Speaker 1: Rogan to Rodney AM five to seventy LA Sports. You know you can always listen to us as well. On the iHeartRadio app. Ben Maller Jonas knocks in for the guys here on a Tuesday, it is MLB trade deadline day. And if you're wondering when is the big blockbuster move for the Los Angeles Dodgers. When are the Dodgers gonna make the move? Don't worry you are not alone. We're also wondering the same thing as well too, because Ben Mallor, this has been a pretty slow MLB trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Now, well we just we did have trade. The Mets have acquired the great Paul Blackburn, hey by athletics. That's big. You mentioned that trade the Royals made earlier. For who they get again, Paul DeJong so and in the White Sox are playing the Royals, so he just gets to go across the stadium there. The Dodgers at this point are negotiating with crickets. I believe that they have not there's nothing here, but they still have a little less than two hours to go right right when we get done and pass the baton to the great Petrols and Money Show, they will end, music stop, musical chairs end, and so there's still time. There's a bunch of relief pictures I've never heard of who have, Like the Marlins are unloading their entire bullpen, the trading relief pitchers here, there, and everywhere. The athletics, like the real bottom feeding teams are trading away pitchers right and left. But I have not seen anyone with name brand value that has been traded today. Yes I missed it.
Speaker 3: I remember the great JC Charguas, who was in the Dodger bullpen some years ago, traded Marlins the Mariners.
Speaker 2: Come on, oh there you go. How did I forget that one? I can't believe. Yeah, all right, that's an example. That's what we're getting today. So you know, I met Rosario. That was the deal that was done last night. I'd also like to point this out. Do the Rays have enough people at this point to feel the team like it feels like the Tampa Bay Raves have traded away everybody within the vicinity any of their organization, Like, I don't know what the plan is there. And didn't they just announce they're building a new stadium they did so your years down the line, Well, they're building a stadium, and people in baseball. I've talked to people around over the years. They love the Rays because they can do whatever they want. It's like Frankenstein's laboratory. They can trade any player. They don't because they have no fan base, so they're not they're not beholden to the fan base. Like who's gonna call up and complain because you trade it away. It's like when you're a Raised fan. It's like being a fan of a college football team because the players are there for four years and then they go to somewhere else and then you bring in new players, new recruits and all that stuff. I was pretty it's the same thing and like four years and you're out. That's it.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about this, when's the last time you saw anybody wearing a Raise jersey?
Speaker 2: Like, like, like when the last time I saw I can tell you who. I was a guy named rich Area who worked in the early days at Fox Sports Radio and the Olderson. I know that because he worked on the Rays radio broadcast. And I actually I told the story why about he. I went out and saw him when they came in to play the Angels in Anaheim, and he gave me like this bag full of Tampa Bay raysed merchandise, which I still have if you want it. I haven't opened it. But that's the only guy that I ever saw where race though, like years ago.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking, like I can't recall ever seeing somebody walk around in like an Evan Longoria jersey, Like I just don't recall it happening like ever in my entire life. I can remember a buddy of mine who's a diehard Pirates fan, and I was in Pittsburgh and you know, this was at the point where they were trading like Nate mclouth like they were like they were just unloading every bicle year. Yeah, And so I remember I met this this sporting good store in Pittsburgh and I'm like, hey, man, you know they got a bunch of Pirates jerseys here. Do you want me to bring some back? So I start reading off the names of like all the available players that had jerseys there at this store, and he's.
Speaker 2: Like, no, not him, not him.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, what about Zach Duke And he says, oh, yeah, you know what, I actually think he's gonna be with them for a while, maybe a year. Got the jersey and he was gone. So it is unfortunate to see teams like the Pirates, the Raised all the Pirates feel a little bit better about things with some of the talent they have that are making deals here. And meanwhile, you know the Dodgers, Tommy Edmund, Michael Kopek, Med Rosario. That's the moves that we've got thus far for the beloved Dodgers at the trade deadline, when everybody's looking around, going are they going to make a move? We need some help. Even Dave Roberts feels like he's saying, you know, we could use some help here.
Speaker 2: Well, another trade that came down. How about this ex Dodger Caleb Ferguson, who I think has an era north of five for the Yankees this year. No longer with the Yankees. He has been traded to the cheating a stros Right, So there you go, Caleb Ferguson going to Houston. Does that get you excited? Not really.
Speaker 1: I do wonder though, if some of these guys are happy to be traded away from the Yankees because they can finally grow out facial hair, Like, do they look at it and go, oh, thank god.
Speaker 2: Beer, you get all this shoveled and all that, and the Yankees trying to trade ex Dodger Alex Rdugo supposedly, who wouldn't want a two thirty eight hitting Alex Rdugo. Come on, you can get him right now if you want him, he's available, bring him back to the Dodgers. Come on, that was the price. Do you believe the Red Sox? What suckers? The Red Sox are? The Dodgers trade That was the prize of the trade to get Mookie Betts. Yeah, they traded Alex Rdugo essentially in a couple of other you know. Second, that's got to be in the conversation for one of the worst deals of all time. Like Mookie Betts, say, first ballot Hall of Fame in the modern era. They didn't want the Red Sox. They want to pay him like the Red Sox.
