, he's imposed 50% tariffs on $ 20 billion worth of Canadian goods. Um, Canada, you know, they've, they've announced their own retaliatory tariffs on about $ 20 billion worth of goods. I guess at the end of the day, Trump made taco and this whole thing may calm down, but I, there are so many different ways to start with the Justin and I covered the first administration. I remember the USMCA, the US-Mexico-Canada trade agreement that he signed. And he seems to have a problem with his own agreement that he signed with our best friends, the Canadians. Again, this doesn't make any sense. And I remember at the time it sounded too much like YMCA, USMCA.
Speaker 1: I want to dance every time someone talks about it.
Speaker 2: But we can't do that dance because it's so ridiculous that he does that thing. And I'm like, it makes me cry.
Speaker 1: Do you think two middle-aged straight white men could do a bit of a, come on, Jim, join me.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. I don't. You know, that and it's just too much. I can't do it. I stopped dancing to the YMCA when I was in middle school, I think, during fifth period Jim. But that's just me. We could do it if you want.
Speaker 1: We could do USMCA, but I don't know how to do an S.
Speaker 2: Wait, ready? There's too many letters. USMCA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's true. And I just want folks at home to understand what I just got Jim Acosta to do. We're going to sing and dance while talking about tariffs. Hey, Jim, let's do something wildly outside the American mainstream.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All day, every day, we talk about these things through the lens of America and Americans. Let's just cross the border for a moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And think about this through the eyes of Canadians, because they're people. They're our friends. They're our neighbours. And even if they're not, they have intrinsic dignity. Yeah. All of this is for, so, you know, the best analogy, and this is not PhD level economics, is this is a cat batting around a mouse. Do you have a cat?
Speaker 2: I have a dog.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've got a dog too. You can have more than one, Jim.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm bipartisan.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: When my cat catches a mouse, he doesn't just eat the mouse. Cats are bastards about it. They play with them. They bite them enough that the mouse is in pain and they bat them about and they look very proud of themselves. And sometimes they come and drop the mouse on your bed.
Speaker 2: It's nasty.
Speaker 1: It's nothing's nice about it. And cats are nice except when they've got a mouse, like you can't be a cat person. And I don't have a better analysis. And I apologize to my friends in Canada for cooling the mice, but like, he's just batting it around. And the thing is what's painful about watching my cat with a mouse is it's to no good point, right? It's a moment of joy for my cat, but the mouse is a creature and the mouse is hurting. Um, And if I have to talk about animals to get people to care about Canadians, I'm happy to do it. But, look, the Canadian economy, Canada was promised by the United States, we have a free trade agreement. We've had one since 1989. That was the US-Canada free trade agreement. Then President Bush negotiated and President Clinton got through Congress, NAFTA. Then the first President Trump realised he hated it, so he came to power, ripped it up, sticky taped it back together again and gave it a new name that you can now sing and dance to. But basically the USMCA is just a relabeled NAFTA. So this is the first President Trump's deal. And then the second President Trump has come to power and said, who's the idiot who negotiated this? Right. Which might be the smartest thing he's ever said. Now, I don't play the man, I play the ball.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And so, but the problem with this is, Once you show you will not live up to an agreement, Mark Carney used the term, your signature's in pencil.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Then that narrows the scope of possible agreements.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: If you're advising Mark Carney right now, would you say, go all in on this because once we get this deal, he's going to leave us alone this time? Or would you say this deal is only good until the president agrees wakes up in a bad mood again, in which case we should bring nothing serious to the table. So what this is doing, by the way, is it is in a very direct way hurting American interests. Let me give you the simplest story of leadership. Effective leadership is walking into a room and making it easy for someone else to say yes. Right. I did it today. I got Jim Acosta to dance.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: And I got you to yes. And I did that by bringing all the full force of my charm and personality. And I also pointed out we're both middle-aged white blokes and so we had a bit of solidarity, you know, that dad energy. But what I didn't do is call you a clown and tell you to fall into line. I didn't call you a governor and I didn't say that I was going to take over your livelihood whether you liked it or not. Right. So these look, we're used to bad behavior, but this is bad behavior that is literally costing you. And I just want people to see that every time the president does this, he's taking money out of your family's pocket. That's it. It may not be a lot, but it's kind of meaningful. And the other thing is, it's dumb. His job is to work hard to jam more money into your family's pocket.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and there are so many products that we import from Canada that are now going to be a lot more expensive. I saw a story about a home builder who said because of lumber coming in from Canada being more expensive that that is going to result in higher prices. I mean, it does not take a rocket scientist or a PhD in economics to figure this stuff out.
