Speaker 1: Special Operations, Cobert Ohs Spionage, The Team House with your hopes, Jack Murphy and David Park.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Welcome to episode three fifty six of The Team Mouse.
Speaker 3: I'm Dave. This is Jack.
Speaker 2: Our guest tonight is doctor Chris free, the author of The Operator Syndrome, which is I feel like a seminal book, like it pulls in so many things that people are ignoring now or they're getting misdiagnosed, or just kind of lumped altogether.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us. It's really great to have you.
Speaker 4: Oh well, thanks for having me. I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: So real quick, before we go into your origin story and your can you just give us a real quick teaser on what operator syndrome is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, So.
Speaker 3: Operator syndrome is not a diagnosis per se, but think of it as a framework for understanding the very complicated and interrelated injuries and impairments that develop over time during the career for many high risk professionals. So obviously operators for military special operator operations are an extreme end of that. The framework is relevant for first responders, firefighters, law enforcement, for soldiers from other parts of the combat arms. Quite a bit of my work has been with paramilitary intelligence adjacent operators, and so the concept is that these professions involve an enormous amount of physiological strain on the human body, and we call that alostatic load. So that static or physiological strain affects all of the physiological systems in the human body nervous system, endocrine system, respiratory system, metabolic system, muscular skeletal et cetera. And we have failed, in my opinion, we have failed, you know, generations of soldiers and first responders now by over relying on the diagnosis post traumatic stress disorder. So we've used for decades now, we've used PTSD as the easy button. And when we do that to a hyper risk professional, we're saying, oh, all of your problems that you think you have all fit into one bucket. We call it PTSD, and we only treat that with two issues to treatments, psychotherapy and a bucket full of psychiatric medications. And so the concept of operator syndrome is that that is that that's a fail and that we need to be looking at brain health, traumatic brain injuries, hormonal dysregulation, sleep dysregulation, sleep apnea, chronic joint pain, chronic headaches, cognitive problems that develop over time, and yes, some psychological issues anger, depression, general anxiety, addiction, and even a little PTSD. Although let me say this, what I don't see and the guys I work with and the gals I work with, I don't see the fury activity or the avoidance of triggers that are.
Speaker 4: Associated with PTSD.
Speaker 3: So for myself, I don't really although I'm a so called PTSD expert. According to some people, I don't see the I don't see it. That's not the problem. It's interesting. Yeah, I don't want to derail.
Speaker 2: But about the postmatic stress stuff, I'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: But first off, please tell us your origin story. Where did you grow up? How did you get into medicine? Oh? Okay, well, so I grew up in a lot of different places. My dad was a physician. He joined he commissioned in the Air Force in the early sixties, so he was a Vietnam He became a veteran in Vietnam, a veteran of the Vietnam War.
Speaker 4: A few years later.
Speaker 3: As a physician, we lived all over I think of the Midwest is primarily my home.
Speaker 4: Although I was born in New York City.
Speaker 3: I went to high school in Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan. I did my graduate training in Ohio, and then I got a PhD in clinical psychology in South Florida, Tampa, Florida. And that was the kind of the beginning of my journey of my career working with veterans and service members.
Speaker 2: So can what like around what year was that, and then like what was your initial impressions of veterans at that time, and then how if that changed over the years, how did it change?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, Well, let me go back to my childhood. So I was I was probably about five years old when my father was served in Vietnam, and I think that was sixty eight, sixty seven sixty eight. My great grandfather who lived until who died when I was fourteen, so I knew him very well. My great grandfather was a veteran of the Spanish American War and he fought at the Battle of San Juan Hill.
Speaker 4: So from both my.
Speaker 3: Father and my great grandfather, I developed a sense of, you know, what it meant to serve, what it meant to be a soldier, and as well as that there is a cost associated with that that endures for years after the war and for many people, many soldiers, and that was kind of my why for why I wanted to be a psychologist. So I went to graduate school, started in nineteen eighty seven, graduated in nineteen ninety two. And to put a little that into a little bit of context, the diagnosis of PTSD was added in nineteen eighty was added to the psychiatric nomenclature in nineteen eighty. So when I started graduate school and was already thinking about my dissertation with PTSD, it was a new diagnosis. It only been.
Speaker 4: Officially books for about seven years.
Speaker 2: Was prior to PTSD was shell shock like was it a diagnosable thing or was it just like parlance battle fatigue?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was parlance.
Speaker 3: And I don't you know, I wasn't practicing prior to nineteen eighty, so I don't really know how it was handled in terms of like VA coding or insurance.
Speaker 4: Billing and those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: But we can trace it all the way back to the Civil War, and in the years after the Civil War, there was a syndrome that was described described by a doctor named DaCosta. It became known as either a soldier's heart or Dacosta's syndrome kind of interchangeably, and the idea, the concept of it was where Civil war soldiers were going in to see doctors post war and they were describing cardiac problems for which there was no path of physiological basis that could be identified, and guys were dropping dead of cardiac problems.
Speaker 4: They were just.
Speaker 3: Describing shortness of breath, tightening chests. Guess what, that's probably panic disorders. And so that was the very beginning of really modern medicine, going wait a minute, there might be something going on here.
Speaker 4: With regard to post war experiences.
Speaker 3: In World War One, a different, different term kind of came out of that.
Speaker 4: Shell shock.
Speaker 3: The concept of shell shock at the time was a veryalogical and it was the idea that soldiers on the front lines were exposed to these bombardments of artillery, so flashing blinding lights, loud booms, vibrations of the earth, and they were needing to be pulled off the line. And then actually they were generally sending them back to Britain, or at least the Western Allies were sending them back to Britain dressed homes.
Speaker 4: And it became known as shell shock.
Speaker 3: And it was thought of at the time as being a neurological condition, and then it was promptly forgotten when the war was over. There's some really classic writings of some of the neurologists at the time who laid out a research agenda for how we could understand this better. But with the war over, nobody followed up on it until we got to World War Two. In World War two we came up with a different conceptualization of it. So in World War Two we called it combat fatigue, and the concept was soldiers over time would just get fatigued, and in a sense, they normalized it as a normal reaction, not an extreme reaction. It's just, you know, you can only spend so many days at the front line in combat and then we've got to pull you off. Now, what they didn't do, they didn't send people to far away rest homes for six months or a year. They pulled They pulled soldiers back from the front lines just a few miles where they would be in a camp in a tent with a cot, warm, dry, reasonably good food, and just three to five days with nothing to do other than to rest and sleep. But then they would be sent back to their units, and the concept of that was actually turned out to be very effective from the from the perspective of war fighting, we had very few site We had very few psychiatric casualties during World War tw using this concept of giving soldiers rest periodically. Now, if we carry that forward to the combat fatigue concept to Vietnam, that had implications for how we fought that war. So we created the US military created the de ROS system. DeRos is an acronym for date of expected return from overseas, So it was a one year tour of duty. You were if you were in the army, well, Marines are tougher, so they had to do thirteen months. But if you were an army it was twelve months, Marines thirteen months, but you knew when you were coming home, if you lived, if you survived, and if you weren't injured to the point of needing to be medevact out of country.
Speaker 4: The idea was any.
Speaker 3: Soldier could go and fight for a year knowing that on this date they were going to be they were done. And so that was a strategy that the military used to mitigate psychiatric casualties. And they included R and R for so many soldiers got R and R midway or part way through their year, like a Hawaiian vacation or a trip to Japan or the Philippines. It's fascinating.
Speaker 2: And then you know because shell shock almost did you read this story about the marine unit, the artillery unit in Syria, They fired off so many rounds that guys when they came home, we're.
Speaker 3: Seeing ghosts, thinking demons were after them. Like it was yeah, yep, yes, And so I think where you're going with that is they got it right. Yeah, they actually got it more right than not. And we have spent now one hundred years where we went off in a different direction, really a very Freudian direction. The concept of trauma is very Freudian, and I'm not a Freudian. It doesn't mean that that trauma doesn't have a conditioning effect or a condition to reaction to traumatic experiences.
Speaker 4: I do believe that.
Speaker 3: But we really pulled way back and we went very psychological with our concepts here, and we left neurology out of the picture, we left brain health out of the picture, and we turned it all into the psychological thing.
Speaker 4: And all of our treatments focus on.
Speaker 3: The psychology of responding to trauma experience, and part of the problem there is everybody responds differently. There's genetic differences, there's upbringing differences, there's training differences. We know that soldiers who are really well trained and are surrounded by tight you know, spree to core within their units. That that right there is a huge protective factor for any kind of psychological or psychiatric reaction during the war, during the deployment, as well as after words. So we we've actually lost a lot of the good common sense that we used to have in medicine one hundred years ago, and hopefully we're bringing our way back around to get to picking up where we left off from twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you mentioned PTSD, it reminded me of an article I had read before the global were on terror, and it was it was a medical study that they had checked the brains of people who had made it through SFA, especially force assessment selection, that they had a higher or lower amount of some neuropeptide.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the specifics now, but.