Speaker 1: Who do you think they have as much money as the Dodgers or the Yankees. They didn't want to pay him. Also, refresh my memory. Didn't Mookie want to stay in Boston?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They wouldn't meet his contract demands. Yeah, yeah, yes, he did want to stay.
Speaker 1: I would love I would love to know what those contract demands were. That they at the time said as the Red Sox to your point bends you know what, They're really struggling to draw attendance there, Like it's really you know, they don't have a lot of money to throw around. I would love to know what what was deemed to be too high of a price for Mookie Bets, who's turned out to be a superstar on another level with the Dodgers, Like, I do wonder what that price.
Speaker 2: Has has Dodger Stadium become. It's not quite like you go to Boston. You know, you go to the different city, you look at things to do in different cities. You go to Boston in like Finway Parks like number four on the list of things to see yea, yeah, because you know he's a freedom trail and all that, and eventually get the Finway. But you come to LA. It's like Dodger Stadium's is it the third oldest ballpark in baseball? I think so. I think Fenway and Wrigley are the only ones older.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But when people come to Las, you have to go to a Dodger game, right, because it's all the entertainment stuff and all that.
Speaker 1: I mean, would you rather go to Dodgers, especially the way they've done it. They've built up the outfield like they've made it's amazing. I mean, listen, you know, you know, you know a Lesion Park and like you know some of the you know, the surrounding areas they're like, you know, a little bit dicey, but depending on who you are. But like, if you go to a Dodger game, it's no longer you're just sitting there and watching a game. They've they've built up the beyond the outfield like it's it's a really really nice place to go and hang out if you're not if you don't have the ability like a Fenway or a Wrigley that's got bars and restaurants like right across the street within walking distance. They've done a great job. Would you rather go to Dodger Stadium or the Santa Monica Pear Like come on, man, now, it's like get out to the game.
Speaker 2: All right. As an added boy, I mean even going to Dodger Stadium, like there's a bunch of stuff around there if you're into like the entertainment stuff. And uh yeah, my favorite fun fact about Dodgers dame. I know if you know this Jonas. But yeah, the great Will Ferrell basketball movie back in the day where I was, Uh, what was the name of that movie? I forget the name of it. The oh, I know remember movie. They filmed it at the La Fire Academy Gym. There's like a gymnasum right near Dodger Stadium, like near Lot thirteen at Dodger Stadium. They filmed the basketball in that at little gymnasium, Random Fun Factory. Every time I drive by there, I think, oh, they filmed that movie there right this old school gymnasium.
Speaker 3: It was It was kind of cool, semi proram that movie.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good movie.
Speaker 1: Right were they the Tropics? Is that the name of the team. Yeah, I believe they were there. That was there the team. That sounds right to me. I just thought of that as Dodger Stadium. It's just popped he there's a lot to do there. But that's why, you know, we encourage everybody to get out there. And if you go out there, you're gonna get excited to see imed Rosario.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna be U. The big addition though about Tommy had been in center field. Come on, kids, Tommy had been by the way. Let me just tell you this.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait for round two Vassa versus mallor an hour from now. I cannot wait to see how that goes.
Speaker 2: I'm on the right side of history, of essays, on the wrong side of history. And he went to the dark side. I I I'm going to bring up I know, and I'll bring this all way for when he's on because I know the moment he went to the dark side. I know when that happens. We used to be friends. I've known for many, many years. But something he changed, something happened, and I think I know the moment where he went to the wrong eye to the road. Yeah, I know what happened. I do.
Speaker 1: Boy, well, listen, we don't know what the Dodgers are going to do, if anything, with just a couple of hours left in the lot of.
Speaker 2: Trades, though, Jonas, there happening fast and furious, a lot of trade, a lot, a lot of movement out there. Dodger fan, let me tell you something. The Dodger fan is numb. They're like they just they don't care anyway. They're like the Dodgers gonna be in the playoffs and they don't see them all worked up. Uh, the the old school Dodger fan back in the old days when the Dodgers they never made the playoffs or rarely made the playoffs. Right, there was that period of time when Frank McCord owned the team and it was the Heat Saw Troy era of Dodger baseball. Yeah, not the greatest era, you know, not the greatest era and all that, but the people are very upset when they do anything. But now it's like, well, they'll be in the playoffs, and you know, it's like okay, they're just kind of numb to. It's like, we'll see what happens in the playoffs coming up. That's the vibe I'm getting. Am I getting the wrong Vibeine? I think you are. Listen, we talked about it yesterday.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the strategy for the Dodgers is let's get healthy, Like, let's just get healthy. That's gonna be our best path. This is the roster and the team that we felt like we were gonna have on the field all year. We've had bad luck with injuries. Let's just get healthy and then and then those will be our additions, our de facto trade deadline editions. As we get ready for the postseason run.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the vibe I get. But there are other people that have a different vibe. Then there are people listening here on the blow torch AM five seventy like Ish in Riverside, Ish, what's happening?
Speaker 2: What do you want? Man? What's your wishless for the Dodgers at the deadline.