Speaker 1: This is going to cost people. Let me give you another way of thinking about it. I live in Michigan, and so I'm right on the Michigan-Canadian border. Right. If you think it's a good idea for Michigan to have high tariffs across that border with Canada, surely you think it's a good idea for Michigan to have high tariffs on the border with Ohio. Both of them are just invisible lines with people on either side. One of them is full of people who support the worst college football team in human history. But we actually still managed to get to a free trade agreement with them. The logic that says one invisible line we should put tariffs on and other invisible lines we shouldn't is on its face just completely flawed. Now, I will say I like to see the cup occasionally a little bit half full. It is stunning how much the president has failed to bring the American people along on this. He has lost the battle of ideas so profoundly on this issue. And it's a very hard one to lose. And I think it's because he hasn't engaged in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it just does stuff.
Speaker 2: I think he just does stuff and i think he he believes that at the end of the day at some point in time maybe in the not so distant future before he leaves the scene he will be proven right on this protectionist idea that he has that if you just slap tariffs on everybody you'll get a better deal from all these different countries And even if you do it to your allies, they'll forgive you and they'll just they'll just buckle to your demands. And he was asked about this in the Oval Office. Why are you going after your allies harder than you're going after adversaries? And and it was interesting. We should listen to this because I thought it was a really important thing.
Speaker 3: Here. Well, they haven't treated as well.
Speaker 4: The Canadian officials have treated us very badly. They're nasty people. They charge our farmers 400% tariffs. They've been doing it for a long time.
Speaker 3: And I had them.
Speaker 4: Figured out in my first term, and I did some pretty strong things and had it getting pretty good. And then the election was rigged, and now I'm coming back and doing it the way and finishing the job.
Speaker 1: But they treat us very badly.
Speaker 4: Canada treats us very badly. I would say that of all countries, as you know, we have President Xi coming in a couple of weeks. We have a lot of— we deal with a lot of people, and people.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes— Yeah, he loves the dictators more than he loves the people who believe in democracy like right across our border, you know, our best friends.
Speaker 1: It's wild. The other thing is there is survey events. It turns out Americans like Canadians. The president has completely lost the American people on this one in particular because we all know Canadians. My sister married one, and he's a lovely bloke. My brother lives in Toronto. He's having a terrific time. Great country. We're all linked. You can't lie and call Canadians nasty. I'll tell you the funny story, Jim. At some point I was doing a TV interview with the folks up in Canada, and at some point I thought, oh, talking about economics is too hard. I'm just going to speak from the heart. So I said, look, I just want to say I'm sorry. We south of the border don't believe in this, or at least not all of us. So I'm sorry. And the bloke at the other end, the Canadian TV interviewer, so Canadian, he said, well, I'm sorry that you feel you have to apologise. And I was like....
Speaker 2: That's so Canadian. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He apologized that I apologized moving assholes.