Speaker 2: They said that basically it created sort of like this teflon layer where they didn't like revivify memories. They didn't you know, when something happened. It just kind of was gone. And so there was this idea that these guys would have a lower incident of post traumatic stress. But then after the GWATT, it left me wondering, you know, watch all this post aumatic stress. But you know, you're saying that it's not just that. You know, there's a combination of all these things.
Speaker 4: It's not it's not just that.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's go to the extreme nature of what it means to train to be an operator or anything adjacent to that. It involves an enormous amount of physicality, rucking, lifting, running, combatives, jumping out of airplanes, repelling, maybe diving, tactical driving.
Speaker 4: So these are all things that are.
Speaker 3: Not easy on the body. Then you add on top of that the sleep deprivation, which is both necessary for training and combat. I mean, it's an inherent part of it, but it's also part of the selection, an assessment strategies of youah, you got to go, you got to stay awake for five days, and we're going to see if you can do that and keep functioning part of the selection. Then you have the blast exposures, and I think blast exposures are the signature injury of global war on terror. We haven't admitted that, but I think I think we are. If we get right, we're going to come around to that understanding. Training with with with demolitions, with shoulder fire rockets, breaching sniper rifles, even handguns involved microblasts. And now we know for about eight years now, nine years now, we've we've we've we have some inkling of what blasts do to the brain, which is very different from anything we've ever understood before, and it's a different type of injury than an impact impact force is. So blasts have a shearing effect through the body and what we what was what was revealed in a study published in twenty sixteen, is that the sheer aring effects leave the glial cells in the nervous system scarred. So each neuron in our system, those are the messenger cells, has about ten glile cells as its support network. They hold the neurons in place, they protect them, they insulate them, they take out the toxins, and they get damaged from blast exposures. So you get this scarring pattern in the brains. It's very different from the amyloid plaques, the tauel proteins that can develop and build up after an accumulation of impact force blows to the head.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, it's Jack. I want to tell you guys about the sponsor for today's show. It's Mando. Mando makes a whole series of male grooming products. They are unique and that there are a deodorant that you can use all over your body on armpits if you like, but also wherever else you may deem necessary. And I have been using these products for about three months now. I've been using the body wash it's Bourbon Leather. I've been using their bar of soap, which I really enjoyed, and also their deodorant. And so I exercise a lot and get very sweaty, so I need a deodorant that's going to do the job, and Mando has come through for me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: The body wash was great. I actually used all of that. Need to reorder some more. The bar of soap is also very cool. It was very very smooth actually, so I hope you guys will go and check them out. They have a starter kit that's up there, and they have a special deal for Team House viewers, so the starter pack is perfect for new customers. It comes with a solid stick deodorant, cream tube deodorant, two free products of your choice like mini body wash and deodorant wipes, and free shipping. As a special offer for listeners, new customers get five dollars off of starter pack with our exclusive code that equates to over forty percent off your starter pack. Use code Teamhouse at Shopmando dot com. That's s h O P M A N d O dot com. Please support our show and tell them we sent you Smell fresher, stay dryer, and boost your confidence from head to toe with Mando.
Speaker 3: So, you know, and that's like you said, we're just now.
Speaker 2: Starting to understand lassgers, or at least understand the effect that they've had.
Speaker 3: That's very new.
Speaker 2: And like, has the VA or a lot of other organizations caught up with that or is everything still just post traumatic stress?
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm not in the VA right right, I don't know exactly what happens in the VA, but I talked to a lot of people who either work there or veterans like yourself who may have tried to use the VA. VA has for since the night teen eighties, has invested heavily in PTSD treatment programs. There are there's a network called the National Centers for PTSD, and there's seven or eight of them around the country in the VA. They're funded by Congress, so they have separate funding. And so we've built a huge industry in the VA around PTSD. And the people that run these centers, that run these networks, many of them are scientists, clinical scientists, and so when you look at even NIH funding, NIH grant panels often have many VA investigators on there. When you look at the journals, the medical journals, the psychology journals related to trauma, many of them are led by VA employees. So the VA is a very very powerful force of for supporting the construct of PTSD and the treatment for it. And they've been very influential on DoD and every other part of our Western mental health systems. Law enforcement, firefighters when they have trouble, they get if they're having difficulties, they often are almost immediately diagnosed with PTSD. And so maybe rephrase your question again. So we've kind of gotten away far away from where we were in nineteen seventeen. We know TBI is a problem for soldiers, we know it, know it, but we don't really act on that knowledge very efficiently. You go out of here TB and PDSD clumped together as if they're the same thing, right, they're similar, we can't tell them a part.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think that one of the reasons it like TV isn't in blast exposure, isn't as recognized it because they don't really know what to.
Speaker 3: Do about it right now. Maybe in part we don't understand it very well. It's hard to evaluate in a truly objective fashion. I mean, I can talk to you in half an hour, I can figure out if you probably have TBI, but I would be asking questions that other doctors might not ask. And in terms of like doing an MRI and cognitive performance testing and getting that kind of data, that's both expensive and complicated and highly imperfect because an MRI doesn't necessarily show us brain damage, especially at the cellular level. So when we talk about the TAUL proteins or the glial cell scarring associated with chronic traumatic encephalopathy or what's now been called interface astral glial scarring. The only way to really know that and look at that as post mortem. So we have to wait till somebody's dead before we could actually go into their brain at the level of that pathologists do. So we are hampered by ignorance, we are hampered by a lack of really good.
Speaker 4: Technology to really explain things.
Speaker 3: We're also hampered by what I'll call referred to as a little bit of a deep state in the VA system. So when the Global War on Terror started twenty almost twenty five years ago, the VA system was what it was and hasn't really evolved much since everybody who had the power, who had the empires, who had the clinics and the centers and the research funding, they weren't immediately, they weren't changing directions or switching lanes very rapidly, if at all. And so I think the problem we have today is and PTSD is the number one injury that you see, may be careful of that. It's one of the top injuries that you see in VA disability claims. So it's been so deeply ingrained and codified in the VA's policies, in the clinicians and even in the veterans and the patients. It's a term that gets, you know, that gets thrown about and used widely. Could we do better, Absolutely, we absolutely can do better. And where is the VA changing? I'm not sure but I do know they have five polytrauma centers what they call polytrauma Centers, and one of those centers I think is soon going to incorporate the word or the phrase operator syndrome into the name of their program. And they're certainly using the concept, the construct and the framework and what they're doing. Now that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we get further on, I want you to like kind of give the give us more on the VA because you mentioned some really interesting things in your book, But so you start out your focus on post traumatic stress when it's relatively new, and really, what did people know about the postmatic stress from the movies in the seventies and eight isn't even up till today, is that somebody has flashbacks. They think that, you know, Charlie's in the wire and Huey's openside and they kill everybody in the office.
Speaker 3: Right Yeah, Yeah, and really interesting question that we can wonder about here. Did Hollywood create the PTSC that we have today? Did all those movies in the seventies that used flashbacks as a plot device, did that create what we now have as a symptom of PTSD. I have never had a patient, even in my years at the PTSD clinics who really had what you what you often saw in the movies where through flashback that involved them acting as if they were back in that scenario. And an interesting study that was done probably fifteen or twenty years ago by the Brits. We got some of the great research happening with veterans as comes out of Britain. And what these guys did was they got all of that. They got the medical records from the Boer War fought at the very end of the nineteenth century, early twentieth century, so they got the military records of British soldiers who fought in South Africa and they went through them just qualitatively, reading through them looking for symptoms of PTSD. And they found a lot of symptoms of PTSD, but notably, there was one thing they didn't find any reports of in the medical records, and that was flashbacks. They didn't find any evidence of people describing these dissociative episodes where they thought they were reliving or re back in, you know, in a moment of combat and acting accordingly.
Speaker 4: They didn't find it. That may just be a modern invention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's interesting because uh, like people, they're still very influenced by that idea today.
Speaker 3: I remember when the.
Speaker 2: Whole I don't know, maybe during Trump's first term, maybe I don't remember, maybe it was Obama, but you know, there was a school shooting and there was the armament about like arming veterans, you know, to guard schools, and you know, a couple of people that I knew in New York were like, no, they can't do that because the veterans might have postraumatic stress and I'll shoot all the kids.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's not how it works at all. No, that's a you know, that's a sad well, that's a sad uh outcome of the of the fact that half of all veterans of the guy, it's probably more than half now are are rated disabled by the VA for PTSD. If anybody who served in a war zone, that's the diagnosis that they can very easily get, and it does. It is compensable. The problem there is what kind of message does that send us with society. We have a whole society who's now walking around with this wrongful notion in their heads that soldiers, the soldiers who deployed to war are broken, damaged, likely to snap, risky, dangerous, and we don't think of them as likely to be good fathers, good, good husbands, good members of a community, good, good workers, good spouses, And nothing can be further from the truth if we look at the data, But most people just go with the stereotypes. One thing that I that really disturbs me, and I see this a lot nowadays is divorces. A mother going through a divorce with somebody who's formerly you know, an operator or another high risk professional often will report to the court, to the judge that their husband is a risk, is dangerous and they're afraid of them because of PTSD, and judges seem to look at that and go, okay, yep, that makes sense. So maybe there's a restraining order, Maybe visits with children only happen on a very limited basis with supervision.