Speaker 5: Hey, fellow, it's good to be with you guys. Man, I'm going to join you guys now the gentlemen are on vacation. But yeah, as far as some of the trades and things like that, Honestly, as I was, you know, talking with I think it's Kevin, I'd say, just hold tap. You know, we really do have like the trades, I'm sorry, the pieces, and honestly, in the off season, how much bigger can you get, like unless you bring in somebody like Aaron Judge, which is never gonna happen, right, you know, I'm kind of sitting in that camp. We're like, Okay, there's really not much that we can do except for I really do think some of the adjustments that we got to make. Scrap the whole scrap, scrap the pitching plan, scrap all that stuff. You know, I'm not saying start from scraps, but just you know, uh, make some major adjustments that way. We need guys that are going to distance, you know, more than five innings. We need the bullpen to kind of get back to where they're the best pitching lesser innings. Those are the kind of things that I'd like.
Speaker 2: To see, So thank you to all right, so I agree with you, by the way, I mean, it's great. What would happen if Dave Roberts called the team meeting and say, boys, the starters are going seven innings, all right, we're all going at minimum seven a right, minimum seven? Uh? And that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Like, and I'm with ish from this standpoint. That would be awesome because I mean seven innings and then you got a guy for the eighth and a guy for the ninth.
Speaker 2: He close it out and everybody goes home happy.
Speaker 1: It's just changed, man like like, and they can try and do whatever they want. Well, you gotta stay in for three batters and you gotta do no. The game is completely changed. There would be a rebellion. There would be a rebellion. Yeah, Like if you can if you see a starter in the sixth you're like, oh, he's got his good stuff, like he's he is dealing out there. Like the entire thought process behind how you work a pitching staff has completely changed. And I know you're a big fan of analytics.
Speaker 2: Ben, So I know you are. Oh yeah, I live I live by growing up. I always wanted, you know, no third time through the order, God forbid third time through the or you can't have a perfect game right then when that happens, you know what it's gonna take. It's gonna take We just ripped the Tampa Bay race. But it's gonna take a team like that that has no fan base and they don't care to just draft a bunch of high school pitchers and develop them to pitch laid into games and whatnot, and then eventually if they win, if they succeed with that, then that will become the new normal instead of the outrage and the the hulla balloo. The pictures are providing and really the agents like they get provoked when they have to go deep into the games and all that, and then also the analytical stuff where it's like, oh, look at the numbers, well like it used to be Jones. Maybe I'm wrong on this but in sports you tried to test how far you could push the limits, right, and greatness in sports was overcoming that. When you're tired, when you have fatigue, yes, not anymore now, the first sign of fatigue, you got to come out of the game. You got to come out of it. We don't want any fatigue.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, I don't want to come across as reckless, but I'm thinking for the benefit of everybody here, I think there should be potentially we let some of these guys you use a specific sort of gas, if you will, maybe a performance enhancer on just your arms.
Speaker 2: Like just your arms. So you want to bring back the nineties.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if it means we're gonna get guys going into the seventh and the eighth and they're throwing one hundred and eighteen miles an hour, I mean, who's not on board with that?
Speaker 2: As long as nobody gets hurt. I mean, I think that's the move that we make here. If we really want to bring you and hire Roger Clemens as your pitching coach.
Speaker 1: Potentially, potentially Roger Clemens will get a call at some point or another, you.
Speaker 2: Would, But as long as it's by the book, it's all by the book. Now, it's all by the well with it projected outcomes. It's all about projected out Hey as, Steven La, what do you want the Dodgers to do?
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, I'd like to see them get Jack Flaherty, bring back an La guy. And hey, Ben, this is for you, being a baseball guy and a Dodger supporter fan. I got something for you too, Jonas. But hey, Ben, nine years, what's the same common denominator? Dave Roberts nine years Dave Roberts. Listen, how many times has Dave Roberts made the bad pitching decision because he doesn't have a feel when to keep the guy in or when take him out. Guess what, Ben, that's Dodger fans, and I'm speaking for about eighty percent of us. We're going to have a parade either way, because that's the Dodgers win the World Series.
Speaker 7: We're going to have a parade down ster Garol.
Speaker 6: But if we don't make it, they have to fire Dave Roberts.
Speaker 1: All right, that is there's the solution from Steven La. What would you should do at the deadline? I'd like them to fire Dave Roberts. You know what, I really liked him in that spot, jo Miss. I really liked him as Dave Robert. I'm convinced Dave Roberts will be the Dodger manager the rest of my life. I'm convinced that the last couple of years, the way things have gone in the playoffs, and he's he's still there, and I really think it's just a product of him, just that this is what the the this is the the talking points of you, all right, I mean, strategy, He's it's like remember that rant Joe Madden had the old Angel manager when he talked about middle managers.
Speaker 2: Is that's pretty much what you're doing at this point, a lot of managing. I mean, to get that vibe. That's where it is.
Speaker 1: I'm a Dave Robert guy through and three. You know me, so I support him. You know, I think I think Dave Roberts should have his job for lifetime. I think he's what he's done with this team.
Speaker 2: Everyone's the same thing goes on in New York with the Yankee fans complained about Aaron Boone. It's like the same. It's obviously a different coast and all that, but it's the same scenarios.
