Speaker 3: Welcome back everyone.
Speaker 1: Today we're discussing Ireland, specifically why is Ireland So left Wing? I'm Ryan, I'm joined by a real life irishman, Keith Woods. You wrote an essay a couple of months ago called why is Ireland So left Wing? It was published in Chronicles magazine. It's also appearing in your new book Ethno Politics. So, first of all, what inspired you to write this essay?
Speaker 2: Well, it's clearly a topic that interests a lot of people. I think if you follow the discourse among the distant right, it's often a topic of discussion. People will say, how could Ireland fight so long for its independence? And I have this robust nationalist movement to the point of militancy and then embraced liberalism. And it's a demographic ration sure, so much in the twenty first century. And there's also I think a lot of bad explanations that it's all because her Worldism and you know, things that happened with hin Fein or something in the IRA you know, it's funny sometimes like Irish nationalist from America on this. If you look at the discourse on x it seems like a lot of like American conservative posters seem to think that the IRA like took control of Ireland in the nineties and have been in government since. This is weird thing of like, they're like, why why would the IRA do this? Why would Hin Finn do this? And Christian Finn has never been in government in the South. But also there is something anomalous about Ireland's leftism. You know, Ireland has the highest proportion of members of European Parliament in the leftist bloc in the European Parliament. It had a very left wing labor president until recently, Michael D. Higgins, who often made news for quite left to statements he would make about you know, capitalism, climate change, foreign conflicts and so on. And his successor is also a former labor politician, equally left wing. There's no populous nationalist party with a seed in our national Parliament. To doll And, Ireland is quite unique in Europe in the lack of emergence of a strong populist right. You know, you look at Germany and it has a FD which is in recent opinion polls the most popular party in Germany. Even in Britain now you see Reform which obviously we don't consider them nationalists but they have a populous vote and now the emergence of restore Jega and Portugal so on. You can always find these examples. In Ireland, there hasn't been a breakthrough. You know, the National Party exists, other groups exist, but you know, the vote share hasn't been there on a national level. Ireland's the most pro Palestine country in Europe. I think that's indisputable. Now, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, right to sympathize with the Palestinian cause as well, but clearly it's a reflection that politics are a bit different in Ireland. The interesting fact is that technically we've never had a leftist government, you know, ideologically leftist party explicitly has never been in government, and so it's much more down to the shift of the ideological consensus so far leftward with the existing formerly centrist parties and power. So I think it's actually an interesting question to examine. When you don't have a strong political left, you know, to sweep in in a huge election and implement all these changes, how can things move so leftward? And I think it reflects a lot about how modern liberal managerialism functions.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's examine that fasis. Obviously, Ireland has been invaded for many centuries, first the Vikings, then various entities from England and Scotland, and it does seem to have this kind of you know, siege mentality, you know, Ireland against the invaders. How much does that play into the national psyche, you know, culturally, politically, and how far does it go to explain you know, a third world it's attitude or you know, something like standing up for Palestine or other victims of colonialism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely a factor.
Speaker 2: I mean, even the during a parathoid in South Africa, there was a big kind of workers strike organized by these workers in a department store in Ireland that became quite famous. And yeah, those kinds of internationalist issues have always struck more of record in Ireland. And yeah, I mean to a large degree in the modern world, that does feed into leftist narratives about you know, oppress or oppressed and feeling this kind of you know brotherhood fraternity with other oppressed nations. It does lend itself to your kind of slave moralism narrative. But I don't think that's as decisive as as some people make out. I mean people focus specifically on shin Fain and say, you know, this is a result of Irish nationalism, this is a result of Irish republicanism. But it's important to remember one, as I said, that Hinfain has never been in power in the South, but also that the establishment parties have established a kind of cordon sanitaire around Hinfain, and for a long time there's been very negative attitudes about hin Fain, about the IRA, about the arms struggle in the North of Ireland. You know, when Hinfein ran candidates in the South in the eighties and nineties, you know, they were getting like under two percent of the vote, and because of the troubles in the North, because of the conflict there, it did lead to a re examining of Ireland's militant nationalist history. Even as far back as the nineteen sixties, you know, you had influential history professors and places like Trinity College Dublin that began to take a more critical stance on Ireland's history revolutionary politics. Even at the fiftieth anniversary of the East Horizon in nineteen sixty six, there was you know, there was kind of an established taboo against commemorating it too much because of the violence aspect, and for a long time, someone like Poorik Pierce, who was kind of the father of that particular revolution, was kind of brushed aside because it was seen that this is someone that aren't militants in the North. Invoke this is kind of a stain on Ireland's reputation, the fact that we're in this peaceful internationalist order now and there's this black spot of violence in the North and that actually really affected people's psyche in the south. There's a great writer, Desmond Fennel, who wrote about these changes when they were happening in the sixties and beyond, and he talked about this, how much the shame of the conflict happening in the North and that this was being done in the name of Irish nationalism, how much this led the elite in Ireland to do a kind of revisionist history to you know, try and move away from the politics of the gun. I mean, you have a for t Shook of Ireland. A former leader of Finegael wrote an opinion piece and I think it was The Irish Independent a few years ago, sin the rising, the War of Independence were a mistake. This should have been done peacefully, so these revisionist attitudes became more popular among the elite. And you know, it's in so far as as that kind of bourgeois mentality has become dominant in Ireland, that is what brought about the changes with the embrace of the European Union, cosmopolitanism, more open immigration system, shinfen.