Speaker 4: And I just I can't even begin.
Speaker 6: To to extol the tragedy of of veteran and responder fathers who are losing enormously in their divorce, divorced settlements and custody settlements because of some wrong, wrong full.
Speaker 3: Myths or beliefs about PTSD and how their service, how their work may have affected them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, and like we're trying to normalize the idea of postraumatic stress operators and drone you know, blast exposure things like that. But what veteran is going to come forward, what male veteran is going to come forward when that's a looming possibility. It's like red flag laws, you know, it's like red flag laws. And what veteran is going to like, say they have postraumatic stress or anything else going on, if they might not ever be able to own a weapon.
Speaker 3: Again, that's right, that's right. So I have a good friend who is a DEA agent and he's in his early fifties. He actually spent five years as a DEA agent in Afghanistan, running and gunning with drug interdictions, functioning very much like an operator. Never mind, not to mention what he does in the US. And part of his story is a few years ago he raised his hand and said I'm not doing well and I need help. And he was one of the senior He wasn't the sack, but he was one of the senior agents in his regional office, and leadership there took his gun away from him, they put him on a desk, and he was told almost right off the bat by somebody in HR that he certainly, probably almost certainly had PTSD and they were going to refer him for PTSD treatment, which they did, and he went along with it, you know, he was trying to be a good team player. He went along with it for several months, and what he found was the diagnosis didn't make sense to him, the treatment didn't make any.
Speaker 4: Sense to him, and he just stuck it out.
Speaker 3: He went through the motions and about a year ago he read the Operators Syndrome book and I actually met him at an event and we became friends since then. And that's part of his story is he modeled for the younger guys in his region in his office that hey, it's you know, it's okay to say you need some help. And then he was punished for it, right, and so you know, he got slapped pretty significantly. For about two years now, he used the Operator Syndrome framework and he got some of the right treatments for himself, and he's now back functioning, operating again. He's back at the full duty that he wants. But that is such a common experience. And I'll even give you another example, probably about ten years ago, about ten years ago, there were some of the psychologists who who were with Naval Special Warfare out on the East coast. One was the lead, you know, they were leaders that some of the teams out there, including Development Group, and they had operators, they had cels and EOD technicians who they realized weren't going to talk to them because they didn't want to get pulled off of potential deployments. And so for a while there they were referring them my way, and you know, I'm not in the military, I'm not in the VA, I'm not in any of the command structures. So that was there was there thinking, hey, talk to this guy. He might be able to help, and he's not going to Nothing is going to be put into your official records. So you know, if I so to this point today, I've probably worked individually with six hundred, six hundred and fifty operatives over the last twelve years or so. Most more than half of that has been entirely pro bono. The other half of it are less than half of it has been through work I've done for some attorneys working with private defense contractors who needed to be evaluated for treatments and.
Speaker 4: For insurance claims.
Speaker 3: So I was able to take advantage of that to do full evaluations using the operators your room framework.
Speaker 2: So let's so you start out your Did you say your graduate thesis was on postraumatic stress or yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, it was my dissertation, your.
Speaker 2: Dissertation, all right, So yeah, you have to forget the uneducated amongst us who don't know the difference. But so your dissertation is on postmatic stress, and so what was what was post traumatic stress at that time?
Speaker 3: What did you learn? What did you discover? Well, I don't want to bore the world with my dissertation because that's that was not it was not a.
Speaker 4: Terribly important study.
Speaker 3: But maybe the question you're asking is from today, was PTSD different at that time in the nineteen eighties early nineties, And the answer is that it was different. We change the DSM every ten to fifteen years. We are currently using the fifth edition of the DSM, and I'm sorry I should say what the DSM is. DSM is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.
Speaker 4: For Psychiatric Illnesses.
Speaker 3: So it's put out it's a book that is created and put out by the American Psychiatric Association, and it's a catalog of all the psychiatric diagnoses that we recognize, and it says what their symptoms are and some other information about it. So PTSD was added to the DSM in nineteen eighty for the third edition. The fourth edition came out in ninety four, and the fifth edition came out in twenty thirteen, and each of those two times there's been significant additions or changes to the definition, And I think this is important. This is actually an important question that you've asked. The original definition of PTSD was fairly simple and straightforward. It involved a trauma that was considered to be quote outside the range of normal usual human experience, such as combat, such as being sexually assaulted, and it was primarily all the symptoms were around the concept of fear, fear reactivity, and avoidance of things that might stimulate or trigger that fear. It got watered down a little bit in in nineteen ninety four they took out some of the wording about outside the range of human experience, so now it's just a traumatic experience that involved the sense of fear, helplessness, or horror.
Speaker 4: At the time. In twenty thirteen they took even that out, So.
Speaker 3: Our current definition, while it involves, you know, you have to have trauma to have post trauma stress. The definition of trauma is very nebulous and it really left open to the interpretation of the individual. VA took it one step forward in twenty ten. They actually passed the lots in the federal registry that a veteran meets the criteria for PTSD. For the trauma part of PTSD if the veteran ever set foot in a war zone during their military career, doesn't say anything about what they do, what they did, what they saw, what they experienced. Just merely being there for a day or maybe even less than a day, just merely having been there counts as the criterion a trauma.
Speaker 4: For the diagnosis.
Speaker 3: We could go off, you guys know this, We could go off on a whole conversation about society and how everything now has become defined as stressful or traumatic.
Speaker 5: I mean, I imagine some of that is also a reaction to the huge number of veteran suicides that VA was getting a lot of bad press for at the.
Speaker 3: Time and hiding for a while. Yeah, and by the way, they still are. They've not brought that those numbers down at all. Yeah, those numbers they have stayed the same no matter what they've done. And I mean, we are in a society now where trauma seems to be political currency or social currency. Students, college students will proudly tell you they have PTSD and the childhood of trauma. Now, sometimes I don't, you know, I don't go digging or exploring, but I have certainly found many examples where somebody has described trauma and when they describe it, you have a little bit of a.
Speaker 4: Sounds stressful, It doesn't sound traumatic.
Speaker 3: Though, So I think we've changed the threshold of what trauma is.
Speaker 4: That's one thing. The other thing we.
Speaker 3: Did in twenty thirteen with the revised diagnosis of PTSD is we added a lot of symptoms in there related to general anxiety and depression. And if you take the questionnaire that's most commonly used, it's called a PTSD checklist. Everybody uses it. It's a one page, simple checklist form. You could give that to anybody who does not have a traumatic history at all, but if they have depression or anxiety, they're going to score as if they have high levels of PTSD. So we've turned it into a diagnosis that really doesn't have any sensitivity to separate one patient from another.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, our show is sponsored by ghost Bad Check them out please and make awesome mattresses, awesome pillows, awesome betting. Ghostprep provides high quality, is super comfortable award winning mattresses AFT in the US and Canada. Did you know that sixty percent of US adults report being too hot when they're trying to sleep. That's me, I'm a sweaty little baby. That's why we design all of our products with cooling features so you stay comfortable and asleep all night long. Pair any of our mattresses with ghost Beds award winning adjustable base and get the ultimate sleep experience. Ghostpared rules the family owned business sixty thousand plus five star reviews. They have sleep experts on staff with twenty plus years of experience. If you have any questions, you can hit them up and ask them, you know, maybe what kind of mattresses.
Speaker 3: Work for you.
Speaker 7: Twenty plus year warranty that's two times the industry standard, free shipping and returns on mattresses. Most of the products ship out within twenty four hours. They have in house customer support and sleep acts, sleep experts, chilling in plantation Florida. It rules, it's the best. They give you one hundred and one night's risk free to make sure that these beds are right for you.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. After one hundred and one nights, you could send it back full refund. Uh.
Speaker 7: When you purchase a ghost bed mattress, you're comfort guaranteed. I'm reading it right now, and it's capital letters guaranteed. Okay, they do the right thing and they're a great company. If you're not sure which ghost bed's right for you, like I said before, you could take you could take their mattress quiz online, or you can give a call to one of their sleep experts and they'll help you with exactly what you possibly could need, what works for you, and what doesn't. And the best news about this is teamhouse listeners and viewers. You get an extra ten percent off sitewide for a limited time. You just go to ghostped dot com slash house and use the code house at checkout one more time. That's goosped dot com slash house with the code house ho u s at checkout for an extra ten percent off site wide. I want to think Ghostped for their continued support. I want to thank all the fans that listen and watch for their continued support. Without you, guys, we are nothing. So thank you for supporting the show, and thank you for supporting the companies that help support the show. Ghost sped dot com slash House for ten percent off, Made in the US, Made in Canada. Shout out to our brothers in Canada. They rock. Check them out. I love ghost Sped. Thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it's interesting, but I think it's like you say, it's sort of these this opening up of society so that everybody's lived experience is as equal to.