Speaker 1: Like, by the way, I saw somebody like kick around this idea, like with the Yankees move on from Aaron Boone in season Jonas in California. Yeah, I'll take no please, that'll be That'll be no from from Aaron Boone being moved on from by the by the New York Games.
Speaker 2: The counter argument is always, well, it works during the regular season, so you get in the playoffs and it's a crap shoot in the playoffs, and that's that's always their counter argument is like, well, yeah, the analytics, it does work in the but it's a small sample size in the playoffs, and as our guy just mentioned, you do have to kind of have a little feel for the game on when to take pictures in and out and who to trust and who not to trust and all that, and it's just an information overloads situ waits as our boss. Don you say it's paralysis by analysis, my man? Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, we have more more feedback here. Roland is in east Vale listening here on a five seventy l A Sports.
Speaker 2: Rolland what's happening. What do you want the Dodgers to do?
Speaker 7: Here's the deal, guys, Dave Roberts needs to trust this pictures. They need to go deep because let me tell you something worry and you know, going into August and these pictures been pitchering for three months. You know, I could understand who'lls april me? You know, you do, you watch your pitches, But come on, guys, if you can't trust your pictures to go seven, a lot of these games we've lost because of that. You know, he pulls them out and here comes our bullpen and you know, and they're they're tired. Man. We need these pitchers need to pitch seven, you know, going through seven or eight if you have to. But I mean, come on, you know that that pitch count. I think it's kind of ridiculous. These these pictures, you know, they can go that extra yard, you know, and needs to trust just it.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like back remember when the Brewers traded for C. C. Sabbathi at the deadline and they brought him in and it was like, well, you know, he's probably not going to resign there because he's looking for a big money deal in they're a small market team. So the Brewers are like, oh yeah, no, we totally get it, and they threw him out there to throw like one hundred and forty pitches a game.
Speaker 3: Not our problem.
Speaker 2: You get beer next year, as many as much cheese as you want, keys, curs as you want. Just keep pitching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So maybe they just they maybe they do make a move for Garrett Crochet and just have him start like games one and two in the postseason and just say screw it and he's he's dealing.
Speaker 2: I got a couple thoughts on with that, guys. So the first thing is, I agree that the pitch count is like snake oil, right, because it's just an People love round numbers. Human beings love round numbers. Like if you throw ninety nine pitches, you're okay. But one hundred pitches then it's a problem. Right then your arm's going to fall off. Well, why not one hundred and twenty? Why not one hundred and thirty? Why is it one hundred? Why is that? Yes, they decided years ago one hundred pitches is an amazing number of pitches. Even though you hear stories about Fernando Valenzuela and Mexico, even with the Dodgers with a sword in the early days, throwing like two hundred plus pitches in a game. And I was like nothing. They didn't even count pitches back of this. But and the other thing, and this is the thing that really just is a pet peeve of mine. And it's not just the Dodgers. A lot of teams do this. They say, Okay, we're saving him for the playoffs, he's gonna be better, and then they go out and peel all over them. They invite the vomit comm in the playoffs. Jonas, But you told me in May and June and July that you cut down on the innings and the pitches, you're gonna be fine. And then they go out there and they still stink in the playoffs. So why not just pitch them during the regular season. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's only one way to wrap this up. And it's on the iHeartRadio app and it's Mitch in New Jersey. Mitch, quickly, what do you want the Dodgers to do?
Speaker 8: Jonas? Ben?
Speaker 6: How you guys doing?
Speaker 8: Ben? Also, so you're talking about the raised jerseys, are those devil raised jerseys that might be worth something?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 8: Definitely should have gone back tonight.
Speaker 5: I think they gotta get it.
Speaker 6: I'm tired of.
Speaker 8: Getting these utility guys didn't you get a big hit it whether it's a shortstop or Nowfield. I mean, I wouldn't I wouldn't mind Cody back the said is the guy I think about?
Speaker 6: And what about the guy Oakland? You know, the.
Speaker 8: Dismantling team before I get the secramount of Butler, he'd be great.
Speaker 6: And Nowfield, what are you thinking them?
Speaker 8: Thanks taking my coll No, we have a.
Speaker 2: Trade listen, big time off that guy. The Pod squad are going for it the Pod. Now the Dodgers have to do something because the Padres. There's an hour and a half to go a little less than that before the music stops on the trade deadline. But the Podres who the Dodgers play tonight? You can hear it right here on AM five seventy. The Padres have acquired the Marlins closer Tanner. Scott uh is going to San Diego. And if the dog this it's gonna it's about to get real. If the Dodgers lose these next two games of the Padres, the Padres will have the tiebreaker head to head and and I think whether it be three and a half out or something like that in the standings. So these are very important games in the next couple of nights with the Padres, and the Padres go out and get a big arm for their bullpen.
Speaker 1: And that was and that was a target for the Dodgers. I believe David Vasse reported on that that that was a target for the Dodgers. Now he is gone and he goes to San Diego, and so I just wonder if maybe this is karma for the fact that you know, I mean, David Vassa was kind of, you know, like maybe a little bit too friendly while in San Diego getting ready for the series coming up later on Blake Snell, former Padres, you pointed out, now a giant, but maybe there is some residual effect there from from you know, Dave vass A kind of hanging out and now that Tanner Scott is a Padre.