Speaker 2: I know, but they're starting to get their dander up. And God bless the Canadians for standing up to Donald Trump. I think it's one of the best things that I've seen in a long time. And I wonder what their best move is here. I am not any kind of negotiator when it comes to trade and that sort of thing. But it seems to me the Iranians have figured out that you can just make Donald Trump's life miserable. By with these little pinprick attacks in the Strait of Hormuz and dragging things out and not going along with these demands and not buying any of his bluster and bluff bluffing and so on. And it seems to me the Canadians could just do the same thing and they could just let us ratchet up our own misery on ourselves and just wait it out. And I know maybe that's not the most Canadian thing to do because they are such very nice people. Thank God we have them on our northern border. We don't realize what a blessing that is. that this wonderful peace loving people is a, and they just take care of themselves beautifully and, and they don't really cause us any problems. And they fought. And as somebody is saying right now, they fought side by side with us in so many wars, they did it after nine 11 and so on. But it seems to me in this moment, their best move may be to let us just continue to step on a rake.
Speaker 1: I'm not so sure. Oh, interesting. Okay. So I get the desire to, serve up pinpricks to the president yeah like and honestly if they're like one of those little dolls i might occasionally be tempted to what do you call those dolls yeah i might might buy a whole you know a thousand pack of pins to put in it um but realize the whole point is tariffs hurt people on both sides yes so let me say it another way and this is the the important economics most important economics lesson you learn all day you know it already jim Trade of all forms is about cooperation. I trade with my better half, Betsy Stevenson. I'm an Australian, she's an American, and I unload the dishwasher and she washes the clothes. As a result, we each do what we're better at and our household runs a little smoother. Our household is going to be worse if you put frictions or tariffs that make it more difficult for Betsy and I to trade. Yes. That logic, and I use this when I teach income one, and when I start with the logic of thinking about two people, because that logic is countries don't trade with each other. People trade with each other.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: And so the same thing that leads me to trade with Betsy. By the way, I trade with you, Jim. I'm coming on your show. And in return, you're telling me terrific jokes and giving platypus economics some exposure. That's trade, right? I'm giving you some economics.
Speaker 2: The dad joke trade.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The dad joke trade. We love it. We're all there for it. And both of our lives are richer because that's cooperations. And that would be cooperation if the webcam I'm staring into right now were in Australia or if it were in America. But it would be international trade in one of those cases, and it's not in the other. And so it would bear tariffs in one of those cases, but not in the other. So if you understand trade as cooperation, then you understand any attempt to reduce trade as destroying cooperation. Now, the thing is, if the government came and said Acosta and Wolfers can never talk again, just think about what gross dad joke product would do. It would fall.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And it would fall tragically. We would both suffer. And that's the very difficult and very real trade-off that Prime Minister Carney faces right now, which is if President Trump's sin is not understanding trade is cooperation and he's destroying cooperation, is Canada's best response to also destroy cooperation?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And just to educate our viewers a little bit, some tariffs are necessary. Republican and Democratic administrations have had to apply tariffs. I remember during the Obama administration, I think they went after China on tires, if I'm not mistaken. There have been instances where it just makes sense. You just have to do it because there might be product dumping and that sort of thing. So it's not a nutty idea to do this. But he's been doing this in a blanket fashion that just gets everybody riled up. I don't understand what he thinks is the end game in all of this, that people are just going to buckle and back down and he'll get a better deal out of it. Right.