Speaker 3: The next person's lived experience.
Speaker 2: And you know, if somebody yelling at me in the street is traumatic, then who's to say.
Speaker 3: It's not if I say it is, right.
Speaker 2: So, as you were, like, you know, as the GAT was progressing and you were in this field, what were some of the things that you were seeing that would eventually lead you to to the operator the Operator Center.
Speaker 3: Well, so the story is pretty organic. I left VA in two thousand and six, so that was just as we were starting to get the veterans from the GAT, the first sort of wave of them coming into the VA. So I left just as we were starting to get GWAT veterans coming in, so I didn't clinically, I didn't have a whole lot of experience with them. In About six years later, I was working in.
Speaker 4: Houston, Texas.
Speaker 3: Actually, I had my job here at the University of Hawaii and I had a job at Baylor College of Medicine, So I was commuting every month, spending a week in Houston, and there's a small foundation that had just started up there. They had been started by a former Naval officer and a recently separated Navy seal who had been together and they had been kind of there the night that Extortion seventeen went down, and they were helping identify bodies and things like that.
Speaker 4: I think they kind of had a bond.
Speaker 3: So they started this small foundation that in Houston, which was at the time initially it was really just it was like a happy hour thing, you know, every two weeks, all of the soft community in the city of Houston were invited to come together for this. And it wasn't just Navy, it was Army, Marines, Air Force. They had a lot of guys from the intelligence world, including at least one guy who'd been on the bin Laden Task Force for many years, and it was really just intended to be a chance to get guys together just to kind of hang out and connect with each other and maybe make some job connections, employment connections and that kind of thing. And early on when they invited me to start at ten their meetings, what happened was a lot of guys would come up to me, you know, kind of one on one privately, ask if they could talk, and then we'd set that up and I would do that, you know, separately, and the typical complaint that I would that I would hear would be go something like this, Doc, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't feel like I used to feel. I don't force or perform like I used to. I'm tired, I'm apathetic, I don't want to work out, I don't really have much interest in sex. My girlfriend's beautiful, but just not that interested. Trouble concentrating, trouble motivating, not sleeping. And I assumed I did what psychologists did then and do still today. I assumed it was PTSD initially until I started talking with these guys and getting to know them, and at some level, you know, within probably the first month or two, a couple of months really realize this isn't PTSD, this is something different here. So traumatic brain injury with depression were kind of the two next big hypotheses. But did some stuff, some trial and error stuff that kind of shocked me, including we were getting blood panels and the testosterone levels that came back were really love hadn't did not expect that at all. Why does this thirty seven year old former Navy seal, who looks healthy, who looks well, who looks big and muscular, why does he have the same testosterone.
Speaker 4: Level of an eighty year old man.
Speaker 3: Sleep studies they kept coming back with sleep apnia, which didn't make any sense to me either. Why do these these thirty late thirties, early forty guys.
Speaker 4: Why are they having sleep apnia? That didn't compute for me.
Speaker 3: Also, through my research program, I had a ticket and all you could scan at the Baylor College of Medicine Brain Neuroimaging Center. So I was taking all of my research subjects from the hospital. We're getting their brain scanned. So let's try this with some of these operators. We put them through the same protocol and working with the neurologist friend of mine, looking at them. What his reaction was was, well, these it all.
Speaker 4: I told him, these are men. He didn't know what he was looking at, not really, so these are men.
Speaker 3: And he looked at him and he's just like, so, these look like relatively healthy brains, no lesions, no tumors, no great big white matter spots, relatively healthy brains for an eighty year old man. He thought he was looking at elderly brains because of the ventricle atrophy. So now it's like, holy shit, And I wasn't you know, these guys were not describing the index events of head injuries. They weren't. None of them were diagnosed with traumatic brain injury. None of them had any history being blown up like in an ied explosion, so they didn't. None of them were even had even been evaluated for a TBI.
Speaker 4: And so that became part of what we were doing. And then the more we the more, you know, the.
Speaker 3: More I talk with these guys, and then their friends and then their friends, it was a snowball thing that happened.
Speaker 4: All just had the same pattern over and over again.
Speaker 3: Every single guy had evidence of TBI, evidence of lotustosterone and other hormonal dysregulation, insomnia, sleep, apnea, chronic pain, chronic headaches, cognitive impairments, and then of course social impairments that you know that all bleeds out into your into your family life, your marital life, your work, other aspects of your world. And that's when I started in my own thoughts thinking, this is a syndrome. This is not a simple one diagnosis. These all go together, and when we go well, why does somebody have why would a man thirty seven year old seal have low testosterone? And then you go through well, why wouldn't he have low testosterone? And it's probably multiple factors. The brain injury, So the pituitary is the master land that's in the brain. The high op tempo of never taking a knee, of going going, going, never quit, you come back from deployment, you start training, you go through those intense training evolutions. So there isn't a time There just isn't time for those court for the cortisol and other stress hormones to normalize.
Speaker 5: Hasn't it also been linked to like sleep deprivation and poor diet stress, The burns out the deference.
Speaker 3: Right, so TBI sleep deprivation, sleep problems, that high op tempo, poor diet, alcohol, abuse, chronic pain, so all these things go together and teasing them out. Well, what percentage is related to blasts versus a high opt tempo?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know that we're ever going to know that in me and at least for right now, it doesn't matter. We gotta we got to jump on this this body, this body of injuries and impairments and treat it now because guys are you know, they're hurting. Uh, They're losing the good things in their life, their marriages, their jobs, and we we we we do have a very serious suicide rate in all of the.
Speaker 4: High profession high risk professionals of Chris.
Speaker 2: Where does the sleep app being come from, because that's not something you think of, how a relatively fit guy having totally and I don't know, I don't know the answer to that, is it is a from Does it come from some aspect of the TBI. Does it come from some aspect of neck and head, you know, muscular.
Speaker 3: Injuries in this area. Is it something that builds up over time when you're just not sleeping and not getting enough quality sleep? So I'm gonna just like I'm ignorant, I don't know the answer to your question. Yeah, I don't know that anybody does.
Speaker 2: So how were you How were you putting together this framework as you were capturing it? Because in your book, like there are I don't remember how many chapters, but there were like twelve to fifteen chapters of like different things.
Speaker 3: How are you compiling that? Yeah? You know, early on, I wrote up a document for myself. It was just kind of notes, and then I thought, you know what, I need to something to educate and share information with the guys I'm talking to in their spouse. So I took that document and I gave it a title. I titled it the Operator's Sleep Manual. No operator wants to talk about mental health, and I don't blame them, So let's talk about sleep. And when you put everything it takes to sleep better, you're really taking care of everything.
Speaker 4: So that was the hook that was sleep.
Speaker 5: And the wormy gets them as they call it, like, what is it like performance enhancement or something like that, that we're evaluating you and to improve your performance and they can get guys into the clinic for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly right. You want to perform better in sleep, you got to do these things.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And as.
Speaker 3: I was learning. I just that document was a living document. So it kept getting longer, it kept getting having things added to it. And at some point in twenty eighteen or nineteen, with some colleagues, we took that document and we turned it into a paper that we submitted to Medical Journal and it was probably and so that was that's the twenty twenty medical paper titled Operator Syndrome. And just for your readers, anybody can find that online if you just Google or search, do a search for operator Syndrome Medical paper. It should come right up.
Speaker 4: It'll be a PDF. You can print it off.
Speaker 3: It's actually pretty easy to understand because it was written initially as a as a document to help educate operators and their spouses. Now, Chris, you start running in.
Speaker 2: First off, you talked about the VA earlier, and one thing you mentioned in your book was you know is like I didn't know that the VA research in order to be a researcher you had to be a VA employee, like they don't take research from anyplace else. But you also ran into people who were like no, like uh soft guys like we don't like don't make them prema donnas, like social justice demands that they don't get any special attention, like people were trying to shut you down, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 4: Maybe some people trying to shut me down.
Speaker 3: I certainly have been on the receiving end of some you know, smarrows here and there. The VA does not, I mean, some of the people from the VA PTSD world, I would say, really don't want to hear this. One of the leaders in the VA said to me in a meeting, she said, well, this is all kind of silly because their problems are really PTSD and I will I said, well, what do you base that on? She goes, well, they all have very high scores on the PCL checklist. Okay, so now we go down to this. We go down this little rabbit hole of PTSD. Checklist measures a lot of things, it's not very specific to PTSD. Also asked her about her about her data. Where you get these one hundred and fifty operators you say you have, Well, they come to our clinic. Okay, how do you know their operators? Oh? Well, they self identify. Do you know what brand? No, we don't have that. Do you know what kind of units? No, we don't have that.
Speaker 4: Do you have anything on their deployments.
Speaker 3: No, we don't have. So all she had is people saying that they had been an operator without any other details, and she didn't soon understand why that might be a problem or a concern. And I said, well, you know, most of the guys I talked to an interview and talk to you very deeply at length, don't report these symptoms of these very specific symptoms of PTSD. And a response to that was she just kind of smile, goes, Yeah, that's denial.