Speaker 2: If best say was out, he's out and he drove up the ocean side or something like that. And this all might be related pending medical review, Jonas it says, pending medical review. Hey when that, what kind of doctor are they going to find if they want him on the team. Right, Let's look online. Let's see here, it's got a Craigslist. My guy doc Mike, who calls the overnight show doc Mike from Chicago. Well, listen, it is a busy trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Well it's starting to get busy at least, you know, not a lot of big names except Tanner Scott.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest one. Maybe they're a hard old baseball guy.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: This is a big day because a lot of the secondary guys are being traded, a lot of the secondary guys. I also love when the insider guys are like, oh no, you know, Marlin's got a hole for Tanner Scott, right because and it's a bunch of guys you've never heard of. Yeah, I was like, wait a minute, I've never heard of that guy. It's it's a hall.
Speaker 1: It's like some of the like it's okay to just say, hey, we don't know who these guys are either, Like can we just somebody like have some brutal honesty about this whole thing. But nonetheless, that's the latest big move in the Major League Baseball trade deadline sweepstakes. Tanner Scott goes from Miami to San Diego, and as you pointed out, Ben, the Dodgers will have to see him one of their trade targets. Now he is going to be pitching for the Pods.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good move though, from like lifestyle you live in Miami. Yeah, if you like the warm weather, great San Diego not bad either, Right, So you're in. You're in good shape. It's not like going from the Marlins and being traded to like the Cleveland Guardians. Oh, that would be a tough one. Yeah, that would be difficult. That would be hard to handle, right with you.
Speaker 1: So we've got more on the trade deadline moving and shaking. What does this do for the playoff chase, for the chase for the NL West with the latest big move for the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 2: We'll have more on that coming up next year on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports Rogan and Rodney, but not Rogan and Rodney, Ben Mallard, Jonas Knox in for the guys here coming up in about ten minutes from now. I mean, this is like the good old days of sports radio and sports radio feuds. We've got one for that just took place not long ago. That'll be yours here in about ten minutes from now. But Ben, I did you know, as we're looking around waiting for the big deal to get done for the Dodgers at the trade deadline. Dave Assay is going to join us top of next hour as well too. I was thinking about this. I think I finally figured out why you appreciate a guy like Less Snead because the FM picks approach sounds like it's right up your alley, Like that's yeah, yeah, everything that you're about. Yeah, No, I have long I learned this growing up as a Clipper fan. For years they would have lottery picks, and the old play by play guy Ralph Lawler told me, every year, this is the year they they draft like the Big Tens all time leading score, the Big East, all time leading scorer, great.
Speaker 2: Player, and this is going to be the year everything's gonna come together. And those guys, some of them were good, a lot of them were not. And I had this this point, I had this epiphany, right, this come to g this moment where I realized it's all a fraud, Right, It's all a fraud, and especially in baseball, because the minor league system. Every year, this is gonna blow you away, Jonas. Every year they come out with a new ranking of the top one hundred minor league players, and you know, every in the offseason they come out with it, and it's a renewable resource. It would be like if you're a farmer in Iowa or in the middle of California and you love your crop and you you think it's the greatest crop in the world, and then you don't want to get rid of it. No, there's you can grow a new crop. There's there's going to be you can plow the field and you can put something there that is new. So the whole point of a minor league system is to enhance the major league roster. Right now, you don't trade everybody, but you should improve and especially like the teams that are that are in it. And I said this on the Overna Show last night, Jonas, Like there's right now there's about four or five teams. And if you were to remember the old thing, we should with tiger woods. Oh yeah, tiger woods of the field, like going to the Masters. You take tiger of the field. And if you gave me the Dodgers, the Phillies, the Orioles, I'd throw the Yankees in there. And I wouldn't even put the Cleveland Gardens. Just those. Let's just do those four for now and you can have everyone else in baseball, but if you're those four teams, don't you have to go for it? You know what I'm saying, don't you have If you're the top four, you gotta go for it. Yeah, now I do want to Just you know, a little sidebar.
Speaker 1: Is the reason you're not putting the Guardians in there is because of the name change?
Speaker 2: Is that why that is? Well? A team named after a Bridge, I can't get excited about a team named Afterridge. I'd much rather have a team after named after socks. I mean, you know, the originally were people in the eighteen hundreds. Now let's call them the white Socks of the rest. But Bridge the.
Speaker 1: Guardian way and and and don't judge me if I still watch Major League Okay, I've done nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm baseball person.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you, and I think there is a separate I just I wonder if and when Dave Roberts made the point like yeah, you know, we're you know, we got to do something, But it feels like all the other moves have already taken place, Like I wonder how frustrated Dave Roberts is with things which may which might be telling over his confidence level at how healthy this team actually can be. If you're waiting on health, maybe that is the wrong approach.