Speaker 3: As they've entered.
Speaker 2: Establishment politics and moved closer to government, they have adopted more and more this kind of social democratic, left wing politics. But you know, it was never the militant nationalism that was pushing people towards what we have now. It was much more a European wide, Western wide ideology of liberal pluralism, cosmopolitanism, this kind of neoliberal economic model. It was the very cohesive, homogeneous elite of Ireland that were embracing these European liberal ideas and somewhat imposing it on the rest of the country. And so far as people did have an attachment to that more militant, backward looking republicanism, those are people that tended to be more socially conservative. I would say that, you know, would tend to have more nationalist instincts as a concerns immigration, and even see that today if you look at the Poland, of which voters are a post immigration, you still find shin Fan voters are the ones most to post immigration, even though it's it's obviously a leftist party that that supports these mass migration policies. So you know, that story of Third world isn't kind of infect in the country. It's like, you know, Ireland still allows the US to run rendition flights through through Shannon Airport, and even even during the Iraq War, you know, this was something that was disgusted. There was potentially people being transported to Guantanamo Bay or torture, and we're supposedly a neutral country. They used our airports to stop and refuel and it aided in their invasion of Iraq. So you know, our government certainly never had these kind of third worldist attitudes. But yeah, I mean to a degree, yes, the you know, the kind of underdog politic and you know, this kind of anti colonialism that does breed into toward worldism. It is somewhat part of the culture.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: My first experience with Ireland was through a much loved comedy called Father Ted, which is you know, basically a parody of Catholic priests in Ireland. You know, on a little little Ireland and that was at a time that I was being raised as a Catholic child. So how much does this post Catholic attitude is kind of sneering at the priests and the old fashioned Irish grandmothers play into again the national psyche, the culture kind of retaining these egalitarian values, you know, welcome in the immigrant, the good Samaritan. How much does that play in these days? And has there been a revision of these values into something similar but more amenable to you know, this modern liberal order.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a meme on Gail Twitter, Irish Twitter of this archetype in Ireland of the Derek, which is like the you know, boomer centrist, fine gael voting liberal lives in Dublin, Uns a couple of houses, and people will attach quotes to this image. Very typical, like kind of middle class looking Irish guy and it's all about how he grew up in devil Era's slave Island, you know, where the Catholic bishop's rule that this was like a papist theocracy. You know, there were mass graves of babies buried in women and children's homes. Child abuse was rampant, it was like the Handmaid's Tale in terms of the enforcement of sexual morality. They was a backwater all this kind of thing. So there has been this mythos constructed of this deeply dark, stagnant leak period in Irish history post independence, where you know, basically the Catholic Church and conservative politicians ruled, a lot of people were emigrating, there was very little economic growth, and yeah, the economic aspect of that story, there's a lot of truth to it, but yeah, the liberal elite has constructed this, you know, this big danger of the backwards look in Ireland that they're at war with and they can still kind of paint themselves as the underdog that you know, we kind of liberated ourselves from this in our lifetime and they're still backward looking people that would want to take us back to this. And you know, this kind of you could say, like upper middle class centrists. They're super proud of things like the referenda that Arish people have voted majority on these liberal issues, and they're super proud about European assets and the economic growth Ireland has had and so on, and that is kind of typical of the elite, the state class. As Desbon Fennel would have called it that that really dominates Ireland. And this is an important aspect is although Ireland is a mostly rural country, about forty percent of the population are in the greater Dublin area. And if you look at the concentration of media, banking, the civil service, it's really heavily, heavily centralized in Dublin and in other countries, I mean they're always you know, you look at somewhere like France, they're deep regional differences. They're like, you know, there are blocks of maybe Catholic influence, farmer influence, these kinds of blocks that can create political coalitions, a lot of those things. You know, in Ireland it's like the farmer income is so tied to European Union cap policy. Again, all of the media, civil service, it's it's really one area of kind of South Dublin, the leafy suburbs D four is used in conjunction with this, the state class a particular particularly wealthy area of Dublin. And yeah, these are people that tell themselves a certain story about the history of Ireland. Esmond Fennel had a book titled Nice People and Rednecks, and it was to represent the way that they see the world that they're the nice people, the friendly, liberal, cosmopolitan, welcoming people that live in the city that you know, they go to the same schools, they drop their kids at the same schools, they work in the same offices. Oftentimes they're they're kind of lifers in the system. They transfer from the civil service to banking, to advisory roles to whatever else. And then they have this picture that you know, outside there are these backward looking rural lites, rednecks.