Speaker 4: They're all in denial.
Speaker 3: Wow. And so it's a no when situation with somebody like that, you either endorse all the symptoms and you have PTSD, or you don't endorse the symptoms and then you're in denial.
Speaker 4: And you have PTSD. Right, So, no matter what, you're going to have it.
Speaker 3: So there's a little bit of that. We were trying to get get a program funded at Houston Methodist Hospital some years ago and a large site visitor team came out and met with us. There were I think six or seven of them. This was the Marcus, the Marcus Brain Health folks. And in working with the Green Beret who was the veterans point person for this group, I'd been in calms with him for probably about six months by this time, and I thought we were going to be funded.
Speaker 4: I thought this was almost more of a formality.
Speaker 3: And it came out and the guy, the neurologist, and they're also named Jim Kelly, who was the leader of the team. In the first five minutes, literally the very beginning of the day. We had a whole day and an evening blocked out to spend with them, and as we were going through our sort of our opening introductions, when he realized that we were only proposing to treat operators in our program, he said, Nope, I won't approve that. And he didn't stand up and leave at that point, but mentally he did. He didn't participate in the discussions or the meetings the rest of the time. In fact, when we met with the hospital, the hospital, the CEO of the hospital later that day, he sat in this nice mahogany walled office and pretended to fall asleep during that meeting. What he said was, we're not going to do this. We're not going to fund this. It's not right, it's not fair. Operators have already been treated special their whole careers, and we're going to treat everybody we have socially, just to give the same treatment available to anybody. And his own point person, the green beret sitting at the table, said to him, wait, hold on, we're talking here about a group of operators as a group of people who have unique injuries, unique experiences, unique exposures. So the idea, I mean, he laid out what I had already given to him, which is, it's not about doing something special for somebody special special. It's about giving every patient the treatment they need to be well and healthy. And for somebody whose job took them to very specific certain types of of experiences that would reduce produce injuries, we have a we have a responsibility as a nation, as a society to give those individuals the treatments that they need.
Speaker 4: That did not fly.
Speaker 3: He was not persuaded by that, So that didn't so we didn't get the funding for that that It just just died right there.
Speaker 4: In that moment.
Speaker 3: And it's sad too, because.
Speaker 2: Just like in the military, things that you know, soft gets that the rest of the army does and or the rest of the military doesn't.
Speaker 3: Eventually, you know, trickle down, trickle down, That's true, that's right.
Speaker 2: So so had this gotten off the round with you know, with the operators, then it would have become a platform for you know, those infantry units that were out there hooking and jabbing all the time. And I see what you're saying though, also that you know, with with operators, you know, or soft guys. You you, you know what that group is, right, you know what they've been through.
Speaker 3: With everybody else in the military.
Speaker 2: There there are infantry guys and marines who were out there, like in it, right.
Speaker 3: Slugging away.
Speaker 2: But with this really broad, expansive thing of post traumatic stress, suddenly you guys get flooded with you know, people who spent their time, you know, behind the wire the whole time.
Speaker 3: Right, And so you're exactly right about that, and so that that becomes you know, that's that's also a real problem for the va IS, most clinicians, most people in civilian society don't understand that. When you think of the Department of Defense and the different branches, there are people there are soldiers who are in the combat arms, and then there are soldiers who are who do all the other things, very important things, critical things, But that doesn't mean they're being shot at or shooting at enemy, and we really have. I mean, I don't know the exact proportion, but I think it's about a third of soldiers or in the combat arms, and about two thirds are in play these very important support roles for those of the combat arms. And we never talked about that the difference there, never even heard about it. When I worked at the VA, I came to realize it myself because I read a lot and I talk to a lot of people. But I don't think your average VA clinician really has that awareness, right, And so when they get a patient who comes in and says, Doc, oh I have PTSD, and yeah, I served in Iraq for a year, there isn't an understanding.
Speaker 4: They even can't even picture what was in I Rock.
Speaker 3: They don't know what the bases or the fobs or the different regions were about the We don't know that if this person was a mechanic, they were likely to be doing certain things that would be very different from somebody who was infantry.
Speaker 4: And of course even.
Speaker 3: There, you know, we know that some of those mechanics did end up at it remote fobs, maybe stationed there or moving around and rotating. So those mechanics also may have experienced quite a bit of indirect fire or whatever, and so they may themselves be different from others who are not in the combat arms. We're just not We just haven't done a very sensible job of training medical clinicians.
Speaker 4: Right on these nuances.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, and it's like you say, like with them opening up the definition of post traumatic stress and what trauma is. I mean, I'm sure somebody who is in one firefight one time at their base or got rocketed, and you know, maybe somebody who was heard or whatever, I'm sure that was traumatic for them, right, no question. But then but then to take that and then to try to compare that to like you say, the allostatic load that people who were doing it over and over and over every night.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so you know where you like, you have.
Speaker 2: To draw a line somewhere when you're starting out a pilot program like this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Here's another here's another excerluience that happened kind of along these lines. So it isn't just the VA, and it isn't just the PTSD industry, folks. It's also I think officers in some corners of SOCOM so I had heard for a number of years from people who who you know, were a little bit on the inside, that the generals and admirals at SOCOM really didn't want to hear about operator syndrome. They weren't curious. It wasn't something they wanted to know about. I presented last year to a civilian foundation or to a foundation not active military, and in the room in the audience was a was a recently retired admiral and I say recent last five years retired admiral who had more than one star, and he stood up after my short presentation and he said, I don't like this. I haven't read your book, but your ideas seemed very dangerous.
Speaker 4: And he was in part talking about.
Speaker 3: Things he'd been thinking and hearing for several years because he referenced the medical paper, but he essentially said, you know, shame on you. These ideas are dangerous. They're going to hurt recruitment and it sends the wrong message about you know, operators and who they are and what they are. The very next person to stay to stand up in that room was I think she was a social worker from the Warrior of Care coalition, and she completely pushed back on him. She says, sir, you know, I got to disagree. We use this, it's relevant, it resonates, and it has been what we've used successfully to get so many guys to engage in various treatments that they need. And so by labeling it as a dangerous idea or a dangerous concept and just saying we're going to ignore it and not not even engage in the conversation, he's going to be really harmful to, you know, to so many people.
Speaker 5: I think the military has been very I was just I'll politely say, they've been very slow to recognize traumatic brain injury. And you know this part is I would speculate that it may be because they're concerned about personnel issues that they'll have to take people off of their positions to be treated and maybe discharged out of the military. Like I spoke to a senior he was a senior leader in Delta Force where they started putting the sensors on their bodies, you know, to measure blast over pressure. And he made he wasn't in denial about it. He's like, yes, this is a real thing, it's a real issue. But his point was, if we're gonna avoid blast over pressure. It becomes that we can't do our job from riding on helicopters, shooting guns, explosive breaches, all of these things.
Speaker 3: Well, we have to stipulate, of course, that we are not going to stop training. We have to do those things. Those those are you can't. You can't you don't have special operations. You don't have soldiers if you don't train. So there's no part of me saying we need to stop training. And I'm not even saying we need to train lasts or differently. I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's not my area of expertise.
Speaker 3: There probably are ways in which we could train smarter people will find smart people will find oh yeah, our people will.
Speaker 4: Find them, I think loud.
Speaker 3: We can do to mitigate those injuries along the way along during the career. There's there's many things we can do that don't involve you know that don't that aren't complicated, aren't expensive? Aren't aren't you getting the soldier's baseline? Yeah, that would be one, getting getting baselines of cognitive functioning, hormone levels, probably a handful of other things. One.
Speaker 2: It's interesting though, because that admiral was basically saying, fuck the guys, who are suffering. We need more guys, like, let those guys suffer, Like we're done with them, We've used them, we're not worried about them, but we don't want the bad pr And and it's very short sighted anyway, because like anybody who like saw Muhammad Ali when he was later on in life, they didn't that didn't stop the boxing injury or in the industry like uh, football, you know, never suffered from knowing all the things that those guys go through. When you're young, you think you're invulnerable. You don't think about the future. You're not worried about it. You're like, I want to do this thing. I'm going to do this thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And actually that you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: I don't think I don't think the fear of death or injury keeps people from going into special operations, because if it did, there wouldn't be anybody in special operations. So it's kind of a it's almost a ridiculous argument to make. And we were a year ago we did have a recruitment problem in the US military, and then that has changed under the current presidential administration. So maybe the problem wasn't so much operator syndrome as it was other things. I you know, this this resistance anything new, certainly in medicine but probably everywhere, is something that takes a little time to fade away.
Speaker 4: What I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: Now is more of the leaders, the one in the two star office flag officers. Many of them are people that I may have known five or ten years ago before they got a star on their shoulder. So they've kind of almost like come through the ranks with some awareness and understanding, and their perceptions are going to be very different. So I have some level of optimism that there's going to be more openness. I did the last year, last May, I was invited to present it Softweek in Tampa, so I did that. That was kind of a marker.
