Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Anda hump Day is upon us. Welcome in. It is Kentucky at It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS five o six here on a Wednesday morning, and we've got you for the next four hours. Hopefully that's a long commitment, four hours of your time. That would be very, very courteous of you. So if you can't give us four hours, I do understand, but just know that wherever you go you can take us with you. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at WHAS dot com. Certainly a lot to get into today, which I don't think we're going to get any definitive answers within the next four hours, but maybe we do. Are we going to war? Is that? Is that happening?
Speaker 2: I mean? Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that something that is we need to be worried about? I mean, you've got I mean, I'm looking here. This is this is a story that PBS put up last night. Trump bases difficult choices in support of Israel's war on Iran.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is from Vox Vox Vox News, not Fox Vox, with a v v for Vicky Uh. The surprising right wing push to keep us out of war. Uh this is from the Guardian. Trump cannot avoid the question much longer. Is he going to join Israel's war or not? And I don't know if we're gonna get answers to these questions, but we are going to talk to Rory O'Neil. It'd be a it'd be a tall task to put on Rory right, there'd be a lot of a lot on his shoulders if we if we if we depend on him to tell us in fact, are we going to war or are we not? But uh we shall, we shall see. I guess over the next, uh over the next.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Tough for me to say when we'll get any defenditive answer. And it's also tough to really know exactly what our president wants to do because when you have the reversal of the ice raids as far as who they are targeting when it comes to getting illegal immigrants out of this country. I mean, this is just this is where it's a little bit tough to to know exactly where he stands. Because after aially putting a halt on rating certain businesses, right restaurants, hotels, those type of industries, just within what four days now there's been now there's been a reversal, So yeah, I mean they reverse course and instructed these ICE agents to resume rating illegal immigrants who are in the agriculture business and hotels. So I guess maybe restaurants aren't part of that. But either way, when you see again, I said this, the whenever the news over the weekend became out that they were not they were no longer, at least at that time, focusing on those that were working in certain industries. Because you know, I think we all were aware, regardless of your thoughts, and when it comes to ICE and legal immigrants in this country, I think we all, if we're being honest with ourselves, realize we have industries here in America that are very much dependent on migrant workers. So we knew that going in, and if you claim that we don't, you're a liar. But now we had the pause and then days later and again this is just my thought. I can't prove it, just something that I kind of think maybe a factor here that just with things getting so contentious with the with Iran and Israel, it's just things are heated to where, Okay, wouldn't it wouldn't shock me at all if there was a all right, well the hell with it, we're gonna now we're now, we're now enforcing it everywhere, right, I mean, poly.
Speaker 4: Market's one of the it's one of the top cryptocurrency. Well, it's not cryptocurrency. It's just a currency market where people come bet on futures. And that's that's how I told Tony this story. That's why I knew Donald Trump was going to win the election the first time around before I went to bed, because it was everybody was putting money on him.
Speaker 3: And it's a great system.
Speaker 4: It's not always accurate, mind you, but it's a great system for kind of seeing where things are going, where they're trending. And according to poly Market, because I asked the same question you did, I looked up yesterday about fifty five, they're about fifty five percent that yes, the US is going to go ahead with intervention in what's going on in Israel, so.
Speaker 3: Fifty five, So we're just over half. I mean in that direction.
Speaker 1: Just try, you know, from someone that's very much outside of things to put it to put it lightly, when I try to check the temperature as best I can, which is not very good. It seems as if we're heading that way, and.
Speaker 3: Then then the question becomes what happens to our gas? Now?
Speaker 1: Was it my first thought? But that's I'm sure others will will will probably think the same thing, and certainly that'll be a factor. I mean, there's the hard hard to imagine that we won't see a change there at the gas pump. So again, we'll talk to Rory O'Neil coming up here about five forty five. What a loaded Wednesday we have for you. UFL Baseball survives yesterday. They're gonna play once again today taken on Coastal Carolina, which I'm just gonna say it for today specifically, but maybe even long term. I'm anti Shanta clear.
Speaker 4: I love those jerseys though, Oh man, they're they're really really manufacturing some some disrespect that's not really there.