Speaker 1: So I think you're right. There's a very real argument to be had. When and where and are tariffs helpful? And if we're talking about smart tariffs, that's actually a really engaging debate. Should we put them on tires? Should we put them on chips? Should we put them on guns? Should we put them on food? And I have that debate with my students and it's really interesting. You know what there's no debate about? Dumb tariffs. And that's the problem. So for instance, the fact that our tariff regime keeps changing, if the idea of tariffs is to bring manufacturing jobs back to America, then what you need is to make it so profitable to do business in America, people want to build new factories. But if you realize the current tariff regime that's meant to induce you to do that is going to last until next Wednesday, Why would you start building a factory that's going to take you several years to build and you need to keep profitable for several decades? That's an example of dumb. Let me give you another example of dumb. If what you want is a better deal out of the Canadians, what you want to do is make it easy for them to say yes. The president's done the exact opposite. And so, again, we're not getting leverage out of this. If Prime Minister Carney wanted to agree with President Trump right now, he couldn't. He would get drawn and courted by the Canadian population who've been called clowns. And so this is really my frustration. In another administration, let's have a wonderful rich debate about when and where tariffs are useful. But the incompetence with which this tariff regime is applied is breathtaking.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And somebody asked the question earlier, could a democratic administration regain this trust with the Canadians? I mean... It sounds as though and you're closer to this being in Michigan. It sounds as though something has changed. And I hear this from the diplomatic community here in Washington, that America's allies, you know, they're starting to come to this feeling that that America is not predictably stable anymore. And that if you can have Donald Trump in there, then he gets booted out and then he has an insurrection and then he gets back in somehow. People around the world just question the judgment of the American people. They say, well, you know, and then he acts this way during the second term. They just say, well, you know, we just got to figure out other things, too. And the Canadians are talking about forming tighter alliances with the Europeans and so on. There could be some really long term serious effects because a new Democratic administration could come in. The Canadians and Europeans and maybe South Koreans. He's been pissing them off, too. Might say, well, you know, we tried this. It didn't work. Good luck.
Speaker 1: So there's a range of possible ways in which people could think about this. At one extreme, it's the Americans had a moment of madness and elected this particular ruler, and he stands completely at odds with all past and all future American presidents. Let's take a mulligan, which I believe is a golf term that means something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's what it means.
Speaker 2: You're screwed up and you get to go another.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Okay. You take another swing, I think is what it is. My buddies give them to me all the time. But anyway, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay. I would like to give you a mulligan. Can I give you a mulligan?
Speaker 2: You can always give me a mulligan.
Speaker 1: Okay, great. That's one extreme. The other extreme is the American people have put President Trump at the center of their political life for 12 years in a row. They elected him twice. The problem here is not a president. The problem is the electorate and its cultural, political and social institutions. And they've shown their institutions to be unstable and unreliable in a way that one simply can't forget. Where are we on that spectrum? I don't know. I know that countries have rehabilitated themselves. Let me quietly say some of my best friends are German. There was a time that would have been kind of an awkward thing to say. Argentina, though, has lurched from crisis to crisis and probably doesn't feel out of the woods anytime soon. Right. We're somewhere in all of that. But what we do know is that we have taught the rest of the world that certainly I have come to the conclusion the world is more uncertain than I could possibly have ever imagined. I would never have thought of the idea that the United States would be in the midst of a trade war and have threatened the integrity of canada i literally would have thought if you told me that was a million to one i would have offered you odds i would let you bet a dollar to what a million um and that in turn means that everyone has to do do you remember during covid when we couldn't always get the vaccines or the protective equipment right we got these new words like friend shoring and on shoring it was like hey you kind of learned other folks aren't as reliable as you might have hoped Well, that's been a big lesson. And so, yeah, the rest of the world is talking to each other. Whether they're going to let us back in the conversation, that's the thing we've got all our fingers and toes crossed about. But, Jim, on that, I just want to end with a compliment, which is any number of media figures might say, and how do you think this will affect Q3 GDP? And I can give you an answer, but the answer is not very interesting. How will this affect the overall institutions, the structure that yours and my kids will grow up in? How will this affect the opportunities that are available to them? How will this affect future military spending and therefore the taxes that they pay? How will this affect their ability to find love or friendship or work or trading partners across invisible lines that divide our countries? That's where you've moved us to. And I just really appreciate that. I want to dwell on that. And if there's one economic lesson that I've spent a lot of time trying to talk to people about, it is that look, stop looking at next quarter's numbers for whether the next recession is going to happen. Instead, use economic theory, intuition, and history to ask yourself, is something even more valuable at stake here?