Speaker 2: Well, Dave Roberts quote to me was great because he guaranteed if the Dodgers did anything, he would be happy. Right, He's like, well, we need to do something. He didn't say a big name or anything like that. The quote that he gave was brilliant because he's like, there's something. He was intentionally vague. Yes, right, because that's the talking points and all that soul. It's like, hey, and there is a world. I'm sure you know. We'll talk to essay and he'll probably tell us that Tommy Edmonds going to about seven hundred in the in the NLCS this year, and Rosario is gonna, you know, hit five home runs in the wild Card round if they have to be in that, which they won't, but uh, you know we'll get all that, you know, so uh and that does happen in baseball. The single greatest baseball performance I have ever witnessed was Eddie Rosario of the Atlanta Braves in the twenty twenty one Oh God and LCS. Yeah, the guy was Tony Gwyn, Pete Rose Barry Bonds. It was insane. They couldn't get him out. Eddie Rosario, Who the heck's Eddie Rosario?
Speaker 1: It was like, who was the dude that hit? Oh my god, it was Game five at Dodger Stadium for the Mets. He hit that home run off Granky. He was just nobody could stop him that postseason Oh the second Basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh god, that David Wright.
Speaker 3: No, I know you were talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the guy got a big contract is yeah, Oh it's killed. We've we've forgotten about him already, look right, it's yeah, the guy hit some bomb well. And then I was there when Matt Stares hit that moonshot for Oh my god, that was Joe off of Broxton, I believe, I mean to the Moon, by the way, I still remember that.
Speaker 1: So the call from Joe Buck when Stars hit that home run was Into the Night. And so when Tony Bruno had his Into the Night's show, it worked perfect for Bruno because it was his show and it was a Philly so we're perfect Bruno. So yeah, the Into the Night Daniel Murphy, Daniel, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Liked you.
Speaker 1: Nobody kicking him out and he hit that home run off Granky, and I remember just the vibe at Dodger stayed him being like, oh no, it's happening.
Speaker 2: So I'll make a deal. If Tommy Edmund turns into one of those guys, I will get on here and I will kiss Dave Roberts took us, and I will admit I was terrible. That was a terrible take. I will apologize for the take. I do not think that's going to happen. I mean it sounds like a bet. I mean, that's that sounds like I probably did die if Tommy Edmund and Rosario lead the Dodgers in the playoffs and they even if they win one playoff series with those guys leading the way and they get to the World Series. I mean, okay.
Speaker 3: And by the way, so based on you guys' most recent conversation, when I see the great Kevin ac who's been down in San Diego for years on the Union Tribune, when he says it's quite a hall of the Potters are sitting to Miami for Tanner Scott, I should take that with a grain of salt.
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, because Charlotte's seconds ago. Okay, it's all boiler plate. I'm telling you, Kevin, it's all boiler plate. They all have this ready to go. Whatever the Monks got, and you know, they go to Miami. You go play ball for a couple of years. If you're good, you go to the Yankees and the Dodgers or another team. You don't stay in Miami.
Speaker 1: It's it's lotto scratchers. You don't know what the hell you have until you scratch them off. So to sit there and say, hey, man, I've got ten grand in my back pocket right now, and the guy, oh, let me see it, and you pull out like a lot of lotto scratchers. It's not the same thing. It's not the hall that everybody makes it to be. But I do like that. That was the go to fresh off the discussion that we were just having.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's really it's a hustle Jones because it's one of those things. It's the easiest thing to do. You you praise the minor league players for the future and all that, because people always buy it. They always believe that every minor league player is going to be the next you know, Mookie Betts and the next show Heltani and all that stuff, and most of them turn out to be guys that are out of baseball, have to get real jobs within five years. Oh no. If you are a fan of boxing, it's the week, the seek week. Oh it's the best. I love boxing, man, I not MMA stuff. I'm a boxing guy.
Speaker 1: And Ben, you mentioned earlier this hour how you're a huge fan of the Santa Monica Pier, Well, tomorrow begins at six at the iconic Santa Monica Pier. It will host its first free professional boxing matches following Terence Crawford's public workout. He's the pound for pound king, so there'll be a public workout there at the pier in preparation for his bout against Israel Madromov at Bemo Stadium this Saturday. In Everything or Nothing with check this out a special guest performance by eminem. Tickets for the August third event are available now at ticketmaster dot com. Now if you are also a fan not only of boxing and what's happening during fight week and everything going on at the Santa Monica Pier. If you're a fan of feuds in the world of sports radio, we got the latest for you. Next am five seventy LA Sports, Ben Mallard Jonas knocks in for Fred and Rodney here coming up TOPA.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll call it about ten little over ten minutes.
Speaker 1: From now here on AM five seventy we are going to get round two of Vasa versus Malor here on the air. Lots of conversation.
Speaker 2: To be had.
Speaker 1: With a little over an hour left in the MLB trade deadline, we've got a little bit of a little bit over an hour. I'm looking at an hour and one minute left, Ben mallor less than an hour.