Speaker 3: You know, they take.
Speaker 2: Their morality unquestioningly from the Catholic Church. They resisted all of the things that brought us prosperity, the European Union, the euro global trade and so on, and so they always tell the story of them being at war with this this larger, backward looking system, and they can there's still very much, I think, see themselves as kind of an underdog. You know that you have these forces of trumpsm and Brexit and the Catholic Church, and these are the this is the brave, forward looking generation that that overcame all that mid Ireland, the pluralist, open, outward looking place.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about that antagonism between you know, this emerging technocracy in Dublin, which you know has forty percent of the population versus rural island. So that's as I understand, something that's come about mainly in the last thirty years. It was really the emergence of the Celtic Tiger economy preparation for joining the EU and the Euro. Of course, the corporate tax rate was cut to twelve point five percent, and Ireland has been you know, this hub of especially tech companies, biotech. I think Apple do a lot of business there, Google, these huge companies, And I was looking at the statistics of government government revenue before preparing for the show, and the government revenue in nineteen ninety five was fourteen billion euro and this year it will be I think one hundred and seven billion euro. So clearly the state has just grown massively seven x in thirty years. If you can explain your thesis of how the Irish political systems kind of molded into this Uni party and managed the growth of this economy which is kind of offshore but highly integrate to EU economy, Yeah, well, like I said, I.
Speaker 2: Think the key is how homogeneous the state classes. And I think there's something with Irish history and Irish politics that there is a kind of I don't know if i'd call it a conformity, but you know, there's almost like the there's a certain clannishness to Irish people. I think that that makes them less willing to challenge consensus within small groups. And yeah, I mean I think for a long time the Irish elite were already way ahead of the population in terms of their liberalism and openness and holding the values that are commonly held now. But they had this population that was resistant, that was Catholic, that was nationalists, commonly held beliefs. So it was really a long process. But if you look back, you can see that you go right back, and you know, you have people like Connor Cruz O'Brien, who was very influential Labor Party pole politician. He implemented the rules that you couldn't have representatives of the IRA, their voice couldn't be heard on television seat of actors like repeating praises from Jerry Adams, and he intros really strict censorship laws. And again he's someone that basically repudiated the nationalist tradition. But you have a lot of these figures there were you know, there was a lot of Anglo Irish figures that retained influence after independence, but it's more generally a mindset of of again an upper middle class, kind of mercantile elite in the in the city, and the degree of media control allowed them very much to bring the population with them. You know, there's a state broadcaster or a certain perspective. For a long time, that's that's what Irish people were limited to. And so it was a process of liberalization. Sometimes people will look at you know, oh, the corporations came and they must have made Ireland liberal, and it's like, you know, you could look at you know, Facebook donates money to leftist NGOs, But none of this is very causative, right, These corporations set money aside for some of these projects and you know what's there they donate to. But it's it's like by the time that was happening, the country had already moved very leftward. It was already on the course that was said, an embrace of global capital financialization. You've the opening of the Irish Financial Services Center that's meant to attract financial services similar to the City of London. Like you said, there's the low corporation tax. There's also a number of loopholes that essentially allowed corporations to dodge tax almost completely. And the joining of the European Union is usually beneficial economically. We get this huge export market. Ireland's and English speaking country. It's highly educated because of investments that were made in public education, and so it becomes this very attractive place for companies to set up pharmaceutical companies. But increasingly in recent years tech company. Right, all of these companies like Facebook and PayPal have head offices in Dublin, and so at the same time you have a population becoming more acclimatized to this liberal vision of the state class, you have huge revolutionary economic growth coming through a vision that that really matches their perspective on things, you know, European integration, global trade, you know, this import export model with a lack of tariffs, highly educated, bluid population that can serve a number of functions for these corporations, and so this really fits with their new global vision of things. And Ireland remains one of the most pro EU countries in Europe. And I mean it's to my mind, it's simply because of the enormous economic growth that did bring so it really bolstered their vision of things, and it does obviously make it a lot more difficult for some kind of populous force to tap into a lot of angster on that, just because Irish people that live through that have observed a huge change in the standard of their living in a short period of time. Now there's a young population who don't experience that and who through various means, are locked out of it. Most obviously the housing problem. But if you're a boomer in Ireland, I mean, you know, there are boomers that grew up in houses without running water and now they own they owned two homes and a holiday home, and they've watched the value of their house, you know, twenty twenty x and full employment, economic growth every year exceeding expectations. Like for a certain segments of the population, things have never been better, and that's the group that really dominates Irish politics.