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more, 100%. And the Canadians have been such good friends that it has never been a thought that's occurred to any of us. Would they always be there for us? And now it's becoming kind of an open question because of what is happening right now. But Justin, Thank you so much for coming on Platypus Economics. We can find you there and subscribe to you, follow you everywhere you're at. Justin, great to see you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Take care, Jim.
Speaker 2: All right. Thank you. And gosh, what a, you know, Justin teaches economics. I would not want to enroll. Can I enroll at the University of Michigan and take one of Justin's classes? That was terrific. You know, listen, I think what Justin was getting at there, and it's something that I like to talk about on the show from time to time. And I mentioned this just recently, I talked about how, you know, I was at one of these diplomatic functions around Washington, DC that I go to from time to time. And some very lovely people, by the way, I mean, for all of you, America first, America, America, I never leave the country because why would I leave the best country on earth and go to these other countries? And who are these people, these weird foreigners and stuff? Some of the loveliest people you could meet are outside of the borders of the United States. and are living in places and in countries that we consider to be close friends of the United States, close friends of America. And I told this story the other day. I'll tell it again in case folks missed it. I was at a diplomatic function. I had an ambassador to one of our allies in Europe come up to me and say, what's happening right now, Jim, reminds me of Germany in the 1930s. And there was another ambassador from another U.S. ally standing next to this ambassador. And that ambassador nodded. Yep.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And they were both saying the same thing. And, you know, it is funny to see the memes and talk about Donald Trump getting made fun of and, you know, stepping on a rake and acting like a fool on the world stage. But it is having real world consequences. It is having lasting consequences. on our relationships with our friends around the world. And when you talk about the Canadians, one of the things that the Canadians will remind us of, and they're such polite people that they maybe allow us to remind us of this first, is they were with us shoulder to shoulder after 9-11. They've been with us shoulder to shoulder on D-Day, in so many other cases, when America's back was against the wall, when the fate of the world was on the line. The Canadians have been there for the United States. The Canadians have been there for humanity, for democracy, for freedom around the world. To call them staunch allies is an understatement. And then you have Donald Trump in the Oval Office today cracking wise about how he wants to rename Lake Ontario, Lake America. Let's play this before we go.
Speaker 4: Changing the name of Lake Ontario. effective immediately to Lake America. As you know, Canada's been ripping us off for a long time on trade, very sadly.
Speaker 1: Even the military.
Speaker 3: You know, we defend Canada for nothing. We don't get anything. They don't pay us to defend Canada, but we defend Canada. They want to be.
Speaker 4: Treated like a state, but they're not a state. But they want to be treated like they're a state. And so we just can't do that anymore. We lose, on average, over the last 15 years, $ 60 billion a year carrying Canada. So we just can't do it anymore. We love the people of Canada. I don't think their representatives do an appropriate job.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll change.
Speaker 3: I really don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's Donald Trump just acting like a fool, insulting our Canadian friends, talking about how badly they treat us and so on. I mean, this again, you know, every accusation is a confession. Every accusation is projection. It's Donald Trump who is being the belligerent fool here. And I know Justin Wolfers was saying this a few moments ago. I'll say this right here on behalf of the American people to our Canadian friends. We, I mean, there are so many of us who would like to apologize for this ridiculous behavior. And, you know, I mean, there have been some, some, you know, witty retorts to all of this. Obviously there's been some talk about renaming Lake Ontario, perhaps Lake Epstein. I mean, there is that. But, you know, This goes back to what Donald Trump was doing. There it is right there. Lake Epstein.