Speaker 2: And thirty seconds, thirty seconds on the live clock. And that matchup you're promoting there, Jonas, you're a hype man. That's a heavyweight versus a lightweight is what that matchup is? No chance And there's a we were talking conspiracy theories earlier. There's a new conspiracy theory what the Podrays are doing right now. The Podrays have traded away pretty much their entire minor league system over the last couple of months to get Dylan Ceese, Luis Rise, and now they got Tanner Scott as well. So the conspiracy theory is that the team is going to end up being sold and that they're doing this now, one last run with this players, and they're they're gonna start unloading guys in the offseason. You buy that, jonas you think to that conspiracy that the reason the Padres are doing this is because this is last chance saloon for the Padres and if they don't win this year, they're gonna have to get rid of some of those massive contracts in the offseason. Why would like, with live sports in the way it is, why would anybody sell their team right now? Why not wait, like like ride the wave as long as you can and then sell them, you know what I mean? Like, it's weird that the Celtics have decided that ownership. There's like, oh, now we're going to sell the team. Like I get it, you just want an NBA title. But with all the money and the revenue coming in, like, why not hold on a little bit longer? We are in a tough spot there. They're one of the teams I say tough spot. They're still making money hand over fist. But when Peter Seidler died and then they had the double whammie because the TV deal in San Diego fell apart, they lost their their cable TV contract in San Diego. So the any Seidler was the grandson of Walter O'Malley right, the guy that he spent all the money for the Padres. I believe that's the case. So uh as just the text, I got that the reason the Potters are making all these trades is because they're they're gonna have to unload a bunch of players in the offseason. I mean, was was that a text from the great Steve Hartman? Was that Homer Hartman? No? I was not from Pat O'Brien either, Bean Maller, let.
Speaker 1: Me tell you what's going on with the ponds pet Co Park. It'll be owned by somebody else and they're gonna have to change the name.
Speaker 2: It will no longer be called pet Co Park. Yes, uh, a final push? How about this one final push? Jonas the Yankees and the Astros trying to get the great Yondi Diaz from your Tampa Bay rig Son. What on what a stunner The Razors are trading somebody again. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by the way, for those of you that are still going to raise games, God bless you.
Speaker 2: Just enjoy a hardy bunch. You're a hardy bunch. All that we're still waiting for the Dodgers anything having anything from the Dodgers anything.
Speaker 3: The latest thing on the Dodger front comes from John Hayman. Here's what he says. Dodgers were another team in at the end for Tanner Scott. That may have triggered the Padres to do more. That's your Dodger trade update right here.
Speaker 2: Back to you. That's back to you at the news desk. Wow, a lot of crickets. Even the Angels are doing it. Angels. I thought the angel would trade half their rosters. Nobody wants Angels.
Speaker 3: But Anthony Rendon on the injured list again, that's what just happened once a month.
Speaker 2: So he's in mid season four then, right, he's in mid season form Rendon. Yeah, there you go. Wonderful.
Speaker 1: Well listen, I mean we are going to get As we mentioned round two of this this back and forth with with David Vasse and Ben Mallor. We also had another incident that took place earlier in the world of sports and sports radio. Jeffrey Simmons, the stud defensive lineman for your Tennessee Titans. Ben Mallor, Yeah, apparently he and Buck Rising, a local radio host, had a little stage name.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure you know that sounds like well, you know what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a name from Pro wrestler reports, start.
Speaker 2: Me, Yeah, exactly, You're not making that up. I swear to god. Rising is a star rising Nashville radio. Okay, he's got the Buck Rising Show and uh and so he stops with him.
Speaker 1: Apparently he had tensions were rising, Ben Mallor when Buck and Jeffrey got together at Titans training camp.
Speaker 2: Here was the exchange. Sit down.
Speaker 4: We can talk whatever you want to talk, Jeff. We'll deal with that later. Roger McCreery sitting down with us here on one O four five his own Jeff, I mean we're on the air right now.
Speaker 2: A lot of me.
Speaker 4: I'm right here, Jeff. We can talk anytime you want to. Unbelievable. We gotta make that happen. Well, we'll deal with that later on Roger McCreary sitting down with us. Jeff, if you want to sit down and talk about this, we can talk about this.
Speaker 2: You stop talking about social media. Talk to me.
Speaker 4: I'm talking to you right here, Jeff. We tried to talk to you last week.
Speaker 2: I'm talking.
Speaker 4: I'm being rude to Roger. Will do with you later.
Speaker 2: Did he say I tried to talk to you last week and I don't want to talk to you. Is he talking to him right now? Am I wrong? Is what he's doing? Yes? By the way, I do.
Speaker 1: I do like how this this is considered like a legit, like back and forth when Mike North and Ozzie Gee and years ago had Yeah, that was amazing.
Speaker 3: There's not enough bleeps or dump buttons enough for me to air that.
Speaker 7: It's just.
Speaker 2: You know, have you have you ever had one of these jonas where a player gets in your face and just yells at you. Oh, Brandon Marshall, uh, the former NFL wide receiver. So we were at a radio row in uh San Francisco. It was the Super Bowl in Santa Clair.
Speaker 1: But we were like, you know, uh playing you know, hopscotch over sleeping bags to get to the to the media center. And so we get there in downtown San Francisco and Jay Moore like mentioned something about that is correct. Yeah, I'm not trying to step on and he toes here right, you know, I just I want to be clear here. I just want to you know, paint the picture correctly. But so he was like talking to Brandon Marshall, and Brandon Marshall is a big dude, like he's like six or four. He's jacked, and he had left the Bears and he was I think he was on the Jets now. And so Brandon Marshall like was trying to tell some story about you know, the Bears and is falling out with the Bears and saying, oh, well, you know, listen, like they wanted to be gone and I would never you know, go out and like, you know, want anybody gone for when I specifically remembered him after a game saying if things don't improve around here, there needs to be some changes, that includes on the coaching staff, like something along those lines. And all I did was pointed out to him, and so Jay being Jay just kept stirring the pot and I was like, well, hold on, say and Brandon Marshall, what did I lie about?