Speaker 3: The people that feel left out of.
Speaker 2: That broadly are kind of on the margins and not as influential politically.
Speaker 1: And that economic growth has been quite remarkable. Obviously, you know, there are a lot of well paid jobs associated with these new tech sectors, but importantly, the asset growth has been ridiculous. I was looking at a real estate in Dublin a couple of years ago and I saw this. I think it was a six hundred foot Dockers cottage in Dublin, just outside Dublin, and it was something like over six hundred thousand euro, more expensive than most parts of London. And that's something that's really been harming the Irish youth. You know, many not able to afford to buy a home. I think there was statistic that forty of eighteen to thirty four year olds live in their childhood bedroom with their parents. Many have decided to move abroad because they don't see a future in Ireland.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The boomers have done very well out of this, and you know economically, so you know, do they have a stranglehold on you know, the democratic system and this Uni party that's emerged.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I've written before about the gerontocracy and the boomer domination of the economy and if Ireland is like the liberal managerial state power excellence, it's also the Western gerontocratic state power excellence. There's a statistic I think seventy percent of household wealth in Ireland is tied up in the value of houses and this for a long time actually fueled the economy. I mean during the Celtic Tiger when we had a normous economic growth, it was also a massive property bubble. At one point, I think almost a fifth of GDP was just coming from the property market, and that contributed to the massive collapse that came when there was a global financial crisis. That's why Ireland was especially hit hard. But yeah, boomers bought houses in the nineteen ninety some of them, and in ten fifteen years their houses were worth four or five x. So again, this is something we talk about. We've talked about a bit on the show and other episodes, but this problem of land value and this just clearly unfair wealth transfer, where the collective productivity and work of the working population creates an overall increase in value and that eventually gets funneled into land value and into unproductive asset holders. And Ireland was the ultimate example of that because you had a growth in the nineteen nineties that was driven by really solid economic fundamentals. You know, we had a very educated population, we invested in publicly funded secondary level third level education, we had this integrated economy. We were heavily ex sporting. We had our own native industry, but again it was heavily funneled into speculation and government. Successive governments played into that. They slashed taxes on property as far back as the nineteen seventies. Rates on dwellings that used to be used to fund local governance were abolished, and so the entire taxation system was geared towards people hoarding assets, specifically housing as a means to get rich quick. And this was very common during the Celtic Targraph for people to begin owning two tree homes. Policies like mortgage interest relief encouraging people to take second, third houses. And now you have this massively lopsided economy where you have an older generation that benefited from low prices, full employment, new builds, public housing that was being made available, taxes geared towards encouraging speculation and property. When you have a generation out that can't enter the property market and are emigrating at massive rates. You name that figure about people living at home that puts Ireland on power with countries in the Balkans and Southern Europe. You know that's unheard of for Northern European countries, and of course when this came crashing down in two thousand and eight and we were so highly leveraged with a bubble in the property market, political decisions were made that again protected boomers, protected the older class of asset holders above everyone else. You know, Ireland suffered so badly because of an absolutely disastrous economic policy to guarantee all banking deposits in the banking system. This was seen as a problem that these banks were potentially insolvent. There was fears about a run on the banks, a loss of confidence, and so government's made a political decision to guarantee all of the bad debt that these banks held, and that led to a disaster in public finances. Anglo Irish Bank, which was heavily tied up with property speculation, went bust, was nationalized. The public deficit became so large that we took this Triika bailout so called, from the imf EU, the ECB and then throughout that you had years of austerity and really difficult times economically. But the class that was always protected was the old and was asset holders. So one example, one of the first policies they did in trying to close this budget deficit was taken away universal free healthcare from the elderly, so we have medical cards where certain people that are below an income threshold can receive free healthcare. If you're over the age of sixty five, everyone receives that. So one of the first things the government did part of their austerity programs was to means test some of these universal benefits. Well, of course, as soon as they came for the boomers with massive protests like Arland had never seen before a huge collapse in support for government because boomers are the largest voting demographic, and it was quickly reversed and from that point forward we had years of austerity where it was things like income tax increases, a universal Social charge which was a new income tax, took us up to the point where Ireland is the third highest country in the OECD for income tax and the average earner. Cuts to public spending. But overwhelmingly boomers, the retired, the old wealthy, acid owners were protected and working middle class people, younger people that would have been trying to get on the housing letter and start the family were heavily targeted by the austerity program and as we mentioned before, it was a huge collapse in the birth rate from about twenty ten onwards as well, from above replacement to now well below replacement. But you know, because of the decisions taken by governments to protect the banking system and the confidence in the banking system and asset holders above all else, property prices pretty quickly re covered just up to twenty thirteen they were pre crash levels, and since then they've exploded and there at record hies again. So the older boomer kind of Celtic Tiger generation that availed of cheap housing, free education, full employment, investment in an economic model that worked. They were protected through the austerity it fell on younger working people, and then they got the public benefit of once we had a new economic growth model that was heavily focused on export growth and just GDP growth generally, which came alongside the mass immigration and flexible labor market. They've benefited through that.