Speaker 4: Of maybe a little bit of a change.
Speaker 3: And then in January of this year, I recorded a podcast for I did the Sokon podcast with Matt Parrish and it hasn't been published yet because something.
Speaker 4: Happened in the recording, so we got to re record it.
Speaker 3: But my sense of even being asked to be on that is also a Marre's There's more interest and there's more willingness to engauge this specific conversation, Chris.
Speaker 2: I want to check how we're doing on time, because all right, an hour in, I think, yeah, okay, because I actually want to ask you or just kind of go over a few of the things you mentioned, just for anybody who's watching. You know, maybe you know somebody, you are somebody, or knows somebody. So the syndrome you start out with TBIs sleep diservance of sleep disorders. How like, how big is the sleep diservance sleep disorder aspect of this massive?
Speaker 3: It's massive. Sleep is so important for our health. It's we can't think of.
Speaker 4: It as optional anymore.
Speaker 3: And what we know today we didn't know ten years ago. Sleep is critical for everybody bodily function. So if you're not getting enough sleep, your body is not going to regulate its metabolism.
Speaker 4: Well, so you're going to gain weight.
Speaker 3: If you're not getting enough sleep, your hormones aren't going to get produced and managed and regulated. Everything in our body has some aspect where it needs it needs sleep. And when we talk about sleep, we need several things. One is we need enough of it, So seven and a half or eight hours for most of us, we need time sufficient time in rem state and slow wave state sleep. Each of those states has very specific purposes that happen things that happen in those states, and we really need to sleep most more or less through the night without a lot of interruptions and awakenings so that we can go through our normal sleep cycles. Rem sleep is when our cognition is really being sharpened. Our experiences and things that we learned during the day are being sore it through and makes you know, and we're making sense out of things. When we're in slow wave sleep, that's when our testosterone is being produced. That's when our body is healing. If we're sick or fighting off an infection anywhere, that's that's very important time to have more time in slow wave sleep. We also know that during slow wave sleep that's when our brain.
Speaker 4: Is cleaning itself.
Speaker 3: Those glial cells are taking out the toxins that build up in the neurons.
Speaker 4: So we if we don't get enough of that good sleep.
Speaker 3: All of our physiological systems are getting wrecked and we're not recovering, and we're going to gain weight, and our hormones are going to be a mess, and our cognitive functioning is going to be very much suboptimal, and over time, we're aging ourselves and slowly killing ourselves if we're really really not getting the sleep we need. And you know, you mentioned, you know, people using pendrala.
Speaker 2: You brought up like ambient, the hypnotics and you know, and things like that, but none of those are good long.
Speaker 3: Term solutions, right yeah, right, your best bet.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, we have medications that will put you to sleep.
Speaker 3: The problem is they aren't going to give you the quality of sleep that you need, and they mean it may not be sleep that's any good at all. So just because you're unconscious doesn't mean that you're getting good sleep. Well, I mean, yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: The other problem with ambient is you end up with an Amazon order of like a whole bunch of D and D books or you know, you find out that you tried to make candy by putting a home whole bunch of honey.
Speaker 3: Well that happens if you're drinking too to get get to sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean the things I've done on ambien, like because I didn't fall right asleep.
Speaker 3: You say, D D books, Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, a whole like stack of fifth books all yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But like cooking while I'm on it like crazy with no recollection. I've known guys that have woken up in the morning and discovered they cooked and ate an entire meal. Yeah, I've done that. I've done that.
Speaker 4: Shape off their beard.
Speaker 3: I have not done that, walked into the bathroom in the morning, looked in the mirror, and just jumped out of their skin.
Speaker 4: I know guys that have gone for a ride in the middle of the night. They wake up, why is my.
Speaker 3: Truck parked the front yard and are realizing, Oh, here's a receipt from seven to eleven. Yeah, I've bought some cigarettes. I don't even smoke. Why did I buy.
Speaker 4: Cigarettes and smoke two of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And there's take lightly and there's the panic.
Speaker 2: You check all your social media to make sure that you didn't like, but generally, even if you do post, it's.
Speaker 3: Unintelligible, like nobody knows what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did I mention monkeys with wings?
Speaker 3: One time?
Speaker 7: Do you?
Speaker 3: Jack?
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway. Hormonal dysfunction, that's a big one too, right.
Speaker 3: Huge, huge for a man with low testosterone. It isn't just that that affects sex drive and sex performance. Low testosterone for a man is gonna mimic depression. That guy is going to feel tired no matter how much sleep he gets. Although low testosterone also contributes to insomnia, It's gonna affect his concentration, his muscle mass, his energy, his motivation. He's gonna be irritable and cranky. He's gonna look in the mirror and his face isn't going to look the same. He's going to be like, why do I have this extra flesh around my jaw and my neck? And maybe at the extreme end of it, kind of chomastia man boobs can develop in some guys. Now, that's usually when testosterone is down for a long time and estrogen is up for a significant period of time. But that's why I say get a full panel, not just testosterone, because it might be thyroid, it could be human growth hormone, It could be estrogen, and it could be testosterone.
Speaker 4: It could be all of them affected well.
Speaker 2: And like the next one is chronic pain and in headaches, and like it's all it's it almost seems like it's all this cascade and you don't know, like which came first? Am I not sleeping because like lying on either shoulder hurts?
Speaker 3: And then I.
Speaker 2: Can't sleep, so my testosterone goes down, which means that everything like it's it's just a non stop loop.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 4: Everything is interrelated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the bad news when you talk about an injury to one system, But it's also the good news when we talk about an intervention for one system. Uh huh. So if we can help you sleep better, there will be a ripple effective benefits if we treat your testosterone, whether that's with testosterone replacement therapy or something else, and there are.
Speaker 4: Other ways of treating it for many people.
Speaker 3: As the testosterone comes back up, we're going to start to see better sleep, which is going to lead to better brain health, better cognitive clarity. And we have treatments now that we know are really effective, not just for treating the psychological aspect of things, but for example, Stella ganglion block, ketamine infusions.
Speaker 4: These are treatments.
Speaker 3: That have pretty quick and profound benefits to existential concerns, to depression anxiety, but they also we're pretty sure now stimulate neurogenerativity. Interesting meaning we're now we're growing new neurons, we're growing new connections in the brain, and so we're not just like the Stelli Ganglion block is a one. It's basically a one stop, outpatient procedure, just takes a few minutes. Inject the medicine into the nerve Stelli Ganglian nerve. That's the sympathetic nervous system that brings was that fight or flight arousaled down, So a lot of guys and gals and the high risk professions are just baseline, day in, day out, somewhere out of seven eight nine on that physiological arousal. With this shot, it drops that down to a two or a three. So there's a sense of relaxing, of feeling calm, of actually thinking, being more sharp cognitively because all that noise isn't going on. But it also now we also see that this is creating physiological benefits to the brain, to the neurons and the glial cells in the brain. So we're getting better brain health from these interventions as well. That's fascinating.
Speaker 2: And then depression, anxiety, anger, hyper vigilance, I think is a big one that you know, and somebody explained it one time that I thought was really good. They said, it's like having one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, always in the red.
Speaker 3: Yeah red limon. Yeah. Oh please, yeah, I just that's just agree. That's good analogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, post amount of stress, substance abuse. This was an interesting one to me was the perceptual system's empairment.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about that a little bit?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Well, so if you're if you're playing with toys that go boom, that is going on to affect hearing. Blast exposures in particular may affect the delicate muscles around the eyes. TBI in general can affect vision, so a lot of some people describe blurry vision double vision. Tb I also can cause disequilibrium, so some people have trouble with their balance, and that can be mild the mild end, it looks like, well I'm just a little clumsier than I used to be, or I don't have the same hand eye coordination that I used to have. At a more extreme level, it can it can manifest as vertigo. Be this combined with nauseousness or vomiting, and that can be really miserable. Yeah, we have a treatment for that. It's called vestibular therapy, and that seems to be really powerfully beneficial for a lot of people, no medications, no surgeries. It's literally, I don't want to say literally, it's physical therapy for the interior.
Speaker 5: Basically, they did that too the guys that have Havana syndrome, whole other issue, but they did vestibular therapy and it did show a lot of results for at least a good number of those people.
Speaker 3: You know. Oh, okay, very interesting. Yeah, I just learned something. Well, so again, this is a treatment that is not expensive, it's not invasive, it does not involve a lifetime of being on medications forever. Why are we not making it for individuals who need it to get this intervention?
Speaker 2: It's uh, Now, would you consider both visual and uh auditory hallucinations as part of that or is that something else?
Speaker 4: Something else?
Speaker 3: Okay, hallucinations, that's that's more psychosis Okay, Okay. Cognitive impairments definitely, uh.
Speaker 2: Marital family concerns, intimacy concerns, milody of civilian transition concerns.