Speaker 1: Which again, you got to get an edge. It's competition, I get it, So we'll get into that. Also, no surprise, the TikTok band is going to get exten meaning it's not going anywhere just yet. And then yesterday some news broke at the end of the show. For those that might have missed it, I'm sure you've heard it by now, but U of l in the City of Louis, we're going to honor Tom Jurich where a part of Floyd Street will be named after Jurich. I've got some belated thoughts on that and just kind of my thoughts on the reaction to it, and we'll let you hear a little bit of what Mayor Greenberg had to say. So we've got you covered this morning again. It's Wednesday, it's five eleven. Let's get our first update of traffic and weather right here on news Radio eight forty whas it is five sixteen here at Kentucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. We'll have an update on sports coming your way in about ten minutes. John Shannon with his first newscast coming your way at five thirty and our news partner's over at WLKY. One of the stories that I see on their front on their front page of their website here, I'll just read you the headline and stick with me, because I'm going somewhere with this community pleading for justice after boy dies in Alca when neighborhoods shooting. And then there's also another story that gives some details about a separate incident where a man and a teenage boy were injured, and it sounds as if there have now been two miners children that have been charged in some form of fashion with this crime. And I don't know if it's because I'm I think if you're a parent and you don't maybe maybe some would not agree with this. All of us here are parents, but I think a lot of things change as far as perspective when you become a parent. But when I see this become not so surprising that some of the violence in our community, and you know, murders that take place involve children rather it be them being the victims or them being the ones who commit the crime, I don't want it to ever become not surprising. So I guess my question is, and there's really no way to know this. This isn't normal, right, Like, this isn't something that's been like, you know, I feel like whenever preach children. Long before I became a dad, I don't feel like these kind of stories were as common and I don't act like it happens every single day, but it happening, ever is certainly an issue and concerning. But I don't know if it's more so just me having a different really a different life when you've become a parent. It's just different. But man, it's just it's it's so sad and scary. Like I the first thing that comes to mind for me when I see especially these kind of situations, but even not not even violence to this level where you're talking about murder or whatnot, but just the youth, right, like, who's raising these kids? Like like like yes, I mean it's yeah, And I hate to sound like well back in my day, but I guess I will do it back.
Speaker 3: I just when it comes.
Speaker 1: To parents now, and I don't want to put everybody under the same umbrella, but there certainly seems to be way more of well, there's just no way my kid did something wrong. I got to go address this with the teacher or the administrator or whoever's in charge, whoever my kid is, because there's just no way. That wasn't how it's that was not how things were when I was growing up. Because teachers, you know, grown ups, way more often than not they got the benefit of the doubt over a kid just saying oh no, mom, it wasn't me. They're they're picking on me. Now the teacher doesn't like me, or the assistant principal. No, I had to punch him in the face because you know he was just looking at me. Funny, mom, you have to like to me. It just it's it's scary.
Speaker 3: I think. I think it's you're right, you're you're a spot on.
Speaker 4: And I think it all started back even when my daughter was coming up, maybe about twenty years ago. It was the first generation that where parents couldn't parent their own kids the way they were parented in a lot, in large part due to technology at the time, you know, MySpace and these were all the early infancy ones and then of course now they're on. My wife couldn't tell you how Snapchat works, you know, she couldn't tell you how some of these apps work. And I'm not saying that directly attributes to it. I'm saying it's a huge culture gap that lies here, and some parents are just beside themselves and they're like, I can't get a handle on this.
Speaker 3: You know, our parents.
Speaker 4: Used to be able to sit and listen to us talk on the phone, and you know, we couldn't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: We had to be more not so much.
Speaker 4: Maybe your generation where you guys, I think you came in with you still had the cell phones.
Speaker 1: Growing up, we were in a I say we those of those that are sort of I guess in my in my age range, I feel like I had the best of both worlds because as a young kid, we didn't have technology where the Internet was really anything other than a dial up thing that wasn't that useful, and we didn't really we didn't have smartphones. Put it that way. We had cell phones when I was like when I was a teenager, but you couldn't really do a whole lot on them other than maybe phone for call somebody, And the text message didn't become a thing until like I was about seventeen, So you know, it was different.
Speaker 4: On parents could parents were more dialed in and culture's changed, and eventually we'll evolve and parents will figure this out. And I also I still think though a large number of the younger generation is probably our next greatest generation. I think there's a lot of good that comes out of that generation. But to your point, it's an issue for parents.
Speaker 1: Look, it's one thing to be involved to a level of where you are a victim of gun violence or you are you are somebody who's who's a criminal. That's one thing, But I just the amount of exposure that kids have to that lifestyle is insanely scary to me. Exactly, just is so agree scary stuff. All right, We've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also our first update of sports with Scott right here. It is five twenty one. Kentucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty whas. Thanks so much, John Shannon. It is five thirty five. Here Kentucky at his morning news with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty whas so Mayor Greenberg. He joined us yesterday at eight forty five. Big thanks to Mayor Greenberg for breaking that news with us here.
Speaker 3: That was right job. By the way, thank you that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I've had people ask me, hey, how'd that come about? And it's really not a wild story. I've known Craig Greenberg for a while before he was the actual mayor, which I'm very glad that I've got to know him prior to him, you know, running for mayor and of course becoming the mayor of Louisville. And I consider him a friend. I would hope he'd say the same about me.