Speaker 3: All the way.
Speaker 2: They were protected from the austerity it fell on the younger They had universal benefits protected that younger people don't. And then the growth very quickly appreciated into asset growth and specifically land and property, and they've seen their wealth go massively up since then. And then at the same time. You know, we again talked about this before, the need for a land value tax. People are seeing multiple axes of their wealth without doing anything productive. Productive people had to pay for all of this austerity for years and then when people try and buy a house, that's the point we tax, right, we tax through stamp duty the transaction of buying a new home. But of course if you just sit on your property for twenty years and you know you can go off living in another country, do nothing, never look at it, never improve it, never rent it out. While we have a house in crisis and you just watch your wealth go up and up. So it's a totally broken system and the voting dynamics of mass democracy. This is true across the West and force this because if you look at Ireland to tie this back to well, why is Ireland so left wing or why does Ireland continue to elect these governments that take these disaster of policies. Where now we have a country with the highest percentage I think the highest migrant percentage in Europe right now is in Ireland. And you know, if we want to just tie back to numbers, I mean for two three years there consecutively after COVID we're increasing our population by three to three and a half percent per year just through inward migration, over one hundred, one hundred and fifty thousand people a year. Which break it down by percentage wise, I think it's it's the highest in the world, up there with with Canada. So it's absolutely staggering numbers. And again, what does that translate into. Well, it's it's you know, it's it's lower wages for lower paid, lower skilled workers. But it's more bodies, it's more consumer spending, it's more taxation, it's more competition for housing, for assets, and you know, again you trace it back and what it translates to. It it trickles up into the asset holders and into unearned gains for people that own property, which is a benefit that was given to the older generation that they could freely enter that market. But why this isn't forced politically is if you break it down, you know, at the last election again and everyone was kind of hoping for his populist ups well and again the establishment parties were in supreme but you look at who's voting and in the age cohort, over fifty five ninety percent of eligible voters vote and you go down to under thirty fives and it's about thirty percent. So yeah, so young people are alienated, they're not happy with things. I'll give you another Sagarin statistic, twenty five to thirty nine year olds in Ireland. Ninety three percent of them don't down at home.
Speaker 3: It's it's intill thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty five to thirty nine. So this is a generation that's just completely locked out. Like I said, birthrate collapsed, mass emigration paid for the austerity a lot of them during the crash years, then saw no real benefit. You know, the income taxes have basically remained the same, the emergency income tax that brought. Instead we taxed, we taxed labor and capital because this is the model we follow where we leave land value alone, so we let all the wealth trickle into land values. But yeah, boomers go out and vote, and every election is basically a referendum where you have these two dinosaur old centrist parties of Finegel and Pheno Fall, and the choice for boomers is basically you have the Progressive Center. This is just block of these two parties that used to be separate but now are basically a uni party. And then you have like a smattering of leftists and you know, some kind of fringe populist parties, and so for them, it's basically a choice of do you want the stability of the progressive center that brought EU integration and economic growth and you know, all of the things that they've benefited from, or do you want the chaos of leftist government probably led by Shin Fein. And so most boomers vote for stability over chaos, and that's basically the story of every Irish election.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean in terms of well, why why is there no great backlash against this? And this is something I think populous miss a lot of the time. You know, we want to tap into, you know, boomer rage at the you know, at the progressive liberals and so on. But I mean for a generation of Irish people, they've never had it so good and things have never been better. I think people forget this and they're analysis sometimes they're looking at it from the perspective of a young guy that's that's trying to make his way. But it's like, put yourself in the shoes of boomers that have lived through this and have have asset Welton are just watching it explode every year.
Speaker 3: It sounds incredibly similar to the UK.
Speaker 1: These boomers think they are financial geniuses for buying real estate before the mid nineties. You know, the values grown six hundred percent in thirty years or something like that. And really the only millennials that are buying property are being gifted money by their by their boom of parents. They are really the only people that are in a position to to start families and own their own home and everything like that.