Speaker 3: Can you talk about that a little bit? Uh yeah, well, let me let me go back to the emotional intimacy. Okay, please, yeah, is it there's there's there's something I want to say that touches on a few of these. Physical intimacy sex is often a challenge. A lot of guys will do have a rec toile dysfunction, but also emotional intimacy is a challenge. A lot of guys describe feeling numb or they describe not not being able to feel the feelings they know people expect them to show in certain situations. So for some guys, that means they fake, they show it, They show fake. They smile when they know they're supposed to smile, They look sad when they know everybody else is looking sad, that kind of thing. A lot of guys get told by their intimate partners that they're just not very sensitive. Anybody ever told you you're not very sensitive or you're insensitive. I think there's emotion, there's an emotional intimacy peace around patience and sensitivity and empathy, and the empathy threshold gets reset for people who see death and destruction and the horrors that men do perpetrate on each other on a regular basis, and that can lead to I mean, the way the way I look at it is just like with anything else in our life that involves a little bit of learning or conditioning. What one person. What a civilian views is traumatic or stressful might be not that at all to somebody else. I'm not being very articulate here. If the three of us are sitting in a classroom with some of some undergraduate college students who are talking about the stress of being in college and having final exams and maybe having a sick grandparent at the same time, and they're stressing out, and they might use the word traumatized. Of the three of us, and you guys, you know seen and done and been a.
Speaker 4: Part of things I never have been.
Speaker 3: But I'll include myself on your side of the conversation here just because I've heard so much. Are we going to find these college Are we going to have much empathy or sympathy for these college students who are who are lamenting their stressful life with final exams? Probably not. Probably we might struggle to. Yeah, And I've learned to fake it with college with my undergraduate students. I've learned to fake being a little bit sympathetic. But so much of what we lament our first world problems, right, and you guys have seen the third world problems and then some.
Speaker 4: So how do you how.
Speaker 3: Do you connect emotionally with your wife or your girlfriend, with your children. How do you how do you come into a space that's your home, your loved ones, and yet you know there's a You've habituated to certain things, and so the things that cause other people to cry may not affect you in the same way. Now, let's take that and move that. You've gone from being a soldier to being a civilian. That transition the way. The way I've described this before is if somebody came to me and said, Okay, Chris, you were taking away your PhD. You can still have it, frame it, keep it on the wall, whatever, but you're no longer you can no longer practice as a psychologist. We're going to strip your license. Everything you've ever written before, we're going to put that in a vault somewhere. So that's that's not really relevant anymore, and good luck to you. Go find something new to do. Oh and by the way, everybody you're you're going to be with speaks the same language, but words don't mean the same things. Handshake doesn't mean the same thing. Trust and cooperation may be different, and a lot of the wage you're not even gonna be sure of what they're saying. Because the words are familiar, but they may have different meanings. Good luck see it. Oh, and try to do all this with a brain injury that makes it hard to learn new things. Try to do all of that with.
Speaker 4: A sense of cognitive impairments.
Speaker 3: Try to do that with a lot of anger and feeling in a short, short temper or short fuse. It's hard. Transition from the military out into or from any of the high risk professions to a civilian job or to a civilian life, massive challenge, massive stressor I tell guys that have done, you know, twenty years in the military to think of it, of the transition as probably being about a five year experience. And you're never going to truly not be a soldier, right, and nor should you try to be.
Speaker 5: The way I try to, you know, impart some advice on guys is to tell them, like, you know how hard you had to fight to get into special operations and go through selection and all that, Well, you're gonna have to work that hard to transition.
Speaker 3: Out of it.
Speaker 2: And and you know, and when you throw like mission and sense of purpose in there too, and that you know you were doing something that you that is a was a dream for many of us, right, and and you were doing it and then you get out in the civilian world and it's like that, I think that, uh, that's probably where like a lot of the Anhedonia Anaedonia am I saying that right comes from and everything that that Once you've like been where you wanted to be, it's like you have to dig really deep to find a new place that you want to be that brings that same sense of purpose.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and let's add the tribe on there.
Speaker 3: Now you're now you're not Now you're trying to do this, but you're not part of a team of like minded people that you're doing it with.
Speaker 4: Now you're separate from that.
Speaker 3: You left the unit. Those guys are all still doing their thing. They're not even thinking about you. They're pretty occupied. Now you're back to wherever your home is, trying to go, Okay, how do I make how do I fit in here?
Speaker 4: And make sense out of this.
Speaker 3: We've also seen that even for those marriages are that endure to the point of retirement, that that first year after retirement is a stressor. It's a really challenging period for marriages. The wife is like, who is this stranger that's now in my house all the time, spur domain, she runs the place. She knows how everything goes and where it goes and how it works and who to call.
Speaker 4: You don't know anything, maybe, and.
Speaker 3: So so there's not just a whole new set of skills that have to be learned and developed habits, but how do you do that? How do you fit that together at the family level, And that's a real challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, toxic exposure to illnesses and cancers, existential concerns, suicide, and then we're go.
Speaker 3: Into part through the healing and recovery, which is phenomenal. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 2: Look, I recommend this book to everybody. It it puts so many things together that that I thank you so thank you. Uh, and then link is down in the description. I highly recommend it. It's for me. It put a lot of stuff together that I've been trying to figure out that I've been wrestling with.
Speaker 3: So, you know, yeah, very valuable. If can I have a favor to ask of you and your listeners if you do look at the book, One thing that it would be very much appreciated would be a review on Amazon. I've been a little concerned that some of my things have been kind of shadow band. I know they have been on social media when I was on social media, and so getting through some of the Amazon algorithms. It helps if you have some reviews for the book. I'm gonna do it right now, just because I'll forget if I don't. Thanks.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so what's what's next? Like where can people find you? What's next for the operator syndrome? And also if you know, obviously one of the things you mentioned is you know, taking that you mentioned to me before the show, take in the document to the VA, to your primary careac position and just pointing out like these are all things that I'm suffering from, Like they don't have to buy into the operator syndrome, but can I get these tests and things like that?
Speaker 3: This is a medical document. That strategy seems to work for a lot of people. I tell them, print the paper off, go through it with a highlighter, take it to your medical providers, educate them, and use it as a as a conversation starter to ask for what you need. And you know, more often than not, that seems to have a very positive effect. I would also say, you know, it is a challenge to find the treatments that that are that are helpful for me. The three kind of low hanging fruits are get a sleep study if you haven't had one, Get your hormones checked if you haven't already done that, and addressed if need be. And then the Stella Ganglian block is a very low invasiveness treatment. It's literally a one time only outpatient procedure takes just a few minutes. It's it's very similar treatment to when the dentist injects little novacane into a nerve tooth nerve before drilling on that tooth. It's a different nerve, it's a different medication, but it's essentially that's essentially what it is. Just it just it just kind of block that nerve for several months. Now, a lot of guys will get the benefit, and the benefits will endure for months and months, even years. Sometimes they never go back. Some people go and do it again a year later. But it also opens a window of opportunity because you're feeling relaxed, you're feeling better. It makes it easier to start doing some of the other things to take good care of herself, which might even include psychotherapy or journaling.
Speaker 4: But it's it's that's one of the few. It's one of the things I encourage people to look into.
Speaker 3: So that can you say those three things one more time?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The three the three things that I would recommend right off the bat, sleep study, hormone, pianel and stellic ganglian block therapy.
Speaker 4: And then go from there.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then what because I know you mentioned protein you talked about you know that we don't we aren't get enough protein. And some people say up to one gram of protein per pound.
Speaker 4: Or pound of body weight.
Speaker 3: Yep, And it's it's probably slight correction there. On myself, it should be one pound one gram of protein per pound of desired body weight. If you weigh three hundred pounds but you're trying to get down to two hundred pounds, then you should have two two hundred grams of protein.
Speaker 4: And there is a there is there's different ways of getting protein.
Speaker 3: Obviously, different foods have different different types of different levels of proteins.
Speaker 4: But one thing you can use.
Speaker 3: To give yourself a jump start on the protein is essential amino acids EA's, which are the nine essential amino acids that our body cannot produce on its own.
Speaker 4: If you take about ten.
Speaker 3: Grams of essential amino acids with a big sixteen ounces of water in the morning.
Speaker 4: You're giving your your body.
Speaker 3: Not only are you hydrating yourself, but you're giving your body the equivalent of about fifty grams of protein you can get, you know, twenty five to fifty percent of your daily protein needs this way. It's cheap, it's easy, it's very effective, you get really good protein synthesis, and it doesn't break your fast.
Speaker 4: So if you're doing intermittent.
Speaker 3: Fasting, baas only have like four four calories, so it doesn't it doesn't end your fast if you're doing intermittent fasting.
Speaker 2: And then you also mentioned creating, which you know, like I used to use when I was lifting, but apparently it has more benefits than just.
Speaker 3: For working. I've come to believe we should all be taking creating at least five grams. I take fifteen grams a day, and it is important for lifting and strength training, but it's also a really good brain health supplement.
Speaker 4: And that's recent news. That's recent data.
Speaker 3: In the last three or four years, a number of studies come out showing how good creating is for our brain.