Speaker 3: But he was.
Speaker 1: He was here for his first in studio appearance a couple of weeks ago, in my first week. And he's a big Louisville fan. I know some people give him a tough time because you know, he has been to UK events. He's not. I mean, look, he's the mayor of Louisville, where there are a ton of Kentucky fans, bet our residents. He'd be foolish to be very anti UK, but make no mistake about it, he's a Louisville fan and when the two are playing, there's no hesitancy as far as which way he's leaning. But anyhow, you know, he and I we talked. We've talked about uf L stuff for a long time, and he was he was, I think, itching to tell somebody. He knew I would certainly appreciate the news. So he said, you won't believe what we're doing coming up later this month. We were planning to do something special for Tom Jurch on campus, and I just said, man, there's this new show or a new host in town that might really be able to benefit from having this piece of news. Maybe break on that show and He's like, yeah, that'd be great. And I didn't think he'd think much about it because and he didn't owe that to me by any means. But he called me Monday and said, Hey, I'm going to post the video at nine am, but how about coming on with you at eight forty five. I can't be in studio, but I come on eight forty five, share with you first, and then I'll and then it'll be public at nine. And I was like, yeah, let's do it. Sounds good to me, which it worked out well, but that I shouldn't admit this, But that's the first time I really knew what like embargoed means. You know, I knew of it, I knew generally, I knew what it meant, but I'd never really been I mean, in the news that I've been covering in for the majority of my career, it's not big, big time breaking news. So it was nice to have to have the mayor share that for here with us, and we certainly appreciate it. And I think this news is I believe it's only going to benefit everyone involved with the U of L athletics community, because there are some that were so close to Tom Jurich, and we're clearly well aware of how impactful he was. This is not and I'm not here to glaze Tom Jurich and gas him up because he doesn't need that. I'm just sharing the honest truth is this is a fact, not an opinion. The success that is going on currently with UL athletics and the success that will hopefully take place in the future, a lot of that is because of the foundation that was set by Tom Jurich. And now, as we speak here at five thirty eight on June eighteenth, and we are just hours away from the Louislle baseball team playing once again in the College World Series, there is a lot of really good energy right now, more so that I can than I can remember in a long time. I mean, you've got so much good energy with Pat Kelsey, You've got Jeff wall still having the women's program in such a great place, and obviously how about Dan McDonald now in the final four in college baseball, and of course with football, you're clearly ahead of schedule with Jeff Brom, and you could have unlimited money and not be able to pay somebody that can give you what Jeff Brom gives you because Jeff Brom is one of us we don't have to worry about. Does he understand the job? Is he cool that we play on Friday nights? No, he's This is a I mean, the Brom DNA in Louisville football DNA are kind of one and the same. So to do this when there's really good energy and to have such good leadership from Josh Hurd right now and him not in any way be bothered or threatened by this, and I don't I don't think. I don't know why anybody would ever assume that he would. But let's be honest. Some of this, some of this back and forth, there've been some administrative there's been some administrative things that have happened with you have athletics where there is a little bit of a cattiness and a competitiveness as far as who's getting credit the previous regime, you know, current regime, all that kind of stuff. So h and by the way, for those who don't know, Josh worked under Tom initially when he was first here at.
Speaker 3: U of L.
Speaker 1: So I think this is this is this is a win win because if there were people that were maybe hesitant to be as supportive of u of L, or maybe they were hesitant to support financially u of L because of the Tom Jurich departure and how messy that got at the end. This can only help that, and I'm happy that Tom's agreed to do it and he's going to be here. I think you know as far as what this means for like the future of you OFL athletics when it comes to success, I don't know, but this, to me, this is perfect timing. And regardless of your thoughts on Jurich, I'm not here to try to change your opinion of him, but I think it'd be hard to imagine in one hundred years we look back and say there was anybody as impactful for the universities athletic department than Tom Jerrich.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the social media chatter.
Speaker 4: I looked at that after your interview with the mayor and there is nothing but it was overwhelmingly positive for Tom Juriche. There will always be distractors, but yeah, I think you're spot on it. It's perfect timing. The vibe is good as the cherry on top for Louisville. If you're a U of L fan, you're certainly excited.
Speaker 3: No doubt hanging in.
Speaker 1: The vibes are good, and the vibes are good with us here Kentucky and it is morning News. We've got Rory O'Neil. He is a vibe enhancement if I've ever seen one. Rory's going to join us coming up on the other side to give us the latest on are we going to war? Why was there a quick reversal of the of the ice raid policy? As far as who they're targeting. We'll see what Rory can tell us. On the other side. It's Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas five forty five. Here Kentucky and it is Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee with you, and I am now joined by Rory O'Neill of NBC News. So we have seen a reversal here on the brief pause that was out there for a few days roughly on the ice raids that were targeting illegal immigrants and work places like farms, hotels. So now we are back to the aggressive enforcement. Do we know, Rory, what led to a quick change, Well.