Speaker 2: Well that's the other thing is, you know, when we had this crisis that was driven by property speculation, and it was boomers buying a second and third home and sometimes you know, people would be telling these stories about like the you know, their postman that owned a third home in Bulgaria. It was just insane level. It's literally like the big short Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, and the banks were hugely at fault. They were just lending to everybody. They were you know, I mean, people would tell stories like their banks were calling them up trying to encourage them to take another mortgage out while interest rates were so low, and you know, just going and speculating on the property market, so that this was really encouraged at every level, and then you know the stamp duty receipts and the VAT from the building boom and the job growth. This is what was funding the exchequer constant expanding, and government's been able to do these big giveaway budgets every year. That made the rule and party pheno falls so popular. So it was a ridiculous system. But then of course, when when the Troika comes in and you have all of this bad debt, you know, again those people are protected. There aren't great rite downs by the banking system. These people don't really take haircuts, and the government really keeps the banking system funded and solvent at the public expense until those asset prices recover. And then they kind of, you know, they make a true some very bad financial decisions. But then how does the government respond to you know, clearly we've you know, we've made mistakes here to create this large of a bubble. Well, what they do is they bring in rules that if you want a mortgage now you have to have fifteen percent in cash as a deposit before the bank will end to you. So again, rather than those people that were there speculators that were driving this taking a haircut and staid, what happens is people that haven't owned property, that have never been in the house.
Speaker 3: Now they have to have a much.
Speaker 2: Greater amount and savings to enter the house a market and so, yeah, who's going to have fifteen percent, right, it's you know, people with wealthy parents. I mean Leo Vradker when he was t shopped before even said this, he said, well, you know, people can ask for money from their parents if they want to get in the house, and letter, well, you know, not many people have that luxury. I mean I used to work in Dublin, like an entry level graduate job. You know, I worked with some people that were living with their parents while they were there in their mid twenties, you know, post third level education and everything, and you know that was kind of the plan, is like save up until basically you're around your thirties, and then at that point you'll have enough just for the deposit for your mortgage and then maybe you know this great aspirational dream you can have a mortgage by the time you're entering your thirties and then you can think about family information.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: So, you know, you want to talk about the birth right collapse, but there's why so many people are emigrating.
Speaker 1: I don't think this issue gets spoken about nearly enough. The banks just handing out as much leverage as these boomers want. They're buying the second third home. They may not even rent them out, they may just keep them as an empty property by the seaside holiday home type thing. And it's just insane the restrictions on the overall housing stock that a lot of these parties enforce. You know, the Conservative Party has not really made any effort to build houses in the UK. The boomers will vote them in, you know, generally, I mean the.
Speaker 3: Fourteen years in power.
Speaker 1: They've fallen out of favor now, but they had a good run, and all the while they were bringing in more and more migrants, which again pushes the prices up, and the boomers just turned the blind eye. They say, oh, you know, they do the hard jobs. They make the coffee, they deliver the food, and really, you know, the boomers, they don't they don't realize that they are pillaging the nation. Yeah, I don't think they're even really cognizant of it. They don't admit it that they were lucky to be born into such a nation. That nation develops and then they just pull the ladder up behind them, leave their children, grandchildren to you know, multi racial disaster, and they think they're so clever. It's just it's just tragic. And I think, you know, more and more young people are becoming discontented and just going radical left. We're seeing that in the UK now and that there are voting trends now that young Irish people are supporting Chimfain Social Democrats, which are far more left wing economically.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Again, it's a similar dynamic where like I said, you know, people get frustrated at elections, why did nationalists get more votes and so on? But for people for the television watching boomers, like your choices are Finnegael Phena Faal, the old centrist parties or this big smattering of leftist parties that we have a bunch of the Green Party, shin Fein, Social Democrats, Labor and so it's just a referendum on stability versus leftist chaos for them. And then for young people it's like the big issue is housing, wealth inequality as many of them would see it. And yeah, it's similar to the shift to the Green Party in the UK. Here in Ireland, the Green Party, it got wiped out a couple of times because it was a minority partner in unpopular government. But here, if you look at like Trinity College graduates, I think they're over fifty percent Social Democrats, which again is one of these leftists social democracy kind of Nordic socialist parties, but you know, super open borders, leftists on everything, just like you know, the kind of leftist vibes party. I think shin Fein is consistently the most popular party among young people. And again, you know, the left is tapping into that angst about a generation that's clearly been left behind, screwed over by this economic system. I mean, I don't think that their answers are very good for that. And again, no one wants to tackle this fundamental problem of the way this system is geared towards just transfer and welt towards landholders that can establish their own kind of monopoly and taxation system, you know, with all the focuses on income inequality and income taxes. But like I said, we have a very by international centers, a pretty egalitarian and a pretty tough taxation system for average earners. But you know, the burden always falls on the the younger entrepreneurial people. But yeah, I mean that's how most people see the system, and so it's very it's very difficult for right wing or nationalist populoust alternative to get a spot in that because you have an older edge court heart that maybe more socially conservative than you'll find with younger people. You know, perhaps there's a greater attachment to Catholicism among a segment of them, but they're they're just as conservative about these economic ideas, and then like young people are just you know, basically.