Speaker 5: Creatine is like I think it's considered the only supplement that really has like robust medical you know, academic backing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that plus plus megative B vitamins. But that's more complicated. Interesting. Yeah. One thing, one thing just to throw out there for you guys and your listeners. There is an online magazine called Havoc Journal, hav Okay, Havoc Journal, and they they are it's free, it's online, and they're mostly targeted towards veteran soldiers first responders. I just published essentially a super abridged version of the Operator Syndrome book on Havoc Journal.
Speaker 4: So it's in four parts.
Speaker 3: The fourth and final part just published today and the other three parts published each of the the previous three mondays. So if you go to have a journal search Operator Syndrome, this four part series should show up, and it's essentially a condensed you know, four magazine articles that condenses a lot of the book into one place. Yeah great, And where can people find you?
Speaker 4: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: I don't want to be Okay, Well, what I.
Speaker 2: Meant is, I mean, I know you mentioned that you weren't really on social media.
Speaker 3: I know you had.
Speaker 2: Unfortunatetion with LinkedIn and stuff like that. You know, are you anywhere where people can like follow your work or.
Speaker 4: I have I have a website.
Speaker 3: It doesn't necessarily change very often, so it's not like there's a web newslink or a newsletter there. Chris free dot com is the website. But I'm trying more and more to just kind of keep a low profile. I live in rural Hawaii. I don't be my house very often. Yeah. I want to do and want I do. It's not things I'm gonna I want to publish or put out there on social media. So I mean I maybe intentionally a little bit art art defined.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and are there any follow ups to I mean, I'm sure you guys are constantly learning new things. I mean, it almost feels like it's going to be a living documented you know.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so I am working on a couple of papers right now. You know, there will be scientific publications, I hope at some point in the next couple of years, and that will add a little bit. I think the transformative research going forward is not going to come from me.
Speaker 4: It's going to have to come from other people.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm old, I'm not that invested in my in the academic world anymore. But there are people who are There's a psychologist in the VIA system who is who's essentially, you know, I think, trying to make that his career goal to collect the longitudinal not just the cross sectional, but the longitudinal data to begin to better understand operator syndrome. And he's at one of the polytrauma centers that may change their name to the to something something Operator Syndrome program. At least that's their tentative plan. Do we have questions? Yep, we got one from m Corbin.
Speaker 7: Could any treatments help address the negative cognitive effects linked to digital device addiction?
Speaker 3: M If I had a simple answer for that question, I would probably become a very very wealthy person. I don't know if specific treatments other than any the kinds of things that work for addiction.
Speaker 4: Might be relevant.
Speaker 3: The cognitive therapies the there's probably If you look at one series of books that I kind of like, are the Easy Way books, The Easy Way to Stop Drinking, the Easy Way to Stop smoking. I wonder if they have an easy way to reduce the digital But when it comes to digital porn addiction, things like that, those are those are those are medically different, physiologically different from building up tolerance and then experiencing withdrawal from a substance like alcohol or opiates. On the other hand, they have a lot of similarities, including how the brain brain, the reward centers of the brain fire. So I don't have I'm sorry, I don't have a really good answer for that, other than what's out there for addictions.
Speaker 2: Are there any emerging treatments that aren't really widely known yet that you're excited about or decide about the possible?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think a lot of the things that we're looking at right now with related to psychedelic medicines, transcranial magnetic stimulations, hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I think those are some of the things we're going to know a whole lot more about in a few years. And there's some really promising things that we're learning in each of those areas.
Speaker 4: Hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Speaker 3: Five years ago, I thought we kind of, you know, we kind of looked at it and then decided it wasn't worth it, it didn't produce enough benefits. We're going back to that now. I think it is in part because the Israeli research program. The Israelis have changed the protocol that they're using for hyperbarics and getting very very different and very good results with it. So I think for all people who've heard, well hyperbarics don't help with TBI or PTSD, maybe they do. We just haven't been giving enough of a dose. So more sessions and at a higher level of pressure, I think is what the Israelis are doing. Please go ahead. I'm just gonna offer one other thing. I mean, there's I'm sure there's many things I don't know of or understand. There are probably a hardly a month goes by when I don't have somebody reach out to me with a new product or a new gizmo or gadget the purports to do this or that. Some of those probably have you know, value right now, I think it. The part of the challenge is sifting through all the noois to find the signal there is something I'm intrigued by. There's a there's a mono keytne ester called Delta G and it was initially funded. The research on this was initially funded twenty five years ago by DARPA through their you know, their their super Soldier program, and then it got kind of shifted over and it was a scientists at Oxford University in Britain and with the NIH funding. Anyway, this thing is on the market now. You can go look for Delta G and you can find this keytne ester.
Speaker 5: And I took a Havy Tone energy drink before we started Delta Delta G key Tone Ester, Delta G key Tone Ester.
Speaker 3: It's there's a number of them on the market and I'm not trying to be a salesperson for this. This this product other than it's different from the other products. It will put you if you take about thirty grams of the stuff, it will put you into a very deep state of katosis in about fifteen to twenty minutes, so it's very happens very fast, and it will last for four or five hours, so a deep state, almost immediate and lasting. And one of the thoughts and I've I've gappled.
Speaker 4: With the stuff. I've used the stuff.
Speaker 3: It probably a pretty good two month run and found it to be very helpful in a variety of ways for myself, including cognitive sharpness. And part of what DARPA was looking for was to be able to take a soldier who sleep deprived and physically exhausted, give him a little shot of this stuff and have him him cognitively restored to be sharp again. There's another piece of this though, the deep katosis seems to produce a very an anti inflammatory response in the body. And so one of the things that I've wondered about, and this is just me spitballing here, but as a use case, could you use this with some operators that are going to go on let's say a breaching or a shoulder fire rocket training day. Take a dose of this stuff before the training and then maybe four or five hours later or maybe at the end of the day. If you do that while you're training and really reduce the inflammation in the in the nervous system, Yeah, that be neuroprotective.
Speaker 4: And I don't know the answer.
Speaker 3: This is a this is just me spitballing here, but there are things like that that I think we're we're going to be digging much more deeply into and as the as the years go by. The Delta g you can buy it, you can purchase it. You can get their website and purchase it, but it's very expensive, so there aren't many of us that are going to use it on a regular basis unless we have the DoD or the Tour de Frant's money supporting supporting our habit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one last thing that you mentioned that caught my attention because people have mentioned them before to me, but I don't quite understand them is peptides.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us a little bit about that? Not very much, because I don't know very much, but I will say. What I will say is one of the places where a lot lot of guys are finding relief or a regenerative medicine clinics or sometimes referred to as functional medicine clinics where they're using peptides X homes AD plus infusions stem cells to treat a variety of things related to brain health, joint health. A lot of these clinics also do the stelic ganglia and the aketamine infusions, so they can be one stop shops for a lot of the different kinds of interventions that might be useful. And they will do.
Speaker 4: A deep dive on nutrition and.
Speaker 3: You know, they'll get a full panel of all kinds of things like about your vitamin D levels, but with fifty other metabolic markers, and then they will tailor a treatment or a supplement regime for you, reasurement for you based on your numbers.
Speaker 4: So I think I think.
Speaker 3: Regenerative medicine functional medicine is going to be a place that we see much more important things happening for people with operators syndrome. Chris has been amazing. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. This has been good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 5: The book is amazing and winks will all be down in the description for people who want to find the book or want to find Chris's website.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was there anything that we failed to ask you or anything that we left out there if you wanted to talk.
Speaker 4: About nothing comes to mind.
Speaker 3: We probably could sit here for another five hours, though, and find a steady stream of.
Speaker 4: Things to talk about.
Speaker 3: Oh I could.
Speaker 4: So you'll just have to invite me back another time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Thank you so much, Chris. We really appreciate it. You bet, Thanks, thank you, Thanks everybody.
Speaker 3: Good night. Hey guys, it's Jack.
Speaker 5: I just want to talk to you for a moment about how you can support the show. If you've been watching it, enjoying it, but you'd like to get a little bit more involved and help us continue to do this. You can check out our Patreon It is patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse, and for five dollars a month you can get access to all of these episodes.
Speaker 3: Of The Teamhouse ad free.
Speaker 5: The same goes with our affiliated podcast eyes On with Andy Milburn, Jason Lyons mcmulroy that one, you will also get all of those episodes add free. And you support the channel and the show, and we really appreciate it. The Patreon members are literally what has helped this company and this small business survive, especially during our early years, and you are what continues to help this thing going even as we navigate the turbulent world of YouTube advertising.
Speaker 3: So we really appreciate all of you guys.
Speaker 5: There's going to be a link down in the description to that Patreon page, and there is also going to be a link to our new merch shop, so if you guys want to go and get some Teamhouse merchandise, we got stickers and we also have patches, and I should mention if you sign up for Patreon at ten dollars a month, we will mail you this patch as well, so we really appreciate that. But they're also for sale on the merch shop and additionally they got t shirts up there, water bottles, a tote bag, coffee mugs, all that good stuff. So please go and check them out and support the show. We really appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you,