Speaker 2: You know it was last week when President Trump, I think it was on truth Socials said, Okay, I've been talking to some of my friends in agriculture and in the hospitality industry. I recognize that these ICE raids have been disruptive for you. So he sort of just mentioned stuff online that maybe they'd be taking their foot off the gas pedal. But on Monday, the Department of Homeland Security clarified things and said, nope, we are proceeding full bore just as before, to continue these enforcement operations regardless of where they may happen, So there will be no special treatment for the hospitality and agriculture industries.
Speaker 1: I mean, this certainly seems as if there's the priority is immigration enforcement over economic concerns. Clearly, the decision last week to no longer pursue illegal immigrants in those industries made it seem as if there was awareness that, yes, we do as a country in certain industries heavily rely upon migrant workers, and this is going to impact the economy. Right. I don't see a scenario where, if in fact, they are successful, meaning ICE, in really enforcing this to the extent they want to, I'd be shocked if we don't see an impact on the economy.
Speaker 2: Well, look, there is this generally accepted wink in a nod, right, like, Okay, well, well sort of let you stay if you're the one picking the tomatoes and doing the dishes and processing the meat at the poultry plant, right, we sort of that's sort of the tacit agreement. But we're going to be more aggressive. Of course, if you break any laws, then we're going to come after. But if you quote unquote behave and do the jobs that Americans don't want to do, well, we'll turn to blind eye to the situation. Problem is so many economies have become dependent on that, in the construction industry, in agriculture, in hospitality, and this can be disruptive when you then scare people who now won't step forward to take up those day labor jobs or things like that. You're right, it really can have a significantly negative impact on the economy.
Speaker 1: ICE reports that seventy three percent of recent arrests target immigrants with criminal records. That of course challenges the narrative that's out there that raids only hit non criminals. Do we have any idea if that has been to me, that seems like, if that data is in fact legitimate, that to me seems like a good sign that they are, in fact really targeting people who, for the most part, that are not only here legally, but are criminals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read carefully into how that was worded, because what we also got was a report last week that showed that since October of last year, I think through March of this year, about ten percent of the people actually taken into custody had criminal convictions. So it's so maybe that's who the raids are going after, that's their intent, and they're getting seventy three percent, but when they have a general swing, maybe it's only ten percent. It's tough to look at what the specific data is. You know, how they can be with sumers. Oh yeah, but I think the general consensus is, look, if you're a criminal, every American wants police to arrest them, right regardless of their immigration status. If they're breaking you know, if they're a criminal and they're hurting people, absolutely arrest them. But I think there is and the administration has said we're going to focus on the rapists and the murderers. But when it comes down to wait a minute, that the daycare worker was the one swept in the rain, but I like hers. She takes care of my daughter. You know that's a very different kind of it hits home in a very different way.
Speaker 1: Rory. I'm still relatively new in this position, and I'm learning a lot. And one thing I've learned in a major way is that it's tough to know what's true. I now know for sure just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean that it is true. There are a lot of you know, respected outlets that I have a tough time knowing which one is necessarily giving us the most truth. But I'm sure you're used to that.
Speaker 2: You just have to read what's there careful, Wait a minute, what does that really say? Look, baseball stats are pretty black and white or you know, and that's those are easier to understand some of this political stuff. You know, no one's really spinning. Baseball stats or football stats are.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, they are what they are, right.
Speaker 2: That's right, they are there. But when it comes to politics, oh boy.
Speaker 1: I think I had some awareness of that going in, but man, it has been really evident in these last few weeks, and I don't I don't expect that it'll change anytime some Rory o'nail is our guests from NBC News, just.
Speaker 3: Like the audience, you're just like the audience. That's the great part.
Speaker 1: So real quick. There's a new study that is out on both the best and worst run cities in the United States. What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the best run city in the country, according to wallet hub is Provo, Utah. They looked at the quality of the service and then the total budget per capita. So Provo Utah comes in at tops Nampa, Idaho, which I think you only heard of the town during last year's survey at Manchester and New Hampshire are also in the top three, coming in on the Big five. Oh, out of one hundred and forty eight cities. Louisville, Kentucky comes in at number fifty.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I mean it could be worse, right.
Speaker 3: Top third. Yeah, that's those of those numbers for you.
Speaker 1: Top third better than being in the bottom third, that's for sure. Rory, appreciate the time as always. Enjoyed the rest of your day, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thanks, talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Rory on Neal NBC News. Let's get an update on traffic and weather and another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news Radio eight forty whas