Speaker 3: Checked out of this system.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help, of course that the right in Ireland, the populist right, is just a totally disorganized kind of a mess. Really, I would say outside of the National Party, it's just I don't know if this is something about Irish politics, but you know, even there, actually, I mean I have to tie it back. I'm sorry boomers, but even there, I have to tie it back to hate non boomers because it's just one of these things like too many chiefs. Everyone wants to be chief of his little kingdom, and it's a lot of boomer narcissism.
Speaker 3: You know. There's a meme on among.
Speaker 2: Irish nationalists, you know, the the Lenny from the Simpsons. Like zero days since the boomer started a new political party, Like every week.
Speaker 3: There's a new one.
Speaker 2: There's an AI generated map of Ireland and it'll be called you know Era Freedom thirty two. It'll be called the Irish Restore Liberty Party. And you know they make their AI generated images of the you know Era woman with her cheeks painted with the Irish flags and a lion behind her, and they never go anywhere, and anytime you try and unite these people, it's constant in fighting.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess this is a problem that that plagues to ride in a lot of places, but especially in Ireland. There's just a narcissism and an individualism among the boomers that they're not willing to cooperate or get behind anything. And even with something like the National Party, you see the membership is very young and yeah, boomers just you know, for whatever reason, they can't seem to cooperate or to organize politically.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about that dynamic. You alluded to it earlier. You said Ireland is very clannish. I certainly agree with that. I was actually more bullish about Ireland's prospects in the past, because I thought it had such a tribal mentality that it would be able to launch a national vehicle to save itself. But now I actually think the opposite, that it's an impediment just because of the clannish nature of people it, you know, as you say, feels like a lot of chiefs. Irish culture is very based around you know, gossip and telling tales, and you know, there's always some personal conflict and I don't know if I would describe it as individual, I would describe it as you did earlier Clanish, where you know, it's very hard to achieve a wide enough to consensus to build anything meaningful, and you do get all these splits all the time, and you know there's some personal conflict or rava, and all the while you're shut out by the mainstream and you know, considered fringe. So you know, if you'd like to add to any of that idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely true. It's funny. I saw something recently.
Speaker 2: Alexis to Tokville, who is obviously famous for studying the United States. He visited Ireland and he wrote his reflections on it, and in the eighteen hundreds, and he noted that he said among the lower classes there was this extreme clannishness and tribalism where you know, one village would head another village, or you know, two groups would intersect and it would come to blows and they didn't seem to even remember why they hated each other. There's definitely an element of that and you see it in politics, especially with the way people vote. Again, this is something that's somewhat unique to Ireland is how much people will vote for you know, we have a national Parliament, but obviously you have the members for reports and in certain areas certain counties, similar to what you have in the UK, but much more what you have in Ireland is people voting for a politician because of what.
Speaker 3: They'll do for their specific area.