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Our Canadian friends are funny. And, you know, this goes back to what was happening at the beginning of this second administration, the beginning of this second go-around, when he tried to rename the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America. Nobody calls it the Gulf of America. The only stupid idiots who call the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America are either working at the White House or on Fox News. And I don't even think the people who watch Fox or vote Republican or vote MAGA, I don't even think they call it the Gulf of America. It is just the dumbest thing. And I remember hearing people in legacy mainstream media, they were suddenly calling it the Gulf of America to kiss up Donald Trump. It was just the most grotesque, stupid bullshit that I had ever seen. But it was happening at a time when Trump was putting everybody's head in the vice. He was going after people who were a part of the mainstream media, people like myself. He was going after law firms and universities, and he was banning the Associated Press from Air Force One and the Oval Office because they wouldn't call the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America. Doesn't that feel like a million years ago? And here we are now, some 60 or 70 days before the midterm elections, and how stupid and foolish does Donald Trump sound right now? calling Lake Ontario, Lake America. First of all, he can't even come up with some other word other than America. He's like a toddler who has a limited vocabulary. But think about how little leverage he has now. Think about how much his standing on the world stage has been reduced and how isolated he looks around the world. I mean, he sends the CIA director to Russia to say, please don't attack a NATO country. There used to be a time in the United States of America, where we didn't have to put the CIA director on a plane to Russia and beg them not to, to attack a NATO country because we were the United States of America and people didn't fuck with us. And I guess people are fucking with, and the Russians feel like they can fuck with us now. And the Chinese feel like they can fuck with us now and on and on and on because Donald Trump's standing on the world stage has been diminished. He is the incredible shrinking president and he is shrinking in stature before our very eyes. And all he has left are these petty, immature, obnoxious insults where he calls Lake Ontario, Lake America. The Canadians are not impressed by that. That doesn't get them back to the bargaining table. All it does... is again piss off and alienate and ostracize a country that has been with us every step of the way. They are arguably our best friends in the world because they have been not just friends, and we have wonderful friends in the Brits, the French, and I'm not naming all the countries, and people are going to mad at me for not naming all the countries, Australia and Japan, and there are so many wonderful countries around the world that would say, yes, we're the best friends of America, maybe not now. But the Canadians have been good neighbors. They've been like that neighbor across the street in your community or maybe next door. Your car breaks down or your battery dies and they come over with the jumper cables or maybe your power goes out. They've got a generator and you don't, so they bring the extension cord over so you have power again. Your air conditioning can go back on and you can put on your refrigerator. That guy, that gentleman, that nice lady next door, those are the Canadians. They're the ones, if you're broken down on the side of the road, even though we live in this violent, fucked up country where everybody's worried that they're going to get shot or killed, They're the nice elderly senior citizen gentleman who pulls up in front of your car on the side of the road and get your car going again or helps you put the spare tire on. That's who the Canadian people have always been to the United States of America. And Donald Trump is absolutely completely shitting all over that friendship and relationship. He is completely shitting over the most invaluable friendship that we have anywhere in the world. Because they're right on our border. Think about how lucky and how fortunate we are. Right on our border. That massive border. He likes to talk about the southern border. Talks about the southern border. And our Mexican friends are wonderful too. But think about how peaceful and tranquil and idyllic the Canadian existence has been for decades. And I guess centuries. And how all of that has never really backfired on us or hurt us in any way. It's always been a good and wonderful thing to have the Canadians across the border from us. And now we've pissed them off to the point where they don't like to hear the national anthem at sporting events. And now they're angry with us. They're upset with us. We've pissed off a very good friend. And friendship, it's one of the best things that we have in this world. It's one of the best things that we have in this existence is a good friend who is always there for you. I have them in my life. And they're invaluable to me. And that's who the Canadians are to Americans. And we have completely and totally torched that at the hands of a mad lunatic and fool. I want to thank Mark Elias for coming on the show today. I want to thank Justin Wolfers. Thank all of you for watching. Please support independent media. Check out our daily newsletter. If you support independent media, you can continue to bring stories like this. Be sure to like, subscribe. It all matters. If you like these takes, sometimes we put the takes out there as stuff you can pick up as well. Become a paid subscriber. Get immediate access to our brand new daily newsletter. It's on Substack and YouTube posts. Check it out if you can. We really appreciate it. And once again, thank you, Canada, for being our friends. And I just hope we can get you back. Still reporting from Washington, I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time.