Speaker 2: I was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Last year after a game you were frustrated and you said postgame that if there's not some improvements around here, there needs to be some changes. Is that not calling for some changes like somebody's job, like you said it specifically, And he got so pissed because I was I was right, and I remembered the incident because it was like a big story in the NFL at the time. And he started ripping me and he's like, I'm not gonna sit up here and take this from that guy with all that gel in his hair. So like he got like he got pissy about it, and you know, afterwards when everything calmed down, like you know, he ended up, you know, we should shook hands or whatever. I was like, listen, man, I'm not trying to cod like, that's not me. I'm not trying to start fights or anything that He's oh no, no, no, he's all, hey, I respect that, you know, you didn't like, you know, a lot of people like to they say something then they'll back down or what. I was like, no, well there was no, it's fine, Like I don't blame you. I don't want to get the hell out of there too. Like it's so everything was fine. But that was my only real interaction. You, on the hand, just.
Speaker 2: Get free shoes, like you get free shoes from Brandon Bass. Like, but no, I've had I've had, as you know, Jonas, I've had a fair amount of runnings over the years. But as the the great late T. J. Simers taught me, the other days. He said, if you're gonna rip the guys, you gotta show up. I used to sup all the time, right, So I ripped the guys. I'm gonna date myself. But the Dodgers used to. They made a trade with the Mets to get this guy named Todd Hunley. Right, this is years ago, and it was, you know, on the local airways here and I he was terrible. He couldn't throw, he couldn't hit. I didn't even know why he was on the team. So I was like, I took shots at him, right, And so I was out of I was in the Dodgers clubhouse, uh, one day and Hunley comes up to me and he's like, are you Are you Ben Maller. I'm yeah, whatever. You do that radio show? Yeah, I do the radio show. I says, this is the line. I'll never forget this line as long as I live. He says, I don't listen to sports radio, but my family does. And they're said, with what you're saying, I mean, he was, it was outstanding. It was so good. I don't listen to you, but my family does, and they don't like.
Speaker 1: What you're saying about how much how much bigger? Were you than him, Do you think that might have deterred him, because what are you?
Speaker 2: Six seven? No, I'm not that tall, but I was much bigger than him, and really I was very fat at the time, so I could have sat on him and crushed him or something like that. But yeah, that was the one guy that I thought was going to kill me. He's dead now, so I can tell this story. Was this guy named Tony Phillips who played for the Angels, and I was assigned to cover the Angels in the nineties when they blew I think eleven game lead in August, late August, they had an eleven game lead and the Seattle Mariners came back. Sorry, Kevin, Sorry, sorry to bring up those old memories. Yeah. Yeah, So I'm in the locker room, right, So I'm and I was doing stuff for the Associated Press, so I had to get a SoundBite from somebody on the Angels. Those guys didn't want to talk, they couldn't hit, they couldn't play defense. They were terrible, right, and so Tony, I remember it was a Sunday afternoon. I just told I ran into Tim Mead recently I told him the story because he was the PR guy for the years and uh. And so I'm in the locker room and I had to talk to Tony Phillips because they had three hits in the game. He had two of them, right, so you had to get the star of the game for the end. So I interviewed Phillips in the locker room. He comes out from the from the shower area. He's in a bad mood, and I'm waiting. I'm the only one year's locker so I'm like waiting to talk to him. I asked him like a generic a you know, what do you think the angels can do to turn things around? He stands up, He's sitting. He's a little guy, for he's a very small man. He stands up and starts screaming at me. And I'm like a kid at the time. I was very young at the time. And uh, and I'm like, oh my god. And I was saved by Chili Davis. He came over and saved me. I did I froze? You know you froze sometimes, you know I froze. I didn't know what to do, Like this was a big I was just a fan a couple of years earlier. And this guy who I'd watched on TV wanted to kick my ass, and I'm like, I didn't know how to handle it, you know, and I like kind of froze was a long and like chili came over and they like kind of got between us and and I guess later on we learned Tony Phillips had some issues, some off the field issues that I was not aware of at the time. He might have been partaking in at that I don't know. But now, now, were you trying to be an a hole or resilient? I was a question. I became an a hole the longer I was in the business. At that time. I was naive. I was wright eyed, bushy tailed, you know, I was a fan. I know Phillips.
Speaker 1: Did he also play for the Tigers too? Oh yeah, he was, by the way, very good ballplayer.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was very good, and he was ahead of his time, was analytics and on base and all that. But one of the great hotheads of all time, Tony Phillips, And oh man, what a debacle. And the Angels actually brought him back later on and he yelled at me again a second time later on, he yelled it he didn't like me. Oh well, you know, Ben at least your past. Some of those feuds.
Speaker 1: You know told him in thirty years, I haven't let it go. No, but you know we thought, what do we dust? Another one off? Back for round two. Vassa Maller next