Speaker 2: So Kerry is kind of famous for this in Ireland that they have like you know, they have the Heally Ray Klan right and they've got two of their brothers in the doll. Their father before them was in the Doll and they're loyal to this family because their father could a deal with one of the coalition governments where he entered coalition on the promise that the coalition would build roads and community centers and so on and Kerry and so it's just kind of clientilism where people vote on the basis of, well, how much can this guy secure from my local area? Right that these national things immigration, levels of income tax, this stuff doesn't really register for a lot of people. It's about the individual and you can see this and tests on voting preferences how they decide. Sometimes it's just the personality of the guy, how well he's like locally, and in some sense, you know, you could say that could be an advantage, like we don't really have ideological politics. Maybe that's fertile ground for populace. But then on the other hand, it creates this kind of like I said, clientilism, where well, you don't have much to offer these people then if you're on the outside, right, whereas they're voting for people that they think will be members of government that can secure something for their area. So, even as Pheno fall and Finegael right, these are these parties that go right back to the Civil War and have led governments in Ireland. Every government has been in Ireland has been led by one of these parties since independence, right for a century, and even as people become alienated with their policies. Boomers still vote for them because oftentimes there was Civil war politics where you had your family voted for your Finnah Foal or Finagael based on which side of the Civil War your family were on. That was the case for a long time. Less so now, but even now, like there's loyalties there based on what politicians have done in the past. You know, this guy got this community center built, this party made sure our hospital wasn't closed. There's this kind of clientless thinking that makes it very difficult for outside populous forces to break in. And then if you talk about the older generation, especially in Ireland, you know you look at where they get their news an opinion from, and it's TV, newspapers, radio, And again I go back to the state class. It's just so heavily concentrated where you have people like a billionaire Dennis O'Brien who was recently interviewed I shared this clip. He was sending the number one challenge Ireland must deal with now is teaching people not to be racist and stamping out racism, because our future model should be based on bringing loads of Indians and Indian tech entrepreneurs here but it's like, you know, he owns news Talk, big private radio station. He's had controlling shares in the Majure newspaper in Ireland and the Rich Independent and Today FM kind of a more popular radio station. And you go down the list, but you know, there's like a couple of kind of non tabloid establishment papers that have the same line RT News RTE, the state broadcaster, and then one other kind of competing channel. Like it's a pretty narrow range of broadcasters and sometimes the same people working going between them. Again, coming from a very small area that you know, even just based on its geography, is necessarily going to be very ideologically aligned. It's hard to it's hard to have such strong differences like you see with like Republicans and Democrats, where you know, it's almost to the point of religious differences some of the fundamentals.
Speaker 3: They disagree on.
Speaker 2: It's hard to have that when the you know, whatever two sides of your political spectrum are all attending the same schools and colleges and you know, training the same programs and working in the same organizations and so yeah, Boomers, this is where they drive authority from. And so again, and for a populist movement to spring up. It's like, well, if you're not on television, if you're not in the papers, you don't really exist as a serious electoral alternatives.
Speaker 3: So it has.
Speaker 2: Created an extremely difficult circumstance for something populous to break through, even while you know, you look at it, there is clearly a kind of organic pushback. You see the protests against migrant centers and times were there just been kind of organic swells and uprisings. But in terms of translating and politically it's very difficult because the lack of organization and just you know, the personal failings of people involved, and the lack of willingness to unite behind someone and people to just stop wanting to be leader of their own things.
Speaker 3: Such a huge, huge problem, especially.
Speaker 2: With the the older people involved. But then also just the cordon sanitaire that this media class is established that makes alternatives unviable in the mind of most voters.
Speaker 1: I think that Irish classness is very much on show in Liverpool, England. It's essentially a city of Irish clans. They see themselves, you know, very much in opposition to Westminster, and they'll pretty much vote for anyone we're in a red rosette. But you know, in terms of that clannishness in South Dublin, you know you've spoken about dissenters being excluded from that social group, and if I can, you know, use another analogy from the UK is that the rothemir family who owned the Daily Mail, they supported Brexit and they were socially excluded by their aristocratic friends because of that position, and then they ended up changing their official position and moving back for you know, social reasons. And you know a lot of people forget that we are social creatures. We do have allegiances to you know, our social lives as well as you know, broader politics. So yeah, that's that's something people forget. But is is there anything else you'd like to say on on you know that that South Dublin clique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that's what needs to be understood is you know, fundamentally, you know, this is the problem in the whole West really is is white middle class people have this extreme status consciousness where you know, it's it's not about having your status doesn't come from seawan Welt or anything like that, but it's it's really about having the right opinions and there's a certain kind of aspirational, kind of upper middle class type, and especially the kind of people that that fill the bureaucratic managerial roles that is just so sensitive to that. And for the reasons we've discussed, for economic reasons, for the detirement of of when Ireland began to grow and experienced prosperity, for the history and the unease about elements of Ireland's past and the conflict in the North and so on, a lot of those things converged on the kind of aspirational and respectable position being this heavily pro European, liberal, cosmopolitan, anti nationalist view. And you know, that is the perspective that is driving and has driven what you'd call the elite human capital, the university graduates, the civil servants, the bankers, the more influential journalists. I think that's what you need to understand ultimately, is you know, you can have a history of social conservatism and nationalism, but eventually, if you have an elite that controls the means of disseminating information, eventually they can drag the country with them. And it actually doesn't take a lot to understand who the people were that did that. In Ireland and what was driving them and their motivations and their mindset. And that's really what it comes down to. And in so far as Ireland has embraced this new multi racial leftist liberal pluralist consensus more than other countries, it's precisely because of that, because that managerial liberal elite was so powerful in Ireland.
Speaker 1: I think we'll leave it there. Very thorough explanation into the mentality of Ireland and boomers and some economics. It often gets overlooked, but the essays available on Chronicles magazine and in my new book and in the new book Ethnopolitics, available on Amazon. But yeah, thank you and see you again next time.